[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vg/ - Video Game Generals

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

3-Year duration 4chan Passes are now available for $45

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: agdg frog.png (306 KB, 469x457)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
frogon

>Demo Days
NOW: https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-58
Previous: https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-57
Older: https://hackmd.io/LhEB6VCZSx-oBalI2cWWoA

>AGDG resources
https://hackmd.io/dLaaFCjDSveKVeEzqomBJw

>Helpful links
New Threads: >>>/vg/agdg
Archive: https://arch.b4k.co/vg/search/subject/agdg/
/agdg/ Steam Games: https://made-by-agdg.vercel.app/

>How to WebM
https://obsproject.com
https://github.com/argorar/WebMConverter
https://github.com/michaelmob/WebMCam

previous
>>>493490325
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 320x180)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
I currently have under my ownership over 20 (multi-million) game project concepts spread across 8 IPs.

Just wanted to let you know I'm better than (You). Good day.
>>
thinking on never taking the "just get it working pill" again, and just gonna do everything Properly™ the first time from now on
>>
File: solarTest.webm (856 KB, 1920x1080)
856 KB
856 KB WEBM
>Today I worked on custom export to make my life easier
>>
>>493591168
Ok bye Cris, please don't post for the rest of the day now
>>
>>
>>493591237
I tried starting my project over in a clean environment and just redoing things the right way. Didn't work out but then I'd coded some shit I really wanted in the older build. Tried to merge and failed horribly, retardedly overwrote shit I wanted to keep, lost two weeks of progress. I'm not fucking with "the right way" until my game is done.
>>
>>493591287
I'm not cris and you know that.
>>
>>493591168
You can say whatever you want but being a frogposter makes your inferior to me in my eyes.
>>
File: nikke.webm (3.42 MB, 560x492)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB WEBM
is it hard to make gacha games like this?
>>
File: file.png (165 KB, 640x640)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>493590979
>wants to be a gamedev
>scared of c++
>>
In godot I have a gridmap which I'm using for most of the map and placing doors throughout it.
How do I handle the Navigation Mesh so that it reacts to the door opening and closing, do I just rebake it?
>>
>>493591772
you need a competent artist
>>
>>493591861
Nikke's art is AI slop thoughever
>>
>>493591818
I hate linking libraries and a game engine feels more agnostic since I can develop for any system.
>>
File: news.jpg (140 KB, 1024x683)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Of possible interest to aggerbaggers

Patch 7 of BG3 finally released, with a modding toolkit. Notably, it has been clearly stated that this is not suitable for making custom campaigns or levels etc.
However, it was apparently quite easy to just fiddle a little and unlock it, providing almost a full dev tool for level creation, scripting, cutscenes, and so on.
Potentially could be Larian "accidentally" allowing this to happen as a middle finger to greedy dickbags Wizards of the Coast.

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/12021
Will be interesting to see if it gets taken down or what happens. It's hard to believe that this was completely accidental. I think I've read that relations soured between Larian and WotC (unsurprising if true, pretty much everyone walks away from WotC/Hasbro for being shitty)
>>
>>493591729
You have been surpassed by a frogposter. How does that feel?
>>
I have to say, today was a productive day. I finally fixed the Linux build of my game, I now added the ability of looking up and down for the friendly fighting characters, and I worked on some verse for the Zmeian Compendium, chronicling the work of Count Simon Frydrak, the legendary namesake of Frydar Island. I expect to see more reviews and feedback as this Demo Day continues.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I will be listening to some of the synth and harpsichord works of Volodymyr Bystryakov, specifically concerning the adventures of a certain British young lady and her adventures inside of a mirror.
>>
>>493591824
navigationlink
>>
>Yes, I completely see why changing the class of an object, like using a ColorRect for prototyping when you actually want a Sprite, is frustrating and not a good solution. It’s bad because you want to maintain the structure of your game with the correct node types and not hack your way around limitations, only to later rework everything. You're right—it feels unintuitive and cumbersome for quick prototyping, especially in a tool designed to be user-friendly like Godot.
>Unfortunately, Godot doesn’t currently offer an in-editor way to create a truly blank texture without either importing one or using code, which is indeed frustrating.
Thanks chat GPT very helpful
fuck Godot
>>
File: Fm8OO7KWAAMQXtk.jpg (1.45 MB, 2462x3229)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>493590718
Your post reminded me of this classic ad.
>>
>>493592128
pick the most popular games of the past year, of the ones using out of house engines see which engine they are using, you will notice all of them are using unreal, unity is dead period, godon't is too weak and featureless to be considered a real choice, shitmaker is a meme that had relevance a decade ago. You can go against the current, just don't complain when you drown.
>>
>>493592408
>He use placeholder
>He doesn't create an aesthetic experience from the get go
NGMI
>>
>>493592298
I don't feel surpassed. If you want to know exactly how I feel: I feel a bit disappointed there are frog posters in the thread and wish they were replaced by animeposters instead.
>>
>>493592408
Actual retard, go back
>>
>>493592575
I don't want to waste my time doing the art if I can't get a prototype working mechanically.
>>493592635
I've been a nodev for years
>>
>>493592575
This. If your game's early prototype isn't as polished as elden ring then you need to go back and polish it
>>
>>493592316
>Volodymyr Bystryakov
Thanks for the suggestion, it's great so far
>>
>>493592618
>wish they were replaced by animeposters
So you are even worse than frogposters, oh my.
>>
>>493592472
https://steamtrender.com/home
gamemaker
unity
unity
unity
love2d
?
unreal
unity
gamemaker
unity
>>
>>493592316
Dude, sounds like you really crushed it today. Fixing the Linux build is no small feat, and adding vertical aiming for your characters is a solid way to add depth to the combat. The Zmeian Compendium sounds interesting too; Count Simon Frydrak has some serious lore potential if you flesh it out right.

And nice taste in music! Bystryakov's stuff is pretty atmospheric, perfect for setting the mood while you work. Just make sure you don’t get too lost in the mirror world while you’re at it. Keep grinding and let's see what kind of feedback you get from the Demo Day!
>>
>>493592828
I don't feel worse than frogposters. Anime is much higher quality than your glorified mspaint scribble frog.
>>
File: Main_BG_Base.png (2.22 MB, 6516x2130)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>493592735
>waste my time doing the art if
Art like code can (and should be) be reused
>I can't get a prototype working mechanically.
Progress anon, overthinking is bad.
>>
>>493592863
I never said indie. Imagine not aiming for the stars.
>>
I'll review more demos when the submission period is done so I can see more of what is being submitted
>>
What's a relatively painless way to do 2D side-scrolling backgrounds for someone with meagre art skill? Don't say AI.
>>
>>493593254
Artificial Intelligence.
>>
>>493593254
Algorithm art. It's not AI, but you make a design based on a pattern
https://www.zazow.com/
>>
>>493593254
Ligne clair artstyle
>>
>>493593254
Plain color silhouettes
>>
File: FByEIHlXoAAkBmv.jpg (98 KB, 600x526)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>tfw spent today drawing flowcharts and diagrams trying to figure out the code I have to write next
>then took a break by making some 3d environment assets I don't need yet
>>
File: trumpet guy.jpg (80 KB, 675x1200)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
i like how everytime you call nortubel ngmi, he acts like pic related
>>
>>493593741
i have the feeling your code isn't complex enough to warrant that
>>
File: 1724555927791330.png (997 KB, 1275x1650)
997 KB
997 KB PNG
>>493593254
develop your own cheap 2D style.
>>
>>493593742
But I never call Nortubel NGMI...
>>
>>493593927
did cris make the chibi one? actually p good
>>
File: bf3.jpg (100 KB, 900x506)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
Was optimizing my game then I start to remember battlefield 3 for some reason, realized Dice must've done some crazy black magic to port this game on to the xbox/ps3 with less than 500mb of ram to work with, it's fucking insane.
>>
>>493594063
it's traced
>>
>>493594151
meant for >>493594121
>>
File: Fygoon and His Mentor.png (739 KB, 3000x1640)
739 KB
739 KB PNG
>>493592774
I gotchu, broski. Whatchu listening to right now?
>>493592928
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, so I’ll take it that you’re genuinely interested in what I have to say…
The Zmeian Compendium is, essentially, the go-to place to learn about everything in the Fygooniverse, as it provides context and information that I would otherwise have to either shoehorn into the game or remove entirely. Of note is the section dedicated to the history of Frydar Island (since I have yet to completely flesh out the histories of Idego Island, Goloomaia Island, DarkWater Island, and Dosornar Island outside of nebulous characters like the Idegian Humans and Axolotl Men, the lonely Goloomaian Sage Greenthumb and his Rockmen, and the Dosornarian Amalgam): this details the founding of the island, the Naming Race organized by Basileus Fygarin, and, most importantly, a detailed recounting of the Dragon-Elvarian War that’s referenced in both the manual and, once the cutscenes are done, the game by many characters like Viceroy Brutus Canor, Vicereine Iris, and Basileus Fygoon.
One day I might make a prequel detailing the brutal war, but for now a simple outline is enough.
>>
How the fuck was I supposed to know?
>>
>>493594826
No sarcasm here. Your world-building sounds next level, especially with all those islands and factions. The Zmeian Compendium sounds like a beast of a lore book, and it's great you're putting that much effort into fleshing out the backstory. Frydar Island with its deep history and the Dragon-Elvarian War sounds epic.

I can see how all that lore could enrich the game experience without overwhelming players with info dumps. Having that as a reference is smart. And yeah, a prequel could be awesome once the main game is out and you've got the fanbase hungry for more.

Also, props for the character names—Viceroy Brutus Canor and Basileus Fygoon have a nice ring to them. Keep at it, man. Sounds like you're building something really unique. Can't wait to see how it all comes together. And hey, if you need playtesters or more feedback, hit me up. Always down to dive into a new world.
>>
>>493595108
thats not unreal
>>
The fygooner is responding to himself again
>>
File: 1725748339873696.png (147 KB, 635x900)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>Nah dudes, my game is super complex and has lots of things to convey to the cust-
>>
>>493595108
Why do some of you even bother trying to make games if you're this stupid
>>
>>493595787
Why do you hate Nolgorb.
>>
>>493595991
meant for >>493595562
>>
File: Docked-1.webm (3.14 MB, 1198x598)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB WEBM
>>493593865
Here's what I have so far.

The green box is a spaceship, controllable from inside the ship via the console
The inside of the ship doesn't move in space, it's just and rendered on a different view and physics layer than the outside of the ship, the camera then superimposes them on top of each other for testing purposes though the final game may not look like this because unless there's a window you can't see outside

The purple box is a space station, you can fly your ship to dock at the spacestation and its interior appears. I have have a basic proof of concept working where the interior of the spacestation which was hidden off somewhere else teleports to where it needs to be relative to the interior of the ship when it gets close enough so that one of the players can walk across to it after docking.

I was trying to figure out how to make this scalable. Which objects interiors move when needed and which don't, how stations will be constructed, probably from modules consisting of many separate interiors. How would two ships dock with each other? Etc.

Anyway I have to do it this way because the players are not parented to the interior that they're in because they have to be able to walk across to other interiors, and I can't change parent because synchronising two nodes across the network is enough of a ballache without that node moving around in the scene tree. So having the interior remain stationary just prevents a ton of jitter and headaches, I know this because this is my second attempt at this project.
>>
>>493595975
who?
>>
You need to spend at least a week to a month on designing your game's Steam/Itch page. It's literally the first thing your customers will see, how do people not spend more time on it?
>>
>>493595895
>just be born with knowledge bro otherwise you're stupid
ok my bad
>>
>>493596109
That's Nolgorb's Ordeal.
>>
>>493596109
Project Nolgorbel
>>
>>493595895
Crab.
I am replying to the post I intend to reply and anyone claiming otherwise is an impostor.
>>
>>493593927
Reminds me of that /ic/ SCHIZO OF STAGNATION infographic
>>
>>493595975
This is the worst Steam page in a long while.
Anyone who isn't /agdg/ would think this moves exactly like every other 3D game
>>
>>493596101
Holy shit are you doing 3d isometric SS13?
>>
>>493596519
It's an immersive kangaroo experience. Kangaroos don't write steam page descriptions..
>>
>>493596101
noice!
>>
>>493596151
>>493596359
If you run into a problem or you don't know where something is and your immediate thought isn't "Let me read the docs first" then you're your own worst enemy.
>>
>>493596101
It's all boxes but that is already so cool
>>
>>493594826
Good music taste and deep lore, what's your game called so I can follow it? I rarely visit /agdg/ anymore, pure happenstance.

>Whatchu listening to right now?
Revisiting my teenage self with exploring further the discography of Legendary Pink Dots, Skinny Puppy, and all related. Have in the past really enjoyed "krautrock" and such things. Would enjoy other music suggestions if you have any.
Plans for music in your game? Old music has me dusting off a bit of old gear, and planning stuff purely on paper. I like the thought of programming markov chains to pick variations of sets of bars, so the music stays a bit fresh as it loops. Inspired by Satie also with "furniture music."
>>
>>493591265
exports make your life easier until godot fucks it up and sets the values to null
>>
I bought sleepy time extra chamomile tea with valerian root and tilia estrella. You are all so fucked.
>>
File: dog thumbs up.jpg (25 KB, 465x372)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>493596101
>keeps his IP Address in the webm
Nice, way to dox yourself lmao
>>
>>493597053
oh my god, i looked it up and the game is coming from inside the house!
>>
>>493597175
Wait, you guys have homes?
>>
File: TutorialImage.png (1.73 MB, 2646x3352)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
It's another "It's too early to make a tutorial, so here's an image" episode.
Next steps I think(but won't say for certain until demo day feedback):
- Screw around with objectives I can STEAL from board games and other Table top stuff.
I have a general framework now and I need to just throw as much stuff at the wall as I can to see what sticks. Next demo day I want to have ten or so scenarios.
- Building upgrades
- path synergies
- Make a map editor and other debugging tools I'll need for rapid iteration
- Convert to a ledger system
The current system runs through a function, weaving animations with gameplay calculations. Workable, but not ideal long term because I'd rather keep those two things separate for convivence. So instead of `turn_end` they'd be `calculate_turn` which returns a list of changes to the game state and `play_turn` which takes each change and animates it.
Should also make debugging easier, although codifying changes into explicit objects might be tricky, since every change to state needs a message like `villagerDied`, `vilagerBorn`, `resource_produced`, ...
- Crap out as much art as possible.
- Fix the resolution
- Switch to a radial menu design for building menu
- STEAL UI designs from other 4X games.
>>
File: new_art.webm (1.14 MB, 1920x1080)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB WEBM
Artfags, could I get feedback on the cohesiveness of this entire scene? I tried to stick to a common theme and color palette, and I think the hut/trees/bushes look decent and consistent. One goal for this game is for it to look good [/spoiler]so people actually play it[/spoiler]
>>
>>493596539
No, also it's split-screen co-op only.
>>
>>493596101
Did you make your own engine?
>>
>>493596539
More like Barotrauma. Multiplayer coop crewing a spaceship, one guy drives, the other guy mans the guns, another guy sends the reactor critical and kills you all. It wouldn't be anywhere as deep as SS13 but I could add clowns if the people demand it.
>>
File: 16154650406450.png (63 KB, 1050x400)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>Bottom game shows up 2-3 times in the thread at most
Well anons, would you call it an /agdg/ game? I'd say that's as much /agdg/ as VA-11 Hall-A
>>
>>493592863
>stardew clone released a month ago
>estimated 1M revenue
>>
File: Fygoon and His Friends.png (2.54 MB, 3000x1640)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB PNG
>>493595184
The Zmeian Compendium will be its own dedicated website so it’s not all relegated to a wiki and I can add cool stuff in like a fan art gallery and, far into the future, a free-to-view animated series of shorts that chronicle the game’s plot in a very abridged fashion like the Kievnauchfilm cartoons I love; funding for this hypothetical series will be provided by game sales, and each episode would begin with a brief note stating that fact. The Zmeian Compendium can be accessed by a special menu in The Frydarian Tale (it’s there right now but it doesn’t link to a URL yet because I want to complete the site first before I buy a domain) so, if players wish, they can learn more about the game’s world if they are unable to play the game anymore.
You know, your words mean a lot to me, man. I’ve had this story in my mind since elementary school, and it wasn’t until a year ago that I finally had an opportunity to realize my dream. I became disillusioned with developing games after I was taught that, unless I catered to the masses, nobody would care about my work. It’s people like you who made me realize that there is, in fact, people out there who are genuinely interested in my story, and I thank you greatly for finally letting me share my vision, unhindered by outside influences as Frydar Island is left unhindered by the influences of the continental world.
>>
>>493597836
Like the other anon said it already looks incredible and you could keep adding stuff until it was 3d ss13.
>>
>>493597757
Those are two separate clients side by side. And I'd like to make singleplayer viable
>>493597828
It is godot
>>
>>493597842
Why, considering VA-11 Hall-A was posted here way more than 3 times?
>>
>>493597581
How come the ball bounces on nothing instead of dropping into the water?
>>
File: like gentlemen.jpg (107 KB, 950x963)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
How many of you have another creative hobby besides gamedeving?

I mean things like writting a book, drawing a comic, composing music, etc.

Im starting to believe that the only way to make progress on your game is to focus on it and nothing else. Like you really Cant have two different creative hobbies.
>>
File: file.png (1.56 MB, 1920x1080)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
Bokube's time is over. There is a new gang in the playground.
>>
>I'm too tired from work, I'll dev tomorrow
>it's Saturday, I need to just relax...
>Sunday, gotta make some progress
>>
>>493598307
I draw stuff. I wanna try drawing a comic but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
>>
>>493596708
reading docs is for LOSERS did eric read docs? thought so!
>>
WHERE ARE DA LOLIGAEMS??
>>
>>493598056
wait godot can do mp now?
>>
Strictly speaking, the playable character looks out of place in spite of clearly having the most effort put into them. They're a bit too detailed for how small they are even with the chibi proportions. Maybe try adding a border around them and see if that helps at all
>>
File: proposal1.png (2.96 MB, 1920x1080)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB PNG
>>493598206
The white edges are supposed to be railings. I was toying with the idea of making them actual ~0.25 height walls, like picrel quick sketch. Do you think that would make it clearer?
>>
>>493598749
Eric had no choice to since he was using XNA which is a piece of shit
>>
>>493598812
>Child Predators have entered the chat
Welp, time to find another community...
>>
>>493598645
this. even if the work doesn't involve exercise, it tires you just as much
>>
File: Tri-Peak Mountains Large.png (1.05 MB, 1280x720)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>493596770
It’s called The Frydarian Tale. It’s a relatively simple game because it’s a test to see if I can actually make a complete game and not have it languish in development hell like Impulsehazard.
For the music side of things, I like fantasy soundtracks that incorporate synth: the soundtrack for Ralph Bakshi’s Wizards is one I definitely love and remains in my trifecta of best fantasy soundtracks (alongside The Neverending Story’s soundtrack and Through the Looking-Glass’s soundtrack). The music in my game tries to emulate that concept, as though the characters all live in a medieval fantasy land, the player’s ears aren’t assaulted with the same copy-paste orchestral sweeps that companies like Nintendo love to overuse; like the graphics, The Frydarian Tale’s soundtrack is its own unique thing.
>>
>start new project
>game requires so many systems working before the actual gameplay can be programmed
Why is it like this? Even for something simple like an isometric management game requires:
>UI split for gamescreen and buttons
>tile selection and highlighting -- single, lines, boxes, pathfinding for certain modes, mouse state
>tile placement -- everything to do with money, requires everything with tile selection, orientations for every single adjacent tiles, tile sizes (1x2 placements)
>map generation
All of the above is required before you can actually begin your game and each one of these has underlying systems that need to be built.

>>493597581
>consider direction of the sun and your shadows
>for each of your objects on the map, you might want some boundaries that highlight where the ball can and can't go (i.e. the tree stump should have a ring around it to show level bounds)
>>
>>493598307
I found that committing all my time to one project in the hopes that "you can do anything as long as you give your 100% to it" always ended up being a trap and led me to a pitfall of laziness

I found that generally productive people are spread pretty thin, and are balancing many things in their life in exchange for not having a lot of free time. It's a skill that needs to be trained.
>>
>>493598923
Looks like I'm CORRECT ;)
>>
>>493598848
>>493597581
oops didn't reply to the post
>>
>>493598645
I am very grateful that I work from home and don't have to waste 2-4 hours of my personal time just traveling to and from work. I don't think I'd be able to dev after (or during) work otherwise.
>>
>>493598902
They could do with a little bit of height, yes. As it stands, they look more like the lines on a tennis court.
>>
>>493596101
what software are you using for task management and flowcharts? please help me big bro
>>
File: 1699156558486471.png (281 KB, 600x900)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>493597581
as bitch ass artfag, you need to ask yourself, what's the purpose of your level.

What will be the dificulty of it.

For some golf game, it helps then to think in terms of actual golf shit.

So, you will need sand dunes, holes, animals, wind, etc.
As for the level shape, is a good idea to base your level shape from the combination of basic shapes like triangles, circles and squares.

It also helps to think in terms of your level being a temporal event, like the playlist in a DAW.

You need sections where everything is convoluted next to sections where nothing happens to let the "melody" of the level breathe and have contrast.
>>
>>493591729
>no amount of this kinda cope will ever outcompete someone who's rich
it's like saying you're better than someone just because they wear a fedora. sure notch is terrible at living a happy life but you can't change the fact he never has to wage. now if i had that kinda wealth i'd be pretty darn happy while posting frogs and bocchis to irritate people like you kek. oh and my game too cause it made more money than yours. You'd look like a guy seething at a girl who just rejected him.
>>
>>493595562
If I was responding to myself, I would’ve flip-flopped between calling Fygoon “Basileus Fygoon” or “Joseph Fygoon”.
>>
>>493598837
Godotchad has always been able to do Multiplayer. Wtf are you on about?>>493598987
>Why do I have to create a UI for my game?
That's why you interface with the game, anon.
>It took me 5 minutes to read the documentation on how to convert mouse position to tile coordinated
Okay? That's a good thing it was so fast and effortless, anon.
>I dont understand Godot's new tilemap system
That's your problem, anon. It's a skill issue.
>No wait I dont want to use the tilemap editor after all. I want to generate maps.
If you dont know what youre making, you arent making anything, anon. This is just called prototyping. Prototype isnt gamedev. It's what some do sometimes before they start gamedev.
>>
>>493599291
That's not what he asked, retarded dunning kruger
>>
>>493599306
no way you would be posting frogs and boochis if you were rich, you would be too busy enjoying life, right now your life is shit, you are like those prisoners who scribble on the cell walls
>>
>>493599291
>>493597581
sorry, I missread that you needed advice on designing your level, not the cohesiveness of the art.

Generally try to keep your colors coherent and limited to something like max of 12 colors in the scene, could work.
>>
>>493598902
You'll eventually want some levels without guard rails, so you should sort out the guard rails now
>>
>>493599423
As an artist, you should consider the purpose of your level. Think about its difficulty as well. If you're designing a golf game, it’s helpful to incorporate actual golfing elements. This means you’ll need features like sand dunes, holes, animals, and wind. When designing the layout, it’s beneficial to create a shape based on a mix of basic forms such as triangles, circles, and squares. Additionally, envision your level as a progression, similar to a playlist in a digital audio workstation. Incorporate sections that are complex alongside simpler parts to allow the "melody" of the level to flow and provide contrast.
>>
>>493599306
>but you can't change the fact he never has to wage
Neither do I. Guess that makes me better than you according to your own metrics on top of being better than you according to my own metrics of not being a frogposter.
>>
>>493599360
Anon >>493598987 is using Unity. Clearly. Unity is marketed as a WYSIWYG editor but is actually barebones and requires you to have the same skills you's need if you created your own engine. It's ironically for people who dont need it but marketed as an engine for people without the skills to use it.
>>
>>493599580
>Neither do I.
Proof now or you are a f****t.
>>
>>493597581
Brighten the trees so they fit with the bushes. Darken the wall of the houses, since they're in shadow. You should also darken the wall of the stage. You could do it depending on the angle since it looks flat right now since they're all the same shade. Also, your trees might cause visibility issues. Consider making them more top-down-like, so they occupy less space and their collision shape becomes more accurate.
>>
>>493599607
I'm using Love3D, did you even read my post?
>>
>>493599557
Fuck off, chatgpt
>>
>>493598902
Make them out of glass so you don't have to fuck around with cutaway shaders if the ball ends up behind one of them.

How are you handling slopes BTW? Every mini golf course I've played has had slopes and jumps
>>
>>493598964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRrIBqKsJ4
>>
>>493599646
I don't even know how I'd prove that without doxing myself
>>
>>493598987
thx anon, yeah I have to work on sun and shadows. Most top down oblique games like original zelda etc assume a sun directly above for simplicity's sake. And yeah I need to think through how to communicate what objects are interactable and not

>>493599238
>>493599552
Awesome yeah I'll add height, shouldn't be too hard. And yeah I have the functionality now to skip guard rails, but I need to draw more.

>>493598848
Yeah I agree the playable characters look out of place. It does suck because I did put a lot of effort into then lol. Idk about borders though, I'm trying to go for a completely borderless cartoony style. I'll try to make them "fit in" more though.

>>493599291
>>493599458

Both bits of advice are great, thx a bunch. I think I get what you're saying, I'm also am amateur acryllic painter on-and-off, and the best analogy to what you were saying is that good paintings have a "harmony" and "flow", making good use of negative space and stuff to guide the viewers eyes around in a way that invokes beauty. I definitely think I can rely on some of those concepts, thx for giving me right brain advice appreciate it.
>>
>>493596708
I looked through the docs except I was looking in the wrong place which was telling me it's not possible until i just figured it out via luck
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (300 KB, 792x832)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
if you are an atheist stop making games right now, leave your room and fix your life first, then come back
>>
File: a-Pepesmile.png (1 KB, 48x48)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>find stock images vaguely related to what i seek
>downscale them
>apply pixelation filter
thanks for the free sprites!
>>
>>493598562
Kino
>>
>>493595787
Yeah it's definitely not a very good description section. Not sure why he did it like this. Feels like he is self sabotaging.

>>493597842
>t. the guy that keeps raging about vallhalla and yomih
>>
>>493599751
Why? I haven't tried it.
>>
what the fuck is a "Bokube" anyway?
>>
File: output.webm (3.99 MB, 672x378)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB WEBM
let you see beat my time
>>
>>493600108
the atheist gamedevs have been real quiet ever since this dropped
>>
>>493600108
Muslims worship a pedophile.
>>
>>493600142
If you need a further level of disguise, apply a greyscale filter and gradient map
>>
>>493599727
Based I agree with everything you said, yeah my walls need to dynamically darken from the angle I totally forgot that. agree on the house, thx anon.

>>493599930
I have the physics of the slopes worked out with placeholder graphics, and I have a concept of a "virtualZ" Z index working pretty well. So I just need to wire it up with some good looking graphics that I have yet to draw and tinker around with it. But yeah I made the building blocks of my game allow for extensible Area2Ds , so I should be able to do lots of wacky stuff. Just gotta find whats fun.
>>
>>493600472
that's why we have to fight them to the death. Are you even paying attention?
>>
>>493600370
It's pronounced "boh kuu bay" it's japanese, they use a syllablery instead of an alphabet, each character is a syllable instead of a single sound like in english except for like their N sound. Anyway Bokube is a form of japanese glassblowing.
>>
>>493600681
It's never wrong to point it out.
There are many significant inconsistencies with Islam which is why they always lose debates against Christians, but nothing has the same kick as the fact that they worship a pedophile warlord.
Anyway, this is a Christian general and we are all going to make it.
>>
>>493600885
I think a) you should start the video at the thing you want people to see, b) make the character move faster or give a way to increase movement speed and c) get rid of the special effects with dodging/slashing.
>>
>>493600370
>>493600829
for me it's "bah-Cube"
>>
>>493600885
>>493600947
why is it a rabbit?
>>
>>493600885
>this is a Christian general
That explains all the lolidevs
>>
>>493601010
because he likes furry porn, check his twitch
>>
>>493597581
not good at art but this is a massive improvement to what i remember it looking like before the ground was even updated
>>
>>493596676
>>493596728
>>493598006
Thanks green goats.
>>493597053
Pls don't ddos me
>>493599268
Excalidraw for flowchart and diagrams. It's the least obnoxious one I've found and doesn't even require an account as it just saves everything in your browser's localstorage.

For tasks I usually just have a text file with a list of stuff to do
>>
File: 2024-09-07_19:57:21.png (6 KB, 957x279)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>493591013
Added a wait mechanic. It just adds to the hours, minutes, etc without properly incrementing the other values, but it's progress.
>>
>>493601018
No, that's because of anime.
>>
>>493598987
iktf it only now feels like i can actually visually distinct progress on my game. the last few years were just setting up the things necessary for it. now i plop an art asset in, hit a few keys, and the code does the rest. granted i'm terrible at this and took way too long to get to this point. at least the game feels like it's progressing now instead of, from the player side, looking like almost nothing has changed between year 1 and year 3.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.