[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: frieren shrek.jpg (40 KB, 637x358)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
What's gonna happen after 1000 years of tech work?

https://youtu.be/CKUM1U8NK8o?si=yNMI-_Eium2OCbdG

>Interviewing
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
https://www.careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

Previous thread: >>101747319
>>
first for sneed
>>
File: file.png (76 KB, 2620x350)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>The current status of this field
>>
Good thing I learned to code!
>>
File: 1667678805343559.jpg (74 KB, 890x1024)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
RIP the market bro's I am going to stay at my company for another 2 years before moving out. At least I get paid great in my area and even more so for my shit job.
>>
File: frieren-shrek (1).gif (1.9 MB, 320x180)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
do not job hop until trump is in office.
>>
>>101760002
I became homeless after my last job and realized I never got much in return for paying rent so I never moved back inside. If I get laid off again I can afford to maintain my current lifestyle more or less indefinitely.
>>
File: frieren-shrek (2).gif (1.91 MB, 320x180)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB GIF
do not job hop until kamal is in office
>>
File: 1689604495020335.png (799 KB, 1156x1200)
799 KB
799 KB PNG
>>101760064
Bad advice you cannot job hop until Q2 and Q3. Most companies hunker down during holiday season to capture more money and to stabilize there stake in the market. Also it is alot harder to get a job in Q1 and Q4 from my experience. It won't magically get better instantly once whatever president gets in office.
>>
>>101759981
This really sucks cause I genuinely love technology, but passion for the field ain't enough no more. I don't want to become a tradesman but there's just nothing else to be done. And by the time I'm done learning a trade, the tech world will pick up again.
>>
>>101760118
Being a cable installer for a big company can pay decent but that is nothing but mobile work.
>>
>>101759976
Grow up.
>>
>>101760030
>>101760064
shill me why
>>
>>101760157
my uncle told me
>>
>>101760118
honestly just move to china and work as a white monkey till things get better, should give you enough time to keep up to date on your projects
>>
>>101760313
White monkey jobs are over friend. Everyone is moving to Korea, Thailand or Vietnam for white monkey jobs. China will straight up arrest foreigners for leaving the region there work is located at and many have been tried in court for espionage that they may or may not have committed. Besides alot of companies are moving out of china.
>>
I fucking hate IAM.
>>
>>101760340
would you say that china is collapsing?
>>
>>101759963
>Find bug in ARM Software
>Support guy goes out of his way to rebuild driver and send us a test copy to test
> Problem fixed
This is a level of support I was not expecting.
>>
>>101760380
No collapsing is far to generous of a term. The better way to look at it from the outside in would be that shit is changing and for the CCP it might be a better move to keep it going then it is to go back to what they where doing before. But who's to know? I think this might be a method of them building up there domestic production so they keep even more of the profits, factories and technologies in house for themselves since they have stolen most of it already. They also have a glut of Masters and PhD holders so giving them something to do would be prudent as there markets move from manufacturing into either consumerism or something else.
>>
>>101760313
China's economy is more fucked than ours. This should flip at some point when people realize all the migrants are going to be a bigger net drain than the old people but right now China is in a pretty major depression.
>>
File: 1529872707216.jpg (124 KB, 839x951)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Losing motivation to make random slop projects. Ill never have a good resume.
>>
>>101760482
Build something good then. I had a great multi month project that's still on my resume and impresses a lot of people. I probably could have even monetized it if I put some effort into it.

Having a project like that going always makes me happy. When I disrepair I just open up vim and go back to hacking.
>>
Bros. Do you ever think for one second that there's glowies itt trying to psyop us into wage slaving?
>>101760002
>>101760043
>>101760030
>>101760064
>>101760108
These are prime examples of corpo homo actors trying to FUD us into keeping our job and not looking for anything better. Think about it. Most of the outside world knows us as people who don't browse anything else and don't even socialize outside of this god forsaken site. It would make sense to echo the one thing they want to instill fear into us. I think we deserve better. Also please give tips on how to bring down a finance company from the inside when you have unreasonable and unwarranted power when it comes to controlling the infrastructure because it's filled with boomers.
>>
>>101760593
I was saying quit paying rent and just bank the money so you have the flexibility to look around worry free.
>>
>>101760482
are you me
>>
>>101760647
shutup shill
>>
>>101760727
Look I'm just telling you what worked for me.
>>
File: 1687650480593169.jpg (126 KB, 1024x1010)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>101760593
>>101760647
anon what do you do after you don't have a job or pay rent money and need somewhere to live?
>>
>>101760745
you need to go back to training glowie, we see through you
>>
>>101760764
That guy is a troll.
>>
>>101760806
>calling someone troll
>in 2024
They really don't update their glowie manuals huh? Typical gov job, and to think my taxes are paying for it.
>>
>>101760816
No term has replaced it retarded zoomer.
>>
>>101760764
Move into your car or with your parents. If you're single renting is way overrated. You're pissing half your paycheck away for nothing.
>>
>>101760888
Parents are 3 towns away in a crappy location without any tech jobs. I am paying off a house and make 140k$ why would I stop paying off my house or leave my job when this market is shit. For entry level guys that is the best option for most people but most peoples families are not in city centers where there are a ton of tech jobs. There are none where my parents live.
>>
>>101760910
Rent your house out and get a remote job.
>>
Jesus fucking Christ lads. Calm down. If we put our heads together we can definitely come up with a way to sabotage the global economy. Glowies, troll, I don't fucking care. Just chip some shit and see what sticks. Cloudflare operators working over time. I can't even fucking get a captcha
>>
>>101760946
Seriously move into your car and let housing unwind again.
>>
>>101760925
>living with people
Nah dog I am making 3x principle payments to my house. 5 years and its paid off. I also cannot remote work due to the nature of my job.

What I am saying is that your advice in this market does not apply to everyone in everyone's situation. We have overqualified people that lost there jobs applying for entry level positions that pushes out people that would've gotten the job. Then we have people that are learning the job and market quitting for whatever reason and end up having to live in there parents house or car but not by choice. As it stands right now if the pay is good then stay at the job for the next 2 years unless you have an offer letter.

Not paying rent is not a solution unless you like being black listed.
>>
>>101760946
>Just chip some shit and see what sticks.
Convince the public that the dollar is meaningless, and it becomes meaningless.
>>
File: 1656622490803.jpg (38 KB, 564x379)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Talked to my mom over the phone recently. It had been a while, so we were just catching up. Obviously, she asked how the job search was going, and I had no news (laid off 10 months ago). She said "Well you'll find something eventually" and I had to tell her that no... I might not. This could be it. I'm old (already in my late 30s) and the longer you go unemployed, the less attractive you look to companies. She said something about it being a bad job market, and that they'll understand... lol, completely out of touch. I said that most recruiters and hiring managers believe that the good engineers stand out and get hired no matter how bad the market is, and so if you can't get hired then there's something wrong with you. I had to break it to her that her precious son is just another worthless loser who probably should never have been born.
>>
As someone in college, I need to ask; is the age of “make a startup and earn billions (or at least millions) over? I’m not talking about funding, but the rate of entrepreneurs generating tech businesses that make millions to billions a year? Is that not a thing anymore? I can’t ask ycomb because people there are autistically avoidant to genuine questions
>>
I was informed today that next Wednesday I will be going to corporate HQ to "meet the other members of the team" for a new job.
What should I anticipate? The way it was worded sounds like it's not very formal. They didn't even use the word "interview" anymore. Is this a trap to catch me unprepared for a surprise technical test or is this kind of thing more of a "vibe check," to make sure you don't give the female employees the creeps?
I have only ever worked for one company and I got started as an intern there so I've never had to do this particular style of interview before
>>
>>101760958
>I am making 3x principle payments to my house
I always hear this is a bad idea because you could just invest the money and make more than you'd save by paying your mortgage early. Is that not true anymore?
>>
Does anyone want my job? I make 30k/yr in South America. You can take it if you want but only if you can convince my boss to let me go (with compensation)

>>101760998
Yeah, sounds like a vibe check.
>>
>>101760888
what car, what parents??? I'm not single either, and you're acting like a fucking retard
>>
>>101761134
Honestly it entirely depends upon the interest rate, what your investing in and what money your losing from paying off your bills being paid off for that time period.

For my 5.8% interest rate it makes sense to pay it off early since i will never make that exact amount of money back in investments (5-8% investments if your lucky). The money lost on the principle and interest rate that could've been invested is something I have also considered to why I am paying it off early.

Think of it like this in 6 years you pay off a 30 year loan. You save X amount of interest which now is almost the same value of the house at 5-7% of the house. Then since you have done that you have 24 years left of having that money to yourself in which you can invest not to mention the extra principle payments themselves. For my math I will catchup to what most people do alot earlier and even if I do not retire in this house it will count as a major savings pool that can be moved into another house or for other investments.

For most people however investments make sense since people move cities every 6 years and buy new cars and bullshit every 6 years. It is alot safer for them to have it pulled before there paycheck after taxes is given to them then it is for me to have it hit my account and get pulled from it with a house payment. I know far to many people that would foam at the mouth, increase there credit card limits and go to the hilt with debts if they had my income. That is why it is better for investments then to do what I am doing. Also if your home loan is below 5% it works in favor of investments with a minor principle payment to reduce that mortgage's effective interest rate and act as another savings with the equity.
>>
File: 1709373064801146.gif (1.88 MB, 374x280)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
I am one month away from running out of my savings and I still haven't been able to get a tech job again
>>
>>101761217
Makes sense. I think I'd also bias to paying it sooner for the peace of mind.
>>
>>101761217
NTA it's like 6%-10% or 8±2% ROI from stock market investments. However, with a 5.8% mortgage interest rate, it makes sense to just pay that off early especially when there shouldn't be anything that can cover that.

Once you refinance - if that is even possible - then you can dial it back and switch back to optimal financial tactics.
>>
>>101761256
Peace of mind is great but for me its a matter of reducing my risk. How many people have you known that lost jobs and end up in massive credit card debts? but that is not my problem I have good savings.

>>101761264
Yeah i will add I am also maxing out my 401k in all of this but I still need other investments on top of just that. You cannot realistically retire with maxed out 401k contributions ever not to mention far to many people lose as much money as they put into these contributions so I am betting on my good location to stay and have a house paid off for the next 10 years since it is growing. But if I refinance I will consider adjusting into those other investments.
>>
>>101761264
>>101761256
Forgot to add but since interest rates are front loaded you are effectively shifting that amortization schedule forward to the point that your effective interest rate drops alot. For cars 1x extra principle payments is massive. For a house you need 2x for 2-3 years to really beat that intrest rates. A refinance will shift that schedule again to that next months payment so that company can capture your money in a new amortization schedule. Any investment should be far more researched then what I have done or displayed here.
>>
>>101761296
True. 401k isn't enough. Gotta to do everything else. Hopefully things lighten up because this economic climate is being a real pain. I can't even make myself buy any $SPY shares in my retirement accounts with the way things are acting. I know I shouldn't "time the market" but I've learned to trust my gut instincts from past events I called. Or this could all be psychological and I'm being a complete dumbass. We won't know until after the fact.
>>
So... how''s the market for seniors? Bueno?
>>
File: FADnCScWQAABY5w.jpg (70 KB, 1200x510)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Picrel me at my job
The music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9FqIF600A
>>
>>101760157
I think trump will push for lower interest rates
>>
>>101761432
Good taste. It makes me sad that Juby fell off but I'm glad to see these two always remaining relevant
>>
Yo, is CS still worth it if you somehow miraculously manage to get into a top 10 CS uni? Would you be relatively sheltered by outsourcing or nah?
>>
>>101760993
Only for a couple years, the cheap money will be back before you know it.
The strat is to make a company with a product that solves some big corpo problem, make a mockup and a demo, show it to lots of people and get featured in news articles and hacker news, get vc investment and hire 50 people to actually make the product look somewhat real, then sell the company to Google or any other big tech company.
It's ironically easier for grifters than for people with actual talent and ideas to start a successful tech company.
>>
>>101761368
You're being silly. If you're not planning on retiring in the next 5 years, just dollar cost average.
>>
>>101761491
>The strat is to make a company with a product that solves some big corpo problem, make a mockup and a demo, show it to lots of people and get featured in news articles and hacker news, get vc investment and hire 50 people to actually make the product look somewhat real, then sell the company to Google or any other big tech company.
Would this be considered B2B?

Also, you should know it would be very hard to do solo. But ironically startups have the best success rate when done solo.
>>
>>101761488
Only if you internship yourself to death. Compared to most other colleges your getting pretty close to the same education. Aside from that make sure you join the clubs, frats, and coding camps within the college since alot of the top 25 schools have those to help you build your skill set in a college environment. 3-4 years from now the market might improve. Getting your masters is not a bad plan either but generally you will have a job offer before your senior year kicks off if you have done nothing but internships.
>>
>>101761488
>Yo
Not gonna make it
Just a hunch, are you Indian or Chinese
>>
>>101761528
my parents migrated here from Kazakhstan dawg
>>
>>101761534
>Stan
garbage kys. Go back to the mines retard.
>>
File: aloid.jpg (73 KB, 850x741)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>101761478
Objection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGRXoVJaZoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnjt9uE19I
>>
>>101761526
I see, I am doing my first 2 years at a CC though. You essentially get one internship easily by the department of energy if you're in CC, but unfortunately I have to make my own opportunities. I'll try my best to get internships.
>>101761543
>Go back to the mines retard.
nigger
>>
>>101761488
CS is still worth it if you're good and a workaholic. I (white) went to a meh state school, got into big tech right out of college, and have never had trouble. If your plan is to become a generalist in the easiest parts of the tech stack, work normal hours, or take a couple years off right after college like half of these threads always seem to... who can say?
>>
>>101761550
Let me clarify: fell off from a numbersfag perspective. I still think she's great (her Loveit cover is the definitive English cover IMO)
>>
>>101761559
>got into big tech right out of college, and have never had trouble
I hope you realize that post 2022 this is likely not reasonably possible. I'm assuming you graduated in the 2010s or 2021 or 2022. Now it's akin to post dot-com bubble, everything is getting outsourced. state school kids will likely have to go through 1500 applications for a 60k a year job.
>>
File: reigan.jpg (1.71 MB, 3001x3500)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>101761534
>dawg
Please purge all black slang from your written communication, and we can talk again about your prospects in a career in software
>>
>>101761599
>Please purge all black slang from your written communication
aight bitch
>>
>>101761414
I have not applied since last year after my last interview majorly tanked. I don't have FAGMAN experience so it was pretty bad. I revamped my resume recently so I am going to try again soon (TM).
>>
>>101761589
>60K yr job
I remember when 40k yr job felt like a median income. That is probably why your getting so many applications because for most people that is a decent income. If you had posted a 80-120k job that would be considered live changing money for most and you would have 5x the amount of applications.
>>
>>101761525
Nah, B2B is about selling solutions to solve corpo's made up problems. For that route you're looking to make a product, put minimal work into it, and license it out for a fat stack to as many companies as possible. Going for a sale is about generating hype and delivering just enough to get one of the big dogs to pull their checkbook out.
>>
>>101761617
The thing is, because of inflation. 60k is like 30k in 2000. Shit is expensive, and people have loans.

90k is the new decent upperish middle-class income.
>>
File: Mesmerizer_song.jpg (120 KB, 316x316)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>101761583
Ah, it's good we got that cleared up.
Hopefully now that Juby's channel is doing mid numbers she will have to marry me.
>>
>>101761648
Yeah 90k feels like that. upper class income starts at 150k imo. Anything above that your probably running a business or a top architect / engineer at whatever tech company you work for.

Just 8 years ago 70-90k for positions was upper class income and good money
>>
>>101761665
Yeah, this is pretty unprecedented right? I mean the writing was on the wall but this is getting worse and worse. What is going to happen if nobody can afford to move out of their parent's homes? The optimist in me thinks that people will just create inter-generational homes and just grow families in one house (like asian senpaitachi) and things might work out alright actually.

But otherwise, a cost of living crisis is a fucking disaster. Look at the UK for example, people start to have less kids and spend less, they also get more attuned for crime. Another thing is that people might just start becoming more antisocial as they cant afford to live happily (as they want to) and start fucking up shit (men who dont make enough money to have a girlfriend/wife).
>>
>>101761696
>senpaitachi
I meant families, I wrote the shorthand for that. interesting.
>>
>>101760419
>2 more weeks!
>>
File: 1689952035754931.jpg (933 KB, 2200x1729)
933 KB
933 KB JPG
>>101761706
its fine lol this is an anime website at the end of the day. Retirement or any retirement investment plan is a failure and there is no solution except for hope. How many people are running out of hope now? Getting fit, getting educated and realizing the preppers/conspiracy theorists/2 more week posters where right but we cannot put a timeline on it.
>>
>>101761737
>its fine lol this is an anime website at the end of the day
amen
>Retirement or any retirement investment plan is a failure and there is no solution except for hope
when we get old, there will likely not be enough people to pay for our social welfare. you gotta hope your kids will pay for it or that your 401k does.
>Getting fit, getting educated and realizing the preppers/conspiracy theorists/2 more week posters where right but we cannot put a timeline on it.
Let's not be doomers, We'll probably get out of this, but what reality is is that the "American Dream" of owning a home is becoming more distant. Average first time homebuyer & getting married is in the early 30s now. We might all just be content and happy with extended adolescence and 25 will be the new 18, but the way society is propped up on unhealthy expectations; I dont see standards being lowered.

Anyhow, we're not alone. I think that is comforting, the fact that it is makes me believe we won't have any social unrest. MOST of us will just collectively sigh about it, while a minority riot.
>>
For the ones who have cash in hand: you fucking retards should start looking for cheap property in these desperate times. Write a scraper to look for foreclosures, legal auctions and cheap property being sold by desperate people who can't pay their shit anymore.
I bought a big ass patch of semi rural land for almost half the price the owners were selling it 2 years ago that, while it sucks for agricultural use, might be great for solar energy. If I don't manage to sell it to some investors, I'm building a solar farm myself and hopefully I'll be able to recover the investment in 3-4 years and then make like 4-5x the investment in the lifetime of the solar panels. That and leasing parts of it to install antennas for cellphoned.
>>
>>101761820
>cheap property in these desperate times
brother this is not 2008. property prices are peak right now, i dont know what universe you're in.
>>
>>101760993
There will always be ways to make billions - but good luck recognizing the good ideas without hindsight. As an anecdote I knew someone who had a chance at being one of the first eng on WhatsApp but turned it down, and he would lament his missed opportunity with "It was a chat app written in Erlang on FreeBSD!" I might misremember the exact tech, but the point is that it's only with hindsight that we can ignore the weird tech choices with "Oh, of course there were billions of people who would imminently benefit from wifi-based chat" or any other number of circumstances that made WhatsApp a brilliant idea.
As for millions, there are tons of startups which make that much - and new ones appear which do so all the time. But most of these ideas aren't interesting to entrepreneurs, developers, and certainly not to VCs. There's so much inefficiency in society and a lot of systems are run in horrible ways and only really continue to happen because no one's really willing to challenge the legacy reasons (usually political grift or nepotism). But software people generally don't want to work on those problems. Software people are especially avoidant of any problems which might require some charisma, business acumen, or simple training, trusting and delegation to others.
>>
>>101761842
The post pandemic mania/bull market is over.
I don't live in muttland but during times like these people make huge mistakes and end up being forced to sell everything to avoid poverty. But you have to be patient and look for opportunities.
>>
File: 1722732478550776.png (431 KB, 762x402)
431 KB
431 KB PNG
>>101761820
This is where the average /g/tard is at with investments lets not kid ourselves
>>
>>101760993
wdym ask ycomb? r/ycombinator

the age is not over but its softened. gone are the days of huge rounds ez. but ai stuff is still early. very early
>>
>>101761491
anyone have any ideas? I would be willing to work on it
>>
>be me
>know what the s&p is
>point my 401k at it and max it
>retire in 10 years
lol imagine working 50 years in this because the government told you to.
>>
Speaking of ideas, does anyone think a calendar app mixed with a notes app could sell well?
>>
>>101761820
>If I don't manage to sell it to some investors, I'm building a solar farm myself and ho
I read of one guy who made a lot of money selling land not by building stuff on it, but getting the paperwork done so wind turbines could be built on it, then selling that plot. energy companies then bought the land cus they didnt want to go through all the beauracratic bs cus he did it for them
>>
>>101762286
it exists, its called notion
>>
>>101762286
Google Calendar already has a toolbar on the right side which lets you pull out a pane for Google Keep. (I assume Microsoft has something nearly-identical for their suite.) Regardless of how you feel about those products, those companies have the resources to copy anything innovative you actually do manage to come up with.
>>
>>101762291
>getting the paperwork done so wind turbines could be built on it, then selling that plot
I guess I could do something similar, but that seems to require a lot of technical knowledge that I don't have. But I do know who to talk to regarding land use, permissions and stuff...
>>
>>101761143

Is your country one of those places where your employer will sue you or something if you quit? I have never heard of anything like that happening in Canada or the US.
>>
>>101762299
>>101762306
Oh well, that sucks, but those apps keep all the data online. I was thinking about making one by and for myself that keeps data locally. But I guess that'd be a lot of effort for no gain whatsoever.

>>101762336
No. I just want them to fire me for that severance and unemployment money. If I leave I don't get any of that shit.
>>
>>101762358
There is a market for offline tools like that, but they seem focused on privacy and are hard to monetize. I think you'd effectively be selling to individuals, and anything like that you pretty much have to do open-source/source-available and hope that you can think of some way to incentivize people to actually pay you on top of it
>>
>>101761488
no, give up. Become a truck driver
>>
What if your product mommy looks like this
>>
Imagine she's breathing down your neck with her cute tanned armpits exposed. Anyone would turn into a 10x engineer overnight.
>>
>get message from recruiter I previously talked to
>"hey how are you doing today?"
Just get to the fucking point retard
>>
>>101763649
I wish any of the PMs I ever had were hot. I'd absolutely trade a couple hours of dev work per day on their pet project for... something in return
>>
I have to go into office today.
I really don't want to go.
I make such little money bros. I will never be able to afford to buy a wife. I honestly want to kill myself. I can't understand doing this for 30 more years and then just dying of cancer in a hospital or something. What is the point
>>
File: 1708267030175625.jpg (89 KB, 800x853)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>101763676
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKvX3Bg6KM
>>
>>101763794
>I will never be able to afford to buy a wife
You can't afford a flight to SEA?
>>
>>101763806
I only hear horror stories about guys who try to do this. You think these SEA women are naive and don't understand what is happening when it's actually the exact opposite, you're the naive one getting played.
>>
>>101763818
>You think these SEA women are naive and don't understand what is happening when it's actually the exact opposite, you're the naive one getting played.
Nice projection bro.
>>
File: F_9STEMasAACMK4.jpg (41 KB, 1080x503)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>101763863
>>
>>101763794
Switch it up. Do literally anything your mind can scratch together that sounds like an alternative. If you even think of replying to this post with the idea that there are no other options, then just go ahead and neck.
>>
>>101763863
Yeah this shit has been going on for decades but the SEA women are totally oblivious and definitely don't have a game plan at all.
>>
>>101763881
There are no options. I've spent the last 8 months playing an MMO because I figured even a fake and artificial sense of progression was better than nothing but now even that is boring. I can't fall for meme shit like "learn a language" or "start playing an instrument" because I already did all that stuff while you guys were still in your reddit atheism stage of life.
>>
>>101763877
same goes to arabs, russians, africans and so on
why would one marry a nation that hate them?
>>
>>101764037
What nation doesn't hate white men?
>>
>lied on resume to say I worked on a family farm for years
>I lied to cover the huge gap on my resume of unemployment and IT courses
>did this because I was so desperate for a job and was about to go insane
>now I’m offered and have to do security clearance
>all forms and documentations I submitted don’t show me working on a farm
>my manager is my professional reference on the security application
>they say that integrity is a big part of getting security clearance
guys what the fuck do I do? Do I confess to my manager that I didn’t work on a farm and that I only said it to get hired? otherwise the truth may come out when she gets questions by the security people and I’m shown to be a liar
>>
>>101764413
Bro you fucked up, they do not care that you did not have a job why would you lie about that.
>>
How hard is it to switch from data science/engineering to software development?
I want a comfy dev job, what stack should I learn
>>
>>101764488
the lack of jobs in my resume for 5+ years was bad and going to make it harder to get work. everyone here said that it’s fine to lie on a resume because everyone does it and no one cares but this might actually matter
>>
>>101764522
Just tell them exactly that and they might be able to rectify that. But this does matter that they get every detail and wrinkle of your butthole if they need that too.
>>
>be web shit developer for shit product
>got assigned by management to assist with prod deployment
>find it’s just 4 hours
>suddenly shifted to next day because urgent hotfix required
>also it’s the whole night now
>start work in the morning, end in the evening, had dinner and to head down on site
>finished deployment and reached home at almost 11 the next day, get the day off so finally got some rest
>wake up at like 3 in the afternoon
>oh hey uh there’s another urgent deployment gonna need you head down overnight tomorrow again
yeah fuck this shit time to look for another job
>>
>>101765419
Are you salary exempt or do you get paid the same regardless of the hours worked?
>>
>>101765509
People get overtime pay?
>>
>>101765540
Only if your job does salary exempt. But that is normally straight time instead of actual overtime with big companies.
>>
>>101761665
>upper class income
kek upper class does not care about "income"
upper class means you don't need to work at all and your elite lifestyle would not be impacted
upper class only works if they find it "entertaining" and to mock plebs who need to work to not starve
so funny plebs thinking 150k a year makes them upper class
go back to your cage slave
>>
why is it acceptable for nocoders to lead or manage software projects? makes no sense trying to explain anything technical to a roastie
>>
>>101765882
Anon the distinction is upper class income is wagie's in cagies but paid more.
Rich people then Old money
Rich people will be lucky to pass on there wealth for the next 4 generations. Old money has so much wealth that there isn't a single family member that can burn that money in there life time. Then there is Royalty that owns countries and whole industries like oil barons
>>
>>101764413
idiot. also, public trust isn't a security clearance.
>>
The amount of delusion and greed around AI in corporate spaces is really funny. Just put it in anything and everything even when it makes no sense.
It's like every time they see those two letters their dicks get hard and their eyes turn into cartoon money symbols.
>>
>>101765932
shut up autist, write this javascript backend already
t. manager
>>
>>101766017
nah upper class means a given society's highest class, in the past it was aristocracy, today it's rich people
you are confusing upper class with upper-middle class
upper-middle class is indeed the well paid wagies
>>
>>101766167
Yeah that might be it the confusion on my part.
>>
>>101760340
>Besides alot of companies are moving out of china.
Can confirm.
t. worked as a contractor in a China to US migration of a chink fintech
>>
>>101764515
lol
>>
everyone keeps saying jeets cheat in coding interviews, but how do you even cheat on them if you have to share your screen, and have your camera on?
>>
File: 1722458224830-2.gif (3.85 MB, 498x471)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB GIF
I think I'll get fired soon.
31 years old.
No wife.
No home.
No kids.
Cannot even begin to imagine looking for a job. I simply can't interview. I am incapable of being a dancing monkey anymore. Fuck leetcode and answering interviewer questions.

I'll just live off my cash until it runs out then kill myself. GG this life was a shit run. If there is a God I'll flip him off and curse him. Send me to hell you piece of shit, I don't care.
>>
>>101766428
Most companies don't and they are adapting. Just like educational knowledge and certifications for IT. Now its just much easier to filter for both and interview questions based upon those basic exam topics that any retard that actually learned the material should know.
>>
>>101766428
how do you even get an interview? I can't get any.
>>
File: 1706516742306846.jpg (79 KB, 719x798)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>101766608
>>
File: 1723037587539.jpg (80 KB, 976x850)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>unfortunately blah blah blah
>but we would like to stay in touch
>>
>>101766481
>Send me to hell you piece of shit
it will be very painful...
>>
>>101766481
>31 years old.
>No wife.
>No home.
>No kids.
Then why do you care about getting fired? Just go on neetbux and live frugally. If you have no wife, home, kids or anything else, what do you need money for? Consuuming mindlessly? For me that has kind of lost it's charm after a decade of loneliness.
>>
>>101766481
>I simply can't interview. I am incapable of being a dancing monkey anymore.
Don't be a sourpuss.
Don't criticize.
Be relatable.
Firm handshake.
Use the exact words, "I want this job."

Was that so hard?
>>
I'm 27 and burn out I don't want to work anymore...
>>
>team building exercise
>one of the activities is literally just tic-tac-toe
>manager keeps insisting that there is a way for one of the teams to win
>says the fact that we keep drawing means we are doing it wrong
>refuses to move on until someone loses
>does not give us an account to charge this to (so it steals budget from the thing I'm actually trying to get done)
>>
>>101766669
sometimes they're actually serious.
i got the job before my current one after being rejected. they reached out a couple months after and offered me an interview again.
>>
>apply to new qa position
>pajeet is first interviewer
>"anon do the needful and resolve ths leetcode"
>fine.png
>get nervous
>"it's taking longer than expected eh anon?"
>get to final interview with manager
>"anon u got 3/5 in leetcode and we need more than 4"
>"ok that's fine"
fast forward 1 week
>"congrats anon u got the position"
>mfw
>>
File: 1723038919948.jpg (85 KB, 1142x1153)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>101766954
Hey congrats
>>
>>101766954
this means someone else (or multiple other people) got offered the job and they all rejected the offer
personally i would i also reject it in that situation, but im a petty faggot who cares a lot about muh dignity tbqhwy
>>
>>101766608
You might want to search more broadly. I finally stop using filters like Remote or even a specific job title a couple weeks ago and have gotten 5 interviews since. This was after about 2.5 months of getting no interviews.
>>
I work helpdesk and don't do anything most days. But will have a Security+ certification soon, how do I become a "Jr SOC Analyst"?
We do use things like mimecast for cloud email security, rubik for data recovery, palo alto for a VPN, crowd strike (lol) as an endpoint protection and I have access to the Microsoft admin center and entra as an admin but my coworkers do 90% of the work in those tools and I only do small amounts of work with these things.

Should I just add these things to my resume and say I know how to block emails and run reports in crowdstrike so please hire me/
>>
what are some leetcode/dsa/systems design/tech interview prep resources? i dont mind paying and was considering paying for neetcode pro but the faggot jacked the price up maybe i should just pirate it
>>
>>101767133
I got AlgoExpert when it was heavily priced off, and just did like 140 of their problems. The explanatory videos are kind of meh, they never go indepth into patterns, only explain how to solve it, but it was enough for me to get a basic grasp of the most used DS + common algorithms.
Then I just grinded the fuck out of Codesignal, which is free.
>>
>>101767022
what are you going to do if they actually make you go in person
>>
I hate working for private equity
>>
>>101767375
as in work for a company with private equity or a company that works with private equity companies?
>>
>>101767415
As in my corporate overlord is private equity so the former
>>
>>101767429
just gotta be patient for that ipo one day nigga
>>
File: ass.jpg (64 KB, 324x311)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>101755915
The recruiter just called and said that they loved me and expect to extend an offer by the end of the day

Pensive excitement. Been unemployed since April, so I want to wait until I get the offer email to get excited.
>>
File: IMG_1229.png (335 KB, 745x680)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>>101767469
>tfw I missed that boat and the RSUs because private equity took the company off the market before I was hired
What was my sin to deserve this hell
>>
>>101767482
What position? Grats anon
>>
is it okay to ask an interviewer during coding round for a minute of thinking time? they always say "think out loud", but with some things i first need to think them out before i can verbalize them. like thinking of a recursive stack or something.
>>
I thought the code quality would get better when I stopped working with jeets but it's equally bad if not worse at times
>>
File: file.png (2.18 MB, 1284x1911)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
Can I get a comfy defense job now?
>>
>>101767645
Be careful not to slip out your power level when thinking out loud
>>
>>101767333
I'm going to dress in formal clothing and do the best that I can to persuade them to give me the job during my interview.
>>
>>101767585
Thanks. Looks like the position in the job description Sys Admin, but in the interview they described it as a vulnerability manager, or whatever the job title would be. My role is to run vulnerability reports and fix them on the reported servers. I've never worked a cybersecurity job before so I am very excited.
>>
>>101767678
fake news, but that's how you get them cozy defense jobs
>>
>>101766975
Thanks anon

>>101766986
>reject offer because muy dignity
yeah thankfully I don't care 'bout that
>>
>>101767740
good luck anon. hope you get the job
>>
Worked Geek Squad (install) for a year, should I find a help desk monkey job / do those still exist or are they all Indians? Can't really think of what to do next unless I can somehow make a business doing HT/PC installs & support (dire need in my area, but idk shit about starting business).
>>
what job can i get with CompTIA trifecta with no job experience?
>>
>>101767853
Deskside support which is above helpdesk atleast so 50-70k depending upon your area.
>>
>>101767862
can i get 2 more suggestions if deskside support don't hire me or i can't find
>>
>>101760992
Why are you intentionally trying to break your mother’s heart you worthless fucking idio
Just tell her ok mom I’m sure something will come along and that’s it
>no mom you must drown in the abyss of despair with me
Be a man for once in your life Jesus christ
>>
>>101767879
Sys admin unfortunately should be server side but companies make it the catch all since you will be messing with Active Directory and account management.

Doesn't hurt to apply for any networking / VOIP / Telecommunication jobs they may just hire you if you know that material inside and out.

Honestly just apply to any IT job if you have just 1 thing there looking for. No need to be shy on your applications but you may still have to suffer in the helpdesk for a year before they trust you with big boy equipment.
>>
My friend just realized he's just collecting a paycheck at his job after worrying for half a year that he has been dogging it. Comes out, he's the highest performing guy on the team.

This is what happens to people that leave companies that force 80+ hour work weeks and immediate turn around times.
>>
File: 1715433115235443.jpg (19 KB, 500x458)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
i can't find any entry level jobs
>>
>>101760992
10 months unemployed. What is your leetcode rank? What software have you made? At least get some call center remote job to bring in cash or you will atrophy.

Look for data analyst jobs and then claim to future employees you worked on ML.
>>
>>101768106
same bro
>>
>>101761368
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

Don't be a retard. Invest always; don't time the market.
Scroll out the sp500 from 5d to ytd and look at the gains.
Don't be dumb. Invest as often as you can regardless of what's happening in the news cycle.
>>
>>101761459
Fed is supposed to be independent of whichever bitch is in the wh.
>>
>>101759963
I don't always test. But when I do its in production. And usually just before a long vacation. Bye.
>>
>>101761488
Absolutely. Plenty of jobs for people that get good. But that's the same for every field.

Do CS if you like CS, no question. You'll get a job if you know your data structures and can debug problems.
>>
>scrolling through job posts
>meta post
>cool, time to submit app
>"you have already applied to this position"
MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>101761894
Supply is severly constrained in the US. Interest rates are much higher, so nobody with an existing 3% loan wants to move and trade for a 7% one. Or they can't afford to trade their loans because of the monthly payments.

Undersupplied market means prices are high since there are no competing homes for sale.

Everyone is stacking cash waiting, which means that once interest rates lower, people are going to bid up prices until they can't afford the homes again.

Best strategy is to buy now and refinance in 5 years of you can afford to hold on until rates drop, but with so many layoffs that's a risky strategy.

I want to buy. But I have a $4300/month daycare bill so it makes little sense to drop $5000 more per month on a mortgage when my existing one is $1500.
>>
>>101763902
Get any job, dumbass. Working at A Verizon store would be infinitely better than dumb hobbies that don't do anything for you.
>>
>>101763902
>I've spent the last 8 months playing an MMO
same lol except I have a wfh job
I feel like I should be getting a 2nd job or doing a masters in CS or something to progress my career but I can't be arsed tbqh desu
>>
Buddy of mine is going to have a pizza party after the company he's working at just laid off a whole department. This shit truly writes itself.
>>
>>101768544
I'm just catching up on anime and jerking off during 1/3 of my wfh shift. I get up an hour late despite it being in my room and stop an hour early to start the next episode generally. I still close off stories faster than everyone else and have a bunch of meetings I have to input into so either everyone else is also fucking around or I'm a 10x engineer despite being a retard.
>>
>>101761432
>official english version
The audacity.
>>
>>101766986
So not reject the offer. Take it! Look while employed if you want to find another position, but in the meantime you'll get cash and new skills.
>>
Just realized I’ve been walking around the office all morning with a hat that has a huge cum stain on it
>>
>>101768644
Kind of the same here. I make sure at every planning that the work I get assigned to can be done the first few days of the two week sprint and no one is questioning me kek. Meanwhile the rest my team seem to be struggling to complete their planned tickets sprint after sprint. Really have no idea what’s going on
>>
>>101768709
Yeah, I hate when that happens.
>>
Anyone else get really made whenever people challenge you? My manager got annoyed and said the results were wrong for something I did, so in an hour I created a whole ass dashboard showcasing the filter breakdown and how I am not wrong. He hit me with an "oh lol, sorry you are right" after looking at it for an hour. Dumb fuck. (I know it is an overreaction but I really don't like when people come up to me so rudely for a supposed mistake that they didn't even verify beforehand)
>>
I've done the initial interview for a software dev internship, but it was over 2 weeks ago and I haven't received a response.

Should I follow up and say "I'm currently reviewing my schedule and would need a response" or do I just move on?
>>
https://construo.io/questions/361/how-can-we-get-business-for-project-management-consultant-we-are-from-pune-india

saars....
>>
>>101768275
Crowdstrike employee of the month
>>
>>101768868
Id ypu follow up, don't demand a response. Say something like, "Thank you again for the time. I enjoyed blahblah. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns about me I can address. I am excited about the potential to work with the team."
>>
>>101768624
The last company I worked at let 12% of the company go in December and one of the execs showed up in a jacuzzi during the middle of the meeting telling everyone that things are going great. I heard they had more layoffs in May and weren't supposed to be making anymore money until last month (if interest rates went down).
>>
>>101769160
That's perfect, thank you.
>>
>>101766834
>>says the fact that we keep drawing means we are doing it wrong
Yeesh, imagine being so smooth-brained you can't even figure out optimal tic-tac-toe
>>
>>101769333
These guys don't even try hiding their shit anymore. They really shouldn't be surprised why anyone isn't entertained with their shenanigans.
>>
>>101767482
Well done, anon. Hope it works out.
>>
File: 1711427218501030.jpg (217 KB, 616x625)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>get a response on a job application
>it's for a company that is different than the one listed on the job post
>email is sent from a generically named @gmail account and includes cyrillic characters on the response email
>>
I decided to become a data analyst, there is a comptia Data+ certificate and I think it might be useful to get or at least study the material.
I already have the Comptia A+ but for the Data+ there's less free material available (such as Prof. Messer). I noticed a Udemy courser for $74.
Is it worth getting?
>>
>>101767645
As long as you keep it brief, I think it's fine. The thinking out loud is supposed to be so the interviewer knows you're not completely stuck and can keep you from going too far off track. It's not meant to be a requirement in itself - though I'm sure there are retarded interviewers nowadays who demand you do it just because they think that's what they're supposed to make you do.
>>
>>101768275
Literally every developer at my company. An when they break the regression tests I'm the one who has to dig through logs to figure out who did it and follow up with them
>>
>>101769514
Honestly just know SQL like the back of your hand. Know joins, know aliases, know the window and analytic functions. Know ctes, temp tables.

Then learn pandas and numpy and matplotlib for post sql crunching, but more importantly know Excel and pivot tables. It's so easy to query and dump into excel, make a pivot, then make a chart from the pivot to get quick and easy answers.
>>
>>101769496
Seems legit. Be sure to download and open every attachment, click all links, and enter your passwords when prompted.
>>
>>101769565
ok thanks, I have already started on SQL.
>>
File: 1717094449658747.png (51 KB, 207x243)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
Been waiting like 2 weeks to hear back from a job I did two good interviews for. They even said when I could start a few days ago which is apparently a very good thing, but otherwise it's just radio silence.
Should I "threaten" them by saying I've been getting some offers from other companies and would like to hear back on their decision by the end of the week? I still see the position as open and at this point I think they just want to keep my around as a backup
>>
>>101766770
>Don't be a sourpuss.
>Don't criticize.
>Be relatable.
nta but yes. im a natural born hater how am i not gonna do these things?
>>
Now that crud web sharting is never going to recover, how do I learn embedded? I've already done a decent bit on arduino, but I imagine most places are doing custom assembly and C programs for specific hardware
>inb4 just make your own drivers and learn it bro
>>
>my area got no jobs
should i start looking into different cities? but that would be like 1-2 hour commute and i don't even have a car
>>
The more I work, the dumber I become and less productive I get
>>
>>101769965
>how do I learn embedded?
It was over before you even asked.
>>
>>101769642
Same boat bro, they even scheduled all three interview stages as soon as possible, since they wanted me there with little delay, went to the final one on Thursday when they told me they'd come to a decision on Monday.

Since then radio silence, a rejection seems too much to ask : ^).
>>
Anyone else here executive/director? In these threads it is always devs complaining about managers, where my fellow managers at I want to whine about how all the devs annoy the hell out ofme.
>>
File: 1704751552833595.png (124 KB, 450x443)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>ticket returned to me
>"found some errors"
>refuses to elaborate
>leaves
>>
>>101769965
>how do I learn embedded?
Why do you want to learn such god-forsaken and badly paid area?

>I imagine most places are doing custom assembly and C programs for specific hardware
lol no, most places write shitty application code that already makes use of an abstraction layer provided by the vendor, may wanna take a look at a firmware development
>>
>>101770869
i do this to fuck with interns
>>
File: 1710376249666088.png (203 KB, 785x749)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>101771014
faggot
>>
>>101771081
if you're an intern its somewhat of a test to see if you have the balls to ask questions
>>
>>101764515
give up, the age of comfy dev jobs is over
>>
no one ever replies to my posts
am i shadowbanned or something
>>
Concerned a company that made me an offer is going to rescind it because of a minor lie about a position 11 years ago because they're starting an extensive background check using a third party company (Hireright). How fucked am I?
>>
>>101771151
>have the balls to ask questions
will never understand this mentality. slave mindset.
>>
>>101771214
well how did they find out about your lie in the first place?
>>
>employer does 3 day/week RTO
>employer announces major cost saving initiatives
>employer plans to ramp up outsourcing even more
it's literally over for 90% of white collar workers, including tech.
>>
>>101771214
they won't care unless its an egregious lie.
>>101771208
just follow your dreams and be yourself.
>>
File: 1711146376583663.gif (773 KB, 480x360)
773 KB
773 KB GIF
The worst part about being able to keep track of website traffic to your portfolio website is knowing for a fact if a recruiter/hiring manager actually looked at it.
>>
>>101771232
They didn't yet but HireRight is asking for a contact of every previous employer so I fear they will
>>
>>101771240
I wrote that I quit but in reality I was fired, I was there from 2011 to 2013. Is that egregious?
>>
>>101771226
you work for a company, not yourself. you spending hours figuring something out instead of 20 minutes asking a senior costs said company money. if you dont like it, dont wageslave.
>>
File: 1673892427793652.jpg (117 KB, 1024x768)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>101769488
Thanks. Just got an email about my details so they can send me a work laptop, so I'm going to take that as an acceptance letter.

Thanks to this thread btw. I've been posting here for support throughout my job search. Been grinding away at some certs while on the job search, got the Sec+ and some other shit. You guys have been great cheering me on and shit. sincere thanks.
>>
I have an AS in CS in the USA and am currently working as a software dev. Quitting to finish my BS CS seems quite dumb when I'm already making more than the average junior dev and unemployment is quite high. Should I just do WGU while working and get the piece of paper?
Sucks because I got accepted to top 30 state universities but attending them would require me to quit my job and have no guarantee of getting another should I need one
>>
>>101763794
You don't want a wife.
>>
>>101759963
how viable is it to leave the country and not tell your employer? I wanna live somewhere else for a few months but the most they allow to work outside of the country is a few weeks
>>
>>101771269
they do those thorough background checks for regulatory reasons to see that you're not a terrorist. that they're doing the full background check to begin with means you're likely getting an offer.
>>
>>101761696
Look at the UK and you'll see it's unlikely the gov will intervene in any meaningful capacity bc their loyalty lies with the rich and (sometimes) elderly
>>
>>101760395

I’m late but make sure you give that guy a shout out, by name, with whatever feedback mechanism they have. Good karma
>>
>>101764515
data science is way easier
>>
>>101765932
company culture issue, where I work it's unlikely they'll allow anyone who doesn't have some exp as a dev to manage devs
>>
>>101768644
everyone else is fucking around
>>
>>101771250
Just tell them you don't have one. It was over a decade ago; who expects you to keep references for that long.
>>
Its just endless tickets. I purposely worked late just so I can finish everything faster and they just make more shit up for me to do. I quit I fucking hate being a dev. I just want to work at most 8 hours a day and then leave. I'm going back to QA.
>>
>>101767482
congrats anon
>>
thinking about betting some money on drumpf to win just for my amusement. i see no reason it won't just be a repeat of 2016 again.
>>
>>101771649
I feel like everyone is retarded or I'm a 10x that doesn't know it. In meetings where the senior and principal devs are struggling to think of a solution, I've on multiple occasions dropped what seems like a very obvious answer and they take like a minute to compute it and then act like it's a gigabrain moment. Are they pretending to be retarded to give me, some nobody jr dev, the opportunity to give some input to boost my confidence? You know how lions pretend their cubs scared them or bit them hard to boost their confidence, it feels like that. I genuinely can't tell if I'm the butt of a massive joke.
There'd be these bugs that no one can replicate or find a solution for that I give a shot and I've got the solution in 5 minutes tops. Am I just good or is everyone just so behind the times? One of my colleagues praised me for using some language feature he never knew existed...its fucking basic af but he acted like it was a big deal. People have written 900 lines of heavily nested slop because I guess they have the memory of a goldfish. A basic refactor once dropped 90% of the lines because the retard tried to reinvent the wheel instead of using LINQ.
I've only been a dev for 9 months and the backlog of bugs is already gone, some were years old, we've shipped stuff twice as fast and fixed tonnes of shitty code. My humble explanation is that the times have changed and the skill requirement for new devs is way higher than the ones in the past. We know way more, we're way more up to date on best practises, we've done more personal projects, touched more code, done stuff 10x more complex in a fraction of the time. It's like that 9 or something year old kid that did some skateboarding trick Tony Hawk was famous for, you guys look back at the older devs as GOATs but they were literally in a farmer's league.
Just my 2 cents. I'm getting the complete opposite of the imposter syndrome and this is my best guess as to why.
>>
>>101772055

there's more immigrants now

plus in places that democrats run they could've been giving niggers social housing in key locations for the elections or giving people government jobs

thats how they get votes
>>
why do people ask if your calendar is up to date? When would it never not be up to date? I don't get it.
>>
>>101772095
Just inferiority complex you should examine the rest of your life too, very common amongst high achievers and ppl on 4ch
People at my job don't even know how to use grep, it is what it is, they pretend everyone's going to super skilled and working at FAANG but most are maintenance programmers doing the bare minimum
>>
>>101771898
He finally figured it out! You don't get promoted for doing more work either. Do Just Enough To Not Get Fired. Simple as.
>>
Pajeets are making my job hell right now.

Things used to be fine, as in, I'm actually good at my job (coding) considering how I've done in all my jobs, and in this one I was doing well too, as in, delivering good code, things work, etc.

However, I have to get our app deployed in some server that is designed and managed by pajeets. And it's not a typical deployment. They barely speak english and try to hide it by giving one word answers. They are having me fill form after form on a stupid website that they made, that is bugged asf, and every time I'm done they find some minor mistake (eg some field had to be in uppercase) that I didn't know about and I have to start over. There's also things that I just can't do bc I have no permissions or I get errors bc the page is bugged.

They are blaming me for the delay on this, and the guy in charge of the project is also a pajeet so he believes them.

There are white people involved and they know the pajeets are idiots, but they don't know what's happening exactly, and probably think it's my fault somewhat since that's what pajeets are saying.

The pajeets version of events is that they're telling me everything I have to do and I still get it wrong over and over.

What do I do about this? How do I tame the pajeets?

There's a huge chance that some of the stuff they say is "wrong" doesn't even matter when it comes to getting it to work. But they just have been told it has to be that way. And all jeets know to do is follow specific instructions. If you ask why they're lost.
>>
>>101771214
kek m8 dont worry about it, i put a shitload of lies on my cv, and so did pretty much at least half of every person on earth. background checks are mostly there to see if you have criminal background, they wont end your application if you added an extra year of experience, or sugarcoated some job titles here and there.

now if you straight up lied about working somewhere, that could cause some problems if they actually look into it, but nobody has the fucking time to actually do that. at most they send out an email to the reference you've added which asks for confirmation that you've worked there.
>>
>>101772341
by the way when I say mistake I don't mean code with typos. of course that's not going to compile. i mean things on the forms they're having me fill

if that's for some automated process and it has to be exact, that's fine, but it should be properly documented, should let you edit without doing it all over again, the page shouldn't be bugged, and the pajeets should help instead of giving me one word answers when i ask them. and the process could probably be more efficient bc this is not normal at all

btw today they ddi it again and it was something that they told me previously was fine. lol
>>
>>101772095
lol what industry is this?
>>
>>101771301
I wouldn't bother, I would just keep grinding work experience. It's also the kind of thing where you'd finish the BS in a couple years and discover no one even cares about it anymore
>>
>>101772095
lmao i had a job like this

if the salary is good just enjoy the comfy job with low expectations tb h. no one is going to know when you look for future jobs and you can portray it as a great team you learned a lot from. lmao
>>
>>101771898
It's never worth grinding in a ticket-based system. If all your work is related to a few, large projects, then sure - grind some now to loaf a little later. (Of course, don't communicate that you're doing this.) But there is no "now" or "later" in a ticket-based system
>>
>>101760482
make something to earn money instead.
>>
>>101771493

DS is a job where I've almost never given a good enough answer. Something is always wrong with a forecast, or ops doesn't believe a model because it reveals they suck. Dev work looks nice sometimes. Just implement a feature, and if it works it is accepted.

Not the orig anon to which you replied. Just another DS dreaming of the other side.
>>
>>101772097
This.

I think Kamala is one of theworst candidates I've ever seen, and yet I fully expect her to win.

The kicker is literally all thr Republicans had to do was nominate not Trump. Literally anyone elae would stand a better chance. But no. They are retarded and nominated the one person most women won't vote forbecause he once said, "grab em by the pussy." Hopeless country.
>>
>>101772341
You have to document extensively. Any time someone isn't doing their job and you think there's a chance they'll try to spin it back on you, you have to document. Doesn't matter if it's email, doesn't matter if it's Slack, doesn't matter if it's meeting minutes, doesn't matter if it's Google Doc comments. Then when you think they're contradicting themselves (or any other form of bullshit) you cite what was previously documented. And if they contest what was documented, you ask why they didn't correct the notes at that point in time.
In a sane environment this should be sufficient. Don't get me wrong - a retarded-enough environment can warp reality to make all of this useless where you still take the fall but then you being removed from the situation would be a mercy.
>>
>>101772693
trump has been the significant favorite to win even before all the stuff that happened recently
>>
>>101772239
That makes life too boring.
>>
>>101772341
>>101772375
Have you been taking initiative in communicating the problems you continually run into? You nede to get the pajeets in a scenario where they say (in writing) what has to happen, that way when it doesn't work there's proof they were wrong. You also have to include what you submitted, either with screenshots or something to demonstrate you were following directions. I had a similar scenario, not with pajeets, where some client kept throwing a fit because I was doing something wrong. Eventually I got them to reveal what needed to happen, and when it still didn't work they very quickly shut up about everything. Continually demonstrate that their provided instructions do not work and that is the cause of all the delays. Likely the higher ups still won't care but it at least gets you out of the hottest seat.
>>
>>101772712
makes sense tb h

i think tomorrow i will go through my conversations with the pajeets and take notes of what went wrong each time and why, and do what you said from now on

>>101772773
not really. whenever they said something was "wrong" my focus was on getting it right. right now i dont even know if most of the times it was my fault or theirs

maybe the process is fucked up but, that aside, i have been missing stuff in the documentation or something. that did happen one time that i know of

however i know that if i start going through our convo to compile a list of what they did wrong, i can get a bunch of examples of them going silent when they don't know something, responding with one word when asked for help, telling me to ask some other pajeet, and that other pajeet doing the same and so on, and definitely things that were not in the guides they gave me and only told me after i had submitted it

by the way the documentation is also written by pajeets jfl
>>
>>101772095
There's levels to this. There's no absolute "10x". If I put you next to Jeff Dean then you're not a 10x unless he's 10,000x. Likewise, some of the old devs actually were the GOATs. Try writing parts of the Linux kernel and see how far you get - even if you allow yourself to use the last 30 years of tools and info. Try inventing version control, the cloud, the protocols needed for me to even send you this condescending message.
It sounds like you're in a workplace below your caliber but your youth/inexperience is leading you to believe you've experienced the whole world and all time. Your choices are to either seek higher-caliber workplaces or to remain a genius of squalor.
>>
>>101772723
Yes, but I don't expect that to last. The media complex has already scrubbed most of the information about Kamala being the most Left candidate from the 2020 primaries, and we're going on 2 weeks with 0 actual questions of her and by anyone in media.

Meanwhile we have silly Trump not focusing on highlighting her policy failures like Afghanistan and the border. Instead he's discussing whether she is Black or Indian. That nonsense turns off voters that want someone professional. Maybe my wife is a corner case, but I think she's pretty mainstream.
>>
File: 1655083791304.png (98 KB, 256x350)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>Pajeets wearing expedition grade puffy jackets in an air conditioned office
>>
>>101773041
can they afford the canada goose jackets or is that just the asians
>>
>>101773041
makes sense they're used to working in the sweat pits of bang galore
>>
>>101772654
Every dev I know works way harder on less transferable stuff than data scientists do (far more outdated shit in dev)
It would only make sense to swap if you are getting paid much more money
>>
>>101770781
ok i went ahead and did something like this. i used way nicer wording and just wanted to check in for an update on the timeline. let's see what they say. honestly wouldn't even be that bad if they skipped me for it just so i could stop thinking about it at least. i feel like the fact that the posting is still up means they already did but were to retarded to tell me, even though they said they would either way
>>
>>101772654
>Just implement a feature, and if it works it is accepted
Not always that simple in practice. A lot of times the asks are ambiguous and it's on you to drive the discussion of what "works" even is. Even if we just define it as "not crashing from bugs" these can appear down the line and still be your responsibility. There's a reason code history is called "blame". There are also a ton of tech combinations (or bugs legitimately in your own code) which effectively become unbounded amounts of work. "Unbounded" here meaning that you need to work around the clock and pray it gives before you have to divert onto an only-slightly-less-shitty path which will add a lot of other pain going forward. It doesn't mean that all the work you were originally supposed to do presently disappears.
To be clear, I don't think any of the above are free of parallels in DS. My point is that both sides are trash.
>>
>>101773359
I'm not planning to switch proactively. Mostly I wonder if I could get hired as a dev if I ever get caught up in a layoff or want to make a change in a couple years. My wife is due in Jan, so I'm not looking to make any changes before that kid is a year or so old.
>>
>>101759963
>What's gonna happen after 1000 years of tech work?
not my problem, I'll retire after 8
>>
I had an interview for what I considered my dream company. It’s a prestigious startup doing exactly what I wanted. The screener call with a founding engineer went really well, the next step was a hackerrank.

He said - you need a 100% to pass this stage. This really put pressure on. 5 mins to go, I have about half of the test cases not passing. I panic, scour the internet and find the solution. Copy and paste it word for word and hit submit. It passes. The test ends.

30 mins later I get a congratulatory email and saying they want to move on with scheduling the next one. I feel so awful and want to rescind my application. I feel silly. I panicked.

The solution is the only form of it that exists on the internet that I could find (pulled from a leetcode forum discussion) so it will be obvious if anyone else pulls the same stunt of if they look up the question. I want to tell them, I’m not sure what to do.
>>
>>101773762
>I had an interview for what I considered my dream company
There's your first mistake
Don't have dreams
>>
>>101766030
source?
>>
>>101773762
Who gives a fuck? No one is ever going to look at that shit again. And even if someone does in the distant future, at that point you'll have yourself on-job. No one is going to fire a good employee because they cheated on the interview. If they care that much about interviews how about they invest in making the process more resilient to googling.
>>
>>101759963

I don't know what to do bros...

>Love current job
>making 60k/yr
>My manager is awesome
>Most collegues are awesome too
>have not recieved a raise in 2 years
>Got an offer for 76k
>bigger company
>higher prestige role

This would be a much easier choice if I legitimately disliked the company but I cannot say that. My time at the company (although stressful at times) has been so positive for the most part. I am a bit salty they have not raised my salary during this time.

If I really like the company, can I just ask for a raise? Could that work?
>>
>>101773869
I would kill you for that job.
>>
>>101773869
>If I really like the company, can I just ask for a raise? Could that work?
Yeah. In general you need to ask for a raise if you want one, and that's likely a big part of why you haven't gotten one. Whether you want to reveal that you've been looking around or not is a call only you can make.
>>
>>101773609
I just think DS is a way easier job from everyone I've talked to
This isn't me being a hater you are actually in a much better position than many devs
>>
>>101773869
Get a second job and figure out
>>
>wfh in defiance while office cucks are back
>manager doesn't care
>basically a ghost do my work unbothered
How do I keep this good thing going? Just continue to deliver high quality work and keep my low profile?
I've been working on my pacing of producing deliverables since I work in bursts and otherwise I cuck myself into doing too much work.
>>
>>101773972
ultra based
>>
>>101773874
You would kill me for the the 60k Job?
>>
>>101773972
>keep my low profile
This. The biggest threat to your situation is the wrong people finding out about it. You gotta tread a fine line between your manager letting you do this while also not talking about what a great job you do and - hey - you should come into the office so your greatness can rub off on others
>>
>apply for like 10 jobs and all the rest is shit/not qualified/probably scam/bad and there's no new ones
>people are applying to 30 to 50 jobs per day
how tf is that possible?? my linkindin is basically dry, im seeing the same job posts.
>>
>>101773986
>>101774015
It's indeed a very fine line. All this bullshit with the economy has me thinking I should do more to solidify my position, but there's not a lot I can really do. I'm just spamming the free money button while it lasts.
>>
>>101773885
I have had a relatively short work history. I have never asked for a raise and I get the sense asking for a raise would put me in an employer's "naughty" list. Am I mistaken?

Suppose I have leverage (job offer, time that I am leaving, etc) and I ask them for a 10k raise. If my employer *thinks* that at most I deserve 7k raise but he agrees to the 10k raise because of my levarage. Wouldn't he put me on a list to replace me?
>>
>>101774075
reading posts by frustrated job seekers is mental health poison
every single one of them is exaggerating and/or omitting critical issues and/or straight out lying and they're massively demoralizing if you take them seriously
>>
>>101774080

here in spain or most euro countries, that would be a problem, because that's actually a reason they could fire you for and legally give you no compensation

you get a month's salary per year you worked at the company when you get fired otherwise. and that makes jobs super comfy and helps to worry less about getting fired

if that's not the case there, definitely spam this hard, it's the most efficient way to make money. they could fire you over some other shit anyway even if you wagiemaxxed like the others
>>
File: amazon-interns-2024.png (2.72 MB, 2190x1406)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB PNG
>>
File: 1722965361861474.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>101774183
>talented individuals
>>
>>101774183
you honestly can't make this up
>>
>>101774183
why is it that pajeetas get fat as shit when they come to america but all the men keep their legs thinner than my arms
>>
>>101774243
they are fat in india too
>>
>>101774243
third/fourth world brown women are all fat as shit i think. places like egypt have highest obesity rates.
>>
>>101774149
That is comfy as I've been here a decade, we don't have that, but I doubt they'd fire me without warning. It's in defiance of the higher ups but not my manager. Me and few others have slipped through the cracks (though I may have slipped through the cracks the most).
>>
>>101774183
I DON'T WANT TO GO ON A COMPANY SANCTIONED HIKE WITH YOU FAGGOTS
>>
>>101760375
bad news will come to you by doorbell.
>>
>>101761852
> "It was a chat app written in Erlang on FreeBSD!"
That's a good thing, your friend is a fucking retard larper.
>>
>>101774115
There's a lot of nuance in any human interaction so I don't want to promise you there's no chance of negative repercussions, but in general pay negotiation is a normal part of employment. It's like talking about conflict in a relationship. Shit sucks and could dissolve the relationship but the alternative is ultimately continuing to live with whatever issue.
If you frequently ask them for more money while never offering more value (taking on more responsibilities, having clear evidence of positive impact, etc.) then maybe they get fed up with you, but I don't think asking once after 2 years is excessive. Could this put a target on your back for layoffs? Maybe, but who's to say you wouldn't have gotten laid off anyway? Alternatively maybe this interaction makes them aware of how much value you do provide and actually helps in the case of layoffs. If you ask for 10k more and they only think you deserve 7k, they're capable of only offering 7k. This kind of negotiation is common. Negotiation is a valuable skill in general (but if you spend some time looking into it don't go overboard with it). They could also hear your ask and agree to it if you're willing to do X in the next Y months to demonstrate your value. And this kind of thing brings nuance in again ("will they hold up their end of the bargain or are they just trying to milk me before firing me?).
My intent isn't to scare you; just to demonstrate that there's a lot of ways the situation isn't one-size-fits-all. Try to put yourself into your boss's shoes and understand what their incentives are. If you had a report who was good for multiple years and then asked for a raise, would your first reaction be "I gotta get rid of this fucking guy"?
>>
>>101771238
not me i'm holding onto my remote job until they lay me off in a few quarters, living off my savings for a few years, then opting out once i'm broke
>>
>>101774305
giga IQ
>>
>>101774305
once you carve out a niche and solidify yourself as important at your job you can coast pretty easily. they've been trying to get more people spun up with what i do but they all fail so they've mostly given up. they would love to replace im sure they're just too incompetent.
>>
>>101764413
what did u work on the family farm as?

tell them and be honest. choose the smaller fuckup. word ur email right
>>
>>101766825
kek try being in your 30s and still doing this
>>
>>101766849
that is interesting

was the workplace good
>>
>>101773762
>dream company
lel do not fall for this trap

anyway who cares every single indian you went up against did the same thing
>>
>>101766825
hello me
>>
>>101768204
ayy I used to read this guy as well. top notch content
>>
NEW
>>101775045
>>101775045
>>101775045
>>
>>101773762
be honest. cough it up. they will respect u for saying the truth.

the dishonest man wins in the short term. the honest man wins in the long term. maybe they have a toxic culture and the 100% pass req is a red flag. I have never regretted saying the truth. be honest anon.
>>
>>101770101
the key is to become homeless. then u will be free as the wind
>>
>>101769642
do it. they will either fast track u the offer or were never going to hire u to begin with
>>
>>101768815
just ask him why he thinks its wrong and make him look dumb if he cant explain

choose ur battles. u dont wanna get on ur managers bad side
>>
>>101774183
Just post about how diverse the crowd looks, they can't do anything if you use their language.
>>
>>101774075
>apply to 15 dev jobs daily
>apply to 10 qa jobs daily
>apply to 10 data entry jobs daily
>apply to some other miscellaneous remote jobs just so i can have something
>wake up to tons of rejection emails every morning even after some good interviews where they said they liked me
>>
do you guys actually enjoy doing your job?
>>
>>101775482
No it's hell
>>
>>101773762
sounds like you passed. No way they expected you to get 100% without cheating if there's only one solution anywhere on the internet.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.