[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: icon.png (66 KB, 225x225)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
https://www.minetest.net

open source, C++ ,
it's already adept at recreating the magic of early Minecraft. lets get some games going and some new players to try it out.
>>
>>1432848
this shit sucks, it looks and feels so cheap and fake
is this the power of open source?
>>
>>1432855
It's good though, which package are you using?
>>
>still relying on shitsql
>still no multidimensional support
>still extremely limited world size (60k x 60k)
>fucking LUA for modding
>shit support for mobs and weather
At this point I'm confident minetest is just a controlled opposition. Even Minecraft 1.7.10 is better and it was released ten fucking years ago
>>
>>1433183
>60 thousand blocks high and long is extremely limiting
>>
>>1433228
>high
unless there's tons of flying islands with ways to traverse them other than building dirt bridges, or miles and miles of caves like the mines of moria, or gigantic made in abyss pits, I literally do not care about world height. notch's minecrap was able to get by with 256 world height for years
>>
>>1433228
Even if you count the height the volume of a minetest world is still 0.0007% the volume of a Minecraft world.
>>
>>1432848
>not just playing early minecraft
we even have a server for it >>1153028
>>
>>1433258
>256 world height
that's extremely limiting, Minetest was better years ago
>>
>>1433993
cope
>>
>>1433993
>extremely limiting
do you even game bro?
>>
File: betterthanadventure.jpg (559 KB, 1920x1080)
559 KB
559 KB JPG
floating island overseeing a large water bowl, huge mountain ranges with large cavern entrances sprinkled all over, a ship wreck down below, a natural weeping obsidian portal to the nether off to the right. perfect place for a base of operations.
>>
anyone remember the worldedit lua exploit?
>>
File: firefox_rLbePqC3lU.png (24 KB, 958x154)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
It's a game engine, not a game
>>
i've been playing minetest and the worldgen is terrible
really hope they improve it because it works well and modding is fun
>>
>>1445967
What did you not like?
>>
>>1432848
Sure, share a server link or something. It certainly captures the feel of playing singleplayer minecraft for me.
>>1432855
My only complaint is the movement, no matter what mods i use it always feels more rigid and weightless than minecraft.
>>1433228
>>1445967
This is the main reason i kept playing this game and didnt return to Minecraft yet, mountains are massive and caves can go on forever. You can climb five hundred blocks and then turn up your render distance until your game becomes a power point and still not see the sea level. Caves go on forever, and its not like in minecraft where you can just dig up to save yourself, because you are three thousand blocks deep and alreday went down several twenty block deep shafts, they really feel like places man wasnt meant to reach.
>>1433258
There's a few mods that add sky islands and even asteroids with low gravity and no air. You can build a space station on the stratosphere and mine so deep you will need to set up outposts deep ubderground. Reaching the bottom of the world or the top are achievements equal if not greater than reaching its borders, wich you probably wont do either, because 60k blocks is a lot.
>>1433183
Compared to MC most mob mods arent that good either, but the Animalia mod seems promising, and there are others serviceable enough to have a good time anyways. Climate mods, despite being comfy, seem to be mostly atmospheric and not affect gameplay too much, and you can notice their limitations compared with minecraft's rain. You wont be able too see rain if you are under a tree because it wont rain if you are under a roof, or you will notice, with other mod, that rain stops rendering once you are under a certain height because its not supposed to rain underground.
>>
Any cool shaders yet?
>>
Volumetric lighting is coming soon. You could also try Reshade on it.
>>
>>1455343
I need more
>>
any good mods?
>>
is voxelibre a good place to start with minetest? the base "game" maintained by the minetest devs seems like it'd be a snoozefest with no mobs
>>
>>1461624
yeah VoxeLibre is great, you can check out public servers in the client, if I'm not mistaken you will have those games for offline use after trying them out. So you could continue the play the ones you like.
>>
File: d47f2ea811.png (151 KB, 1085x528)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>1460979
These are some of my favorite minetest game mods: Techage, Farming Redo, Apercy's vehicle mods, Witches, Air currents, Ambiance, Jukebox, Fishing Rod

Minetest game has barely any content so you need to mod the shit out of if you want it to resemble the level of gameplay Minecraft has besides block breaking and block placing. To give you an idea of how much modding is needed, i use over a 100 mods on my game. Most of them are tweaks or QoL, but without then the game would not only be a snoozefest, but a clunky one too.
>>
>>1464072
My wife Miku
>>
Thoughts?
>>
What social media is that? They alreday removed minetest game as the default game and now they are changing to a random name. Its gonna make the game more obscure and the dinstinction from minecraft clone even more petty.
>>
>>1469904
looks like matrix (element) to me but i could be wrong
>>
>>1464072
>Minetest game has barely any content so you need to mod the shit out of if you want it to resemble the level of gameplay
Isn't that supposed to be the point?
>>
new name kinda sucks
>>
>>1432848
more of an engine than a game
>>
>>1468645
.....I hate that name. I would prefer if they went ahead and took SkyBlock, since Microflaccid is on some fuck-shit and need put in their place.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.