[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 29 (1).jpg (164 KB, 318x500)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Alright, it is Wednesday and I am gonna post the twenty-ninth volume of Ranma 1/2. Feel free to react or comment on any panel, though I appreciate if image replies are not used during the dump. Feel free to discuss anything Ranma 1/2 related after the dump.

Previous thread: >>269064070

Despite the OP image, I am using the latest Viz localization which does not feature this cover exactly as it is a 2-in-1 edition. Due to image limits, I will be dumping chapters by original volume. Be aware that some of the larger images have been edited to be lower quality due to image size limits.

In addition, I will be dumping one chapter of the short series MOON, The Great Pet King that released around this time. These are fanscans since the story was only recently collected again for publication. Today, I will be dumping the third chapter of this.
>>
BASEDBASEDBASED
>>
Starting off with the art for the 2-in-1 edition. This one is based on the art of the 30th tankobon.
>>
Original title was 恐怖の鳳凰剣 which DeepL translated as "Phoenix Sword of Fear", but I think this is better, honestly. Also, this was Shonen Sunday's 2000th issue apparently. I'll post the cover later. Detective Conan apparently missed this milestone and premiered around five issues after this, which i find kind of funny.

November 24th, 1993. Author's note: "I saw a preview of Ranma OVA volume 3. It will be released in February of next year, but please look forward to it."
>>
>>269161842
Furinkan says the following:

"[The egg] has a kanji on it (光/hikari) which means "light". This is humorous because there is a brand of Japanese eggs called "Hikari" that have this same brand stamped on them."

>>269161718
Good evening.
>>
>>269161925
Another curio shop with some great deals. Though admittedly, that is a lot of bills.
>>
>>269161955
Nest included.
>>
>>269162051
Right where it belongs.
>>
>>269162100
Welcome to the world.
>>
>>269162163
Someone mentioned the Chinese "fenghuang" last thread because Happosai's discussion of "a beast half-man, half-woman" sounded a bit like it. I wasn't sure about it since while the fenghuang is a merging of male and female creatures, the result is considered female. This chapter's phoenix is called 鳳凰 or Houou or Hoo which is the Japanese version of the same creature. It might've been on Takahashi's brain.
>>
>>269162259
Such skill.
>>
>>269162294
No meteor kick this time.
>>
>>269162325
Pun probably didn't work in English, so VIZ had to change it up. It is a bit of a stretch, but that's how it goes when there's a visual component to the pun and they don't have as much freedom.
>>
>>269162428
While this may not be a reference to the Kyoko's apron since after all, chicks do peep and that's more or less what "piyo piyo" means, I am pretty sure this is intended to be a throwback to it.
>>
>>269162493
I like Akane's pose and facial expression here. Her skirt overalls with the music stuff is kind of neat too (though I'd be embarrassed wearing something that says "fine" on my butt).
>>
>>269162528
You'd think they'd get like a tarp to stand on when they pour the water over themselves.
>>
>>269162576
Packs a wallop.
>>
>>269162608
As mentioned, these creatures are traditionally considered female. And it does have the little cutesy feather bow.
>>
>>269162678
End of chapter! This one would be fun to see in animation just to hear all the stupid bird sounds.
>>
Ranma looking handsome.

December 1st, 1993. Author's note: "Recently, I'm obsessed with old enka. Cool Five, Hibari Misora .... It's still good." She mentioned listening to Cool Five while working before.
>>
>>269162743
Apparently, this was adapted to animation before, somehow the third Ranma 1/2 movie is based on this story. I guess I can go listen to the goofy bird sounds right now. GLEP GLEEP!
>>
>>269162784
Not an ideal sleeping situation.
>>
>>269162842
I guess he hid away somewhere? The bird can emit its own light so...
>>
>>269162862
>>
>>269162876
Guess he was out for a morning walk.
>>
>>269162892
The depiction of the phoenix on the bag resembles certain Japanese kamon (ie. family crests).
>>
>>269163030
I assume this is named after Miracle-Gro, a type of fertilizer in English that was invented in 1951. I doubt the Japanese text included this reference, it is just a cheesy little gag by VIZ. It is possible it was referencing some other brand.
>>
>>269163144
>>
>>269163166
WOG WROG! It seems that either Rumiko or VIZ had a lot of fun creating a variety of sounds for her to make.
>>
>>269163191
A pseudo-recap for people just picking this chapter up.
>>
>>269163214
Nice shooting.
>>
>>269163261
Being blown away in perfect sync. Also, I like how Ranma says that but he's still flinging multiples.
>>
>>269163284
>>
>>269163307
I don't really need to include a note since they say the whole term and you can just google it, but yeah, the dogu are clay figures from prehistoric Japan. The Shakouki ones are the ones that are "goggle-eyed", since they resemble Inuit snow goggles.
>>
>>269163456
End of chapter! Yup, typical. Also, I have no idea how this was made into a movie. I'm sure there were some significant changes.
>>
>>269161740
why so pretty
>>
A qipao or cheongsam is an incredibly pretty dress.

December 8th, 1993. Author's notes:

"Q: We will take questions from the readers starting this issue! Looking back on 1993, what was the most lucky thing that happened to you this year?
A: I was able to find a barn in my neighborhood I'd heard so much about!
Bonus Quote: I wrote the first and second parts of the 7th and 8th issues to be released in January. Please look forward to it."
>>
>>269163543
Yakusai appears to mean "calamity". Also, just to mention it again, amazon is a bit of a loose localization of 女傑 which means "brave woman" or "heroine" or any woman who is the best at something.
>>
>>269163737
How mean.
>>
>>269163768
The title of the newspaper appears to be 周女傑族月報 which I managed to machine translate into Heroine Tribe Monthly Report. And the bike gag still gets me.
>>
>>269163847
I love the candid shot of Ranma there and the goofy borders. Anyway, I can not translate all this text for obvious reasons but I did take a glance through Google Lens and the top part says "Travel Report for Heroines" (Google Lens said Female Celebrities but that's what they translate 女傑 to), the captions on the photos say "Groom Ranma" and "Bride Shampoo", the part with the Cat Cafe photo says "Happy New Home" and the rest of the article is just random other actual articles. All of it is in Chinese according to Google, though I don't know what system. It seems like for all the stuff that isn't plot relevant, Rumiko just took actual Chinese news articles so they have some random news reports about war, sentencings, etc.
>>
>>269164102
Oh, I forgot to mention the henohenomoheji reaction last page. Well, you guys know what that is by now.
>>
>>269164140
Good thing no one changes their hairstyle in ten years, otherwise we wouldn't be able to connect her with the flashback we had earlier.
>>
>>269164172
Zai jian is a semi formal way of saying good bye in Chinese. Obviously. It apparently is like "See you again".
>>
>>269164203
Big coat.
>>
>>269164222
Mandrakes are the root of a certain plant with some mythology behind it, as their roots resemble human figures. Depictions of it are found in medieval European books, hence the art style of that final panel. The legend described here is basically accurate to the myth.
>>
>>269164382
The verbal tic of "please" seems pretty obvious now. Apparently, the phrase in Japanese was "douzo", ie. "if you please". I don't know if it is a Chinese stereotype or just a personal quirk.
>>
>>269164460
I'm sure this donk panel rubs some people the wrong way, but I hope you take it as seriously as Rumiko did when she drew it.
>>
>>269164487
Probably gonna lead to some bad customer reviews.
>>
>>269164544
Like I get the Rumic pose is to make it silly, but you told us this kills people, Rumiko. I'm just gonna assume something cures them off panel.
>>
>>269164591
The reveal!
>>
>>269164611
End of chapter! In regards to the chest plates, Pink apparently has the kanji for poison while Link has the kanji for medicine, as appropriate. All the sources I found don't ascribe any meaning to their names other than them rhyming.
>>
December 22nd, 1993. Author's note:

"Q: What are your hopes for 1994?
A: I hope this year will be peaceful and free from disasters and natural calamities."
>>
>>269164698
Oh, I didn't comment on the return of Shampoo's chui or maces. Well, they return.
>>
>>269164812
Seems a bit overkill to make a ten year revenge plot over this, but they're nutter butters so whatever.
>>
>>269164835
>>
>>269164849
Rumiko clearly had fun with their martial arts at least.
>>
>>269164885
>>
>>269164927
Oh no! What a mess.
>>
>>269164943
Heh, the first two panels. Also, I guess the characters are asking the same questions as me. It has been a while since I read this.
>>
>>269165008
I mean, he did have Shampoo target him before, but I guess that just resolved itself. Kind of.
>>
>>269165033
That's a lot of flowers. I guess they filled it with dirt too?
>>
>>269165074
Least the towel is secure.
>>
>>269165095
Akane seems to be drawn particularly cutesy in that third panel.
>>
>>269165110
Unstoppable.
>>
>>269165136
>>
>>269165156
>>
>>269165172
End of chapter! Oh no!
>>
I normally don't mention the other series Furinkan mentions as trivia, but I feel like this one is big enough to warrant it. Detective Conan debuted alongside this chapter with Shinichi getting a corner of the cover. Apparently, Detective Conan is the longest running series in Shonen Sunday.

The kanji on the shield is 破, according to google lens. As to what it means in this context, I'm not sure. Maybe the story will explain it.

January 5th, 1994. Author's notes:

"Q: Please tell me the person you'd like to meet the most this year!
A: I'd like to meet Marilyn Monroe. But that's impossible."
>>
>>269165298
I guess 破 means crush here. It translated to break, split, destroy, get rid of, broken, damaged, the middle of a song, expose, etc. etc. I think the meaning "crush" comes from the Chinese usage.
>>
>>269165375
Just a mean green mother from outer space.
>>
>>269165407
>>
>>269165469
They are presumably flipping in that tiny panel, but I can't help but see chibi versions bowing.
>>
>>269165511
The damage is not really isolated.
>>
>>269165560
>>
>>269165624
I am also not a fan of inhaling poison, poison slicing sword. I don't know if this is based on a pun or something. Maybe "cut through" as in "expose" is what VIZ is trying to go for here?
>>
>>269165668
The shield at least seems effective.
>>
>>269161925
In the animated adaptation of this story arc, which I personally feel is an OAV but is considered the third movie, the vendor is redesigned to resemble (or is, I don't recall) Toramasa Koyabakawa, the creepy manager of the secondary school store and one of the only recurring anime original characters.

>>269162702
In the English dub it basically caws like a crow. It's this really deep, harsh "Awk! Awak!" sort of noise.

>>269163030
>>269163144
The film, to pad out the runtime, creates a recipe that needs to be followed to make the food rather than the food itself. Naturally, Akane volunteers, which suggests that the phoenix goes mad and attacks her to kick off the final battle because it did NOT appreciate being forcefed Akane's supposed food. Ukyo and Shampoo also get added to make the food for real.

>>269163490
Mostly it just draws things out. The phoenix now imprints on a different target to attack each day, they have to actually cook the phoenix-grow, and there's a big showdown before it finally gets big enough to leave. It literally grows to the size of a small blimp and tears up half the town before they get rid of it. It's stupid, but fun, and honestly it preserves the spirit of the arc.

>>269164102
People have always hated on Shampoo by arguing she would drag Ranma back to China and force him to live in the Amazon Village. This arc basically proves that if Ranma *did* accept her hand in marriage, she'd be happy to live in Japan if he wanted.

>>269164487
We get it, OP, you're an Akane fan, but Akane's overreactions are always going to risk rubbing people the wrong way in a way that Lum's reactions to Ataru literally hitting on other girls in front of her didn't.

>>269164835
You know, the more times I re-read this arc, the more Pink & Link feel like Shampoo's equivalent to Ryoga, kind of like how Mousse is her equivalent to Tatewaki Kuno.
>>
>>269162528
In the OVA, Kuno is straightup grabbing her boob.
>>
>>269165684
I've never actually seen these spiked flower holders before I read Urusei Yatsura. They do seem to be somewhat popular for flower arranging.

>>269165691
Yeah, sorry to harp on about it. Those panels are just so clearly throw away slapstick sometimes. Also, nice to see someone reading, it has been really quiet today. And that's cool about the OVA or movie! I was worried they'd made it too serious, since the whole anticlimax is a big part of the appeal of the little storyline.
>>
>>269165830
Link seems more upset while Pink seems more angry, which tracks.
>>
>>269165830
>>269165910
Shampoo completely hijacking the kidnapping plot is always hilarious.
>>
>>269165910
Kind of fun to see Ranma with a sword and shield.

>>269165782
Hah, I feel Kuno would need at least some sort of excuse for that level of harassment. Not a good excuse, mind you, but a bit more.
>>
>>269165987
The plan is coming along.
>>
>>269166022
Okay, given that the kanji on the shield is also used for "worn out" or "damaged" in addition to "crush", I feel like both the sword and shield were designed to be puns based on whatever kanji Rumiko used. Of course, I have no idea what kanji they used for the sword.
>>
>>269166091
Man, if VIZ left all the "datcha" in the Urusei Yatsura translation, would I get annoyed by Lum?
>>
>>269166116
End of chapter! Plan not coming along! Also, I can see why the sword didn't want to fight. Good night, sweet prince.
>>
Not much to say there. The cover reminds me of the Looney Tunes circle. Detective Conan got the main image on the cover for this one and he's in kid mode. I would say I'll post it, but this isn't a Detective Conan storytime.

January 12th, 1994. Author's note:

"Q: What hobby are you most passionate about right now?
A: Going to see plays in the theater. I want to go once a month!"
>>
>>269166248
Very versatile.
>>
>>269165008
Y'know, that little stunt of Ranma's with the flowers of womanhood kind of imply he likes Akane more for her body than her personality...

>>269165008
Honestly, with how bad Shampoo's Japanese is often shown to be, and how the idiot twins were introduced in this arc, it wouldn't surprise me if *they* attacked *her* on each meeting, and that's why Shampoo would beat them up. Not to mention, they are the ones who started this whole feud in the first place.

>>269165136
How long *has* it been since Shampoo did her "make my own door" routine, anyway?

>>269165156
It is nice to see that Shampoo is willing to stand up for Ranma if she feels he needs her help.

>>269165684
The surprise return of Shampoo! Evidently, she is not as easy a victim as they thought, which is nice to see.

>>269165830
To be honest, I'd never heard of such flower-holding devices before I'd read this arc.

>>269165830
No, the ending is very faithful. Aside from Kasumi sweetly waving to the phoenix as it flies away and cheerfully saying "bye-bye, birdie!" whilst ignoring that "birdie" literally wrecked half the town.

>>269165910
And here we see the return of Shampoo's white knight fetish, which last was a pivotal role back in the new year bakeneko storyline. And Ranma clearly *knows* what's she's up to, which is just hilarious.

>>269165969
So true.

>>269165987
Whilst Ranma is iconic as a bare-hands fighter, he actually is genuinely skilled with pretty much any weapon he cares to use, so it's a shame we get to see that side of him so rarely.

>>269166022
Does anyone else feel Shampoo's thinking is based on this weird mixture of xianxia and old romance novels?
>>
>>269166265
I feel like they could lay siege on most cities and do pretty okay until the tanks and fighter jets come in.

>>269166268
I read it as improving her homemaking skills, honestly. (And of course, making her non-combative) As far as the story of the twins and Shampoo attacking them from then on out, I think Shampoo's sweatdrop at the "You just HEARD Shampoo is VICTIM!" makes it clear what the idea was. Though presumably the twins did fight back however they could.
>>
>>269166398
Like this was in a literal flash. This would be a devastating wartime weapon. Then again, I guess it is a lot weaker than just an actual bomb.
>>
>>269166426
Shampoo still romanticizing the situation.
>>
>>269166459
I want to add that her romanticizing it is a great gag, I'm not complaining. Also, we can see Pink just being sadistic while Link was feeling vindictive. I like these touches, since in most ways, them being two different characters is kind of more thematic than narratively meaningful.
>>
>>269166511
I assume Cologne is saving her own attempt at rescuing her great granddaughter as a last resort or something. Maybe Mousse is next. She'll dig something out for him.
>>
>>269166588
Unfortunately, Shampoo's efforts seem to be in vain.
>>
>>269166616
I guess a positive way to look at Shampoo's behavior here would be "proactive".
>>
>>269166091
>>269166116
>>269166156
I'm with you; if there's gags behind the sword and the shield, I don't personally get them. I guess the poison-absorbing shield being broken by medicine kind of makes sense, but why is the poison-slicing sword literally only good for one attack?

Also, yes, considering that Ranma 1/2 got translated before Urusei Yatsura, I do suspect that the negative reaction to the constant Please-s from the twins inspired the decision to drop Lum's "datcha's".

>>269166265
The fun thing is, if I'm not completely forgetting my botany classes of near-twenty years ago, there really are flowers that do that. Still incredibly convenient, but Takahashi didn't just pull that out of her sleeve.

>>269166398
Honestly, I can easily see Ranma 1/2 as being a world where, like in Baki the Grappler, martial artists basically can run the place because normals just can't stop them.

And I find it hard to sympathize with the twins because they're the ones who started the feud, and they're the ones who decided to come to Japan to pursue it.

>>269166459
>>269166511
Shampoo's white knight fetish is honestly kind of cute. Plus, with how little attention Ranma pays her unless she's messing with him, you can kind of see why she'd be willing *to* mess with him so much, and to take advantage of moments like this.

Also, yes, the efforts to give Pink and Link distinct characterizations is subtle, but it really works to make them feel more individualistic. Pink in particular feels faithful to what our flashback to her ten years ago established: she's a cruel, self-centered trouble-making asshole.

Shame Ling-Ling and Lung-Lung weren't given that much effort... them "subtly" crushing on Ranma but also wanting Shampoo to be happy with him was kind of funny-cute, though.
>>
>>269166650
I wonder why these antidotes are these gigantic balls. Well, regardless, I feel Cologne should've probably given Ranma the fan rather than the sword. Seems a bit more effective.
>>
>>269166678
I can actually understand why the staff was kept in the vault until the miasma forest though. It probably would not be the most strategic on a giant plant pillar.

>>269166666
I've heard people claim that Pink and Link were "inspired by" or "ripping off" Ling-Ling and Lung-Lung from the anime. I will admit, I don't know anything about them besides the obvious but I feel like themed Chinese Warrior twins is kind of a known cliche and idea so it showing up independently is completely reasonable.
>>
>>269166801
You can probably tell where this is going.
>>
>>269166833
Yup, yup.
>>
>>269166867
Hah, I like how the staff seems sick of it. Also, Shampoo's smug expression.
>>
>>269166891
Wok wok.
>>
It's nice that I can forget about this for like 3 months and still come back and enjoy it. I'm glad it's not really serialized.
>>
>>269166916
End of chapter! Pink proving resourceful.
>>
The title 最後の秘薬 appears to be "The Last Secret Medicine", but I guess that's what "Ultimate" can mean.

Oh, there was another Mermaid Saga chapter in this one. I thought Mermaid Saga was in a different magazine than this, but I guess not.

January 19th, 1994. Author's note:
"Q: Perhaps you don't still get New Year's presents, but what's the best thing you've gotten recently?
A: I made an impulse buy and got a toaster oven. It's more convenient than a range stove.
Bonus Question: Responding to a letter asking to see more of Akane, she stated, "after this we'll see a lot more of Akane. I hope you look forward to it.""
>>
>>269166588
Honestly, there are times you really do have to wonder if Cologne is a little senile, because if she really wanted to help Shampoo catch Ranma, there is *so* much more that she could be doing.

>>269166616
Well, you certainly can't accuse Shampoo of not knowing what she wants!

>>269166650
Okay, yeah, I like Shampoo, but yes, she is definitely grabbing the idiot ball good and hard in this page. Any Chinese Amazon should know the correct thing to do in this situation is escape, *then* proceed with the "so happy to be alive!" sex. :P

>>269166678
Definitely much more useful magical trinkets than she gave Ranma. I suppose you could argue that she believed Ranma was good enough he only needed the minimalistic help of the shield and sword, and/or that she underestimated how much of a threat that the twins posed the first time, and/or she thinks Akane is so much less skilled than Ranma that she needs way more magical help...

As for the giant antidote balls, I have no idea. A gag on traditional Japanese herbal medicine pastilles, maybe?

>>269166801
Basically, the anime has two characters who really seem a lot like later manga character; Anna Brown, a farmer's girl loosely similar to Akari Unryu, and Ling-Ling/Lung-Lung; twin preteen Chinese Amazons who are basically Shampoo's little sisters. I don't know when their anime episodes aired vs. Akari and Pink/Link's chapters were published, but I think there's some arguments that the anime characters came first and so might have inspired their manga counterparts.

Okay, there's also the very Ukyo-like Kaori Daikoku, but I'm pretty sure that Ukyo's chapters aired before Kaori's episode.

>>269166833
I mean, it IS a jerk move on Shampoo's part, but frankly I find it easier to root for a girl who unabashedly wants Ranma over a girl who acts like she wants nothing to do with Ranma at least 70% of the time.
>>
>>269167008
Kind of a ghastly image with the vines splitting open. I half wonder if Rumiko thought to have them do this after she had already drawn them without mouths last chapter.

>>269167037
Well, these chapters definitely debuted after the anime was already done and over. We're in OVA and movies only territory now.
>>
>>269162428
Imprinting, a phoenix... very interesting.
>>
>>269167152
Yup, Pink planted it on Shampoo as well.
>>
>>269167166
These two are crazy even for Ranma 1/2's world.
>>
>>269167213
The amulet's one use is as you might expect.
>>
>>269167238
Hm, different choice of final killing weapon between the two. I assume the one opposite the dagger is some sort of scalpel or apothecary knife? This is just based on themes, I have no idea what it is.

Oh, I googled "apothecary knife" and the pictures are of that. Though they usually are called "apothecary spatula and blade". Cool. Now I know.
>>
>>269167339
Gotta deliver the papers.
>>
>>269167354
I guess that's true for most plants, yeah. It seems a bit convenient, but they do do that, don't they?
>>
>>269167374
You'd think their snake plant could've just killed the person it bit, but I guess this was their idea of cruel mercy.
>>
>>269167394
Oh wow, around the neck. That is terrifying.
>>
>>269167413
Bad timing.
>>
>>269167442
Ranma's a little quick there (though it is just setup for a gag). Also, they're pretty quick to suicide pact.
>>
>>269167482
Practically toon logic, honestly, but whatever, it is a magical item interacting with essentially magical plants.
>>
>>269167518
That easy, boys.
>>
>>269166891
See, Akane, if you're smart enough to use the fan on Shampoo, who IS the guilty party here, why not also focus the staff on her instead? You have the right to be mad, but aim at the actual guilty person!

>>269166947
Pink is indeed an asshole, but not an idiot.

>>269167152
It's a very effectively creepy instance, and it gives them a distinct snake-like feel, which adds to their fantastical effect.

>>269167166
Again; Pink is crazy, not stupid.

>>269167213
Yep. It really says something about the kind of world Ranma 1/2 is that Pink and Link have to be *this* nuts to get called out for *being* nuts.

>>269167238
I think there's actually a similar idea behind such talismans in real Japanese mythology. I think a lot of ofuda and onmyoji protective talismans were similarly presented as being burned up once their powers were invoked, but I'm no expert. Heck, in Mao, the titular character actually collects the ashes of his expended protective talismans and uses them as an exorcism tool in their own right.

>>269167339
We obviously know Takahashi wasn't going to kill off Shampoo, but I wonder how much of a shock this page was to readers when this chapter first got published.

>>269167354
Shampoo being able to sleep-fight is a classic bit of xiangxia/wuxia skill, and it makes sense given that, underneath the cutesy bad language and love-smitten bimbo act, she's always been the most "serious" of the girls when it comes to her martial arts abilities.

>>269167374
And of course we needed something to amp up the drama!

>>269167394
It's a plan that certainly backfired on them.

>>269167413
Seriously, Shampoo has the potential to be absolutely *terrifying* if you stop and think about it. If this series was less "episodic slapstick comedy" and more "action", Shampoo would probably be a genuinely scary girl. It's a good thing for Ranma she wants him in her wedding bed and not a grave.
>>
>>269167537
Getting to the denouement. I got confused and thought this was an arc that shows up later. But it seems things are a-okay.
>>
>>269167618
End of chapter! Seems Ranma never filled Akane in on the details, maybe to save face. Anyway, the newspaper says exactly what Shampoo says it does, but the teeny text is as before, just random Chinese article text.
>>
>>269163191
This is truly an advanced level of delusion at this point.
>>
>>269163191
>>269167775
The fact he find nothing odd with the Pigtailed Girl suddenly replacing Ranma right in front of his eyes is amazing.
>>
I assumed this title was localized, but no, it was that in Japanese too. I'm sure someone will say "LUM! LUM!" but it does seem that Rumiko deliberately didn't put Ranma in Lum's bikini. Plus, she gave him a club which is very oni, but Lum almost never used. She might've NEVER used it, actually. I feel even during the setsubun chapters, she always relied on her electricity. Even in the first chapter where she didn't have electricity, she just bit and clawed.

Anyway, the box is full of beans. The box is technically a masu, a type of box that can be used as an auspicious sake cup. Anyway, the bean thing is a setsubun tradition where you throw beans at ogres to let fortune in. I don't actually know much about the history and don't feel like posting it all there. I think the bean thing may have been a combination of a homonym and myth as beans can be read as "devil's eye". Anyway, I've paraphrased enough Wikipedia and blogs. Look it up if you're interested.

January 26th, 1993. (Yes, right around Setsubun) Author's notes:

"Q: When you're feeling tired, what do you do for a change of pace?
A: I call a friend on the phone or go and see a play.
Bonus Question: Takahashi also said this, as the issue featured the second part of "The Last Face"... "I spent my entire New Year's break working. I hope you'll give it a read.""

The Last Face is currently the last chapter of Mermaid Saga. Rumiko Takahashi considers the series unfinished. I wonder if she'll ever finish it. I still consider it very good as a series and will be dumping it after Ranma 1/2 since it clearly comes before Inuyasha. One-Pound Gospel technically ended before Inuyasha ended too, so I guess I might be dumping that before Inuyasha too.
>>
>>269162678
so kuno did not hear any of that?
>>
>>269168099
His delusions are filtering out any evidence that the Ranmas are the same person, including seeing the transformation himself.
>>
>>269168058
Hm, the depiction has the spiral thing on them again. I never did find out what specific symbol it was. I think the commenter was correct that it is just one of many sun spiral things.

As far as "demon", I don't know if it was "ma", "yokai" or "oni".

>>269167775
>>269167955
I even did a double take to make sure he wasn't still passed out, but no, he appears to be fully awake when Ranma got hit by the water.
>>
>>269168188
Good timing. Also, I unfortunately do not know what the symbol of this priest's robes is. I also don't know why it was a monkey priest. I did google "monkey priest japanese" and find an old wall scroll depicting one, which was interesting.
>>
>>269168274
Second chapter this volume where Happosai functions like this.
>>
>>269168304
You can sort of see the outline of the folds and horns of the demon that was depicted on the first page.
>>
>>269168336
But of course, this is what we get instead.
>>
>>269168359
Better than Ten. And more likeable.
>>
>>269168359
Nyeh heh heh.

>>269168417
Bah!
>>
>>269168058
Somewhere, Lum finds this outfit HIGHLY offensive.
>>
>>269168481
Yeah, Ranma is wearing WAY too much! Switch into a bikini!
>>
>>269168467
I wonder why Rumiko threw in Kuno's infamous diary in his outfit. I guess as part of him acting "as usual", we need all the classic Kuno elements.
>>
>>269168530
He wears it well.

>>269168528
>>269168481
Hah!
>>
>>269168624
Diabolical.
>>
>>269164591
Well it is only a legend, and Ramna just passed out.
>>
>>269168637
I don't understand why Rumiko had to draw the priest this way.

>>269168687
He got cured by Link! He presumably was gonna die.
>>
>>269168737
Clever speech bubble use.
>>
>>269168754
I guess her shirt is just the entire alphabet?
>>
>>269168789
Hah, Ryoga still sulking at his transgression. Also, the neck makes the demon head worse.
>>
>>269165691
>but Akane's overreactions are always going to risk rubbing people the wrong way in a way that Lum's reactions to Ataru literally hitting on other girls in front of her didn't.
Nah he does have a point. You do tend to be pretty annoying about what is obviously a gag.
>>
>>269167482
Somehow, this page feels like an informal homage to Lum's medicine she had to make for her lycanthropic moon dumplings...

Also, I have no idea what that hold Shampoo has Pink in, but it looks painful, and she deserves every moment of it.

>>269167518
Let's face it; Ranma's victory log is like, 90% a laundry list of stupid ideas that somehow worked out.

>>269167618
Badass hero moment from Ranma! ...And also one of the rare occasions where Ranma gets genuinely badly banged up for a while.

>>269167710
Pink & Link just will NOT stop poking that tiger, huh? You'd think after Shampoo nearly killed them in her sleep, they'd realize that maybe they want to call this whole stupid feud off...

>>269168058
I want to say Lum used a kanabo in the masquerade brawl chapter, or as a decorative weapon in the first Setsubun chapter, but I honestly can't say with certainty that she ever used it.

>>269168188
Honestly, I don't like this arc very much. I would have rather they gave us an OAV adaptation of the Pink & Link arc than one of this arc.

>>269168737
I think the priest's design is a caricature of old ukiyo-e or maybe noh portrayals of priests, but I really cannot be sure. It's probably a period outfit of some variety, though for all I know, it could just be the standard Shinto priest outfit.
>>
>>269168737
that guy looks a lot like the creepy safeguards from Blame!
>>
>>269168847
Okay, sorry, I was trying to determine what the symbol on the seal was because I assumed it was a hononym or similar kanji that VIZ didn't translate but no, he literally just wrote it wrong.

>>269169021
Eh, it is what it is. I don't take offense.

>>269169022
Ooo, thanks for giving me some chapters I can check. I think you're right about the masquerade brawl. Also, good point about the priest's appearance. I can see the similarity though I also don't have a confident idea.
>>
>>269169231
End of chapter! Yeah, VIZ decided to just refer to "masu" by its description since that's what they were used for.
>>
The original title was 火車王の挑戦 which my machine translation struggled with. It kept saying "Challenge of the Firecart King". Looking at the phonetics, it is possible that the initial part is intended to be "Cash" as it does not appear to be a Japanese word. So, maybe "Cash King"? Or maybe there's some association I am missing.

Takahashi's fourth editor on Ranma 1/2, Toshiyuki Seno, listed this chapter as his favorite chapter. (Though based on the interview, it seems like he meant the whole arc). I'll post the interview later. It seems his favorite Tendo sister was Nabiki so he wanted a storyline about her.

February 2nd, 1994. Author's note:
"Q: What are some things that annoy you and how do you deal with them?
A: With the exception of work I don't have many troubles. None honestly."
>>
>>269169430
>A: With the exception of work I don't have many troubles. None honestly."
holy based. i like her so much.
>>
>>269169430
Hah, that final panel. Honestly, this whole page is great.
>>
>>269169476
I don't know if the Spider-Man reference was in the original text. It is definitely possible, though it may have just been something like "I sense something!". I have no clue.
>>
>>269169504
Nabiki's tendencies are pretty well documented by the manga by this point, but now we're gonna get more focus.
>>
>>269162100
I like how friendly Ranma is with Kuno, facekicks notwithstanding. He genuinely thinks he's helping by putting the egg on his head.
>>
>>269168789
This arc's primary gag just falls kind of flat for me, largely because it cements the sad reality that Kasumi had more or less faded into the background as the series had progressed. I know the gag is *supposed* to be that Kasumi is so utterly pure and goody-goody that she can't think of anything evil outside of silly mischief, but the reality is that if you look back at the early chapters, Kasumi actually does have a notable selfish/mischievous streak; she's the one who forcibly volunteers Akane to be Ranma's bride, and she's the one who encourages Akane to be suspicious of Ranma and use violence to keep him at bay in the hypnotic mushroom arc. Yet by this chapter she's just glorified backdrop.

>>269168847
Once again, Soun proves himself only capable of making Ranma's life more difficult.

Soun's extended neck on his demon head may be a reference to the famous Japanese yokai known as the Rokurokubi; whilst it and its head-detaching cousin the Nukekubi are more famous for their female specimens, this yokai race does have male members.

>>269169276
The OAV adaptation really stretched this one out, with a new gag of possessed Kasumi cutting up Genma's bedsheets to make cloth dolls, a hint of danger when the priest reveals the oni will eventually suck its host dry of life, an attempt by Soun to offer himself up as the oni's host that ends on a fake-out, the oni resuming its monstrous form, and Happosai briefly getting possessed before being sealed up in the box with it.

>>269169430
This is probably *the* definitive Nabiki storyline. Ironically, a lot of Nabiki fans actually dislike it for that very reason.

>>269169476
>>269169504
I know the late 80s/early 90s were a different time, but you'd really think that Nabiki would quickly get a reputation as a gold-digger after bleeding too many of these suckers in this way.
>>
>>269169603
That's a good bit of change. This aspect of Nabiki was basically there from the beginning, but it didn't get much attention in her relatively few appearances. It made the character's page description of her seem a little odd to me on my first read because it focused heavily on her ruthless greed.
>>
>>269162678
Y'know, you can't really blame Kuno for chasing after the pigtailed girl when he sees her doing things like this all the time.
>>
>>269164382
theres a traditional (european) method to pull a mandrake root without risking death. you dig around the root, attach a rope to the it, tie a dog to the other end, go away far enough to be out of danger, then bait over the dog that will pull out the root and die instead of you.
>>
>>269169681
>>
>>269164927
>>269164943
ranma quick, put some of those flowers on akane!
>>
>>269161955
Gotta love the wad whap
>>
>>269163768
>>269163737
Shampoo shouldn't have broken Japanese here, should she? She's speaking Chinese, right?
>>
>>269169730
That easy. Also, leopard print. Bold.

>>269169633
I know some people prefer more "grounded" versions of characters, but Ranma 1/2's strengths to me were always in its comedy. As such, I love the extremes of Nabiki and Kasumi since I feel it is a better use of them than a realistic bit part. Plus, Kasumi still gets to subvert her positive nature like she did originally here and there when it is funny.

>>269169713
They referenced that in Dungeon Meshi.

>>269169710
Yeah, but admittedly, more fuel to a blazing wildfire won't exactly do much.
>>
>>269169853
>>
>>269169895
Yeah, Kasha-ou or Kashaou was the term my machine translation was struggling with. It was 火車.

>>269169849
Hm, good point. Maybe VIZ messed up a bit with the few lines there.
>>
>>269169938
I assume April was called that in the original Japanese because it honestly is a bit of an odd choice. I guess people in Japan don't realize it is just a common girl's name here. Or maybe that's part of the joke!
>>
>>269169988
I have no idea how the restaurant decided this but I guess maybe Nabiki made the reservation under Ranma's name or something.
>>
>>269170035
So, does Ranma have a credit card? I guess he must, but like...
>>
>>269170096
I love how it immediately goes to squalor.
>>
>>269170126
Soun is taking this rather well.
>>
>>269170147
The dummy bit does not appear to be a means of disarming his opponent.
>>
>>269170167
End of chapter! Is Nabiki wearing a cross just as a western accessory for her leopard print suit?
>>
>>269169603
You're right, but this is actually the first time we see Nabiki routinely exploiting would-be boyfriends too. The closest we got to that previously was Nabiki's "business lunch" with Tatewaki Kuno when she first began selling him softcore photos of Ranma's girl form.

>>269169633
Well, Ranma considers *Ryoga* his best friend, so from Ranma's rather twisted perspective, he and Kuno are probably genuinely friends. Sure, Kuno's annoying and Ranma won't hesitate to kick his ass for being annoying, but Ranma doesn't seem to hold any particular personal *hatred* for the guy. And, funnily enough, Tatewaki seems to return the sentiment in some stories, like when he offers to let Ranma look at his album of pigtailed girl photos; that's actually a pretty intimate gesture in Japan, a place where kissing the girl you like in public is only slightly less scandalous than having an orgy in the middle of the street.

>>269169681
That's actually one of the reasons why a lot of Nabiki fans don't like this arc. Nabiki was always greedy, sure, but this arc is where that greed becomes her definitive trait, and some readers who liked Nabiki in earlier chapters, where she was more a snarky trouble-maker type, feel it wasn't the best change.

>>269169853
It's funny how bluntly Nabiki immediately declares Ranma to be her stand-in. When *Akane* gets challenged, the established formula is "Akane tries to prepare, gets sidelined in some way, and Ranma is drafted to take her place, to both teens' complaints" (see the MA Gymnastics arc, where this plot was first developed).

>>269169988
It's great how Ranma and Akane's reaction spells out that Kinnosuke's puppet-butler is ODD even for the kooky world they live in.

>>269170035
I think it's more that Ranma and Akane clearly arrived as a party with Nabiki, so her stepping out made them the natural ones to default the bill to. I think that's standard practice, but I don't eat out at places like that myself.
>>
The original title 借金王VS借金女王 is basically the same thing but it appears to use the word Borrowers instead of Debt.

February 9th, 1994. Author's note:
"Q: What are the best presents that you've ever given or recieved?
A: The best I've gotten was an HDTV. The picture is amazingly clear and sharp."
>>
>>269165830
they are called kenzan 剣山
I've seen them irl. they are really quite neat. you can very finely position your flower stalks with them, because they are firmly held up at the base instead of leaning against the mouth of a vase and they will stay that way.
they've put the typical japanese amount of autism into developing ikebana (flower arranging)
>>
>>269170250
Swanky pajamas.

>>269170224
Well, I said it before, I feel like having a trait that gets focus rather than being a sort of bland straightman is a good thing for a comedy. Nabiki still gets to make fun of the rest of the cast while also having her own thing. And as far as would-be boyfriends, it is completely in line with selling Soun off to her teacher for like fifty bucks.
>>
>>269170350
The pajamas are presumably the most expensive thing he owns. Besides April, I guess. That is a very fine dummy and probably would go for a lot. The kanji says "King" and I think is on a shogi piece.

I feel like I had a couple live with me who essentially followed this same philosophy.

>>269170337
Good info!
>>
>>269170456
Furinkan has this note:

"Flower making - We see Kasumi and Akane making silk flowers, and in Takahashi's later series, Kyokai no RINNE, features it quite often. Historically this has been considered a job for the poorest of the poor, something they could do from home and then sell to a distributor."

I sort of assumed this was a Japanese stereotype, but I guess it is just a very old and widespread stereotype. Furinkan links to a blog and a photo from 1910 from England. I've definitely seen very poor people hawking these on city streets before, but I guess that is different than selling to a distributor. And yeah, this comes up in Rin-ne or Kyokai no Rinne a lot more.
>>
>>269170573
The dummy really was an inspired idea.
>>
>>269169430
>the poorfag arc
This is Nabiki's peak hijinxs lmao
>>
>>269170602
Another reason to enjoy this arc is the outfits. I think a fair bit of Nabiki's fancy dresses are references to retro illustrations and old photos of movie stars. Rumic World found a look that Louise Brooks sported and thinks that was a big inspiration and I can definitely see it.
>>
>>269170851
Presumably, this confidence is why Nabiki feels completely justified in charging Soun for the date outfit. And while ten yen is currently even less, 10 JPY typically correlates to about a dime.
>>
>>269170929
Hah, Kasumi does get some funny lines still.
>>
>>269170971
Do you like rent urchins or did he just give them candy he stole?
>>
>>269171012
I'd probably lose a dime to this chicken.
>>
>>269171059
Presumably the atypically typeset English in that bottom panel was in the original. Ranma and Akane probably shouldn't have come along.
>>
>>269171113
This moment was always particularly shocking to me and as such made me laugh like a lunatic. Especially Nabiki's "no buyers" after Ranma gets sold off.

Also, I never noticed the sound effect "blanche". I assume it is refers to "carte blanche", ie. full discretion as in, they went full hog.

Also, I have no idea what the kanji on the papers is. I assume it is debt or IOU. It seems short some strokes for debt though.
>>
>>269171344
Ranma and Akane's little book says karaoke on it.
>>
>>269169603
I wonder how much time Ranma spends as a woman when he's at home? I assume he's a guy 99% of the time or would try to change back into a man ASAP if he ever got splashed with cold water
>>
>>269171426
Sadly, while I do recognize the henohenomoheji, I do not recognize what is on the other sheet or what is on the ink uh, thing. I don't know what that is called. Okay, I googled it. They are called "ink sticks".
>>
>>269171540
Hah, Akane's shirt says "Viva you" on it.

>>269171490
Maybe originally, but even then he honestly seemed to allow himself to relax at home. After all, him and Genma fought over the pond in the back a lot.
>>
>>269170167
Given the oddball martial arts styles we've seen in this series, and the Yamasenken and Umisenken arc in the last volume, there being a school of "Martial Arts Mooching" makes perfect sense.

Also, it seems Kinnosuke really is just crazy.

>>269170191
Ironically, that last panel suggests that Nabiki isn't as far removed from Akane as she likes to think herself, even if she ties her pride up in scamming and scheming rather than martial arts.

>>269170602
It certainly does give Kinnosuke a unique vibe even by Ranma 1/2 standards.

>>269170851
Won't deny it; Nabiki looks utterly *gorgeous* in this arc.

>>269170929
While Nabiki does have a track record of mooching off her family anyway (see: the wardrobe full of clothes she stole from Akane in her stint as Ranma's fiancee), it definitely makes sense she'd be shameless about charging it to her father if she's already planning to sucker Kinnosuke into paying off *all* the debts anyway by playing on his "martial artist's" pride.

>>269171344
You gotta wonder just how many *pieces* Ranma left those guys in when they were stupid enough to try and take him.

Also, "blanche" is a verb meaning, depending on context "to turn pale/be stripped of color" or "to scald". It's a synonym for "bleach". Though normally it's spelled sans that E on the end for the verb; with the E, it's apparently a French girl's name meaning "white".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blanch

In the page in question, it's a sound effect meaning "Akane goes pale with shock".

>>269171490
That would be logical. Ranma largely stays as a girl because he has to or because changing back is just that inconvenient at the moment. As much as he'll exploit it, he never does lose that fundamental distaste for the change.
>>
>>269171610
End of chapter! I can't really fathom if that number could be accurate, but I guess they weren't just betting 100 million yen on roulette. Also, Nabiki, nooo...
>>
The original title was 地獄の10円勝負!which appears to be "The 10-Yen Game of Hell!" Besides the party game that showed up in Love is War, it seems 10 Yen Game refers to all kinds of old fashioned games that presumably cost either 10 Yen to play or 10 Yen to purchase.

February 16th, 1994. Author's note:

"Q: If your current serial were turned into a film, who would you want to play the protagonist? How about the heroine?
A: I would like a panda from the Ueno Zoo for Genma..."
>>
>>269171990
I'm gonna post the interview and manga extra regarding this arc and just spoiler tag the stuff that is a spoiler. Here's the first half from that interview with Toshiyuki Seno, Rumiko's fourth editor on Ranma 1/2.

"Who is your favorite of the three Tendo sisters? The eldest sister, Kasumi, who is gentle and motherly, and the third sister, Akane, who is always energetic, are quite good, but my favorite is the second sister, Nabiki.

She has a serious sense of money that one would not expect from a 17-year-old, "a man's worth is determined by his financial power!" She is one of the most peculiar characters among the many Ranma characters. When I was placed in charge of Ranma, (I started working on the 6th chapter of the 26th volume of the manga.) I wanted to do a story featuring Nabiki one day.

The opportunity came quickly. It was the story about the debtor "Kinnosuke Kashao," which began in Vol. 29, chapter 9. This man is a marriage swindler of epic proportions, who is unwilling to spend his own money to bilk other people. Only Nabiki can engage in an epic battle of debts with such a man."
>>
>>269172193
Here's the second half of that interview with Toshiyuki Seno:

"Late at night at Takahashi-sensei's office, we discussed ideas on how to make the characters spend money. We had a very enjoyable meeting, but we couldn't come up with a good idea for the punchline. After a series of back and forths, one of them had to spend money at the end, and Takahashi-sensei said, "Let's do this! Let's make it the first to spend a single 10-yen coin." The winner of the three-week showdown was decided by a difference of only 10 yen. Of course, Nabiki won the battle.

It was a lot of fun to see my favorite character play a major role. By the way, I was inspired by the large 10-yen coin that Takahashi-sensei drew on the title page of chapter 11, so when the magazine published the story, I put "10-yen Love and Death" for some catch copy. It was just a pun, but I was very happy when I received a compliment later from Takahashi-sensei, who said, "I liked that bit of text".

Ranma 1/2 4th editor - Toshiyuki Seno (瀬尾俊之)
Takahashi: Seno-san's sense of catch copy was always top notch, I looked forward to hearing from him each week."
>>
>>269172260
>>
>>269172335
I do not believe this is or was a real fountain nor do I believe the snake coiling around a temple bell holds any significance.
>>
>>269172434
I am glad that April gets a scarf too.
>>
>>269172466
Bunch of classic dowry and engagement gifts on this page.
>>
>>269172498
They racked it up fast. I guess the helicopter is probably the most expensive thing.
>>
>>269172589
The logistics of this battle will keep puzzling me.
>>
>>269172692
Hah, April's little parachute.
>>
>>269172733
Admittedly, Akane's being a bit disingenuous here but at the same time, it is certain death.
>>
>>269172760
Well, not that certain. And to be fair to Akane, I fully believe that Kinnosuke wouldn't spend it even in "normal" circumstances.
>>
>>269172796
Here's the first half of the manga extra regarding Kinnosuke Kashao or the arc as a whole, really:

"Q: I love this story so much.

Takahashi: I love this one, too.

Q: Ranma doesn’t show up much, though.

Takahashi: Well, the main character in this story is Nabiki, so there isn’t much for him to do.

Q: The way it ends up as a battle to see who can make the other pay is a great idea.

Takahashi: The end of the story keeps you wondering what’s going to happen next. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Q: Where did you get the idea for Kinnosuke Kashao?

Takahashi: It started from the desire to pit Nabiki in a fight against someone, and the only type of opponent that really fits is someone who will do anything for money. Though perhaps it would be more accurate to say he spends money despite having none.

Q: Because he’s an extortionist. What a great story device.

Takahashi: Things go very differently here than with Ryu Kumon. This time we had him showing us all he had in a very short amount of time."
>>
>>269172869
Here's the second half of the manga extra regarding Kinnosuke Kashao and the arc as a whole:

"Q: He is the seventh in line for the Kashao School of Martial Arts, meaning his family has been extorting people for seven generations.

Takahashi: That would be correct. (laughs)

Q: Yet Nabiki never backs down. You really demonstrate what a champ she can be.

Takahashi: I planned on her being the victor from the beginning, but I didn’t have the details of the fight laid out at all.

Q: Battles of the fists are entertaining too, of course, but battles of the wits like this are great.

Takahashi: On occasion, yes. They’re hard to keep up. You’ve really got to rack your brain. (laughs) It was quite the challenge thinking of how one could keep pushing the bill off on the other.

Q: And you hadn’t planned everything out.

Takahashi: Yeah, I remember pretty clearly that I made everything up as I went along.

Q: Well, all considered it came together extremely well.

Takahashi: Somehow, yes. But looking at it now there are some things you don’t see around as much anymore. Like pop top beverage cans. And you rarely see 10 yen public phones out and about. This is definitely a money battle with Showa era sensibilities."
>>
>>269172933
I like to imagine that the arrows keep coming for an insanely long amount of time while the scene is already over.
>>
>>269172962
End of chapter, end of volume! I find this one to be absurdly funny.

Feel free to use the thread to discuss anything Ranma 1/2 related, though try to keep anime fanservice scenes to the minimal, I know how often Ranma 1/2 threads hit the limit due to those. Feel free to reply to any page or panel or commentary. I have some extra stuff I'll be using to bump the thread here and there.

I will be returning on Saturday to dump Volume 30. SATURDAY. I am gonna do my volume 30 storytime early because I have plans on Sunday. I'll probably try to get it done in the morning on Saturday too, since I have some plans that evening. Sorry for the shift in schedule.

I also will be dumping the fourth chapter of MOON, The Great Pet King on that SATURDAY. Right now though, I'm gonna be dumping the third chapter of it. It won't take too long.
>>
>>269171610
Let's face it; neither Ranma's pride nor Genma the asshole would let Ranma just say "let's not duel near the pond and risk activating our curses" - it'd be seen as "weak" or "cowardly". It's more "manly" to instead get good enough that Genma can't force him into the pond. Stupid, but manly.

>>269171722
It's honestly kind of sweet of Ranma and Akane that they hear Nabiki's spiel here and they immediately seem to at least be inclined to believe that she's being sincere, as opposed to just lying through her teeth. Then again, a lot of people do believe that Nabiki genuinely does come to feel... *something*... for Kinnosuke over this arc, though I personally don't buy it.

>>269172434
The snake-around-a-bell centerpiece of the fountain may be a reference to the famous myth of Kiyo-hime, a story about a young noblewoman named Kiyo who fell in love with a priest called Anchin on his yearly pilgrimages past her family home. When she finally figured out that he had never intended to marry her like he promised (really, he was joking), she became so enraged that she turned into a fire-breathing dragon-woman and chased him down; he sought shelter under a bronze temple bell and she wrapped around the bell and heated it so much with her fiery breath and scales that he cooked to death inside it. Then she slithered off and drowned herself in despair.

https://yokai.com/kiyohime/

>>269172733
I kind of love Ranma's reaction here; it's almost like he's genuinely wondering if this is good advice for figuring out his relationship with Akane. The kicker is that Akane clearly thinks Nabiki is hamming it up.

>>269172796
Let's face it; Ranma and Akane are both right, these two older teens are both terrifying.
>>
>>269172962
I mean, one could argue that Nabiki just "taking" a 10-yen coin for herself doesn't really count as Kinnosuke spending it, but I'm sure that Ranma and Akane were both willing to insist on her winning, and let's face it: either one of them could probably break Kinnosuke in half.

...Frankly, this whole arc could have been resolved in a short period of time by Ranma or Akane just grabbing Kinnosuke and systematically breaking his limbs until he agrees to accept the debts, but that would have been far more boring.

>>269173051
Always good to see you, OP. And now with this distraction done, I should get back to contemplating my own writing... I just can't decide if I should work on Konosuba 1/2 or Teen Titans Tokyo...
>>
File: 1.png (295 KB, 907x1300)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
MOON, The Great Pet King or MOON大ペット王 was released sporadically from 1992 to 1994. It has four chapters and the first one was released on September 3rd, 1992. It was published in Shogaku Sannensei, a general magazine for third grade elementary school students. Yes, Moon is Rumiko's first and only kodomo manga.

Furinkan says "It was uncollected for two decades before finally being compiled alongside the All Star compendium that celebrated the 35th anniversary of Takahashi's career." Pretty crazy.

I feel that Moon is basically what you'd expect from a Rumiko Takahashi kodomo manga. It is entertaining enough, in my opinion. I appreciate the fans who translated these but I'm not gonna give them a shoutout on 4chan because that essentially asking for harassment. But the scans are good and the art is not flipped.

I copy and pasted that from the last thread, again. Anyway, here's chapter 3! This one was published December 3rd, 1993, a full year and two months after the first chapter. It is basically like a little Christmas special. I don't think Moon was ever intended to be a big series.
>>
>>269173051
>I also will be dumping the fourth chapter of MOON
Not the thrid?
>>
>>269173051
how about the debts?????
>>
File: 1585062736655.jpg (873 KB, 1440x1080)
873 KB
873 KB JPG
>>269172498
One question I DO have... what is that freaky limbless caricature statue with the one blind eye and the one normal eye, and why is that supposed to be good luck for a marriage?

Then again, the Mendo family crest in Urusei Yatsura was likely based on Hyottoko because he is not only a fool in many classic dances, but in myth was also a magical baby-god who could pull gold nuggets from his navel, so what do I know?
>>
File: 2.png (278 KB, 882x1300)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>269173352
The final panel has the kid's practicing calligraphy with the kanji for sky. The rest of the stuff has basic things like presumably "student of the month" and "December weather" and "Let's eat all our leftovers".

>>269173353
I was worried that was gonna be confusing. I'm doing Chapter 3 right NOW and Chapter 4 on Saturday.

>>269173364
They were billed to Kinnosuke and I guess he's now just a billion yen fraud fugitive now. Which honestly, I imagine isn't that different from how he normally is.

>>269173080
Hm, that dragon and bell story sounds vaguely familiar and yeah, it could be a reference to that. Good catch.
>>
>>269173543
Sorry, OP I was being retarded on purpose...
>>
File: 3.png (270 KB, 875x1300)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>269173543
"Salty dogs", "PEP[SI]" and "HYPER STREET WEAR". I assume these are just based on actual kids' clothes.

>>269173407
Oh, that one is easy. That's a Daruma. You color one eye when you make a wish and you color the other one when your wish comes true. Feel free to read about it anywhere.
>>
File: 4.png (272 KB, 920x1300)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>269173686
I wonder how this magazine works. The magazine is literally called Elementary Third Grade (Shougaku Sannensei). Presumably the kids who read MOON last year don't read it anymore. But there's no real recap about who any of these guys are. I guess that's just how kid's media is sometimes though. You just roll with it.

>>269173666
As is tradition.
>>
File: 5.png (261 KB, 881x1300)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>269173800
Teacher pretty cute. I admittedly just like suit jackets.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (95 KB, 716x610)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>269173800
>As is tradition.
>>
File: 6.png (265 KB, 878x1300)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>269173830
"FRYED CHICKEN", indeed. Uh, in case you don't know, KFC had a ridiculously successful campaign in Japan back in 1970 and barrels of chicken were essentially established as the de facto meal of Christmas. Hence, the principal in the Christmas chapter is just Colonel Sanders holding a bucket of fried chicken.
>>
File: 7.png (347 KB, 907x1300)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
>>269173947
I kind of love the kids in this one. They're so pumped.
>>
File: 8.png (272 KB, 912x1300)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>269173974
Wait, is Moon just flying without his jetpack? I know he can jump really high up, but I feel he needed his jetpack to fly before. Well, whatever.
>>
File: 9.png (267 KB, 876x1300)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>269174036
I guarantee you that some liberties were taken with the fanscans translating a line to "bros before hoes" coming out of the mouth of a 3rd grader, but we have no better alternative so uh, enjoy.
>>
>>269173947
they scammed the japs into accepting cheap fried chicken as xmas dinner? thats sad, imagine doing that instead of a goose
>>
File: 10.png (212 KB, 905x1300)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>269174091
Winter weight.
>>
File: 11.png (266 KB, 881x1300)
266 KB
266 KB PNG
>>269174141
I don't know much about firework cannons. I assume they don't just look like normal cannons nor are they commonplace.

>>269174098
I think it was an alternative to the Christmas turkey. I've never had Christmas goose in my life. Apparently, 5% of KFC's annual sales are on Christmas Eve in Japan.
>>
File: 12.png (550 KB, 1776x1300)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>269174287
End of chapter! The next chapter was published a month after this one (around the time of these Ranma 1/2 chapters), but I'll be finishing MOON up next Saturday. Hope you enjoyed! It is a cute little thing.
>>
File: ranma.png (80 KB, 556x434)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
Ukyo /ss/
>>269174357
Thanks OP. Man it's been a while since I've gotten to these threads on time.
>>
>>269174357
Thanks OP
>>269174098
Santa Claus wearing red is thhe result coca cola marketing, in tradition he wore green or blue. It´s insane how marketing affects society
>>
>>269174287
oh, youre doing turkey on christmas too, not just thanksgiving? I guess the goose is an european thing then. the vast majority of geese are eating at christmas
>>
>>269174563
nah, red and white were traditional too. they symbolize the fly agaric mushroom that was also used as a traditional tree decoration. coca cola just appropriated them
>>
>>269174357
ty OP youre great for doing this
>>
>>269174669
Where I'm from in the Midwest we usually do ham as the main dish. Christmas meals aren't as set in stone here as thanksgiving for whatever reason.
>>
>>269173800
>why are you so violent in response of my difamations?!
Women...

>>269174563
It's only things that catch on, marketing has nothing to do with it they're not in control of it. But they do try it the most
>>
File: 5863634-51.jpg (374 KB, 904x1280)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>269161842
Here's that cover. I don't think the Ranma 1/2 art was made special for the cover, but it is cute anyway.

>>269174563
>>269174536
>>269174871
Thanks everyone.

>>269174669
Yeah, they're huge and tasty so I think that's how it came about. Though as mentioned, ham is also a popular choice.
>>
>>269174357
Thanks for the storytime, OP
>>
File: 1634758359134.png (66 KB, 345x528)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>269175770
>KKOW
Forever based
>>
File: 5863634-51.jpg (364 KB, 897x1280)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>269168058
Here's the cover of this chapter's issue. It is mainly Mermaid Saga, but they threw in a Ranma so I figured I'd post it.
>>
>>269162259
I'm fenghuang-anon. When you think about it, Ranma-chan is also a merging of male and female that's considered female, so the joke still works.

Also, the Houoh is where Ho-Oh comes from, natch.
>>
>>269175523
I think you mean "defamations".
>>
File: 301egg.jpg (127 KB, 628x285)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>269161925
Furinkan had an image of it.
>>
>>269177299
Not gonna lie, before I clicked I thought those were tanned tits at first.
>>
File: miroku charming.png (496 KB, 640x480)
496 KB
496 KB PNG
>>269175770
>they're huge and tasty
Sango's ass cheeks.
>>
File: ezgif-6-b49ff3640d.png (451 KB, 647x700)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
>>269169430
>>269169938
Furinkan actually had a note that I overlooked that explained this and the character's name in general:

"Kinnosuke has a very interesting name. "Kin" is "a small quantity of gold" or "10,000 yen" which refers to his want of money, while "suke" means "assistance". When read Kashao essentially means "King of Borrowing" which points to his talent for getting other people to pay for him. But the kanji used to write the name mean "King of Flaming Chariot". "Flaming Chariot" is actually a Japanese idiom which means "having difficulty making ends meet" or "one's estate suffers". So Kinnosuke's name is actually quite complex."

So, that explains it.
>>
>>269168099
When you're as horny as Kuno, things like facts or words or logic don't get in the way. He is going to make Akane and/or the pigtailed girl choke on his cock or die trying.
>>
File: ezgif-6-0d06705f4c.png (368 KB, 638x680)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>269168528
>>269168481
Lum does have a more covered up outfit, but she only seems to wear it on Neptune.
>>
>>269174357
Thank you for posting.
>>
>>269178002
It's kind of hilarious that the 1981 anime adapted Lum's battle armor from the armored tank-top and mini-skirt combo of the manga to two metal boob cups and an armored minis-skirt.
>>
>>269176415
A patrician, I see.
>>
>>269167037
I find it hard to root for someone who puts her lover in mortal danger to play damsel in distress and tries to assault him when he’s unconscious.

>>269167238
It’s the 30% that really counts.
>>
>>269180987
Tanaka from kendo club... you're ok in my book. Don't come to Akehisa tomorrow
>>
>>269170250
MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io2X8dQyXEc
>>
>>269167413
Love Shampoo's face in the last panel
>>
>>269170573
I like how it's been less than one day and the doors and signs are already falling off and there's a spiderweb in the doorway.
>>
>>269171344
>>269171426
I like Akane and Ranma being on the same side, emotionally, in this arc
>>
>>269173189
>this whole arc could have been resolved in a short period of time by Ranma or Akane just grabbing Kinnosuke and systematically breaking his limbs until he agrees to accept the debts
I'm not so sure. The man willingly fell to what was almost certainly certain death to avoid paying his debts. He probably broke most of the bones in his body then.
>>
>>269161955
>charm seller I want your strongest charm
>I can't sell you my strongest charm, my charms are too strong fo
>SLAP
>>
>>269163030
>>269162892
>>269162325
I love how Juno just patiently accepts stuff happening to him by crossing his arms and letting it happen
>>
>>269183887
I feel like Nabiki could easily pull off this outfit. https://youtu.be/UJOjTNuuEVw
>>
>>269167037
>I find it easier to root for someone who tries to rape Ranma over someone who does basic runic gags

as if we needed more confirmation that the kane hater is deranged
>>
File: uglyswimsuit.png (346 KB, 347x520)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
I hope the new anime adapts this.
>>
>>269162678
Female Ranma says these kind of thing and gets date with Kuno, it's not surprising that he's convinced that she loves him
>>
>>
>>269165008
Bad Ranma, changing personalities woth weird flowers is wrong
>>
File: bothranmas.png (418 KB, 581x771)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
>>269187864
Hah. Made me smile. I will say that neither really looks like how he looked when he first showed up in the manga. Or hell, even later in the manga: >>269187574
>>
>>269168624
Kasumi completely unbothered
>>
>>269168847
Why is Ryoga still sulking? Peeking on Akane as P-Chan is worse.
>>
>>269168754
Strategic placement of Kasumi's dialog here.

Was this originally a Oni cooking is way too hot joke?
>>
>>269188952
He got caught. There's a reason he's willing to leave the planet if found out.
>>
>>269170573
I think I've seen the rose making gag in Hetalia too, but yes, it appears pretty in Rumiko's series.
>>
>>269168754
>Clever speech bubble use.
I don't get it. Can anyone explain?
>>
>>269190040
hiding kasumi's horns before the reveal
>>
>>269190098
Ah. That's nice.
>>
>>269189744
Rumiko should've written a chapter with Akane discovering that Ryoga is P-Chan before the ending of the series
>>
>>269191225
I don't think it'd fly well with Akane at all with how much she's cuddled with him and realizing how much he was deceiving her. It's always played for laughs but to make it an actual reveal would probably require the story to have a slightly more serious tone
>>
Does anyone have a source for this? I was reading an interview where she mentioned that she likes the Ranma 1/2 anime just fine, but apparently, there's a well-spread rumor that she despised it. They also mention that she had a public fallout with the producers of the show, but again, I couldn't find anything.
>>
Both Pink/Link and Shampoo looked menacing this volume. Pink/Link created a park worth or plants and Shampoo just started beating people in her sleep.
>>269165008
Ranma almost got a good end right there.
>>
>>269192072
>I hear the animated Ranma 1/2 TV series has ended.
Takahashi: That is so. I'm sad about it. It really was a fun show to watch.

https://www.furinkan.com/takahashi/takahashi7.html

>Do you have any impressions after seeing your works turned into anime and games, as well as another types of media?
Takahashi: I have always loved Ranma 1/2´s anime. Regarding the games, I am not so acquainted with them but the fight scenes are not too cruel, they have a comical touch so I think they are funny.

https://www.furinkan.com/takahashi/takahashi20.html

Having a hard time finding much on this topic.
>>
>>269192072
I've heard that too. Hard to know how much of it was real problems she had with it, and how much of it may have just been drama at the time caused by the studio going under.
Even if she had a problem at the time it could be time healed the wounds and she softened on it.

Urusei Yatsura was the one that really seemed to bother her because of what they did with a few specific stories.
Inuyasha on the other hand I don't think she cared as much.
>>
>>269192072
>Does anyone have a source for this?
Me. I'm the source.
>>
>>269169652
Yeah, Kasumi does seem different. Akane is lacking that little glimmer of dere she had last volume too.
>>
File: RemakeLooksGoodNGL.png (1.28 MB, 1075x833)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
Remake Discussion in a Nutshell
>>
>>269170456
This arc is so funny I'm forgetting to comment due to all the laughter.
>>
>>269171113
A hilarious second panel.

But why is Ranma wearing a bunny outfit?
>>
>>269195491
Presumably he picked up some work to try to mitigate the debt.
>>
A bump for Ranma.
>>
File: the council.png (3.21 MB, 1440x1080)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB PNG
>Ranma, the council has decided. We're taking your foreskin.
>>
>>269165511
Last panel reminds me of that wojak meme, please.
>>
>>269167354
True warrior spirit, please.
>>
>>269167710
Akane cute as ever, please.
>>
>>269197078
They're not american
>>
>>269198150
It was Kodachi's idea.
>>
File: 1681775818283447.jpg (380 KB, 1517x2048)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
So, Yellow Trash-anon, I was wondering: what do YOU think of the Ten Yen Arc we just saw in this volume anyway?
>>
>>269168058
stupid sexy ranma
>>
>>269198611
>So, Yellow Trash-anon, I was wondering: what do YOU think of the Ten Yen Arc we just saw in this volume anyway?
Found it funny like most of the manga but I'm not a fan of 'Side Character with X trait has a love story with their genderbent clone' because that's basically what that arc was, that part of the story wasn't very interesting to me.
>>
>>269162702
I love how they're using mini-mallets in this scene. Kinda adorable, honestly.
>>
>>269197078
Huh, Kodachi is much cuter in the anime than her Tatewaki lookalike face is in the manga.
>>
File: 1565152522428.jpg (31 KB, 500x380)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>269200027
Huh, yeah, I can see that complaint. By the way, been trying and failing to narrow down my next work; what do you think I should focus on? Teen Titans Tokyo, or Konosuba 1/2?

>>269201091
Kodachi could have had her charms, if the series wanted to run with that angle.
>>
>>269187864
Wrong.
>>
God I missed reading Ranma back in 2006 when it was one of the few translated things at my library.

OP, you got a link, id like to download the entire thing.

Also Shampoo best girl, Akane worst girl
>>
>>269202393
>Akane worst girl
yeah youll get links and help alright. lmao
>>
>>269162428
>ranma & kuno: すりこみ...
>genma: それはすりこぎ
>soun: なんてボケなしだよ
"surikomi" means imprinting in both the artistic and psychological sense just like in english. "surigoki" means "pestle". soun's punchline i can't figure out at all. so yes, they did change it a bit to explain the joke
>>
>>269163144
鳳凰丸, which i think means phoenix pills
>>
>>269169021
This.
>>
>>269164460
it's very common in japanese, you say it when you offer something to someone
>>
>>269202159
>By the way, been trying and failing to narrow down my next work; what do you think I should focus on? Teen Titans Tokyo, or Konosuba 1/2?
I'm biased since I haven't watched Konosuba yet but Teen Titans Tokyo personally.
>>
>>269168188
Kuno's dick overwrites his brain when he sees the pigtailed girl.
>>
>>269164487
ah, looking at it now she's using it wrong. i bet it's a thing chinese people do when they speak japanese
>>
>>269165074
maybe they're like water lilies
>>
File: smug chinese woman.png (301 KB, 483x367)
301 KB
301 KB PNG
>>269202600
Ni-hao~?
>>
>>269202393
>Also Akane best girl, Shampoo worst girl
FTFY, you seem to have gotten them mixed up.
>>
File: smug ranko.png (182 KB, 540x542)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>269203865
>>269202600
She's defenitly not cute.
>>
>>269202393
I got it off of Nyaa.si, just look for the VIz Ranma 1/2.
>>
>>269203972
Shampoo? I agree.
>>
File: akane.png (450 KB, 557x385)
450 KB
450 KB PNG
>>269204141
>>
>>269203104
That already is something!
>>
Akane should fall into the spring of the drowned man.
>>
>>269205206
she dressed in male uniform in a recent arc and looked hoooot
>>
>>269167213
i lol'd at the stomping panel
>>
>>269167482
shampoo has good boston crab form
>>
>>269168188
oni
>>
>>269206125
>>269203385
>>269203278
>>269203104
>>269202914
Good info!
>>
>>269168737
i think he's meant to resemble a noh mask with heian-style makeup
>>
>>269169231
as far as i can tell the misdrawn kanji is not an actual kanji on its own
>>
>>269169504
熱視線 "close attention", i think in the sense that she knows she's being watched. "nabiki sense tingling" is clever and i like it
>>
>>269169849
no, shampoo speaks in weird japanese. when her grandma is telling her to wait she says "wakata aru" instead of "wakatta". the latter would be a standard "okay" type response, the former is tortured grammar that sounds kind of like "it is that i am understanding"
>>
that whole twins arc is pure lunacy, please
dont know what mental space rumiko was at the time but seems she was angry as fuck
>>
>>269206767
I figured that was the case, I'm just saying Rumiko fucked up by having them speak Japanese in China when she was little
>>
>>269169938
kasha-ou means "fiery chariot king" but the "kasha" is also the word for a steam train in chinese. it's also a homonym with the japanese word for a freight car, so i'd guess the joke is that the dojo name is both "the royal fiery chariot school" and "the boxcar king school"
>>
So wait, if OP did the Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoru and is this far deep into the Ranma 1/2 storytimes, they're gonna do Inuyasha soon?
>>
>>269206934
Mermaid Saga and uh, maybe One-Pound Gospel first. I also did Maison Ikkoku.
>>
>>269169988
yup, it's april in the original too. the entire original teenage mutant ninja turtles trilogy had long been through theaters when this chapter was released, maybe rumiko got the name from april o'neill
>>
>>269170126
genma's face put my sides into orbit
>>
>>269163543
Shampoo wears qipao well
>>
>>269170167
now i wonder if the name is supposed to sound like "cash out"
>>
>>269170929
fun fact: 10 yen in 1994 is the equivalent of 11.94 yen now
>>
>>269171113
the english panel is the original
>>
File: Prease.png (65 KB, 462x581)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>269205946
>>
>>269162493
Maiso Ikokku refference SPOTTED!!!
>>
>>269163030
This volume marks the start of these type of obvious and short jokes. Sounds like it was a cool movie imo
>>
>>269206308
>>269206406
>>269206490
>>269206767
>>269206888
>>269207425
>>269207823
Thanks for fact checking and clarifying. There's only so much machine translation can do.
>>
File: Tumblr_l_424787037420510.png (468 KB, 1342x1342)
468 KB
468 KB PNG
I feel like the end of Ranma 1/2 crept up on me. Like I know it is one of those series that drags on, but I feel like we are already near the end and we just started.
>>
Gonna be honest, I first learned about this when I found out it was a major inspiration for art work of SSakurai
>>
>>269166666
>Satanic quints
ew
>>
>>269168058
Nah, it's finished. The premise was too wide and the episodes needed some plot advancing towards an ending but MS never really did that, it just ended up as some nice pulp

>>269168359
I simply love how Rumiko recycles her own ideas and make them work. This is a Panda scroll rehash btw

>>269168624
>Almost 3 volumes without best boy
I missed him as much as he missed the plac he wanted to go

>>269171426
>Ranma and Akane reading Mao
>>
>>269210445
It's why the Musk arc and other shitty serious arcs's effect had terrible consequences, since then the manga lost its balance and never recovered. Kind of added to it the slight artstyle change that came with them. On its own Ranma could have gone until +50 volumes without problem but once its core was tainted with shonenesque stuff it put an expiration date on its run that just came fast
>>
>>269208418
please understand
>>
>>269195491
>>269196076
Yeah when I read the italian volume I remember it mentioning that he was doing it for the tips. Did they made it up or did this version leave it out?
>>
>>269204253
lmao
>>
>>269213267
>not "understand, please"
One job...

>>269195491
Because best suit. Ukyo bunnysuit soon btw
>>
>>269215059
Should've done it yourself then.
>>
>>269212240
It really is a shame.
>>
Bump
>>
>>269177409
I also did a double take.
>>
This volume felt a bit wackier than usual for me.
>>
>>269217418
Arigato.
>>
>>269218717
I liked it. Hopefully it can keep some of that energy going forwards.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.