[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Death4.gif (8 KB, 410x500)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
Have you ever beat him legit?
>>
>>11107060

I cant even get that far in the game
>>
>>11107060
Yes, but it took a lot of practice and I'm not sure I would've been able to do it without the game's infinite continues.
>>
>>11107060
what does legit even mean in this context? without triple-shot holy water? why is that not "legit" suddenly?
>>
>>11107060
Did the devs just not notice how OP holy water is against bosses?
>>
>>11107069
It's legitimately not that hard. Just requires some memorization & patience. I've always spammed holy water the whole game though. Im not a fan of arbitrary restrictions.
>>
>>11107091
They did, Akamatsu considered the challenge to be players preserving their holy water not falling for any candle with a knife nor dying, therefore losing it.
>>
>>11107092

that might be my problem, I just whip everything and barely use my sub.
>>
>>11107060
No because it's bullshit and probably not intended. Pure RNG if you can beat him whip only.
>>
>>11107060
yeah, like in 3 i'd say the axe is better for him than the cross
>>
>>11107143
Run back and forth and whip the sickles as you hit him when he stops. Not that hard.
>>
>>11107060
Yes because the holy water method is legit.
>>
>>11107060
I can beat 1 & 3 without dying. How do you beat Death "legit?"
>>
>>11107135
Getting good at the game is realizing even if you avoid most of the candles you'll still have enough ammo to spam your sub weapon.
>>
>>11107089
With the average intelligence of people here, I assume he means "Leather whip only, no subweapons, take no hits, and do it under 30 seconds, also taking a hit before getting there means you didn't beat the game, and using a controller is cheating."
>>
>>11107089
without emulator rewind making it play like Braid
>>
>>11107317
>he didn't play with a bad RF cable on a shitty 70s TV
You didn't play the game
>>
With rank 3 cross, yeah.
Whip-only nah.
>>
File: 1612365754128.gif (94 KB, 142x231)
94 KB
94 KB GIF
>>11107060
Yeah, got my Holy Water to him and stun locked his ass.
>>
I never use the holy water because I find it ridiculously cheap like you aren't truly experiencing the game. It's still quite easy with the triple cross but it doesn't feel like cheese(and as a bonus it even makes the previous corridor a bit easier!). You can completely ignore the reaper, just keep throwing the crosses and they end up hitting him anyway, your focus should be entirely on the scythes, the ones that don't get cleared by the crosses you dodge and hit with the whip.
Try it, I assure you it's way more fun.
>>
>>11107060

I mainly played as a kid back when the cross was a boomerang, and I thought the boomerang was the best weapon and therefore almost always tried to have it. As a foolish child I did not understand such subtleties as stunlocking and so it never occurred to me to try to use the holy water as not only a damaging weapon but also a motion-constraining weapon. Somehow I got the idea that you were "supposed" to use the axe on the bat, the firebomb on Medusa, the dagger on Frankenstein guy, and the boomerang everywhere else. So I never did anything cheap in the game, except for using holy water on Medusa I guess, and continuing instead of going for a 1CC because I didn't care in the slightest about the concept of 1CC back then. I don't remember ever having any extraordinary trouble with the Death fight. I'm sure it wasn't easy for me, but it wasn't super hard either.

It also never occurred to me to actually try to use the stopwatch. I only ever saw that item as punishment for failing to pay close attention to what items were appearing. This was a time when I could feel fulfilled while repetitively grinding in a JRPG... kids have primitive minds.
>>
>>11107484
I did though, on a big old piece of shit encased in wood with a shitty RF unit, and how the place was set up if you stepped too hard it'd jostle the NES and freeze the game. It was actually a common tactic my brothers would do is stomp on the ground and freeze the NES to fuck with me.

Assholes.
>>
>>11107620
>if you stepped too hard it'd jostle the NES and freeze the game. It was actually a common tactic my brothers would do is stomp on the ground and freeze the NES to fuck with me.
SOVL
>>
>holy water not only rapes the grim reaper but also rapes the corridor of death that leads to him
>lierally just keep jumping over medusa heads and nuking knights with the holy water and you win
>>
>>11107060
Yeah, when I played the game for the first time a few years ago. I made a thread on /vr/ asking for help, people recommended the holy water thing but I couldn't get it to work and instead just beat my head against the wall until I could beat him normally.
>>
>>11107060
Lots of save states to get the rhythm down
>>
>>11107060
Please watch
>>11103193
>>
>>11107060
Only once, I'm never doing that again though.
>>
Last year I attempted to do each individual stage without taking damage (including the boss) Stage 5 took me like 50 tries, mostly getting hit in the corridor before the Reaper, or the Reaper himself. I used a double shot cross to take him down.
>>
>>11107481
braid mentioned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ
>>
>>11108297
Still cant believe this made blowhard cry
>>
>>11107060
Yes, but I'm always sitting on one ass cheek and sweating bullets. I barely survive each time.
>>
>>11107060
Hes piss easy though in Simon's Quest
>>
>>11107565
>It also never occurred to me to actually try to use the stopwatch
It doesn't work. Death is beyond time.
>>
>>11107484
I rubbed my dick around on the cart and kept pressing reset til I had the right memory addresses stored in ram so all I had to do was press start and it played the ending of the game.
>>
>>11107060
many times. Pretty fun fight.
>>
>>11107089
1. Without save states
2. Without pussy-ass cheesing (holy water) so you can actually get to see the boss' moves and learn how to deal with them
>>
>>11109676
>Without pussy-ass cheesing (holy water)
Autism
>>
>>11109676
I know how to deal with them, push Up+B so he never gets to execute them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.