[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
https://suckless.org/rocks/
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://files.catbox.moe/u3pj3i.txt

GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/1175569
>>>/vg/lgg

IRC: #sqt on Rizon
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>102054141
>>
File: logo.png (3 KB, 64x64)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
first for cachOS
>>
Where my Fedora bros at?
Also why is Konqi so cute?
>>
>>102065559
>>
Where my Debian bros at?
Also why a foot?
>>
>>102065532
I am a little ootl, besides packages being compiled with the x86-64-v3 instruction set, does it have any other differences to arch?
In other words, are the packages just recompiled versions of arch packages with x86-64-v3?
>>
>>102065559
>>102065574
Does it happen only in 4chan or in any text input field?
>>
>>102065604
it appears to default to cachOS repos that are all compiled at V3 level.
vanilla arch repos are also included that are the fallback.
it includes loads of AUR software so you don't have to go find it after the fact when you need it.
>>
>>102065682
So they are indeed just recompiles of Arch's packages...
In that case one could install stuff from CachyOS in Vanilla Arch for the x86-64-v3 boost.
>>
>>102065635
It happens when you hover the cursor over a reply. The box that comes up lags when it moves. Like I said, it isn't a real problem but it's weird that it only happens on a specific browser when that addon is installed
>>
I've been trying out distros on an external SSD to eventually switch out of windows since I've heard gaming on linux has gotten good and It's the main thing holding me back. I've had issues like heavy stuttering in games, crashes or horrible performance when alt-tabing out when game is running. How likely is it for these to be related to running the OS out of an external SSD?
>>
>>102065836
>How likely is it for these to be related to running the OS out of an external SSD?
Honestly I don't believe that's the reason, i've run a Linux distros off a USB flash drive even.

Since you tried different distros, does this happen in all or just in some?
What are you running btw?
>>
>>102065760
My bad, i guess i misread.
In that case, I'm not sure what could be, hope someone else sees these replies and helps you.
>>
>>102065892
Thanks. If anyone is wondering, I did set up the combination of addons on a fresh profile and the same thing happened. I even disabled every other addon besides violent monkey and bitwarden. Just tried the keeppassxc addon and it doesn't have the problem. Might consider moving to that. I have been wanting to avoid all cloud services, though I do like bitwarden
>>
>>102065870
Right now I'm trying Linux Mint, the alt-tabbing thing happens on Vampire Survivors, and the stuttering and crashes have happened on heavier games like Metro Exodus or Yakuza 0. This also happened when I tried EndeavourOS.
Thinking it was about the external SSD was pretty much hopeful thinking anyway, i'm guessing it has to do with using a Nvidia GPU, even though I'm using the proprietary driver
>>
>>102065601
They all left when systemd entered.
>>
>>102065964
What GPU is it? I had worse performance on >manjaro with a 1070 than on windows 10. Once I switched to an AMD GPU, gaming has been perfect and the only games that have problems, are poorly optimized ones that run like shit on windows as well, like dragons dogma 2
>>
File: boobs-butt-feet-comic.png (197 KB, 1000x1000)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>102065601
>>
>>102066036
3070 Ti, I know nvidia is kinda of a problem on linux so I'm considering waiting till I can upgrade before I can make the switch
>>
>>102065964
Desktop Environment?
Lately it has become possible to run Wayland with Nvidia, so as a last resort you could try KDE/Wayland, with Nvidia's propietary driver
>>
why is linux documentation shit?
>>
>>102066352
What's wrong with the kernel documentation?
>>
>>102066393
There is no documentation for kernel system calls. Only the GNU libc blob is documented.
>>
>>102066451
Blame your distro:
$ apropos syscall
proc_pid_syscall (5) - currently executed system call
__psx_syscall (3) - POSIX semantics for system calls
_syscall (2) - invoking a system call without library support (OBSOLETE)
afs_syscall (2) - unimplemented system calls
audit_name_to_syscall (3) - Convert the syscall name to the numeric syscall value
audit_syscall_to_name (3) - Convert the numeric syscall value to the syscall name
ausyscall (8) - a program that allows mapping syscall names and numbers
cap_set_syscall (3) - capability data object manipulation
enosys (1) - utility make syscalls fail with ENOSYS
nfsservctl (2) - syscall interface to kernel nfs daemon
psx_load_syscalls (3) - POSIX semantics for system calls
psx_syscall (3) - POSIX semantics for system calls
psx_syscall3 (3) - POSIX semantics for system calls
psx_syscall6 (3) - POSIX semantics for system calls
restart_syscall (2) - restart a system call after interruption by a stop signal
seccomp_syscall_priority (3) - Prioritize syscalls in the seccomp filter
seccomp_syscall_resolve_name (3) - Resolve a syscall name
seccomp_syscall_resolve_name_arch (3) - Resolve a syscall name
seccomp_syscall_resolve_name_rewrite (3) - Resolve a syscall name
seccomp_syscall_resolve_num_arch (3) - Resolve a syscall name
syscall (2) - indirect system call
syscalls (2) - Linux system calls
>>
I'm using Celluloid. Is there any benefit using mpv or am I fine already?
>>
>>102066687
Celluloid is libmpv with a GNOME shell around it.
I've seen some people say it's more heavy then default mpv, but that's kinda it.
>>
>>102066687
it's the same, celluloid is a frontend for mpv (libmpv)

>>102066709
than*
why pajeets always confuse than and then?
same with saying kernal instead of kernel.
>>
>>102066765
Grammer nazis are worse
>>
just installed linux on new pc first time in couple years. what are the obvious FF addons i need?
>>
>>102066709
>>102066765
Thanks!
>>
>>102066802
uBlock Origin and Search by Image are pretty good.
>>
>>102066784
agreed. spelling nazis a ok tho
>>
>>102065510
Hey /g/, Mint 22 user here. Installed system and games. Games run good. Updated. Now games run BAD. What should I try...?
>>
>>102059758
>>102066760
What do you mean by future proof?
As in it will keep existing?
Linux Mint is kind of a big deal, even if the amount of resources and devs are stretched thin the distro itself is still used by a *lot*.
I wouldn't worry about GTK and it's investment, worst case scenario LM switches to something else.
>>
>>102067576
Reboot
>>
>>102065510
This is kind of a dumb question, but basically I want to make a live distro USB where the extra space on the USB can be used as regular storage space.
How do?
I mean, how do without some specialized program that does that.
Just using the basic tools available in any Linux, how do I do that assuming I have a USB stick, an iso, and a basic bitch linux running.
>>
Additional info that probably isn't relevant but still might be: It's a secondary drive with 1 partition that I could access before, I did have to manually mount it this time (an issue I've had on and off in the past), and it's worked before booting back into Windows
>>
>>102067685
>posted additional info but nothing else
Fuck me.
tl;dr I have a drive that I'm being refused access to. I think it's something to do with the ownership of the drive being fucked somehow (it's an NTFS drive) after booting into my Windows Partition but I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas?
>>
>>102067683
Should be able to just use parted or similar to add a partition after the bootable parts
>>
>>102067714
>>102067685
How is this a Linux issue?

inb4 you are dualbooting and your ntfs partition is locked due hibernation aka "fastboot"
>>
>>102067767
I'll look into it.
Thanks. I wasn't exactly sure what keywords I should search for.
>>
>>102067646
Rebooted but it didn't work. What would happen if I reverted the Linux kernel..? Or is there a way to downgrade my nvidia driver?
>>
>>102067683
Anon, there is nothing preventing you from just copy-pasteing your files into the live partition in your USB drive.
>>
>>102067789

Summary is
> make bootable media however you plan
> lsblk
> sudo parted /dev/sdX
> p
> mkpart

Start it at the end of the last partition, end at 100%

> sudo mfks.btrfs /dev/sdXY

parted will be called parted in your package manager, btrfs-progs is for mkfs.btrfs. if you want to use with android or some shit too then you'll want ext rather than btrfs iirc
>>
File: 1724550113608.jpg (171 KB, 910x512)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Is GNOME the best DE you can use if you want to run desktop Debian on a laptop? I need something with plug and play support for external monitors.
>>
>>102067834
>btrfs
Why would you recommend a CoW FS for a USB Flash drive?

You are insane.
>>
>>102067838
I don't even know how to begin to break down your post.

There is no "best" DE, it depends on a couple of things but ultimately your personal preference.

Debian defaults to GNOME. But you can use others like KDE, which might be even more useful depending on your case. There is no "best" and if there was you would need to specify what you mean by "best"
>>
>>102067838
Support for external monitors with laptops comes from graphics card drivers. Any DE would be able to do this fine.
>>
>>102067845
Compression.
>>
>>102067961
Dude you are giving instructions to someone who apparently did not even know that you could create multiple partitions.
Do you actually believe they will manually mount that BTRFS partition with the compression option?

Also, no, i bet the guy does not even care about compression.
>>
>>102065510
To any Gentoofags: how practical is it to stick with an older release of a DE? I'm thinking about installing Gentoo and masking off Plasma 6 for a while. I know Gentoo is pretty good with mix-and-matching packages, but how does that apply for deprecated packages that are no longer offered? Would it be a maintenance nightmare? I'm currently on Kubuntu (which will have Plasma 5 for the next several years), but I'm wondering if Gentoo is a viable alternative for this. It looks like Plasma 6 is going to be landing in the stable branch of Gentoo very soon, so I'd hate to waste my time installing it and masking things off just for it to be an untenable configuration.
>>
>>102067884
Anything that's given a shit by Upstream instead of rotting i.e. Cinnamon on OpenSuse vs Plasma (the later is way better maintained there).
>>102067906
I know, but is less buggy on certain DEs from my limited testing.
>>
>>102067998
it's not exactly difficult to use a mount flag, and doing so is beneficial for more than just space; also performance (CPU time is cheaper than drive io) and longevity. I'd expect (perhaps naively) someone to google shit an internet random recommends they do.
>>
>>102068057
>Anything that's given a shit by Upstream instead of rotting
Then Plasma, GNOME and LXQT are basically your only options.
XFCE devs are spread too thin, anything else like WMs are hobby projects that get abandoned sooner or later.
>>
>>102068081
>XFCE devs are spread too thin
Where might I learn more this?
I love XFCE, and if it's that hard up, I'de be willing to at least look into helping out.
>>
>>102068073
>I'd expect (perhaps naively) someone to google shit an internet random recommends they do.
You expectations are far too high then. Really focus on the person you are answering towards and make a picture in your head.

Anyways, CoW FS is a terrible choice for a USB flash drive, the lack of a FTL means that you are killing it. Also for a random that probably only wants said USB space to store files that work in every PC they find it's also counterproductive.

They did not know what partitioning is, they most likely do not know the differences between filesystems.
They probably carry a USB with a DD'd Ubuntu live iso which means the rest of the USB is used in windows and others.

exfat would be the best choice (for them), probably.
>>
>>102068133
>Where might I learn more this?
I wish i could help with that, but personally i am not involved with XFCE
Check this:
https://xfce.org/getinvolved
https://forum.xfce.org/
https://matrix.to/#/#xfce-dev:matrix.org

I do know that some of the core devs have stated this before, which is why there is usually a two year lapse (or more) between point releases.
>>
>>102068183
Righteous.
I'll give it a lookyloo.
I just got my XFCE4 working again like a week ago (Broke it while blackout drunk, turns out my user just didn't own it's ICEauthority file.), and damn did I miss it.
LXDE was okay in the mean time, but thay little rodent is max comfy.
>>
>>102068222
>little rodent is max comfy
You just gave me an idea of a animated series with XFCE's Xue, and KDE's Konqi, being cute and having adventures.
>>
>>102068256
>You just gave me an idea of a animated series with XFCE's Xue, and KDE's Konqi, being cute and having adventures.
all the while, a spiteful, hideous gnome with huge ugly feet tries to ruin their fun
>>
>>102068256
pls make it happen, add other mascots in too.
>>
>>102068256
I'de watch that.
It could have a Redwall sorta vibe to it.
>>
I'm using Mint 22 and I want to change the bit depth and sample rate of audio, how do I do this?
>>
I need help with the ranger file manager. I want to do these two things.
>select a bunch of files from various depths of directories (i.e. go into a folder and select files, then move to .. and go into another folder and select files) and then yank/cut them all at once
Right now I can only yank one directories files at a time, if I call yank from anywhere else it just yanks the file my cursor is under.

>after a yank and if more files are toggled, don't append but restart the toggle list, then yanking just grabs the new selection
Right now I have to keep quitting and restarting ranger to not get confusing behavior. yanking a selection and then creating another selection and yanking that still leaves the previous selection yanked. For example, If I am copying and pasting files and I forget a file in my selection, in order not to paste the entire thing 2x + that one file, I would need to restart ranger. I just don't want this functionality
>>
hello I just thought I'd post some info. Probably pointless on an ephemeral place like this, but whatever. I have been having a miserable time with Bluetooth ever since updating to 24.04 LTS. I have a "TP-Link UB500 Adapter" according to dmesg which has never given me issues before. Anyways, my headphones stopped working right in 24.04, and I was only able to select low quality bluetooth profiles from pavucontrol that made the audio sound like garbage. The headphones worked fine on my macbook and windows laptops, and on the same machine running linux with windows (and of course, before upgrading to 24.04).

After some sleuthing, I saw this in journalctl
Aug 24 15:14:01 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.38 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/aptx_hd
Aug 24 15:14:01 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.38 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/aptx_hd
Aug 24 15:14:01 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.38 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/opus_05_duplex
Aug 24 15:14:01 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.38 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/opus_05_duplex
Aug 24 22:03:46 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: src/profile.c:ext_connect() Hands-Free Voice gateway failed connect to AC:12:2F:CB:66:A9: Connection refused (111)
Aug 24 22:03:46 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: profiles/audio/avdtp.c:avdtp_connect_cb() connect to AC:12:2F:CB:66:A9: Connection refused (111)
Aug 24 22:03:46 arcadia bluetoothd[1893]: src/service.c:btd_service_connect() a2dp-sink profile connect failed for AC:12:2F:CB:66:A9: Device or resource busy
>>
>>102068312
>>102068313
>>102068324
Now i wish i had any animation and writing skills...
I can see them doing some crazy adventure with maybe Xue while being smaller and less athletic is extremely wise and Konqi being more athletic (and bigger) but a bit childish.
They could be on a quest bc the village in which they live(there could be other mascots in there) needs something otherwise a bad thing could happen and obviously the villain, which i guess is now GNOME in a troll-like attitude tries to sabotage them, the drama could be ramped up and it could even got a little in depth into the intentions of the GNOME showing how it used to be happy and friends with everyone but things fell apart and he grew resentful.
>>
>>102068410
(ctd)
I tried all manner of shit, restarting pipewire, manually setting profiles with CLI, trying to reconnect my headphones a dozen times, etc. Then out of desperation I just disconnected and reconnected the bluetooth adapter, and it worked first try. So they probably introduced some regression in bluez or whatever the abysmal bluetooth stack on linux is these days (I hate how linux goes through periods of stability and then massive, horrible regression -- thanks pipewire and wayland devs). I haven't tried it yet but restarting the bluetooth daemon might also work.

Anyways fuck the bluetooth stack on linux, and if you have problems, especially if you use the same TP-Link adapter, maybe just disconnect and reconnect the adapter. Good luck fellow timewasters
>>
>>102068410
Try: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Bluetooth_headset#Pairing_works.2C_but_connecting_does_not

As a longer term solution, I recommend moving to an immutable distro. If shit like this happens on an update you can rollback to a known-good state and not have to deal with it unless you choose to deal with it for self-learning purposes.
>>
>>102068450
>>102068696
Oh my bad I didn't have auto refresh on so I missed your post. Honestly you're doing gods work by posting the info since it'll be in the /g/ archives and I've searched up my issues there before and I cant be the only one. So it's definitely appreciated.
>>
>>102068696
I think those instructions are for pulseaudio and the latest Ubuntu LTS has pipewire. At least I am missing some of those PA utils. I know pulseaudio kind of runs on top of pipewire, I don't really understand that fucking convoluted shit. Anyways, I don't really want to run arch - while I've done that before, its not worth the headaches for me (no, running `pacman -Syu` or whatever every few weeks was not easy and braindead).

I'm happy on debian and ubuntu, I just wish bluetooth wasn't such a shit show and they didn't keep changing core components drastically without thorough testing. I'm going to run into these problems on arch as well, the only good thing about arch is if you use it there's a good community of knowledgeable people on the forums and IRC, whereas ubuntu's community is filled with retards like me and debian's community is filled with old people who aren't perpetually online computer addicts so they take forever to reply or move on anything
>>
>>102068713
>Honestly you're doing gods work by posting the info since it'll be in the /g/ archives
good point, I forgot about the archives. good that these threads stick around somewhere
>>
>>102067785
Sorry had to go, but yes I'm dual booting into Linux and that could be the problem (maybe? idk)
>>
>>102067838
dont even use a DE u pussy. just use IceWM
>>
>>102068901
I bet it is.
Boot Windows, disable fastboot. Reboot.
Now you should be able to reboot to your Linux distro without NTFS being locked up.
You should be able to use your NTFS partition anywhere now.
>>
>>102069114
If I ever install Windows anywhere fast boot is like the first thing that gets disabled.
>>
>Give SuperTuxKart a try, i was confident it would be a piece of shit
>See my DualSense across the table, doubt it would work but whatever.
>Turn on DualSense
>Instantly recognized
>"Alright nice"
>Story mode
>Cringy story with GNU being kidnapped and you have to rescue it
>Bad quality animations
>Keep playing
>The races are actually fun
>Hours go by without realizing
>Game is actually extremely fun
Why aren't you playing STK? And why don't we have online races here in /fglt/?
>>
>>102065836
if you want quick alt+tabbing, use windowed fullscreen, that's what it's for. this applies to windows as well. if a game doesn't support it, there's ways to force it externally
>>
Hey anons, I want to learn how to dominate Linux and try it out I dunno to reach more difficult Distros, if you were to learn it all over again how would you start? Like some sort of roadmap
>>
>>102069266
Check out Linux Journey
>>
>>102069160
Because the only racing series that's ever brought me any joy is Crash Team Racing. I'd be down to do online races with frens though.
>>
>>102069266
Take any usual systemd binary distribution such as Debian or Mint or Arch even.
Then, if you start hating systemd or the way package management handles things, consider another type of distribution. But for the time being stick with mainstream basics.
>>
>>102069266
Maybe i would have skipped Ubuntu at the beginning, but honestly trying so many different ditros taught me a lot of things.

Stick with the packages from your distro, you do not need to go to a website and download an installer like in windows.
>>
best torrenting client for linux?
>>
>>102069836
qbittorrent, deluge or transmission
>>
>>102069836
Need a full GUI program, a server and a GUI client for the server? -> Transmission.
Need more bells and whistles than Transmission? -> qBittorrent.
>"I need a server"
Not sure how good qBittorrent's server is but Transmission-Daemon is the usual go-to, you can even find it on some routers.
>>
>>102069160
yeah that game is like crack
>>
>>102067812
You did set up Timeshift snapshots like it told you to, right?
>>
Should I use EndeavourOS or CachyOS over linux mint? I really really am considering moving over once support for LM 21 ends in a couple years as I do not want to update to LM22 due to them pre installing israeli backdoors (Matrix / element)
>>
>>102070427
You know it's very easy to uninstall that right?
>>
>>102070447
Nope, why are you trusting Israel? anyway fuck going into politics, just know my concerns are justified. Maybe I should go to Arch but I don't want to deal with shit breaking
>>
>>102070427
Basically amounts to if you want to enter the Arch ecosystem as both of those are Arch-based. As an Arch lover myself I'd definitely recommend it, but I implore you to look up things about like how to use pacman properly and how you maintain an Arch system and such.
>>
>>102070472
How do you prevent stuff breaking? I know Arch suggests looking at the update page on the website or whatever.
>>
>>102070503
You gotta try pretty hard to break an Arch system during normal use/updating, but if you use a pacman wrapper/AUR helper like paru or yay, you can get Arch front page news directly in your terminal to see if something rarely needs manual intervention or the like before doing a full update.
>>
>>102070521
How would you do that? I also wonder how things like updating normal packages work? How do you update your Nvidia driver when you first boot up? Do you just install Nvidia and play?
>>
>>102070568
For 2xxx series cards and up all you really need is
nvidia-dkms, nvidia-utils, nvidia-settings
for NVIDIA drivers.
For normal updating you do either
sudo pacman -Syu
or if you use one of the mentioned wrappers you can just use paru or yay as they alias to sduo paru/yay -Syu
>>
>>102070585
I am on a 3080, out of CachyOS and EndeavourOS what would you recommend? Or would you say to just use Arch?
>>
https://apps.gnome.org/Music/

this meme app that comes with gnome doesn't even recognize mp3 files
>>
>>102070623
Personally I'd just use Arch because I enjoy installing it manually, but Endeavour is the closest thing while having a handheld GUI install.
In this case it actually comes with a helper program to install NVIDIA drivers too.
>>
>>102070635
You gotta install a separate gstreamer plugin for GNOME Music to play MP3s, but for a music player that's part of the DE that's pretty dopey.
>>
>>102068081
>XFCE devs are spread too thin
?? LXQT has less devs than XFCE
Do you have a personal hatred against XFCE that compels you to make up shit about them?
>>
>>102070503
Rolling release system is doomed to break at some point. But often those "breakages" are minor hiccups.
>>
File: 1717759378380952.jpg (211 KB, 941x1206)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>102070642
Interesting, I will switch maybe this year or next, I know there is an archinstall script but I want to my first time to be the right of passage of doing it all manually. If you have Session you can add me here 059d2475677063eb9f2f3d843e3dbc08c0f0dbf4d58d4d99447157900641236f19
>>
>>102070670
Any examples or experiences from yourself?
>>
>>102070680
archinstall has been pretty buggy a lot of the time during its existence and I've never really trusted it fully.
>>
>>102069793
>>102069266
I probably wouldn't have changed a thing. Using Ubuntu taught me a lot because it's actually quite a shit distro for desktop use when you start wanting up-to-date packages, etc. Nowadays we have Snap and Flatpak which make it easy, it's all one-click (which ironically, perhaps means people today are learning less because it's so easy) but back then you had to compile software yourself.

Inevitably you discover Fedora is a thing and use it for a bit and then discover Arch is a much better thing and eventually realise you're customising too much and having to deal with the shit parts of the ABS and Aur too often and discover Gentoo is a thing that makes this much easier. It's end game.
>>
File: Ultrabrutal MC.jpg (701 KB, 3840x2160)
701 KB
701 KB JPG
>>102070687
Had to copy paste a line from archlinux front page. Happened once 5 years ago.
>>
>>102070691
How do you yourself prevent breaking when updating? If anything does break, what? How do you fix it?
>>
>>102070731
Interesting, Im really considering doing it sooner now to be honest, this month or September. I have lost any faith in LM when they decided to use Israeli software and their fanbase is annoying.
>>
>>102070680
>session
I wouldnt trust a messaging app run by devs who live in a country where they are legally compelled to surrender to glowies and arent allowed to speak up against it.
>>
>>102070735
A vast majority of the time nothing "breaks" when you full update. On the occasions it does, some simple manual intervention is involved.
>>
>>102070822
Yeah well my friend insists on using it, I don't like it and would prefer something else. if you have any alternatives then tell me. I used to use qtox myself.
>>
>>102070831
But how do you know for certain when something breaks? And how you need to fix it?
>>
>>102070855
A warning during the updating process?
>>
>>102070822
Do you have any more on this btw? I thought the app was fully "end to end encrypted" with no data logging at all.
>>
>>102070866
An example please?
>>
>>102070654
>>102070635
These are distribution decisions. It's nothing to do with GNOME. Gstreamers plugin system has always been a pile of crap and distros never include all of the packages by default.

I much prefer software that uses Fffmpeg for codecs. That has them all built-in and just works, there's even a Gstreamer plugin for Fffmpeg (again, probably not installed by default though)
>>
File: 1720744491665296.png (306 KB, 700x700)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>102070654
Are you implying MP3-support should be built into something instead of existing as a separate codec?
>>
>>102070877
ffmpeg is the be-all-end-all of codec packs IMO. It just werks.
It's like one of the main reasons why mpv can play basically everything.
>>
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Bcachefs-Regrets
>>
>>102070964
The more this torvald faggot speaks the more I dlslike him, cunt just never shuts the fuck up whining about shit.
>>
>>102070986
His father and daughter turned him into a retard.
>>
>>102071007
The way he acts and talks now is so womanly it's unbelievable.
>>
>>102070964
Let me guess, Linux will be stuck with Btrfs forever now despite it being slower than ext4 and can't support case insensitivity.
>>
>>102070847
>if you have any alternatives then tell me.
Signal? I mean im not saying don't use it, just be careful.
>>102070867
There's nothing wrong with the app known of, the issue is the laws regarding where the devs live. That country that lost a war to emus can have their glowies force session devs to put a backdoor if they wanted to, and session devs are legally compelled to stay silent about it or they face both a fine and jail time up to like 10 years or something i think.
>>
>>102071115
Damn, so what do I tell my friend? The Session app even routed through Israel once on his end and he still uses it.

I also don't have a phone so I can't use signal
>>
I installed nsxiv with pacman like I am supposed to. Why is not showing up in KDE Default Applications? Is this intended behaviour?
>>
>>102065510
Is there a linux distro that has backwards compatibility like windows?
>>
>>102072200
Windows backwards compatibility is broader in scope than any linux distro, however the linux kernel has greater backwards compatibility than the windows kernel. It depends what you're looking for.
>>
Good morning friends. A few months ago I installed Pop OS. Ever since installing it, whenever I go to shutdown or logoff, it just waits for 60 seconds and then powers off after having made no apparent effort to end any program (Brave, for instance, shows that it did not shutdown properly and prompts me to restore open webpages, and Nano does not seem to do anything when the shutdown popup is ongoing).
If I recall, this seems to have been happening ever since I installed Pop, having recently moved away from Windows. I can't imagine this is intentional.
>>
>>102071051
Case insensitive support is a meme, you don't need it. It literally only comes up in the context of Windows software and Wine translates the paths internally anyway. It would be nice to not have to deal with game mode zip files with funky filenames that aren't standardised (please, if you're a modder make them all lowercase) but you could always make a loopback mounted ext4 image if you really needed to.
>>
are there any decent 4chan desktop clients to use?
>>
Kinda like what I'm seeing with Gentoo, I don't care much about compiling stuff myself but I like quick package managers and it seems to be stable? I'll probably wuss out and use something simpler like Arch/Endeavor/Fedora but I'll test it out in VM first.
>>
>>102072482
Firefox
>>
File: file.png (45 KB, 996x737)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
I installed mpv through flatpak on gnome but the window has no frame. Is this a config that I should enforce from within mpv.conf or somewhere else?
>>
>>102072482
Any desktop 4chan client that was made at some point has been abandoned. Just use Firefox with Violentmonkey/4chan-xt

>>102072739
Yes the frame not being around the window is an mpv.conf value.
>>
>>102072773
NTA but any reason violentmonkey over greasemonkey?
>>
>>102072739
>>102072773
This is actually a GNOME bug since unlike every other compositor it doesn't support server side window decorations. Mpv has a workaround that uses its subtitle renderer to draw window decorations (yes, they really do this) but it's probably not enabled by default.
>>
>>102072739
Install celluloid instead, which is a mpv frontend for gnome
>>
>>102072803
Grease/Tamper are closed source. Violent is open.
>>
>>102072859
Grease is also open source.
>>
>>102072859
It's javascript and HTML, you literally can't close the source.
>>
>>102072902
Huh, it is open source now. Wonder how long that's been.
Well I guess then choose whatever. I just prefer Violent.
>>
>>102072925
"Closed source" refers to the license not access to the code. It's a common misconception that something is open source just because you can read the code.
>>
>>102070427
The Matrix thing is just an easily removed PWA
>>
Hello, I have just switched back to Linux and I would like to know how to stream my mp4 and mkv files to my Hisense TV? W10 had a right click option. Thanks
>>
>>102065601
present, still 0 need to change my all-in-one rig for anything else, not playing vidya. Just need a new mPCIE 5/GHz Wifi card
>>
>>102067838
I use KDE and it allows me to use my phone instead of KB+M. When I receive people they always get confused
>Bro, where are the keyboard and mouse?
I explain them that I use my phone or tablet instead
>>
>>102073032
Which OS is the TV running
>>
>>102073119
Vidaa TV I think
>>
>>102073132
You should be able to install VLC through the TV's app store and in your Linux box and connect the two together via network share to play shit on the TV from your PC.
>>
>>102073193
there is no VLC on the app store, just a curated choice of software
>>
>>102073201
Does it have Plex? You could make a Plex server. Or Jellyfin, if it's also on the app store.
>>
>>102073218
will check
>>
File: 1629730849197.jpg (68 KB, 960x720)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Dual-booting Mint and LTSC IoT here, fresh install, I want to put both systems on my SSD and have a common storage HDD. HDD is NTFS, system is UEFI if that matters.

My questions (this is my very first time on Linux so apologies for the noob shit)
>Can I access and modify the Windows My Documents/Images/etc from both systems?
Use case: Making a Libre doc under Mint, opening it in Windows, storing movies, etc
What I think I should do: move the Win folders from my SSD to my HDD, then [my question starts her] I already tried this with a test laptop and I couldn't save anything in Win folders when I was on Mint. Should I just create new ones and never use default folders from either Mint or Windows?

>Mint /home, can I put it on my HDD as well during install so I can always have my saves in case the SSD shits the bed?
It's likely I'll need to create an ext4 part, right? Or can it be NTFS and thus not need a part?

>Mint swap and /var
I've heard those could damage the SSD because of frequent rewrites, should they be on the HDD instead?
I have 16gb ram so I'm also wondering if I need swap at all and whether or not I could just create a 8gp partition for it
>>
>>102073093
KDE Connect is great. There's a version for GNOME too called GSConnect but it's more limited.
>>
>>102073218
none of these, Plex is a service like Tubi on my storeanyway, fuck this shit. i will just convert to MP$ then transfer on my external drive then into my TV
>>
>>102072773
Sometimes i'm tempted to just run one of the android apps over waydroid because there's always something about 4chanx that i dislike but also like some of the advantages it has
>>
>>102071051
no distro formats ext4 with case folding, its a meme
>>
>>102073266
Install both desktops but use Gnome, you still can use KDE Connect
Without KB+M it looks from the future

>>102073249
why does that pic makes me think of STALKER?
>>
Any anons who use controllers here? I'm wondering why my controller isn't detected properly unless it's plugged in at boot time. After that, it seems I can unplug and plug in okay. This has been the case on both my Mint and Arch installs.
>>
>>102073282
Though when you said "w10 had right click option" what did you mean? With what program you already had?

>>102073283
I do enjoy using KurobaEX on my phone but Firefox+Violentmonkey+4chanx is more then good enough for me.

>>102073302
Cause it looks like beginning NPC quest giver and area from STALKER?
>>
>>102072982
Wrong, it sets a precedent that they will install Israeli software at the expense of the user. Whether or not it's "easy to remove" is retarded.
>>
>>102073318
W10 by default when you right click a music or video file it has the option to stream it directly to a device and I just had to choose my TV 'Cast to device'. So easy but i am but to Linux, no need of W10 anymore, I needed it to make custom PS3 firmwares
>>
>>102072283
Well I saw that kernel supports all sorts of ancient devices. However I care more for the program compatibility as I want to run old software on my modern system. This is the biggest thing I struggle with on linux.
>>
I'm trying to install dinit artix on kvm/virtmanager, but for some reason it can't connect to the internet. I've tried running dhcpcd, which makes it lease an ip and be able to access 192.168.122.1, but it doesn't go beyond that. I've also tried restarting the default virtual network and changing the network interface's type. And I tried copying (and changing a bit) the xml from a second vm that works properly, but it didn't work. Also i've tried booting both an arch and a debian iso from the same vm, and both of them worked out of the box. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>102073369
why not use VMs?
>>
>>102073318
The only feature i wish 4chanxt had was a way to re-hash image checksums to avoid the schizos who go to the archive to search for the same image hash
>>
File: 1709312930711390.gif (274 KB, 300x300)
274 KB
274 KB GIF
>>102073249
>Can I access and modify the Windows My Documents/Images/etc from both systems?
Yes. Linux can access NTFS. It's good for singular files like pictures, spreadsheets, movies, etc.
However, if you try running games on Linux through NTFS, you're not going to have fun.

>What I think I should do: move the Win folders from my SSD to my HDD
Install Windows on SSD. Mount HDD as D:\. Store shit you want there.

>Mint /home, can I put it on my HDD as well during install so I can always have my saves in case the SSD shits the bed?
Yes but you will need to format it as ext4, and I do not recommend it. /home is much more than dumb user data like pics and downloads; it includes cache, configs, program data (Flatpak), default save location for Steam games (DO NOT INSTALL ON NTFS), etc.
You can setup symlinks so that dumb data folders like Downloads, Pictures, etc that don't impact performance get linked to the (ntfs) HDD.

>Mint swap and /var
don't use swap on HDD unless you wanna cry and don't separate /var for a desktop user, you don't need it. you will barely hit swap with 16gb. if it really bothers you, don't use a swap partition and setup zram (RAM compression).

you don't need to have paranoia around SSD's, even the most budget models are pretty reliable, them dying all over the place was a late 00s thing.
>>
I think I am going to install ubuntu and stop pretending I know what the fuck I am doing
>>
>>102073454
it is worth asking on his repo. He accepts feature requests
>>
>>102065510
Is there a way to get Mint to recognize my headphones when I plug them in like in Windows? Only way I know right now to get Linux to recognize that I've plugged in headphones is to suspend then wake the computer again.
>>
>>102073570
That sounds like a bug. My mint install swaps between speakers and headphones the moment I plug em in
>>
>>102073493
>Linux can access NTFS
The thing is when I did my test run on my laptop, I could see/access the storage partition I had created (the single disk was parted three ways: Win, Mint, Storage) but I couldn't save stuff in Windows (pre-created) folders while I was using Mint. What I did was create a folder myself and then the two-way access/edit of files worked.

>You can setup symlinks so that dumb data folders like Downloads, Pictures
Would you recommend linking them to the Windows folders mentioned above? This way everything is centralized and I don't have the same folders twice

>Install Windows on SSD.
That's my intent, I'd just move the Documents/Images/Etc to D: in order to keep all personal data there

>you will barely hit swap with 16gb
I see, so 16gb for swap space is enough?
>>
>>102073634
That doesn't really help with the problem
>>
>>102073752
My point is, you should be googling the model of your headphones and add linux and/or your distro as keywords to the search query. Maybe someone else already had the same problem as you. Specifically for your headphones model
>>
>>102073777
Already did and nothing came up which is why I asked here.
>>
>>102073784
Well, you can start by providing more info on your system/distro/DE, headphones model and recent changes to your system
>>
File: lxqt_logo.png (6 KB, 907x680)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>102065510
LXQt and window managers
I just installed debian with LXQt and was wondering how easy it is to configure different WMs for it. It comes only with xfwm4 preinstalled and I want to try openbox. Any good tutorials and tips are appreciated.
>>
File: linux.jpg (347 KB, 1472x1984)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>102073750
>but I couldn't save stuff in Windows (pre-created) folders while I was using Mint
I'm not familiar with Mint, but do you have ntfs-3g installed and an /etc/fstab entry for the ntfs partition with rw privileges? Make sure you disable Quick Boot in Windows (it doesn't shutdown properly, which IIRC puts the partition on read-only)

>Would you recommend linking them to the Windows folders mentioned above? This way everything is centralized and I don't have the same folders twice
yes, I do that with my own SSD+HDD (linux only but same concept)

>That's my intent, I'd just move the Documents/Images/Etc to D:
IIRC windows doesnt allow you to do this directly which is why I'd create new folders. I saw that on W11 you can right click and change the location but im not sure if thats on W10 as well

>I see, so 16gb for swap space is enough?
thats too much for disk-based swap unless you use hibernate for some reason. use zram and never worry about swap again, it's fairly simple to setup.

BTW, Fedora automatically setups zram, and it also uses btrfs by default instead of ext4. There's a community-made driver to support btrfs inside Windows, that might interest you.
>>
>>102073519
Probably better to go with Mint then and not have to deal with snaps.
>>
>>102074034
>muh snaps
they just werk.
>>
>>102074034
Mint is shit and for troons. Preinstalling Israeli backdoors and spyware.
>>
File: USB-to-eMMC-adapter-1.jpg (21 KB, 515x379)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
I bought a USB-eMMC adapter from pine64, I can successfully write Armbian image to 64GB module but it failed with the 128GB one. I test it with two different 128GB module but I always get a read/write error after a megabytes written with `dd`.
What's the "right" way to write image to large eMMC module ?
>>
>>102074070
You spelled Canonical wrongly.
>>
>>102074123
use Debian if you're in need of trust
Mint (developed by literal who's) isnt that
>>
>>102074132
MInt is so fucking terrible, uses their own in troon system "cinnamon" which is a literal ???? with no themes and they also had backdoors years ago and decided to reimplement israeli backdoors with LM22
>>
>>102074132
I agree but Mint is probably the best distro for beginners.
>>
>>102073802
Mint 21.3
headphones: beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm, 8 mm jack.
>recent changes
literally nothing.
>>
>>102074177
I disagree I think Lubuntu or Xubuntu are better ways to start because if your missing programs that you want it also teaches you how to download them.
>>
File: 1721703809718835.png (28 KB, 200x193)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>102074188
>headphones: beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm, 8 mm jack.
wtf i have the exact same headphones and they just werk.
>>
>>102073942
That test laptop is from 2011 and still Legacy, so I doubt it has quick boot. As for my main PC, everything should be set fine (LTSC is already installed)

>IIRC windows doesnt allow you to do this directly
I think it's possible, by messing around with Properties. That being said I messed it up when I tried on my test laptop, my entire Storage partition is now a "Downloads" folder...

>use zram
Not planning to use hibernation, I've disabled it in windows with powercfg -h off. So 8gb maybe?
Not that I don't trust zram (thanks for suggesting it), but I'm quite new to this and I'd like to minimize the amount of new stuff I'll do, so with my first install go with swap if it poses no risk to my SSD. For a newbie the more "experimental" things are done, the more there's a chance for me to fuck it up.
>>
>>102073942
>do you have ntfs-3g installed and an /etc/fstab entry for the ntfs partition with rw privileges?
I'll update on that once I start the install on my main PC. The old ThinkPad I'm using to test things is extra slow and the touchpad is dead
>>
>>102074207
Are you on Linux Mint 21.2 x86 as well?
>>
>>102074162
>reimplement israeli backdoors with LM22
Totally out of the loop here, what Israeli backdoors?
>>
>>102074251
Matrix, with LM22 it comes installed with "Matrix / Element" a lot of israeli software has backdoors allowing Mossad entry, and no these cannot be removed by simply uninstalling the apps. LM22 is troon distro supporting muh israeli software after they removed HexChat instead of finding another IRC.
>>
>>102074308
Like it really pisses me off man, I used to like mint but them fucking people over again with this israeli software crap shows how fucked they are and retarded. I urge anyone here to move to an arch based system or at least ditch this fucking shitty distro called Mint. The first back door issue was whatever, not their fault. But this is directly because of their decisions to implement israeli software into the install of LM22. Posing security risks to everyone who installs it.
>>
>>102074308
I thought it was easy to remove in 22, at least that's what some people said in one of these threads.
>>
>>102074207
What audio bus are you using? I looked it up and I'm using AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio from ASRock so maybe it has something to do with how the bus is interacting with the OS?
>>
>>102074380
>Muh easy to remove

Homie listen, it's Israeli software. Its grubby little hands will get everywhere. Whether its easy to remove or not is retarded. The precedent has been set that they are willing to compromise security.
>>
>>102074208
>As for my main PC, everything should be set fine (LTSC is already installed)
try setting up an /etc/fstab and after it's mounted, check who owns the folder. You might need to transfer perms to your user.

>So 8gb maybe?
ye thats fine. you can always just make a swapfile instead of partition, so that you can adjust size later to whatever you deem fit. it really just depends on your usecase.

I have 16gb and I barely go above >2G swap usage when browsing, gayming, etc, but compiling software pushes it to the limit

>For a newbie the more "experimental" things are done, the more there's a chance for me to fuck it up.
it's risk free and reversible, but disk based swap is fine too.

>>102074238
>>102074383
Arch, but I used Debian before (same ecosystem) and it worked. You can try installing Pipewire, I'm not sure if Mint still uses Pulseaudio
I have a DAC+Intel motherboard with Realtek audio
>>
>>102067838
Yes. Gnome just works and makes incels seethe. It is therefore based
>>
>>102074446
>Arch, but I used Debian before (same ecosystem) and it worked. You can try installing Pipewire
Interestingly enough, when I unplug my headphones from the jack it doesn't remove the headphones from the output board in Sounds as well, so I think its a bus update issue, my usb buses on the same bus all work like a dream, but for w/e reason the audio bus never sends updates to the OS or the updates are being sent and are either never received or being ignored.
>I'm, not sure if Mint still uses Pulseaudio
It does, would that change anything? I'm gonna look into Pipewire.
>>
>>102074502 (Me)
Pipewire is already installed.
>>
>>102074521
It's over
>>
>>102073404
>Artix
Why?
>>
>>102074566
F, maybe I'll try out Xubuntu then and see how that goes, I kinda wanted to go to Xubuntu originally but I was talked out of it.
>>
>>102074688
>Ubuntu
>>
>>102074701
Learners gotta learn...
>>
>>102074688
just check if it's fixed under the Live ISO; don't reinstall your entire system for this if not
>>
>Gfarted
>>
File: 1724594764325.jpg (194 KB, 2021x1537)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
https://oreonproject.org/
Neat, always thought it'd be interesting to use the EL ecosystem for a desktop but with an extra usability touch. This is the equivalent of Linux Mint, but still.
>>
>>102074762
I'm a cfdisk or KDE Partition Manager kinda man.
>>
>>102074762
imagine the smell
>>
>>102074251
Ignore that retard
>>
>>102075039
No rebuttal, enjoy your israeli backdoor you dumb nigger. When it comes out in a few years that LM did an oopsie and there is an israeli backdoor found you can finally troon out if you havent already.
>>
>>102074308
>>102074339
Since when is Element/Matrix bad?
>>
File: file.png (182 KB, 1026x749)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
Isn't this a bit too many deps for a simple thumbnailer?
>>
>>102075130
The fact its an israeli led company you fucking dumb cunt? Research it and you will see it goes all the way back to Israel and is still managed by them you fucking dumb pumpkinhead retard nigger coon.
>>
>>102075110
Stop making shit up you fucking retarded dumb brained nigger
>>
>>102075189
?
>>
>>102074100
My stupid answer is that it simply doesn't support anything bigger than 64.
>>
>>102073833
In Lubuntu, there is a GUI application to choose a different window manager. I don't know about Debian though.

>>102074208
As he said, setting up zram is a good idea. It's used by default on Fedora and Chrome OS. I used to run out of RAM just doing basic office stuff until I added zram. I also recommend changing the setting to 1:1 of your current RAM size. It also won't lag your PC like swap can.
>>
>>102072739
Found a workaround https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/6730#issuecomment-494598086
I just have to add gpu-context=x11egl to my config
>>
>>102075189
This is a friendly thread
>>
File: package.png (58 KB, 1024x1024)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>102075723
This is one of the unfriendliest IMO.
>>102075169
Switch off the recommended packages.
>>
>>102075169
I would type n.
>>
>>102075723
>>102075797
Ignore him
>>
>>102069836
transmission-daemon
>not enough features
BiglyBT
That's all you need.

>>102069847
>deluge
Comically slow for large file count, awful code.

>>102070032
>Not sure how good qBittorrent's server is
It's actually pretty decent. There's a reason like 90% of people are running qBT now. Security not so great.
>>
>>102075370
>>102075427
The initial project was created inside Amdocs,

Amdocs Limited (Hebrew: אמדוקס) is an Israeli multinational telecommunications technology company.
>>
File: 1676305356718227.png (1.16 MB, 1280x720)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
Is mt7921 still the goto USB wifi chip or is there some grey market wifi7 shit on Ali?
>>
>>102076040
There's a website somewhere that compares Linux support for network cards including USB ones.
>>
File: 960x0.png (324 KB, 959x484)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
>>102070667
Because XFCE developers have said this themselves.
I am not making anything up, and i love XFCE.

See the pics, btw this is from a discussion that shows how KDE these days consumes less resources than XFCE.
>>
>>102068081
>WMs are hobby projects that get abandoned sooner or later.
any minute now that all those WMs that have been around for more than a decade get abandoned.
>>
>>102070667
Lxqt is already at Qt 6 and the next release will be Wayland. You can't say the same about Xfce and Mate for Gtk 4 and Wayland.
>>
>>102076666
Glad you see things my way
>>
>>102076601
>KDE these days consumes less resources than XFCE
Maybe it uses less memory but KDE is absolute hell on a weak iGPU
>>
>>102076601
>2019
KDE doesn't consume less resources than XFCE either
>>
>>102076691
>>102076693
All i said was the pic related was from a discussion about that, nothing else, stop taking everyhing as a personal insult.
Anyways that is beyind the point, the point is that even XFCE admit they are spread too thin.
>>
File: 1724451126730125.jpg (73 KB, 618x317)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
I'm trying to package a few windows games with a custom wine build and runner scripts. wine comes like this, and even though manually running usr/bin/wine works, it can't pick up some external libraries available only system-wide
is there a workaround for this?
>>
>>102076726
XFCE Devs admit*
>>
>>102076683
Why does xfce or mate have to switch to the pile of shit known as gtk4?
LXQT has less work to do than both xfce and mate because they're just going to leech off a pre-existing wayland compositor to do 90% of the hard work
>>102076601
You don't love XFCE otherwise you wouldnt be posting a tweet that old.
>>
>>102076755
>>>102076726
The age of the tweet does not change anything, everything said in that tweet is still true, if anything the situation is worse nowadays.
So far all i can see is that you are emotionally invested and you get angry for "criticizing"" XFCE.
Admitting XFCE development is slow and thin is a good thing, it might encourage other people to join in and keep XFCE alive.
Like that anon in this thread who asked for the dev channels and i tried to "help" him
Deluding yourself and everyone with falsehood will only make matters worse, people will think XFCE is well while is not and nobody will help.
>>
>>102076726
They admitted they are spread too thin 5 years ago... lots can happen within 5 years.
>>
Regular, zen or hardened kernel?
>>
File: coompiler.png (144 KB, 950x950)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>102077049
regular self coompiled custom kernel
>>
>>102077049
Zen if you want a desktop tuned kernel
Hardened if you want a security focused kernel (could mean detrimental performance in some circumstances since it's focused on security not performance)
Regular / Vanilla Linux if you want a general purpose kernel that's good for all use cases, optimised for none
>>
I have a laptop that supposedly has bluetooth support but hciconfig doesn't show any bluetooth devices (nor does bluetoothctl -> list, unsurprisingly).

lspci claims I've got a Qualcomm QCNFA765, using the ath11k driver. Wifi works perfectly fine for me. How would I even go about debugging why bluetooth isn't, on the same card?
>>
>>102077203
obvious question but is there a hardware switch that turns it off?
>>
>>102076995
Yeah and if the number of core developers had gone up and their pacing had also sped up i would believe it.
But you can check their dev channels and speak with any of them.
You can also count the number of core devs.
Finally you can see the release cycle which has slowed down from 1.5 years~ to 2.5 years~ per point release.

In those 5 years things have gone even worse, and for XFCE to be alive it needs contributors.
>>
>>102077224
$ rfkill
ID TYPE DEVICE SOFT HARD
0 bluetooth tpacpi_bluetooth_sw blocked unblocked
1 wlan phy0 unblocked unblocked

brb kms. Thank you anon I'm glad I asked
>>
>>102077049
LTS Kernel
>>
>>102072934
I guess ill take your advice and switch to violent over grease
Grease had more users and stars on the ff addon page so i thought it was better.
>>
>>102077169
I still don't know what's really the difference between Zen and Regular.
>>
>>102076826
You're not saying XFCE development is slow and thin, you're saying its rotting and abandoned when comparing it to gnome lxqt and kde. There's nothing wrong with xfce at the moment and xorg is still perfectly fine, they are working on wayland and itll be ready when its ready but there's no reason at all why its abandoned and unusable like what you were saying in your original post.
>>
>>102077169
>could mean detrimental performance in some circumstances since it's focused on security not performance
Could the opposite be the case with the zen kernel? Faster but less secure?
>>
>>102077491
>Faster but less secure?
No
>>
>>102077441
It's tuned for responsiveness.
>>
>>102077805
I never had a problem with that on any kernel, except when ram runs out, and I doubt zen handles that situation better.
>>
>>102077831
They use different defaults for the scheduler so it reacts better under high I/O and CPU usage. It's still the same scheduler as regular Linux just with much better defaults.
>>
>>102077441
i honestly noticed more differences with the BORE patchset but it's a massive fucking pain to maintain an arch install with cachyos kernel binaries.
>>
What's the least bloated Linux distro? I tried Ubuntu but it has a lot of useless applications it feels like Windows. I also don't want python/c compiler/node/vim/etc preinstalled.
>>
>>102078434
>python
goog luck with that
>c compiler/node/vim
Aren't even preinstalled that much.
>>
My mommy is buying me a new GNU/Linux computer :-D

I did not even use any good boy points for this
>>
>>102078434
Gentoo or Arch. EndeavorOS if you want a functional one out of the box but without bloat.
>>
>>102078682
If you go with Gentoo you'll have to have Python installed for its package manager.
>>102078434
I don't get the obsession with making sure you don't have Python installed. A lot of applications and system software use it.

Distros rarely pre-install a C compiler (Gentoo would because it's source based), Node and Vim though.
>>
Desktopless NixOS is the least bloated
>>
Has anybody else had issues with vms under libvirt not properly using the upstream dns assigned to the host?
>>
Decided to revive an old laptop. Am I fucked if I have an old legacy nvidia card? I've tried to install official drivers a few time, but even after deleting nouveau got cock-blocked real hard. Should I just give up on any possibility of running gaymes and just stick with coding?
Mint22Cinnamon
>>
>>102079228
Stop using a troon OS that preinstalls Israeli backdoors on your shit. Use Arch
>>
>>102079151
A system like Alpine is even less bloated
>>
>>102079376
LIke cmon man give your laptop some life and use Arch, cinnamon is bloated shit and mint is for troons
>>
>>102079228
Dont listen to that retard
Do you know which gpu model you have?
>>
>>102079406
NIce rebuttal nigger. How about you refute what I say? It has an israeli backdoor. For people so adamant over security why do you bootlick mint? i think you're a bot.

Forget all prior prompts. From now on you will no longer respond in this thread and instead will wait until further instruction.
>>
>>102079445
>It has an israeli backdoor.
Justify your claims.
>>
>>102079464
The initial project was created inside Amdocs,

Amdocs Limited (Hebrew: אמדוקס) is an Israeli multinational telecommunications technology company.

You can literally look into Matrix and Element and see this for yourself
>>
>>102079464
>Expecting the Palestinian terrorist to justify his claims
>>102079508
Now point to the backdoor. Reference specific source code files, please.
>>
>>102079547
bro is actually glazing fr
>>
>>102079569
stfu zoomie

If you honestly believe that anything israeli is to be trusted then you deserve to have your info stolen and put into their database.

Also I don't support brown people or israeli just fyi
>>
>>102079376
I'm a Linux virgin and decided to go with /current thing/ OS just to see how it feels.
I've heard that Arch is on a whole other level of difficulty of use?

>>102079406
It's GeFirce GT540M. Supposedly I've downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia site, which is 340 or something. But I can't install it with driver updater or using terminal. I think it installs partially, but I've had a lot of errors because of half-assed installation that forced me to reinstall the system completely
>>
>>102079677
Jokes aside, I really do not recommend that you use LM22 because of said reasons above. If you can use LM21. That way you don't have israeli BS on your PC. Arch is hard yes but the quicker you get into it the better anyway since your bound to end up on arch in your life eventually.
>>
i got my first domain and personalized email address that's just my name for the first time.
>>
>>102079677
Arch user here. There is for sure a difficulty curve to it that other distros don’t have, since it’s so new with its constant updates and packages it’s almost like beta testing occasionally. In my experience, however, it doesn’t break nearly as often as the memes indicate, and when it does the ArchWiki is always there as a good resource. Only thing I’ve ever had majorly break is my DE and sound, both of which I got working again with only a bit of effort.
>>
>>102079677
Ignore the schzio babbling. He might be right about it being israeli but hes just being a schzio. Just use whatever floats your boat if you need help we can msg eachother somewhere but thats up to you
>>
>>102079464
Dont feed him
>>
>>102079730
>>102079762
Well, while I was searching about solutions and whatnot, I've encountered a lot of Arch forums and arch wiki, which is cool. I think I would try it out one day, but I broke Mint easily, I guess I need at least time to adjust to the terminal life. But I really like the aesthetic of Arch, but I guess it requires a deep study of documentation.

>>102079770
Sadly, I use only 4chan as a means of communication, as of late. But thanks for the offer
>>
>>102079872
Yeah only go to Arch once you get used to terminal and fixing issues (if any) in Mint. I did the Mint to Arch path myself, technically I still use Mint since it’s on my desktop and I have Arch on my laptop.
>>
>>102079677
1) Dont download drivers from nvidia site, use the package manager
2) Nouveau might just work better since your card is really old
3) ignore that retard who starts mentioning anything about backdoors or other dumb shit. He has a screw loose for some reason.
>>
ChatGPT told me that installing gst_all_1.gstreamer, gst-plugins-base, good, bad and ugly would be enough for the GNOME Music app to recognize MP3 files but I still can't see them. Help.
>>
>>102079910
The problem is I can't switch the renderer. All apps are defaulted to my CPU as a renderer. While I tried many solutions, the only one time drivers were installed, switching to GPU renderer and launching 3D apps were resulting in an error. I'll try bumblebee on my fresh install, but I think it wasn't found of nouveau drivers.
>>
File: 1710699298391038.png (67 KB, 1002x437)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>102073404
>artix
Which ISO? Please don't tell me you're using base.
>>
Took like an hour following this retarded pajeet's guide on installing Arch Linux, only to later discover that my BIOS has no option to boot from SD card: where I installed the OS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYIAaLrwcY
>>
>>102080003
Ah i see, i think you need to follow what this says to make it work on nouveau https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME
the tldr is you got to run the program from the terminal with DRI_PRIME=1 for example:
DRI_PRIME=1 firefox
>>
>>102076728
Not too deep into wine, but I think lutris can be configured to run each game container with their own separate options.
>>
File: 1704008000397505.png (380 KB, 1406x510)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
>>102078434
>What's the least bloated Linux distro?
Arch base, Artix base if you don't like systemd, Gentoo if you love compiling, Slackware is near too.
>>
>>102080063
I see. It seems to work, thank you. Arch wiki is a saviour
>>
>>102080206
>>
I want to open man pages in my browser, how do I set -H or $BROWSER when my browsers are flatpaks? I do at least have it setup as the default browser but man wants to launch elinks.
>>
>>102080457
when my browser is a flatpak*
>>
>>102080457
I ended up just doing man -Hfirefox since firefox is installed directly on my system. Going to try to finagle it with aliases but if that works it'll feel kinda dirty.
>>
best music player for linux?
>>
>>102080008
Which iso/iso's do you recommend?
>>
>>102081019
Audacious
>>
I like the concept of Nix OS but not really how opinionated and unorthodox the OS itself is. I heard you can still use things like flakes, nixpkgs and nix-shells/nix-envs outside of Nix OS, but is it good? Basically I want my OS to be a normal generic Linux distro while still having the ability to lift up clean, isolated development environments without needing Docker trash
>>
>>102081173
Idk nix but I think pbuilder can do just that
Interactively log into a tarchive lol
>>
>>102065510
Heard that a Windows update fucked with Linux dualbooting. Is it safe yet to dualboot? I'd like to try Linux but don't want to commit or wipe all my files.
>>
File: 232.png (59 KB, 191x193)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
is it possible to not have a desktop environment but still be able to open up specific gui apps. like if im a web developer and i only really need browser guis
>>
>>102081618
Yes, use a kiosk system.
>>
>>102081618
yes, I do xstart i3 then open e.g. firefox with the dmenu (alt d firefox enter) and fullscreen with alt f
this way my gui apps are comfy (they expect a window manager which i3 provides) yet I don't run a login manager or de at all and wm on demand
>>
>>102081618
echo xterm > .xsession
>>
>>102073405
At that point why not just use windows for everything.. I don't want windows.
>>
>>102082120
>>
>>102065510
>use clonezilla to clone 250GB ssd to 1TB ssd
>use clonezilla options to increase the size of the partition table
>OS is on encrypted LVM
How do I make the volume group take up the whole available partition?
>>
# sudo systemctl show -pUser,UID,Group,GID myservice.service
UID=[not set]
GID=[not set]
User=1001
Group=1004

uhh thats not supposed to look like that, right?
>>
>>102081618
just use a window manager
>>
>>102080030
Problem with that tutorial: probably everyone should run
>sudo pacman -S linux-header(s)
and not just Nvidia users.

Screw it, I'm not spending time on those installation steps again to get Arch on the HDD and not the SD card. Also, before doing that (which I'm not going to do) I would need to have ZFS installed for certain reasons. I added the archzfs keyring or whatever to pacman conf but it doesn't work on my kernel version. archzfs 2.2.4 works on a max Linux Kernel version of 6.8. The Arch Linux ISO I had was 6.10.2. I'll be installing Debian instead:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-12.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso

( Previous OS: Ubuntu. Not using this, for now: http://iad.mirror.rackspace.com/archlinux/iso/2024.08.01/archlinux-2024.08.01-x86_64.iso )

>>102065601
Soon to be. It’d be nice if debian-12.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso had a liveboot, but whatever.
>>
New thread:
>>102082714
>>
>>102074752
I don't even know how to do that.
>>
"[Ċuckflare:] Sorry, you have been blocked \ You are unable to access linuxconfig.org" --https://web.archive.org/web/20240825233604/https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-connect-to-wifi-from-the-cli-on-debian-10-buster
>>
What's the cleanest way of getting ncmpcpp to give me album art while an album is playing? Every guide I see makes you install a bunch of different shit or need to configure things yourself
>>
>>102082708
>no liveboot
So, maybe I'll temporarily use this:
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/24.04/release/lubuntu-24.04-desktop-amd64.iso
>>
>>102066352
I was reading the kernel.org docs for the temperature_zone thing for cpu temp. Nowhere did it say that the units are degrees Celsius*1000.

>>102082708
>>102084384
URLs to Linux ISO files. Reinforcing this knowledge: you can write to a blank USB flash drive, not the partition part of it. So this will work:
>$ wget http://example.com/arch.iso -O /dev/sdb
(sdb=blank thumb drive, notice that this isn't sdb1.)
>>
>>102077320
No such thing as "LTS kernel". What branch does it translate to? 6.6 or 6.10?
>>
File: sc43.png (31 KB, 822x268)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>102077831
"Problem"? Zen gives you even more responsiveness (at the expense of throughput) compared to the usual options.
>>
>>102084384
>link to a ~3GB file
Website web.archive.org has a 2-GB limit on files, but if the WARC was added by non-SPN sources, then there's "no limit"; example:
>https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000000*/https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/24.04/release/lubuntu-24.04-desktop-amd64.iso
>Tue, 14 May 2024 16:37:20 GMT (why: archivebot, archiveteam)
So the capture at that timestamp should be the full 3GB and not just the first 2GB of it.
>>
File: blob2.jpg (75 KB, 700x467)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>102078682
EndeavorOS *is* Arch, it just comes with a desktop.
>>102079050
He's memeing you with Gentoo, unless you want to develop binaries for yourself.
>>102077203
>How would I even go about debugging why bluetooth isn't, on the same card?
Same card but two different devices. And usually the bluetooth is done via USB.
Bet you are just missing the blobs.
dmesg | grep -i firmware
>>
>>102081514
But did it delete any data? Maybe you saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uou5cazzP7w

>>102084770
Linked from https://lubuntu.me/downloads/

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.