[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: penguin.png (63 KB, 300x300)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
https://suckless.org/rocks/
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://files.catbox.moe/u3pj3i.txt

GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/1175569
>>>/vg/lgg

IRC: #sqt on Rizon
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>102065510
>>
>>102082714
Sorry anons, tux is filled with my cum
>>
>>102081618
if its a Qt program you can try
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=linuxfb

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/embedded-linux.html#linuxfb
but a better solution is to use a WM and just set the x server to start on a framebuffer other than the default one, and "tab" over to it when you need it.
>>
>>102082714
cute pengu
i love linux community(minus the troons)
>>
ok wtf so after a couple false starts I got my bluetooth earbuds paired and it literally just works
it switches sound to the earbuds when I put them on, switches back to speakers when I take them off, the pairing just worked flawlessly (once I figured out that tlp auto-killed bluetooth which is why it wasn't working at first, and changed that to not)

whoever says that bluetooth support on linux is shit - well, maybe it is and I got lucky with everything working, but goddamn does everything work, I couldn't expect better from the most polished macbook, or even my phone
>>
Windows is for niggers and faggots
>>
File: img_0631.jpg (667 KB, 2048x1536)
667 KB
667 KB JPG
stow/guix users do you store your dotfiles in a flat layout (i.e. all dotfiles within ~/dotfiles) or using application specific directories (i.e. dotfiles within subfolders like ~/dotfiles/emacs or ~/dotfiles/bash)?
>>
Broked my gentoo

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).

I've fixed grub issues before with chroot and the following from the handbook
root # mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
root # mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
root # mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
root # mount --bind /run /mnt/gentoo/run

But they don't seem to be binding correctly this time around. What else can I do?
>>
>>102082513
Okay so for me, to resize an encrypted LVM after cloning to a bigger ssd the sequence of commands was:

>boot into livecd/installer (safe graphics)
>use lsblk to find the partition the encrypted volume is on
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p3 crypt-volume
sudo cryptsetup resize crypt-volume
sudo vgchange -a y
sudo pvresize /dev/mapper/crypt-volume
sudo lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/kubuntu-vg/root
(optional) sudo e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-root
sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-root

Now to reboot and see if I didn't just nuke all my data (I kept the original disk so I can just clone it again if I have to)
>>
>>102083545
And I didn't nuke it. Now to repeat these steps on the laptop that's getting the desktop's old SSD.
For reference, crypt-volume is a mapper name and can be any string you want since you're not booting it thus it starts closed.
>>
After months of suffering and endless "cd, ls and clear"s today I found out about file managers.....

I got the ranger but it looks like an ass, unlike most youtubers have (the ones that also use ranger) how is that? I didn't find a single guide on ranger customisation
>>
Fuck it. I'm installing mint and see where it takes me
>>
Are there any Japanese IMEs for Linux that don't suck ass? I've tried mozc and mozc-ut but they're missing a lot of stuff (also it won't let me type in Japanese when adding new words using the dictionary tool, any way to fix that?)
>>
File: 1684916663337696.gif (17 KB, 500x400)
17 KB
17 KB GIF
Is it worth using the Nix package manager on normal distros? Is it complicated? Better than Flatpak? Does it leave cruft behind when you uninstall it?
>>
>>102084232
>Are there any Japanese IMEs for Linux that don't suck ass?
No, there is a reason they all use windows and why the majority of them still use windows xp.
>>
>annyoing minor slowdows in kwin under a vm
>watdo.png
>disable compositing
??
>profit
>>
>>102083659 (me)
KDE Neon doesn't do encryption through volume groups. If you want to extend or expand your encrypted file system to use the whole partition of a disk with KDE Neon installed on it, the commands are:
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p2 crypt-volume
sudo cryptsetup resize crypt-volume
sudo cryptsetup resize /dev/mapper/crypt-volume
(actually NOT optional) sudo e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/crypt-volume
sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/crypt-volume

Hopefully this is enough.
Most of this information comes from here.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/320957/extend-a-luks-encrypted-partition-to-fill-disk
>>
>>102084232
The dictionaries are open source. Contribute to them and then you'll help make them better for everyone.
>>
>try to change intel_pstate default governor in mint
>grub options all ignored
Why?
>>
>>102085396 (me)
And indeed, that was enough.
>>
File: 1724644390618.jpg (148 KB, 845x818)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
What's better if i need to use Kdenlive on Debian? AppImage or the native package? The Deb package is old and picks a shit ton of Plasma dependencies. Does the AppImage pick the codecs used on the native system? The Appimage looks like the least bloated of them, but i don't know how to theme Appimages.
>>
File: kdenlive.png (96 KB, 1472x927)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>102085979
install the flatpak, pic rel is flatpak's kdenlive (24) under Debian stable (22)
>>
>>102086190
Are you using Plasma as base DE? I'm running XFCE. I wonder if that makes any difference.
>>
>>102086272
>Are you using Plasma as base DE?
Yes
>I'm running XFCE. I wonder if that makes any difference.
I won't make any difference from an application usage standpoint since it's isolated.
Maybe there'll be a diffence with theming and stuff, you should give a try as it won't harm or change your system at all
>>
love my looniks anons
>>
>>102085979
AppImage may or may not use system libraries depending on how the devs set the image up.
>how to theme
You don't.
>>
>>102084232
Didn't try it myself yet but I've heard a lot about fcitx5
>>
File: wayland_gpu.png (55 KB, 1040x277)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
Some mildly interesting statistics about hardware distribution between x11 and wayland KDE users.
>>
>>102086827
>Nvidia users more likely to stay on X11
Doesn't surprise me one bit

>Nvidia users so low overall
does surprise me
>>
>>102086827
based, fuck nvidia
>>
>>102086827
simply because nvidia ran like shit on wayland until very recently
>>
>>102086757
Fcitx5 is an IME but he's mixing up terminology, he's actually asking about the engine not the IME.

>>102084232
I think there's also an engine that uses Anthy instead of Mozc. I've not used it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthy
>>
>>102086827
Surprised AMD outranks Intel all around.
>>
>>102087370
What this tells me is there's more desktop users than laptop users. There's no way all those Intel users are using dedicated Intel GPUs, those are all laptops with an iGPU.
>>
Is it possible to turn off my laptop screen while in xterm-256color mode? (I'm using Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.)
>>
^This makes the screen go completely black then back to normal after 3 seconds:
>$ xr4ndr --listmonitors; xrandr --output None-1 --off; sleep 3; xr4ndr --output None-1 --auto
Those commands are an edit of the crap that chat-gpt.org/chat said - not helpful.
>>
File: Untitled.png (518 KB, 800x4078)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>102087443
>>102087488
This works:
>$ sudo apt install vbetool; sudo sh -c 'vbetool dpms off; read ans; vbetool dpms on' # press Enter to turn the screen back on.
>>
Did you stop using Ventoy or do you still trust it?
>>
Nice. I love it when anti-cheat does that.
>>
>>102086827
Now show some actual numbers.
>>
>>102083277
>stow
the former, but i want to try to find a way to be able to selectively choose which dirs i want to stow without having to do subfolders like the latter
>>
>>102087549
Well I'm still gonna use the one I've had for years. Just seems like FUD from paranoids to me.
>>
What's the current youtube downloader to use? Been using youtube-dlc so far, but it stopped working and seems to be dead for 3 years now
>>
>>102087811
It's been yt-dlp for a good long while now
>>
>>102087835
neat thanks.
I only download vids very sporadically
>>
Is Mint prone to crashing and dying with Nvidia GPU? Or is it a thing for all Linux systems or it's just me? Should I just fucking ditch Mint and try Arch with GUI if I'm a beginner? I thought I would have less problems on my old laptop with Linux, but alas...
>>
Everything i say to everyone gets redirected to /dev/null
Any solutions
>>
>>102088153
>>
What do you use the AUR for? Feels like there's barely anything good there.
>>
>>102088153
unlink /dev/null
and watch the world burn
>>
>>102088460
Anything that I want that isn't available normally. Some people use it or chaotic AUR so they don't have to compile things themselves. I try to avoid it If I can and keep things minimal so there's less chance of breaking the system.
>>
>>102088460
If something isn't in the Arch repos I check the AUR because it's most likely there.
>>
>>102088121
Mint is very stable but Nvidia can cause problems to any distro. Some say that PopOS is better when it comes to Nvidia but I don't know. You can try Bazzite if you want something stable that is good for Nvidia. Arch is prone to breaking for many reasons, maybe go with openSuse instead.
>>
does the GPL still apply to someone who deletes their repo off github? or can I steal their code and attribute it to me?
>>
>>102088562
>Some say that PopOS is better when it comes to Nvidia but I don't know.
The only difference is that they have an iso with the drivers on it. There's nothing distributions can do to fix Nvidia's shit.
>>
no minimize button & etc on fedora? how to fix this
>>
>>102088562
>>102088646
Could DRI_PRIME=1 targeted at one single process make my laptop use GPU at all times? I can't launch Mint and my Bios looks like a slideshow after using it. Somehow I can make it run in recovery mode, but it still a slideshow.
>>
File: Helix_lxqt.svg.png (30 KB, 1024x422)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
LXQt is the best lightweight DE

Prove me wrong

You can't
>>
>>102088688
DRI_PRIME=1 only works if you're using amd,intel or nouveau
nvidia has their own thing called prime-run
you can try putting DRI_PRIME=1 in /etc/environment and do a reboot
>>
>>102088867
>DRI_PRIME=1 in /etc/environment
Might as well set the dGPU as primary in BIOS and forget the iGPU exists, at that point.
>>
>>102088853
Like LXDE it's basically just Openbox with some desktop-like features on top. But unlike LXDE it isn't *the* fastest DE, being just slightly slower.
>>
>>102088679
what fucking DE
>>
>>102088960
kde
>>
Contemplating switching to an Arch based distro soon. Don't know if I should go to EndeavourOS or Arch
>>
>Ptyxis (the new default terminal on GNOME) is Flatpak only
Why?
>>
>>102088978
Well they're both the same thing, just that Endeavour holds your hand during install.
Hopping to Arch was the best thing I ever did because I found my Linux home that day.
>>
>>102088978
>Arch based distro
>>102087700
>>
>>102089008
I don't do it and I've never had problems I didn't cause myself.
>>
>>102088978
Literally the same thing, EndeavorOs just has a better installer. If something goes wrong you can use Arch ISO to fix Endeavor because it's the same thing. CachyOS is also nice for gaming, if you want something more stable then openSuse.
>>
>>102088904
LXDE seems pretty dead though. Maybe LXQt is a little slower but I guess I like using things that are actively developed because hopefully they're more likely to spot and fix any massive security bugs.
>>
>>102089000
>>102089008
>>102089027
I'm on LM21 right now and have been since I first moved to linux back in march time. It's been alright so far but I want to have full control over my system. I am kinda worried / nervous though, much like how I was prior to switching from windows to LM. Any tips for a noob willing to take the step?
>>
File: 1434397664616.jpg (58 KB, 460x546)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Bought a new GPU, should be here later this week. First time upgrading it.

Is there something I should do regarding drivers such as uninstalling the current ones? Maybe reinstalling the whole OS from scratch? Or will the system choose the best ones automatically? Using Nobara at the moment.
>>
>GNOME
>>102089056
>>
>>102089050
Plenty of YouTubers have recent videos on how to install Arch and how to set it up after the install. The whole process takes a few minutes plus the install time. If you don't want to worry then just install EndeavorOS.
>>
>>102089057
Moving from a 570 to a 7600, if that matters.
>>
>>102088867
I'm actually using nouveau drivers cuz my GPU is old. I'll try it.
>>102088877
I'm afraid my bios is giga niggerish and there's no such option
>>
>>102089064
Somebody needs to teach that guy how to use a computer.

man hier
>>
File: 1724079445775140.jpg (61 KB, 700x525)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>102089069
Do you know how I would install drivers for my Nvidia 3080?
>>
File: 1724656483018760.jpg (9 KB, 240x240)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Fedora 40, GNOME 46, Proprietary NVIDIA drivers 555.58.02, Wayland, G-Sync monitor. Now, why is it that in games, the 165fps I'm reported as getting just doesn't feel all that smooth? Is this just a nv+wayland thing? It just doesn't feel like 165Hz and yes, I don't have my monitor set to 60Hz.
>>
>>102089288
Would it be smoother in Windows? I'm tempted to just install Windows on my next machine (without activation because fuck that) and use Linux with WSL.
>>
>>102089288
>nvidia
>g-sync
>falling for memes
lol
>>
>>102085077
Someone post the japanon admitting that erotic games are more important than open source
>>
>>102089346
>I didn't call it VRR and now I'm banished into the proprietarytard realm
:(
>>
>>102089375
He's probably right. Supposedly there is money in coomer games. There is no money in making sure freetards can read and write properly.
>>
>>102082714
>The absolute state of arch linux
>>
>>102089382
I've heard that new nvidia driver automatically detects you card and applies the driver accordingly.
Also feeling is not a metric. There are precise way to measure the fps.
>>
>>102089382
You'd be correct in doing so. G-sync implies a display with one of their hardware modules. VRR is different and doesn't require that crap.
>>
>>102089255
You can choose Nvidia drivers in Arch install, pretty sure EndeavorOS also has an option to choose which drivers you want in the installer.
>>
>>102089399
I always had a feeling Bordie was a homosexual.
>>
>>102089255
sudo pacman -S nvidia nividia-utils
>>
>>102088970
either poke through kde's theme customising things to put icons where you want in the title bar
or
your theme has a bug missing the icon.
>>
>>102089302
>and use Linux with WSL.
pointless.
just use windows if you want to gayme with nvidia.
>>
>>102088679
Bizarre bug. Might have something to do with the browser rather than the DE, since it doesn't use the standard window decorations
>>
I have a few questions about linux
1) wouldnt it be better to have centralised repos for everything so that theres less overlap between developers wasting their time?
2) distros are cool and all but i feel like a fair few just skin existing distros (eg manjaro, artix) when they could just be a post install script almost?
3) whats up with audio effects (like eq) being sort of tricky to implement system wide? i tried out one of them and it seems more like its just compressing audio rather than eqing it like when i use vlc on macos (im just trying to tune the treble of my speakers down a bit)
>>
ok, fixed it. it turns out i just need to check this option. if trannyfox would just enable this by default
>>
>>102088853
XFCE
>>
>>102089399
I dont get how people can wear those cringe troon outfits even if its just as a joke
Do they have no shame?
>>
>>102089642
> wouldnt it be better to have centralised repos for everything
wouldnt it be cool if software just worked across windows mac and android without having to do anything.
>distros are cool and all
they exist because they can. someone planted a tree over there because they could. there was already a tree in that area. so why put a tree there? maybe this one will actually sprout blossoms.
>whats up with audio effects
idk
>>
>>102083545
thanks for sharing anon, what does running vgchange before pvresize do?
>>
>>102089428
>>102089452
interesting, is the "muh arch borks" meme real? I've read online that if you update once a week you should be fine and avoid most of the breakings

>>102089399
whos the guy on the top right and how did that get leaked?
>>
>>102090028
Arch breaking all the time is a forced meme, yes.
>>
>>102090028
It has been working just fine for me for 4 years.
>>
>>102087302
>until very recently
it still does m8
>>
>>102090045
>>102090054
Thanks guys, could you show me an example of when an update borks? Apparently it tells you but i cant find anything online of what it looks like.
>>
>>102089057
>>102089071
>AMD GPU
nah you should do nothing, it should work, if it doesn't then you need to upgrade kernel + mesa or switch to a newer distro (don't know bout nobara)
>>
>>102090107
If you stick with official arch repo then nothing will break.
Your system might break if you use unstable (alpha/beta versions) of 3rd party packages like gnome or kde for example. But you really have to manually enable them in order to do so, so assuming you know what you are doing it is really up to you. But it's really not the fault of arch, is it?
And don't use AUR packages (arch user repository, packages uploaded by users) without knowing how it works and how to manage them.
TL;DR- You will be fine.
Even if you break your system you can always chroot from arch iso to fix it.
>>
>>102088679
>>102088970
look into your kwin settings
>>
File: GT90m6ZXEAA756r.jpg (585 KB, 1536x2048)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
>>102090181
I read it all don't worry. So would it be safe to just use EndeavourOS and only official pacman / yay or whatever?
>>
>>102090251
Yes but install Timeshift just in case.
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/encrypted-installation/btrfs-with-timeshift-snapshots-on-the-grub-menu/2022/02/
>>
>>102088679
>>102089481
>>102089481
This is a Firefox issue, nothing to do with KDE.

Click the hamburger menu -> Tools -> More tools -> Customize toolbar

Make sure the "Title Bar" is checked
>>
>>102090270
Are you willing to add me on somewhere where we can talk? I just wanna be frens with some knowledgble arch users
>>
>>102090251
Just install vanilla arch. It's not that hard. Everything is guided with archinstall.
>>
>>102090028
I definitely don't update that regularly and i've had maybe 2 issues in the past few years that have forced me to go to the arch website where a resolution is plainly visible on the front page.
>>
>>102090341
I feel more at ease using EndeavourOS until I move to Arch proper.

>>102090345
How often do you update? Some said once a week, once a month and so on but even now on Linux Mint I havent opened the update managet in like 3 weeks.
>>
>>102090370
Usually when i go to install something only to find that I can't because the version my system knows about is so old it's not on any of the mirrors anymore
TLDR: it varies
>>
alternative to serviio in linux?? or whatver to stream acestream to DLNA-capable devices?
>>
>>102090370
I don't understand. What do you find difficult in default arch? They literally hold your hand to install it now.
You can do it in 5 minutes max if you have a good internet.
>>
>>102089700
>>102090279
Does Brave have that option too?
>>
>>102090279
>wasted vertical space to have a functioning buttons
lol
Perhaps use a professional desktop environment like Gnome
>>
>>102090504
Maybe if you had a more functional desktop environment instead of a phone UI you could hide these on-demand.
>>
hello people i am looking to move away from LMDE to a lighter distro, what should i use?
>>
>>102090465
its daunting, what might be easy for you is hard for me man. I also am a europoor living on a farm in the middle of nowhere with shitty internet.
>>
>>102090527
I don't need to hide shit since I don't have to "enable" titlebar and waste verticle screen real state just to have the minimize, maximize and close buttons on firefox. lol
>>
>>102090549
Alright. Understandable. All the best anon!
>>
>>102090558
How do you hide client side decorations? You're wasting space. If an app only has server side decorations not only does it have maximum compatibility with all of the compositors out there that do server side decorating (READ: All of them except GNOME), you can save even extra space by not having them.

If your goal is to save screen real-estate then having a way to toggle them is useful. With client side decorations you have no choice but to have them wasting space.
>>
When running a program in wine, does it use the Linux or Windows CPU scheduler?
>>
>>102090586
>(READ: All of them except GNOME)
that's what I said here anon >>102090504
>>
>>102090549
>its daunting
hey fren i just wanted to say it was daunting for me too, i spent a weekend fucking around getting my first arch install working and since then my linux competency has really exploded. I'm not an arch purist but i found that manual install process a great introduction to the linux ecosystem
>>
>>102090465
People are intimidated by black screen and having to install basic things like codecs, fonts etc. People shitting on archinstal don't help either.
>>
>>102090636
You said the opposite.

You can't hide CSDs which GNOME pushes for all of their apps. You do gain screen real-estate by not having a titlebar for server side decorated apps though (since they don't decorate them you have no decorations) but there's no way to add back the decorations without hacks like libdecor.
>>
>>102090640
Hello fren, its reassuring to see you handled it well. I am still considering it to be honest lol. I want to go with EndeavourOS so its "arch" but with an installer thats less scary than being stuck in a command prompt until I followed all of the instructions. I will maybe install Arch on my laptop after installing EndeavourOS on my PC
>>
>>102090673
The compatibility is also worse since they're drawn by the application so they won't match GTK (without hacks like libdecor, or going to excruciating pains like Firefox does to replicate GTK's CSS and even then they still have bugs and get it wrong sometimes).
>>
>>102090471
Yes.
>>
>>102090652
>People shitting on archinstal don't help either.
Because that python garbage fails a lot.
>>
>>102090691
If you need the machine to work you can always fuck around in virtual machines at first as well, that way you can `pause` the install.
There's still loads I don't know about like pulseaudio/alsa/jack/pipewire because i haven't needed to and the defaults worked fine for me but I feel like i have a holistic understanding and know where to look e.g when i wanted to decrypt the root partition at boot with SSH i knew what the big pieces were and where to start.
>>
>>102090691
Just go with EndeavorOS, their forum and community are pretty good for people who are new to Linux and/or rolling distros, there is no elitism. If you have good specs and HDR display then learn a bit about Wayland and install it. Timeshift as some sort of system restore is also nice. If something does break don't panic, smarter people than us find fixes very quickly.
>>
>>102090745
Thanks fren. Do you know if there are any steam groups for EndeavourOS or arch groups that arent full of memers pretending to use arch?

>>102090756
alright thank you, in a few weeks maybe a couple of months I will switch over to EndeavourOS. Maybe for Christmas.

Also i installed Linux Mint 22 MATE for my mother the other day but the UI feels clunky and laggy.
>>
>>102090635
Bumping because this is a good question.
>>
Should I use LM20 or 21 for less bloat? I've heard only bad things bout 22 and dissatisfied overall with how 22 works on my machine
>>
>>102090635
>>>/g/sqt/
There isn't a "Windows CPU scheduler" when running under Wine as it doesn't run the NT Kernel whatsoever, Wine just translates Windows calls, any process run under Wine is a regular Linux process, thus handled by the Linux CPU scheduler
>>
>>102091126
I'm on LM21 and won't update to LM22 as I don't want to use linux mint after a few months anyway, but I did see in the threads yesterday some guy ranting about israel and how matrix is installed on LM22
>>
>>102091135
This is also the reason why they had to add new syscalls for Windows thread synchronisation primitives to the kernel.

>>102090635
Wine Is Not An Emultator, it's probably more accurate to call it a translator. It's all Linux internally, it just presents a Windows API to applications.
>>
>>102091171
What problems did you find with LM? What distro would you hop on to?
I haven't tried yet EndeavourOS and Linux Lite that are dusting on my PC. Hoping that I'll find a way to make LM work on my machine as intended.
>>
>>102091293
I just don't like how LM is with cinnamon. Lack of customization and what not and I would also like more control. I am the anon who is asking questions about EndeavourOS above.
>>
>>102091344
Oh, I see. Guess I'll stick with the thread to see what's up and maybe do some research after another LM reinstall.
I hope Endeavour is Arch for brainlet, then I would like to hop onto it.
>>
>>102091135
>>102091177
The whole wine is not an emulator thing finally makes sense to me, thank you
>>
>>102091434
EndeavourOS is literally just purely Arch but with an installer. An anon above said that even an arch ISO could fix any issues you have on EndeavourOS as they are the same thing more or less. If you scroll up you can find my first question and just follow the replies there and see what frens have said
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QM-uC5jWf4

Anyone watch this guy? I'm the LM newbie thinking about EndeavourOS but this guy seems annoying
>>
>>102091177
>This is also the reason why they had to add new syscalls for Windows thread synchronisation primitives to the kernel.
How interesting, thanks for the insight anon
>>
>>102091434
Endeavor, CachyOS, Garuda are all arch made easy. OpenSuse as well but there are some differences with Yast, Zypper etc. There's a 10 min YouTube video by some anime chick on youtube how to install Arch and what to do post install so it's easy as well. Pretty much all distros are brainlet ready nowadays or have guides to make them so.
>>
>>102091518
Not a huge fan of that guy, I remember he used Gentoo and OpenSuse for a while and his distro-tier video was pretty amateurish and shit. He has some good videos though.
>>
File: 1712766830062.jpg (302 KB, 1280x1024)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
Why doesn't minix have a cult following and fanbase and users?
>>
>>102091126
There's nothing wrong with 22
If you really dont want to use it, use LMDE instead.
>>102091171
Matrix/Element being preinstalled doesnt mean anything its just one retard who's suddenly gone schizo for some reason
>>
>>102091596
It's closed source
>>
>>102091440
yea it's pretty sick, on a technical level a program run in wine is much closer to being a completely native program than it is being run with any kind of emulation, it's emulation only in the strict dictionary sense
programs are executed directly on the cpu, they show up as any other linux process, and they have access to the same resources
wine "simply" provides a stand-in for windows libraries along with some glue to fill in the gaps, outside of not being a microsoft product, programs run in wine are no less "native" than they would be running in windows itself, so given a correct and performant reimplementation there's really no reason you can't expect full performance out of them
>>
>>102091467
>>102091537
Thanks. LM bullshitted me again so I am installing EndeavourOS to test the waters. I'm tired from trying to make LM work.
>>
What is Live Iso?
>>
>>102090691
I personally wouldn't use a distro that is based on another distro and it doesn't solve an actual issue or is different or better than the original one.
>>
File: 1723783713524177.gif (1012 KB, 500x281)
1012 KB
1012 KB GIF
Want to try out a new DE, LXDE, LXQT or MATE?
>>
>>102091998
MATE is my favorite alternative DE. Comfy 2000s feels.
>>
>>102091998
>xorg
>>
>>102091829
What issues did you have with LM? I'm the anon from earlier asking about EndeavourOS / Arch whos been getting all the replies telling me to give it ago. I know LM is the "shilled" reddit distro but what issues did yuo encounter?
>>
>>102089700
either way just werks on mint even with my custom css so it's not just trannyfox
>>
>>102088679
>>102089611
>>102090279
>>102090504
It's a Wayland issue, if you switch to X11 session it works properly.
>>
Can I link my "Documents", "Images" etc folders from Mint (drive C) directly to my Documents, Images etc folders from Windows (drive D) in a dual-boot, Mint/Win on SSD, common storage on HDD config?
Drive D is NTFS and what I want to be my main, dual-system storage area.

Example: I want to drag and drop a picture in my Images folder or a text doc to Documnts while I'm on Mint, then switch to Windows, work from those folders with the same documents, and the other way around too. Being able to fully work from both systems without creating new folders (using the default-created ones) and having the exact same files on both. I know some formats or programs may not be able to open but I mainly deal in images, text or video

The GUI symlink thing will create a link inside Mint Documents, so I can't drag-and-drop. I have to click in the folder to access the actual link. Can I "linkify" the Mint Documents folder itself, so I can drag and drop into it then switch over to Win and fin my files there?

I'm the total noob from yesterday. Thanks to the anon who helped me out I can read/write my Windows folders from Linux which is great but the link issue is the only thing keeping me from achieving my dream
>>
>>102092175
It's mostly me using an outdated GPU that somehow (I'm not sure that's the cause because I can't even see logs) fucked up my initramfs (at least I guess so at this point, trying to enter the console to repair all these modules).
Basically, at this point, my laptop shuts down any time I try to install any other distro or do something with it.
Then there was codec issue that after tinkering with pulseeffect and not getting any sound on my headphones, I roll backed to restore point and it stayed the same.
Then again, I may be just brainlet in Linux to understand how to fix these issues, but whatever. If something should break my PC, then at least make this distro fast to install.
>>
>>102092351
Man I installed pulseeffects once right and it completely fucked my entire sound system beyond repair, I asked in the support chat on hexchat and they told me my only option was to do a reinstall of the OS. The "sounds" menu literally just said nothing. No devices or anything, no sound, nothing.
>>
>>102091596
that taskbar style is pretty bad, if it crunches any further youre gonna be blindly guessing which window is which, because all youd see is 40 raccoons. why arent they using a cde type?
>>
>>102092393
Well, it only affected one preset of my BT headset, which was a shame, since it was the only one with goood sound and mic quality.
I'm trying to boot up into console to try and run a few commands to test why I can't just install any distro at all (although I've deleted the previous install and thought that the problem may be in it and ugh new distro MUST BE working, right?)
Anyway, I hope Endeavour will be my saviour and whatever difficulties Arch have, I'll stick with the basics
>>
>>102092393
Uninstall Pulseeffects, it's not maintained anymore so no surprises it's fucked.

Its successor is EasyEffects and works with PipeWire.
>>
>>102092349
I'm not totally clear on your set up, and there's a few different ways you could do it.
If I've understood, you have the directories you want to use as your source of truth already in place on windows.
Then I'd probably use a bind mount to mount those directories where you want them on mint.
See e.g https://www.baeldung.com/linux/bind-mounts
So you could do something like this
> mount --bind /run/media/anon/disk/Users/anon/My\ Documents /home/anon/Documents
where the first folder path is your windows Documents path and the second is your mint Documents path.
Note that if you have files already in your mint Documents folder they won't be visible after you run this command.
Once you have your mounts working, add them to your fstab so they mount at boot
https://serverfault.com/questions/613179/how-do-i-do-mount-bind-in-etc-fstab
>>
>>102090084
even with explicit sync?
>>
>>102092473
Wonderful man, i really wanna move to EndeavourOS too

>>102092546
Well I did months ago, it forced me to do a full reinstall of Mint so I kinda had to.....
>>
>>102092682
Nvidia's driver woes extend beyond that. They can't write a stable driver for shit.
They're slowly fixing the bugs though.
>>
>>102091998
lxqt
>>102092102
>muh wayland
>muh hdr
nobody cares
>>
>>102092848
You mean you don't care. Clearly some people do in fact care (more than some, actually, quite a lot of people)
>>
File: fitgirl.png (67 KB, 507x401)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
hey guys, im trying to install a game via bottles but this error is not letting me do that, before you ask, yes i do have enough space but its falling to detect it for some reason (could it be the fire-jail that bottles claims to set?)

i heard fitgirls repacks shit themselves in wine so that could be the case here (seriously, why they need to compress this crap? seed the whole thing already), does someone here can install them at all?
>>
>>102092582
>you have the directories you want to use as your source of truth already in place on windows.
Yes, those are the default Win folders that I moved from my SSD over to my HDD.
End goal here is:
Linux Mint /home/user folders = redirect to Windows user file folders
Windows user file folders = place where I'll store stuff to use on both systems depending on my needs

>Once you have your mounts working, add them to your fstab so they mount at boot
I managed to have my HDD be mounted at boot without fstab (just tinkered by disk settings). HDD is where I have the source of truth Windows folders. So will it still be necessary?

Also since I'm going to try this, is there any way I can unbind the mounts if I fuck up?
>>
>>102092848
I care, bought a new display screen and I love HDR, can't ever go back now. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Any DE that doesn't have HDR, VRR, Wayland support is useless to me forever.
>>
>>102092772
Perhaps, it was not a problem of LM, as I've disassembled my laptop and turns out my fan isn't spinning, I guess it could be overheat issue. Though since my usb has Endeavour distro, I'll hop onto it
>>
>>102092979
Please tell us how it goes, I really want to move to EndeavourOS but idk if its gonna wipe all the shit on my other SSDs. I don't want to have to go through the process of backing up all that shit again like I had to from windows
>>
>>102092931
Bind mounts are a little different to the mount you have already that makes the windows partition available and they will play nicely together.
There are probably other ways to make the bind mounts persistent but the simplest and most usual way will be to add them to /etc/fstab
Say you fuck up a mount
> mount --bind /run/media/anon/disk/Users/anon/My\ Documents /home/anon/Documents
You can undo it like this
> umount /home/anon/Documents
which will restore whatever was previously at that location
>>
>>102092906
Have you tried installing it via lutris?
>>
>>102093027
>idk if its gonna wipe all the shit on my other SSDs
This is why people have a liking for manual installs. Although some smart installers let you to drop to shell, set everything up at /target and skip the whole "set up disks" part.
>>
Is there an easy way on kde to disable all compositing effects and anything else that would be resource heavy? I'm not using kde for the fancy stuff i just want to use it because its a wayland desktop on crappy hardware
>>
>>102092940
HDR does not work on 99% of applications outside of "modern tvshows" and overpriced incomplete games
>>
>>102093200
HDR works just fine. Yes, SDR colour spaces are still predominant and that will always be the case but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

There's more HDR content being made every day.
>>
>>102093027
Sorry, I barely use Linux for important stuff for now, with these unpleasant crashes, so I just wipe all info I have for a clean setup (because laptops, duh, one drive)
The Endeavour installer is a bit more difficult than any other GUI installer, but it's still comprehensive enough to not do dumb stuff
>>
>>102093238
>>102093200
You have ordinary people in on the act too. If you buy a new smartphone chances are it can take HDR video and photos. Wouldn't it be nice if you could actually view that in HDR on your computer?
>>
>>102093034
I'll very tentatively say this works as intended (want to play around with it first before I celebrate). Restarted and the test mount was gone, I assume that's because I didn't add to fstab. In any case, thanks for the help anon
>>
>>102093272
Nice, if you want to play with fstab without rebooting by the way you can use
> mount -a
which will mount everything per fstab
>>
>>102093200
Works fine on my 10$ complete game.
>>
i want arch to tell me when a restart is required in a pop up notification on desktop, kind of like how endeavour os does, anybody know a way to do it? i downloaded some package called "needrestart" from aur but idk how to set it up to notify me after a system upgrade
>>
>>102092861
Doesn't mean xorg is dead or unusable which is what wayland tards keep suggesting every time. The rest of the desktops that can are already in the process of switching and wayland itself is not feature complete and are still constantly arguing over gitlab on what features to add or not to add
>>
>>102093441
Look up Pacman hooks on the Arch Wiki
>>
File: 1724536296639743.jpg (29 KB, 500x493)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
got a couple of retard questions cuz i wanna make the switch to MX Linux
>in the rare case that something truly doesn't work on linux, qemu + wangblows 10 ltsc pretty much works right? something about how it lets you work with the GPU?
and
>what about vidya repacks for when i can't torrent? those can all pretty much just be extracted through wine right? or do i gotta find another way?
>>
>>102082714
Why can't i just drag and drop pictures into the folders on the side bar in linux mint?
>>
>>102093970 (Me)
Nevermind you can you just need to be slow down and make sure the arrow appears over the cursor.
>>
>>102093719
>>in the rare case that something truly doesn't work on linux, qemu + wangblows 10 ltsc pretty much works right? something about how it lets you work with the GPU?
QEMU + Wangblows can be a pain in the ass, don't even think of trying it without getting (very) familiar with loonix

>>what about vidya repacks for when i can't torrent? those can all pretty much just be extracted through wine right? or do i gotta find another way?
I would think so
>>
>>102093165
wayland is the heavy stuff
>>
>>102094037
What would be best to make a Windows virtual machine?
>>
>>102094234
nta but for a linux beginner you'll probably be best off using virt-manager
GPU pass through makes a virtual machine perfectly functional as e.g gaming machine but it can be tricky to set up depending on your hardware. If you need windows for non gpu intensive stuff then that's pretty ez
>>
>>102094234
Highly depends on your usecase, you can easily create a VM with virt-manager. It'll work but it won't have any form of proper hardware video acceleration rendering all media playback or vidyagaymes unusable.

If you want the later in a VM you have to setup PCI/GPU Passthrough and that's an oddyssey on its own, it's easier nowadays but almost always there are some issues to solve and you have to know the penguin in order to work things out
>>
I spilled a glass of wine on my laptop and many keys don't work now. I tried the wireless Apple keyboard I happen to have but Linux Mint doesn't see it
what do now?
>>
>>102094371
drink less or at least not at the computer. Wine should ideally be consumed with food (you can ignore the pairings) with friends or family.
>>
>>102094276
>>102094308
Thank you for your help. Luckily, I just need Windows to access a few files and a specific app. I do all my gaming on Linux. I'll check out virt-manager.
>>
Whats the point of linux from a privacy perspective if both intel and amd cpus have backdoors to them?
>>
>>102094556
If you're going to do a 9/11 then linux (alone) isn't going to keep you safe. If the idea of your OS collecting your data and uploading it in order to shovel ads in your face makes you feel sick then linux might be for you.
>>
>>102094494
Brunello di Montalcino 1996, I don't share it or spoil it with food
>>
>>102094613
Ahhh, your one of those people, I'm the kind of person who drinks wine the old fashioned (read: ancient) way:
>water it down with water
>put it in w/e glass I have
>don't inhale while I drink it
>>
>>102094602
>If you're going to do a 9/11
I'm not Mossad
>>
>>102094647
It wasn't Mossad, it was
>>
>>102094663
>it was
dancing israelis
>>
>>102094602
What if I don't have time to install everything manually and want my OS to be functional and not a broken down pile of shit?
>>
>>102093238
How much of this hdr content is actually useable?
Do my chinese cartoons stream in hdr yet?
>>
I'm using bottles (the gui program) for wine and I don't really understand why the gui doesn't give a flag box that tells you why a program isn't running. Sometimes when I launch programs it'll say "launching" then the game doesn't launch and only after 5 or 10 minutes do I figure out that it hasn't launched but I don't get any warnings or errors for why it didn't launch.
>>
>>102095055
Because why it didn't launch is a difficult question. Sometimes the wineserver hangs and it's not obvious that the program didn't run as intended.
>>
>>102094647
>>102094663
>>102094707
im tell tyo it is matrix / element backdoor matrix israeli app preinstalled on 22 mint eidition...
>>
>>102094877
buy a mac
>>
Do you use old and crappy but still nice pcmanfm? Use pcmanfm-qt instead - not home button (not needed I guess), but overall I think it's better. Users say that snap sucks, but I snap has ponysay; can't install that with "apt install ponysay". (Can install it with "sudo snap install ponysay".)

>>102094707
WTC buildings were detonated by explosives that were planted inside beforehand. The first plane to fly into the building probably didn't exist - faked footage. The second plane that flew into the building was likely remote-controlled. Facts: jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams; WTC buildings fell at free-fall speed, and that's not possible unless the tons of concrete and steel were exploded; buildings have burned for longer, larger, and hotter and didn't collapse; the planes would have crumpled upon hitting the skyscrapers; NIST or some other US government agency has reports acknowledging these facts and poses them as open questions (such as the near- or at-free-fall speed fact).
>>
>>102095151
I just wish I got some sort of feedback I could go off of when I'm troubleshooting.
>>
With Brave/Chrome I could do this - select
"this
text"
then copy it and put it into the ctrl+f thing. It could then find "this\ntext" in the html webpage. How do I do that with Firefox? Multi-line ctrl+f matching isn't a thing in Firefox. I'm using Lubuntu and did some of this https://github.com/yokoffing/BetterFox after first using Firefox on this newly-installed OS that I set up.

>>102095211
* no home button
>>
YOU FUCKING NIGGER ELEMENT IS JUST A FUCKING CLIENT THE ONLY BACKDOOR THAT COULD EXIST IS THE MAIN SERVER ITSELF AND THATS IT
>>
>>102095211
>but I snap has
but snap has
>...and didn't collapse
by that I'm referring to comparable buildings or skyscrapers.

>>102095299
>Multi-line ctrl+f matching isn't a thing in Firefox.
This is something of a deal-breaker for me. I think I'll go back to using Brave Browser. I saw two Firefox extensions that may've been able to help: they didn't. Related: Firefox engine renders webpages like this:
>>>
>Anonymous 08/26/24(Mon)08:16:27 No.>>102091844
> What is Live Iso?
There's four space before "What". With Chrome engine, there would be no such indentation, or it wouldn't be considered by ctrl+f in Brave.

To answer your question, a "Live Iso" probably refers to a liveboot ISO. I was talking about liveboots to someone AFK/IRL today. They are operating systems which you can use if you have them in a CD or USB which the BIOS can boot from. (Some computers' BIOSs can't boot from an SD card or USB for older ones.) After booting, the OS loads itself into RAM (memory) and any subsequent changes you make to the OS like files added or programs installed or removed will not persist the next time you reboot and load that same liveboot. You can enable persistence on the liveboot with / -> etc -> shadow or whatever (I forgot it's name), but that's no the point. The point is to test out the OS or use it's functionality as an OS-in-RAM.

I think Firefox did have regex support in ctrl+f in the past, but not anymore, such as with Firefox Browser version 125.0.2 (64-bit). chat-gpt.org/chat:
>>Multiline ctrl+f match in Firefox?
>Unfortunately, Firefox does not currently support multiline search using Ctrl+F. However, you can use regular expressions to search for multiline text by pressing Ctrl+F, typing "/"(without quotes) to enter regex mode, and then typing your multiline search query. This will allow you to search for matches that span multiple lines in Firefox.
>>
I fucking love bedrock linux but the security issues are too much too handle. Recommend me some similarly autistic distros
>>
>>102089755
autogynephilia n. !wt:
>In Ray Blanchard's transsexualism typology, the proposed paraphilic tendency of someone who is anatomically male to be sexually aroused by the thought of being a female, sometimes considered a form of gender identity disorder or transvestic fetishism.
Apparently most psychologists decades ago agreed that trannies were autogynephiliacs: men aroused by the idea of being a woman. Not the case today. Psychology is not a hard science. Basic ideas change with the cultural or political climate. Like how the consensus was that homosexuality was a mental illness; also not the case today. (Example in film on the tranny thing: "Silence of the Lambs".)

>>102096028
More text that 4chan doesn't like ("Connection error"):
(1) ","->"/" for ",etc,shadow"
(2) "xrandr" multiple times >>102087488
>>
>>102082714
I have a distro all set up in a desktop on 2 drives (HDD has /home. SSD has everthing else.). Can I simply pull those 2 drives and install them in a different box (no other drives, very similar hardware, identical MoBo's) AND WahLah, everything werx?
>>
>>102096379
>More info
The 2 MoBos are NOT UEFI. They are older am3 boards
>>
gotta go fast
>>
KDE or GNOME until the end of the year (when COSMIC goes stable)?
>>
>>102096232
I don't think theres anything wrong cosplaying like that if you can make it look actually cool without suddenly wanting to troon out but doing cringe shit like that when it doesnt suit you at all is just mental illness
>>
where do i publish my gpg key? i just want it for signing emails.
>>
>>102096530
cpu limited
>>
>>102096379
Probably not, but it depends how it's configured.
- if file systems are mounted using device paths e.g /dev/sda these may not be the same
- similar issue with network cards and configuration
- if your initramfs is built with autodetect then it may not contain modules required to boot the other machine
There could be other things but that's what comes to mind for an install like mine, all of the above would be relatively simple to fix on the second machine (or to even mitigate if you wanted to frequently swap them)
>>
Is anyone itt trying out Cosmic on NixOS (https://github.com/lilyinstarlight/nixos-cosmic)?
Yeah I know that it's being maintained by a tranny but I don't really care.
I'm not testing it myself because I have a laptop with a nvidia dGPU and this fucking thing always manages to fuck shit up, I can't wait until I can finally move on to a proper desktop setup.
>>
>>102096614
>cosmic shill
thanks but im sticking to hyprland
>>
>>102096836
Tried it on Arch, PopOS and Fedora and it was nice, not Nix though.
>>
>>102096987
great for laptops but i found it unnecessary on a 3 monitor desktop. was a really nice experience though.
>>
File: error.png (347 KB, 959x298)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
I'm trying to make something off of github (https://github.com/HannesMann/gcadapter-oc-kmod?tab=readme-ov-file) and I'm getting pic related as an error. I know it works on my distro since I had it made and running fine before I had to reinstall. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>102097145
> gcc-13: not found
have you tried installing gcc-13?
>>
>>102097190
>gcc
>GNU Compiler Collection
I'm fucking retarded and thought it stood for game cube controller (the thing the driver is for). Thank you anon
>>
>>102097216
no prob anon, what does one do with an overclocked controller?
>>
File: error2.png (319 KB, 960x270)
319 KB
319 KB PNG
>>102097232
I'm not sober, if you don't mind could you tell me if there's something obvious in this one too? And it's in an attempt to match modern monitors to the "lag" of CRTs. It's used in competitive Super Smash Bros Melee online play.
>>
>>102097280
did you intall linux-headers package
>>
>>102097316
Yes, something I tried to troubleshoot my earlier problem (I'm stupid right now) had me reinstall the headers using
 sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-$( uname -r) 
>>
>>102096821
Sounds like I need to go ahead and try and see what happens. My thought is if I use the same sata ports (identical MoBos) the device path might match. I realize that is a massive oversimplification.
It will be a one time swap.
Network is MoBo ethernet, oh wait, it still has address issues, different machines. That's easy though.
>all of the above would be relatively simple to fix on the second machine
>>
>>102097372
did you install
build-essential
dkms
packages
>>
do ports exist as a file somewhere on a vfs, or are they strictly in memory?
/[e]tc/services provides no info
>>
>>102097280
Seems like it's failing to locate vmlinux
try this to see if you have it at this path, and if you do you could copy it into that folder
> stat /sys/kernel/btf/vmlinux
note you'd need to copy it into the new folder each time you upgrade your kernel so this is a bit of a hack
>>
>>102082714
I am tired of mint shitting itself on me.
Shill me some actually good/"JUST WERKS" gay mining os.
Lately I have seen cachyos, nobara and pikaos coming up on threads on g.

Also I have an older laptop that I wanna gift to my grandma.
It has a 2500u which from what I remember had problems installing/working on linux and later on with power states. What distro should I install on it for her ?
>>
File: error3.png (173 KB, 634x239)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>102097406
installed and tried to make again and got pic related.
>>102097521
I still get pic related
>>
>>102097577
unbuntu with a frozen file system and a way to ssh into it for her to update it. it's what i did for my tech illiterate parents.
>>
>>102097641
are you sure it didn't build it now?
> ls -lah | grep gcadapter_oc.ko
>>
>>102097071
Yea I know that people are enjoying it but I was wondering if there were any Nix-related issues, as things tend to have...
>>
>>102097692
Oh, it did. Thank you anon!
>>
>>102097738
no prob anon, good smashings to you!
>>
>>102097577
Fedora Kinoite. Good luck breaking it.
>>
Qutebrowser UX is absolute kino but it doubled in RAM use from yesterday to today with roughly the same amount of tabs kek.
>>102097819
I second kinoite, its pretty comfy and retard proof. You do need to spend some time getting used to flatshit and distrobox/toolbox if you've never used them before, otherwise it'll feel like you're fighting against the system.
>>
>>102093091
i will check
>>
>fresh install
>decide to get ALSA instead of pulse
>it just works
why do we need that poetteringware again?
>>
Is this bad?
>>
I wasn't paying attention when I did archinstall like 3 years ago and did the default root partition is seperate from my home partition.

I didn't think it would cause any problems when I realized, so I just left it. Now it's a problem, my root drive is pretty much all out of memory because I daily drive the fuck out of this and I'm out of programs to trim, and out of tricks to try and save memory.

Is there a way to merge the two partitions easily? I can fix the fucked up FSTAB afterwards, that's easy I've broken my FSTAB so many times i'm incredible at unfucking it by now. I'm really trying to avoid just biting the bullet and starting over, but copying my home folder somewhere temporary is going to take awhile.
>>
>>102099427
Are you using LVM?
Do you have another disk you can use to temporarily relocate those partitions?
>>
>>102099475
I'm not sure if I'm using LVM because I'm kind of a brainlet. I'm not using RAID so based on my rudimentary research I'm going to say yes.

and yes I do, but it's going to take me fucking forever to cp it over and using dd always breaks it for some reason.
>>
>>102099519
First off worth checking for an ever growing pacman cache (will grow forever by default)
> du -sh /var/cache/pacman/pkg
you can safely empty this folder, it stores packages that have been installed for rollback.

> lsblk
will give an overview of your block devices and show if you're using lvm
Here's what I'd probably do if you aren't using lvm (with lvm it's a bit easier)
assuming your home partition is after the root partition on the disk (lsblk will show this) then rsync the contents of your home to another disk with something like
> rsync -avh /src /dst
delete the home partition
extend the root partition
resize the root filesystem
rsync your home files back into the root partition

By preserving your root partition you won't need to worry about fixing your bootloader. If you aren't super comfortable with disks then you could use something like gparted live iso which has graphical tools for doing delete/extend and maybe also resize steps
>>
>>102099618
What if I'm using LVM?
Also my root drive is on a cryptvlm is that going to fuck me?
>>
guys, whatre your opinion on this?

https://ladybird.org/
>>
>>102099685
If you're using LVM you'll still need to copy the files somewhere else at some point but the beauty of LVM is that you can do that while still using the device (it will be slower while copying of course) and none of your applications will be aware of what's going on underneath.
using LUKS isn't going to prevent you doing this (adds some steps) but you need to be clear if you're using LVM on LUKS or LUKS on LVM, drop your lsblk output here if you're not sure.

Another consideration, if you're home is way bigger than your root then it might be worth going the other way, this adds more steps but if it's going to save you time overall it might be a good bet.
>>
>>102099735
Oh so i don't have to go dig out my usb with arch on it? That's pretty sweet, yeah.

> lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
─sda1 8:1 0 16M 0 part
─sda2 8:2 0 931.5G 0 part
sdb 8:16 0 3.6T 0 disk
─sdb2 8:18 0 3.6T 0 part /mnt/HDD
sdc 8:32 0 931.5G 0 disk
─sdc1 8:33 0 511M 0 part /boot
─sdc2 8:34 0 19.5G 0 part
─cryptlvm 254:0 0 19.5G 0 crypt /
─sdc3 8:35 0 911.5G 0 part
─ainstsda3 254:1 0 911.5G 0 crypt /home
sdd 8:48 0 1.8T 0 disk
─sdd1 8:49 0 1.8T 0 part
sde 8:64 0 5.5T 0 disk /run/media/[Anonymous]/EFE7-3658
zram0 253:0 0 4G 0 disk [SWAP]

I vaguely remember the LUKS decrypt command but I can just google it. From here I might actually be able to unga-bunga it, thanks anon! I actually kind of forgot about rsync to be honest, just waiting for this fucker to finish.
>>
>>102097819
>>102097919
I didn't break jack shit, you simply don't know if the next update will mess with stuff.

Example:
unity engine game works on stock wine install
>update wine/some system application
unity engine game stops working on stock wine install
>>
>>102099781
this is why shit like lutris/bottles exists, probably. to help you deal with regressions by letting you lock games to certain wine versions easily.
>>
>>102099767
Unfortunately that doesn't look like you're using lvm to me, just that one of crypt device name has lvm in it's name for some reason. If you were using lvm you should see another layer of block devices with type lvm.
>>
>>102097919
there's a lot of alternate web browsers i like but the lack of ublock origin ports are a dealbreaker
>>
>>102099767
>>102099810
just to be extra sure re lvm run
> sudo lvs
>>
>>102099215
Wayland will work fine by then
>>
>>102099810
>>102099827
>sudo lvs
Nothing. Damn.
Welp time to go dig out my USB. Oh well. Either way you've been a huge help, thank you anon.
>>
how to fix this?
>>
im not on strict
>>
>>102088853
i just want the wayland session to be ready
>>
>>102094613
You shared a glass of it with your laptop.
>>
>>102082714
how do i configure equalizer globally on debian gnome?
>>
>>102093719
>>in the rare case that something truly doesn't work on linux, qemu + wangblows 10 ltsc pretty much works right? something about how it lets you work with the GPU?
you could setup a vm with gpu passthrough, though keep in mind this means giving a gpu entirely to a vm, so you typically will want two gpus (includes integrated ones)
>what about vidya repacks for when i can't torrent? those can all pretty much just be extracted through wine right? or do i gotta find another way?
haven't had trouble running fitgirl ones at least
>>
>>102096769
yea
>>
>apt-get source thing/sid
>apt-get build-dep thing
>cd thing
>dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
It's so nice when you try to make your own backports and it just werks
>>
>>102094228
Wayland is just a display server protocol. This is like saying X11 is the heavy stuff.

KWin is practically turned turned off when you're playing a full screen game or video and it's doing direct scan out of the image.
>>
>>102099781
>update system
>unity engine game stops working
>rollback to previous system configuration
as shrimple as that
>>
>>102094955
>How much of this hdr content is actually useable?
All of it. It either has HDR or it doesn't. It can look a bit crap sometimes if the metadata is bad and there's no option to calibrate the display though but usually that's only an issue in games. I haven't seen a bad HDR video yet.

>>102094955
>Do my chinese cartoons stream in hdr yet?
Officially, probably not. Anime streaming services are a grift. They're not Netflix.

Anime has an active community of colour enthusiasts remastering/regrading shit though. I'm sure I remember seeing a 10-bit HDR copy of Akira floating around. Obviously it wasn't made in HDR but that's irrelevant as long as the mastering is good.
>>
>>102099781
>>102101148 (here)
To be honest I'm partly just memeing because I don't really use wine. But honestly part of the appeal of immutable is because Linux updates can be absolutely disgusting and cause shit that's been working perfectly fine to suddenly stop working even in supposedly user friendly distros (perhaps especially in user friendly distros; I ran eOS for almost a year without issues). I honestly wouldn't go back to a normal distro for daily use, I don't enjoy being forced to waste my time fixing shit when it could be used to shitpost on /g/ instead.
>>
>>102101200
>I don't enjoy being forced to waste my time fixing shit when it could be used to shitpost on /g/ instead.
This is why people constantly meme that Linux is broken. When I find something broken I try to dig into why it's broken and report a bug for it. I know normal people don't want to do that though. They're not a QA team.
>>
in bash, which was the keybind to scroll the terminal as if you made a clear, but it actually didn't clear the terminal and you could still scroll up to see the terminal?
You know what I mean? Like, it just hides it and you have to scroll up to see it.
Sorry i'm a retarded ESL. But I know there was a command for this.
>>
File: welcome.jpg (159 KB, 700x933)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>102099427
>Is there a way to merge the two partitions easily?
Yeah if the two are in row and the latter one is unused. (assumed you want to expand the filesystem too)
>>102097071
# pacman -S cosmic

>doesn't force NetworkManager, WPA-supplicant or any other crazy non-desktop stuff
Guess I could try that one out. Requirements:
>has start menu
>doesn't have silly dependencies
>doesn't require programming skills from the end user
Been using Mate since Gnome went all AppleOS. Not TOO picky about bloat but come on now, Cinnamon and pals.
t. retard end user boomer
>>
>>102101306
Thanks for doing that. I tell myself I should give back in this way as well but I just don't feel like doing that on my main machine. Though I do have a spare laptop now so I don't really have any excuses for not giving back in this way.
>>
File: 1724727873046.jpg (151 KB, 1000x1320)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
I'm cursed by the illusion of choice right now people, help, i want to switch over:
>Find Debian to be the distribution that works the best for my hardware and needs
>GNOME's workflow is tolerable for me, fairly well maintained, looks OK and is for the most part stable, but all apps i want to use like digiKam and Krita have ugly as shit title bars and all their GTK alternatives have gimped functionality (seriously is 2024, who writes a PDF viewer w/o support for tabs/buffers?)
>Plasma comes with fairly functional apps and much more powerful title bars, but looks like shit and feels like a minefield of bugs and hidden gotchas barely documented anywhere (how did Akonadi and Baloo made it out of dev phase at all?)
>XFCE is a balance between both pros and cons, fairly stable and fairly functional enough, with ugly Qt theming but at least usable title bars so it can be worked around easier, but the scaling is terrible on my external monitor, everything looks too tiny or too blurry
>>
Recomend me usable but not ugly Plasma 5 themes that have a Plasma 6 variants, I'm running Kubuntu right now, need something future proof.
This is the best I've found so far https://www.pling.com/p/1513276/
>>
>>102101582
>Debian
>works the best for my hardware
If your stuff works out of the box on Debian it should work on any distro.
>>
>>102101606
That does look nice but the close button not being clickable on the top right corner when maximized is really annoying. I have 20+ years of muscle memory closing windows by "throwing" the mouse to the screen corner and clicking, and themes like this (sadly most of them) are a complete miss for me.
>>
File: apu happy.gif (20 KB, 640x454)
20 KB
20 KB GIF
Last time I ended up celebrating too early but I have been testing it for two days so now I can hopefully declare with confidence that my Firefox Wayland crashes are gone. Nvidia 560 and Firefox 192.0.2 seems to do the trick. No need to launch through Xwayland anymore.
>>
>>102101090
It's also the compositor, baka
>>
>>102101668
Unfortunately not even Breeze does this consistently nowadays, in some windows it works, in others not. I use Alt+F4 more commonly nowadays but i find the title bars useful to pin windows on top of others, maximize them or "roll them up" so only the title bar is visible.
>>
>>102101838
>not even Breeze does this consistently
Can't say I've ever experienced that with the Breeze title bars, always worked for me.
>>
I wish it was easier to make custom cursors
>>
>>102082714
Hi bwos, I recent restarted my PC for the first time in a while and suddenly I can't run `systemctl` without root anymore, before, if I try to run it without `doas`, it will ask for my password, but now I'm getting this error: "error: not a regular file", I might have uninstalled a package that made it work before, note that I never had sudo installed.
>>
File: 1696316723549907.png (417 KB, 484x562)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
>>102101742
>Firefox 192.0.2
Are you from the future?
>>
File: dude what.png (4 KB, 201x183)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>102091652
>It's closed source
https://git.minix3.org/index.cgi
>>
OK, so I got a ps4 controller. While it literally is plug and play. Bluetooth not so much. I spent like 4 hours trying to trouble shot it with chat gpt and videos. The control takes all commands when plugged in. If I connect it via Bluetooth. It doesn't, blueman does recognize it and connects to it. Went to the prompt window and it also is there. Download the driver specifically made for Linux tested. Still nothing. So basically the controller only works if I plug it in via USB. Doesn't work with wireless connection. Even though it is recognizing it. Any suggestions?
>all I want is to play nes and snes emulators :(
>>
>>102102168
Meant 129.0.2. My bad.
It would be funny if it took that long to get fixed though.
>>
>>102102250
Go to /etc/bluetooth/input.conf
Add these lines:
ClassicBondedOnly=false
UserspaceHID=false
Does it help?
What distro you are on? By driver you mean ds4drv right?
Also do other bluetooth devices work? It's possible you have a bluetooth issue in general.
>>
>>102102284
Forgot to add reboot before does it help.
>>
>>102091596
because tanenbaum LOST
torvalds WON (disregard Intel management engine)
>>
>>102102284
I'm on mint cinnamon, by driver I mean hid-sony. The ds4 stuff freaked me out a bit (since I'm new obviously). It requested to run python script the Linux through a couple of warnings. No, I connected several devices to the pc. Maybe the controller? It's new, but it does recognize it and stays connected. So idk. I'll try the controller on another device. I'll give another try tomorrow. I'm phone fagging at the moment.
>>
>>102102362
Actually I'll give the control a try on android. Since I'm already on my phone
>>
>>102102284
Control is working fine, tried it in android with mine craft. All inputs are working fine
>>
>>102102284
Thanks for the response, normally I just get ignored.
>>
>>102102362
You still need ds4drv I think. I am on DS3 so don't know DS4 too well admittedly but...
>>102102418
By the way with "do other bluetooth devices work" I meant you to test other bluetooth devices on the PC not the controller on other computers.
Some issue with whatever bluetooth chip you have is possible.
>>
>>102102484
Yeah, just for the fuck of it. I transferred 110 mb from my pc to my phone. Took for ever but it worked. Keyboard and mouse are also wireless. Connected and played music with Bluetooth speakers and headphones from the pc. The dun is bt 4.0.
>>
New thread:
>>102102604
>>
>>102101855
I wish we could just use the Windows cursor format. XCursor is such a dog shit format.

There's Hypercursor and KDE is proposing a new XDG one too that works with JSON and SVG.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.