[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's my first time playing Pokemon GSC and I already have a full team of Johto pokemon by Ecruteak city. One criticism I agree is that the day night bullshit is annoying, I had to wait until Friday just to find a Lapras.
>>
>brown/child/normgroid
>picks cyndaquil
23 years and counting old reliable keeps on going. I still dont know who chose Chikorita.
>>
>>686915892
They’re mad because you can’t get Houndoom, Misdreavus/Murkrow or Larvitar until the game is over.

I was really pissed I couldn’t get Pikachu until the game was 2/3 over.
>>
>>686915892
Yes anon, there are at least 6 gen 2 pokemon in the early game. The majority of your team is the same as everyone else's.
Hopefully you didn't want to use a houndoom.
>>
I quit every game before E4
>>
>>686915892
No one says this. Its just a new meme from Zoomers to hate le old thing. This criticism was never raised in the last 20 years
>>
>>686916220
I did.
>>
>>686915892
NOOOOO you're supposed to hate this game!
>>
>>686916579
Hoothoot
Sentret
Spinerak
Ladyba
Mareep
Wooper
Sunkern
Hopip
Miltank
Sudowodo
Maril
Swinub
Teddiursa
Delibird
Sneasel
Phanapy
Skarmory
Togepi
Lugia
Ho-oh
Entei
Raikou
Suicune
Natu
Unown
Wobbuffet
Smeargle

Thats just off the top of my head of ones available in the first half of the game.
>>
>>686916331
And Slugma, and Scizor, Steelix, Blissey and a couple few more i'm probably forgetting. C'mon anon it's bad enough a lot of new mons are version exclusive then we get even less before the main game, a region should let you get all the new stuff it has, the fact there's some stuff you might wanna use which is post-game only sucks.
>>
>>686917051
Nah you're wrong.
Your next line is
>No argument? I accept your concession
You presented no argument, and as such, can be dismissed without one.
>>
>>686916220
I did. Grass master race. The only time I didn't choose grass was for the frog ninja.
>>
>>686917176
Hey anon did yoy know the previous generation had 15(1) brand-spanking-new pokemon
>>
>>686916331
Larvitar makes total sense to be a late game mon to find and invest into. It's gen 2's dragonite.
>>
>>686916331
The game isn't over until you beat Red. Do the games actually lock those Pokemon away until after you beat Red?
>>
>>686916220
I did. I always pick the grass starter.
>>
>>686917267
>No argument? I accept your concession
You presented no argument, and as such, can be dismissed without one.
I didn’t present an argument, nor did OP
No one is having an argument. This is 4chan.
>>
>>686917137
I technically did too but I was off of yellow and absolutely loved Bulbasaur from the anime. Got home from Wal Mart and spent like 6 hours fighting hoothoots...next morning I woke up to try the cool crocodile instead and my experience that DAY was much better.
>>
File: Dw7aPjMV4AAXPSC.jpg (373 KB, 1724x2048)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
I think the idea was so someone with a complete save game could trade those pokemon to someone starting a new game.
But that fucking sucks for the majority of players playing alone.
>>
>>686917467
You werent even alive then you dont declare when the game ends. The game ended with the elite four and what wr discovered afterwards was a first time gaming culture phenomenon not just "NG+" or "end game" cancer.
Though this raises a larger point that anyone who would know they were missing out on whatever in Johto is playing years later from the mindset of a manchild tendie speed running autismo which is NOT the same as 90s kids playing organically.
>>
>>686917176
Sneasel is only available outside of Red's cave. Or at least in GS, not sure in Crystal. Skarmory is also Silver exclusive with no way for Gold player to know it even exist outside of trading.
>>
>>686917887
Stop projecting, zoomer.
>>
The new pokemon in gold and silver are supposed to be newly discovered, not exclusive to Johto.
The developers also expected players to actually try and catch them all, which is why some are hidden in hard to access areas.
>>
>>686917467
A bunch of them are locked away until you have 16 badges.
>>
>>686917184
Slugma's placement(a small grass patch in Kanto Cycling road) is so bad, a good portion of player base thought, it is a gen 3 pokemon
>>
>>686917887
>was a first time gaming culture phenomenon

Lol no it wasn't you dumb fuck. It was the first time YOU saw it as a kid, but it was already so standard that it was EXPECTED at that point for every JRPG to have a "secret" second world map be revealed when it seemed the game was over. Sometimes even a third.
>>
>>686917176
Half of those only become available on the last couple of routes in Johto and you know it. By then people already have their team set.
>>
>>686918279
The game views “catching them all” as a different goal than defeating the elite four, and since battles in Pokemon are brain dead simple(there’s only one in the game that would give a child trouble) the devs didnt design the game around doing repeated elite four play throughs with the full roster of every pokemon available early for different “builds”. Another anon said it best, this is retrospective manchild autism upset a $40 gameboy game focuses on sending a child on an adventure and doesnt cater to their weird autism
>>
>>686918527
Those are all gen 3 babies who may have played a little bit of gold or silver before they learned how to read.
The pokedex tells you exactly where to catch pokemon you've seen
>>
The bigger problem is the abundnace of shitmons. Actually using a full team in GSC/HGSS feels like suffering because no matter who you pick, there will be 2 weak links that will never pull their weight no matter how much you try and raise them up.
>>
>>686918894
>goal post moving
>>
File: 1717015932041097.gif (2.42 MB, 540x360)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB GIF
>>686918637
Oh really? Examples? Id like to see what youre equating to Kanto.
Then with whatever incomparable joke of an answer that technically has a "secret map" which could be a single voss fight lets compare that obscure bullshit that wasnt even translated until the 2010s(zoom zoom bud) to 90s and 2000s pokemon as a cultural phenomenon.
>>
>>686918894
Nobody is forcing your team to be 'set'
>>
>>686919352
>Id like to see what youre equating to Kanto.
your parents disappointment when they find you are gay
>>
>>686919361
I'm not going to stop and level up a pokemon 15 levels below my team.
>>
>>686919161
The game is horrendously easy, what the fuck are you talking about
>>
File: 1722458549758130.gif (1.07 MB, 452x254)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB GIF
>>686918527
It isnt?
>>
>>686918042
crystal moved sneasel to the ice cave
>>
>>686919504
They added expshare specifically for this.
>>
>>686919457
You arent him let him eat his own shit
>>
>>686915892
Because people are retarded and for some reason youtubers now have a hard on for hating on gen2.
>>
>>686919564
Yeah it's so easy you don't need a full team which bogs you down in this game because trying to keep everyone at the same level sucks ass since the wild pokemon are so weak.
>>
>>686915892
Some of them like Houndour, Slugma, and Misdreavus are locked behind beating the elite 4
>>
>>686919504
Then you'll miss out. That's your choice.
>>
It also has an incredible lack of environmental story telling. The whole battle system is very demure.
>>
>>686919123
Pokemon being pokedex filler isn't a good argument. A pokemon is worthless if it's only available way too late to use.

As I said earlier, you were supposed to trade these pokemon to others with fresh save files. It's not a bad concept at the time when every kid was playing it, but it sucks now.
>>
>>686915892
The coolest Johtomons are only available post E4. Ampharos and Quagsire are pretty cool but they are not Tyranitar.
>>
>>686919715
>trying to keep everyone at the same level
You are aware this is already an insane thing to do in normal jrpgs and absolutely maniac to attempt in a Pokemon game?
>>
>>686915892
>got btfo'd so hard he decided to make the thread again
>>>/vp/56369607
How embarrassing.
>>
>mentions exp share
You are not and never will be a real pokemon player. You are a zoomer or a manchild who should have moved on along with me 20 years ago.
>>
>>686919796
>game adds new Pokemon as you progress through the game
>this is bad because ?????
>>
>>686919352
>example
Dragon quest 3 you literally go back to the previous game's world map
>>
>>686919842
> an incredible lack of environmental story telling
>demure
OK which youtuber said this?
>>
>>686919907
Keeping everyone around the same level is what most players do. The ones that don't are 5 year olds or speedrunners powerleveling their starter.
>>
>>686919884
>Why can't I catch a Dragonite on route 1? >:(
>>
I can't imagine how you faggots would complain if you unlocked kanto after beating the elite 4 and there were no new pokemon to catch after that point
>>
>>686919852
That was never the concept. You were not supposed to trade them from someone else. The game is a pokedex filler.
If the battles were the focus they wouldnt have made the game beatable using just 1 move from your starter pokemon for every fight. Im sorry this concept doesnt live up to modern pokemon breeding EV autismo standards.
When my time machine is complete I will inform gamefreak their adventure game wont age well with 30 something neckbeards surrounded by anime figurines playing it on android emulators
>>
>>686915892
Are you actually interested in an answer to the question or are you just going to go "nuh uh" and make terrible non-arguments like >>686917467
>>
>>686920047
Please seek help man.
>>
>>686919918
I’m 33 and ill never stop having fond memories of exploring the ruins at night and there’s nothing you can do about it. You will never have a tyranitar in your battle with ho-oh and there’s nothing you can do about it
>>
>>686920118
You could catch a Dratini in Red/Blue/Yellow before the sixth badge.
>>
>>686920353
No u
>>
>>686915892
theres a board for this mobile shit
>>
>>686920174
>That was never the concept. You were not supposed to trade them from someone else.
Why is houndour only catchable at level 15, anon? Hint: because it's not for you.
>>
>>686920353
Same as him always kept my teams around the same level right up to 80-ish in g/s
>>
>>686920703
Because how would you explain all the stater zones from the last game having beefed up Pokemon?
If everything post e4 was meant for trades they would all be level 5 instead of matching the level profile of the previous game.
They chose to create a immersive world where one can truly feel they are treading the footsteps of a giant before finally meeting said giant and dueling him atop a mountain.
>>
>People finally growing out of the blinding nostalgia for gen 2
Love to see it
>>
>>686920703
>Hint: because it's not for you.
I bet you had fun catching wife's Houndoom lmao
>>
>>686920917
Yea expshare makes this easy
>>
>>686915892
>slugma
>houndour
>sneasel
>murkrow
>misdreveous
>larvitar
Counting evos thats 10/100 pokemon locked behind end game. Plus you dont get delibird/wobuffet/skarmory until the end of Jhoto and there are 6 baby Pokemon and 5 alt evolutions also consuming those jhoto nat dex slots, so 21 pokemon behind late game or extra shit, 6 legends (cant catch celebi and any kanto legend tho), 9 starter evo line pokemon, and Unown that you probably wont use (barring starter) on your in game team. Numbers are really low here.
>>
>>686918042
I caught sneasel in gold outside the Ruins of Alph tomb that came from Union Cave, same place you get Natu.
>>
>>686920118
You can get Dratini as soon as you get the coin case, two Snorlaxes are in the overworld, you can catch Tauros in the safari zone before you even beat Eirika, you can catch Articuno and Zapdos after beating Koga, and Yellow gives you every starter. Johto is cucked when it comes to giving you cool Johto mons and no amount of cope will change that.
>>
>>686921554
Forgot Porygon 2 in those new gen eveolutions
>>686921219
It aint blind. Held items, daycare breeding.
>>
>>686921775
*daycare breeding, pokephone, day/night cycle, and Kurt balls were all super welcome additions, plus the whole gen being in color was also awesome.
>>
>>686919361
The level curve does
You know the second thing everyone uses to shit all over gen 2
>>
>>686921056
>Because how would you explain all the stater zones from the last game having beefed up Pokemon?
Why do you think this is mutually exclusive? It's honestly a good point that they wanted to keep things consistent with the previous game, but that doesn't mean they didn't also want you to trade them to others.
It doesn't make sense that all of the trainers in these early routes have pokemon stronger than the elite 4, that's pretty immersion breaking.

>If everything post e4 was meant for trades they would all be level 5
Only for people who literally just started a new game. The early game is still before level 20, and you can breed them if you really want them at level 5.
>>
>>686916220
Chikorita was the worst choice. It was the choice of girls, boys who would become girls or at least gay, and Grass-type diehards who wanted to pretend it was just a stupider-looking Bulbasaur
>>
>>686921669
That's smeargle not sneasel
>>
>>686921725
Realistically what are the chances of that? You would've had to save scum like nothing else because other than a Meowth spitting out token amounts of money with Pay Day, a limited amount of trainers means limited money, and once you ran out of money there would be no way to get more coins, so your run would be to bet high, save if you actually won, then keep resetting.
>>
>>686919630
That really don't solve the issue with all wild pokemon and non-boss trainers being level 15 and all gym leaders being level 30+. Pokemon that haven't been in the team for a long time really can't catch up in this game without hours of grinding.
>>
>>686922762
>what is the elite 4
>>
>>686916220
My big brother picked Totodile and my big sister picked Cyndaquil so I was left with Chikorita
I love her now
>>
>>686921669
Damn it all
>>
>>686922762
If you pick up all the hidden coins in the Game Corner it would only cost you around 50000p to bypass all rng and just buy Dratini. So unless you are blowing your money on vitamins or constantly losing this shouldn't be a problem. Though you can also catch Dratini at the safari zone if you hate slots or mashing A for coins.

>>686923180
Elite 4 is late game which isn't applicable to what we are talking about.
>>
>>686915892
Try getting a Marill.
>>
File: hq720.jpg (81 KB, 686x386)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
fuck I want to go back so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFCfyEQ2ihY
>>
>>686915892
Bro I’m not gonna lie that team is trash. All of them are mid
>>
>>686920280
>the game doesn't end until it actually ends
>this is a "non-argument"
>"bro why can't I catch every Pokemon in the first third of the game this is stupid"
>>
>>686925328
This. No offense OP but get a Heracross or Marowak or some decent mons in your team, the fuck you doing with Smeargle and Sudowoodo
>>
>>686921219
Despite the design flaws it remains a better gen than everything after III.
>>
>>686926173
Heracross unironically sucks in gen 2 because of its god awful movepool. Look at this shit his best move is horn attack until he reached level 54 lmao
>>
I think the only thing I really hate about Johto was the evolution while trading and holding an item. Slowking, kingdra, Scizor, Steelix... All of them locked to having a friend with link cable was pain.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.