[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Oldertsz.jpg (59 KB, 640x480)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
I don't get why people hate the ArmT eppy so much. I think it rocks.
>>
>eppy
>>
the episode is funny and that's the only thing that matters
>>
>>201673965
Lore fags sperging out. Same thing happened with the Fallout show and every new Star Wars IP.
>>
>>201673965
it signalled the writers were running out of ideas and in general the end of the "golden age" even if isn't actually that bad in of itself
>>
Yeah, it's definitely rockin'.
>>
Up yours, children!
>>
>>201673965
It was unironically too smart for people. The episode is a parody of how you can go to most sitcoms and watch any episode out of order. Things are basically always reset at the end of an episode and nothing of consequence ever really happens. No character growth, no change. In this episode Skinner gets an extremely deep backstory. Great on paper, right? But it also pokes fun at fans not really wanting anything different deep down. In the episode Skinner is given a deep backstory, but Springfield (the Simpsons fanbase) hates it because its too different. So what happens? The end of the episode retcons everything and everyone pretends it never happened. It's a joke at the expense of anyone who obsessed over headcanon.
>>
>>201674767
>. In this episode Skinner gets an extremely deep backstory. Great on paper, right?
Not really, since he already had a backstory. And that backstory was the basis for so much of the comedy revolving around him up to that point
That's the whole problem with it, the Armin Tamzarian stuff is character comedy that relies on throwing out everything the audience already knows about the character. Which is incredibly shoddy writing
>>
>>201675157
This. The real problem is that is retconned all the comedy around Skinner for the sake of a cheap plot with no stakes that was reset at the end of the episode. Skinner being a uptight out of touch Sergeant in Vietnam made sense and was funny because he's an uptight out of touch school principal. Him having some sort of command is an important character trait because he has been shown to be naturally disciplined and a leader.

Also Skinner having an overbearing mother is funny and makes sense for his character as opposed to him being just a random guy whom Mrs. Skinner took in out of pity and loneliness. Skinner maintaining kayfabe that he's the son of an old woman for 20 years is creepy, not funny.
>>
>>201675157
>Not really, since he already had a backstory
if his backstory is canon and skinner fought in nam, how old is he in current episodes?
wouldn't he be past mandatory retirement age?
>>
Tamzarian rules. He got that rizz fr
>>
>>201676375
Nu-Simpsons retconned it so Grandpa Simpson fought in 'Nam and Skinner was in Desert Storm. In another few years they will have to retcon it again so that Skinner will have fought in the 03' Iraq War and Grandpa fought in Grenada.
>>
>>201676375
I'm surprised there's not been an episode yet where it's updated to be one of the Gulf Wars or some shit
>>
>>201673965

This episode marked the beginning of the long and ongoing decline of The Simpsons, in my opinion.
>>
>>201676644
I've never heard that before, please tell me more
>>
Why did Mrs Skinner not know what her own son looked like
>>
>>201674226
Cram it, kiddies!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.