[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240815_134720.jpg (115 KB, 787x532)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
How complicated would it be for foreigners to adapt to the demands of the manga industry if they want to dedicate themselves to it?

I know that there are currently a few foreigners working in the manga industry in Japan but mostly as assistants or illustrators for some Japanese writer... And few are those who publish one of his works

I also know that the schedule is very heavy, but if you get to handle it... Would we have a chance?
>>
Baka gaijin should stay out of glorious Nippon.
>>
>>269907297
Less talk more action. Stop posting in this thread
>>
>>269907297
There's a manga right now that I'm pretty sure is at least partially made by a European.
That is the extent of my knowledge on this topic.
The only other thing I could say is that, if I ever got the opportunity, I would definitely become the writer for a manga.
I already have a few ideas for some.
>>
Yes it's possible but it's tough. And perhaps, misguided. Rather than aiming for the japanese market, try for a domestic or international one instead.
>>
>>269907297
If it's woke shit, I doubt the Japanese will be interested... And I even think that if those people tried to publish any of their works in Japan, they would argue a lot with the publishers for keeping their shitty ideas, and the latter knowing that those ideas won't work with almost any Japanese
>>
>>269907600

In what sense would it be a bad idea?
>>
>>269907667
the barrier of entry is very high, because of two factors
1) you only have a chance if your art is considered top tier. And I mean top tier.
2) even then, the japanese sentiment will work against you. Bochi (Dr. Stone etc) is korean who wanted to draw jump manga. He faced a lot of pushback simply because he is not japanese. One could argue that Dr. Stone could have found more success with another artist. And that's despite his ridiculously high technical skill.

Let me ask you this, what would be the benefit for you to work in the japanese manga industry? Comics are still popular, you can make a decent living with a popular webcomic as well.
>>
>>269907297
To become Japanese you must first learn Japanese.
And stop speaking in barbarian germanic english.
Assimilate or die.
>>
>>269907925
I forgot something.
The foreigners that do work in the japanese industry were all already accomplished comic artists in their own countries. I am not aware of anyone that moved in japan and started there. They hone their skills and at some point they had the option to go to japan. Again, Bochi is an example. And I forgot the other big guy, french canadian I believe.
>>
>>269907925
>you only have a chance if your art is considered top tier. And I mean top tier.
Depends. A lot of mangas nowadays are picked up from twitter/pixiv. Artist who start publishing webcomics on their profiles for free, if they're popular enough, can get a proper serialization. The barrier of entry is having an interesting story to tell, art helps but you don't have to be Miura. Look at TKMZ.

>>269907925
>One could argue that Dr. Stone could have found more success with another artist
More success than 4 anime adaptations and a movie?
>>
I'd prefer to just publish in my own country.
>>
>>269907925
>One could argue that Dr. Stone could have found more success with another artist.
And couldn't he use a pseudonym and remain anonymous? Like some mangakas who don't want their faces to be seen and can maintain a certain "tranquility" in their personal lives

Although in this case it would be so that he does not have a rejection at first because he is a foreigner
>>
>>269908165
If you think TKMZ art isnt hard as fuck to do, you are a no draw.
>>
>>269908295
Go read the first chapters of SSR. He's good at backgrounds but his art is dirty and characters are simplistic. Most early chapters were closer to sketches than finished manga.
Saying you need "top tier art" to publish is very ignorant, take a look around mangadex and you'll see magazine serializations with very low quality art.
>>
>>269908268
this seems more like a plot from a manga than something you could pull off, I'd say. If we're just talking art, perhaps. But if you want to write the story too, you're gonna walk on a tightrope in sense.

another factor is: would a publisher even give you the chance or just see it as more risky than a native artist.
>>
>>269908418
>Saying you need "top tier art" to publish is very ignorant, take a look around mangadex and you'll see magazine serializations with very low quality art.
yes, by japanese people. not foreigners.
>>
>>269907297
no. ywnbj
>>
>>269908418
His (or her) art is a stylistic choice that works for her work, ive only read girls last tour and the art perfect capures the feeling of a world once big now in ruins, it is almost as if the lines themselves are falling from the pages. This is why I think the anime is mediocre as fuck and needed a better and daring director.
If you wanna see really bad art look at Oren's or the first chapters of AoT
>>
>>269908475
>this seems more like a plot from a manga than something you could pull off, I'd say
There's popular mangas written by people we know nothing about. Take Saki for example, nobody has ever seen the author, the only reason we know anything about her is because she used to write a blog.
Or gochiusa. 10 years and 3 anime seasons had to pass before they revealed Koi was actually a duo. Before then we knew nothing about the author.
>>
>>269907297
Kill yourself.
>>
This what Isayama showed to the jump execs when applied to be published there
>>
>>269908738
again, he's japanese. any publisher will weigh the pros and cons of taking you on. they will not give you the time of the day if you art sucks. but they will for japanese people.
you as a foreigner simply present a bigger risk.
for one second, put yourself in the shoes of a publisher and think this scenario through, instead of this childish naive thinking that you will be treated equally.
>>
>>269907297
I remember a chilean artist got his manga published in a big magazine after winning a contest
the story was about yo-yo fights or something like that
>>
>>269907297
>Would we Westerners have a chance in the manga industry?
Manga is for Japanese only
Go suck Marvel, DC, image, IDW, and dynamite comic cocks
>>
>>269907600
But by working in the manga industry, you'd at least have a lot more freedom to draw sexy or scantily clad women without having to deal with a publisher telling you to "don't sexualize women" and blah, blah, blah
>>
>>269908880
>they will not give you the time of the day if you art sucks. but they will for japanese people.
Not really, people severely understimate the quality of the art in published manga. It is only when you try to learn how to draw that you understand this. There arent many foreign mangaka because the foreifners who want to do it just cant draw at all or even if they do they dont speak japanese, they dont have a passport, they are broke and so on
>>
>>269909044
Go to france or belgium and not muttmerica
>>
>>269909020
And you think there aren't some Westerners who would prefer to write for the Japanese?
>>
>>269907925
>you only have a chance if your art is considered top tier. And I mean top tier.
that never stopped fujimoto
>>
>>269909094
But it's not the same...
>>
File: Bliss.png (58 KB, 365x255)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>269907297
>a manga making thread
Hell yeah motherfucker, i fucking love you op
Why? Well, i don't know if i have a chance, but i just did this https://medibang.com/mpc/titles/j22408151221294180024021874/
So anons can tell me

P.s. /a/ needs a /mmt/
>>
>>269909245
nta, but Fujimoto is Japanese. The argument is that you need top tier art for people to somewhat tolerate the fact you're not Japanese
>>
>>269909351
I'm glad you put the disclaimer of not knowing english but even as an ESL myself, this is embarrassing, anon...
>>
File: 20240816_025240.jpg (3.79 MB, 3176x4376)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
What if they arts graduated in a Tokyo University?

I got pic related while attending a local comic con in my country as it caught my eye.
>>
>>269909245
Fujimoto art is great, she just hates chainsaw man and is half assing it
>>
Isn't it pretty dumb to pursue making manga or comics in general as your primary source of income? Isn't it better to just make it for free and publish it on the internet while you are working a normal job/neeting?
>>269909351
I'll check it later.
>>
>>269907297
Ummmmm, no. That's cultural appropriation.
>>
File: 1676444448399435.png (642 KB, 614x795)
642 KB
642 KB PNG
>>269909477
Another anon told me that was 8 out 10, that it was readeable enought, why someone would go and lie on the internet that's umposible
>>
Just draw and publish your stuff somewhere

You have to assess the situation clearly, what can you do is feasible? Maybe, how hard it is to achieve? Wouldn't there be another way to accomplish an equivalent? What would be the trade offs and so on.
Goodlu ck
>>
>>269909351
It has potential
>>
Muritards or eurocucks don't belong anywhere near the industry. Blow your brains out.
>>
>>269909677
I mean, I can understand what you're trying to say but the mistakes you make are really basic...
anyway, I had to stop reading because I didn't know what the fuck was happening. A girl appeared out of nowhere to stop the monster, the MC (?) recognized the voice and the guy on the floor, then he says she was the sister of the guy on floor out of nowhere and a lot of things were happening so fast and without explanation that I was like WTF is happening
>>
>>269909598
It depends on the country. If you are american your best shot is being slave cattle for marvel/dc/Image

If you're from france or belgium it is better to try to get the government/smaller publisher to fund your indie comic

If you are japanese you either get into a big magazine or do doujins

If you are korean just do a webtoon

If you are neither if these use patreon and have a noose as a second option
>>
>>269907297
Probably, you would need a good idea how the scene works over there in Japan. And if you are afraid of your identity causing problems just do like a lot of other mangaka do and just hide your identity in every possible manner.
>>
>>269909677
>>269909477
>>269909351
Don't worry bro keep going I sucked at English 5 years ago now I'm writing little novels.
If you lack wording for certain things you can use ChatGPT to give you an idea for some keywords or whatever. It's honestly a blessing for small stuff like that.
>>
Theres a nigga on /ic/ that is being published
>>
File: 1718126695348873.jpg (123 KB, 372x462)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>269909774
The thing is that i run it through a speech checker and then tried to do the corrections need it, so that going through two filters without no one to help, so that's the best i could get because i really can notice those little mistakes
>>
>>269907297
No absolutely not. It's NOT a business that wants the most profitable product they can find and has been branching out internationally for years. It's a secluded Japanese only secret club that only allows people they deem worthy and no filthy gaijin can ever be equal to glorious nippon.

Jokes aside though. Anyone who primarily focuses on manga doesn't have the creative or entertainment literacy to actually compete in that field which is why so many wannabes just draw really shitty boring gimmicky comics that feel like shit and that includes the Japanese themselves. Western manga doesn't exist because western manga sucks ass and that's because by the time you actually learn more about the creative world around you you'll realize how basic manga really is and probably just opt to self publish or something with a much more unique style and idea that doesn't follow such a formulaic progression.
>>
>>269907297
Theoretically, yes.
But you need to be top tier artist (so you should draw in anime style since your childhood), writer and know Japanese very well. And even then publishers would prefer to work with Japanese mangaka.
>>269907925
>what would be the benefit for you to work in the japanese manga industry?
PASSION!
>>
>>269907297
>Westerners
it's called comics
>>
File: 1621084842867.png (240 KB, 510x578)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Hands up if you think NO\NAME is mid
>>
>>269910171
>y just opt to self publish or something with a much more unique style and idea that doesn't follow such a formulaic progression.
I disagree. you literally have well respected european artists that say that they are not allowed to draw the kind of comics that are published in popular seinen magazines. There are good comics around the world but due to its culture manga stands on top as the most diverse and desirable comic scene.
>>
>>269909351
Main problem I saw right away is that your first 3 pages of actual story are quite boring.
And page 3, 4, and 5 have a lot of text but nothing really happening.
The first chapter of absolutely anything (Book, Comic, Graphic Novel, smoke signals, etc) needs to have a Hook that makes the readers instantly want to turn the pages and keep reading.
Imagine someone pics up your manga in a bookstore and they look the first few pages to see if this is worth reading, you want to show them something that will sell them the book.
It can be anything, a conflict, a cool visual, an outrageous statement, a mystery, a cute thing, etc. What's important is to have a Hook at the start.
I'll give your mango a full read once I get to a place with good internet.
>>
>>269909351
I wrote you my feedback in the gintama storytime
>>269910441
>>
Mango by a german
>>
>>269907297
There are a few anons who managed to get an eromanga or two published and a few western writers got manga/anime, the new one by the Cyberpunk guy and Urahara come to mind, but why go for an industry in a country you don't live in using a language you don't speak for an audience you don't know anything about rather than just making a webcomic? There are so many barriers to making manga and so many extra costs because you're international that it's better off to just self-publish.
Also
>doesn't even bother to look for the digital manga startup projects that accept westerners
NGMI. If you don't have the work ethic to look for those, you don't have the work ethic to make manga.
>>269908268
You aren't anonymous to the publisher, goober.
>>
Op can't even write an English sentence with a full stop but he thinks he can write Japanese.
>>
Check out the silent manga award from Coamix. It's aimed at international artists.
https://japan.manga-audition.com/
>>
>>269907297
Do you even know Japanese?
>>
>>269911524
meds
>>
>>269911550
*fentanyl
ftfy
>>
>>269907297
There was a Swedish girl who did some manga from what I recall. Haven't read any of them tho
>>
just forget it man, it'll never happen. your best bet is writing a LN which you then sell to some jap and then maybe it'll get adapted
>>
*more hostile
Gods fucking damn it.
>>
>>269907297
It's easier now than ever. Just generate images for your manga idea and publish them on twitter with japanese mtl. If it's any good I'm sure the editors will come to you on their own.
>>
File: 1715189097638990.jpg (229 KB, 619x546)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>269909861
Don't worry anon, now that i have a free time i will try to review english a little bit, also see study grammar a little bit

>>269910704
Well... i that was a bit intended honestly
>>
>>269907297
>Gotta have muh brown, black, mix and LGBTQ individuals in it or it does not le-heckin' sell or fly.

The STATE of the west right now, BTW.
>>
>>269911212
>why go for an industry in a country you don't live in using a language you don't speak for an audience you don't know anything about rather than just making a webcomic?

I already know that, obviously if I want to work in that industry I have to learn the language, its culture and what is attractive to the Japanese public (although I have more or less mastered that part) and get the passport and an apartment to live there, etc.

It's something I like a lot and I really want to dedicate myself to it, the road is very hard, I know... But I still want to try
>>
>>269907479
same, i am god awful at drawing, but i can make up stories out of literally anything
>>
>>269911667
Plenty of people have already mentioned that it's not a good idea to make a manga as a westerner but we are a bit more lenient with out own /a/nons because they are cute.
>>
>>269912258
>but i can make up stories out of literally anything
That it's a good thing but there are hundreds of ideas men. You need someone that can develop an idea and do it in a consistent way.
>>269912157
Good luck in your future endeavours.
>>
>>269912177
Why do you think I want to dedicate myself to manga? At least in Japan they won't be bothering you with that shit all the time, since there they give you total freedom over whether or not you want to include that
>>
>He doesn't know about the manga formulas they use to build a strong IPs
>He can't read moonrunes at all or make any kind of japanese pun he didn't learn randomly from anime
>He doesn't have a rich connection to Japanese history folklore and folk stories or their modern lives to draw from or subvert in any meaningful way
>He thinks he has asian slave labor under threat of dishonor work ethic as an american
>Thinks he's gonna move to Japan and appeal to a mass audience by drawing his oc go-kun punching really hard and looking cool

Lmao
>>
>>269912400
You get the same freedom by self-publishing your webcomic anywhere. Except for the middle east I guess. There's tons of western hentai artists on patreon.
>>
>move to Japan
>Become respected mangaka somehow and befriend other manga artists
>Several of your favorite manga artists walks up to you at a party and strike up a conversation
>They start excitedly asking you questions about shit like spiderman lore and the American comic industry expecting you to know

What do?
>>
>>269912576
take the gamble, make up shit. the odds are in your favor
>>
>>269912576
Wake up.
>>
>>269910648
it just started, anon
i will say, the artist needs to get better at doing transitions
>>
I have this idea for a manga about a stone faced girl who secretly has a talent for acting. Had this idea during one of my daily rides. I can write but can't draw, I need someone to do them.
>>
>>269912699
use AIslop
>>
>>269912699
AI then trace it
>>
>>269912699
Write a novel.
>>
File: 1000051450.png (405 KB, 640x640)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>269907297
>Would the least inspired and least talented group of people in the world have a chance in [creative industry] ?
>>
>>269907479
You are talking about the stinky Frenchman and his shitty political manga
>>
>>269912970
You have to understand, anon, westerners still haven't realized how much they have fallen.
Give them time, and be patient.
>>
>>269912400
All you would do is open the door to the same shit that drove everyone to manga in the first place whether you want to or not. Fuck off.
>>
>>269907297
manga is an industry devoid of personality, you can be someone without ever meeting anyone short of a handful of editors and publishing staff.

This is what makes manga special as an art form, it's created largely by a single person.
>>
>>269907297
you would need to change the industry. Like there would have to be a western or international branch of WSJ and hte other magazines that lets forgeiners try their hand at serializations. There's also indie comics but they rarely get any recognition.
>>
>>269907297
Not really, westerners only have a chance at light novels
>>
>>269910171
Manga is tied for the best storytelling medium.
>>
File: 1.png (505 KB, 646x999)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
>>
>>269913199
I said that they give you the freedom to include that whether you want to or not... And I'm OBVIOUSLY not going to include it, so don't jump to conclusions anon
>>
Well for one thing you have to pass the JPT with a high enough score to be allowed residency in the first place.
>>
>>269907401
Literally this. You're not gonna do it by posting on 4chan.
>>
>>269913364
With how conservative the Japanese are? Really? Maybe they will allow you to include them, but let them be the center of attention? I don't think so
>>
maybe if pic related is anything to go by
>>
>>269913292
>Like there would have to be a western or international branch of WSJ and hte other magazines that lets forgeiners try their hand at serializations.
I think thats what viz media is trying
>>
>>269913564
Did this by a foreigner?
>>
>>269913670
Si
>>
File: ca9.gif (2.88 MB, 480x270)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB GIF
>>269913564
>>
>>269913359
I'll just say... That you need a little more practice in drawing
>>
File: file.png (150 KB, 230x345)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>269913359
Chin not big enough
>>
I've got the impression that japanese don't want foreigners to imitate their cookie cutter manga to a t.
>>
File: 2-3.png (574 KB, 1344x1001)
574 KB
574 KB PNG
>>269913760
>>269913835
>>
>>269907297
https://www.mangaupdates.com/author/mx26jfn/juan-albarran
This guy worked as an inker for DC Comics for years before heading to Japan. He had to start over as a manga assistant for a couple years before getting a work serialized.
I think that kind of signifies that American comic book experience doesn't translate to the manga industry. You still have to work as a manga assistant for a few years.
>>
>>269914200
>as an inker
Mangaka needs a larger array of skill than inkling.
>>
>>269907297
what’s the name of the manga or artist?
>>
>>269907479
The hunter grandpa one?
the art is notoriously bad for a professional manga but whatever, it's something
>>
I want to make comics and I have a great idea for a Batman story that I can't believe has never been made
>>
>>269913564
>written by Rafal Jaki, drawn by japanese artist Machine Gamu
not exactly what I think this thread is about
>>
>>269907297
If I remember correctly there was an italian guy drawing fora magazine (I not remember if he was a full magaka/artist or an assistant)
>>
>>269914072
Practice makes perfect
>>
File: 4-5.png (785 KB, 1324x1001)
785 KB
785 KB PNG
>>269914072
>>
File: 6-7.png (751 KB, 1341x1003)
751 KB
751 KB PNG
>>269915781
>>
File: 8-9.png (736 KB, 1291x1004)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
>>269915809
>>
>>269913014
>>269914900
I'm not sure what either of you are talking about. I'm talking about the one where everyone's powers are determined by their first name.
>>
>>269915010
Care to share any details, or are you paranoid about somebody ripping you off?
>>
>>269907297
>dumbass hasn't heard of Felipe Smith
Read more manga. Watch more anime. We used to have fucking standards here.
>>
>>269912657
Once your pattern recognition gets good enough, 1 chapter is more than enough to be at least 90% accurate for stuff like this.
It's absolutely mid. Mostly the writing. The art is fine.
>>
>>269915989
I know Felipe Smith anon, the guy achieved what many would like...
>>
>americans
Nah
>Frenchs
Yea, frogs are the biggest weabbos in the world
>>
File: IMG_0715.jpg (19 KB, 252x290)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
The problem with american manga is that you guys lack of unique style, you guys are only imitating japanese instead of pushing your own vision
>>
>>269915929
I was talking about Matagi Gunner by >>269914200
good subplots with a silly main plot and questionable art
>>
Reply to this post with your manga or art to hear anons' opinions.
>>
>>269907297
I am working on my own manga right now. I don't plan to publish it or anything, just uploading it online. I hope at least a few people will read and enjoy it.
>>
>>269913594
> trying
failing
>>
>>269908010
>And stop speaking in barbarian germanic english.
Success breeds jealousy.
>>
>>269912970
>[creative industry]
Ah yes, creative masterpieces such as Frieren (generic D&D rip-off) and the deer girl anime (lowbrow slapstick humor moe garbage).
>>
>>269913359
I think about Red Scar at least once a week
>>
>>269910745
>gintama storytime
How the fuck did I manage to miss every single one of these threads
>>
>>269916713
soul
>>
>>269916384
American manga? You mean those comics that imitate the anime style and nothing else?

If so, I had heard a little about that but never saw anything... Could you go mention some examples?
>>
>>269907297
FOR GOODNESS' SAKE THE WEST ALREADY HAS AN UNDERGROUND COMIX SCENE
>>
>>269916384
If anything the problem with American "manga" attempts is that they are incapable of producing anything close to as nice as what is effectively the lowest tier of Japanese art. They use the worst art style every time and you can tell it is steeped in the American ideal of making art fucking ugly. I don't know why they are obsessed with doing that but they don't seem like they will be stopping any time soon and so accordingly won't be making any money either.
>>
File: Radiant.png (369 KB, 525x844)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>269907297
The French have a headstart
>>
>>269916713
Battle Seinen with a decent dose of comedy and ecchi moments where the premise is that there are several characters who get powers based on creatures and monsters from folklore and mythology from across the world because a few years ago a bunch of mages did a spell that initially seemed to fail but actually just took a while to manifest.
Some characters are a combination of similar creatures instead of just one. The protagonist has "firebird" powers (Phoenix, Ho-oh, and Suzaku) and his childhood acquaintance is a woman with Ouroboros (and Tsuchinoko) powers. Not everyone is going to be a person with monster powers, there will also be "normal" spellcasters and monsters.
No, the two specific characters I mentioned aren't going to be a romantic couple, they're just going to sometimes have fanservice moments that are meant to be funny/awkward. The guy will have an actual love interest though, but I haven't decided anything about her yet.
Also, the lead female will have a penis because the things she's got powers based on can put their tails in their mouths, so she sucks her own dick, haha get it, lewd joke.
>>
There are French manga-style comics that are quite successful, Radiant being the prime example. Breaking into the Japanese manga industry is another story
>>
>>269912576
>Gomenasorry, I was too busy pirating this country's works to read Supaidaa-man
>>
>>269912415
good thing none of these apply to me
>>
File: file.png (361 KB, 507x549)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
>>269912699
do you like bikes?
>>
File: 17.jpg (46 KB, 514x302)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>269913228
> This is what makes manga special as an art form, it's created largely by a single person.
Correct
>>
>>269915015
>japanese
really???
>>
File: 1719270538744.jpg (1.43 MB, 2880x2051)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>269907297
This is a current serialization in Afternoon magazine done fully by a Canadian.
>>
>>269907925
>Comics are still popular
no they aren't. They're consistently releasing garbage comics that nobody cares about. It's on life support by middle-aged variant-fags.
>>
there are many but most of them gave up and do something else low profile because they can't keep up with the average Japanese Mangaka standard.
Which probably is a good thing for them because being a Mangaka in Japan is not for the weak minded. They'll destroy their body.
>>
It is strange that none of the foreign capitalists are willing to enter the OEM market in earnest.
It seems to me that if they imitated the Japanese business model with huge capital, they could soon overtake DC and Marvel and establish themselves.
>>
File: Yes.png (798 KB, 600x1329)
798 KB
798 KB PNG
>>269907297
There's artists from Sweden, Spain and Korea working in the manga industry so yes.
Even easier than manga would be indie games (dojin soft) and extremely easy would be anime.
There's a lot of western animators working in the anime industry since late 2010s.
>>
>>269907297
Most Westerners make the mistake of only focusing on battle shonen manga and ignoring 4koma manga, which has a less intensive work schedule yet still gets anime adaptions like Bocchi the Rock and K-on
>>
File: Toby San.png (2.68 MB, 1280x1280)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PNG
>>269919300
The Japanese Undertale fans are awesome unlike the schizos in the Western fandom.
I'm gonna develop an indie game with cute characters just to have Japanese fans make 18+ fanart :D
>>
>>269915982
Im too paranoid sorry
>>
Just as the Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Taylor Swift do not appear from Japan, neither do Osamu Tezuka, Akira Toriyama, and Rumiko Takahashi from abroad.
>>
>>269907297
Assistants get paid dirt, who the fuck would go to Japan to do that? The yen being weak AF makes it even worse.
>>
File: IMG_0752.jpg (589 KB, 1200x1725)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
>>269917035
>American manga
Yep, check those viz originals. I do that often
>>
>>269921017
Get out, /co/ won't even want you.
>>
>>269921078
Hey, he ask me for examples lol
>>
>>269907297
just don't fag it up with our supposed 'culture'.
>>
>>269920788
The beatles are british you mongoloid cunt
>>
>>269921310
Don't worry, I won't... Much less with today's culture

And if I do, it would be with the good things... Pretty much like Shinichiro Watanabe did in Cowboy Bebop at the time
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (121 KB, 713x430)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
You should try to make a manga even if your art is bad because making a manga will push you even farther.
>>
>>269921017
im fine with the hair cut and even the skin color, but something about the way is face is drawn I just dont like
>>
>>269907297
Why? You're just jumping on the latest trend because it's cool? Japan really won the pop culture war
>>
>>269921434
Where'd he ever say otherwise? Do you have a loicense for being this retarded?
>>
>>269921434
CHUD, I'm not talking about the US only.
>>
>>269916748
Sell it . Let users preview the first couple pages
>>
>>269916893
Westerners can't even make a generic dnd setting anymore
>>
>>269921661
The eyes have absolutely no character.
>>
>>269907297
Ctrl-F "Paul Pope"
0/0
166 replies
This board is doomed.
>>
>>269909351
there is manga making general on /ic/
>>
I'm still a bit confused if I should using a .txt file to draft dialogue or be making visual drafts of pages with the dialogue on them instead.
>>
>>269922727
I know, but i like it here
>>
File: 147_xws2mM.jpg (137 KB, 300x400)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>269907297

Did you know that the producer of the early Precure was a Romanian? He once participated in the anti-dictatorship revolutionary movement in Romania, then fled to Japan, and joined Toei as a producer in 2006.
>>
>>269921826
>Why? You're just jumping on the latest trend because it's cool?

Partly... I mean, like every anime fan, you want to be able to work on what you like. And I know that if I want to work there I have to learn the language, study its culture well so that I can write something good and get a stay and a job in Japan to be able to publish there

It will depend on whether I am lucky and some history of mine manages to be successful with the Japanese. In addition to the fact that there I have more freedom to add the things I want and I would not have to deal with the stupidity of "not sexualizing women, add more inclusion and diversity" and so on that I would have to deal with in some famous publishing house in the West... So I prefer to work in the manga industry for it

I know I'd also have freedom posting on the internet or on webtoon, but I don't know... It's not the same.
>>
>>269925489
Interesting
>>
>>269916748
do a thread here or in /co/ when you have a couple of chapters
>>
>>269917944
Does anyone have his contact info?
>>
>>269922597
Spoon-feed us.
>>
>>269923504
The eternal question.
>>
OP if you just want to draw smut or porn or sex in a manga, don't bother. No one actually takes anime tits seriously, you'll just be wasting your life going to another country for it
>>
>>269922026
>>269926096
I was considering posting it on 4chan, but I also kinda wanna be mysterious mangaka who nobody knows anything about. If your readers know you use 4chan it kind of gives off an impression of you doesn't it?
>>
>>269926164
https://x.com/BOMHAT
>>
>>269926756
I wouldnt share it on 4chan. Try to get it on global comix or gumroad or itch.io or somewhere
>>
>>269916893
Tell me if there is any current western work that even aprochess Frieren Fantasy setting.
Because i dont think there is any.
>>
>>269907297
No because most studios would force its animators to do work for kids and not the good kind of work. Now if we get works like Berserk Lost Children arc then it might.
>>
File: 6721428.jpg (221 KB, 682x656)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
I was pretty serious about becoming a mangaka at one time. I had a degree in graphic design and wasn't terrible at drawing. I thought I'd start light to practice and draw just eight hours a day, ever day. A regular work day. After two weeks of that, I already felt like vomiting and had to take a day off. I tried to keep at it, but a weekly day off turned into two days off, which turned into five days off, which turned to three weeks off. In the end, I was so tired, the quality went down the shitter too, and the comic wasn't worth showing to anyone, never mind becoming formally published.

You don't realize how heavy that shit is until you actually try.
>>
>>269928373
Should have written an isekai.
>>
>>269928422
I did that later.
>>
>>269926802
Thanks.
>>
>>269928452
based, any page samples anon?
>>
File: p-01_textless.jpg (291 KB, 886x1251)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>269928514
Here's something from a couple of years ago. Haven't managed to draw anything fresh in a while.
>>
File: doodle.png (41 KB, 400x700)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>269928373
What is it about making paneled visual + text stories that is so draining? Even just an hour of work can send me to bed.
>>
>>269928630
Holy fucking kino.
Did you end up posting it anywhere?
Blog?
>>
>>269928630
Shame about the yuri vibes but it looks kinda cute.
>>
>>269911468
Aren't all manga silent manga, though?
>>
>>269928373
I don't know how people like akira toriyama stayed up for 3 days straight just to meet deadlines.
>>
>>269928657
Having to think both visually and literally, mechanically and in a way unrestrained by mecanics, all at the same time strains the peanut. It's unnatural behavior for us. This is why many artists aren't very good writers.

>>269928671
I posted it on my blog and twitter, but there were 0 views, and I eventually closed both the blog and twitter. I'm still wondering where to put my things.
>>
>Good artist
>At least competent at writing a story
>Fluent in Japanese
>Have some industry connections
All of those together is honestly a rather impressive CV

>Still make the retarded decision to become a mangaka, a job where a novice will have dogshit pay and inhuman working conditions
Yeah that shit ain't gonna happen
>>
>>269928703
My guess is that if they're gonna show it to nips, it's easier to ask them to not write at all than to either say "Glorious nihongo only" or have to basically scanlate all entries
>>
>>269925562
Posting on the internet or on webtoon is so useful to show your skills to editors in Japan.

Try it.
>>
>>269928825
> Having to think both visually and literally, mechanically and in a way unrestrained by mecanics, all at the same time strains the peanut. It's unnatural behavior for us.
I see, interesting way to put it.
> This is why many artists aren't very good writers.
Not sure how that connects. Are you just saying that it's rare to have more talents than less?

>I posted it on my blog and twitter, but there were 0 views, and I eventually closed both the blog and twitter.
That sucks to hear, it's hard to get any views nowadays. Why'd you close them though?
Do you have a throwaway email you wouldn't mind sharing if I want to contact you? Not about anything big, but just for a chat.
>>
>>269928849
>Still make the retarded decision to become a mangaka, a job where a novice will have dogshit pay and inhuman working conditions
I'd take that job for minimum wage in burgerland.
>>
>>269928965
Smart anon here.
>>269928966
How would that be helpful? I doubt most editors in Japan read shit that isn't translated to Japanese.
>>
File: 1663303238807532.png (1.5 MB, 1692x1734)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>269928373
I got you bro, i know how you feel, but you still could do it if you wanted too, i mean while doing manga 2 years ago i made myself suffer from ural nerve syndrome, and end up losing the mobility of my right arm (drawing arm) and still by pure sheer and undistiled autism and passion, i pull it up and make this >>269909351 while i had to learn how to drawn again
Ps. If anybody else read it, can leave a like or a comment? I wanna see if i can make it to the top 10
>>
>>269928971
>Are you just saying that it's rare to have more talents than less?
We all have natural biases towards certain directions, and as we grow and work, our brains rewire even heavier in the favored direction. Everyone knows this, right? Artists tend to think about things more visually, rather than verbally, and so on. The more you work with visual media or audio, the harder it gets to express yourself in plain text and vice versa. You can make up for it with practice, but the other fields are generally always weaker than the most familiar one. Early on, I had huge trouble perceiving stories as structures of logic after spending so much time just drawing whatever came to mind.

>Why'd you close them though?
Maintaining accounts with no traffic was just demoralizing and put on constant background pressure to do better. Shutting all that crap down was liberating.

>Do you have a throwaway email you wouldn't mind sharing if I want to contact you?
My mailboxes are so cluttered, probably easier to contact me on xitter. I don't post anything on this account, only use it to stalk boob artists, but I see messages at least: (at)4biter
>>
>>269929000
Even if it's in English, if it attracts a lot of attention, it should reach Japanese editors.
Even if it's in Japanese, if no one pays any attention to it, it's useless.
>>
File: z_design.jpg (204 KB, 877x1233)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>269929028
I'm sorry to hear that, health problems getting in the way of what you want to do sucks the most. I've had some of that too. Keep it up!
I still draw stuff when I have time. Just can't give comics the commitment they need.
>>
absolutely not and I hate that
>there are currently a few foreigners working in the manga industry in Japan
is a thing
>>
in 2013 I entered Shonen jump comic award, on a whim, because I decided to do it late, so I had like 9 days to do it, I produced a 45 page comic that's basically a storyboard, but it feels good to have submitted something. I haven't done anything else other than some web comic though. My dreams are broken, and my ambitions in cinders.
>>
Is it even possible to make manga as a hobby? seems like you need money/deadline motivation to do that kind of stuff.
>>
>>269929821
I am not interested in making art myself but why not? It's just like every other creative hobby. Motivation is something that you give yourself.
>>
>>269929821
Most of the circles that exhibit at Comic Market do not make a profit and end up taking out more than they put in.
In other words, they draw manga as a hobby that costs money.
>>
Guys...
Learn japanese.
>>
File: 1716869395144993.png (93 KB, 302x308)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>269929492
It fucking sucks doesn't it?
I remember cry like a bitch when i lose my arm for months thinking that everything was gojover, but i end up trying even harder to recover and here i'm

And that's the thing even if you don't have commitment, if you like it, if you love it, you could still push to it, i mean if you could write a one shot, and then do 1 or 2 page when you have free days, or eben one or two panels if you have one afternoon with free time that you have, you would end up finishing something nonetheless
So don't give up yet anon
>>
>>269929956
それにしても。。。決して日本人にはならない。
>>
>>269929956
私は日本語を勉強する
>>
File: file.png (217 KB, 461x657)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>269907297
There is no such thing as western manga or eastern comic, there is only good shit and bad shit
>>
Your work will be read by the Afternoon editors, even if it is in English.

https://afternoon.kodansha.co.jp/award/entry_en.html
>>
>>269917944
>Canadian
it must be a chinese
>>
>>269930163
>If you are sending a data manuscript, please upload your data into a USB memory stick, CD-R, or DVD-R
Never change, Japan
>>
>>269907297
Why join the industry when you can just sit down, and pump something out that isn't ridden in goyslop and western diversity communism.
That's all it fucking takes. Just make something and put it out there. There are so many ways to self publish and get self funded through crowd source methods nowadays.
There is no fucking prestige in working in the industry, and the pay sucks.
>>
>>269907297
No Japanese company would trust a Westerner to do what they want the same way they'd trust a Japanese person. The ones currently working in Japan got very lucky. Or they're teaching English.
>>
>>269929955
Yeah, but they're trying to make a profit and break into the industry by some miracle. For a guy like me who just wants to make cool stories because he likes cool stories, I wonder if it's possible. Only example I can think of is ONE and who knows if he'd have kept going if murata didn't pick him up.
>>
The only one I know (that's not part japanese) is Felipe Smith. He only did one manga series, though.
>>
The most common non-Japanese are Taiwanese. In some sense they still are part of Japan.
>>
>>269930371
there is an italian guy who played on Terrace House
>>
>>269907347
This.
/thread
>>
File: 1703477389559375.jpg (26 KB, 640x480)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>269929956
/a/ should team up, and make a manga abouut defeating dekinai-chan
>>
>>269930432
lol all your anime are made outside nipland retard
>>
>>269908738
Isayama was like 20 when he made this, and his publisher told him they would publish his work, but he had to lock himself in a room for an entire year to improve his art and make a full story.

That said, Yams has like S+ tier assistance carrying him throughout the years.
>>
>>269930421
You sure? I would bet it's koreans.
>>
>>269909054
This. Most published mangakas started out as assistants and/or took a couple of years in art school.
>>
File: 1721496857683394.png (2.06 MB, 1920x1080)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB PNG
>>269930517
>but he had to lock himself in a room for an entire year to improve his art and make a full story.
Asking this in a board with neets and schizos like me would be like a favor
>>
>>269918606
>>269909044
Make your own publishing studios domestically and actually try to make comics. It's possible. If Japan could do it with Manga so can you with Comics. If Japan could do it with Anime. So should the West with Cartoons. Change the industry you live in.
>>
>>269909351
You are not Japanese, so stop using Japanese mannerisms/styles/settings/faces.

Write about your culture anon, and drop the spiky anime boys, they are only cool when Japanese are doing them not foreigners. It tells the reader that you only consume anime/manga.
>>
>>269930595
Also do research on Go Nagai. You will find Japan used to be very much like the West of today.
>>
>>269930543
even the one doing hentai?
>>
>>269930524
Koreans have more of a comic culture of their own. You don't really realize if an author is Taiwanese until you read their afterwords or notice that their Pixiv location is Taipeh. Haven't seen any Koreans like that.
>>
>>269915015
>drawn by japanese artist Machine Gamu
Lol no fucking way.
>>
Can someone explain to me why black Americans are drawing better mangas than any other non-Japanese person?
>>
>>269930618
Japan is part of the west and the west is not monolithic.
>>
>>269907297
>YWNBAM
>>
>>269930620
No, drop that cringy shit.
>>
>>269930639
They have more shonenbrain.
The mangas they draw are always shonen.
>>
>>269930639
lol
>>
>>269930676
Give me an American who can draw in MANGA style better then Whyt Manga.
>>
>>269907297
I'm sorely tempted to learn manga and continue Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and do a better job than the original artists as revenge for Endless Eight.
>>
>>269930623
Ok but which are actually published manga?
For koreans I know that have had their works published in Japan I have Shin Angyo Onshi author, Freezing author and Sun-ken Rock author.
>>
>>269930696
Manga is no longer a style. The whole manga/gekiga division is long gone.
>>
>>269930696
any japanese and i bet they could draw a full chapter in a week while your nigger while struggle to finish it in 3 month
>>
File: 1708671400904745.jpg (49 KB, 206x314)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>269930601
Could you explain a little bit further? I mean i was fearing that i would overstep that boundary too much, but i just tried to do the protagonist with a japanese name because i like the kanji and meaning of the name and even tried to find it in other language, but no other seem to fit

I also tried to make the school look a bit japanese, mostly because my country is similar in some things to japan, but the schools have better architecture and look cooler too
>>
>>269930483
I'll draw the logo
>>
>>269930548
Anon, it's an entire year locked in a room doing art reps, not an entire year locked in a room shitposting and watching anime
>>
File: 1608914877887.png (14 KB, 166x166)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>269930895
WHAT!!! A whole completely fucking year drawing my own shitposting anime?!!!
Where i sign?
>>
>>269930548
i hate this fucking bitch i hope the mc ends up with the gyaru and not her
>>
>>269929362
>Even if it's in English, if it attracts a lot of attention, it should reach Japanese editors.
Name like 5 examples lol
>>
>>269930827
That anon is just retarded, don't listen to him.
>>
>>269929349
I see, and I saw the spoiler. Thanks. May reach out soon.
>>
>>269929814
Is this your art? It looks fucking amazing. Post blog before page 10 please. Would love to work with you or just hear about your manga. I'll check the ghost thread if it archives.
>>
File: 1640450990698.jpg (118 KB, 500x500)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>269929814
Do not give up anon, we are gonna make it
>>
>>269930827
>>269931180
Seconded. learn to filter out unhelpful anons
>>
File: 81oXcswkskL._SL1500_.jpg (295 KB, 1091x1500)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
How do the japanese feel about westerners trying to make "manga"? Is this one of those things western purists care more about?

Either way, Sueisha doesn't give a fuck
https://www.viz.com/create
https://medibang.com/mpc/

both of these are owned by them and they want western artists to submit, they are seeing webtoons growing a serious readership in the west and probably fear threaten.

There literally has never been a better time to be a weeb faggot trying to be mangaka.
>If the endless dream guides your restless spirit, seize it!
>>
>>269907297
Reminds me of those terrible "how to draw manga" books lol.
>>
>>269907297
whats the name if the manga on the pic, i think i read it but i cant remember the name
>>
File: equinox 2013 storyboard.jpg (626 KB, 322x8000)
626 KB
626 KB JPG
>>269931209
yea, but I am a flake, and I prefer to work on my own projects. I am mostly a porn artist nowadays, @ac120rfw , and but I maintain a SFW page on tumblr @ac120 .

>>269931242
I have not given up, but just through a slump recently.
>>
File: 1619956860212.png (24 KB, 121x147)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
What is a manga only you could draw?
Answering that question is the key to success in creation in general.

I'm wrestling with it right now.
>>
>>269931633
Thanks anon I'll check it out.
>>
>I want to be mangaka XD
teen thread
>>
>>269931633
I love the shading, how do you do it like that

>>269930853
Great, between the two of us will make the logo in no time
>>
>>269931718
Maybe if your teenage self had such aspirations you wouldn't still be here.
>>
>>269931825
kill yourself ironic weeb
>>
>>269931850
Being jaded is gay as FUARK.
>>
>>269931890
kill yourself
>>
File: 1631828127397.jpg (8 KB, 200x200)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>269907297
>western manga
Just call it comic. Why would you use loanword for term you already have?
>b-buh muh artstyle
No such a thing. But if you insist I will call your kiddie doodle monochrome manhwa.
>>
>>269932024
It'd be a manga inspired illustrated novel. That doesn't really roll off the tongue though and is unpleasing to non-autistic individuals.
>>
>>269910825
art was great, pity about the story being shit
>>
>>269910648
The first chapter was very interesting but the second chapter showed all of his shortcomings. The author can't write organic dialogue to save his life and the story seems like it will spend way too much time on the uninteresting bits instead of fleshing out the world properly.
>>
>>269930801
>ESL speed reader calling anyone else a nigger.
lol
lmao even
>>
>>269930827
Don't listen to other replays, anon.

What I mean is when people want Indian food, they go to an Indian restaurant, right? The same goes for manga; it’s rooted in Japanese culture, which is hard to duplicate without it feeling off. Think about "Watchmen"—it’s effing American, and if it were done in a Japanese style, it might not have been as popular. The fact remains that in the last billion years, all famous manga out there have been by Japanese creators, and there are billions of wanna-be creators who are duplicating that and are failing miserably and wasting their time.

The point is, don’t just copy the anime or manga style. I’m not saying you have to reinvent the wheel, but take a look around you, your culture, and people and use that as your inspiration, even if what you see is ugly, people appreciate REAL stories.
>>
>>269932950
nah mate, you're full of shit. just like the nips like to be inspired by american and euro art styles (One Piece just as one big example here), it works the other way around too (Teen Titans)

you're too narrowminded
>>
>>269932065
Illustrated novels =\= comics.
>>
>>269933061
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynfKemJinVM

Here's the greatest fantasy writer telling you "to write what you know", but fuck him, right? Let us listen to a bunch of neets on an anime board.

You are wasting people's time by telling them to write knock-offs Narutos and the life of Shinji, the new high school boy.
>>
>>269932950
I disagree with being inspired by “your own culture and people”. I agree with the fact that it has to be something that comes from within you. I am interested to use locations from my country but culture and people not really. There are plenty of manga that don’t have japanese mcs.
>>
>>269932950
I half agree with you. I'd like to see a SoL set in the USA. The issue is that the US is a huge place. Texas, New York, Washington, California, they're all very different from each other. There's no real "standard american" neighborhood, food, clothing, ETC. You also lose things like senpai/kouhai culture, ETC.
>>
>>269933208
I don't give a fuck what this hambeast says. Stop trying to appeal to authority, it makes you look pathetic.
In any profession, you should look at ALL the tools and techniques available to you and pick and choose from them.
You are making a retarded "cultural appropriation" argument, stay on twitter with the rest of the dullards. What kind of idiot thinks just because you haven't been born on an island on the other side of the world that this is a valid reason to constrict you choices.
>>
>>269933208
> The greatest fantasy writer telling you "to write what you know", but fuck him, right?
Yeah. Why imitate when you can blaze your own trail? All writerly “advice” is utter crap and only leads to clichéslop.
>>
>>269932218
>art was great, pity about the story being shit
I just read through it and it was pretty decent i thought,much better than 99.9% of isekai slop we get now.
Plus aret being great is 50% of the manga, stop being a weabo elitis faggot, it not the 90s and 2000s anymore Japs are making brainless slop just as bad if not worse than Marvel.
>>
>>269933266
>There are plenty of manga that don’t have japanese mcs.
Yes but they only came after the mangas set in japan were already made, so there was room for experimentation.
>>
>>269933354
> 90s and 2000s anymore Japs are making brainless slop
Wtf are you talking about? Most manga have always been bad just like every medium.
>>
>>269933266
Vinland Saga might not be Japanese in setting, but its style is undeniably rooted in Japanese seinen manga. That’s what I mean by sticking to “your own culture and people.”

>>269933292
The fucking ego on you to not take the advice from someone who reached the top. I bet you never put in the time to study anatomy, perspective, or scriptwriting, just drawing the same anime girls over and over.

>>269933278
>You are making a retarded "cultural appropriation" argument

This isn’t about “cultural appropriation”; it’s about avoiding cringe-worthy knock-offs. There’s a reason why there hasn’t been a hit Western-made manga.
>>
File: IMG_2472.jpg (157 KB, 600x848)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>269931850
While people like you were too busy thinking that being jaded makes you cool, weebs like us studied the pen. While you’re online shitting on people’s aspirations and telling them to kill themselves due to your lack of aspirations, I kept drawing and turned my stick figures into picrel. Git gud, scrub.
>>
File: 1723222055702751.jpg (57 KB, 556x374)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
You're not really gonna reply to thos baot, are you?
>>
>>269930548
>>but he had to lock himself in a room for an entire year to improve his art and make a full story.
>already done this with great improvement
so there is hope...
>>
>>269933490
> it’s about avoiding cringe-worthy knock-offs
You're essentially defending cringe-worthy knock-offs because you want everyone to mindlessly follow whoever is most popular.
>>
>>269933208
>the greatest fantasy writer
>GRRM
lmao
Also, what does he know about dragons or being raped by feral horsemen, exactly?
>>
>>269933605
Nigga read. I want people to follow the principles to not make cringy-worthy knocks offs.
>>
>>269933208
That guy is just a poor mans Tolkien like his other clones.
>>
>>269933680
>>269933632
>Best Selling Fantasy books.
>Highest Rated & Most Watched TV Seriers.
>Highest Rated Video Game.

Keep seething.
>>
>>269933276
>SoL set in the USA
Wouldn't work on a fundamental level
>>
>>269933722
Big Justin Bieber fan too, right? Or do you pick and choose like a hypocrite?
>>
>>269933722
> just follow whoever is the most popular
nice principles, bro
>>
>>269933722
Depressing.
This is why the west is not respected.
Our current man is just a bad clone of a previous one.
>>
>>269933670
>muh culture!
>you are NOT Japanese!

Funny how you keep bringing that up when a LOT of Japanese mangaka, LN authors, and anime directors use LotR, Narnia, Harry Potter, and Star Wars as references and inspirations for their oh-so-japanese works. Lol, lmao even XD
>>
>>269931706
let me know what you think.

>>269931769
its typical high contrast shading but applying a single direction hatch marks. The high contrast light direction from the top tend to obscure details of the eyes and mouths, only leaving ominous looking silhouette of the eyes and mouth. It is used for dramatic effect, but also very good for if you want to create interesting shapes. It usually is filled in, but I thought hatch mark is creates more texture, but usually looks unfinished.
>>
>>269932950
You make a good point but unfortunately the esls in this thread are too dumb to understand what you are actually saying
>>
>replying to yourself
kek
>>
>>269932950
>What I mean is when people want Indian food, they go to an Indian restaurant, right?
Yeah and the "indian food" is cooked by mexicans.
>>
>>269933784
No-no-no... It's very different. You see, Japanese are allowed to have a treasure trove of inspiration. You have to follow George R.R. Martin to become George R.R. Martin, Jr. Please, understand.
>>
>>269933747
A Japanese in the 50's would have said the same.
You never know if it works until you try.
>>
>>269933879
LOL, no. Cope harder. A long time ago I used to be a “weeb elitist” like this faggot who thought the same thing. Then I moved to Japan and made it into the industry, and then my eyes were opened when I realized how much anime and manga took inspiration from Western media and literature, which continues to this day.
>>
So how did this person explain cases like the Chinese copying Japanese anime and making trillions of dollars in genshin impact?
>>
>>269907631
Woke shit is just as despicable to westerners.
>>269907925
Any product in the west that gets popular and doesn't fit the narrative either gets cancelled or subverted into a politically correct mouthpiece. Even if it is inoffensive they will force you to cram their message in.
>>
>>269933975
An ugly country filled with ugly people and ugly things is not a fitting setting for SoL story
>>
>>269934027
Do you think all of the USA is ugly?
All?
>>
>>269934027
Even if it is, it's not something you cannot fix, you can.
>>
>>269934065
There are a few nice looking places but it's tainted to its core
>>
>>269934114
Then build with the few nice looking places, i recommend because that's how Japanese started their industry.
By building on nice places and things they saw.
You can do the same, Now.
>>
It would all be solved if Elon Musk set up a manga publishing company in the US that mimics the Japanese system.
>>
>>269933879
I somewhat agree with his broad strokes that manga can only really be manga if its done by the Japanese because when we say "manga" its shorthand for "comics drawn in Japan" and thus manga can only be created by someone that is culturally Japanese. the same way we wouldn't just say someone from nebraska is making "french comics".

But everyone is calling that anon a retard not because of esl but because he is making the dumbest arguments possible. The idea that you shouldn't borrow Japanese mannerisms/styles/settings/faces and overall aesthetics is fucking stupid, an artists will make art based on what they are inspired by. These type of limitations are usually placed by non artists that only consume media on a surface level. Or failed artists that become art teachers lol. The anon cites GGRM but if you ask all the successful manga or anime industry people, like most artists, they have no problem with westerners copying manga aesthetics. Again, cause artists understand artists can't control what inspires them.
>>
Hip-hop will always be singing slice of life. We can make that into a manga.
>>
File: file.jpg (201 KB, 800x622)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>269934221
>These type of limitations are usually placed by non artists that only consume media on a surface level. Or failed artists that become art teachers lol
someone else comes to mind too
>>
File: C08suq3XEAAOeVE.jpg (161 KB, 1200x630)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
Just draw/write what you want.
>>
>>269930801
cool it with the anti-monkey remarks
>>
>>269933505
Mecha musume is sooo 2009 anon! Drop that (admittedly decent) GARBAGGIO and get to drawing vtubers and gachawhores, chop chop ドンドン!
>>
>>269909054
You're absolutely right. There's zero value to being japanese in regards to creating japanese comics for japanese people in the japanese language.

Go commit 10 years to this goal and make sure to use deepl instead of google translate for your dialogue.
>>
>>269934003
It's funny China of all places started before the US.
>>
>>269933505
Where is this actually from? I see "cyber idol suzuka" but it's not google-able. Some art book or how-to-draw book?
>>
>>269934671
To answer my own question, because I'm an idiot:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/89957564
>>
>>269934553
Seethe, lol.

>>269934700
Well yeah, this is my own creation so you’re not gonna find it anywhere but pixiv.
>>
>>269917396
Hahahaha lmao
>>
>>269914072
shonenslop #10873
>>
>>269907600
It's not much more misguided than aiming for a career in comics at all, really. Each industry has its shortcomings, and there are many ways in which japan's market is attractive to prospecting professionals. Not least of all is that's it's open to newcomers. With other comic industries there's very few ways to get your foot in the door, and it generally requires you be the cream of the crop. Not so in japan, there's publishers who will give you a shot no matter your art skills (within reason). All that matters in japan is if you can make something interesting. Of course, it's still not a "smart" choice to try make your living with comics even in japan.

>>269907925
Actually, the barrier of entry in japan is far lower than you're thinking, and far lower than most comic industries. Your art really does not need to be all that good at all, merely good enough to convey your intent.
The japanese sentiment is not as strong as you think. Yes, some japanese will find reasons to hate you and your work, but there's just as many who are interested to see other perspectives. Manga is not normal society, mangaka are already the weirdos who stand out and manga is a field where standing out is very much desirable. A foreign perspective is a powerful advantage in this regard, and might draw curious readers in just because they want to see what a manga by a foreigner feels like.

>>269908142
>The foreigners that do work in the japanese industry were all already accomplished comic artists in their own countries
That's false. Actually the only example I can think of is Boichi. All the westerners-cum-mangaka were making their debut as a pro author in general when they made their debut in japan.
>>
>>269909736
>Netflix *farts* in your direction
>>
File: holy chad.jpg (599 KB, 1226x1920)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
time to post some radiant i guess
>>
File: Grimm.jpg (95 KB, 736x920)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>
>>269912247
>obviously if I want to work in that industry I have to learn the language
Nope
>its culture and what is attractive to the Japanese public
Yes.
>(although I have more or less mastered that part)
Lol, you don't know what you don't know. Expect to learn a lot about what "japanese people like" from your editor.
>and get the passport and an apartment to live there, etc.
Nope.

You don't need to know japanese and you don't need to live in japan. I live in australia and I made my pro-manga debut back in april. I don't speak japanese. It absolutely can be done.

>>269908475
>another factor is: would a publisher even give you the chance or just see it as more risky than a native artist.
They're not working with you blind dude, if you're talking to a publisher it's because you're bringing work in to show them. They can already see what they're working with, and if it has potential then they'll probably want to give you a shot. Starting new manga isn't that expensive and publishers are always looking for anything that could potentially be a hit. If your skills are ready for a serialization then they'll absolutely give you a shot for a book or so. If it doesn't sell then oh well.

>>269908738
And he was rejected. What's your point?

>>269908880
The risk of working with a foreigner is exactly the same as working with a japanese person. It's just possibly more work for the editor in charge, depending on the circumstances. If all things were equal, they probably would prefer a skilled japanese author over a skilled foreign author, but it's not always a case of one or the other.
I can't speak for equal treatment, because I have no idea how japanese authors are treated, but so far things have been pretty smooth sailing with me and my editor. Only issue was that that they had to jump through some hoops on their end to get me paid, but with that set up they're good to pay any foreigner.
>>
>>269907297
By western you mean murricans?
Definitely not.
They are too bitchy, specially authors.
Also they tend to unionize and go on strike because for retarded reasons.
>>
>>269930641
While Japan and the West have similarities. Japan became more mature and the West became for kids. Seeing the two as the same is misunderstanding history, culture of two different regions.
>>
>>269936033
Honestly I see it as an issue of them thinking they need big corporations to survive or to make anything because they are used to a monarchy than understanding the world is much more free than that and they can make their own small Animation studio, make their own comics and make whatever they like and put it online and make some good cash domestically and overseas.
>>
>>269909598
Yes, comics are unlikely to pay off. In Japan or otherwise.
It's possible, but it would be far easier to become a doctor or a lawyer or something and I really mean that. Only do it if you love it or if you truly cannot do anything else, or you'll regret every second of it.

>>269926726
Actually japan is probably the best place on earth to do that, lmao. Plenty of eromanga authors out there making a living working with publishers.

>>269928849
>Have some industry connections
Japan is rare in that such things aren't necessary. Literal who authors are the norm. Fluency isn't required either.
The first two points are pretty rare though yeah.

>>269929000
>>269929362
Japanese editors will mostly be looking for japanese comics, yes. But sitting around waiting for a publisher to contact you is not a strategy. If you want to be published, you go to the publisher yourself. They have websites, this isn't the stone age.

>>269930320
>but they're trying to make a profit and break into the industry by some miracle
Not necessarily. Showing up to comiket twice a year is actually a pretty bad strategy for "breaking into the industry". This is a country where "breaking in" is as simple as approaching a publisher with solid work. It's building the skill to create that solid work that's the trouble.
ONE was already with a publisher, working on MP100 by the time the OPM redraw was coming out.

>>269929956
It would certainly help but it's not an absolute requirement, and I aim to prove it. やってみような

>>269930304
Self publishing requires you do the publishing yourself. It's in the name. Working with a publisher means the publisher does the publishing. Again, in the name. Don't want to do the publishing yourself? Take your work to a publisher. That's why you join the industry.
Plus having an editor is a huge boon.

>>269931383
>Is this one of those things western purists care more about?
I think so. My publisher hasn't been shy about bringing up my nationality.
>>
It's always shonenshit, power this, creature that with you fags. Until you understand mono no aware, you will never capture the Japanese and manga soul at large.
>>
>>269934027
I forgot, the average nip woman is a gravure model and men are mostly bishounens worthy for the most high class host clubs.
>>
File: newchap.jpg (1.04 MB, 2000x1518)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
Juan Albarran, author of matagi gunner, became a professional mangaka without even knowing how to speak or write japanese. To this day he cant speak the language.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.