[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2000s blockbuster series.jpg (1011 KB, 1784x1356)
1011 KB
1011 KB JPG
the amount of nostalgia I feel for 2000s blockbusters is soul-crushing
>>
2008, Obama, OWS and BlackRock entering the scene in that year ruined everything.
>>
>>201631535
coincidentally the MCU begin in 2008 with iron man, ultimately replacing trilogy-kino with shared-universe slop
>>
It probably helps that all of these minus X-Men were fun.
>>
>>201631753
x-men has the same edgy y2k leather tone as matrix
>>
>>201632310
>x-men has the same edgy y2k leather tone as matrix
Apparently with the success of the matrix stupid heads wanted the X-Men suits to be leather.
>>
It's weird, but I don't feel any nostalgia for that era. I was 13-14 years old back then. Maybe a bit for video games (DIablo II, Warcraft III and some PS2 titles).
I definitely feel more nostalgic for 1990s (+1980s movies).
>>
>>201632404
which ones?
>>
>>201632397
>stupid
Studio heads*
>>
Phantom Menace came out in 1999
>>
>>201633191
same shit. anyway the sequels were 2002 and 2005
>>
>>201631483
all shit except matrix which was 1999
>>
Where is Shrek? It was the surprise blockbuster of 2001.
>>
>>201631535
I always thought it was the big bang theory. How naive in hindsight.
>>
>>201633306
shrek is cool but it is impossible for me to feel nostalgia for 3d cartoons
>>
>>201633306
for me, it was the 2004 combo of Shrek 2 + Spider-Man 2
>>
2001:
>November
Harry Potter 1
>December
Lord of the Rings 1

2002:
>May
Spider-Man 1
>May, 2 weeks later
Star Wars Episode 2
>November
Harry Potter 2
>December
Lord of the Rings 2

2003:
>May
Matrix 2
>July
Pirates of the Caribbean 1
>December
Lord of the Rings 3

This was a cool period. Going to see a new Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings became a Christmas season tradition.
>>
File: file.png (178 KB, 260x384)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
>>201633617
shit I forgot X2 is also in May 2003. Yeah 2002-2003 is peak
>>
File: file.png (128 KB, 236x347)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>201633617
Oh and Matrix 3 was November 2003 but it was kind of disappointing. Still better than no Matrix movie
>>
>>201633317
You were right. That and iPhone/MySpace, along with the other stuff the guy mentioned. What a fucking clusterfuck.
>>
>>201631753
Ironically, X3 held up the best of the trilogy.
>>
hmm what are the big series since this era?

>transformers
>hunger games
>MCU

ugh
>>
>>201634767
The Hobbit
>>
>>201631483
1st golden age of blockbusters 1975-1982
2nd golden age of blockbusters 1999-2004
>>
>>201631535
Do you ever think coming up with trite little packages of easy scapegoats like this for infinitely complicated progressions of an infinitely complicated society is why you guys are so mindbroken?
>>
>>201636599
No, it’s definitely the fluoride in the water.
>>
>>201631483
Born in 1990. I actually hate most of those movies and in hindsight, comic book movies were a mistake and I say this as someone who grew up reading comics and wanted to see comics adapted into film.

I do feel that Pirates of the Caribbean should've just been 3 movies with Depp, Knightley, and Bloom and I love LOTR so these get a pass.

If anything, I like how movies back then could have hot white women being sexy. Even in retarded video game adaptations like the 2006 Dead or Alive or 2009's Tekken.

And there was a fuckton of movies I missed out on and recently appreciated like Knockaround Guys, 25th Hour, Primer, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Kill Zone, The Savages, Sunshine, 12 Rounds, Frailty, Stop Loss, Identity, The Lookout, The Way of the Gun.

Shit things like No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford deserve more recognition than 00's blockbusters.

And the 2000's still had amazing comedies. Old School, Van Wilder, Step Brothers, Wet Hot American Summer, Hot Fuzz, Wedding Crashers, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Blades of Glory, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Tropic Thunder, it just goes on. Comedy is not as fun as it used to be.
>>
File: bfb31078c52572b2.png (54 KB, 689x960)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>Do you ever think coming up with trite little packages of easy scapegoats like this for infinitely complicated progressions of an infinitely complicated society is why you guys are so mindbroken?
>>
>>201636599
Would you rather I admit that everything is falling apart because nothing was meant to last forever?
>>
>>201633702
I only liked the 1st Matrix. They never should've made sequels. The Animatrix is underrated. Especially The Second Renaissance; the backstory to how the machines took over is interesting.

>>201633648
X1 and X2 were great, but X3 pissed it all away. And I hated Wolverine: Origins.

>>201632404
I have a deeper appreciation for the movies I was too young to see or missed out on I was 10 when the decade began and 19 when it ended. I had no idea there was a 2003 Peter Pan movie and it's actually good. Why does nobody talk about this? Jason Isaacs was a great Captain Hook.

And after seeing Mean Girls a few years thanks to /tv/'s recommendation, I saw Sleepover. Yeah it's nowhere near as good but they don't make films about teen girls being kids anymore I notice. Oh and it has young Sara Paxton; goddamn she was so lush.
>>
>>201637207
>I only liked the 1st Matrix. They never should've made sequels. The Animatrix is underrated. Especially The Second Renaissance; the backstory to how the machines took over is interesting.
>X1 and X2 were great, but X3 pissed it all away. And I hated Wolverine: Origins.
Reddit take.
>>
>>201637207
Matrix 2 has some of the best action sequences ever filmed and it’s worth it for that. Matrix 3 sucked though
>>
>>201637265
Just telling it how it is. Some movies shouldn't have sequels. I thought The Matrix was perfect as this film where a hacker realizes something's up, gets the brutal truth revealed, and then he has to embrace being part of the cyber resistance. The sequels didn't have kino moments like Cypher's negotiation with Agent Smith. I mean, who the fuck wants to live in the real world when they came plug themselves in a fantasy where they don't have to eat glop?

And don't get me started on the bullshit pseudo-intellectual debate that Neo had with The Architect. No it's not fucking deep, it was just the programming stating that the humans themselves allowed their mental prison because of free will and free will is what gives Neo the illusion and the others that their struggle has any meaning.

X3 had so much potential and it had shit direction and plot.
>>
>>201637313
Eh, I agree, but I just didn't really care for it. The original movie was just a great mind-fuckery about existentialism and makes you wonder if you're an actual human being and not just a "camera" when looking at the mirror and wonder if what we experience is reality. Then it became an action flick in its 2nd half (which I didn't mind) because it made Neo embrace who he was and you still argue with the way things ended that maybe the Resistance was just another simulation of the Matrix that he was experiencing ala the 1990 Total Recall self-examination.
>>
>>201633617
>Harry Potter movies almost always premiered on my birthday
>for HP 1-8 we would always go on birthday and we’d get dinner at a nearby place that served my favourite food
>>
>>201631535
Occupy Wallstreet was good
Blackrock et al’s response to it, of making everything about race instead of money to distract from their subversion of the US government by financial means, is what fucked the USA and therefore Europe
>>
>>201632404
>Maybe a bit for video games (DIablo II, Warcraft III and some PS2 titles).
Yeah PS2 was amazing and I was a huge Knights of the Old Republic fan as well as Counterstrike, GTA, and Halo.
>>
File: IMG_1992.jpg (340 KB, 1024x1024)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>201633617
How long till the direct remakes of these movies and how bad will they be?
I mean actual remakes not shit straight to streaming TV prequel reboots that have already begun and are awful
>>
>>201637002
>comic book movies were a mistake what we need more of is sexy videogame movies made for coomers
>also normie slop with [insert some combination of jews with wilson/schneider/vaughn/sandler] because its so heccking FUNNY!!!!!
>>
>>201637843
I expect a Harry Potter reboot within the decade and it’s going to suck. Pirates of the Caribbean is also in line for a reboot with rock bottom expectations. And we see just how fucking lame modern LOTR (Rings of Power) is. It’s over
>>
>>201637943
I just hate how comic movies were becoming more prevalent and how studios are fixated on cinematic universes instead of just making good movies. And different genres in being made.

Give me a good urban crime drama. A murder mystery. A slasher horror. A historical epic. Anything but comic movies.

And I said those video game movies are retarded, but the fact they embraced female sexiness is something you don't see today. Now white women are not seen as beautiful anymore and fit hot women are a no-no.

Yeah it's normie slop, but they're comfy as fuck. Sometimes I just want to watch something that'll make me relax.
>>
>>201638032
>Pirates of the Caribbean is also in line for a reboot with rock bottom expectations
No shit. Pirates was a miracle because pirate movies were the one genre that nobody in Hollywood wanted to do, but Depp's charisma made it work. Oh and 17 year old Keira Knightley, holy shit...
>>
>>201638215
Yeah that movie was seriously lightning-in-a-bottle.
>>
>>201638269
I remember way back in 2003 I was in theaters and just finished 28 Days Later. I was bored and decided to duck in for a free movie since and it happened to be Pirates of the Caribbean. So much fun seeing this and I nearly forgot I was seeing Orlando Bloom and not Legolas. And Keira was my waifu ever since Bend It Like Beckham the year before on cable. It was made at the right time since Bloom was already a major star thanks to LOTR, Depp was perfectly cast, and Keira was cute as fuck. All 3 of them made this movie along with Geoffrey Rush playing Barbarossa.
>>
>>201638437
It really is one of the last great action-adventure movies, with real boats and everything. Even the later movies in the series succumb to CGI overload, but that first movie (with the exception of the skellies) was really old-school in its production. Just looked fantastic, and that's why it still looks great. I re-watch it every year or so and have never been disappointed.
>>
>>201638046
>Yeah it's normie slop, but they're comfy as fuck. Sometimes I just want to watch something that'll make me relax.
They why do you hate comfy nostalgic family movies like in the OP
I think your comment can be boiled down to hipster whining that they are ‘overrated’ and that ‘other stuff was good too’
But its what you get with blockbusters. Still makes them nostalgic. Nobody is nostalgic for fucking wedding crashers, even if its relaxing to you.
>>
>>201632819
Most of the popular ones. I had them on vhs, some of them were recorded from tv with ads. Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Indiana Jones trilogy, Ghostbusters, Disney renaissance movies, Gremlins, Terminator 2, Van Damme flicks, American Ninja...
Also cartoons, Batman TAS, Spider-Man TAS, Reboot, Conan the Adventurer.

Also, fucking 3 Ninja. I have no idea why I liked this movie that much.
>>
>>201639384
Mortal Kombat was huge. Everyone loved it when it came out.
>>
>>201639216
this, that other guy is contrarian as fuck if he thinks blockbusters suck but judd apatow comedies are high art
>>
>>201631483
every time i tried to post a thread to talk more about my fav 90s movies people shunned it cause i didnt meme hard enough to get them engaded

on a fucking movie board
>>
>>201633702
this can't be said about 4
>>
>>201639813
That fucking sucks. Which 90s movies?
>>
File: 417958285_1224078802_n.jpg (1.22 MB, 2127x1595)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>201639908
idk just generally the 90s, I also asked about dumb fun action movies from the 2000s like the Rundown
>>
>>201640155
>the Rundown
I actually love that flick for all its zaniness.

Looking at your list, those are some solid films there. I don't like all of them, but they really do encapsulate that decade.

I'd also recommend these 90's films that I just watched.

In the Company of Men
Red Meat
Swimming with Sharks
Q & A
Miami Blues
Copycat
Nothing Personal
The Spanish Prisoner
S.F.W.
>>
>>201640155
Too many kinos you have to be more selective with your pics to attract attention
>>
>>201636599
Insufferable midwit rears their head again to assert any subject of import is too complex to have any convictions about.
>>
>>201640685
looking for monsters under every bed is definitively midwit. no, a global cabal is not the reason why pirates of the caribbean 4 and 5 sucked
>>
>thread up literally hours
>56 posts
>not starting with THE movie that kicked off the 2000s
outlook grim
>>
>>201640435
Those are some good recs, I can get a feel for your character through them, I think I would like watching them
>>
>>201641185
>I can get a feel for your character through them
Heh, what's your assessment?
>>
>>201641246
nothing too intricate just that those are classic guy's guy movies
>>
>>201633617
Monsters Inc 2001
Finding Nemo 2003
The Incredibles 2004
>>
>>201631567
Are we really still pretending the MCU was bad?
>>
>>201641538
No one is pretending anything. The MCU more or less single-handedly destroyed mainstream movies.
>>
>>201637650
occupy wallstreet was nothing. some hipster kids standing around with signs. it never posed any threat to anyone's power or wealth. this idea that
>the elites were SO AFRAID of occupy that they had to invent identity politics to subvert it
is just cope. occupy went nowhere because it was just about appearances and there was no real power/leverage to any of it. everyone went home and started screeching about idpol to cope with their powerlessness. nobody "made them" think about race instead of money. obsessing over race is how you cope with the fact that you have no power over money, and you never will.
>>
>>201639216
I don't hate comfy nostalgic movies out of principle. I admit I enjoyed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and especially Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I just didn't really care for the other movies and I wasn't a fan of the book series (never read them either).

I'm not an absolute contrarian hipster like >>201639597 says. And I actually don't like Judd Apatow that much. The 40 Year Old Virgin is the only film I truly enjoy from him though I did enjoy Walk Hard which is fun too.

And I defended the original Pirates trilogy (I do admit the 4th one was fun) and I love the LOTR trilogy. And I also said I liked X1 and X2. Batman Begins was a very good watch. It's just that I'm getting tired of being inundated with too many cape flicks. Though the last one I saw, Spider-Man: No Way Home was fun as fuck to see all 3 Spider-Men actors team up.

Oh and speaking of Star Wars, I LOVED the 2003-2005 Clone Wars cartoon that Genndy Tartakovsky made. Never understood why this is memory-holed when it's vastly superior to the prequel movies (though I still have a soft spot for Attack of the Clones).

>>201639384
You should upload the ones you recorded from TV on Internet Archive.
>>
>>201641479
Which ones are you familiar with? I can give you a brief description (no spoilers) of the ones you don't.

>>201641537
I fucking loved all 3 movies. And Monsters University was a
>>
>>201641618
Maybe, but it was the 1st grassroots anti-capitalism campaign that the US had in living memory. And when we hit the next depression (which is right around the corner), nobody has the attention span to do what OWS did.
>>
>>201641618
They were afraid of the rhetoric not the tents thats why they changed the rhetoric from class warfare that involved wallstreet to race warfare that didnt
Talk to a shit eating lefty hippie mong in the mid 2000s and mention blackrock/wallstreet/corruption etc. and they’ll be right on board with you
Mention it now and they’ll screech that you’re a racist right wing conspiracy theorist
It worked, clearly.
You misunderstand the whole thing if you actually thought it was about their physical presence and likely bought into the very racebaiting nonsense they intentionally replaced ant mention of class with.
>>
>>201641594
Lots of things contributed to destroying mainstream movies, but it certainly hastened its demise.

Nobody will make sailor kino like Horatio Hornblower on A&E or Master & Commander. Or something like Sharpe. This is why I prefer watching stuff on Tubi because there's so much older stuff that I never had the chance in seeing and appreciate.
>>
>>201641618
>we're at the point where oldfags are shilling for the 1% and big money just to own da zoomie counterculture
yeesh
>>
>>201641998
>Mention it now and they’ll screech that you’re a racist right wing conspiracy theorist
Srsly? I'm a bit out of touch despite only being 33, but why would a modern leftie think like that?

>>201642075
It's interesting how you went from OWS where all races wanted to go against bailing out the corporations with US taxes and several years later, BLM painted all white people (regardless of economic status) as being part of the problem. Even Marxists in the Cold War were clever to paint black and white workers against "The Man" instead of hating each other.
>>
>>201641998
it literally doesn't matter to the elites what "the rhetoric" is because nobody was going to do shit anyway. people changed their own thinking from being about big money (which they can't do shit about) to what race a superhero is in a movie (which they can campaign for on social media and "win"). idpol is not for the benefit of the elites but the benefit of normies. it gives them psychological comfort about their own complete powerlessness.
>>
>>201641672
Was a what? I hope you’re going to praise it, that movie’s very underrated. I like it better than the first one.
>>
>>201642381
I love how divide and conquer is going to bite these corporations in the ass with their DEI bullshit when more white men (the backbone of the US economy) are not giving opportunities while they expect women (whatever color) to pick up the slack and whatever non-white dudes who are competent enough.
>>
>>201642428
Oh shit, my reply got cut off for some reason. And yeah Monsters University was a great prequel. I even liked it more than the original too because their backstory makes perfect sense.
>>
>>201641538
It had a very pernicious influence where everything became about “shared universes”. Even the fucking Tom cruise mummy was supposed to launch a shared universe
>>
>>201642713
>Even the fucking Tom cruise mummy was supposed to launch a shared universe
Honestly, the Universal Monsters pre-dated the MCU. They were arguably the 1st cinematic universe way back in the 1930's so I wouldn't have minded this. Dracula Untold and Cruise Mummy were supposed to tie together. I'm a huge fan of The Monster Squad and I'd kill to see Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster, a Mummy, Creature of the Black Lagoon and others joining forces in a modern setting.
>>
>>201641625
Agree the first clone wars cartoon was probably the best thing to come out of the prequels (other than the video games)
>>
>>201642797
A monster shared universe launching out of like the Brendan Fraser mummy + jackman van helsing would have been cool
>>
>>201643198
The writing was so much better than the prequel movies. Like Anakin and the cave which foreshadows his fall from grace way better than what Lucas did.

I know it's vogue to hate on the prequel movies. I actually enjoyed them for all their flaws, but the 1st Clone Wars cartoon proves that if handled properly, the prequels could've been even better. Hayden can act. Especially the Obi-Wan vs Darth closure we got.
>>
>>201643262
That would've been really fun. I loved the original Mummy movies (yes even the 3rd one despite it not being as good as the 1st 2) and Van Helsing is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

The only shared universe I actually enjoyed in the last couple of years is the Shyamalan one with Glass, Split, and Unbreakable. Fucking amazing.
>>
>>201643335
You had me until the third mummy, I think it’s truly pee pee poo poo
>>
>>201643400
I loathed it back then and it sucks compared to the earlier 2, but it's still an adventure flick with supernatural elements; which is why I loved the 1999 Mummy so much.
>>
>>201643439
The 1999 movie had Rachel Weiss though, her replacement sucked
>>
>>201643910
Oh I know. I hated how she was replaced and did not like the son being that much older. It definitely is the worst of the trilogy but it still has that sense of fun and action even with the terrible writing.
>>
>>201644099
It’s better than the Tom cruise movie at least
>>
>>201636599
Those were all pretty good examples, Obama was involved in Netflix for better or worse, etc.
>>
>>201644667
I actually enjoyed the 2017 movie as a guilty pleasure. Boutella is so damned hot, I liked Jekyll/Hyde by Crowe, and the whole set-up made it worth the watch.
>>
>>201644859
what exactly did you mean by “Obama was involved in netflix”
>>
the anakin/padme scenes in star wars are equivalent to the frodo/sam scenes in lotr
>>
>>201631483
Guess you had to be a certain age coz all of those are crap.
>>
>>201645526
I haven't actually rewatched the Prequels since I was a child, I'll hold you to your word that I should appreciate them as kino now.
>>
File: tip pizza.jpg (54 KB, 640x802)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>201647160
>>
Fuck I remember watching Cinderella Man when it came out in 2005. They don't make movies with heart anymore.

Hell look at Click; that's not a comedy but more of a tragedy on how Sandler's character missed out on his family.
>>
>>201648087
Click might be a comedy but *that* scene makes everyone who watches it cry like a bitch
>>
>>201648087
>Cinderella Man
That's one of the best motivational movies. The scene where Braddock gets his mouthguard knocked off and he thinks of his family starving and bills being past due while he grins a bloody smile at his opponent to go at it again is sublime.

>Click
I thought it was going to be a typical Sandler comedy; you're right, it's a much deeper story. The son's wedding...goddamn it's made of feels. Sandler needs to be in more dramatic roles.
>>
>>201648476
I treat it like Pleasantville; it has comedic elements but it's a much darker storyline. Both have to do with TV interestingly enough though one's about immersing in a fantasy world while the other lives the real world in a blink of an eye.
>>
>>201645526
Padme/Anakin wish they had a scene as awesome as Sam carrying Frodo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKIgv8AhffA

I mean I preferred kid Anakin scenes with Padme over teen/20something Anakin in AOTC and ROTS. It's so fucking cringey.

For fuck's sake, Anakin force choked a bitch. I couldn't take that film seriously anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQRDZP3FnQ

I get what Lucas was trying to do. Anakin's a tragic guy because he did it out of love, was plagued by that nightmare premonition, caused his own downfall and all that jazz, but the execution was shit. Hell he didn't even build it up that well either.
>>
>>201646540
Curse of the Black Pearl, The Matrix, Fellowship, X-Men and Batman Begins are all fun movies. Not everything has to be "deep".

And there's charm even in Phantom Menace, Sorcerer's Stone (I admit seeing Hogwarts for the 1st time is just like Harry's experience), and the Tobey Spider-Man. I used to remember when only Spider-Man was the superhero that mainly did quips before MCU Iron Man started spouting them ad nauseum.

And Blade was a good horror/comic movie. Yeah it's 1999 but it's turn-of-the-millennium and counts. Blade II wasn't too bad.
>>
>>201648986
When I think of blade all that comes to mind is the cgi eyeballs in blade 3 when he wouldn’t open his eyes
>>
I don't think it's a coincidence that four of those (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates, and LOTR) have some of the best orchestral scores in cinematic history. You could probably hum all of them to yourself right now without thinking too hard.
>>
>>201649368
I agree. I'm not a Star Wars or HP fan, but I can't deny their BGM and soundtrack in general is memorable.
>>
>>201631483
>the amount of nostalgia I feel for 2000s blockbusters is soul-crushing
your right
lets all jump off the roof of our childhood kinoplex tomorrow night
that will show them
>>
Bayformers was the last great classic blockbuster
>>
>>201631483
the amount of pain i feel for how shit harry potter 5-7 are is unreal
>>
>>201636599
"it's too complex" is lazy and retarded.
>>201640685
yea this.
>>
The worst aspect is that if I want to see a movie today I have to read about it online, on 4chan and try to find a bunch of non shilled reviews (hard) to see if its even worth watching. Back then, none of this process existed. You would just buy a ticket for whatever big movie was premiering, and that was it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.