[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BDVGM List 2023.jpg (2.71 MB, 2701x1850)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
Rate video game movies.
What are some 'must watch' from the genre?
>>
>>201700992
Resident Evil
>>
>>201700992
The Rampage adaptation was pretty decent if you like giant monsters. Worth a watch.
>>
>>201700992
The Sonic the Hedgehog OVA. It shits all over the newer Sonic films in every way and the Metal Sonic fight kicks ass. Plus the soundtrack is really good.
>>
>>201700992
The 2000s Tomb Raider movies are fun and comfy. The first Resident Evil is decent. Warcraft was a huge disappointment. Assassin's Creed and Bloodrayne are steaming piles of putrid shit.
>>
File: Eileen shaving.webm (3.88 MB, 1920x1080)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB WEBM
Eileen shaving
>>
>>201700992
I like the 90s Super Mario. I enjoy its weird aesthetic.
>>
File: Chunners SF2.gif (1.9 MB, 360x193)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>201700992
Street Fighter II The Animated Movie (1994)
>>
>>201700992
Absolutely none of them are worth watching unless you're the type of person who does things "ironically".

The closest they ever got to good was the Silent Hill movie which nailed the visuals and audio, but the screenplay was complete garbage. Also Pyramid Head being in the film made zero sense because of his attachment to the character James who wasn't even in the film
>>
>>201700992
Mortal Kombat is the best video game movie ever made because it's actually faithful to the source material AND a competent kung fu flick in its own right.
>>
>>201700992
Dead Space has an animated prequel that shows how the Ishimura fell. The plot moves at breakneck speeds but the action is kickass. There's also a few decent Mortal Kombat animated movies that came out recently. Snowblind in particular was fantastic. It's about an alternate timeline where the world became a wasteland and Kano rules over the few remaining settlements with the Black Dragon clan.
>>
>>201701245
based
>>
I just rewatched Street Fighter recently and it's amazing. Just the right amount of ham, lots of cool ideas like all the fake Thai writing is just English in a silly font, great choreography for the time and Raul Julia being the perfect Bison. If you don't like it you're a manchild.
>>
>>201701245
my god he's everywhere
>>
>>201701305
Kino.
Fatal Fury OAV 1 & 2 are also a must watch.
>>
>>201701770
street fighter is infinitely rewatchable
>>
>>201700992
Why dont you have Final Fantasy the Spirits within?
>>
>>201703364
Only included actual movies no anime/cgi
>>
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Silent Hill
Double Dragon
Postal
Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City
House of the Dead
Fallout(series)
Mario Bros.
>>
File: 20240714183719_1.jpg (115 KB, 1296x730)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
new hitman movie soon

third time's the charm
god the two first were ass
>>
>>201700992
Postal. I do like live-action Mario.
>>
>>201700992
I'm partial to Need for Speed even if it didn't adapted the best arc
>>
>>201700992
Postal is actually an excellent comedy in its own right. Uwe Boll's best work.
>>
File: wtf faggot.jpg (190 KB, 1024x1000)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>201703669
>Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City
>>
>>201701221
This. Also the Newer Tomb Raider film is a really good action film, it could have used a bit more plot (and 'plot') but certainly worth watching.

The Angry Birds films aren't must watch and probably fall under the banner of CGI slop, but Angry Birds 2 does feature the honey like tones of Awkwafina so is at least worth your while listening to.
>>
The only good videogame movie is Goldeneye.
>>
>>201708774
I can never ever unsee the elongated mouth.
>>
File: s33d.jpg (730 KB, 1920x1152)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
You absolutely have no right to watch anything else til you have finished this mans entire filmography
>>
>>201701108
better than any of the Kong slop they push nowadays
>>
>>201700992
None are must watch. Most are all sorts of garbage.
The closest Hollyslop came to a "good" game adaptation is Fallout, but only in terms of setting and visuals. If you can ignore the plot holes and open rape of game lore (if you care about that), the shit casting and even shittier acting, and the forced diversity hires and obvious checkmarks on the diversity police spreadsheet, then it is kind of "good". The de-aged MacLachlan cameo made me happy, but that's a personal thing and doesn't make the whole any less shit at the end of the day.
But really don't waste your fucking time, go watch a real film instead.
>>
>>201709715
Obviously you're a zoomer who was too young to enjoy all the 2000s kino video game adaptations that would fun af even if they weren't necessarily good movies

You never got to experience chilling with your boys and lusting over Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil or the Silent Hill movie being a fun cinema watch with the lads
>>
>>201709853
Nigger I'm 40+, I played those games back then and loved them, I watched those movies back then and hated them. Me and my lads had better fucking taste than that. And Milla was always overrated.
>>
>>201700992
Vidya movies are shit, most vidya plots aren't that good anyway and the ones that are rely on the gameplay to raise it up so I don't see the point of translating it over
>>
File: mortal-kombat-still.jpg (176 KB, 1296x730)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>201700992
The first Mortal Kombat movie in 1995 genuinely captured the story, look, characters and lore of the game really well, and also did a good job of incorporating characters signature moves into the fights.

Too bad Annihilation shit the bed and did an awful job of capitalizing on the Shao Khan tease at the end of the first movie.
>>
>>201707870
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Welcome_to_Raccoon_City

It's fucking dope as far as re movies go,total fan service. Some one actually says Jill sandwich.
>>
>>201709983
>And Milla was always overrated.
Now I know you're lying, zoom-zoom
>>
>>201710892
No, just don't be a brainless coomer blinded by cheap eye candy, and you'll see.
>>
>>201701380
>Also Pyramid Head being in the film made zero sense because of his attachment to the character James who wasn't even in the film
cope
>>
>>201710048
Was also a straight rip off of enter the dragon
>>
>>201709983
36 here, I was so excited when I got re2 and saw the sweepstakes to be an extra in the "upcoming" movie. I waited 5 years for a pile of shit that was only resident evil in name. I remember seeing the original teaser trailer for Blair witch that was just first person view running through tall grass and was sure that must be for the re movie. Blair Witch was way better anyway.
>>
>>201701221
I watched warcraft for the first time recently and thought it was great. Felt like a send off for the series from the people who actually made it before they all left. Maybe the bar is just that fucking low these days.
>>
>>201709983
>>
File: Alice Badass.webm (3.93 MB, 800x334)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
In terms of live action projects.

The 1995 Mortal Kombat is extremely soulful.
Resident Evil 1-3 are absolutely worth watching.
Resident Evil 4-6 is the result of the studio reversing their decision to end the franchise, and shit gets both weird, and wild.
Silent Hill 2006 is good.
Mario 1993 is a weird movie, very messy, but super creative and really a very odd cyberpunk hybrid with amazing art direction.
Prince of Persia is a pretty solid adventure film in the vein of PotC.
The Sonic movies are quite fun.
Werewolves Within is very fun.
The Angry Birds movies are actually legitimate animated films that got weirdly overshadowed.
It's a bit messy, but Monster Hunter is worth watching. Nowhere near as good as MK, but in a weirdly similar vein.
I enjoyed the Five Nights at Freddy's film as someone who doesn't really care about the games.

Avoid anything by Uwe Boll like the plague because he is an obnoxious hack. Ignore anyone who tells you that Paul Anderson, the director of fucking Event Horizon, is is any way comparable to Uwe Boll.

My test for a good videogame movie is whether it feels like a real movie. Whether I feel like I could sit down with a relative and watch it like it's an actual movie and not some nerd bullshit. The truth that a lot of people don't want to admit is that most videogame movies are genre films, and not actually particularly bad genre films. The problems started when people wanted videogame movies to be pretentious wank.
>>
File: hitman_2007_poster.jpg (260 KB, 2000x3000)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>201700992
This movie is so fucking comfy, I have no idea why. I went in with extremely low expectations and ended up enjoying it a lot, just a fun dumb action flick
>>
>>201711597
First game already did it in the backstory, movie just did it's duty of sticking to the game as a pastiche of martial arts films.
>>
>>201711996
The first Hitman movie was clearly fucked over by the studio, but it's actually a very solid action movie. It's not a particularly great action movie, but it's a competent take on the material.
>>
>>201707870
Welcome to Raccoon City is absolutely worth watching for two reasons.
>You might like it.
>It demonstrates why the original Resident Evil movies were 100% correct in their decision to use the games for inspiration instead of directly adapting them.
>>
>>201709983
RE game is just a Alone in the dark knockoff, the movie was better than the shit games. Of course /v/tards won't ever acknowledge this
>>
>>201711637
>Felt like a send off for the series from the people who actually made it before they all left
Its completely riddled with retcons you fucking retard. They even changed a major characters race for absolutely no reason. Garona isnt half human, that is fucking stupid.
>>
>>201712143
Isnt that the movie where Jill is played by a shitskin?
>>
>>201712331
No
>>201712143
I disagree, it's a great adaption, of the first 2 games. Perfectly retarded and fun to watch. Fuck inspiration. Dude says Jill Sandwich for fuck sake.
>>
>>201712391
I take it back, Jill is brown.
>>
>>201701533
>There's also a few decent Mortal Kombat animated movies that came out recently.
Agreed. I liked Scorpion’s Revenge, but they all have their charms.
>>
>>201703669
>Postal
The last thing I’ve seen Zack Ward in, and he was magnificent.
>>
>>201701262
Supposedly the films original ending had Miyamoto travelling to New York and buying the rights to Mario's story but not understanding what he's been told due to language barrier.
>>
>>201708774
This
>>
>>201712306
>Garona isnt half human, that is fucking stupid.
She was though, it was retconned.
The whole series is nothing but retcons. Unironically just turn off your brain for a bit
>>
Only one I ever liked was dungeons and dragons
>>
>>201701487
Also MK's story is retarded schlock written by an eternal teenager, which slots right into the action movie genre. Problem with video games is that the bulk of a video game is the stuff in between movie scenes. Traveling, non-plot significant fighting, training, etc.
>>
>>201713749
D&D movie was fun but D&D isnt a videogame

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.