[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: th-3355241897.jpg (25 KB, 474x355)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://files.catbox.moe/u3pj3i.txt

GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/1175569
>>>/vg/lgg

IRC: #sqt on Rizon
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>101978959
>>
reposting here:

hello /fglt/.

I'm on EndeavourOS and everything's been great as an ex Winblows 11 user however i have an issue with the sound, on Windows i was able to change outputs from front jack to my rear jack which is my speakers and now the rear jack is muted unless i unplug my headphones.

Please help
>>
Hello, fellow Linux operating system users.

Have you experienced frustrations with Nvidia drivers? Failed module builds? Forced upgrades to unstable branches? Black screens after kernel updates? You might be surprised to know, that most of these are not issues with Nvidia drivers themselves, but rather the way your distribution (or a third party) handles Nvidia driver deployment.

With Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, you simply add the CUDA repo, pick the branch that you want and enjoy a pre-built, tested kernel module. No unnecessary dependencies, no DKMS build failures, no reliance on third party packages. Try the free* Red Hat® Developer Subscription today!

* for up to 16 machines
>>
im a windows 10 fag whos gonna hop into linux next year and i have plans to jump into CachyOS since i do game alot but im scared to try somethin new like Hyprland. i had a old laptop and only tried fedora KDE but i do love the hyprland design. are there gonna be any problems when i try to game if i use hyprland? Any recommends surrounding linux when it comes to gaming?
>>
File: screen.jpg (34 KB, 718x415)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Anyone here successfully install jschan?
https://gitgud.io/fatchan/jschan

I am stuck getting css to work in pic related even after reinstalling several times.
>>
>>102008750
>Any recommends surrounding linux when it comes to gaming?
Don't use a meme distro stick to one of the popular ones like Arch, Mint and Fedora.
Get an AMD GPU, it's gonna save you a few gray hairs in the long run.
Turn off the igpu it causes fuckery with things like mangohud.
If you have a small OS drive get a bigger one, installing games on other drives is easy but other things not so much.
Familiarize yourself with one of the backup tools on Linux and get an external SSD or just a sata to USB cable with a spare drive so you don't fuck your self over, that's about it.
>>
i've been trying out btrfs for awhile, and there's not really much benefit into using it over ext4 in my opinion for a single disk, maybe the snapshots and subvols but both can be done with lvm
on a related note, is there a way to calculate the size of a btrfs subvol other than "btrfs filesystem du"?
>>
File: 1711384309170245.gif (801 KB, 480x270)
801 KB
801 KB GIF
Just updated Arch after three months without access to my PC, it just works
>>
>>102009079
Surprised you didn't need to refresh your keyring or mirrors, but good for you anon.
>>
>>102008959
Really the main thing that btrfs has over ext4 is the native snapshotting and the subvolumes.
>>
My next laptop will have Linux, my current one, 12yo Win7, today didn't boot and I want to try a liveUSB small distro for the moment. Any suggestions?
>>
>>102009244
Puppy Linux is usually the go-to for a live USB distro that's fully featured.
>>
I've got an old laptop I want to fuck around with and try a new distro on. I've heard a lot of hype around NixOS and was interested in it as well as just optimizing the shit out of my battery life. Apparently experience with "immutable" systems is a sought after job skill so I guess I'll try something like that
>>
>>102009271
>Puppy
Desktop runs as root by default
Not a good idea
>>
>didn't use my other pc over anything but ssh for 3 months
>now firefox hw acceleration doesn't work
best hiatus result on arch updates I've ever had
2025 might even be the year of the linux desktop
>>
>>102009444
>oh no
>not the rooterino!
>>
>>102009244
why not step out of your comfort zone and try ubuntu
>>
>>102009591
Do you really want to be running your web browser as root?
>>
>>102009766
When someone says they want to "try a liveUSB small distro for the moment" I really don't think they give a fuck
>>
How do I know if I need anything other than pipewire and wireplumber for audio?
>>
>>102010185
pipewire, wireplumber and the alsa/pulseaudio/jack emulators should be pretty much all you need audio-wise.
>>
I need a tool that waits for rss feeds and then notifies me through my DE notifier. Can you recommend me something? Possibly something that is configurable through a user interface
>>
>>102009107
and multi disk configurations, it's a blessing
>>
>>102010185
Well it's gonna be tough if you're deaf
>>
How do I make Ubuntu mount removable storage devices like flash drives without prompting for the admin password every time?
I don't give a shit about the security risks, I want it to just werk like it does in Windows.
>>
>>102010958
add yourself to the plugdev group by doing

sudo gpasswd -a anon plugdev

and then logout/login again or reboot
>>
>>102011143
Will this work even if the account I add isn't a sudoer?
The reason I want it to not prompt for an admin password is because I want users who aren't admins to be able to use flash drives without the admin sitting there to authenticate.
>>
>>102011195
>Will this work even if the account I add isn't a sudoer?
I haven't tested that particular scenario, but I'm thinking it will. You'll have to try it out and report back
>>
>amd framework 13 laptop running fedora silverblue
>light green hard to see against a light background
>can barely read greentexts on the standard blue board theme
Any ideas? I tried applying an ICC color profile and it helped a little bit. Also tried different browsers and greentexts are still faded looking.
>>
if im going to use a shared ntfs partition for windows and linux (separate ssds), would i be better off creating the partition in windows on the windows ssd then mounting the partition on linux, or create the partition in linux and do the opposite? i feel like mounting the partition from windows would be much harder and i would risk deleting everything else on the linux ssd in windows updates
>>
>>102012643
It won't really matter what you use to create the partition, I personally would format it from windows, then windows will map (linux will mount) it the same way in either case.
>>
>>102011143
>>102011281
It worked.
Thank you!
>>
>>102012829
Alright thanks I'll do that then, it definitely seems like the least troublesome method
>>
>>102008743
Cope harder. They are Nvidia issues. They're the result of them not keeping up with kernel updates and being too slow to act. It's hard being a billion dollar AI money making machine. All of your development has to be done at a snails pace in secret and you can forget about timely updates.
>>
>x-systemd.device-timeout
Why is the default timeout 90 seconds?
>>
>>102008743
>Have you experienced frustrations with Nvidia drivers?
Actually, no, not had a single problem with them in the 10 years I used Nvidia.
>>
>>102013210
doesn't matter if they really want to fuck you over they just keep adding another 90seconds after the timeout is reached.
>>
>>102002228
How do I get zsh working on a toolbox? With distrobox all I had to do was follow their wiki but I tried some really ugly things to get it running on toolbox and ended up making my system unbootable till I undid the changes kek.
>>
>>102013307
And by running I mean running by default, not booting into toolbox then typing 'zsh'
>>
>>102013210
The worst case is shitty network devices / NFS / etc. It's tuned for servers not high performance desktops.
>>
What should I do to isolate my Firefox profile files from the rest of the OS? I don't want random npm postinstall scripts going through my browser history.
I'm thinking either run0 or an nspawn container.
>>
>>102013400
AppArmor or SELinux can deny access
>>
>>102013460
AppArmor is gay and SELinux is beyond me
>>
>>102013699
There's nothing wrong with AppArmor. It's extremely easy to make a profile to deny access to ~/.mozilla for everything except Firefox.

SELinux is more difficult but still doable. You create a policy and label all of the files in your ~/.mozilla and only Firefox is allowed access to the context.
>>
>>102013077
Sir, at the end of the day, my Nvidia Linux system just works, while you're the one complaining about "Nvidia issues". It would appear that the only one coping here, is, in fact, you.
>>
>>102008743
my nvidia problems evaporated when i turned off “secure” boot
>>
>>102008743
Bazzite works great and you dont have to register like a pooron
>>
>>102009094
I did update the keyring just in case but it was quick
>>
Any of you ever tried MacOS in a VM on Linux? I might try it
>>
>>102014486
I tried it once, took like 2 or 3 hours to unpack, used like 100gb and ran like crap. I was only doing it as a lark and I didn't care anymore by the time the setup was done so I just deleted it.
>>
>>102014486
kek is macos really called big sir?
>>
What's the least bloated distro?
>>
>>102014571
Fair enough, I watched a video that said these days MacOS can run in a VM with only a 10-20% reduction in performance compared to native. I think that's only the case if you pass through the GPU and whatever. But still that sounds alright.

>>102014610
No, that version was called Big Sur. Recent versions of MacOS have been named after places in California, and Big Sur is a place in California.
>>
>>102014952
Nix
>>
>>102013856
I use AMD. I learnt my lesson the hard way. While you were having screen flickering due to poor implicit sync support my hardware just worked and continues to just work.
>>
>>102014952
Busybox
>>
Is Guix easier to use than Nix? I've only ever used the normal binary distros (Debian, Fedora, Arch, etc.)
>>
>>102015083
A package manager that requires garbage collection will never not be bloated
>>
>>102015175
Doubt it, but maybe if you're a lisper already. Nix is terrible, the compiler errors are worthless, there's absolutely no autocomplete, and the language itself is strange. I still picked nix because guix doesn't even have up to date Firefox in the repo.
>>
>>102015473
You're supposed to use the NonGuix channel:
https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
>>
File: file.png (41 KB, 909x340)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
I made the jump from Windows to Mint and everything's been great so far, but I have a (probably) dumb small question: how do I format an SSD I'm gonna be using for games?
I've got a "Disks" utility, do I just delete all the partitions here? And then I just create a new one? Which format, ext4?
Also how the hell do I rename an HDD/SSD?
Thanks anons!
>>
>>102015589
Yeah but I mean Firefox is free so how come they only had esr
>>
>>102015937
In the main repos, I mean
>>
>>102013210
Bad defaults.
>>
>>102013812
Aight, sold me on apparmor. I'll try it.
>>
File: 1610627930570-1.jpg (187 KB, 1080x1080)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>102008440
How to run vhdx with virt-manger?
>>
>>102015937
The same reason Debian only has ESR. Brain damage. ESR == "stable" (the reality is the latest versions are usually the most stable because they have performance improvements and not everything gets backported)
>>
Bump for this one. I am tearing my hair out.
>>102008850
>>
File: 1580684028427.jpg (47 KB, 532x590)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
What's a safe way to run a windows executable that can possibly be a malware inside wine/lutris?
VM is too resource intensive for my old laptop.
>>
>>102016491
wine is not considered a safe place to run malware.
>>
>>102016491
You can get ransomware through Wine.
>>
>>102015799
>I've got a "Disks" utility, do I just delete all the partitions here? And then I just create a new one? Which format, ext4?
Yes to all
>how the hell do I rename an HDD/SSD?
You name the partition
>>
>>102016491
Sandboxed in a container with a dedicated network namespace that has no Internet access.
>>
>>102015799
select disk, top right corner, format disk
>>
>>102016290
>vhdx
first convert it using `qemu-img convert`
>>
>>102015158
I was having what now? I think you are once again trying to project your own problems at me, sir.
>>
>>102016418
Performance improvements have nothing to do with stability.
>>
>>102017408
I know. Debian's definition of stability is:
>Program does not change frequently
Not
>Program does not crash
Or
>Program is efficient
Or
>Program is fast
>>
>>102017353
Look it up, it's not projection. It was a well known problem involving a race condition in their driver. It existed for YEARS. It was only fixed this year.
>>
>>102017936
Even today there are still serious bugs in their drivers. None of this happens on AMD.
>>
avoid nvidia at all costs except ia/ml/transcoding on loonix
>>
I'm trying to set up a file server on my lan. what would the rule be to block all connections coming from outside my lan in nftables?
>>
>>102008440
ok, i have a major problem i'm hoping someone here can help solve.

i have no idea why, however mpv and by extension many of its frontends keeps slowing down rapidly until it comes to a complete halt after around an hour of usage. it happens seemingly at random intervals. if you use it for a good while eventually it will start to stutter, then it will get really choppy, then eventually it will cease to even load videos.

vlc while technically better than mpv, its ui is pretty bad imo. i like to change playback speed very frequently, going trough menus for that core function just isn't it.

its not a matter of hardware limits or anything; it acts like you'd expect if it was running something like a game loop and a sleep statement was being incremented inside it. even the ui becomes unusable because of how long it takes to actually do anything.

uninstalling/reinstalling mpv does nothing. deleting everything associated with mpv in its entirety does nothing. restoring from a timeshift backup from when it worked fine does nothing.
disabling/enabling hwdec does nothing, nor does any other attempt to try and solve it.

even reinstalling my distro(mint, tried others and no diff) doesn't work 100% of the time. though usually it does, ive only had it persist twice.
ive found that completely overwriting your hard disk with 0s is the only way to reliably prevent the issue from persisting and even then it just keeps happening for me.

the only error message it gives out on the console/repl is a a/v desync. its not even accurate, because whenever it does grace me with a frame its perfectly in sync with the audio.

another weird thing, if you have mpv and celluloid at the same time, sometimes one shows this issue but the other is fine.

given all the above put together, i think its one of the dependencies having some condition relating to time or network-accesed resource is borked but thats entirely my speculation.
>>
>>102018015
Something like this?

ip saddr { 0.0.0.0/0 } drop
ip saddr { 192.168.0.0/24 } accept
>>
>>102018109
thanks
>ip saddr { 0.0.0.0/0 } drop
does that drop the entire range of ipv4 addresses?
>>
>>102018134
It does, yes.
>>
>>102018102
Ack, you might want to further diagnose this issue and discard any potential hardware problems. I'm thinking it might have to do with output configuration.

1. First I suggest you switch to a X11 session (in case you're in Wayland) and run mpv with the xv driver by running
mpv -vo xv file.mp4

If it fixes then you might want to read the mpv manual and select a driver that matches your hardware (vdpau, vaapi, idk)
You can also test disabling audio with
-ao null

2. You might want to discard any possible misconfiguration by booting a livecd and try mpv there.

3. You might also want to double check I/O by using a different storage device

4. Finally, you could try combining the above to try to spot the issue, you can also use a different GPU
>>
>>102018147
>>102018134
Also I think that may include localhost so you'd want:
ip saddr { 127.0.0.1/8, 192.168.0.0/24 } accept
>>
File: downgrade.png (3.14 MB, 1290x1868)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB PNG
Hey guys, I have been on linux for a couple weeks now. I just dug my 6950xt out of the closet and swapped it for the 4080 Super that I’ve been using. Am I gonna get better performance now lol. Mostly kidding but do I need to totally wipe the Nvidia drivers first or can I just uninstall that Nvidia app from my software manager in Zorin (Ubuntu). Also, do I actually have to install the AMD drivers from their website or did other people make better ones. I heard something about errors with AMD official drivers last year for ubuntu.
I am just curious how well AMD plays with linux because I was using FSR anyways with the 4080 in most games so why not try AMD?
This will be a good test to see if I want whatever the next gen 7900xtx is, hopefully it’s $999.
>>
>>102018239
Looks like bait but whatever.

>Am I gonna get better performance now lol
Yes
>do I need to totally wipe the Nvidia drivers first
Yes
>do I actually have to install the AMD drivers from their website
No, you don't need to install AMD drivers, they're bundled with the OS and they just work
>I am just curious how well AMD plays with linux because I was using FSR anyways with the 4080 in most games so why not try AMD?
They work perfectly, just don't expect FSR and other fancy shit, that's for Windows only afaik, other anons feel free to correct me
>>
>>102018261
FSR just works, it's a feature of games. You can enable it for any game, even those that don't have support using Gamescope which is a micro compositor that has FSR upscaling built-in to it.
>>
>>102018281
Ahhh cool, didn't know that, thanks for info anon
>>
>>102018218

>mpv -vo xv file.mp4
done, no change

>You can also test disabling audio
done, no dice
>2. You might want to boot a livecd and try mpv there.
the issue takes time to manifest from a fresh install, this works but only temporarily

>Finally, you could try combining the above to try to spot the issue, you can also use a different GPU
i actually have tried another gpu, but its also a 30 series nvidia; nope

am i actually about to sift through all of mpv's code just to watch anime in peace?
>>
>>102018281
That’s neat, this will be fun thanks.
>>
>>102018226
thanks.
>>
>>102018303
can you send us dmesg when the issue happens? and also the mpv output? I'm intrigued
>>
>>102018320
also
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
>>
>>102018320
i've never dmesg and as such have no idea how to prevent a self-dox, and what video encoding options does /g/ allow? it can only really be seen with the temporal aspect included.
>>
>>102018361
no way to help you if you don't provide additional info
>>
>>102018361
Dmesg won't dox you if it doesn't have any IP addresses or identifying information. It's mostly just log messages / diagnostics.
>>
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 535.183.01
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 535.183.01
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 535.183.01
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

>>102018381
just tell me how to use it in a way that doesn't provide personal info, like i said never used it.
>>
>>102018414
it moves so epically slow, it took like 5 min total to get these screenshots.
>>
>>102018447
forgot to upload the second
>>
>>102018414
Alright, when the issue happens just run in the console
sudo dmeg | tail -n 50

That should just print the last 50 lines of dmesg which should be enough and without any data.

Might want to try switch to vdpau with
mpv -vo vdpau file.mp4

And strong suggestion to avoid those frontends, at least for now
>>
>>102018469 (me)
This seems to be an issue related to glibc and not mpv or your hardware, you might want to update your OS or try another distro altogether.
Source: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/79300?project=1&order=dateopened&sort=desc&pagenum=2
>>
>>102018469
unfortunately, its progressed to the point where it doesn't even start now. i'll have to reinstall the os before i can get more.
>>
>>102018504
Switch distro, start from scratch
>>
>>102018488
this isn't the same behavior. cpu usage isn't abnormally high; in fact its way too low. like i said in op its like a sleep statement is getting progressively lengthened.

there are no additional errors shown in any of my existing logs, it just sputters then stops.
>>
>>102008440
>Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Why the need for a reminder? I thought freetards where a bunch of upstanding, respectful people.
>>
>>102018506
even if i do that, the issue comes back. most of the ones ive tried are based on debian or arch but i have tried more outside of them as well. i'm tired of distro hopping, i just want this solved.
>>
>>102018536
?
>>
>>102018469
mpv is a frontend application, it really can't be anything else. ive been trying to interpret what else you meant by this but just gave up.
>>
>>102018541
Okay, I see, your issue is more complicated than I thought. You really need to discard hardware problems.

>Reseat, clean and if possible switch RAM
>Same with GPU
>Same with storage
If the issue still persists it might be some issue with your motherboard.
As I said, a dmesg would be useful.
>>
>>102018577
Have you tried another video file? Does it happen with ALL video files?
>>
>>102018600
i have multiple pcs, and i have done all of those. ngl this is my second to last ditch effort before just dissecting the code myself and trying to figure out where its going wrong that way.

>>102018618
yes, all of them. anime, game recorings, webcam videos, interlaced progressive, avi mp4 mkv mpg, av1 mpeg h.264 h.264, 4:3 3:6 3:4 16:9 9:16, hdr sdr, 1080p 720p 480p

ive done a lot of testing to no avail. worst yet ive yet to find someone else encountering this, but it does take at least 2 weeks to manifest and i imagine more sane people would just switch to vlc.
>>
>>102018102
What is your Mpv version?
mpv --version

Have you tried newer builds?
>>
>>102018682
the perks of being a weeb
idk anon, your issue is really really strange, hope you manage to find a solution
>>
>>102018600
>>102018682
i should clarify, when i swapped gpu/motherboard i used the same brand and the same cpu(nvidia, gigabyte,ryzen 5 3600)
>>
>>102018719
me too. honestly at this point it might be easier to just add custom keybindings to vlc, but at this point its not even about having a working video player, i just need to send a message to all obscure software problems thinking they're safe.
>>
>>102018781
aaand what about... Windows?
>>
>>102018718
>mpv --version
i'm currently reinstalling. i've never had it NOT do this in any distro, but the newest versions ive tried are from the mint software manager:
0.34.1-1ubuntu3(system package)
v0.38.0 (flathub)
>>
>>102018798
microsoft and by extension windows can go fuck itself, i'm not gonna pay someone for the privilege of being violated by them.
nothing works on windows, mpv doesn't work on linux. my choice is obvious.
>>
File: W.jpg (42 KB, 500x375)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>Block IN, CN, and RU IPs in firewall
>Never have problems
What a coincidence
>>
>>102018885
>What are VPNs?
>>
>>102018816
Don't bother with the Ubuntu package, that's out-of-date crap.
>>
is it necessary to have a firewall or fail2ban if i'm not running any web services or ssh?
>>
File: NoLogs.jpg (52 KB, 680x361)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>102018915
>>
>>102018938
No. If you don't have any services running then it's just sitting there doing nothing.

It could conceivably protect you from random shit applications that decide to open a web server listening on all interfaces (instead of localhost) but you shouldn't be running that in the first place and no application installed via your distributions repositories should be doing that (if you see that, report it as a bug).
>>
>>102008440
Hello, is Ventoy safe to use? I saw something about malware and I'm worried about using it now and I'm thinking of flashing Mint onto my Laptop because I am tired of going around looking at other distros and Mint seems to juswerk, I want to do Coding and I heard Mint is good for Coding.
>>
>>102018961
been using it for a while, as many many others do. there are a bunch of binary blobs in it which is what is concerning people. so there's no way to know but if the chinks were stealing credit card numbers someone would have caught it by now.
>>
File: plshalp.png (45 KB, 437x684)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>102008440
I have three hard drives.
One harddrive boots Linux Mint.
One harddrive boots Windows 10.
A third harddrive is formatted into one partition, ntfs filesystem.

I want to use the third harddrive as a data share that I can access from both Linux and Windows.
I'm mounting it using the UUID. This is working fine.
What is not working are the permissions.
When I move files onto the share drive, the permissions appear to become 777.
This is mostly inconsequential, because I can still open and edit things without needing to elevate.
However, for the .txt files (which I work with frequently), being marked as "executable" causes linux to prompt me EVERY SINGLE TIME I open one as to whether I want to run or display it.

How do I fix the mount permissions?
I assume this is an fstab setting, something that should replace "defaults", as chown and chmod don't work - the permissions instantly revert to 777.
>>
>>102018984
So most likely a nothingburger and its safe to use? I just would rather not use another USB for Mint when I have VenToy already.
>>
>>102019043
It's a file manager (nautilus) thing.
Run dconf editor
org
gnome
nautilus
preferences
executable-text-activation
>>
I can't get multiple threads to behave on Linux. It doesn't switch threads often enough, so one thread hogs the cpu and the others starve. Is there any way to tell Linux to stop fucking around and schedule threads fairly?
>>
>>102019112
I've been using it fine for years.
>>
>>102019112
Frankly, it's a mystery. Supposing it's a malware, no one will know until the attacker decides to do something. Is he waiting for the userbase to grow? No one knows. He could've clarified everything, but he chose not to do it. Even his identity is just "ventoy admin". It's all this darkness that leads people to suspicion, after the xz fiasco.

Personally, I have no use for multiple ISOs. So, if I have a thumb drive with Ventoy, then the same device could be used for system A. If I want to test system B, then I just overwrite it. No big deal. You don't need N devices N systems. One is enough.
>>
https://www.theverge.com/2024/8/21/24225108/microsoft-security-update-windows-linux-dual-boot-errors
Oopsie
(:
>>
>>102019262
had to pause windows updates
fuck microsoft for not even acknowledging the problem, bunch of assholes
>>
I have come to the realization that AMD GPU drivers are almost impossible to install. The amdgpu-install says unsupported OS. Nvidia seems infinitely easier to install with their proprietary drivers which we literally one command.
>>
>>102019262
who dual boots into windows anymore? run that shit in qemu and libvirt
>>
>>102019262
Dual booters BTFO
>>
>>102019262
>>102019329
>OS exists
>has a boot entry
>??????
>no boot entries
How do they even?

>>102018938
>>102018956
If your IP is like super static and you want to avoid getting into someone's "live hosts" lists, you should avoid running services on popular ports.
If a port scanner finds an open SSH or HTTP port it will note that regardless.
>fail2ban
Use keys or proper passwords. They try to login with those admin/admin type of credentials.
>>
>>102019395
Nah it'll boot to black screen next kernel update because you didn't install it correctly. You have to install binary drivers according to the procedure that's correct for your distro.
>>
>>102019449
what can anyone even do with an open http port or that ddos?
>>
File: 1724295357828.jpg (237 KB, 2048x1404)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
What do you think about Mint's Xapps project? I think is a decent iniciative that could benefit the smaller DEs, but nobody seems to give a shit about them.
https://linuxmint-developer-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/xapps.html
>>
>>102018915
How does that affect anything?
>>102018950
He's just stupid.
>>102018015
>block all connections coming from outside my lan
Is your local net really a globally routable one???? Usually people don't have to do anything as they are in a private net.
But oh well, here's a basic "don't answer anyone" rule set:
flush ruleset
table inet my_table {
chain my_input {
type filter hook input priority filter; policy drop;
iif "lo" accept comment "Localhost"
ip saddr { 192.168.1.0/24, 169.254.0.0/16 } accept
ip6 saddr f000::/4 accept
ct state invalid drop comment "Invalid connections"
ct state established,related accept comment "Traffic originated from us"
ip protocol icmp icmp type { destination-unreachable, router-advertisement, router-solicitation, time-exceeded, parameter-problem } accept comment "ICMP"
}
chain my_forward { type filter hook forward priority filter; policy accept; }
chain my_output { type filter hook output priority filter; policy accept; }
chain prerouting { type nat hook prerouting priority filter; policy accept; }
}

>192.168.1.0/24
Change it to whatever you got.
>f000::/4
Don't worry, it just lumps together a bunch of all kinds of local broadcast type of IPs. Everything that starts with "f" can't be from le internets.

>>102019515
idk but they will keep knocking. Mostly just a nuisance seeing your logs filled with login attempts.
>>
>>102019043
>How do I fix the mount permissions?
Add fmask=0133,dmask=0022 (or your values of choice) to the mount options.
>>
>>102019665
>Is your local net really a globally routable one????
It's called IPv6, grampa.
>>
so a lot of stuff defaults to snapd in ubuntu. the amount of effort i had to go through to remove snapd, prevent snapd from reinstalling itself, and install firefox without snapd was ridiculous. I have hardware constraints on this machine (<115GB ssd) and can't afford for everything to be containerized.

have to say though, besides that, lubuntu really turned this ewaste into a semi usable machine.
>>
>>102019966
is there hardware support you otherwise wouldnt have just gotten by using debian?
>>
>>102019966
mageia is apparently good at being fast and having good gui system settings too, but dont take my word for it i havent tried it myself yet.
uses rpm. behaves like debian stable.
>>
>>102010207
Thunderbird
>>
I have a question.
I am using Fedora and currently have the 555.58 version of nvidia drivers which I installed through rpm fusion
I have secure boot enabled, so I had to manually sign a a key when I installed it, so when the latest drivers hit the rpm fusion repositories, will I have to generate and sign another key before updating? or will the new driver build upon the current one, which is already signed in?
>>
>>102020052
never liked rpm, but thanks for the suggestion anyway

>>102020040
probably not now that you mention it
>>
>>102008440
>install gentoo
>computer melts
>>
>>102019966
I also wish it wasn't this hard to find a traditional distros that is semi supported since Ubuntu shat the bed hard, something that isn't Gentoo and doesn't self destruct with any minor update. Debian is the closest thing, and so was Opensuse Leap but that's on its way out.
Fedora was this close, but they don't provide LTS kernels at all and every other week there's some annoying regression for laptops. At this rate there will be only SystemD-less distros for this use case.
Debian itself has its own unpleasant bits too, to be honest. Tons of things you basically have to do yourself down to a chroot environment like if it was Arch.
>>
>>102016491
you could use bubblewrap (namespace-based sandbox)
>>
>>102020635
Gentoo doesn't self-destruct. How are you so bad at maintaining it? I've been running the same install since stage3-amd64-nomultilib-20191218T214502Z.tar.xz

There are people out there with even older installs than me too. It's quite possibly the most stable system I've ever used.
>>
>>102021081
>>102020635
Also if you want Fedora with an LTS kernel you can compile it yourself or use the RPMs from CentOS or one of the RHEL forks. The kernel package usually has minimal dependencies so this is something you should be able to install just by downloading the rpm and doing a
dnf install ./*.rpm
>>
>>102015181
You're confusing bloated with just needing more disk space due to its immutable nature.
>>
I'm making an ISO image for NixOS. It's been like 20 minutes since I started this process. Is it supposed to take this long or did I mess up?
>>
>>102008743
>rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/kinoite-nvidia:latest
not my problem
>>
>>102020635
snaps arent great but they can be put up with if you have the disk space. then just use flatpak for everything else you want.
fedora is very snappy.
Leap was good too, but right, no point to it if theyre gonna ditch it.
>>
i will say im not a fan of the font bloat in distros. noto with 200 something other languages in the libreoffice font list. does anyone in the dev department seriously not see this as an issue.
>>
>>102021186
That's the very definition of bloat. They want a minimal system and you recommend them something that uses tons of disk space by design.
>>
>>102021194
pkill -INFO -x dd

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/234167/how-can-i-track-progress-of-dd
>>
>>102019665
>How does that affect anything?
Do you think Russia and China are incapable of using VPNs? You blocking their country has no effect other than to slightly reduce noise.
>>
>>102021287
The whole point of Noto is to provide font support for all of those different languages. They show up multiple times because they are in fact multiple different fonts. Uninstall the fonts if you don't care about internationalisation.
>>
>>102017288
But qemu can run it just fine.
>>
im on arch and im having this problem where sometimes when i boot up my computer it will just be slow and laggy, and every time i open something or click something there will be a little bit of lag (which also causes my mouse to get stuck because, i assume, my mouse polling rate, which i also dont know how to change) and i dont know whats causing this, im very new to linux and not knowledgeable with computers which leads me to believe its probably something i did wrong, i dont know how to diagnose this issue. does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>102021975
I did not know that!
>>
How easy is it to update the kernel and mesa drivers to the newest ones on Mint? I kind of like the idea of Mint but I want new stuff for gaming. I will probably settle with Fedora/OpenSuse/Endeavor but want to give Mint a chance.
>>
Am I stupid for using Bazzite as my daily driver? It does everything I want and has all the gayman features I want.
>>
>>102022069
Maybe RAM is dying, try to switch from X11 to Wayland and vice versa if you have it installed maybe?
>>
>>102022303
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

If you're doing this for gaming then use the Liquorix kernel or something else similarly focused on better desktop performance:
https://liquorix.net/
>>
>>102022407
Thanks mate.
>>
File: ok_kid.png (288 KB, 426x447)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>102017958
>mesa and amdgpu is bug-free software
Sure.

What kind of serious bugs does the 535 branch still have, then?
>>
>>102020635
>>102021155
>you can compile it yourself or use the RPMs from CentOS or one of the RHEL forks
Or just use RHEL or one of the forks.
>>
Is systemd-boot-update.service enabled by default on Arch?
>>
>>102022502
Mesa isn't bug-free but it's never had any stupid bugs where your desktop freezes because you hovered or opened an applet. That's just embarrassing and it's not the first time Nvidia has ran into issues with KDE like this.
>>
>>102022607
Arch doesn't have a default bootloader so probably not.
>>
>>102022645
I mean once you install systemd-boot with bootctl install. I don't have my Arch desktop with me right now so I can't check. I'm just curious.
>>
>>102022701
The Arch Wiki doesn't say it's enabled, but it doesn't say it's not enabled either:
>As of version 250, systemd ships with systemd-boot-update.service. Enabling this service will update the bootloader upon the next boot.

It wouldn't hurt to manually enable it.
>>
So GNOME 47 still has no VRR and triple buffering?
>>
>>102021081
>>102021155
That isn't Gentoo or* doesn't self destruct with any minor upgrade. I typed this while half sleep. Still, my reasoning is that there are some devices you really don't want to maintain much beyond system upgrades.
>>102022516
Might end doing this, EPEL doesn't look much worse than Debian.
>>
>>102022634
If you said Nvidia is slow at implementing Wayland, then you'd have a point. X11 just works. By the time Xorg gets removed from LTS distros, Wayland will also just work. People who use new/experimental features with new/experimental driver branches on bleeding edge distros must understand they do so at their own risk.
>>
>>102022770
Wake up, it's 2024, Wayland is no longer an experimental thing. It's the default display server for GNOME and a lot of distros also ship KDE with Plasma Wayland as default now too.

I'm not even talking about bleeding edge distributions either. GNOME has had Wayland by default for years now. It's the default in RHEL even.
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/6755971
>>
every time i turn my monitor off, my bluetooth gets turned off. the dongled plugged into the monitor so i get why, but i have to manually turn it back on in settings. is there a way to have it turn back on automatically>?
>>
>>102022797
I can't wait until Fedora gets rid of xorg so people stop talking about it forever.
>>
>>102022753
>EPEL doesn't look much worse than Debian
EL has significantly fewer packages than Debian or Fedora. I'd say that's the main drawback, but pretty much the only objective downside I can think of.
>>
When does the stability of Debian actually become a factor? Feel like it's a meme
If someone is running a distro with a rolling release wouldn't they know what would and wouldn't break it on update
>>
>>102022802
Write a Udev rule
>>
>>102022896
thats beyond my skill level
>>
>>102022797
Wayland is experimental for Nvidia, because they've been slow with implementing it. It has been default on RHEL since version 8, but not if you install the Nvidia driver, which still defaults to Xorg. Next year RHEL 10 comes out with Xorg removed, which (like any RHEL release) will take a few more years to mature enough to get people to start moving to it. RHEL 9 is supported until 2032-2035, so there's no real rush for Nvidia in the enterprise space, but Fedora's upcoming release will be the first to remove Xorg, so they'll have plenty more shit on their plate. Also, KDE is not officially a thing in RHEL/SUSE, so KDE bugs automatically come with a lower priority.
>>
>>102022964
> but not if you install the Nvidia driver, which still defaults to Xorg
Did you even read that link? Wayland is the default for Nvidia now too.
>>
>>102022857
It's purely a matter of whether you're ready and willing to fix shit as it breaks, or if you'd rather just stay on old packages and avoid all of that noise.
>>
can i get a qrd on processes
if a process spawns other processes and i kill it, does the full tree die?
what if i run it in something like wine?
>>
>>102022983
My bad, 8 defaults to Xorg on Nvidia and to Wayland on Mesa, 9 defaults to Wayland on both. I guess I shouldn't be surprised Red Hat is not concerned about KDE bugs at all. In any case, the user will still have the option to switch to Xorg right up until RHEL 9 goes EOL... in 8 years' time.
>>
>>102023055
They're not KDE bugs, they're Nvidia driver bugs. That specific one was fixed in the latest driver release but it's embarrassing that they even happen in the first place. Nvidia driver release notes on Linux are full of stuff like this.

Windows:
>Fixed a bug in INSERT AAA GAME here
Linux:
>We couldn't even get the desktop to work right without crashing. That should be fixed now.
>>
>>102023096
>They're not KDE bugs, they're Nvidia driver bugs.
Sorry, I should have said "I guess I shouldn't be surprised Red Hat is not concerned about Nvidia driver bugs that specifically affect KDE".
>>
>>102023123
>Nvidia driver bugs that specifically affect KDE running Wayland
fixt
>>
>>102022069
i used to have it sometimes and it has stopped, i think it was something plugged into usb that wasnt behaving correctly and slamming the system with data or something idk
>>
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gsettings-desktop-schemas/-/merge_requests/90
What issues? It's just a font.
>>
>>102022811
EPEL solves this problem (you know, External Packages for EL) though you're putting your trust on a community repository, or whatever Oracle does in case you want to use Oracle Linux. Also EL has a weird release cycle.
>>
File: sparky431-trinity.png (131 KB, 400x299)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>102008440
Is the trinity desktop secure? I want to use it as my main DE but some anons told me there is some level of risk when using it.
>>
>>102023694
What's wrong with all the normal DEs?
>>
>>102023694
Just use GNOME, KDE or COSMIC.
>>
>>102022701
arch doesn't enable things you install automatically like some distros do
>>
>>102023042
if you kill a child process, it's up to the parent what happens to the parent, it may respawn the child, or quit, or die, or do nothing
>>
>>102023694
it really depends on what you consider secure
it's not a dead project, just a small one, it's probably no less secure than half the other things you run on your computer
>>
>>102019262
another good reason to turn off secure boot
>>
>>102023711
Nothing. I just really like TDE
>>102023721
>GNOME, KDE
Bloated trash
>COSMIC
Seems promising but hope the flat design can be modified in the future
>>102023776
I use my pc for browsing the clear web and doing uni work. I use betterfox and ufw. As long as I don't get malware or some other bullshit I'll be happy. I know there is probably nothing to worry about considering my usecase but I'm paranoid so I just want to make sure everything works fine.
>>
What's the best cd ripping tool? Apparently there are cd rippers that rip it like three times and then compare to see if there are errors anywhere but most of the discussion is from 10+ years ago about deprecated programs so I really don't know. I just want accurate flacs with no skipping, I don't need a bunch of settings and customization
>>
>>102023881
>I use my pc for browsing the clear web and doing uni work. I use betterfox and ufw. As long as I don't get malware or some other bullshit I'll be happy. I know there is probably nothing to worry about considering my usecase but I'm paranoid so I just want to make sure everything works fine.
i'm sure it's fine anon, think of it this way, while it is a small team working on a relatively large codebase with few users, it's also an extremely small target, like it's a very niche option even by linux standards, who the hell would even both exploiting any issues with it?
>>
>>102016418
That's not why debian does it
It's because newer versions are a pain in the ass to compile on stable due to library mismatch
also, ESR is officially supported by firefox
so its not because of brain damage
>>
File: futa_man.jpg (221 KB, 900x1200)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Whats a good distro for beginners? I heard Rocky Linux is pretty good. Thoughts?
>>
>>102023888
The private tracker guys suggest Exact Audio Copy with wine, personally I’ve never had a problem with any other basic tool
>>
>>102023952
You know what else is officially supported? The latest stable release.

Mozilla also doesn't add dependencies for the sake of it. They're not Google, their minimum target is still whatever old version of GTK3 Debian is using.
>>
>>102023953
Ubuntu, all you need is Ubuntu thank me later.
>>
>>102023953
Rocky Linux is a fork of CentOS which itself is a free use variant of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If you're interested in this space, I'd recommend trying out Fedora instead, which is basically RHEL but made for home use with more updated packages.
>>
>>102024020
Too bloated, sorry.
>>102024024
I want to get into Coding so I think Fedora would be great, THANKS =D
>>
>./qbittorrent-nox
>localhost:8080
>Page cannot load
Well what now?
>>
i have two network interfaces on one pc:
eth0 and eth1
eth0 is connected to the rest of my network and is where all the internet traffic comes from
i want to deny eth1 internet traffic and not allow it to have any traffic go out of eth0 but i still want the devices (in this case, they're just vms) connected to eth1 to be able to access the pc without issue
how can i do this?
>>
>>102024004
Gtk isnt the problem, it's the rust toolchain
>>
>>102023600
Even with EPEL and RPMfusion enabled, there's simply fewer packages on EL than Fedora or Debian.
>>
>>102023953
sauce? thats hot
>>
>>102024145
>sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -j REJECT
>sudo iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
>sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
By setting these rules, traffic from eth1 will be blocked from accessing the internet, but the VMs connected to eth1 will still be able to communicate with the local PC
>>
File: 16d.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH XORG
>/usr/lib/Xorg :0
RECENTLY?

>consistently using more CPU time than before
>frequently (once an hour about) spiking to ~96% CPU and taking over 1 core, becomes unresponsive but not 100% frozen, sometimes cursor vanishes sometimes not, whichever window is active remains responsive only to keyboard input
>have to switch to a different VT and kill Xorg entirely

this started like a week ago
also it seems to always be the same core (#7), no idea what that's about, all the others sit around 0-4% while #7 is around 30-40%
RAM usage is not unusual even when it's hanging/freezing, in the past I've had X do similar shit when it runs out of memory but this seems different
>>
>>102022271
Yeah like so
qemu-system-x86_64 -boot order=d -drive file=PATH_TO_YOUR_windows10.vhdx,format=vhdx -m 2G -smp 8 -cpu host,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time -enable-kvm -nic none
>>
>>102024334
Manipulation? You can sort processes by time. When they were started, cyberstalk until you die what started once the usage ramps up.
>>
>>102024194
Wrong. Also, rule 1 and 3 are identical.
>>102024145
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j DROP

The above rule drops traffic on eth1 from being forwarded to eth0, which still allowing eth1 traffic to be forwarded to/from eth1
>>
>>102023881
>hope the flat design can be modified in the future
They even showed a Windows 95 theme, so yeah.
>>
>>102024492
>Wrong. Also, rule 1 and 3 are identical
To clarify what I mean by saying their identical, rule 1 and 3 have the same matching definition in the chain, (simply -o eth1), meaning rule 3 will never ever get executed because rule one will always get matched first in the chain.
Also, it has the unintended side effect of blocking the host itself from communicating to the internet. You want to block packets from being forwarded such as here >>102024492 , he never said he wanted to block all traffic from the host itself as well
>>
>>102023881
If you feel like it, just use multiple factor auth with an external device holding the TOPTs, download Chrome and use that explicitly for online banking or something that might be worth compromising, as Google spends a lot of money doing security testing on Chrome even on Linux.
>>
I've been on mint for a year, its all good but I've never tried KDE and feel I'm missing out. any distro that actually "just works" but with KDE? I'm saying shit like mint where everything works out of the box
>>
>>102024635
Fedora Kinoite
>>
>>102024635
Kubuntu is the official KDE Ubuntu spin if you wanna use that.
>>
>>102024655
>snap
>>
>>102024663
Well besides Kubuntu there's Fedora's KDE spin, Fedora Kinoite for an immutable Fedora KDE or openSUSE Tumbleweed which is based entirely around KDE.
Besides that there's using KDE through Arch, but it might be too modular for someone that wants it to "just werk"
>>
>>102019780
Cool. Then apply the same rules but omit IPv4-related settings.
>>
How does Rust's cargo work? does it install the files in home directory like flatpak or not? does compiling with --git install it the same way?
>>
>>102024635
openSUSE Leap.
>>
File: GVJ5tjSaEAMjcCF.jpg (72 KB, 899x1144)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>102008440
So what exactly happened with nix?
Is the creator still around?
>>
How is a motherfucker supposed to change default file manager?
>tried DE settings
>tried manually editing mime files in /usr/share/applications and ~/.local/share/applications
>tried manually editing the content of the .desktop files
>tried forcing dbus-1 changes symlinking into my ~/.config/dbus-1/services/ directory
>tried forcing GTK_USE_PORTALS=1
>tried changing firefox configs in about:config
>tried installing a non flatpak version in case it brought hidden configs along
>tried looking on bugzilla for suggestions and everything I've already tried was indeed mentioned
Just out of curiosity. Is this a DE or X11 issue?
>>
>>102024635
Fedora, TuxedoOS, OpenSUSE
>>
which pastebin alternative do you suggest using?
>>
>>102025078
Rentry is pretty popular.
>>
>>102025078
privatebin, pasted, rentry
>>
File: dns.jpg (75 KB, 1024x1024)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
DNS on Debian has gotten way to complicated.

It requires tools to be downloaded which doesn't work without DNS
>>
Any way to use AUR and Yay on openSuse Tumbleweed?
>>
>>102025186
No, openSUSE has it;s own AUR called OBS, it's Yay is called OPI
>>
File: file.png (123 KB, 911x729)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>102025186
If you figure out the dependencies from your package manager you can look or use the PKGBUILD which is just a glorified bash script
>>
Qemu is being a huge unhelpful turbo nigger. How exactly am I supposed to pass some random usb device to a guest:
- WITHOUT LIBVIRT
- WITHOUT ROOT
I can already do that easily with the two above but now I'd like to know how to do it with just qemu and a non root user. It's pretty hard to find a clear answer because everything assume you're running root. Right now I'm investigating udev rules but without much success.
>>
>>102025243
That's what I needed, ty.
>>
>>102025270
you'd probably want to use a udev rule to adjust the permissions of said usb device so a normal user can access it
normally a normal user can't mess with raw usb devices
>>
File: e1f.jpg (20 KB, 679x461)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Linux Mint or Linux Mint Debian? I am switching from Windows 10 and want to know the difference, thanks.
>>
>>102025578
I don't think there's any reason to prefer the debian version anymore since mint started basing on ubuntu LTS
>>
>>102025578
You should probably just use the original Ubuntu-based version.
>>
>>102024974
Which os
>>
>>102025689
linux mint
>>
>>102025578
LMDE is a meme, don't do it its a meme.
>>
File: ssd_dice.jpg (333 KB, 1024x1024)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
i'm getting a very bad latency when opening almost any window on Ubuntu x11 with an nvidea quadro.
once the initial delay from the window creation is over, everything is smooth and works well.
any clues? package format doesn't matter. theyre slow to boot from flatpak, deb, or snaps
>>
>>102025748
oh nice, a stockfags "shorting" cube.
shorting is gambling with peoples fears, poverty, war etc. when shit hits the fan, basically

the red shorters cube.jpg (333KB)
>>
>>102025703
So I tried launching my browser from the terminal looking for error logs and I've got a warning saying
>Gtk-Message: 16:42:25.113: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
so I looked for the error online and I read it might be caused by a missing package called xapp which I tried to install till
>Package xapp is not available, but is referred to by another package.
>This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
>However the following packages replace it:
> xapp-sn-watcher libxapp-gtk3-module
>
>E: Package 'xapp' has no installation candidate
I tried installing the two supposed packages and this happened
>Unpacking libxapp-gtk3-module:amd64 (2.8.2-1build3) ...
>dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libxapp-gtk3-module_2.8.2-1build3_amd64.deb (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/80xapp-gtk3-module', which i
>s also in package libxapp1:amd64 2.8.5+wilma
>Preparing to unpack .../xapp-sn-watcher_2.8.2-1build3_amd64.deb ...
>Unpacking xapp-sn-watcher (2.8.2-1build3) ...
>dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/xapp-sn-watcher
>_2.8.2-1build3_amd64.deb (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/autostart/xapp-sn-watcher.desktop', whi
>ch is also in package xapps-common 2.8.5+wilma
>Errors were encountered while processing:
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libxapp-gtk3-module_2.8.2-1build3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/xapp-sn-watcher_2.8.2-1build3_amd64.deb
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
which means I can't overwrite a system package, I believe. I am not sure if this would've helped making firefox actually use portal but I wanted to ask here if it was worth bringing this up in the mint channe or if it's just an unrelated non important warning
>>
>greentexts look faded as fuck on computer
Ideas of things to try or avenues to explore? Im on Fedora Kinoite running kde 6 atm.
>>
>>102024635
>any distro that actually "just works"
There might be but it'll be extremely niche
The common options always require some kind of tweaking
>Kubuntu
Remove snap, add flatpak
>Fedora
Add rpmfusion, add codecs
>openSUSE
Add packman, add codecs
>>
>>102026406
Wtf I found my answer after like 10 mins of searching when I spent hours yesterday chasing down dead ends lmao. For anyone else also having greentext related problems, it's this issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=296000
I actually didn't do the fix yet since I don't know the correct way to apply this yet on Kinoite, but just taking my laptop off power saving mode restored the greentexts back to normal.
>>
>>102026477
>https://bbs
>>
How fast is Fedora's package manager? I don't want to move away from pacman, but if shit breaks and becomes too annoying to fix, I need a backup plan.
>>
>>102026517
It's written in Python and likes to do a bunch of metadata checks so it can be pretty slow but you can disable that, it's not bad. There's also a c++ rewrite coming out soon as well.
>>
>>102026448
Snaps just work though, and there are examples of verified Snaps that I don't think you can get on Flathub

Like Node, Go, Ruby
>>
>>102026547
That's great to hear, thanks.
>>
>>102026563
Serious question, why would you install those as snaps/flatpaks to begin with? If you're trying to develop with them there are a bunch of runtime versioning tools you can use already or you could be using dev containers (distrobox, toolbox, roll your own) if you prefer that. Whats the use case?
>>
This outdated autistic "muh security" article fucks my autism. How common are these exploits anyways? I've been using firefox since version 3. Do you guys have any knowledge about this?
https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/firefox-chromium.html

Many thanks penguinbros.
>>
>>102026477
>yet another panel fuckery
I also have to disable panel refresh rate on my laptop when installing a new OS because my intel cpu is borked and causes frameskips and jarring lag when scrolling/moving my cursor
>>
>>102026618
>Whats the use case?
Just works. I just type `sudo snap refresh` and it updates all of them, if necessary.

Anyway my point is that I don't get why people hate Snaps so much. I think they are sometimes useful. If you can get a deb version then sure, use that, because it should be quicker to open, because it's not compressed. But sometimes a program isn't released as a deb, and in those cases I think Snaps are fine. Flatpaks are fine too, sure, if you can find what you want on Flathub.
>>
>>102026563
>Snaps just work though
Not on Kubuntu or Lubuntu. Unless they changed it specifically in 24.04, you can't open a graphical store or menu to update your snaps like on Ubuntu. Only autoupdates work but those take hours and it's very obtuse, like when you have a fresh install with a super outdated snap browser and you can't find a way to update it since Discover can't do it. The only way is the terminal.
>>
>>102026704
Oh yeah I'm not the guy you replied to I was just curious why people would install languages that way. Personally I'm not too fond of snaps because they create a bunch of loopback devices and clutter the output of certain commands. I'm sure there's a good reason they have it setup that way but I dont want to deal with it if I don't have to.
>>
>>102026810
>Not on Kubuntu or Lubuntu. Unless they changed it specifically in 24.04, you can't open a graphical store or menu to update your snaps like on Ubuntu.
Fair enough I haven't used those, but I don't use graphical stores anyway
>Only autoupdates work but those take hours and it's very obtuse, like when you have a fresh install with a super outdated snap browser and you can't find a way to update it since Discover can't do it. The only way is the terminal.
All it takes is running `sudo snap refresh` in the terminal and it will update any snaps that aren't updated.

>>102026820
>I was just curious why people would install languages that way
If you're doing a lot of work with a language then sure it would probably make sense to install a version manager so you get finer control, but if I'm just messing around with a language then Snaps are convenient I think. Also another thing I just looked up is Skype. There is a Flatpak of Skype but it looks like it's not official. The Snap of Skype is official, from Microsoft. So personally I'd be more inclined to trust it.
>>
Where do I begin to learn philosophy and best-practices for package generation.

I'm starting to make my own private alpine apk packages. There's documentation about the tooling, but I find the guidance on how to structure packages to be a bit lacking.

There's also some weird link that I wasn't expecting, like why can't I export files to /opt.

Anyone know where I can start?
>>
>>102026704
People hate them because the back end is proprietary.

>>102025181
Edit /etc/resolv.conf?

>>102024145
I don't get it. Just leave it at that and nothing gets routed.
You must be confusing something.
>>
>>102024133
Those things aren't exactly just-works. Is it running? What did it output?
>>
File: debian stable.png (181 KB, 1500x2122)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
>>102022857
Stability means package stability. Not stability as in "will not ever crash".
>>
>>102022857
>wouldn't they know what would and wouldn't break it on update
No unless they're extensively experienced. They'd have to troubleshoot for potentially hours or have to rely on tech support if they can't.
>>
As a spin-off of the above snaps question, what is the best style of OS package management?
- rolling: up-to-date software, but hard to pin versions if you don't want to upgrade
- point: less chance of new versions causing issues, but you lag on features
- source: like gentoo, requires compilation but highly flexible
- parallel versioning: I don't know the actual name for this model, but things like NixOS, where multiple versions of any given package can be installed simultaneously, so each application can have its dependency versions vary from those of others. Seems to offer the easiest way to control software versioning, but I assume runs the risk of having outdated/insecure packages linger
- something else?
>>
I have Armbian installed, it's based on Ubuntu, how do I run the executable file I downloaded from

>https://github.com/DevilXD/TwitchDropsMiner/releases/tag/dev-build
>Twitch.Drops.Miner.Linux.PyInstaller.zip

When I double click it nothing happens
>>
>>102027326
>deliberatly installing miners
>>
>>102025458
Fuck udev and fuck doing it right, switched to -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/XXX/XXX in my qemu script and a quick chmod a+w /dev/bus/usb/XXX/XXX before starting it and now everything just werks.
Not quite rootless but at least it's just once per startup and I don't have to fight with shitty docs or error reports.
>>
Do you ever use XFS?
>>
Is there a way to speed up apt if its going too slow? every other package manager i've used doesnt feel this slow compared to apt
>>
>>102028082
I assume there is some way to update the mirror list
>>
>>102027650
it's only a miner by name, it idles twitch drops.
>>
Does sleep still fuck itself on Nvidia wayland? Or has that annoyance finally been nipped? If not, sticking with x11
>>
Any music players like Strawberry except it supports any media type? I tried Strawberry with all the gst plugins and it still won't read audio-only webms.
>>
>>102028236
Recent arch install, nvidia, wayland ability to resume from sleep is intermittent. everything else seems fine. wouldn't rule out i'm a retard
>>
>>102028313
>intermittent
Damn. Every time I sleep on wayland, I can't resume and have to reboot. Thought it was because I too am retarded
>>
File: 1716011767887262.png (41 KB, 660x572)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
Anyone knows if the settings changed in synaptic apply systemwide to apt or only to synaptic?
I'm mainly talking about pic related in preferences
>>
>>102028134
It's not the downloading part its the extracting and unpacking part
>>
Should I stick with Bazzite or try setting up Ubuntu with a custom kernel and updated Mesa drivers?
>>
>>102028796
pls respond.
>>
>>102029010
Okay
>>
>>102028796
Plenty of better distros for gaming if you want to move away from Bazzite.
>>
>>102029054
Do you have a recommendation? I'm kinda considering arch, nobara, or like I said setting up custom things in Ubuntu and seeing how it goes.
>>
>>102029088
EndeavorOS with the Zen Kernel
>>
>>102028796
stock ubuntu because you don't need the latest shit to play video games
>>
https://floss.social/@chimera_linux/112241564780019743
>>
>>102029088
I wouldn't suggest Nobara, it had plenty of outdated shit even if it's made by GE. I would rather go with Fedora. EndeavorOS, CachyOS, PopOS(maybe wait until Cosmic is better) are some I tried that worked well. Haven't tried Garuda yet.
>>
>>102029088
>Nobara
Just use Fedora.
>Ubuntu
Just use Debian.
>>
>>102029318
>chimera_linux
Not even gonna bother opening it.
>>
>>102026477
>bbs
So arch users can be jammed using wireless signals? Isn't that red hat? The US military?

Alright, time to fire up NFC as well, let's radiate the guys upstairs lmao

peakabooo
>>
>>102027953
What else would you use? Ext4 needs kernel support compiled in.
>>
I use Arch btw (steamOS)
>>
File: chimera.jpg (22 KB, 924x188)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>102029397
I did it for you, it's that old post about hyprland as they all sniff their own farts again because somehow hyprland bad despite it being the most popular wayland desktop
>>
New thread:
>>102029780
>>
>>102029536
easiest distro to use
>>
>>102024180
Not him, but the artist is Mikoyan.
https://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=4326630
>>
>>102027042
Turns out it was a firewall issue
>>
>>102013812
I could not figure how to make an apparmor rule that denies folder access to everything except a program, only the other way round: apply rules to Firefox, not everything but.
>>
>>102029782
it's kinda funny to see so many people crawl out of the woodworks to say "erm this fucking sucks actually" because they don't like vaxry
>>
>>102030912
I'm back to looking at isolating the profile folders to another user or namespacing somehow.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.