[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Work in Progress, "Another Pleasant Johnny Sunday" Edition

>Full-on /WIP/ OP Links Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/BE42AEcD

>WIP Tutorial Images Mega
https://mega.nz/#F!TvQFCaLb!w8WZKCcOsTRasxrI0JWezw

>Saint Duncan's "Six Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Painting"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufP8ka3KGno

>Saint Duncan also explains thinning your paints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

>Paint thinning 102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI

>Darren Latham's 20 top tips for miniature painting success
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERXNObqeNb8

>4 EASY Chipping Tricks For Beginners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4comhKHJM

>Decal Like a Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYKLiEW7p9c

>How to Edge Highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRbYuAfbEk

>How to use contrast style paints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhholrozptI

>How to Paint with Tremors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

>Who's Johnny, she'd say, and smile in her special way
https://1d6chan.miraheze.org/wiki/Johnny

>Previous Threads:
>>93762034
>>93739957
>>93713955
>>93688167
>>
>>93786033
>That fountain statue
Now that is something I like. A true hero to behold.
>>
Is it worth learning how to turn inks into washes when washes in dropper bottles already exist? I already bought ArmyPainter washes, but suddenly I'm feeling like learning to make ink washes.

>>93784188
They're still on bilibili.
>>
File: IMG_5580.jpg (599 KB, 2400x1600)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>93786033
Workin on a Destroyer Tank Hunter styled Leman Russ Vanquisher. Any ideas where to put the pintle mounted weapons now?
>>
>>93786293
In theory you can get more for less if you mix your own via inks. That being said whether you will get value of the extra effort spent doing that is the question. If you are frequently using a large amount of washes, like say massive terrain pieces or something, then sure it makes sense. If you are just doing simple washes on models then pre-mix is perfectly fine. As always it comes down to personal preference.
>>
>>93786489
I dont get it, whats wrong with the pintle mount you have right now?
>>
>>93786654
I'm dumb, I meant for the hull-mounted lascannon.
>>
>>93786669
You know I should have interpreted. Id say probably in place of the driver view port, and then put something of a view port higher up? Is there room for it to be co-axial?
>>
>>93786669
I would have said a CROWS setup on the commanders hatch, but you have a stubber there. You got a way to make the lascannon coaxial?
>>
Has anyone made a "modern" johnny using the newer mkVI beakie kit?
>>
File: 1000001207.jpg (113 KB, 1512x2016)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
im trying to move her skin into the pale silver gray instead of the mid gray shes currently at
>>
File: IMG_4578.jpg (2.44 MB, 4032x3024)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
Incase the anon who posted this is around, could you show the back of the model so one can see how you handled sizing up the mk3's resin legs?
>>
Painted some of the guys, unfortunately most of these were not mold friendly (the mouse on the barrel would break apart badly when removing it :/, i need to make them thicker...)
>>
>>93787298
Why would you post this on the internet?
Do you have a humiliation fetish or something?
>>
>>93787303
NTA but please, post your own models. Please, we're begging you. Provide content to the thread instead of being a gigantic bitch. I could go make the single most hideous abomination to ever grace the tabletop by dunking a $500 model in a bucket of paint and it would still be of higher merit than your contributions to the thread.
>>
>>93787303
Do you?
>>
File: 172436013787884203.jpg (304 KB, 1439x1544)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>93787325
Ok. I am working on this guy. He is basically table ready.

I still really want to know the motivation of posting such low teir work other than to be a troll
>>
>>93787303
No, just happy on how the miniature i sculpted came out.
It's a Little hobby, you don't need to be perfect, as long as you are enjoying doing something.
>>
>>93787359
Are we in a competition? My minis aren't fighting your minis. This is for our enjoyment not to dunk on other people
>>
>>93787359
And you say this while being a troll that posts low tier work? Be more self aware m8.
>>
>>93785952
Give 'em to me, I'm the exact opposite. Luv kitbashin', luv assembling, 'ate painting.
>>
File: file.png (1.83 MB, 1189x901)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
I just painted this guy and im pretty glad it turned the way it did
It's from the Bestiarum Miniatures collection called something of Allstein
>>
>>93787165
looks good so far, always appreciate the grissaile
>>93787298
cute :)
>>93787359
good flesh tones
>>
>>93787359
see

>>93787378

what did you use for the flesh tones? it looks really good for being o black primer (i presume)
>>
File: 20240901_181440.jpg (2.91 MB, 4032x2268)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
I got this table ready for flocking, but what are the pros and cons of each type of material I could use? The alternatives I know of would be the small pellets flock, static grass and astroturf-like mats. Is there a choice that's especially suitable and roughly how much do I need for a 6x4' area?
>>
>>93787298
nice mice. you playin mouseguard, or just doing critter warriors for fun?
>>
>>93787480
I started with a base of vallejo heavy sienna, then flesh wash over the everything.
Then just black wash in the recesses and a gradient from sienna to heavy flesh.

I need to clean the clothes up a little bit and I'm calling it good. He is for table not competition.
>>
>>93787509
All I know is that fuzzier stuff like static grass is harder to put miniatures on top of. The flatter the surface, the more stable they stand.
>>
>>93787544
I think static grass is more of a model railroad/scale model thing so you have a point that it could be difficult to play with
>>
>>93787529
Props for actually posting models anyway, good job anon.
>>
>>93787359
It's not just the minis that are WIP, anon. We are as well.
>>
File: file.png (1.09 MB, 686x930)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>93787509
I'm in the process of making my own battle mats with vinyl prints. When I have a bunch maybe i'll post them. I think it's better to do it this way because you can then do terrain pieces and scatter them to be played on an even surface without having to worry about the models getting wobbly. Also you can do several "biomes" like that.
>>
not_darren_latham is gone:(
>>
>>93787721
Who?
>>
File: PXL_20240902_091651366~2.jpg (1.18 MB, 2210x2557)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Skipped a bit a head to the eyes. Pretty chuffed how they turned out.
Still trying to figure out how to add some moss/rust, like the guy in the last thread suggested
>>
>>93787298
S O U L
>>
>>93787749
Eyes look great. How? A tiny fuzzy brush and a greyish brown stab into corners of mushrooms and such to add texture. Not hard
>>
>>93787583
Vinyl prints? What are vinyl prints? Sounds interesting
>>
>>93787509
Looks good so far fren. I think static grass looks good, but the shit floats around in the air and isn't good to breathe. Should be applied outside with a good mask. Also most people use too much of it, sparingly it can look good especially if the ground is prepainted underneath to give color variety and the grass is painted to have even more variety, but nature is all about variety so you want rocks, grass, leaves, sticks, sand, cat litter, everything really, different textures and colors, but remember it's a play mat so needs to be level enough to put characters on. Most of the details should be PAINTED on with cheap acrylic paint or cheapest house paint even for really large sections. In the water areas prepaint the sand and water colors and then apply very thin coats of water effect gel and shit like that for glassy effect or use a simple gloss varnish brushed on. It's not hard to make it look like water. You just paint the effect like all else. Same with roads or sticks, all can be painted.
>>
>>93787721
Good. Not gonna take painting tips from a tranny-loving nonce.
>>
Putting some skin on my Eureka Amazons.
>>
>>93786293
Yeah, let's you understand paints better, I made my own contrast paint cos I wanted to see if it was possible, just a boy of fun
>>
>>93787891
Would would would would would would not would would would would would would not. Not bad ratio.
>>
>>93787303
>Nooo it needs to be a toy of a guy in space armour Le epic skulls!!!
sure buddy
>>
>>93786293
It's worth it if you want cheaper washes/contrast paint inks and worth it if you want a color you can't find or don't currently have access to or a higher concentration you can't get a hold of. Since you can always dilute a paint, but not really make it more concentrated sometimes you want a really strong paint and so if you have access to inks or dry pigments or dyes you can make a super concentrated wash, paint, dye, or contrast paint, but for the average guy is it worth it? Not really.
>>
>>93787359
Kek those mice mog this
>>
>>93787886
Since when?
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 341x424)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
Can I look up paints by RGB anywhere? I need pic rel, or something close. Sick of mixing.
>>
>>93787970
nevermind, turns out google is enough lmao
>>
has anyone here used the AK wargame washes? ive never used enamel paints / washes before, how do they compare to the acrylic ones?
>>
Need a nice basing scheme for my Skaven that won't require me going out and rebuying a ton of basing materials (getting back into the hobby and don't have the space for tons of cork and shit) but I am really drawing blanks, any recommendations?

I am painting the army to a higher standard (best I can anyway) so I want to do something more exciting that plain flock or texture paint
>>
>>93787970
mix green into any tan, done. Especially good tans to use are the sickly greens fleshes, but any tan with work as long as it's not too bright.
>>
>>93787359
I mean I am glad you actually posted a model/wip but at this level you really shouldn't be acting like such a cunt lol
>>
Anyone else have issues with AP fanatics barbarian skin? The coverage is awful, at least I we dark brown. Have not had issues with other paints in the range
>>
>>93787970
rgb values given ofpr paints are useless 90% of the time
>>
>>93787891
>Amazons
>both breasts intact
>>
>>93787529
thank you, i need to remember to try that in the future!

>>93787526
Sculpting them just for fun!

But i've been pointed to check Burrows and Badgers so maybe i'll see if i can convince my friends to try that game and use all the 70+ minis i made so far ahah.
>>
>>93788146
Depends on how ambitious you want to be.

Garbage pile: fill the bases with random stuff, paint it scruffy (Takes time and effort).
Raiding party: Human house floors, like wooden planks or tiles (Lollypop sticks or a grid shape to press into putty).
Warpstone mine: Green rocks strewn about (Can be pretty easy, or hard if you want them to look like they glow).
Good old sewer: Wet goop on big tiles with the odd pipe (Would need a water basing material of your choosing, and perhaps some plasticard to make tiles. Pipes can be improvised).
Forest floor: Small stick and leaves (Pour some tea bags onto your bases, ????, profit).
Desert: Sand with the odd rock or cactus (Raid the local playground and sculpt some simple cactus blobs out of anything).
>>
>>93788336
You say that like they're historical.
>>
>>93787886
rent
free
>>
>>93787859
>but nature is all about variety so you want rocks, grass, leaves, sticks, sand, cat litter, everything really, different textures and colors, but remember it's a play mat so needs to be level enough to put characters on. Most of the details should be PAINTED on

I'm planning on doing door mat fields and forest bases since the board itself should be generic enough to pass in both 15 and 28mm. Scatter terrain of larger boulders, fallen trees, bushes etc seems like an obvious supplement. I also have a ton of 15mm buildings and fences to paint.

Do you have any examples on how painted on details looks like? Getting a rattlecan on lighter brown could be useful for creating more nuanced earth texture and the roads will get a proper paintjob. I suppose a mixture of flock and even painting over flock with airbrush or can also would break up an otherwise monotone board
>>
File: AnneFoersterDIYwash.png (306 KB, 400x510)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>93786293
This is the best recipe I've found. The sealer (I use matte varnish) is MVP for making it dry with a smooth finish.
I would go through so much wash if I used AP droppers.
If you're using inks instead of paint, it would require making the non-ink part of the mix thicker. Maybe use matte medium instead of varnish. There's definitely a calibration process, just have some test minis or a sprue or something.
>>
>>93787891
>anime background
>booba get natural blur
Are you in Japan?
>>
>>93787886
Ye what happened there. I thought he is a decent looking guy with a good job and a passion for 'art'.
>>
File: IMG_2985.jpg (1.99 MB, 3501x2455)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
4 more !
>>
File: 20240902_155241.jpg (227 KB, 1440x2560)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
Is this rust in my water trap? I never leave more than a few drops of water inside. I rarely use my airbrush, I used it maybe 4-5 times since I bought it almost a year ago. Is it possible that leaving it idle for weeks caused this? It was stored in a cabinet, with air released of course.
>>
>>93787298
Otter knight and pirates are great, always look forward to seeing your stuff.
>>
File: EfKpoymWkAcqSa0.jpg (56 KB, 712x712)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>93787721
I don't think he ever bothered to throw the mini NMM vid Darren posted to Instagram ages ago
The titlecard's cropped badly because 'lol Insta', but the rest of the vid's fine for anyone who's interested https://files.catbox.moe/58ur6c.mp4
>>
>>93788844
It's possible there's rust in the compressor, and it shot it into the trap the last time you used it. Obviously the plastic isn't rusting.
I would call the manufacturer, rust in a compressor is dangerous.
>>
>>93787953
Look into a mirror and stop being weird.
>>
>>93788930
*looks into mirror*
>Would you would me? I'd would me.
>>
>Assembled a Myphitic Blight Drone
>Panelgap everywhere
FUCK PUSHFIT
U
C
K
>>
>>93788941
That's what nurgle rot and typhus corrosion are for.
>>
>>93788911
It's weird that the water is perfectly clear. I checked pictures of rust in water trap online and all of them have brownish water trapped inside. In my case it's a few specs of something bright orange (almost red irl) trapped in drops of water.
>>
>>93788980
Flash rust can be pretty bright.
I don't see what else it could be.
>>
>>93788941
Did you clip off the pegs and use plastic glue to melt the sides together?
>>
>>93789162
Not on this one, I only noticed how shit it was after I already joined the first pegs, then I broke off shit while trying to force it apart. Next one I build I'll do exactly that though
>>
>>93788783
Loving it
>>
>>93788844
Looks too red for rust. Looks more like paint or debris, could be one of the seals is corroding, do they move around or stuck on the sides?
>>
>>93788783
They could invade Cambodia and do what our pentagon cowards were unwilling to do. Win the war.
>>93788283
Haven't tried it, but my P3 midlund flesh or whatever it's called was horrible in the last shipment, super watery, had to let it thicken up before use so maybe they are made in the same factory and they had a bad run. There are far less companies than we are led to believe and sometimes there are trends in production problems.
>>
>>93788783
double check the seal on your citadel paints, one doesn't look pushed down enough in the back.
>>
>>93788930
The man who sung "man in the mirror" was a transracial sexual pervert. I think I'm fine.
>>
>>93789374
There's some paint deposited on the back so it won't close fully at this point. I thank god every day that I transferred my citadel shit to droppers and only have a couple of their paints left
>>
>>93789384
Use toothpick to clean fren. So easy, it peels right off.
>>
>>93789395
yeah that's what I used to do. Sometimes the more hardened paint would not peel so easily though. Honestly I just fucking detest GW for still using those godforsaken pots
>>
>>93789406
Everyone does. The original 1988 pots were the best. You can still buy them as empty pots. I use them a lot.
>>
>>93788844
Try to empty your trap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtuyjFYVTI&t=140s
>>
>>93789379
What are you even talking about. Weird jump in logic really.
>>
>>93788844
after you empty the moisture trap empty the tank, usually there's a valve on the bottom to let out moisture on the tank and a button on the bottom of the trap to empty that out. You need pressure in the tank to empty the trap so do that first.
>>
>>93789430
Claiming I'm weird when I'm on topic is projection. Mentioning a mirror in the first place was strange.
>>
File: file.png (999 KB, 1046x377)
999 KB
999 KB PNG
Testing ideas for plasma damage on a spare helmet.
What do you think about these? Do they look melty enough?
>>
File: file.png (2.45 MB, 1440x1440)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB PNG
So, the finish on this 3D print has been surprisingly amazing. I'm wondering what color I should go for. I'm inclined towards Khorne red, but a friend suggested me to go for something wild like Emperor's Children pink.

>>93789494
It looks pretty gnarly. Remove any unwanted strings that might be around and get gorey. Maybe scorched meat color would be legit.
>>
>>93789494
very melty, would eat
>>
>>93789507
start with kr, and highlight with emperors mixed with white and blue, it would be a cool lighting scheme good for moonlit sky
>>
How do you do blood effects? I know theres a plethora of different brands selling products and just wondering which are worth using or if they're pretty much all the same.
I used to use the GW version and it was fine but after not using it for a while I ran afoul of the gw paint pot curse and the whole thing has cured into a bloody puck and I need to replace it.
>>
>>93789523
UHU glue + red
>>
File: P1011366.jpg (521 KB, 1612x1209)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
>>93786033
I tried something similar with some crappy Reaper Bones. Weirdly, I tend to do better mixing my own verdigris with blues and greens.
>>
>>93789343
>do they move around or stuck on the sides?
Only as much as the water was moving during the painting session.
>>93789420
I empty it after every session since I'm using it only once every few weeks but the amount of water collected there is extremely minor in general.
>>93789433
I did drain the tank before and there were no traces of rust. I opened it now as well and there was not a single drop of water inside - literally nothing poured outside.
>>
File: P_20240902_203542_1.jpg (544 KB, 2226x3638)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
Thought I should take a WIP picture of this repentia to see if I shouldn't just strip her down and start again. Obviously very not completed but I'm kinda happy with the skin tone at least.
>>
>>93790165
I think you can get it table ready with a little wash and dry brushing.
If you are making a display piece, unfortunately, I think you should start over.
>>
>>93789523
Any blood effect paint works. It's a bit sticky. You can stipple, rub, or if you water down you can paint or flick on with a brush, lots of options. Youtube videos blood effects miniature painting will show you how. Old school way of doing it was red pigments that were transparent and enamel paint with thinners by the way. That's basically all they do now too.
>>93789833
That's weird. You can do a full disassemble of the trap from the part it inserts into and rewrap with teflon tape for good seal and see if anything has corroded, could be a red seal or something. Maybe the teflon tape or teflon glue they used was red?
>>
>>93790165
I think it's good, Flesh looks nice, colors work well together. A little more detail in the leather and metal parts and you'll be rocking
>>
>>93786033
Will a regular hair dryer heat up a styrene sheet enough to bend it?
>>
Maybe dumb question but you know how plastic glue can help melt and smooth abs plastic bits? Is there anything that can do something similar to resin? To help smooth jaggedness from cuts and edges. Even if its toxic and I need to be outside to use it
>>
>>93790316
It should, reports confirm, styrene is pretty soft, try low option first, then high, I know hot water can do it so it should work.
>>
>>93790506
Arigato mi amigo
>>
File: breakyou.jpg (11 KB, 474x267)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>93790445
There is no known solvent for resin once it has hardened, at least not anything safe enough to use outside of specially controlled labs, the resin polymerizes into a firm and sound structure so it can't degrade without extreme heat or cold, enough to crack it, it can't be melted or dissolved in a conventional way. It must be BROKEN.
>>
File: file.png (250 KB, 401x267)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
what shade should I put on this to make it look less like poo? or should I just drybrush it?
Astrogranite and Tallarn Sand might not have been my best idea.
>>
>>93790807
alternate dark brown mixed with dark grey stippled all over especially in the recesses, then dark grey alone here and there same, use present color as warm highlight
>>
>>93790807
Stick some pieces of corn in it.
>>
>>93790807
Do you still want it to look wet, like mud, or is a more "earthy" (but dry) look acceptable?

I was thinking a darker brown wash like AP Strong Tone or Agrax Earthshade, followed by a lighter brown colour drybrushed (Citadels Doombull Brown or Mournfang Brown) and finished off with a lighter drybrush (XV-88 or even Steel Legion Drab - but that may be *too* light!) only on the highest points.
>>
>>93789704
Beautiful work, anon, I love your minis and I wish you would post more.
>>
>>93789704
Looks great
>>
>>93790807
Matte varnish. It looks like poo because it looks wet.
>>
File: file.png (843 KB, 531x644)
843 KB
843 KB PNG
ignore the marine, still figuring him out.

>>93791008
went with agrax earthshade and a mournfang drybrush. I think I let it pool too much on the top there, but I don't hate it?

>>93791167
gave it a coat of lahmian medium, it's not a varnish, but it is matte. kinda helped methinks.
>>
>>93790807
Wash, drybrush and matte varnish.
>>
>>93791189
>taco bell, not even once.
>>
>>93788844
Turn off compressor and release pressure. Hold heavy part of compressor in lap so trap is accessible near top pointing left, grab glass trap (it's actually plastic) and twist forward and whole trap can be unscrewed and cleaned. You may find debris inside like a red rubber ring degraded or it could just be rust or something. Reattach and run again for a while. You have a lot of moisture so it must be humid where you are at.
>>
>>93791189
You killed him. He was my fren. :(
>>
>>93790807
moar rocks, more grit means less poo. Too smooth
>>
File: IMG20240702135016.jpg (441 KB, 1656x1145)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>>
File: PXL_20240902_195835044.jpg (3.34 MB, 4080x3072)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
Speed painted these over the course of yesterday and today was fun

Was fortunate enough to have my lfgs owner gift me a copy of dominion when i bought skaventide

Just wanted to get them done quick
>>
>>93791432
>my lfgs owner gift me a copy of dominion
selling fast :^)
>>
>>93791455
Yeah definitely something i never would have bought but was happy to receive.

He literally said "get this out of my shop" lmfao

Great to flesh out the start to my stormcast army and these guys were a good warmup to get back into the swing of painting
>>
Any suggestions on how to bend wings back into shape? I recently bought a few demons and I need to reshape them because they got bent in the boxes.
>>
>>93791568
apply heat and gently bend, quench in cold water afterwards
>>
>>93791568
pour hot water over them to soften then gently press down between soft towels.
>>
>>93791432
looks good fren. Box of fun!
>>
File: raspy and wendigo.jpg (309 KB, 1042x740)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
Started a new Malifaux crew, went a bit ott with the blood but lesson learned for next time.
>>
>>93791631
I don't know what these are or where they're from but they look really good, anon.
>>
Working on my Skaven, which do you like better? Left has no wash and finished non-edge highlights, right is with a wash added.

I'd probably prefer something like brown lining everything or an oil wash, but I really don't have the patience to do 60 clanrats that way

My goal is a high quality paint job, I'm really trying my best in this army
>>
>>93791732
Definetely right, the left one looks very flat. If you're aiming for a high quality paintjob you could try doing some simple volumetrics but yeah painting that on 60 rats might be too much
>>
>>93791631
nice!
>>
>>93791732
wash looks better, it's worth it, do the washes all at once, that way you have table top ready ahead of time
>>
>>93791614
>>93791617
Thanks, this worked great. I just ran them under hot water in the sink for like 30 seconds, bent them, and then ran it under cold water. Worked like a charm
>>
>>93791732
That's a lot of brown, what are you finishing the robes in? Right btw
>>
File: 165098.jpg (53 KB, 640x480)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>93791827
>>
>>93791841
TTD demon red
>>
File: victory.jpg (20 KB, 474x316)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>93791827
>>
>>93791862
Nice
>>
Stripped, cleaned up, reassembled... Now onto painting. Hating myself for doing big projects but hoping to break it up by doing a wing at a time.
What you anons got going on?
>>
>>93792179
Nice, I have an old collection of blood angels that I rescued from myself and stripped, now I just have to put together all the bits and see how many complete models I actually have.
>>
File: 1661693196606326.jpg (1.65 MB, 2572x2048)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>93792179
10/10 sir. Prep work is done. Good job

I'm digging myself out of a deep depression and I'm painting Chaos Raptors for a CSM army I started in 2022 and haven't touched.
>>
>>93792179
nice! not painting today, trying to relax a bit before work comes in probably starting tomorrow, I reconcreted the grout of some bricks around my house that were loose earlier today and cleaned the yard a bit before it got hot
>>
>>93791432
>dominion
What's dominion?
>>
>>93792198
fine looking band of smurfs
>>
File: inspector-gadget.jpg (1017 KB, 1000x1333)
1017 KB
1017 KB JPG
>>93792179
I'm assembling the funny stilt boy at the moment
>>
>>93792204
It's the best card game ever made, heavily recommend checking it out.
>>
Whats the best way to strip primer of a miniature.
>>
>>93792235
with the standard miniature paint strippers and a brush and toothpick for getting into tight spaces. Here's instructions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4LvjqL6Jk
>>
>>93792198
Good luck on recovery anon, hopefully some chill painting will help the mind
>>
>>93791750
>>93791796
Left is now a more targeted wash, do you still prefer right?
>>
>>93792294
I do, it's more grimy, good for rats. But it's totally up to you. It's your rat :)
>>
File: PXL_20240902_214133732.MP.jpg (562 KB, 2271x1277)
562 KB
562 KB JPG
>>93792294
>>
File: n1b2kvu8az061.jpg (796 KB, 4752x4231)
796 KB
796 KB JPG
>want to make tech barbarians from Marauders
>want to use a non human skin colour, not very happy with the skin colour paints I have

What paint should I use to get a colour like this? Something smooth with good coverage, I will have 30+ bare arms and torsos to paint.
>>
File: 61tgPfA.jpg (47 KB, 800x450)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>93791420
>>
>>93792377
I prefer left here, more vibrancy and colour whilst now having a good amount of shading/grime.
>>
It's amazing how much better the lighting is in my storage closet than at my painting desk

Controlled wash on all the reds, now blocking in the metals
>>
File: PXL_20240902_235540306.MP.jpg (851 KB, 3180x1789)
851 KB
851 KB JPG
>>93793388
Why am I mobile posting retard who forgets images?
>>
File: 14.png (3.9 MB, 1680x2034)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB PNG
Ive never done green stuff before is there anyway to get the fingerprints out when its already 2hrs in? I had to try 4 times to get the homemade greatcoat to look how I want.
>>
File: ogryn wip.png (5.91 MB, 2651x2854)
5.91 MB
5.91 MB PNG
>>93793971
>>
File: IMG_5582.jpg (653 KB, 2400x1600)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
Alright, just gonna use the old driver's view port as the placement for the hull mounted lascannon/weapon options. In the meantime I wanna add a new viewport for the driver (Or maybe just like a camera or something. Does it look fine here or should I try it on the left side?
>>
>>93793971
>>93793977
The best advice at this point would be, wait until it is all the way dry, then use a tiny tiny bit more to smooth over the finger prints. But also glue your model to a base and get a painting handle. I dont know why but the monkey hind brain cannot help but put our thumbs right into the wet putty the second we rotate the mini.
>>
>>93794007
Looks good for placement. Pro tip. Dont use green stuff, use milliput instead. After it dries, milliput is hard like ceramic, and it can be filed and sanded down to have really nice flat edges that will look great on a vehicle.
>milliput good for armour
>greenstuff good for organics like tenticles
>you can mix the two to get a hybrid of the properties.
Personally I mostly use 1:2 or 1:3 green:put or just pre milliput cause im lazy.
>>
>>93794008
>I dont know why but the monkey hind brain cannot help but put our thumbs right into the wet putty the second we rotate the mini.
THIS. I just KEPT doing it. Ill let it cure and work on it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks anon.
>>
File: IMG_4645.jpg (2.43 MB, 4032x3024)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>93787178
They are wip, ill give your another picture when the backs are done. This one actually doesnt use any of the back of the legs. I just the back of the primaris legs (which the front plates are grafted too. You can see I kinda messed up, and took off too much material so I had to putty some back (right leg done, left leg to do).

The stuff on the right was a though experiment. I drilled a 100mil hole down the leg, then boiled the resin and forced a 125mil rod down them, which stretched them out. It was really hard to do, and honestly it didnt get the legs big enough around, but they are noticeably bigger than they started so that was kinda cool.

In case you were curious about the torso. I bisect it insert 60mil between the front and back halves. At this point I bulk out the torso with putty aiming to use the old belt as the bottom of the ribcage. Then a make a new belt below that using 60mil half round and 15x60mil stock.
>>
>>93792436
Apple barrel lavender.
>>
File: 172494093957727680.jpg (1.16 MB, 2699x3599)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
How do you guys think my first attempt at wings turned out? I like them.
>>
Spent my day off working on this mini. Need to wait for some flocking to arrive by mail before I wrap it up.
>>
File: 1719807324759300.gif (302 KB, 612x608)
302 KB
302 KB GIF
>>93794620
My condolences, Anon. I'm in a similar boat and very worried I might end up like you, leaving me procrastinating on my painting. Bought a bunch of tabletop stuff to complete armies I have from the past and started a new one. Deep down though I'm afraid my best friend/gaming buddy might just lose interest and I'll be stuck playing solitaire games against myself in the end.

With my words of condolences and my own situation of the the way, do you enjoy tabletop and painting? If so, take a short break. If you feel like you are forcing yourself to do it for your friend, take a longer one.
>>
>>93794454
I like them too. They're fleshy (in a good way).
>>
File: IMG_4876.jpg (616 KB, 1829x2439)
616 KB
616 KB JPG
finally getting back into painting
>>
>>93795256
Holy fuck your transitions are smooth. Fantastic work, anon.
>>
>>93792204
>>93792228
The Dominion >>93792204 is referring to was a boxed set for a previous edition of Age of Sigmar. To me, at least, it seemed to come out at the wrong time and have the wrong models (More Stormcast Eternals! Yay?) in it; there are retailers here that I swear either clearanced their remaining stock or are still trying to sell them at inflated prices.

Someone will likely be along shortly to mention Tank Police, too.
>>
>>93795256
Really nice jewel. Looks like green amber.
>>
>>93794454
very nice, very real looking, and the blue stone weapon is great
>>93794232
looking great
>>93793971
Once it's rock hard you can sand it with a sanding stick. No problem at all, a little water on it and sand the fucker. They sell variety packs of sanding sticks for models on amazon pretty cheap.
>>93793460
Nice reds
>>93794477
Glass looks real. Good job.
>>
File: 172445634985977182.jpg (1.17 MB, 2699x3599)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>93795504
Any advice for cleaning up the clothing and horns?
>>
>>93795402
Gangly Orks? What in the goddamn?
>>
In anon's opinion, which looks best when done well on a (chaos?) space marine of any type? An application of contrast paints done carefully, panel by panel, clear and without pooling, and a few choice applications of glazing for color depth and variety,
OR
A well done airbrush paintjob gradiant on the panels using 3 or 4 different shades of a color to achieve the smooth gradiant?
>>
>>93794232
What the fuck? Drilling resin and boiling it to insert rods in and thicken it? Thats frankly amazing. I know resin becomes soft when heated, but to stretch it to make a bigger leg? Honestly kind of a gamechanger. I some some mk3 resin legs I might want to try that with
>>
>>93794232
For all that effort, you could could just recast them yourself. You make silicon molds, then soak them in mineral salts. Then you make a master from that to make proper new molds from so that when it all evaporates again and they shrink, you're good.
>>
File: IMG_20240903_154153.jpg (314 KB, 1713x1996)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
I really like the kabbalite green and runelord brass. First time using them
>>
>>93794477
What's a strange model. Like the robes, but the skin tone and bronze metal are too similar.
>>
>>93795551
What do you mean by cleaning up?
>>
>>93795564
The latter. There's not enough detail on the panels for contrast paint to do what it's good at.
>>
File: IMG_0069.jpg (2.21 MB, 4032x3024)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>93795629
Here is the model those stretched legs were from, I plan to just bulk them up a tiny bit before reassembling him. You can see the legs are on the scrawnier side, the read more like mk2 than mk3.

>>93795713
Casting has always been something I’ve been interested in, but I just have taken the strop cause every time I research it I never get a clear cut answer as to what materials to buy. But regardless, can you reiterate with more detail as to what you mean? I have never heard of such a method and cannot seem to Google search the matter.

After I finish making this model the way I am satisfied with I was thinking about trying to cast from him.
>>
>>93795564
If you apply the contrast the way you're describing it will most likely end up being smooth wth 0 volume and since there's not much detail on power armor for it to flow into it will just look like a slightly more vibrant regular basecoat. You could do some good preshading by brush/airbrush(not that slapchop shit) and put the contrast over that, would look good. Out of those exact 2 you mentioned though airbrush will look a lot better
>>
>>93793460
Looks nice now, good job. The gaps kinda stand out but it probably won't be visible from tabletop distance
>>
File: file.png (1.42 MB, 1034x634)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>93791167
>>93790887
A drybrush of Tallarn Sand and an extra layer of matte varnish seem to have made it more earthy. Thanks, anons.

>>93791286
He's in a better place now, anon. (Under the sergeant's foot.)
>>
>>93796487
You didn't drill the gun. Other than that, excellent job.
>>
>>93794236
UK so not easy to get Apple Barrel, how are Humbrol acrylics? Their pastel violet looks the part.
>>
File: 20240903_111654.jpg (664 KB, 1526x1187)
664 KB
664 KB JPG
i love my super hobby action fun center 9000
>>
>>93796016
I also like kab green, nice colors fren
>>93796487
Get the medic, we can stll save him
>>93796523
Don't know about modern humbrol but humbrol was the origin of citadel and ral partha paint lines actually, secret history, they made enamels and some rare colors could only be found there. Partha paints and citadel copied many colors. So I say go for it. But as a tip there's no difference between apple barrel, delta cermacoat, and folk art paint. So if you find one it's just as good as the other. Also if you happen to find old bon artiste paint still wet... well that's basically partha paints. The only reason we have samples of citadel paints still good is the polypropylene paint pots they used, magical shelf life.
>>
>>93790203
Thanks. I'm just trying to paint to good tabletop standard.
I did notice many hidden places not in direct line of sight where I had messed up the cleanup job on the model itself, so I should probably strip her and start again.
>>93790219
Thanks. My camera really doesn't like vallejo metallic paints for some reason.
>>
>>93796681
Jigsaw? Nice
>>
>>93796499
Thanks! I really gotta put those drills I ordered to work, but I'm still scared of drilling into my plastic. I don't really have any spare parts if I fuck up.
>>
>>93796975
take a nail or something pointy to spot the center first, and the then drill slowly
>>
Any tips on shading lighter colors? Painting a light green flag and want it to retain the lighter color. Got highlights done, but it still feels incomplete somehow without a wash.
>>
>>93796997
slowly mix your desired shadow color into your midtone and paint thin layers into the shadows
>>
>>93796364
>>93796294
Thanks anons, I guess I have to be painting a dunking a text mini alot to see what I like, but seems airbrush is the way.

I thought contrast was supposed to give a slightly more varied, interesting affect when it dried on flat surfaces, but I think I'll go with smooth gradients instead
>>
>>93797156
>I thought contrast was supposed to give a slightly more varied, interesting affect when it dried on flat surfaces
I mean, if grunge and stains is what you want, sure.
>>
>>93796408
I definitely messed up putting some of the models together, that will be the last time I rely on the push fit pegs. Going forward I'll just nip the pegs and use plastic glue like normal
>>
I think I'm going to paint the rest of the army like the testmodel.
Background was just a quick little doodle to set the mood.

Anything I could make better?
>>
>>93797395
I'd say the green cloth looks unpleasant, but it works cuz its a skaven
>>
I've been in this hobby for 4 years now and I still don't get how to thin metallic paint without it becoming it becoming basically useless.
>>
>>93797459
I've been doing this for almost 30 years, and I never thin it.
>>
>>93797395
I don't have any technical advice cause it looks fantastic, but I gotta say I'm not a fan of normal eyes instead of red beads on skaven. It brings their energy down from "unholy abomination" to "rat dude".
>>
>>93797663
Yeah that is valid.
Bright Yellow it is.
>>
There used to be a grimdark compendium MEGA around, are the new videos worth saving or not? Some of the miniatures from thumbnails look nice, but there's a fair number of clickbait shit on the channel. I don't wanna bring youtube drama here, but I need to know if it's worth archiving, no interest in knowing if this guy is married and who fucks his wife.
>>
>>93786033
>wishing well Johnny
Alright that is beautifully charming, and quite a well executed model paintjob for the project to boot.
>>
>>93797395
>Do you Catan?
>>
>>93796975
just take a needle, hold with pliars, get hot on stove or over a candle or lighter and touch the end of the gun and that'll give you a starter hole, then you can use the drill bit, just turn the drill bit by hand, as long as you keep it straight it'll be fine, lay a piece of paper on the table and look at it, use the edge as a guide to make sure you are straightish with the barrel. Also use the very smallest bit you have, I mean the very fucking smallest, that makes things a lot better, easier, and easier to correct. Also don't worry too much, you can always fix with green stuff. It's a toy, we can always fix it.
>>
File: xacto.png (119 KB, 754x420)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>93796975
You have a hobby knife right? Like this or similar? It's super easy to make a pilot hole by pushing the sharp point into the plastic where you want a hole and then twirl it around. After a few twirls check that the hole is centered. Obviously be careful and it's gonna take a little practice.
>>
File: IMG_0070.jpg (313 KB, 1200x1200)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>93796975
You really don’t need to be fancy about it.
>take sewing pin and mark center.
>start with smallest drill (should be number 80) and work your way up, check center each time.
Takes about 5 minutes. For plasma I think I like to stop around 72? Can’t remember. Also when checking your center, make sure you observe it at every angle, it’s really easy for uneven lighting to really throw you off without noticing until the end.
If you mess up, apply spruce goo and try again in a week.
>>
File: InvictorDAKKAvariant.jpg (1.43 MB, 4032x3024)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
The Invictor Warsuit sucks, here's how I'd make it better
>more dakka
>Invictor Fist sounds, lame, Invictor Sword sounds awesome
>more dakka
>make in an actual dreadnought coffin thing, not a mechsuit
>more dakka
I think I'm getting there, here's a prop/test fit before the final glueing/painting/assembly
Will proabably take me another month to get there, lmao
>>
File: 20240903_180011.jpg (2.18 MB, 2922x3486)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
Little bit more work on this chap today
>>
>talk to grandma about building models
>says she's got some stuff that I might be able to use
>fishes around in a drawer and produces an ancient pair of flush cutters
>neat, I can always use some extra clippers
>take them home, inspect them more closely
>one of the blades had the tip snapped off
>it's been ground back to a point and resharpened
>figure grandma probably broke them trying to cut something that was too hard and my granddad repaired it
>they're immaculately flush, still nice and sharp too
Thanks, Papa.
>>
>>93799509
The fire is... fire :)
>>
>>93799546
ahh, that's amazing. The power of your ancestors giving you strength today. Grandma knew you'd appreciate them. Took good care. They are your legacy.
>>
recently bought some used warlord caesarian romans and all of their tunics are painted red. is it possible to to paint white over the red (to match the legionaries i already own) or just strip the paint off and repaint?
>>
File: PXL_20240903_175036995.jpg (2.34 MB, 4256x2768)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
Am i as the youth would say cooking with this blue stone or should i start over?
>>
>>93799397
Is that a GP01/Stardust Memory Federation era shield on the front? Sword looks like it is from the Gouf Custom.
>>
>>93799986
Definitely goated with the sauce.
>>
>>93799982
best to strip. White can be painted over red, but you basically have to do pink or grey first, it's not worth the loss of detail, paint, and trouble.
>>
>>93799986
looks good to me. Draws attention up to the statue and still looks same environment. Just make sure mushrooms match in final product and you carry touches of yellow light down onto rock or blues up to the cages so your cooler tones all match or it'll look like two separate objects.
>>
>>93799986
str8 bussin fr on gang senpai. That looks amazing, man. The hypno eye is especially cool.
>>
>>93799986
I have no fucking clue what cooking is supposed to mean in that context but it looks really nice to me
>>
>>93787298
Neat! I'm excited to see the one with the pirate hat. I'd also recommend a big ol rat boy that lugs a two handed cannon and maybe a rapier one, but I'm not so sure how that would take to a mold
>>
>>93787359
Your arm tattoo is positioned oddly so it looks tilted on it. I'd tighten up the lines a bit
>>
>>93787359
That's not table ready, buckaroo
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (976 KB, 1000x1625)
976 KB
976 KB JPG
Check out this goofy motherfucker. He looks so dumb it actually has a certain charm to it
>>
>>93787749
Cool looking eyes bud. As for moss, I would do beds of it for the mushrooms, and rust on the plates and bolts with some streaking. Verdigris would pop really well, but I'd look into how it forms to keep it looking natural
>>
>>93800289
Love the stilt boys, haters are boring.
>>
File: lm.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>93800289
long maaan
>>
File: IMG_20240903_075518.jpg (3.57 MB, 3264x2448)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
Demon bulldog, I like the brindle coat but the face is meh
>>
>>93800289
Without legs like that why even live?
>>
File: IMG_20240903_075528.jpg (3.66 MB, 3264x2448)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
Side view of the coat
>>
>>93800342
He's a good boy.
>>
File: IMG_20240903_075456.jpg (3.21 MB, 3264x2448)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
Does this shield placement look better or stupid? Autism demands that the knight with the one handed sword also has a shield, but it doesn't fit on the billowing cloak per your guy's advice
>>
>>93799986
>>
File: IMG_20240903_075439.jpg (3.51 MB, 3264x2448)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
Same deal with the frog, he's gonna be a hypno toad so I wanted to do a rainbow eye, but I don't think the idea is getting across. The black and white swirly eye from the moonstone guy from earlier is really speaking to me
>>
>>93799986
You cooked up some goated sauce and ate with that paint job. If you're a boomer, add skibbidy rizz to the end of that so you understand what's happening
>>
>>93800380
I.. must... obey... frog.. needs.. flies... I... must... bring
>>
>>93800367
I think it makes sense. I do that with my bags and such, plus I feel like I've seen it on minis before.
>>
>>93800367
>Does this shield placement look better or stupid?
Better than what?

It makes sense, like >>93800473 explained. This guy's obviously not in the midst of a furious melee; rather, he's stopped and raised the visor on his sallet to survey his surroundings and decide what to do next. Should he put away his sword? Ask the party's cleric to cast "Bless"? Retrieve the wooden mallet and bag of iron spikes (quantity: 10) that all adventurers carry in their backpacks?
>>
>>93800473
>>93800658
Thanks frens. I posted a pic a couple days ago with the shield on his back with a GS belt but some good dudes pointed out it wouldn't work cloak wise. Good to know shield resting on the leg works with the visor tilted up, appreciate it
>>
Anyone know any resources to find GW building instructions? Found a nice deal on some new clanrats but didn’t come with instructions since they were from a chopped up box set I assume.
>>
>>93800829
Nvm already found some scans. Thank god to those autist who archive this stuff for the rest of us.
>>
File: 20240624_195646.jpg (561 KB, 1917x2270)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
Thoughts on the Flesh Tearer? Getting ready to paint up my BAs
>>
>>93800852
Nice ultramarine.
In all seriousness I think you've gone a bit over the top with the edge highlight placement and they could be a bit thinner too
>>
>>93797395
I’d love some more pictures of the skin. I’ve been trying to think how I could incorporate some pinkness “under the fur” maybe just a pink wash over a basecoat then last shit up so it’s just the tiniest crevasses?
>>
>>93800829
>>93800840
>Thank god to those autist who archive this stuff for the rest of us.
There's a big community on Reddit that does this stuff, and they're usually more helpful than even GW would be. I myself keep a stack of of the old instructions around, and have scanned many as well. A friend of mine manages a nearby GW and collects the instructions customers discard in his store if they're building at the hobby table.
>>
>>93795256
Do you have any tips for weathering leather? Also I like your weasel, though he looks zonked out on arcane dust
>>
File: P1040044.jpg (192 KB, 1080x1080)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
I was always a little fond of Beholders even though they're the (non-Dragon) poster monsters and with the low frequency I play D&D I would likely never ever actually encounter them in a game as they're rather high level.

Nevertheless, when I had about ten dollars store credit to spend I decided I'll just get one to paint and leave on a shelf. Nolzur's line of minis is a little annoying sometimes as the primer can be a bit patchy making me think about repriming them in entirety when I'm actually painting them.

I'm going to be painting them in a classic-ish outdated kind of look. A gorgon/Medusan green, bold bone colors, yellow eyes...

Anyway, how do you deal with the transparent plastic magical effects for the D&D N's MM line?

I have a few approaches I'm thinking:
>Prime over them and just paint them normally like I would lightning.
>Go over them with a transparent glaze by hand, like with Lamenter's yellow (I'm a bit afraid that pooling in the recesses would look a little weird).
>Airbrush over them with an ink (or two)
>paint over them with a glaze, but also use some inks to have it brighter near some darker areas.

Do you have any examples of the Magical SFX you painted over while keeping the translucency?
>>
>>93796975
Be careful and get a drill bit with its own, very sharp point. The original bit that came with mine was so flat that even with a pin hole, ect it didn't drill. Once I got the right bit, it was perfect and so easy that even a hard like me was able to melagnetize an entire kill team in a sitting.
>>
>>93800852
It gives a cartoonish/cel-shaded vibe, I assume that's intentional? If it is - nice job. If it isn't and you were going for something else - way too much edge highlighting
>>
File: 1714615588604459.png (2.99 MB, 1280x964)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB PNG
What can I do better on next time
I'd like honest critique
All I hear is "that looks great 10/10" which is not true. I'm looking for tips on how to improve.
>>
>>93800070
Shield is from the RX-178 Titans box, just one of those random gundam preassembled models being sold in the Hobby Lobby I walked into. Absolutely right on the sword tho, it's a Gouf Custom, got the minigun shield attachment on the left art too for maximum gat.
>>
>>93800852
looks great, he's battle hardened for sure
>>
>>93801466
looks great 10/10. Seriously though I'll just be more generous with gloss effects. It's a slug, so don't be shy making the underside glossy.
>>
>>93801466
>10/10
Definetely not but I will say it looks interesting and pretty good. All the details are accentuated, it's very neat and the colors work together nicely even if the palette is not exactly my cup of tea. The usual answer to making a mini more interesting is to add more contrast, make the shadows/recesses darker and push highlights further. He looks very, dunno how to put it, natural? But you could definetely make him look more eye-catching as a piece with increased contrast. If you feel like doing something a bit more advanced you could try some basic volumetric highlights, too. Also there are a couple pretty noticeable gaps so try putting some more effort into building. I don't know how much of that shell is just the effect from some colorshift or whatever paint and how much you actually worked on it so can't give you feedback on that.
>>
>>93801466
Fill gaps
It is clearly meant to be a snail, why is the skin dry everywhere except the parts with blood? it should have a satin like gloos on the upper part and some glossy slime in the part of its lower body that is dragging across the ground. Or at least satin shine in the crevices of the skin, if you want it to appear rougher.
The shell is too large to be left as just a colourshift paint. Give it a black oil/enamel wash and use the "scars" on it to break the shine.
I can't tell if the ground is supposed to be dry or wet, but in either case, that thing is draggin itself across it. You need to integrate it more into the base.
The eye stalks appear to end in a dark metallic, same with the claws, the transition could be better. You could also go for actual snail eyes, but they could look more silly than alien.
>>
File: file.png (3.56 MB, 1450x1158)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB PNG
>>93801466
use reference photos for ideas, and fill in the gaps with green stuff or milliput
>>
>>93801633
Those eyes see my soul
I am unsettled
>>
>>93801466
Fill some gaps, lighten up the teeth, and I would do some different levels of shading and washes on the shell. It's obviously very big and old, the shell would take on different colors due to age and also given the type, varying levels of an oil like sheen
>>
File: file.jpg (26 KB, 495x326)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>93801643
lol, they are the funniest part of conch snails
>>
>>93801594
>>93801601
>>93801633
>>93801644
The shell is a colorshift from Turbo Dork with some drybrushing to highlight and some shading in the recesses. I get what you guys mean about how the shell could be improved, I appreciate that.
I was torn on making him slimy or not. I felt there might be too much gloss between the shell and the body, but I suppose it could go either way. Any tips on achieving that effect aside from a gloss varnish?
The gaps I do feel bad about. I'm terrible at the modelling aspect of this hobby, any time I fill gaps with green stuff it's always a noticeable seam. I need to spend more time on improving that.
>>
>>93801653
Bottom right looks like a Pixar character
>>
>>93800252
>I don't know what "basically table ready" means
>>
>>93801654
unless you're secretly a great at nmm i suggest using a combination of satin varnish and gloss varnish
>>
>>93800289
Id love to see a conversion of just a normal dude with a sniper up on huge ass periscope lookin thing.
>>
>>93800311
Now that I assembled him I actually really like the upper part. If they just put him on something other than stilts he would've been fantastic
>>
>>93801818
Naw, the stilts are the best part. It's just the right amount of wacky.
>>
>>93801527
I actually have both of those. Shame on me for not realizing that was a RX-178 (Titans). I have failed.
>>93801466
I recognize that snail.
>>
Struggling to focus on painting my first Carnifex and may need to take a break for a bit, so I built up Old One Eye now that I’ve gotten my hands on him. I always liked the guy and figure I can make some replacement mandibles for him, but during assembly as I was digging for good bits I found Telion. I don’t even remember how/why I got this guy, but I do know that I don’t really like him, never used him and he’s also the guy who got Oldy stuck into his second ice bath.
Since I plan on putting him onto one of the modern larger Fex bases sideways (so there’ll be space for added detail while he’s facing forward), I think I could have some fun here. How should Old One Eye get his revenge?
>>
File: file.png (679 KB, 1000x1397)
679 KB
679 KB PNG
>>93800311
I don't mind the idea itself, it just sucks because when I look at them I can only think of how much better Dishonored did it.
>>
>>93801897
It's all good, man
To be honest, I've never seen either on-screen, my brothers just had the models so I liked how they looked
>>
>>93801654
I do like turbo dork, but I would still suggest a mix or some washes on lower parts to bump up a color shift. As for the slime,I would do a matt varnish up top, and a gloss on the foot where all the mucus is
>>
>>93801969
>How should Old One Eye get his revenge?
If that's a Finecast Telion, you shouldn't feel bad about slicing him into pieces and burying part of him in rubble/basing material like the Primaris Apothecary's base-topper.

I was looking to see if I could get ahold of some replacement mandibles for you, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. People who know what they have jack up the prices, and people who don't know or don't care put them in a pile with a hundred other unlabeled bitz.
>>
>>93787359
This is the ugliest fucking mini I've ever seen in my entire life.
>>
>>93801699
>10% of the way done on a shitty paint job.
>Shit talk the paint job of hand sculpted minis
Sounds like you're "basically" a faggot
>>
>>93801466
The shell is way too clean and shiny, it looks like it was cast metal that someone polished and strapped to a slug monster.
Also what is that? It's cool as hell.
>>
>>93802010
Zeta is a masterpiece of a show. Highly recommend watching it.
>>
File: IMG_20240903_172802.jpg (1.68 MB, 1792x1544)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
First freehand banner I've done so far, I did heavily steal a design I saw online but still really happy with how it turned out. Practice for my next one which will be the BSB. That said any feedback is appreciated.
>>
>>93802083
Slug the Snail God by Witchsong Miniatures
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-slug-the-snail-god-390186
>>
>>93802007
Well, looks like a doable conversion.
>>
>>93802156
Looks good to me.
>>
>>93801969
Circumcision.
>>
>>93802156
Is it an Orc banner? Because if so whilst that is a nice design and all it seems too neat and clean to have been done by Greenskins.
>>
>>93802156
Pretty good for a first, I'd recommend picking up the highlights on some areas of the banner tails.
>>
>>93801339
>how do you deal with the transparent plastic magical effects for the D&D N's MM line?

I never have but word around the campfire is that inks are the best method as long as they are quality enough to grip the plastic and not tidepool.
>>
>>93800380
Hard to do that on so small eye(s).
>>
File: lemartes0709d.jpg (82 KB, 671x521)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>93802060
>>
>>93803385
Lemartes is cool, fuck you.
>>
>>93796523
>>93796686
Not all craft paints are created equal. I would put apple barrel a step below folk art, and the folk art lines can be fairly different from each other. The best answer is to read the label and test it out.
I don't have experience with humbrol but if it's part of citadel's DNA it's probably very good.
>>
>>93798315
I shit on him for strictly hobby reasons, he made his fame by using AK's products and then tries to steal their customers.
>but Duncan did that with GW
GW deserves it though, AK is just doing their own thing.
Anyway, all of Grimdark's videos are the same, Cult of Paint and Feral Painter will show you similar techniques while having more (any) creativity.
>>
>>93787359
>low teir
>teir
4chan is ultimately an imageboard. We shit and insult each other all the time, but when an (original) image is provided, the board tends to be more honest. Assuming the poster doesn't act like a faggot, kind of like you
>>93787298
Are fun and dope as hell, they got that unique spirit, like Redwall or Mouse Guard type stuff.

What the fuck did you post, half-naked nigger man?
>>
>>93803364
I've tried the best acrylic ink brands out there and they all tidepool, they're not intended to be used like we use them. Just add medium, it makes inks much more orderly. I haven't applied pure ink to a mini in months.
Test it out first, different mediums make the ink act differently.
If you want deep, even staining over transparent plastic, it will require an airbrush or two thin coats with medium.
>>
>>93803026
I dunno, an enterprising grot could have had the brief flash of true artistic ability.
>>
>>93803385
Cute
>>93802156
Boar banners are based
>>
File: 20240903_210109.jpg (1.03 MB, 1866x2332)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>93799509
Almost finished
>>
>>93803941
nice badie
>>
>>93803941
Very nice.
>>
>>93803941
I don't like the skulls, they look a flat
>>
>>93804103
I'm not him but I think it's the lighting. The shading on the skulls is clearly visible, the highlighting doesn't go as bright as it could for a bleached skull, but I don't know if he wants to mess with that now, they look fine IMO.
>>
>>93803805
I dunno, but them crudely painting over a stolen banner would make sense to me.
>>
>>93804169
Yeah, I'm not totally happy with them right now. But as I said, it's nearly finished. Still some work to do on it, but I ran out of daylight and I'm reluctant to do anything else on it untill tomorrow
>>
File: servitor.png (1.26 MB, 1080x928)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
Slowly painting up some little guys for an inquisition kill team
>>
File: IMG_20240903_222555.jpg (3.3 MB, 1792x2498)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>93803253
thanks! will look at doing that tomorrow.

Here's a group shot of everyone so far, still wip.
>>
>>93804467
You left your servitor out in the rain and he got all rusty, shame on you.
>>
File: IMG_20240903_222308.jpg (2.41 MB, 3984x1792)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>93803026
might do some weathering once the rest of the unit is done
>>
A couple of pieces had to go back in for another round, but not a bad haul for what I paid for it.
>>
File: 040342755-MP.jpg (323 KB, 842x1200)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
I decided to start with the hair for some reason. I think I have the colors for blonde hair right, but I'm too stupid to understand specifically why it looks so bad.
Taking suggestions for the skirt/shorts color. Feel like there's a lot of white already.
>>
>>93804752
all clothing transparent of course
>>
>>93804752
I think maybe the hair has too much contrast and there are far too many of the bright almost white highlights
>>
Do you ever get into a hobby and spend way too much on paints?
>>
>>93804752
is she asian
>>
>>93804910
I craft my own out of material I find in the woods
>>
>>93804955
nature is metal
>>
One ... or two painstaking colours at a time ...
>>
>>93805044
Now paint 500 more
>>
>>93801653
GARY!
>*mow*
>>
File: P1040045.jpg (180 KB, 1080x1080)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
Going to try painting the laser blasting eyestalks later when it's not 2am and I can use the airbrush.

Plus I've got one last highlight on the green to do.

I'd probably would have saved a lot of hassle if I just dry brushed it, desu but I went tryhard mode.
>>
>>93805515
It's always nice to try hard something once in a while to push yourself or keep your skills sharp. Looking great so far, be sure to post the finished boi.
>>
File: 1711808802171343.png (164 KB, 500x587)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>93805044
>contrast paint
>painstaking
>>
Why can't I just paint my plastic out of the box instead of always fiddling with some ghetto conversions and 3d printed bits?
>>
File: 1721941400843838.jpg (25 KB, 360x360)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>93805044
>pill bottle painting handles
>>
>>93806004
>pill bottle
I thought those were jugs for piss samples
>>
File: 20240904_052056.jpg (4.35 MB, 4000x3000)
4.35 MB
4.35 MB JPG
>>93806013
Lul. I can see why. They're actually a clever little design tho. The lid is threaded on the outside as well, so it can be inverted and screwed on like pic related. It's a bit of a legal workaround, to fulfill the obligation to have childproof lids, but also accommodate people with limited mobility.
>>
File: 20240904_101947.jpg (1.83 MB, 2398x3679)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>>93804233
I think it looks better in daylight. Calling it a day on this one
>>
>>93804940
no, she just has down syndrome
>>
>>93804483
Old school, vibrant, cartoon villain orcs. I like it.
>>
File: gettyimages-694115210.jpg (161 KB, 768x1152)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>93804752
Hair flocks together into bigger clumps and doesn't have deep shadows, because hair is a very diffuse surface that light penetrates and bounces around in.
>>
thank you postal service for granting me 3 day vacation from painting and 2 nights worth of sleep because you did not deliver my paints on time again
>>
>>93806602
>not having everything in abundance at home
>>
File: file.png (551 KB, 1143x672)
551 KB
551 KB PNG
I want my Kasrkin to have separate eyes, but I don't know how to go about it. Think I can pull it off with paint, or should I attempt some greenstuff wizardry? It's a rather tiny space.
>>
>>93806762
good thing about ordering more paints every month is that i have the time to imagine new shortcuts by trying new paints
granted my actual old painting skills deteoriate year by year the more easier it gets and that is pretty sad
>>
>>93805770
Nomodels seething at the mere mention of painting
>>
>>93806781
How much detail is on the model?
>>
>>93806781
You can sell the illusion from a distance with paint, yes, like some do with black spots instead of drilling barrels. The best option for close inspection would be adding a tiny amount of greenstuff/milliput and sculpting that, because you need to raise the area. Unless you plan to carve some depth in the middle of the visor, but looking at the surface and surrounding details it's not going to be easy.
>>
>>93806781
take a dremel with a 1mm or smaller endmill (with very slow speed), carve the shape of the individual eyes roughly, then fill and shape with gs
to make it more consistent get some sort of half tube with the appropiate size to make the indent in the gs
>>
File: file.png (264 KB, 486x669)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
>>93806781
Personally, I'd just do a little strip of greenstuff to extend the facemask into a little nose bridge
>>
>>93807304
somehow i doubt anyone has that steady of a hand to mill an eye with dremel bit when even painting an eye white needs sowing needle and ultimate precision
>>
>>93807124
Not sure what you mean.

>>93807138
>>93807374
I'll give greenstuff a chance. It just occured to me that I can roll it out first and then (try to) cut out tiny squares to put on the visor.

>>93807304
Carving into the model sounds like the opposite of what I'm trying to do here. Also I don't have a dremel.
>>
>>93807444
>Not sure what you mean.
What do the goggles look like in grey plastic?
>>
File: visor.png (516 KB, 444x589)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
>>93807383
you dont need any of that precission, just enough to remove the required material to then reconstruct it

>>93807444
you would need to remove material to make the gap around the eyes, so first carve it out and then reconstruct the new shape

I'm asuming you dont want a bulge between the eyes but rather keep the current visor level with the eyes cut out

if you are good enough you could carve the gap with some of those tools made to carve panel lines too, but that seems harder
>>
>>93807444
>>93807485
is it this one? if so just carving the groove seems way easier to do since the helmet isnt in the way, you can get into it with a regular xacto knife even
>>
File: file.png (182 KB, 446x415)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>93807466
Gotcha. Pic rel.

>>93807485
Ah, good point.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (164 KB, 731x711)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>93807530
maybe actually attach the image
>>
File: afafgtrhs.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>93807535
>>93807536
I don't know what tools you have, but this would be really easy with my Dremel or glass engraving kits.
Pic related, but way smaller.
>>
>>93807535
>>93807536
so all this time that new karskin kit always had a separate face
why not just cover the visor with some putty and make new one with new nose ridge with normal tools, no need for all this complicated dremel stuff
>>
>>93807596
best I can do is a hobby knife and maybe a hot needle
>>
File: IMG_20240825_194444~2.jpg (715 KB, 2283x1414)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
I am really enjoying my 10mm project. Here's everything that's finished right now, I got a bunch more primed this morning.
>>
>>93807614
You might be able to get a little bit of a better result if you snap the tip off your hobby knife and use it more like a scribe for panel lines. Or even heat that up instead of a needle.
I'd probably sprue goo the middle part to erase the line, clean it up a bit if necessary, then just scribe the new ones in. Like the picture >>93807485 posted.
>>
>>93807657
Holy shit anon that is so small, nice. I automatically enjoy anything desert themed so I like it a lot
>>
>>93806004
They made the bodies so much easier to prime. All I had to do was rotate the handle in my hand and I was able to spray all around. It worked so well, I just left them on there as I started painting. The arms, shoulder pauldrons, and worky bitz got the "strip-of-tape-on-a-Cumbl-box" treatment like normal.
>>
>>93807753
you could also go with the "i will be pinning these pewter parts anyway so i might as well use that with a piece of wood" -treatment
>>
File: P_20240904_160851.jpg (1.23 MB, 2444x3699)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>93790165
She's okay for tabletop I guess.
>>
>>93807926
She looks quite nice anon. Up close the skin looks a bit rough but literally nobody will look at her from that distance so it's all good.
>>
>>93807926
gonna do more to the base?
>>
>>93807750
Thanks anon. After years and years of 28mm I wanted to try something new. I've kinda fallen in love with the French Foreign Legion in North Africa. I knew nothing about it before starting this project, I just picked these guys on a whim after watching some FFL movies.
>>
File: IMG_20240822_212802~2.jpg (250 KB, 1803x1477)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>93808450
Tiny truck
>>
>>93807657
Matte varnish on the trees might make them look less plastic. Nice basing otherwise.
>>
>>93807657
>>93808505
i like tiny truck
did you print the tiny hut
>>
>>93808505
cute
>>
>>93808001
Thanks for the feedback. I keep getting dust specks in my paint because I can't help living like a slob.
>>93808143
Yes, I'm just going to paint a few models and then paint their bases and varnish the models all at once.
>>
>>93808651
>>93808900
>>93808961

That's the plan, I've got a bunch more trees to base first.

Nope, I got it from "paper terrain" a long with a few others. I need to make them still, but they're kinda a pain to do. At least they were really cheap.

Thanks for the good words anons. I appreciate it.
>>
File: 20240901_164358.jpg (311 KB, 904x1000)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
It's WIP-Wednesday.
The Sump Horror for Necromunda.
>>
>>93809135
> I got it from "paper terrain" a long with a few others. I need to make them still, but they're kinda a pain to do. At least they were really cheap.
its called papercraft and while it takes some time getting used to it is really really cheap, even better if you happen to own color printer
>>
File: 20240904_152140.jpg (1.65 MB, 2570x3020)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>
File: P1040047.jpg (183 KB, 1080x1080)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>93805515
What do you think? Better with a "Bzowt?"
>>
>>93809359
What's all this then?
>>
>>93809398
still good and still lacks a base
>>
>>93809398
Nah, too loud.
>>
File: P1040035.jpg (298 KB, 1080x1080)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>93805536
I do have one nominal additional highlight to do but I think at this point I'm like "meh, it's good enough" and not motivated to do a tiny dot highlight to the lips and a hundred scales again.

>>93809476
I'm keeping the transparent base disc it came with, not because I'm lazy, but because it bothers you, specifically.

>>93809532
Yeah, I can see that. What if I had only one or two of the eye beams?
>>
>>93809808
>I'm keeping the transparent base disc it came with
in that case that base is actually pretty nice if its really store bought and came pre painted like that
>>
File: IMG_20240904_190351.jpg (1.6 MB, 2219x2702)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
Tips for better hazard stripes?
>>
File: IMG_20240904_084708.jpg (3.84 MB, 3264x2448)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB JPG
Hey thanks guy you painted the cool looking moonstone with swirly eyes. I snatched your idea right out of your head, but on the plus side my life has been a lot better since I started leaving decisions to the hypno toad
>>
File: IMG_20240904_084827.jpg (3.75 MB, 3264x2448)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
A bloody shroud I'm working on, still need to do the bottom teeth and finish the crystal and cave floor, but what do you guys think?
>>
>>93810157
cutey
>>
>>93809532
>too loud
>>
>>93809808
>Yeah, I can see that. What if I had only one or two of the eye beams?
Probably. If you get rid of the orange one that would help a bit. Since blue and green are already present in the color scheme.
>>
>>93810800
I.. don't remember this reference.
>>
>>93810899
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt2BN9SeZsc
>>
>>93810899
>>93810937
One of the many ironies now that the dates in the Back to the Future trilogy have come to pass IRL is that Huey Lewis called out Marty for being "too loud", and now Lewis is losing his hearing (because of Meniere's disease); I suspect Weather will probably be his last album.
>>
File: 20240904_223749.jpg (834 KB, 1613x1210)
834 KB
834 KB JPG
>>
Just primed some shit with the new lacquer surfacer for the first time. This shit is awesome. Covers great, no clogs, dries instantly so you can just handle the mini directly.
>>
File: WIP base for Risen capt.jpg (408 KB, 1567x2047)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
chopped up an ICC banner for a submerged statue, post texture pasting I usually do forest themed so should be fun. Finally finishing up this Risen captain
>>
New thread:

>>93811275
>>93811275
>>93811275

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.