[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is the movie theater experience still worth it nowadays? Why not just watch it at home?
>>
>>201681760
I watched Dune 2 in the cinema. It wasn't out on streaming. That's the reason someone might go out.
>>
>>201681760
Because I can give the film my full concentration at the cinema. I'm not distracted by my phone or whatever. Provided I'm not in a screening with a bunch of retards
>>
>>201681760
For me, it's the crowd of future doctors "AYO!"ing through the entire movie, loudly snorting at their smartphones, and getting into fights.
>>
Skip the middleman and just send the studios a check
>>
Depends on the movie. It’s worth it for something like Avatar or Endgame.
>>
>>201681808
I generally only go to the theater after 9 PM, tends to weed out the kids and other undesirables.
>>
>>201681760
The movie theatre is a fucking meme and a remnant of the past. I have never felt like a movie was better because I experienced it in a smelly crowded room full of people eating and sharting and whispering to each other and I can't pause or change the volume or go to take a piss without missing something. Normies make me sick.
>>
>>201681760
Other than the quality of movies, what is the difference between the movie theater experience now and how it was around 30 years ago? I'm in my mid 30s and I went to watch the movies in April for the first time in years. It seemed exactly the same. I'm not a movie theater nut, so don't really care either way. Can't say there's been any change in my opinion though.
>>
>>201681760
i've started going to local theatres much more often, they're usually cheaper and often show great classics and cult hits. stopped going to major theatre chains in favour of them.
recently saw repo man, stalker, the night is short walk on girl, kill bill, and it's such a beautiful day. they often have deals or cheap memberships with free movie tickets/concessions, and i've been loving it
nothing like watching cult movies with theatres full of fans that react audibly to everything, it's a great experience
seeing fitzcarraldo, rocky horror picture show, seven samurai and true romance in the next couple weeks
>>
>>201681880
>Other than the quality of movies, what is the difference between the movie theater experience now and how it was around 30 years ago?

Society itself is different, and that might be why people go out less. I went to a shopping mall around Christmas last year, and I watched a black guy spit on the ground (inside the mall). That's the kind of amazing shit that happens when you leave the house now. Everyone is right to watch movies at home.
>>
>>201681760
No. For the past decade, I only see 1 or 2 movies a year. Now, movies are coming out on streaming faster than ever. There is simply no point in going to the theaters anymore. Most movies suck now anyway so it isn't worth the time commitment. I like the ability to watch a movie in the comfort of my own home and I can pause it whenever.
>drive to the theater
>pay for expensive tickets
>buy expensive disgusting food
>sit through 30min of trailers you already saw on Youtube
>listen to strangers fart,burp, breath, sneeze and talk all movie long
>Watch the 2hr45min movie
>go home after wasting 4hrs of my day to watch some mediocre movie
>>
>>201681877
Agreed in the 90s and 2000s it was just something to do, especially when you were a teen. Plus there weren't as many movies out and movies were generally better and worth the time and money.
Also they took like 6months to be available at Blockbuster
Now, the shitty mid tier movies are out on streaming a month or 2 later and I can watch on my big ass TV at home. Literally no reason to go anymore. Top Gun Maverkick was the last movie I saw in theaters. Don't even remember what movie I saw before that
>>
>>201681880
Im in my mid 30s too. There was simply less to do back then. Seeing a movie was more of an event. Plus with the small CRT tvs and shitty sound, seeing a movie in a theater meant something more.
Now as an adult, with a house and a big ass TV why would I go to a theater?
>>
>>201681760
Pretty sure I have a neurological issue where I laugh at inappropriate times and I went to see the joker (alone because I'm a friendless incel) and was the only one laughing like 5 times in the movie. Pretty sure I scared a person or two.
That said, the experience was very nice as they had reclining seats.
>>
>>201682925
>in the 90s and 2000s it was just something to do, especially when you were a teen
I used to do it a lot. I would just go out, and watching a movie was a really efficient use of money. It was only the price of a meal for a few hours of entertainment, that you can think about long after.
>movies were generally better and worth the time and money.
Yeah, exactly. You go out, and you can watch a Brad Pitt movie, a George Clooney movie, a Leonardo Dicaprio movie.
I would go watch movies that weren't even meant for me. Like... Dicaprio and Kate Winslet were in some boring Drama called Revolutionary Road. I still went and saw it, because I liked the actors.
I'm actually glad that modern movies are low quality. If the stuff being made is bad, you don't have to watch.
>>
>>201682973
>There was simply less to do back then
Post a pic of yourself.
>>
>>201681760
I only go to matinees, if it's an option
(I'm currently unemployed)
Otherwise it's just not a fun experience with too many other people. I saw Princess Mononoke in a theater the other week, but it was only showing in the evening, and it was full of weebs laughing at inappropriate moments. It didn't ruin the experience (only a certain class of people in the theater can fully do that...), but it did detract.
On the other hand, I saw Furiosa at like 2 PM on a Wednesday with only one other dude in the theater, and it was great (apart from some issues with the projection).
>>
>>201681760
>Is the movie theater experience still worth it nowadays?
no
Why not just watch it at home?
exactly.

the last movie i watched in a movie theater was the third bourne film and only because my dad wanted to go see it.
>>
>>201681760
There’s a 4D cinema near me. I saw Twisters with a sold out crowd. Everybody was screaming and having fun the whole time. There’s still an appeal to audience reactions like this.
>>
>>201683718
?
>>
>>201681760
UHH EXCUSE ME?
WHERE IS YOUR MASK?
DID YOU JUST FALL OUT OF A COCONUT TREE?
YOU HAVE TO WEAR A MASK
LET ME CHECK YOUR VACCINE CARD
UH-OH ONLY 3 SHOTS?
SORRY, THIS THEATER IS FOR NON-RACISTS ONLY
>>
>>201681760
I have a theater in my basement, a popcorn machine, and a 92tb Plex server. I only go to the theater to watch something in IMAX or some other niche film format.
>>
File: bfi_14472.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
I have a $3000+ setup at home but I still love going to the cinema from time to time if the movie is good.
No gf/roomate/brother/sister/mom/whoever barging in the room, no tasks/problems you suddenly remember you have to do, no phone notifications or calls, no temptation of looking up stuff you see in the film on the spot, no option of pausing the film 12 times, you just have to sit there and experience the film as a whole at once with absolutely zero distractions like it's intended to be experienced (I'm from yuroland so I never had a single bad cinema experience like I hear here often)

A bit of true escapism. Not to mention the huge ass screen and pristine sound and acoustic treatment of the room where you are literally not aware of the speaker placement making it feel as if you're plunged into the environment of the film itself.
if only more movies nowadays were better I'd go regularly.
>>
What movie projector to I buy bros?
>>
I literally went to the movies with my gf, then we realized it would cost us $100 plus popcorn and soda plus tip. We just gave up and are eager to watch the movie when it's avaiable online. Fuck the theater jew.
>>
>>201681760
I like seeing a movie in a theater but I cant stand retards around me. I hope your balls get crushed if you do any of the following
>extended talking during the movie
>placing or kicking the seat in front of you
>use your phone
>leaning forward in your seat
>shuffling your feet incessantly
>getting up to use the bathroom within the first 10 mins of the movie
>>
>>201681760
If they just allowed you to use headphones it would be a better experience

Plus I got a mind altering BJ from a chunky white MILF who sat next to me during 50 shades of grey.
>>
>>201682124
You could see it for free at home.
>>
>>201683819
Yeah. A weeb was laughing when someone's head was cut off. Fuck him.
>>
>>201681760
it hasn't been worth it since HD home media became a thing
>>
>>201685374
This is worse when adults seem to bring their retarded 3 year olds for some reason
>>
>>201687538
..................were we in the same theater?
>>
>>201687785
I don't know, but there was one faggot that laughed almost everytime when Ashitaka used his arrows on any people. He was the only one that laughed. Asshole.
>>
File: 47086217.jpg (511 KB, 994x1024)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>201683898
I worked as a projectionist for years and now I'm totally spoiled by a theater, the size and sound at home can't match a good theater, also it helps i watch every movie for free
>>
>>201688156
Yeah, that's exactly what happened in my showing too: one guy laughing when he fired his arrows. It was really weird... like, it's not supposed to be funny, dude.
I guess it's possible there are multiple idiots around the country laughing at that, and it's just a coincidence we both had one in our showings... or we both went to the same showing just outside Seattle last Monday.......
>>
All the people sitting and staring at the screen like zombies creeps me out.
>>
>>201688194
There's this thing where they show old cult movies at my theater, but sometimes the movies can't be played due to the projector not being compatible. Is there any reason they can't just show a digital file of it or something?
>>
>>201681876
I used to go on Sunday mornings because there would only ever be 2-3 other people who also hated being around others. But at some point word must have gotten out because now Sunday mornings are full of kids and teens who just want to be loud and rambunctious. You'd think that would mean some other time would clear up and replace Sunday mornings as the optimal time, but all the showings just suck now and there's no respite anywhere.
>>
I don't really have the endurance to watch an entire movie in one sitting.
>>
>>201688588
fix your attention span anon.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (241 KB, 2207x1227)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>201681760
no feeling beats watching either an obscure movie or VOD-unreleased movie in a nearly empty independent theatre on a sunday afternoon. Mine lets me bring in booze and they don't care
>>
>>201681760
I would love to go to the movie theater, regularly even, if only they would offer something thats worth my time, let alone my money

hollywood hates me and wants me dead
>>
File: 1000030369.gif (460 KB, 400x167)
460 KB
460 KB GIF
>>201681760
People who have this specific opinion are complete casuals and probably watch series and not films.
>>
>>201681760
My town did a complete 180 during Covid. The shitty theater renovated and is now really nice. The once good theater has terrible screens, my tv at home gives a clearer picture. Debris hanging from the ceiling blocking the screen. Parking lot overgrown with shrubs and weeds.
>>
4D or bust
>>
>>201688194
I still wouldn't go to the movies for free
>>
File: 1287234470986.jpg (39 KB, 359x574)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>201681808
>I'm not distracted by my phone or whatever.

>he needs a pimply faced usher to control his phone usage for him
>can't just set it aside for a couple of hours

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.