[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jRVkEthDt7.png (2 KB, 206x103)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
do you have to flick this on whenever you watch hdr movies or does madvr/mpc handle it automatically?

also, anyone else get these odd artifacts where, on rare occasion, it looks like an edge will have a highlight on it? can't capture a screen of it as it goes away when you pause the film.
>>
MPC does it for me, dunno about your setup.
>>
>>204655917
You must always turn these gimmicks off when you have the choice.
They are only destructive to the movie film.
>>
I think it's automatic on windows nowadays, but not sure because don't have hdr screen
>>
>>204655917
i turn it on and calibrate hdr on windows manually.

Tbh i barely can even tell the difference between SDR and HDR content. It feels like a gimmick to me.
>>
>>204656242
HDR is practically useless unless you have a screen with self-illuminating pixels. If you have an LCD """HDR""" screen, you've been scammed.
>>
>>204656344
>If you have an LCD """HDR""" screen, you've been scammed.

I have one and it works well with certain video games like Baldur's Gate 3. The Alien 4K HDR also looks better when I turn HDR on.
>>
>>204656344
i have an OLED m8 what are you talking about. HDR is much better on QLED screens because they can get much brighter. OLEDS are max out at around 1000 cd/m2 at the top level models, while QLEDS can get up to like 3000-5000 cd/m2 because they dont need to have auto dimming features to preserve the screen and stop burn in.

Older OLEDS are siginificantly dimmer. My LG B9 only gets around 500 cd/m2

Also the blacks of OLEDS arent even that much better than a lot of QLEDS these days because of local dimming features progressing so quickly.
>>
>>204655917
Madvr does it itself
>>
>>204655917
MadVR can send HDR metadata without Windows.
>>
>>204655917
I prefer this one, myself
>>
File: madHcCtrl_uSOGgbZZMM.png (12 KB, 509x399)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>204655917
>also, anyone else get these odd artifacts where, on rare occasion, it looks like an edge will have a highlight on it? can't capture a screen of it as it goes away when you pause the film.

ok i gotta figure artifacts are common if there's a dedicated tab for it in the settings. you guys mess with the options in madvr at all?
>>
>read online if your monitor isn’t in srgb mode it is displaying colors completely wrong and looks bad
>genuinely can’t tell a difference except it’s a bit less saturated and can’t adjust the backlight with it on
People blow shit out of proportion in pursuit of perfect accuracy
>>
>>204657314
>you guys mess with the options in madvr at all?
Yes i have MADVR do the HDR tonemapping over the TV's native and also manually set my peak luminance to around 700 nits which is my TV's max output.

I also have the madvr motion smoothing enabled for when there would be jittering without but i dont really see any difference. Any panning shot is still jittery AF which is weird because i have a 120hz OLED screen so it shouldnt jitter or be choppy on panning shots but it is. because 120/24 is a whole number the frame should just be held for 5 refresh cycles of the tv which is the same as displaying it at 24fps natively. So i have no idea why panning judder is so bad on my tv. The TVs native smoothing gets rid of it but that also leads to horrible soap opera effect and its way overdone.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.