[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 721038849732.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>chastises Gandalf for smoking weed
>has a giant barrel of weed in his pantry
fucking hypocrite
>>
>>201759266
Saruman was chill like Gandalf back in the day. Then he started Skyping with Sauron the Deceiver and it all went down hill
>>
>>201759266
He got the barrel of longbottom leaf specifically for Gandalf, but still wants him to stop. He tries to be friendly while also caring about him.
>>
>>201759266
never liked how the movies conflated pipeweed with marijuana, it was explicitly tobacco in the books
>>201759472
I remember how much they hyped that Saruman in the Hobbit was going to be him prior to being corrupted and he'd be played differently, and he was literally exactly the same
>>
>>201759266
Be me, Anonuman. Friend Mandalf drinks 6+ beers every day. Try to get him to cut back. He sees that I have a bottle of whiskey in my pantry. Calls me a hypocrite. I realize he is retarded. Offer him the whiskey and never speak to him again.
>>
>>201759544
Please understand they had to shoot all of his scenes first.
>>
>>201759266
How does the weed even affect Gandalf, isn't he a Maiar, basically a lesser angel?
>>
>>201759266
Alfrid Lickspittle won.
>>
>>201759266
>fucking hypocrite
yeah he's Sharon's Man. Are you really surprised?
>>
>It was at the great Council held in 2851 that the "Halflings' leaf" was first spoken of, and the matter was noted with amusement at the time, though it was afterwards remembered in a different light. The Council met in Rivendell, and Gandalf sat apart, silent, but smoking prodigiously (a thing he had never done before on such an occasion), while Saruman spoke against him, and urged that contrary to Gandalf's advice Dol Guldur should not yet be molested. Both the silence and the smoke seemed greatly to annoy Saruman, and before the Council dispersed be said to Gandalf: "When weighty matters are in debate, Mithrandir, I wonder a little that you should play with your toys of fire and smoke, while others are in earnest speech."

>But Gandalf laughed, and replied: "You would not wonder if you used this herb yourself. Yon might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger. But it is not one of my toys. It is an art of the Little People away in the West: merry and worthy folk, though not of much account, perhaps, in your high policies."

>Saruman was little appeased by this answer (for he hated mockery, however gentle), and he said then coldly: "You jest, Lord Mithrandir, as is your way. I know well enough that you have become a curious explorer of the small: weeds, wild things and childish folk. Your time is your own to spend, if you have nothing worthier to do; and your friends you may make as you please. But to me the days are too dark for wanderers' tales, and I have no time for the simples of peasants."

>Gandalf did not laugh again; and he did not answer, but looking keenly at Saruman he drew on his pipe and sent out a great ring of smoke with many smaller rings that followed it. Then he put up his hand, as if to grasp them, and they vanished. With that he got up and left Saruman without another word; but Saruman stood for some time silent, and his face was dark with doubt and displeasure.
>>
>>201761154
It makes him more slow and stupid so he can interact better with men and hobbits.
>>
File: Saruman at Bag End.jpg (269 KB, 1355x1025)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>201762329
After this meeting, Saruman seemed to become obsessed with Gandalf's interests, thinking that they must serve some greater purpose, not able to understand that Gandalf simply enjoys smoking, as well as being around Hobbits. He covertly begins to import pipeweed from the Shire, and later decides to make the Shire his base of operations after he loses Isengard.
>>
>>201759544
>it was explicitly tobacco in the books
No it was never explicitly stated. I'd argue it's neither and it's a crop unique to middle earth as the effects described do not quite match either marijuana or tobacco
>>
Wait, so is the Leaf supposed to be a stimulant like nicotine or hallucinogenic/pyschoactive like THC?
>>
>>201761262
nope
>>
>>201759500
Yeah that's what he says.
>>
>>201762579
>>201762329

Seems more nicotine like from that.
>>
>>201762329
This is hilarious.
>>
File: 20240726_132906-COLLAGE.jpg (961 KB, 2400x3196)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
>>201762555
In the prologue, in the section 'Concerning Pipeweed' the author states it's "probably a variety of nicotiana". Also, the very last word in The Hobbit is "tobacco-jar".
>>
>>201762329
>>201762531
I love this. Saruman literally cannot comprehend having fun and just being content. He can’t acknowledge the joys the little things provide.
>>
>>201762790

Basically one of those autists that never drinks/smokes, swears he only needs water and apples to have fun
>>
>>201761154
He has a fully human body. It's why he looks old as fuck.
>>
>>201762870
Ironically you just described the average LOTR fanboy on /tv/
>>
>>201759266
>Sauron's henchman
>is call Sarounman
Did Tolkien get the idea from Hitler and Himmler?
>>
>>201761154
When Maia take on forms, it’s like some sort of ‘investment’, and for all intents and purposes Gandalf IS an old man, the same way the Balrog IS a fiery “demon”, and even Sauron eventually lost the power to take on specific shape.
>>
>>201763065
Himmler isn't a very inclusive name. They should be called Themmler.
>>
>>201762870
Addicts are faggots
>>
>>201762579
It's explicitly tobacco. >>201762782
The whole thing stems from Tolkien's own pipe-smoking habit. We know he was a habitual tobacco smoker.
>>
>>201763225
>probably a variety of nicotiana
Do you know what explicitly means?
>>
>>201762579
Tolkien wrote it to imply it was tobacco-like
the movies imply it has mood-altering effects like marijuana
Toklien called it pipe-weed because it was a folksy way to word it that fit the Hobbits' vernacular - weed didn't become a slang term for marijuana until decades after The Hobbit was written
>>
>>201763265
>tobacco jar
>>
>>201759266
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!
>>
>>201759472
>saruman went down the alt-right pipeline
>>
>>201759544
>I remember how much they hyped that Saruman in the Hobbit was going to be him prior to being corrupted and he'd be played differently, and he was literally exactly the same
did they? he was already corrupted by that point, it wasn't that far in the past.
>>
>>201763209
don't worry, all those parties you missed weren't actually that great
>>
>>201763691
> quoting the hobbit when discussing lotr
Are you also going to argue trolls are from london because they have a cockney accent in the hobbit?
>>
>>201762329
>Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger.
Kek this is basically why people start smoking cigs IRL, to cope with idiots and stress.
>>
>>201764291
What part of england does the trollshaws correspond to?
>>
>>201759544
>the movies conflated pipeweed with marijuana
It didnt really. Merry and Pippin were super hungry at the time of the siege of Isengard and the pipe weed doesn't make you lazy or paranoid. The only real reference I could remember was Saruman going "your love of the hobbits leaf has slowed your mind" but I think that was just a joke to show how much of a dick he had become
>>
>>201761154
When angels and deities take on various forms they ARE that thing. When that form dies or they no longer need it, they can shed it like someone changes clothes without losing their true form. Saruman probably went to the godly realm and got pink bellied by the rest of the angels and Valar for a few lifetimes for being such a tit
>>
>>201763209
>t. Saruman
>>
>>201764532
Paisley
>>
>>201759544
>I remember how much they hyped that Saruman in the Hobbit was going to be him prior to being corrupted and he'd be played differently, and he was literally exactly the same
To be fair can you imagine Sir Christopher Lee being a happy camper? It's well outside his range.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.