[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6437.jpg (871 KB, 1007x1313)
871 KB
871 KB JPG
>>
i don't want to leave the fucking house, fuck you
>>
>>198535778
Wasn't there a membership service like this and it went bankrupt?
>>
>>198535778
>What if McDonald's sold cutlery
>What if Coca-Cola sold windows
>>
There's literally nothing stopping a movie theatre from projecting Netflix movies and charging for it. Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>198535778
will there be penis inspection?
>>
>>198535778
Just as bad as an Amazon theatre where they forcibly inject everyone with Amazon Pharmacy estrogen
>>
>>198535778
Can they afford it? As far as I know they're barely making any money with their current business model.
>>
>>198535850
Yeah there is. No one wants to see the movie that are on netflix
>>
Would it even be legal for Netflix to own such a theater? They could license the Netflix brand to someone like AMC but my understanding is that there were laws passed long ago that prohibit studios from owning movie theaters directly. The reason was to prevent a studio from being able to control which movies the public could view by controlling all the movie theaters in an area.
>>
>>198535842
>what if Coca-Cola started soda bars
This is what you're thinking.
>>
File: sleeve2.jpg (650 KB, 2908x1816)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
I miss the DVD delivery. Nothing was better than getting off the bus in high school and seeing two of these bad boys in the mailbox on Friday.
>>
>>198535778
Netflix already has licensed some movies to theaters, I think they briefly played with the idea of opening buildings but would rather stay strong in their dominant space. They have a pretty good working relationship with chains already, actually, as does Amazon. They and the theaters worked together well during the pandemic when releases were slower and there may even be some additional opportunities post SAG/SWG strikes. I'll say the relationship between theaters and streaming services is not even remotely as adversarial as outsiders like to imagine it is. Hell, most of the studio companies with streaming services have been scrambling back to theaters after realizing they couldn't brute force streaming services into being as profitable as ticket revenue.

Source: Used to work for one of the big 3 US theater chains at corporate.
>>
>>198535778
Just what we need more payment models.
>>
>>198535842
>>What if Coca-Cola sold windows
?????????????
>>
>>198535778
If it meant no black people, people would go back to the movies again
>>
>>198535778
isn't the whole point of netflix that you don't have to go to the theater to watch
it's even in the name: "net" flix
>>
>>198535778
That's kind of cool actually. All you need to get in is be with someone with a Netflix subscription or you can just pay an entrance fee. If they did this, made it more fun than your average movie experience, and didn't upsell concessions this would legit be awesome. Imagine the chaos that would ensue at the Netflix Theaters. It would be the Waffle House of theater chains.
>>
Theaters that are owned/run by Netflix and only show Netflix movies exist in NYC & LA. They are designed solely so that the turbo boomers who vote for awards, that don't have netflix and think movies are only legitimate if they're in theaters, can see Netflix movies. The public can buy tickets to any showing at any time and almost never does.
>>
>>198536080
Absolutely. Mix that with a Gamefly and your night is set
>>
>>198535778
that sounds like a logistical nightmare
Neetflix has already been troubled for years with account sharing, imagine showing up the netflix theater and needing to provide your ID/social security card number
>>
>>198535882
Possibly in europe as patrons could smuggle in outside food and drink in their foreskins but I don't think americans will need to worry about that.
>>
File: Sakura remote.jpg (102 KB, 1273x769)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>198536655
>>198536653
Moreso than movies I think it might be nice to do group watch-alongs for anime seasons
Satuday is Card Captor Sakura day for example
>>
>>198535778
They'd lose a lot of money on the license to show all those movies to the public.
>>
It would only work for exclusive movies only releasing for 2 months and being churned to the platform later.

And maybe marathon festivals:
>Come Goon on Wednesday Adams! Showing all episodes this Friday
>>
>>198535778
Interesting idea but society is not ready for it.
>>
>>198536747
If I was in charge of Netflix I would make it a large cineplex with a bunch of different smaller screens with smaller seat numbers that are playing a bunch of different Netflix and design it so that you could spend all day there if you wanted, going in and out of any screening rooms you wanted. Make it kind of like growing Netflix in person. fuck I should get into business, what have I been doing with my life.
>>
>>198536916
they'd probably become homeless shelters unless the subscription fee was very expensive
>>
>>198536916
>The Episode were anon accidentally builds Goon Bunkers
>>
>>198535778
There's laws against studios owning theaters. Not that laws mean anything to corporations, but this would be a step backwards for Jewflix
>>
>>198535778
>What if
>>
>>198536747
see that would be fun
>>
>>198535954
They got rid of those laws during covid.
>>
>>198537137
Is that... Is that true?
>>
>>198537035
>accidentally
>>
>>198537052
That only ever applied to studios established before 1948 and that law was abolished in 2020.
>>
>>198537017
Make them expensive and put them in white areas.
>>
>>198535898
there's always money in the concession stand
>>
do american theaters not have subscriptions? I thought you guys started the subscription meme. I pay 20 euros a month for unlimited tickets
>>
>>198535954
I know the law you're talking sbout but Paramount's parent company owns theaters so I'm not sure how that works in reality.
>>
>>198537398
regal unlimited
>>
>>198535778
Probably the most embarrasing tweet and post here I have ever seen.
>>
>>198535839
idk why you retards always post these half remember things when you can just google it and get an answer. its like you have an active need to appear and be stupid.

anywaya, there was MoviePass and it did go bankrupt, but actual movie chains like AMC and Regal have started their own subscription services which are pretty successful
>>
>>198537398
Every time it's been tried in America, the service hemorrhages money and then gets shut down in a couple years. The only people that buy it are the people that were whales, so it actually loses them a ton of money every time someone subscribes.
>>
>>198535850
Yes there is, it would literally be illegal to do so. why is everyone on this board a retarded third worlder?
>>
>>198535898
Netflix has been making tons of money, they just had one of their best quarters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2024/04/18/netflix-reports-record-profits-as-subscriber-growth-tops-estimates/?sh=19952a81222b

> Netflix’s $9.4 billion in first-quarter revenues and $5.28 profit per share were comfortably above consensus analyst estimates, with Netflix’s top and bottom line marks both the best in its history.

>Perhaps most impressively, Netflix’s 9.3 million of paid net subscriber adds was about 70% above analyst forecasts, sending its global subscriber base to a record 270 million.

you idiots need to stop taking everything you read on 4chan as gospel, it makes you look like a retard
>>
>>198537512
fucking nerd
>>
>>198535954
>>198535898
Netflix already owns two theaters, the Paris Theater in NY and the Egyptian in LA. Why are you all so fucking clueless?
>>
>>198536653
U saying I can finally get laid…. Do if Netflix AAHH
>>
>>198537398
What a retarded waste of money there enough good films released in 12 month to justify the price unless your happy watching the latest 3d animated kiddy slop 9 months out of the year
>>
>>198536220
see
>>198537692
>>
>>198537684
>lashing out at people that know more than you like a nigger
lmao yeah you're a third worlder alright
>>
>>198537545
why do you say shit that is so easily proven untrue? Both AMC and Regal have very succesful subscription services that have been going for years, god you're retarded

>>198537052
see
>>198537692
you're also retarded
>>
>>198537747
take a hike, bozo
>>
>>198535778
On a wide scale, absolutely not. Netflix appeals to people because they can sit at home, in bed, eating slop, trying to fuck their partner, and relaxed.
It would just increase netflix's overheads and few people would show up - not enough to justify that tiny amount of additional revenue it would bring.
BUT on a small scale, like 2 or 3 locations, it could be really kino.
Start with LA, NYC and London. Put a ton of effort into making the locations a proper competitor to imax. Do something to separate themselves (like using led screens instead of projectors). Tickets are relatively cheap but you have to be a subscriber.
Always has a screening room for whatever the most popular film on the netflix charts is.

Some netflix films would really benefit being seen in the cinema (like The Killer or Roma). And they often need to give their films limited releases for awards eligibility anyway.
>>
Hear me out: theaters with access to the entire Netflix catalog, right? Naturally Netflix original movies and shows are on every week, and it works like a gym membership: if you have a subscription you just scan a card by the entrance and you're in. The subscription, of course, gives you access to the full Netflix content on your tv, so you're paying for the big screen, really. Every week, you can vote through an app to pick a few out of a choice of 20-30 movies that will be shown on the theaters, which give you an opportunity to see classics on a bigger scale than usual.
>>
>>198537986
That sounds, and I'm trying not to be too harsh here, but that sounds like the most miserable, pointless thing I have heard of in quite some time.
>>
>>198537702
they show classics every 2 weeks so it's worth it for me for that alone, new releases are just a bonus for free.
>>
>>198535842
>What if Volkswagen sold sausages?
>>
File: 1623360928889.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>198535778
this would be a great idea if we locked the doors behind them and filled the netflix theater with zyklon b
>>
>>198535839
MoviePass was a retarded idea because they weren't run by the theaters and so still had to buy the tickets. The unlimited ticket subscriptions the theaters do are pretty good and work because there's a good chance you'll buy snacks especially because your tickets are basically free after the first two so you feel more comfortable buying snacks.
I spent 9 hours at a Regal last Saturday and plan to do it again tomorrow and next Saturday
>>
>>198535778
An immensely stupid idea. Netflix doesn't gain anything from this, and only loses. Think about. They need to spend hundreds of millions, or maybe even billions either building new theatres, or buying and converting older ones. Then apparently only letting subscribers use it? How does that work? Turn away the dudes who don't have a subscription? Have them pay more for the privilege? What it all leads to is empty theaters. Even more empty than cinema currently is anyhow. The whole appeal of Netflix (and other streaming services) is getting content served to you at home.

This is truly the most retarded fucking idea I've read in a long time. And I've seen some shit.
>>
>>198537603
No it's not illegal. I can invite anyone to my house to watch a movie on Netflix. I can also charge people for this experience. It's perfectly legal, because Netflix doesn't limit how many people can view a movie from a Netflix account. Free market economy, so I can charge people for this experience. Of course, I will highly competitive with theatres in that my movie tickets will only be a few dollars. The advantage is you get to see movies projected on the big screen with a nice sound system. I'm thinking of charging $3 per ticket.
Imagine how much money you could make rescreening Tarantino films.
>>
>>198535778
The quality of Netflix sucks ass and would look and sound terrible in a theater. Also the point is to watch any movie or show you want comfortably for a long as you want or if you want to stop halfway through and do something else and pick it up later.
>>
>>198538420
> I can invite anyone to my house to watch a movie on Netflix. I can also charge people for this experience.
No, you cant retard. That is illegal, check the terms of use.
https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse

>The Netflix service and any content accessed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household unless otherwise allowed by your subscription plan. During your Netflix membership, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable right to access the Netflix service and Netflix content through the service. Except for the foregoing, no right, title or interest shall be transferred to you. You agree not to use the service for public performances.
you are so fucking stupid dude lmao
>>
>>198538515
So just declare the theater your household and they can't touch you.
>>
>>198538420
>Of course, I will highly competitive with theatres in that my movie tickets will only be a few dollars
why are you ESL third worlders so retarded?
>>
>>198535799
This, I was hoping theaters just died and all movies were on demand... Are you fucking kidding me??? Hahaha i got a ban for making a rÄ—ddit joke
>>
>>198538420
I haven't looked Netflix ToS but I'm sure it's just like DVDs, anything but private home screenings not allowed
>>
>>198538536
god you are just the dumbest person
>>
>>198538420
You are the stupidest fucking nigger if you believe any of that. You can't charge people to watch your netflix shit, because they own copyright over their IP. Yes, if you do it with a few friends, you probably won't face charges, because frankly that's small shit and not even worth their time following up on.
>>
>>198538545
The mods were correct. Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>198535778
no thanks i dont support, anti white slop.
>>
>>198538107
I would eat it.
>>
>>198538560
Lurker here. Explain
>>
>>198538623
No, and kill yourself dumb dumb.
>>
>>198535778
Literally illegal vertical integration.
>>
>>198538694
It is not illegal. You fell for fake news.
>>
>>198538649
>random passerby innocently asks for an elaboration
>autist spazzes out in anger out of nowhere
Literally why? Are you a schizo who's out of his meds or something?
>>
File: Volkswagen-Sausage-TN.jpg (159 KB, 1800x1800)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>198538620
You're in luck then.
>>
>>198538596
Go the fuck away mod
>>
>>198537914
>led screens
A theater-size LED seems too costly though.
>>
>>198536916
That only works for Netflix originals or you'd have to pay the licensing fee to show all the other movies & shows. It's why movie theaters make nearly all of their money on the snacks & drinks.
>>
>>198535839
amazon did this with grocery stores
>pick it up and go
and it lost money or something idr
>>
File: Untitled.png (23 KB, 897x213)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>198539691
They stopped because they didn't actually have the technology to track the purchases and it was just a team of Indians watching you through cameras. This is real.
>>
>>198538793
>for your personal and non-commercial use only
commercial meaning you make money from it. additionally
>You agree not to use the service for public performances
the meaning of this should be self-evident

anon "spazzed out" because the other anon is incapable of reading and/or reasoning. I would also be justifiably frustrated
>>
>>198538515
>may not be shared with individuals beyond your household
that's not illegal, it's against their TOS
>>
>>198539834
No that isn't real, you retard. They used Indians to label training data for the model. The model just had shit accuracy so they shelved it.
>>
>>198539874
>No they didn't use Indians to verify purchases because the AI didn't work, they just used Indians to verify purchases because the AI didn't work!
>>
>>198539892
Learn what supervised learning is before speaking to me again.
>>
>>198535778
hope they do this and invest lots of money in it
>>
>>198539980
No.
>>
>>198539864
terms of service are legally binding because the people putting their movies on Netflix need some sort of assurance their material won't be duplicated. even if you throw out the TOS the copyright holder has... rights against unauthorized distribution of their material

This is the law
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/106
this is the exception to the law for "performances". Note in particular commercial for profit display of the work is not allowed in this section.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/110
>>
wot if
vidya gayme streams
in movie theaters

mental innit?
>>
>>198539874
>They used Indians to label training data for the model.
No you retard.
>>
dead on arrival only used for grooming etc
>>
>>198540020
Terms of service don't supercede law and law says I can show stuff in my own house.
>>
>>198538420
Don't listen to the doubters. Make it happen.
>>
>>198540180
not for money you can't
>>
>>198535882
a higher teir Netflix subscription will make you the penis inspector. and even higher teir than that will make you a vagina inspector. and the tip top teir will make you a loli inspector. ceo is shota inspector.
>>
>>198538620
Me too I like my VW.
>>
>>198536693
>I don't think americans will need to worry about that.
Not in the same way but I can fit a full rotisserie chicken and sides in my fat folds.
>>
>>198540232
this is the key.
>>
>>198539268
The blackmagic president was talking about it when they did their nab presentation. He thinks it can be done reasonably.
Even if it was a ludicrous cost, it would arguably worth it just for the sake of proof of concept and novelty.
>>
>>198538536
So are you going to buy a commercial property (a theatre) first and then "declare" it your household or are you going to host thousands of people at your present home to do... whatever it is that you wanted to, which I assume is own a theatre that generates profit?
>>
>>198536790
>Come Goon on Wednesday Adams! Showing all episodes this Friday
Bring back prono theaters.
>>
>>198539268
Wouldn't be that expensive, they're often used for music events, https://youtu.be/0YIT9JSMqIo?si=HIIsYZImN01_QlbH&t=3557 but it would suck ass since it's a giant lit screen in a dark room. Lots of bloom. They're great for events before of the modular nature of LED arrays. Projection is still best for cinema screens, a single (or a few for IMAX and 3D) light source from behind the audience. TVs are fine because they're usually in a "lit" room.
>>
>>198537986
What happens if the movies I want to see consistently don't get chosen? Then I'm just wasting money.
>>
>>198536747
You'd have to have breaks between episodes since the fat weebs won't be pissing and shitting all at the same time. And if they did go at once that would put serious strain on the plumbing.
t. fat weeb
>>
>>198535778
Isnt this illegal in America?
>>
>>198537747
Again you, kike?
Didn't have enough with the WB thread?
>>
>>198536747
thats a gay looking anime
>>
>>198538263
dont take this personally, but i hope you kill yourself and die
>>
>>198540950
Nothing gay about jerkin' it with your buds in the dark.
>>
>>198535842
>What if crack dealers sold bussy?
>>
>>198536747
>group watch-alongs for anime seasons

the smell would be unbearable, and some tranny would be bothering everyone to suck their dicks
>>
what if netflix just made 1 thing that wasn't woke
>>
File: recorder.jpg (450 KB, 960x2160)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>>198541656
very rude
>>
>>198535778
perhaps
>>
>>198542972
Are you trying to bait a one time at band camp reference? Because that was a flute.
>>
File: Tayuya flute.jpg (41 KB, 691x523)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>198543501
uh
>>
>>198543795
Sorry, I only make sexually charged jokes about Sakura and Yotsuba.
>>
>>198542871
More likely than you think. Their clientele consists of crackheads so I'm sure you could negotiate something.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.