[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: w6.png (433 KB, 929x727)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
Beat Wizardry 6 tonight and just started 7. This is becoming my favorite RPG series. The race/class combinations are a lot of fun and I love when fantasy settings include aliens and sci-fi shit in them.
>>
>>3552727
based as fuck
series was so ahead of its time
>>
Is starting with 6 a good idea? RPGs from before the 90s are generally bit a too arcane for me
>>
>>3553352
6 is from 1990
>>
>>3553376
Yes it appears to be right at the cusp of what I can handle. The sprites only make me eyes bleed about 20% of the time
>>
>>3553415
6 is perfectly skippable if you have a problem with bad graphics. These aren't narrative heavy games, you'll catch on.
>>
>>3553439
It's way more fun to import your party from game to game on one long journey though.
>>
>>3552727
congrats on good taste
>>
>>3553474
It actually isn't in the case of 6-8.
>>
>>3553478
why
>>
>>3553501
Because your party is super strong right off the bat.
>>
>>3553509
Oh, and that wasnt the case in the older games if you transferred?
>>
>>3553474
It really isn't, the best part of RPGs is being weak and getting stronger. The games are all best played with a fresh party, especially 8.
>>
>>3553575
Nah. Having one continuous story with your custom made crew is one of the coolest things about Wizardry.
>>
>>3553654
Nah, playing 3 sets of mercs starting at level 1 and trying to come to terms with an ongoing struggle between vast powers over godlike power is cooler.
>>
>>3552727
Genre concepts were a lot less defined back then. Ultima, I think it was Ultimata, turned the game into Wing Commandeer after a point.
>>
>>3553513
No, 1-3 are deliberately balanced for transferring.
>>
>>3553757
On top of that, 1-3 were meant to be played as X-COM-likes where every companion was expendable, it really was more of a mercenary management sim than an rpg. 5 introduced the "your party are your tabletop characters" type of stuff.
>>
>>3552727
>I love when fantasy settings include aliens and sci-fi shit in them
Same. Wizardry and Ultima are my all time favorite series. Been playing UO Odyssey which really goes ham on this concept.
>>
>>3555246
>UO Odyssey which really goes ham on this concept.
What concept, it's just a crappy version of osrs
>>
>>3552727
Ok.
>>
Is that remaster or remake or whatever worth getting?
I've only messed with 7 a little bit, but it played so much differently than 8.
It's partly that I want to give it a real shot, and partly that I'd kill my firstborn child for a good modern version of Wiz8, so I want to help nudge that into being.
>>
>>3558840
>I've only messed with 7 a little bit, but it played so much differently than 8.
Yeah, Crusaders is actually a well made game.
There are never going to be any remasters of the games past 6 I think, since the franchise regressed.
>>
>>3558840
8 really isn't a wizardry game. Bradley left and it just kind of wound up being a casual wizardry flavored might and magic that dumped all the mechanics and game design the series built up.
>>
>>3558840
I played a little bit of the remaster. The one thing I really didn't like about it was no mouse support. I don't know if they've added it in since then.
>>
>>3555271
What? Do you even know what Odyssey is?
>>
everyone makes fun of Blakemore, but he was on point about Brenda and other folks at sirtech being inspired by demons.
>>
>>3560867
Cleve was proven right about everything.
>>
>>3560867
Remember that he was fired from Sir-Tech for speaking out against a pederast who was given a job to create a failed Wizardy 8 project for being a procurer of teenage runaway boys.
>>
>>3553575
>>3553654
Depends. I've done a full 6-8 run with the same party and transferring from 6 to 7, makes the entire beginning a complete cakewalk since you import with the best equipment from the previous game. Later on it makes you into a glass cannon that kill enemies really quickly, but they can also one shot you. Definitely changes how 7 plays.

7 to 8 barely alters anything since they nerfed character importing hard. You can't transfer most gear (only thing you can import are Diamond Rings, so you can per-emptevely get as many as you want in 6), spells can wind up useless due to how hard they nerfed class changing. Also starting at level 5 doesn't change much since non-fixed enemy encounters scale with your level.
>>
>>3555246
>>3560859
Based fellow Odyssey player. You on the /vm/ server? >>>/vm/1363166
>>
>>3558853
first of all you've written a retarded post
>Bradley left
Praise the Lord he did.
Play Wizards & Warriors if you want to see what would have been shat out were he put in control of making W8
>>
>>3561765
W&W>W8
>>
BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3552727
>I love when fantasy settings include aliens and sci-fi shit in them
This is the absolute worst trope of all time, and for some reason it was all the rage in 80s and 90s.
>>
>>3562318
>trope
Midwit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.