[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: the-substance.jpg (51 KB, 1131x675)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I dont get whats the profit for Demi character? She doesnt get to live what Sue is living. Also, why did she cook all that food? Why are both alive at the same time?
>>
>>204812367
Yeah it's weird right?
It's taking that double life premise and nullifies any potential reward it can have.
This movie is weak af and hits you over the head with its message btw.
>>
>>204812367
It doesn't make any sense. The first scene where the younger version of her is 'born' I thought to myself, oh that's annoying having to get rid of the body yourself. Oh wait she's still alive? Oh you have to, inject her with something? And connect her blood to yours? Oh okay she's asleep while the other is awake I get it now. Oh wait now they're both awake and one is thriving while the other eats a lot of food and watches tv? Oh but the younger one can keep the older one in a coma if she wants to have more time. Oh but the older one can just wake up whenever?

Wtf was this shit ass movie? A Qualley advertisement? I skipped the over the top body horror that happens at the end.
>>
>>204812367
The biggest flaw in the movie is that Demi is much hotter than her replacement.
>>
>>204812367
did it break your patriarchy sweaty?
>>
>>204812367
I think they share core memories but have different personalities. And "emotional" experience sort of transfers.
>>
>>204812367
I saw her hairy vagina
>>
They share the same consciousness and memories, but being "Sue" is like an addiction brought to life. She craves being pretty—or at least her idea of it—constantly. It's only later in the film that Demi begins to split into Sue and Demi, like an addict with two personas: one is the real you, and the other is who you become when you give in.
>>
>>204813535
It's not hers
>>
>>204812367
Makes more sense than the moronic magician movie by Nolan where the MC literally KILLS HIMSELF so that an identical double can take the praise. None of you chuddies ever complain about that.
>>
File: i-hate-you-anakin[1].gif (443 KB, 498x211)
443 KB
443 KB GIF
>>204813744
>>
>>204813798
I'm sorry Anon.
>>
>>204813511
This. Sue was not "born" with a baby mind and doesn't have short term memories of Elisabeth's actions, but is clearly driven by Elisabeth's deep need to get back to the top of TV stardom regardless of anything else like her own present tense happiness, like when she rejected Fred because she felt inappropriate compared to Sue.

This movie is a Monkey Paw parable.
>>
should I still watch this if I can't handle horror movies/gore?
someone said the violence/gore isn't that bad or is camp enough that you don't really take it seriously but I'm not sure I believe them
>>
>>204812367
>She doesnt get to live what Sue is living
Yes she does, the point is she’s a narcissist so she hates her older self
Remember there is no “she” they are the same person, it’s self sabotage
>>
>>204815121
It's bearable
>>
>>204812780
There is nothing inherently feminist about this movie
>>
File: Spoiler Image (136 KB, 900x675)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>204813798
>>
>>204812367
They keep telling them "they are one" because they are. Both of them actually dream about what the other one is doing (partying and vinge eating) and Elizabeth recognises the guy who Sue fucked.

But the process and the effect causes intense disassociation because they lack balance. The whole problem is that Elizabeth has nothing in her older life so begins to resent Sue and Sue sees her life as the better of the two.

The film keeps making the balance and the you are on things quite obvious.
>>
>>204815221
On a scale of high-end mature-rated haunted house to Russian lathe video, where would you place it
>>
>>204812367
The movie make all the sense when you think about it from a female perspective.
As in they throw all logic out the way and always find a way to be miserable.

What is unrealistic, and understandably so because the director is a female:
Is how the male subject of the program says he is suffering from the same.

As a man I would never suffer from the same because in the old version week, the old version could use that week to maximize the younger version's week. Hell. As a man, having an older appearance can be quite helpful in a bunch of situation, giving you a look of experience and wisdom that a younger version would struggle to pass.
>>
>>204812721
>wait now they're both awake and one is thriving while the other eats a lot of food and watches tv?

>anon doesn't understand that television doesn't have to be live
>>
>>204815272
back when ladies were ladies
>>
>>204815272
Disgusting
>>
>>204812721
>>204812611
>>204812367

Holy fuck I'm sharing this board with braindead retards.
>>
File: idlazmvxx80a1.jpg (260 KB, 1600x900)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
The film is just a copy of Multiplicity(1996)
>>
>>204815346
There's a bloody, violent murder scene that as a horror fan thought lasted too long, and the movie as a whole runs more than 2 hours, depending on your sensibilities you could take it as an endurance test.
>>
>>204815346
I don't know what those things are but the movie is not meant to be scary, it's a Requiem for a Dream type of situation. Tragic but the body horror is almost over the top and ridiculous in a way
>>
>>204815121
As someone who hates horror movies I found this one okay
>>
>>204815554
> the body horror is almost over the top and ridiculous in a way
Okay that sounds kino, I can probably handle it.
The Russian lathe video was this security cam video of a Sputnik getting caught on a spinning machine and it spun so fast it eviscerated him flinging his guts and organs across the room
Worst thing I've ever seen, even worse than Funkytown
>>
>>204815391
>As a man I would never suffer from the same
The man using the substance in the film was suffering in the exact same way.
>>
>>204815628
There's a massive difference between real gore and fake gore
>>
>>204815223
apart from all of it
>>
>>204816262
No, none of it was feminist
>>
>>204813511
We don't know that and that likely isn't true. Each persona is shown to be surprised to wake up to what mess left for her by the other. The closest we have to that is Sue's chicken leg nightmare when Elizabeth was binge eating but that could also be just some sort of signal overspill between the two minds. There's very little to suggest that Elizabeth has access to Sue's experiences of the external world?
>>
>>204818292
The disassociation comes from the narcissistic personality
It’s a form of self hatred
The movie goes out of its way to remind you that there is no “she”, they are one and the same
>>
>>204816139
There's a difference between fake gore that looks obviously fake or fake gore that is intentionally made to look at real as possible
>>
>>204818292
They internalise the mess and it effects them even after the switch, they dream about what the other is doing but act almost hungover after the switch.
>There's very little to suggest that Elizabeth has access to Sue's experiences of the external world?
Elizabeth recognises the guy who Sue slept with, he proceeds to shout at her.
>>
>>204818490
The not so fine print reminder could also imply that that's just how the substance™ works because the (normally expected) gaps in memories and experience will make it hard to maintain their sense of self
>>
>>204818922
>they dream about what the other is doing
That's pure conjecture and still we don't to what extent of it she experiences or if she experiences it at all. And no, she deduced it was the dude from the helmet, she also deduced Sue misused the stabilizer from the syringe lying on the floor and the fresh wound on her back. The camera panning to it and the post it notes were deliberate context clues that argues for the opposite of what you're saying
>>
>>204812721
Kek so you skipped the best part? wth is wrong with people. This movie was a snooze fest. Only the last 25 minutes were fun.
>>
>>204815635
Yea because he was gay.
>>
>>204812367
I like Demi’s nips but other than that this movie was blah.
The ending was particularly fucking stupid.
>>
>>204812367
The profit for Demi's character is that she is so ridiculously vain that seeing a younger version of herself on top of the world validates the older version.

This is a movie where you're not supposed to think all that much about the specifics of how and why.
>>
>>204815272
>trying to lure the Bushposter out of the Penguin threads
>>
YOU ARE ONE
>>
>>204820107
This, in fact there's plausible deniability for the entire plot even taking place since she gets into a car crash in the beginning that very easily could have killed her. It could be interpreted as a near death psychological reverie based on her ego.
>>
>>204820316
Well I guess you could categorise the characters as ego and id with Elisasue being superego
>>
>>204812367
You will never experience what it is to be a beautiful woman, how can you possibly know or understand?
>>
I love how the clone egg yolk in the experiment at the beginning of the movie looks better and smoother than the matrix egg yolk in the initial experiment. That's why you watch kinos like this in a big screen.
>>
>>204812611
>women are dumb and destroy everything
Overdone trope desu. Most people want media to distract from reality.
>>
>>204815121
It's not really horror. Everything that happens is self inflicted. It's practically a comedy.
>>
>>204818922
She saw the helmet in the apartment and threw it out the door. There is nothing to suggest she recognizes the guy himself.
>>
>>204815272
delicious
>>
>>204821996
Her look at him and the fact that she froze there staring suggest there is more to it.
>>
>>204819520
Like yourself then
>>
>>204812367
Does her consciousness not transfer over to Sue?
>>
>>204812367
This movie is just a body horror version of Dorian Gray
>>
>>204822127
It was more realization about how age diminishes her in the eyes of younger people, in this case one who fucked younger Sue.
>>
>>204822127
i think it was because she was hurt by the difference in attitude of the biker guy just because she is her older self despite essentialy being the same person getting railed by him the night before. poor elizabeth
>>
>>204815272
beautiful. I love feeling the bush hairs against my face.
>>
>>204815272
I've got nothing against pubes but that's just too much.
>>
File: 897_1000.jpg (157 KB, 1000x1298)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>204815272
Imagine the intensely feminine, pheromone-rich, lightly piss-tinged musk of the thick, soft, black pelt, bros.
>>
>>204822257
This is nothing like Dorian gray you idiot.
>>
>>204812367
she does get to live what Sue is living. they're the same person. half the plot of the movie is Elizabeth/Sue failing to heed the repeated warnings of her handlers to not lose sight of the fact that they are the same person, and developing dissociative identity disorder.
>>
>>204813690
this anon also gets it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.