[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: photo.jpg (48 KB, 480x720)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
This wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be but the atmosphere, music and Monroe's acting were great. Cage himself was good but I don't think he got to flex his chops as much in the role as he should have. He toes the line between genuinely unhinged and campy schizo that it's hard to take him seriously although the interview scene with Lee was very unnerving. Much like Renfield, he gives a good performance but he's barely in the film as the character he portrays. Unlike Renfield, the supporting cast are all good.

It was sort of like a mix of The Void and The Silence of the Lambs. Definitely better than the former but nowhere near as good as the latter. Overall, it was a very well made film with a strong cohesion of elements (I did like the flashback/clairvoyant scenes showing the murders as well as the inverted credits at the end) and themes, but it's dragged down by a predictable plot. After the first third of the film, you know what's going to happen, but it's so well-crafted that you're happy to go along for the ride. Still, I was left with wanting more by the end of it. 6.5/10
>>
>>201705718
The story was retarded, but everything else was pretty good. Editing and cinematography was great, the fbi autistic chick was a qt, and Cage was kino as always. Just fucking hated how the story devolved into conjuring-tier garbage
>>
>>201705925
Agreed on all counts, although besides the basement scene where you first see Satan and the interview scene, I thought Cage straddled being over-the-top campy with his acting rather than joyfully malevolent which is what he was going for. The interview scene is definitely a highlight of the film though and wear he's undeniably spooky. The plot elements were all thematically very well done even if they sometimes felt like a bit of a cop out.
>>
The spookie paranormal stuff should've been better done. First half was good, needed a lot more of Cage

>>201705925
>Just fucking hated how the story devolved into conjuring-tier garbage
Yep was too obvious
>>
>>201706067
I thought his acting was fine and what I expected from him. Still, I wish he had more relevance to the actual story. I mean you could’ve just had the devil calling Lees mom directly on the phone and cut out the creepy middleman. Would’ve been a standard boilerplate Conjring film but it would’ve made more sense. It feels like they came up with two stories and just blended them together poorly.
Also I’m just personally tired of the whole satanist thing. Do you think an actual satanist (not Reddit edgelord) would say “Hail Satan” in any serious manner?
>>
>>201706306
It started off in the beginning mixing the spooky paranormal stuff with the unnerving paranoia and understandable neuroticism of Monroe's character. But it then does devolve into Conjuring shit, and not good Conjuring shit like the first two films. It feels like it cops out in the third act and it's very easy to see what's going to happen as the "twist" midway through the film when she sees her mother for the first time.
>>
When her partner said “my daughter’s birthday is coming up” it was just way too obvious that I audibly chucked in the theater
>>
>>201706419
*started off strong

>>201706394
It definitely had the potential to be as good as The Silence of the Lambs but with an occultist twist.

Oh well, it's still the best horror film of the year, so far. Although I think Nosferatu is going to take that crown when it finally comes out in December. I haven't been excited for a film while watching the trailer in a long time.
>>
>>201706480
Yeah, it reminded me of Shutter Island with how obviously telegraphed the foreshadowing was.
>>
>>201706515
Excited for nosferatu or longlegs? I was actually so hyped up by the trailers for this film and I gotta say, they did have some pretty good marketing.
>>
>>201706419
>spooky paranormal stuff with the unnerving paranoia and understandable neuroticism of Monroe's character.
I really liked this, it was creepy af.

The whole thing trying to bridge the girl and cage being linked was too forced. Either build it up completely with Cage getting a lot of screen time or don't. The dolls could've played a better angle. Don't even get me started on the goat silhouette

>>201706480
That was easily the worst part
>>
>>201706639
Honestly just take out the whole doll thing and Lees mom. Also why was it always the father who would kill the family? Why not the girls or the mothers? Is there a reason? I know the name “Longlegs” was just used because Oz thought it sounded cool…
>>
>>201706593
Nosferatu's trailer although the trailer for Longlegs immediately got my interest too. I'm extremely excited for Nosferatu though as I've loved all of Eggers' films thus far.

>>201706752
My theory is that it was an inversion of what a father is supposed to do. Inversion is a pretty prevalent theme throughout the film, as it should be considering it delves into occultist Satanism which is a clear inversion of Christianity. Fathers protect and provide for their families, not butcher them in cold blood. It seems like the doll (specifically the hollow metal ball inside the doll) induced a sort of demonic frequency that possessed the father to kill his family and eventually himself (except for one case) as well as possessing the mother and daughter into not fleeing. The irony is that my own father didn't like the film largely because of the supernatural elements. I think he was expecting more of a The Silence of the Lambs kind of film.
>>
>>201705718
The first ~half was amazing but the rest was doodoo
They went through the mystery way too fast, which maybe would’ve been OK if it kept escalating to something more interesting, but >>201705925’s “conjuring-tier garbage,” perfect description, wasn’t it
The letters and symbols were solved WAAAAAAY too quickly, and her being psychic basically didn’t pay off at all, and instead of that we get…dolls?
Also what the fuck was the point of the Camera girl ultimately
And why was he called Longlegs even
Fuck
>>
>>201707744
>It just sounds cool
https://screenrant.com/longlegs-nicolas-cage-character-name-meaning-director-response/#:~:text=The%20character%20simply%20calls%20himself,that%20paints%20a%20horrifying%20picture.

Yep no spider connections or anything
>>
>>201707888
I don’t even remember seeing spiders around, just one like moth looking thing? The “man downstairs” looked stunningly like a moth in profile too, and Lee had that “life cycles of the butterfly” poster prominently up when working with that picture. But what does any of that connect back to?
Movie feels more and more piecemeal as I think about it
>>
>>201707744
>her being psychic basically didn’t pay off at all
The whole point is that she's not psychic, she already knew what was going on but it was repressed
>>
>>201708289
Didn’t she have satan spider-sense

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.