[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: stick_go_brrr.png (600 KB, 860x1193)
600 KB
600 KB PNG
/HEMA/ General - Power of Sticks and Staves Edition

>What is HEMA?
HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts, sometimes also called Historical Fencing.
It's reconstructing how to fight with swords, daggers, polearms, and other weapons based on old European fighting treatises

>What does it look like?
Inside the World of Longsword Fighting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zueF4Mu2uM
Back to the source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBmNVHTmNs
Martin Fabian Sparring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QlbKfX84k

>Where can I find these treatises?
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

>Where can I find HEMA clubs near me?
https://www.hemaalliance.com/club-finders
https://hroarr.com/train/clubs-gear/club-finder/
https://ifhema.com/ifhema-members/

Previous: >>195383
>>
>>207322
What do you guys think of the staff autism of Fandabi Dozi on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5RHeeMpUaXnwhumMKK2T_8suOdG0XKvB
>>
>>207324
First I heard of it. QRD?
>>
>>207326
He does bushcraft and martial arts content largely (but not exclusively) through the lens of the 17th and 18th century Scottish highlands. This has led him to greatly appreciate the staff and to explore the ways it has been used in Scotland, Europe, and the world at large.
>>
>>207324
Sticks rule, every culture knows the simple pleasure of whipping the shit outta someone with a branch.
>>
File: baton_club.png (551 KB, 736x550)
551 KB
551 KB PNG
>>207322
>Where can I find HEMA clubs
Who sells nice fighting grade shillelaghs? Is there anywhere worth looking for staves other than Purpleheart? Might make myself a nice staff eventually but it looks like a bit of a time sink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLRMV5B9Zs&list=PL5RHeeMpUaXnwhumMKK2T_8suOdG0XKvB
>>
File: Pike manuscript.jpg (125 KB, 758x638)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>207322
>Pokes you at greater distance.
Anyone else here do pike?
>>
File: hgpike01.jpg (116 KB, 726x517)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>207442
When does a spear become a pike?
>>
>>207478
I'd say around the 10-14ft mark.
You also can get half-pikes.
>>
i am going once again to the hema place, my fourth class... wish me luck. im afraid to post updates like i was now because i have a feeling some of the others probably lurk this thread, lol.
>>
do any of you have insight on shoes? I am just starting and my club has said 'Adidas Samba' shoes are a good relatively cheap shoe. i see there are subtypes of this show as well, not really sure how that works or what specifically i would want beyond 'samba'

I also heard people talking about some sort of barefoot style shoes, or shoes with basically no sole, or boxing shoes, or wrestling shoes for lunging around. Also heard 'court shoes', i guess thats just basic tennis shoes?

Anyways whatever you guys tell me ill put at 150% weight for my decision because I am retarded and always choose to trust you idiots. I wear running shoes and on my first day practically i rolled my ankle. dont wanna do that again.

Also I am used to using insoles that are slightly angled to counter pigeon toe'dness. I am not sure, maybe I should just remove them and try without them too. ill try that next time, although im pretty sure ive needed these insoles all these years ive used them they might make rolling my ankle even easier than it would normally be. also i can get around in sandals just fine, ill definitely have to experiment with not using the insoles just during class
>>
>>207668
I personally wear lace up flat soled plimsole sport shoes, they do me okay. Enough flex to hop around and be nimble, but they do wear out fast. Other club members wear flat soled boxing shoes and the more extravagant types wear heeled military surplus dress shoes. Boxing shoes tend to be very grippy though - so consider your style of play, if you slip back a lot you don't want that.

My recommendation is some flat soled sports shoes that can lace tightly but don't restrict your ankles. My own experience is that anything restricting ankle movement or that off balances your natural footedness sucks - I always do worse when I'm lazy and wear my slightly heeled trainers to sparring.

Running shoes are meant for running, you want something with as flat a sole as you can get, when you're sparring your brain doesn't have time to compensate for a shoe that has extra stuff between specific parts of your foot and the floor. Get something flat but comfortable is my advice. Someone more experienced than me likely has better advice though.
>>
Finally have all my kit and can finally go ham with sparring. I think my instructor is happy too, since most of the other people have some of the equipment and borrow the rest. One thing I gotta do is train with my mask on because one of the other guys recorded my fights and I'm practically shadowboxing in front of my opponents. My depth perception needs work.
>>
>>207668
ASICS Men's Matflex 7 Wrestling Shoe Sneaker https://a.co/d/3MHnmjZ
>>
>>207690
I use the stick drill, if you have a steel feder. Hang a forearm thick branch as tall as you from a tree at chest height from the middle. Proceed to throw on gloves and mask and fight said stick. Your goal, if you know Meyers cross is pretty much do that to it. If not the goal I hit the top of one side then the bottom of the other while moving in a circle and defending yourself from the swinging log. Try it while hold a sip of water in your mouth to force nose breathing.
>>
>>207696
this looks really nice, im definitely thinking about this shoe now. thank you.

>>207678
good info, thank you
>>
>>207696
Wrestling shoes for HEMA are a dumb idea if you're mostly training on gym floors

Court shoes i.ie any tennis/badminton/squash shoes are a better option
>>
>>207772
Nah they work really well better luck next time thought
>>
File: hq720.jpg (49 KB, 686x386)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>207322
Anyone been playing the Half Sword Playtest?
Ofc its not toally realistic, but I really like how you can apreciate a lot of the sear bio-mechancs of fighting from its all physics based gameplay. really found different levels and types of armored made me aproach situations differently. You also really felt the effect of different kinds of weapons and properties. draw cuts vs full swings, purcussion, different weights, hitting with the shaft vs the head, different ranges, etc. Specially really been liking the half armored bouts, you dont see to much talk about that, often its either focus on unarmored or pull plate.
>>207478
>effectively
when the only other feasible hand weapon that can equal or outrange it is another pike
>practically
a spear so long you can only use it effectively in two hands or while braced against the ground.
>>
File: Indoor.LS.W-4.jpg (27 KB, 348x480)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Just had my first day of Fiore longsword class. The local club practices all sorts of things, but the class is a prerequisite to join. Ordered one of these wood trainers to practice at home as we go along. Wish me luck, bros.
>>
>>208110
>The local club practices all sorts of things, but the class is a prerequisite to join
Pittsburgh?
>>
>>208112
[spoiler]Lincoln, Nebraska[/spoiler] actually
>>
What is your preference.
Stick cut from a tree branch.
or
A log split or cut into wedges and rounded off to a staff?
>>
>>207322
when doing one handed complex gaurd sword like saber, where do you feel like you get hit more? The inside of the outside of the hand?
>>
>>208252
The former for cudgels and wizard staves, the latter for fighting staves and polearms.
>>
File: hfg5266-7b212a-_mimg1.jpg (69 KB, 300x300)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Can I wear the puffy pants if I'm a fiorefag? Will people call me a poser?
>>
>>208412
>Fiorefag in denial
Come to the Meyer camp. Everyday is leg day.
>>
Are there any specific manuals for fighting with a paramerion or can I just substitute with something like a slavic sabre system?
>>
>>208412
>Can I wear the puffy pants
No
>if I'm a fiorefag?
Doesn't matter, just don't wear puffy pants
>Will people call me a poser?
Poser and larper
>>
>>208489
If you're going to LARP as a duelist from centuries past you might as well go all the way with it and wear the puffy pants.
>>
>>208489
This guy got humbled by a larper.
>>
File: 1720793046981.jpg (155 KB, 775x1076)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>207322
>shillelaghs
>>>>>>>implying it's just a stick when they load them with cast lead bowling balls on the cudgel
Those things are yet another microcosmic part of why we call the Irish niggers. Same behavior as little shit kids who pack in rocks and pour water during casual snowball fights then start gloating like they've achieved something. Have to put the bastards down with a Bastard before they get uppity.
>>
>>208612
>no true stickman fallacy
You're just salty that your bitch wrists can't handle carrying a leaded cudgel around all day.
>>
>>208637
Anon, it's easy as shit, the weighted head is what you hold, and it's supported by the stick. It's like carrying a sledgehammer around by the head instead of the haft.
>>
>>208638
>the weighted head is what you hold
Depends on the style, by my limited understanding. Some approach it as you describe, more like singlestick fencing, while other use it as a mace or a very short quarterstaff. There's also the difference between the short stout cudgel variant of the shillelagh which was overtly a weapon and the walking cane variant which became common to circumvent English laws against carrying weapons.
>>
>>208644
By default / carrying it around you moron, of course you're going to swing the weighted part around when you're LARPing as a caveman.
>>
>>208412
The japanese still wear these balloon style pantaloons. They use them in construction, the air trapped within them acts as a safety feature
>>
>>208412
African americans still wear these balloon style pantaloons. They use them in construction, the air trapped within them enables them to hammer time
>>
>>208412
Traceurs still wear these balloon style pantaloons. They use them in parkour, the air trapped within them acts as a safety feature
>>
>>207324
I've been watching him for a while, it looks like he has been talking to some HEMA guys about his style. The video he just put out about his exercise routine seems to be entirely moullinets, which I think is basically akin to baton(?). I really need to get into his more "natural" style of exercise I think, I still do weights and shit but I think his logic on the subject is solid.

What gets me going is seeing him walking around the highlands with a basket hilt. It'd be fun to wander around in the woods with an open-carry sword. Sadly in America the only way to larp historically in the woods is with a musket.
>>
>>207442
What even is there to "doing" pike?
>>
File: 733px-Marozzo_12.png (1.29 MB, 733x800)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
>>207697
>Try it while hold a sip of water in your mouth to force nose breathing.
Now there's a fucking great trick.
>>208412
Speaking of LARP clothes, what's a good 16th century hat? My club does Marozzo so I'm looking for 16th-century Bologna obviously but there's not a lot of great material online about what hats they would've been wearing.

I wanna look like this guy with the shit-eating grin.
>>
>>208775
>Flat cap
>Dyed Ostrich feathers
>maybe a small Peacock feather for good measure
They'd probably sew them seamlessly into the fabric back in the day, but with modern expertise, as much superglue as you can reasonably use.
>>
>>208770
https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/criminal-defense/its-now-legal-to-open-carry-a-sword-in-texas/
>>
>>208775
Corny ass nigga.
>>
>>208771
>poke
>bonk head
>bonk other guys poke
Honestly I have no idea why anyone would bother unless they’re trying to study unit tactics or something
>>
>>208449
>paramerion
Nope, to be honest, I didn't even know what those were to begin with, but byzantine stuff is no-no basically.
>slavic sabre system
Even these don't really exist before the late 18th century... And most are French.
>>
Anyone here do hema in NYC? Moving there in a month from long island and looking for a cool hema spot. There are quite a few, not sure which one is best
>>
>>208891
>>slavic sabre system
>Even these don't really exist before the late 18th century... And most are French
Are you trying to say that there’s no manuals from the time period or are you actually so retarded you’re suggesting Slavic saber fencing didn’t exist prior to 1700?
>>
>>208985
Why the fuck would you move to New York City? It’s a piss reeking hellscape.
>>
How physically taxing is this sport? I've seen some of buhurt and it looks like tough work. I've been really itching to get into something which is a lot of effort physically and there is a nice historical aspects I know I'd enjoy.
>>
>>209006
It’s as taxing as you allow it to be. If you want to be lazy and also bad it’s a really physically easy sport. You’re also never going to win a match. If you sit your guard properly, utilize dynamic footwork, and actually swing your sword around in an effective matter it’s going to take more work.

I will say this though, I’ve done a number of martial arts both striking and grappling. In my experience, the baseline required to be successful in HEMA is the least physically taxing of any of them. I think that may have to do with the talent pool more than the sport itself though. I certainly work harder fighting good fighters compared to bad ones.
>>
>>208990
Re-read the initial question and disengage your own retard button anon. Obviously I meant there's no manual. The first sabre manuals we have from Russia were written by napoleonic officers ironically, following the French tradition.
>>
>>209009
>I think that may have to do with the talent pool more than the sport itself though.
I agree with that. Many people who never do combat sports start with Hema and it shows. I tried putting on a BJJ timer (3 mins fighting and one min off. Reset after hit) and almost all the students were gassed by end of first round.
>>
>>209357
Gotta get them running. I do cardio four times a week to keep myself ready for sparring. Helps with class too, I ingest the lessons much better when I don't get too tired.
>>
>>208647
Not always. There are reasons for having the weight in hand. Theres the obvious reason, like a pommel bash. But the weight increases the control of the swing, the speed, stability during impact, energy transfer.
>>
File: anime-di-bolognese.png (1.3 MB, 733x800)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>208775
Anime di Bolognese
>>
>>207795
>>207696
hello, im the person you originally responded to. I may be a complete novice, but I did buy these shoes you recommended and after 4 classes or so I can finally comment that I really like them. they seem perfect. im guessing tehy degrade quickly, but ill probably always buy this type of shoe for HEMA now. thank you. i think court shoes wouldnt feel this nice
>>
>>209006
i can only speak as someone who has significant experience with gym going (10+ years of bodybuilding and some strength oriented training), and I do treadmill jogging at a 'novice jogger' level (sub 30 min 5K) and i have done no other sports in my life. I thought I was gonna have no problem. It is true that I am the most fit looking person in the club, but I gas out fast. its like, different than just cardio or a combo of cardio and muscle fatigue. breathing through that mesh mask and heating up so fast I cant believe how much longer the others last than me, and they are mostly skinny fat nerds who dont even do cardio at all. but i guess theyve been swinging a metal thing around a long time. anyways i am very happy because it is fully exhausting and i wanted it to be such
>>
>>208686
kek
>>
>>205262
Late ass reply time: it's hard to answer this question properly because it's not clear what you really want. Do you want to get good at historical rapier technique? That might take several years of hard work. Do you want to smoke your local club guys who also don't really know historical rapier technique? Buy the lightest Castille you can and do epee shit with it, that's what most people do. Do you want to smoke your local club guys who also happen to be from one of the half dozen or so clubs that has guys actually competent in historical rapier? Now you're in real trouble. Lucky in a way though, because then you can learn from them and it'll be much faster to acquire authentic technique.

Either way, the first step is not to lose your shit because you're not good after five months. Nobody's good at fencing after five months. And yes, talk to your instructor. How does he not know already what level you're at? Does he not watch the student sparring?
>>
>>208991
Because thats the only place around here to make decent money. Every other city in the tristate area is crime ridden, smells like piss and is full of darkies but at least in nyc there are things to do
>>
Now what in the fuck is this shit?
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Captain_Peloquin
Why did an autistic child teach fencing to frogs?
>>
File: Disdain.jpg (143 KB, 1024x923)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>209824
>he doesn't understand the diagrams
>>
>>209824
Imagine the headway we could make if people just learned how to read and reference the diagrams.
>>
How exactly is larping as a knight a sport?
>>
>>209945
The sport aspect of HEMA is typically fencing plus wrestling.
>>
>>209984
My club is too gay to wrestle
>>
>>209996
Can you at least grapple?
>>
>>210012
Yeah, we actually do a fair bit. Really, what's a sword for except getting past the other guy's sword so you can throw him?
>>
time for me to consider buying some equipment.. my group's big order from before just came in, superior fencing, and they all got their stuff after a 7 month wait.

how much value do you get out of spending a little extra and just getting one of those spes light jackets? the stuff that came in to me looks... well, mostly really dumb looking, and some of it obscenely heavy.

is the absolute most budget equipment going to impact your ability to fence much? has anyone tried the more expensive supfen jackets?
>>
>>210139
also... i noticed most american meets or tournaments only require 350N. but Ive heard in europe 800n is standard? that true? im finding it odd too that it looks like some 800n jackets are actually lighter then some 350N ones. light as possible = more mobility = good right?
>>
>>210139
Supfen is completely honestly dogshit compared to SPES, it's just poorfags and larpknechts telling themselves otherwise so that they can save a few measly dollars by sending their money to Pakistan and waiting for a geological amount of time. Looking aggressively retarded is merely a bonus feature but it's a nerdass martial art and söy gonna söy.
>>
>>210144
ooh. definitely gonna remember this comment. yeah i did some math and it would probably be worth the extra 100 dollars just to receive it in not 7 months
>>
>>210144
Question; does any of the protective equipment get worn out from extended use and if so, how extensive does the use need to be before you replace any of it?

My feeling is that if you can get ten years or a lifetime's fencing out of good equipment, this is a "buy once cry once" hobby and I should just always just make the biggest purchase I'm capable of.
>>
>>210152
>Question; does any of the protective equipment get worn out from extended use and if so, how extensive does the use need to be before you replace any of it?
Usually specific elements go long before the protector as a whole. Velcro and elastics in particular are durability weak points, but if you don't mind unpicking those and sewing on replacements you can get a lot more mileage out of your gear.

However, the way it's been the last ten or fifteen years is that after 4-6 years you'll start hating your jacket or arm guards or whatever it is and will want to buy new ones just because that item has been noticeably superseded by better new gear. Hard to say whether this will continue into the future but in my personal opinion it's no biggie anyway because it leads to a lot of hand-me-down gear you can use as club loaners or sell cheap to new guys in your club. Plus, it's just a consequence of the gear getting better all the time and you learning more and more what makes a good piece of kit to you.
>>
>>210014
That's good, hated SCA fighting and CnT. What do you mean I can't touch them when we go into close measure?
>>
do you guys know about armored mma?
>>
File: 1725708418858862[1].webm (3.52 MB, 866x486)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB WEBM
>>210203
pic related
>>
File: guardia-di-intrare.png (270 KB, 727x493)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>210204
Looks terribly unrefined
>>
>>210211
The more armor, the less IQ needed.
>>
>>210144
so today, they were talking about their order and an interesting fact came up that is not mentioned on the supfen website at all. The new jackets that have just gone out are apparently structured very differently from before.

I got to see and feel them today and basically the interior fabric is completely different, porous, lighter and more breathable. how much more? no idea, i didnt get to try them. but it was an interesting topic today, apparently every type of jacket that was ordered which was most of the basic jackets are now shipping 'lighter, more breathable and have more mobility' according to people at my club. literally no idea why there is no website change, those guys are very... slow. just something interesting. someone else if you are getting an order soon let us know if they are different too
>>
>>210165
Well that pretty much clinches it I think, an extra couple hundred bucks isn't much spread out over 4-6 years. Worth the expense.

And to me also, this is a health question. Your health is the foundation of all other happiness in your life. It's worth spending a bit more to make sure I'm less likely to get seriously injured.
>>
>>210257
Yeah, this calculus might be different for a eurofag but as an amerifat I guarantee there's no elbow cop pricier than the copay for a fucked elbow, and so on. There are probably gloves more expensive than a broken finger (jej), but still not worth it. You've got the right idea. Get good gear and you'll be a happier man.

Some people will advise you to start with heavier everything and reduce as you go, getting more of a feel for what's the right protection level for you, and while there's a lot of sense in that, I can't say I agree without qualification – you *will* end up spending more that way and might end up uncomfortable for years, especially if you live in a hot/humid area, plus if you stick with HEMA, your early years are extremely unlikely to be your hardest-hitting, although almost certainly your most accident prone. TL;DR I don't know your situation, you know that best yourself, but my personal sense is unless you're doing a lot of high-intensity longsword or rapier/smallsword only, an AP Light 350 is the best starter and "standard" jacket. Don't start out with SPES pluderhosen, they're not padded and hard to fit knee cops to. (Also, huge larpfag alert, though I doubt I need to point that out.)

PS: The Officer jacket looks great, but those press studs rust to fuck, at least on older models. Maybe they do stainless now, IDK.
>>
File: slops.jpg (46 KB, 570x380)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>210260
>unless you're doing a lot of high-intensity longsword or rapier/smallsword only,
Can you expand on this? My main form of fencing is going to be sidesword, with maybe a bit of longsword if I can get people to do it with me. Do I need more or less protection if this is my case?
>Don't start out with SPES pluderhosen, they're not padded and hard to fit knee cops to. (Also, huge larpfag alert, though I doubt I need to point that out.)
>not padded
Yikes. Fortunately none of the illustrations from the treatises feature pumpkin pants, I'd be wearing hose and a pair of these if I wanted to do that.

Although speaking of which, would paned slops/breeches be less gay if I added a big codpiece to it? Or would they be more gay?
>>
>>210260
NTA, i am intending to do entirely longsword at a somewhat heavier intensity if i can, should i go for a regular AP jacket, 350n? youtube content creator people seem to think ap light 350n is still fine even if youre doing fairly hard longsword. also worth mentioning that those products are all 'ap light hema jack ''plus''' on the website now, since they apparently.. redesigned them or something awhile ago. now they even have this "light hema jacket next generation 800n" which sounds like an oxymoron.
>>
i just know ill buy some jacket and the next day someone will put out a brand new line that is just advanced in every way.
>>
>>210267
>Can you expand on this?
Sure. Longsword is the hardest-hitting weapon by far and probably responsible for a sizable majority of HEMA-related injuries on its own. As such, if you do a lot of hard-hitting longsword it's reasonable to want a more heavily padded jacket. Conversely a lot of people do rapier in just regular sport fencing gear; if you don't use cuts, wear a hard chest protector and don't fight anything else and/or don't mind having a second set of kit, this is fine. (I hope I don't need to explain why all this applies even more to smallsword.)

If you're doing mainly sidesword, an AP Light should be fine. Again though, I want to stress this is just my personal take and ultimately it really depends on your own tolerances. Nobody's going to shame you for showing up in a regular AP, or if they do you're in a tard club.

>Although speaking of which, would paned slops/breeches be less gay if I added a big codpiece to it? Or would they be more gay?
More gay. If you absolutely have to draw attention to your dick (inherently gay behavior though, mind you), just buy a huge groin protector.

>>210268
>youtube content creator people seem to think ap light 350n is still fine even if youre doing fairly hard longsword
Lots of people do use them for that, but typically those are veteran HEMAists who have already gained a clear idea of their own tolerance for punishment, and who want to max out their mobility and heat shedding for competitiveness. They're not wrong or anything, but they're not necessarily the kind of guys you should be using as models, as a newbie buying his first jacket.

>also worth mentioning that those products are all 'ap light hema jack ''plus''' on the website now
Yeah, that just what the current model is called, don't think you can buy the non-"Plus" AP Light anymore. Like you said, they did a minor update to the design.
>>
>>210353
Thanks for the insight, I'll talk to my club too but I always find 4chan advice at least as helpful as IRL advice, if not more so.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JzhAoaq4uQ
Fights from the other day.
>>
Hello /hema/, tourist here from /k/.
I ordered a Munich from Albion almost two years ago now, and by the estimate they gave me in February it should be ready soon. I bought it as an heirloom and wall hangar, but I am interested in getting some training to at least have some longsword fundamentals since it feels extra stupid to have a sword that I have no idea how to use.

I don't know if I'm going to go as far as to seek out clubs or in person training since I don't think I'll ever be serious about HEMA, but what are some books/videos/other resources you would recommend that would help me create a training regimen I can do at home?

Also, can you recommend a blunt trainer/feder that would be as similar in weight and balance as possible to my Munich that I could use for training to avoid damaging my sword or hurting myself?
>>
>>210514
Honestly nothing replaces in-person training, so if you can find a club or school, even if you don't go for a long time, I'd recommend going for at least a few months to get the basics in person. Once you have the real basics down, and you know some of the lingo and get a feel for how things work, then you could get something out of online resources like in the OP. I think otherwise you'd spend a long time flailing around learning the wrong things.
>>
>>210530
>Honestly nothing replaces in-person training
This. Lots of people seem to think that because HEMA was reconstructed from books, that means you should be able to learn it yourself from a book, but the reconstruction took ages and still isn't finished, and was done by people with considerable martial arts and sport fencing experience.

>>210514, if you want to learn anything at all, go to a club. It's a physical activity and it's meant to be learned in person, from an instructor, that's the authentic historical way of learning it. If you train alone at home you'll end up like a guy learning karate out of a book.
>>
>>210514
>>210530
>>210543
Third to say go in person. I get a lot of fun out of reading the books, but it's just reading a tad ahead in the classes. Most of the books give good explanations, but you need to feel the movements and actually get some resistance from a partner to understand why you're doing certain steps. And the rest of the time you're trying to translate prose and verse. 16th century was a strange time to write instruction manuals.
>>
>>210564
Also if you're a spastic and read the books and then decide go to class to debate the instructors, fuck you. You're the reason training turns into a discussion and kills your cardio gains.
>>
>>210514
>tourist here from /k/.
rip your board
>>
>>210530
>>210543
>>210564
>go to a club
Well, this makes sense. It's the same for shooting so I guess I'm not surprised. Any tips on how to tell if a club is any good? I just want to learn forms and drills and stuff I can use to exercise/practice for general fitness and speed.
>>210573
:( thanks anon - imo it died ~2012 and I've just been living in the ruins.
>>
>>210574
Check flags on the walls. If they aren't doing some kind of sparring to pressure test their drills or forms. If the class stops for more than five minutes to teach a drill. Usual autism tests.
>>
>>210576
Ok last question - how do I find a practice sword that has ergos as close as possible to my sharp?
>>
>>207324
This is actually why I got into HEMA in the first place. I was always interested in it but the videos he's made about the natural human engagement with tool use really pushed me over the edge. I'd always done bare-handed martial arts in the past because that seemed more "practical," but that got me to loosen up about it. I don't think I'll ever have occasion to really need sword fighting skills but it's just good for me to be learning how to use a hand tool, developing the related fitness, and honestly just feeling that simian happiness from swinging a sharp metal lever around.
>>
File: 1711428262380943.png (398 KB, 600x450)
398 KB
398 KB PNG
>>210565
I actually managed to do this my first class even without reading anything just because I had so many questions on fundamentals and theory.
>>
>>210584
Asking questions is fine. Debating, trying to solve the drills, going "Well the book says X" or "Fiore says Y" when you're drilling Meyer. That shit is not ok.
Yes, I'm jaded.
>>
>>210581
First of all, you're from /k/, you know the drill. Pics and timestamp. You could scour the internet to try to find your exact specs, which might cost a lot. Or get a trainer closer or in the ballpark of your sharp and just be careful trying out moves with said sharp.
>>
are gabriels or something like gabriels really a bad idea for a beginner because you'll fuck your hands up? I cant even physcially get into ochs position because of how bulky the heavy lobster loaner gloves are. i feel like its going to give me bad habits in the long run not using ochs literally at all for.. how every long until i buy gloves.

i hear there are mittens too that have way more mobility than those lobsters. help, im retarded and a noob! i think its time i stopped fixating on jackets and maybe started with the gloves. seems important.
>>
also... is there any way to know if one of these big equipment companies might be putting out a new product soon? id love to pick something up when its brand new. do you people follow any sort of pages where they talk about their prototypes or something? i feel like a new generation of equipment might appear suddenly that is much better than everything that exists or something..
>>
>>210642
sorry, should probably mention im referring to somewhat hard longsword sparring.
>>
>>210644
How often are you getting handshot? If you're still green and being sniped then I'd not recommend them.
>>
>>210705
all the time. i watched some tournament footage the other day and saw a lot of people wearing heavy gloves, so i guess that gives me some confidence that they're probably fine, so long as its not those old lobsters. but buy do i wish there was a brand new glove i could salivate over
>>
>>210642
Just do ochs more when sparring you’ll get used to doing it in heavy gloves eventually.

The infinity gauntlet or whatever the next big thing is that claims it will have 5 finger mobility with sufficient protection for longsword sparring is never coming
>>
>>210734
The Sparring Gloves Infinity Gauntlet has existed for ages, it's not good but also not vaporware. The new one is the Nilin Gauntlet, which allegedly also exists, in China, but which is a Chinaman Progauntlet ripoff sold at Progauntlet prices.If it doesn't turn out to be insufficient for longsword, I'll eat my fencing mask.
>>
>>210752
do you get arthritis over time using insufficient gloves or something like that? my club leader apparently has ridiculous arthritis in all his fingers
>>
>>210761
Insufficient gloves leads to breaking fingers. Breaking fingers leads to long term pain.
>>210752
I recall someone in my club seeing an early infinity gauntlet explode during a tournament when it got hit. I don’t trust pro gauntlet either. Get ready to eat your fucking fencing mask because again, a good five finger glove is never coming. Seriously just git gud with Spes heavies.
>>
>>210752
>>210779
I’m sorry I’m drunk I just realized you were talking shit about five finger gloves constantly being shot and not convinced the next one was going to be perfect. I apologize for my foolishness.
>>
>>210780
Kek, it's all good my bro. We've all been there.
>>
>>210792
i havent been there personally, becasue i dont drink like you simian apes. enjoy your govermentally mandated intoxicant cuck!! now, taste my five finger dexterity oberhau!!!! HYAHHH!!! thats right you just got served cucky boy tell all your riends youve been destoryed by me, the one and only boromir pussywind
>>
>>210581
just get a regenyei feder with a disk pommel.
a sigi king or a ensifer might be closer in feel but those are expensive and a standard feder is good enough
>>
I like my Gabriel gauntlets, but my kryptonite is my forearms and elbows so they work for me.
>>
>>210930
pretty pricey for being not as good as a mitten
>>
has anyone here ever used spes ap light 'new generation' 800n jacket? does this thing represent a jacket that could be used for longsword without a plastiron underneath? lord in heaven i just hate these supfen mega heavy jackets that we use, i feel like i am moving in slow motion.
>>
>>210988
>a jacket that could be used for longsword without a *plastron underneath
Doesn't exist. Armor up or get skewered when some penny-pinching poorfag snaps his worn-out sword on your chest.
>>
>>211039
do people almost always use plastirons in tournament type settings? do they limit your mobility a lot? are you saying you always need one even with a very heavy jacket? im starting to think my club has some unusual opinions about those things. is there value in buying an -expensive- plastiron?
>>
Is there a free pdf somewhere for this art of combat 1570 book I am poor and have learned helplessness please here comes the choo choo CHOOCHOO am I a good boy mommy
>>
>>211198
Found this from the Wiktenauer page;
https://schielhau.org/Meyer.title.html
You might have more luck starting from here;
https://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/Joachim_Meyer
but the free ones look to be transcriptions rather than translations. Which tracks; the original manuscript is public domain, the translations are not.
>>
>>209662
Move.
>>
>>207322
Why doesn't Donald McBane get more love? A scan of his treatise is freely available on Google Books but he doesn't even have a Wiktenauer stub article. Is it because he doesn't teach longsword?
>Donald McBane - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_McBane
>The Expert Sword-man's Companion: Or The True Art of Self-defence: With an Account of the Authors Life, and His Transactions During the Wars with France. To which is Annexed, The Art of Gunnerie, Volume 1
https://books.google.com/books?id=0O9WltulBl8C
>The Legendary Highland Swordsman You’ve Never Heard Of- Donald McBane Stories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsiVACwxOQ&list=PL5RHeeMpUaXknIXik5gyRjbkp-2nrK6hm&index=61
>>
>>211332
Well is it really a system or is it a series of accounts of times he kicked ass?
>>
>>211349
Both, from what I've seen skimming it. The first half discusses how to kick ass in general, the second half contains accounts of times he kicked ass in particular.
>>
>>211351
>accounts of times he kicked ass
Also times he had his ass kicked, or kicked his own ass.
>>
>>211332
>why isn’t there more discussion about based beer money thief
I’ve done a little Mcbane in my club. The reality is though that he’s the kind of guy who’s book is more interesting because of his life story than it is his fencing, even though he was by all accounts an excellent fencer. The same can be said about silver or swetnam.
>>
>>211352
Or escaped an asskicking! The Soldier's Leap at Killiecrankie is still a tourist attraction.
>>
>be small club
>no space to rent
>fight in the park to attract people
>mostly teenagers come and check it out
>none of them are 18
We don't want to turn them away but we're in burgerland. Hitting kids is a fast way to get sued.
Thoughts?
>>
>>211446
Release forms.
>>
>>211446
Beat the shit out of those little bastards
>>
What does the rapier tournament scene look like compared to longsword? Smaller, right?
>>
>>211689
Certainly smaller, but plenty of variety. You can do mixed steel, rapier + dagger (gay), rapier + cloak (kino), single rapier. Of course it all really depends on what's around you or how far you're willing to travel for tournies. I find rapier very fun, matches feel more "finessed" than longsword.
>>
>>211689
It's even more full of gay spoffs wanting to turn it into Olympic epee and seething at the mere possibility of rules that might oblige historical fencing in their historical fencing tournament. If you want to fight against hypercompetitive fucktards who are somehow nevertheless incapable of reaching D rank in epee it's probably great. If you like rapier you're kind of outta luck though.
>>
>>211743
>>211767
The contrast between these posts are wild
>>
>>211779
My guess is Other Anon is a longsword primary so he doesn't see the problems or doesn't perceive them the same way, since he's "just doing rapier for fun" in the sense of being a deliberate casual. Nothing wrong with that, but he just won't have the same experiences.
>>
>>211767
>nooooo you’re doing it wrong!
>I didn’t lose because I’m worse at fencing I only lost because you’re not doing it right!
>>
>>211798
See what I mean? Complete faggotry at any suggestion that historical fencing tournaments might benefit from historical fencing.
>>
>>211801
The real faggotry here is you crying about how rapier fencers are “hypercompetitive” as if that’s a bad thing.
>but muh real historical fencing
Cut them open without getting yourself cut open, that is the goal of fencing.
>>
its been 2 months and i suck really, really bad, fresh new people off the street are better than me. all i understand is how to throw out extremely obvious, telegraphed oberhaus and unterhaus, middlehau, someone was trying to describe to me the idea of throwing a 'high' oberhau or a 'low' oberhau in order to have more differentiation, does that make any sense? literally all that was explained to me was to think of sort of meier square diagram on the person and to attack the lower openings with unterhaus and the higher openings with oberhaus.

also i and several of the others think that i ahve some mental block that is really holding me back, its a combo of performance anxiety, feeling like i am inconveniencing my sparring partners (because i am) since they are all years and years in to the sport, and i cant seem to actually follow through on strikes because i think i am afraid of hitting people, i slow down drastically before impact. everyone says i suck way more than i aught to
>>
>>208775
>what's a good 16th century hat? My club does Marozzo so I'm looking for 16th-century Bologna obviously but there's not a lot of great material online about what hats they would've been wearing.
Tons of these available on Etsy, https://www.etsy.com/listing/1281037584/historical-reenactment-headdress-blue for example. "Tudor cap" or "Tudor bonnet" would be the typical English-language search terms.

>>211834
Two months is way too fuckin' early for you to start worrying about your performance levels. Just keep your nose to the grindstone.
>>
>>211834
>feeling like i am inconveniencing my sparring partners (because i am) since they are all years and years in to the sport
You're a better practice partner than an inert pell, which is what they'd be using without noobs to smack around.
>and i cant seem to actually follow through on strikes because i think i am afraid of hitting people
Someone should let you hit them to get your hit calibration down. It's good that you don't want to injure people but you're cheating your partner by not hitting them properly and that safety kit is there for a reason.
>>
>>211834
See>>211848
How often are classes? Unless this is some special fencing club that meets every day, two months of practice doesn't mean you're supposed to be good at fencing. Stop beating yourself up.
>>211859
Listen to this guy too.
>>
>>211867
>>211859
>>211848
yeah. thanks. it just makes me sad because for some reason a lot of these guys day 1 were expecting me to just take off instantly. also they did have me do a hit calibration thing during the first week but im almost certain now that that was bs, everyone in the club swings way harder than they told me to swing initially. couldnt sleep last night i was so concerned about those guys being so clearly dissapointed in me the other day. im fine so long as i can feel like im on the curve im supposed to be
>>
>>211869
Completely different anon here, don’t worry about it so much whether you think you’re disappointing anyone. Martial arts is a long journey, not something you master in a couple months.

Here’s a couple practical suggestions I can give you for improving your progress. Don’t worry about “winning” the bouts you do while sparring and start setting specific goals for yourself and trying to hit those. For example, one I found that really helped me was forcing myself not to retreat from an engagement and instead exchanging multiple cuts with my opponent. Now obviously there are times you SHOULD disengage, but doing this will help you build confidence and competence in your ability to stand and bang it out. Additionally, if you only feel competent throwing single over cuts and under cuts I have a newb killer combo for you. Feint an over cut and then pull back to under cut from the opposite corner. Feint and under cut then pull back to over cut from the opposite corner. This is an incredibly simple combo but works really really really well at the beginner level.
>>
>>211875
huh, i hope i can remember to try that, i think fixating on some simple 'sequence' could be helpful for me. sounds good
>>
>>211828
>Cut them open without getting yourself cut open
But Olympic style fencing which the sweats push for in even historical fencing clubs is terrible at that aspect.
>I swung my arm around the back of my head like a spasming retard and tapped you on the skull with the very tip with terrible leverage that would do little more than a shallow cut but since it happened 1 second before you delivered a solid and fatal thrust to my gut in response I am the victor and thus the superior swordmaster
I've seen the Olympic matches. They're impressive in terms of speed and agility, definitely more so than most historical fencer, but the combat application is on the same level as Tai Chi or Kendo: barely any. The emphasis is on tapping your opponent before they tap you, not caring about if it's a strike that could be actually debilitating or fatal to the opponent were it conducted at full force or with a live blade.
>>
>>207322
alright nerds, get me some two handed sword teachings to study
>>
File: 5qs2nt.png (412 KB, 729x541)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>>211958
Italian or German?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.