[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1304.jpg (737 KB, 2603x3000)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
If you are a /beg/inner in art or a Cystic enthusiast, please use this thread to post pieces for critique, ask for advice and praise our Lord Cystic.
We should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make Cystic proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, there is a pre/beg/ thread for that >>7285599

>STICKY:
Completed: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98
New collaborative: https://hackmd.io/UMnZVhNITW-T2wZpHw6d0Q
w/ic/i: https://sites.google.com/site/ourwici/
Hardcore: https://hackmd.io/7k0XRnIQR6SValR77TDfZw?view

>WHERE to get study materials
annas-archive.org
>>>/ic/artbook
>>>/ic/video

>Want to practice figures?
quickposes.com
sketchdaily.net
characterdesigns.com
lovelifedrawing.com
posemy.art
mangapose.com
line-of-action.com

>PYW and give your feedback
What can be improved?
Are there any resources videos or books you'd recommend to them?
Maybe a redline or a technique, be specific.
Try to reply to someone as you post your own work.

>Cool teachers
Glenn Vilppu
Michael Hampton
Steve Huston
Brent Eviston
Marco Bucci
Andrew Loomis
George Bridgman
Hikaru Hayashi

>Cool books
Keys To Drawing
Drawing With the Right Side of the Brain
How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way
The Art and Science of Drawing
Framed Perspective
Figure Drawing For All It's Worth
The Complete Guide to Drawing From Life

Previous: >>7287335
>>
File: 1725247559162556.jpg (2.51 MB, 1614x2100)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>
>>
Oh hey it’s me. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>7289107
Why are you here? You clearly hate drawing
>>
>>7289119
To make you angry over dumb shit no one cares about, apparently
>>
Who would win? /beg/'s Champion Pawell or /DAD/'s Champion cystic?
>>
>>7289107
What did you get from reposting another old work? You realize your account is done now right? This should bring me so much joy, but I'm just confused right now.
>>
>>7289135
You mean like a cripple fight?
>>
>>7289138
>You realize your account is done now right?
You act like the account has some kind of value.
>>
File: 1717218789111032.jpg (471 KB, 2100x2800)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
Time for outline
Wish me luck. I need to add lineweight this time
>>
>>7289135
Easy win for Pawell.
>>
>>7289155
Okay, i'm not confused anymore. I'll gladly add this to my trophy belt now. Heh.
>>
File: ron.png (274 KB, 896x650)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
He still looks nothing like him
>>
Started as a Bridgman drapery study, ended up as a fun render exercise. I want to learn how old anime did stars, glare and iridescence, probably with backlighting... time to learn about color depth.

>>7289166
the hair highlight is to broken for my liking too distracting, I would try to define the nose more, looks cool anon
>>
repostu
>>
Any recommended books on line weight? Also wip
>>
>>7289092
who or what the fuck is "cystic" and why should I care about you down syndrome adults' drama
>>
>>7289172
I rike it.
>>
>>7289182
It’s me — apparently I cheated on /DAD/ by posting a week old drawing so now I’m apparently this big meme over there now.
>>
>>7289166
he literally looks exactly like him are you retarded
>>
>>7289187
>apparently I cheated
at least TWICE, my nigger. even after you were told explicitly. bye. bye. :)))))))))
>>
>>7289187
why did you pick such a disgusting name, god even something like pusstic would be better
>>
>>7289191
>>7289187
why do i get the feeling this has something to do with that basket case that was spamming 100+ posts for over 2 hours the other day
>>
>>7289198
I can promise you he was merely an opportunist who saw the fire after it had been lit; not the author.
>>
>>7289201
both of them are not me
>>
>>7289191
I don't wanna play devil's advocate but, I don't there a ruling against posting old work or anything like that.
>>
>>7289157
the breast grabbing side feels too busy, maybe cupping the breast instead of brute grabbing and may also help to depict the weight of the breast

>>7289172
neck to long and narrow and double concave lines looks like stretching rubber like trying its pulling her head out

>>7289179
Usually drapery lineart is line weight intensive, usually touhou pro fan art is intensive in drapery and do a great work at line weight. check boorus.
>>
File: pipedream.jpg (31 KB, 522x218)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
What do you guys recommend for learning rendering (colors and values)? Just draw/copy/paint over a lot of different forms and materials?
>>
File: NO WORKING AHEAD.png (94 KB, 1723x578)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>>7289216
>>
>>7289225
right now I have assorted #2 pencils, a pack of el cheapo colored pencils and a drawing tablet
not sure what technique/medium works best for study
>>
>>7289226
Looks made and non-sensical but don't quote me.
>>
File: rj4.jpg (1.51 MB, 3500x3500)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
Sketching Ruan jia.
>>
File: okonoki.png (131 KB, 1076x715)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
I couldn't draw so I played warthunder instead and felt worthless afterwards, so I went back to drawing.... but it's late now, so this is all I got done.
It's somehow flat....
I'll fix it tomorrow, I guess.
Not rounded off enough on the far side, I think.
I guess I should also adjust the angle of the thing on her head....

Any other suggestions or tips for me tomorrow? This is around month two of art for me. I can't draw on command yet.
>>
File: IMG_1265.jpg (1.76 MB, 1552x1986)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Yet another Miku but it will be for the national holidays in less than 2 weeks.
>>
>>7289310
Red for the blue hair is philosophically enlightening.
Goated.
I need you to personally tutor me.
>>
>>7289300
If you're a NEET or college student draw first thing in the morning. Hell, even if you're a working person, first thing in the morning. Swallow the frog. You will fight yourself tooth and nail and look for every excuse not to, but discipline and consistency go hand in hand and both consistency is vital for growth. I already know how productive a day of art will be for me within the first 10 minutes of my day based on whether or not I wake up thinking about art.
>>
>>7289310
I hate how you manage to have a clear “rendering” sketch despite it being so crude. Off to kill myself now.
>>
>>7289323
Or learn better value control and blending modes? Their workflow looks like it is along the lines of lineart (longest part) > clipping mask, gradient from teal to dark blue > color dodge layer to block in light values.
>>
>>7289319
Former neet; current student.
Mmm.... I had the same idea in the past with writing. Wrote for 7 years and could only muster anything half decent if I only considered the project as 'practice' or 'unserious.' Planning was my ruin. But most of those seven years were philosophizing and plotting, rather than actually writing.... Discipline and consistency.... certainly something I need. Coming back to this drawing despite not feeling it earlier was my first step to drawing on command.

But at the same time, I am hesitant to actually work towards it due to my experiences of being unable to fulfill any 'serious' work, or something that I actually care for and want to finish. Right now I don't consider myself an artist, and if I do, I think it'll put a lot more strain on me. Maybe it's something subconscious.... but making an active effort, I fear, will work as a detriment.

Mmmmm.... I feel like this reply is incomplete.... Maybe there's more to say, but what use is it to think a thought I've already thought.... Maybe I talked too much here....
I may or may not try it tomorrow. Regardless, thanks for the tip. I'll try and think about it before sleeping. Good night.
>>
File: Hndy.jpg (362 KB, 3006x4040)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
Hand practice and a Bengus copy
>>
>>7289336
O if u aren't in college for art forget the grindiness I was suggesting haha. It sounds like you're at a point in life where you're just doing art for the enjoyment of it, but also maybe a little torn about whether you trust want to let go of 'the dream' and maybe that's why you feel guilty. But if ur in college for art u def gotta grind brotha. Art is one the few degrees that sucks ass. Only graphic design breaks about even. Eveything else is nevative returns. In either case best of luck and hope to see ya around.
>>
File: file.png (96 KB, 1500x1500)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
I figured out how to clean my line art
delete it all
>>
File: sheet sept 5th 2024.jpg (1.26 MB, 5227x5330)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>
File: 4girls.jpg (40 KB, 1478x299)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>
File: head hands.png (787 KB, 811x1198)
787 KB
787 KB PNG
>Doing Loomis Head and Hands
>Get to the Tone chapter
>Dude pulls out the perfectly shaded, hyper-realistic chads
>Literal "draw the rest of the owl" moment.
>Every other head drawing book mentions not overdoing the shading and keeping it simple
Should I just skip it and continue with the rest of the book?
>>
File: uybyvctctyvu.png (456 KB, 1025x670)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
>>
File: nina_1.png (916 KB, 1240x1754)
916 KB
916 KB PNG
I did this
>>
>>7289471
If it looks too complicated for you squint your eyes and simplify the shadows values and try to define the planes as distinctly as possible. This would also be a good time to supplement your study with something like the asaro head so you can solidfy in your brain how the planes of the face interact with light and the values it creates.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/asaro-head-9d26548182f8465a8e97371a9170561e

This I'd a 3d asaro head you can use. Obviously this all can be overwhelming, especially if you don't have a decent grasp of construction or light/values, but I highly recommend you give it you best attempt. Simplify the heads into a block if you have to. Learning how light interacts with forms is something you'll have to address sooner or later and dipping your toes in it now can help you out later. It's all about getting your brain to practice spatial logic.
>>
File: 1725393894749519.png (859 KB, 736x1024)
859 KB
859 KB PNG
>>7289092
just shoving this here for reference because my pc is fucking up
>>
>>7289310
How did you learn coloring? Also, need a blog, my nigga
>>
File: roomis.jpg (119 KB, 1641x886)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>7289471
You can do simpler versions of the heads and still a learn from them
>>
>>7289385
ur getting better!
>>
>>7289471
Are you retarded? Would you prefer his examples to be bad?
>>
File: c42.jpg (3.33 MB, 4605x3073)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
what's the best course for specifically learning character design?
I'm a 3Dfag so I don't need to be able to draw perfectly (although I'll go through Brent Eviston's course again), but I'd like to be able to create interesting cartoony characters ala pic related
>>
>>
>>7289187
Is this typical behaviour of the /DAD/ thread? I considered trying it for fun but was put off by needing to sign up. This seems alarmingly petty though, why are they so bothered?
>>
>>7289559
The ultimate normie bait art
>>
>>7289225
Start with value first and leave colour on the shelf for now since it will complicate things quite a lot.

Basically you just want to do value studies to build up your knowledge first, lots of free resources about that online. Statues are popular for it because you can focus on just observing and reproducing what you see. After that try making some weird shapes and lighting them in different ways to invent believable 3d forms.
>>
>>7289563
They're not. The thread is in no way indicative of the site, the people who spend a lot of time in the thread draw less and shitpost more, and even the smallest drop of "drama" is enough to attract the resident schizos
>>
File: sa333344.jpg (2.86 MB, 7442x2265)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
>>7289565
I like all kinds of shit, pic related. it's just that the style I posted is very obviously cartoony and also easy for me to 3D sculpt, so there's probably a few drawing courses out there targeted to it
>>
>>7289559
>>7289574
Unfortunately, I can't point you do a definitive best course on character design because I don't think it exists. The best thing you can do is focus on design fundamentals instead and I think you'll get better results anyway.

Good character design always draws on good personal taste which I think you have, but because it's personal taste, you'll never actually find a course on it that will 100% meet your needs. Trying to mimic and understand the decision making process behind characters you like is probably the most practical thing you can do.
>>
File: file.png (221 KB, 1073x543)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>7289172
I like the face and eyes you have here.
-Biceps need peaks
-Make indents where the dress is pressing into the breasts and thighs
-think about the stretch and pinching of the figure and the dress.
-your head placement could be a tad bit more of to the side
-for a tight dress like this, when the legs start to get closer to the abdomen, the dress won't reveal the legs all that much. Instead it's almost like a flat plane because of how stretched it is from being so tight.

Who's you main inspiration? Any artist you want to emulate?
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 475x488)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
incase there's confusion over the indent. The cross section got smaller, compressing into the cylinder. The mass of the cylinder hasn't changed, it's just spilling out from where it's being compressed.
>>
File: Capture.png (39 KB, 716x244)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>7289342
Tried doing it this morning. Feel like I had the same problem as yesterday with the flatness, so I tried to fix it. (Suigintou)
Is the 3rd version better? (left to right)
>>
>>7289669
Damn great write anon thank you. This one is pretty sloppy still, I was just doodling so it's missing the polish of another pass like I do for finished pieces.

I've actually been struggling to find people to study so I've been trying to synthesize things I like.

If you have any recommendations I'll look into them.
>>
>Don't draw for a few days
>Feel like I haven't touched a pencil in months
Fuck is this shit?
>>
>>7289313
Thanks, but red on blue is like the 1+1 of color theory.

>>7289323
You literally need to stop zooming. I often see begs zooming so much you can count pixels.

>>7289509
I just play with values, up the reds on the bright zones and the blues on the dark zones. I rarely touch the green channel. @nemojona
>>
File: 190.jpg (186 KB, 1500x1000)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
Trying to make something like this but I don't know what colors to use
>>
File: 661.jpg (1.16 MB, 2560x1440)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Hello beg, death conquers all! Took 3 drawing sessions and i am scared i will have to retouch it for more.

>>7289743
every time you dont draw all your gains are reset to zero. its over
>>7289487
pizi-zubka
>>7289471
you dont learn difficult things by skipping difficult things
>>7289310
despite it being WIP it looks nice, good job mister painter
>>7289187
when i was prebeg and discovered /ic, i was considering joining DAD instead of BEG, but then i saw the rigid lmao rules and how everybody would cheat by either uploading stickmen or uploading older (never published before work) on the day you simply cannot draw and gave up on it. And then imagine when your PC or internet dies. Not even google has 100% availability on their servers...
>>7289179
looks nice. not any of the books i did so far talked much about line weight. only scot robertson had like 2 paragraphs about how to use it to enhance perspective (closer = thicker) depth
>>7289172
booba
>>7289169
looks kinda washed out?
>>
>>7289754
who would've thought pawell can draw once he has a goal that isn't just to aimlessly copy books
>>
>>7289754
not bad pawell, but you cool it with the soft brush and use the sharp one more often.
>>
File: 3.png (547 KB, 1058x554)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
wagie cagie hours are DONE, time to draw
a warmup to get started
>>
>>7289754
Shit my dude, this is AWESOME. I wonder what character is supposed to be the girl in the back, up on the stairs. She looks out of place, from another time.
>>
When learning figure drawing, where should I start? It seems most books start off with gesture but I've seen a lot of people going "Oh gesture is really hard and not a beginner topic", so I'm a bit confused. Is it just a "get started on it early and practice it a lot but don't expect to get really good at it or master it fast" thing?
>>
>>7289754
Take your meds schizo
>>
>>7289770
It's fine to learn gesture first. It's just supposed to help you "feel" the flow of a piece. It's supposed to be used in tandem with construction which should be the next lessons after gesture. Order between construction or gesture doesn't really matter imo, some people might say gesture isn't a beginner topic because your perception on gesture shifts as your skill increases and you begin realizing you were doing gesture "wrong" but it's better to not get caught up on the logistics and just do.
>>
>>7289770
Start with proportion and then gesture. Getting a good grasp of proportion first makes everything that follows less difficult, especially gesture.
>>
>>7289782
>Start with proportion and then gesture
Gesture and proportion go hand in hand dipshit. gesture helps you learn proportion.
>>
>>7289788
I don't disagree, but starting with proportion helps you focus on the flow more when you start gesture drawing instead of being preoccupied correcting for the proportion. That's why I said proportion and then gesture.
>>
>>7289804
Why are beginners like this?
>>
File: mesons.png (321 KB, 1400x1229)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
some doodles
>>
File: drawings.png (2.58 MB, 2790x1458)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB PNG
>>7289770
Here are a few of my drawings and studies, please decide for yourself if my advice has any value to you. I'm the proportion and then gesture anon.
>>
File: 523152.jpg (23 KB, 672x434)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>7289788
>>7289829
Not him but damn son
What specific exercises/resources did you go through for getting good proportions?
Is that hampton in the bottom left im spotting?
>>
>>7289833
I copied out a proportion chart from one of the loomis books a couple of times just to try and absorb the landmarks and his ideal proportions as a base, and whenever I do gesture studies I start by just doing stick figures of the poses where I only look at proportions. I like 9 heads more than 8 myself, but I think 8 is the best to start with. Learning the landmarks is the most important bit though.

Those are some bridgman studies in the bottom right, I think he's good for getting your drawings a bit more solid looking. I had a lot of problems with my proportions being way off when I would do gesture drawing and it only got better once I actually practiced it explicitly.
>>
File: maoi heads.png (949 KB, 1566x2034)
949 KB
949 KB PNG
>>7289847
*left

some moai heads to make up for wasting a post on a correction.
>>
>>7289829
Very nice work anon.
>>
>>7289700
What things do you like? Any specific art or artists.
As for any recommendations I'll try and keep it varied. Studying frames from great movies both live-action and animated is cool too.

Old Masters (Dead dudes almost always worth studying)
-J. C. Leyendecker
-Alphonse Mucha
-John Singer Sargent
-Franklin Booth
-Nicolai Fechin
-Mead Schaeffer
-N. C. Wyeth
-Thomas Moran

Contemporary artists
-Yoh Yoshinari
-Yumingli
-Maukun Yim
-Loish
-Hidari

Artists I'd recommend checking out based on your drawing
-yoshio (55level)
-poch4n
-slammo
-Kinu Nishimura
>>
>>7289861
Thanks anon, I haven't actually done any figure drawing in a few months now so I was worried I wouldn't be able to find anything relevant to show so some of it is fairly old. The girl on the right is the most recent thing and it was for a dtiys thread here. Manuscript illumination is what i've been more into lately.
>>
>>7289885
Sounds really cool, care to share?
>>
File: AisforAamonWip.png (3.66 MB, 2000x1489)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB PNG
>>7289888
This is the one I've been working on the most, I put in two of the older versions to show some of the changes. I really wanted to put a split ammonite in it but I'm struggling to get it to look right so thats what that weird smear is at the bottom of the most finished one.
>>
>>7289858
Maoi guy. I saved one of your pictures that I really liked, but forgot to save another. I really love your style and find your peices moving. Have a blog or something?
>>
>>7289924
Looks really cool, I personally think the middle one looks best, the red looks good but it leans into more horror territory, especially since it begins to look like blood. Maybe that’s intentional though
>>
>>7289930
Sorry to disappoint but I'm just a fellow Moai Anon fan. He'll probably show up eventually though.
>>
File: morf leg.jpg (62 KB, 900x835)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>
File: two.png (410 KB, 699x694)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
I'm trying to learn lighting/shadow as well as color theory.

I know I wanted the red in this, but the coloring doesn't feel right. Should it have been more blue? Also, any major tips on the lighting/shading?
>>
File: one.png (96 KB, 570x596)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
Heres another one. Again trying to work on lighting / shading.
>>
>>7289931
Yeah I wanted it to look a touch more sinister since it's supposed to be a demon. I really like stuff like the voynich manuscript and weird old books on demonolgy so I've been trying to cram in occult symbols and things like clues for summoning him or making offerings. I started doing colour theming after I started this one though so its a fair assessment that its probably not as good.

>>7289939
This is looking good but you should note where they've used darker lines to emphasise or draw out the forms. In particular your calf has faded into the thigh a little too much. I really like how delicately you've drawn the toes though.
>>
>>7289743
do warm-ups, like just draw circles, boxes, hatching lines, for 15-20 minutes to loosen up
>>
Trying to make my own poses to see if i actually learned something instead of just copying a pose.
>>
File: Fuck hair.jpg (248 KB, 2048x1536)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
What fucking cock sucking brush do I use for rendering fucking hair??? I hate fucking hair, I can’t stand this shit. It always looks muddy. Yes, I know it’s shit, I fucking gave up halfway through because I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing. I’m using as many hard round meme brushes as I can find, but I can’t fucking render the highlights shadows right. I watch a pro illustrator do it, and they’ve apparently got some magic brush that just fucking does this shit for them. I can’t take it anymore

FUCK HAIR
>>
File: file.png (901 KB, 706x854)
901 KB
901 KB PNG
>>
File: Screenshot_273.png (550 KB, 1140x337)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
How to draw these poses correctly? How to draw the bent leg of a guy and the last girl?
>>
>>7289959
This looks great, full of appeal. It makes me interested in the character.

>>7289975
I use a hard round modified for pressure opacity and a basic blend tool. Shape is pretty important for hair so it might be easier practice your rendering on straight smooth hair before trying curls or waves. The issue with it turning out muddy is probably a combination of unflattering colour choices and digital blending turning things into soup. If you can be more specific with your trouble maybe I can help?
>>
>>7290003
It’s probably the color choice I struggle with the most, but I’m using blending modes and just using hue transform to cycle through all the colors, so it feels like nothing I do looks good.

Also this, I want to do it like she’s doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/live/C7CSfuMWzaA?si=lS8hw7hvkla0-8tk
I know
>vtubers
But looks at this shit man, she does it effortlessly. At time stamp 50:10, she just it with a single brush and it looks so good. It looks like hard round, but I’m going through all the hard rounds I can find and it just looks like shit. Using CSP btw, I know there’s no literal PS hard round, but I’m trying whatever equivalents I can
>>
File: morf head.jpg (134 KB, 1302x1050)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>7289947
Thanks, I try to get through these pretty quickly though (Morpho would otherwise take years for me to complete fully)
>>
>>7290003
Thanks!
>>
>>7290014
I don't think she's doing anything particularly special just drawing in shapes and strokes. It's definitely not a hard round brush though, it looks as though its edges become more diffuse the less pressure is applied. Off the top of my head I think one of the water colour brushes in csp behaves similar but I'll have a look at my own and try to give you a better answer if i can find one.

Another thing is her colour choice is good, it'd be hard to know for sure without eyedropping it but to me it looks like a taupe that has a bit more red so its starting to pull purple. Something like that looks flattering on blue black hair. She's also erasing to correct the shape of her highlights, is that something you've tried yourself?
>>
File: cato and jules.png (278 KB, 465x619)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
I can't draw because i don't have a soul
>>
File: IMG_20240905_213412.jpg (104 KB, 1200x1600)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Did I fuck this one up?
>>
>>7290016
nobody can point to any work done by michel lauricella that doesnt look like shit so i wonder why people follow his books
>>
File: highlights brush.png (379 KB, 1742x1106)
379 KB
379 KB PNG
>>7290014
>>7290029
Ok it might be some kind of modified hard round. I'm certain she's adjusting the size of the brush manually in between her strokes though so that's something to keep in mind, probably with a shortcut.

I got sick of trying to make the csp brush behave the way I wanted so I gave up and modified a standard hard round, the settings I changed are there in the image if you want to try it as well. It's not a perfect match but I think its a start. If you want to try the csp brush its the Opaque Watercolor brush.
>>
>>7290078
No, you did some fucking hot shit right there anon. She's freaking hot.
The problem is that you're limited by the traditional media to test and fix stuff easily. Digital media is incredibly helpful for guys like you who need to expand their possibilities, canvas size, rotate, do a separate quick sketch, erase a whole character and do it again in a subtle different position, or just crop a leg and re shape it a tiny bit with the transform tool, etc.
What I'm saying is that at some point, you will need to go digital to make that key breakthrough in your skill level.
You're good already, but you're like an amazing artist trying to work in a room with no lights on.
I hope you post more hot doodles.
>>
>>7290086
It's just a copy though
>>
>>7290029
I stepped out for a bit, seeing this now. A lot of the times when I try to erase it looks jaggy/messy and incomplete, and if I try to do it with a hard brush it loses that soft effect
>>7290083
That looks great anon, thank you so much. Which brush are you using as the base? Is it “round mixing brush” in paints? That one seems like it’s supposed to be the PS hard round equivalent
>>
File: pp.jpg (2.09 MB, 4690x2057)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>found a God-tier brush, winter 2022 tilty pencil variant
>doesn't work with an overhand grip on a tablet on a flat surface
FUCK. had to order the Huion ST200 stand
>>
>>7290016
The example on the left is made by an artist who is supposed to be teaching people?
What the fuck
>>
>>7290088
That's fine, keep at it. But start thinking about going digital, it's going to be crucial when you try to construct your own compositions. Digital will speed up that process a lot.
>>
How do I find good artists who have drawing vods available? Most Twitch art streamers suck and trying to find livestreams on Youtube is painful.
>>
>>7290002
You have a couple issues with relative angles and proportions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqKd2XB844
>>
File: file.png (138 KB, 611x853)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>7289092
I have a feeling something is wrong here....
>>
>>7290091
It's just called Hard Round so I think I might have made it myself at some point. These ones on the asset store look good though, I would modify either Hard Round or Hard Round(no spacing) to get the right effect:
https://assets.clip-studio.com/en-us/detail?id=2012346

I think it would be worth trying some of the others in this pack though, the key technique thing shes doing is shifting the size while she was draws. If you don't already, you should consider either learning what the binding for changing your brush size is or changing it to something yourself. I think by default on csp its the < and > keys but I'm not sure. As for the erasing, it looks like she's either using a soft eraser or changing her current brush to transparent so you can mimic it as long as you don't use something with hard edges.
>>
>>7290110
You are incredibly based anon, thank you for everything
>>
Well it's been about a year...within 11 days anyway.

I have come so far, though I wish I got further as my progress was slightly slowed down due to various issues...mainly the mistake of taking commissions on, which was a terrible idea with my poor confidence and still very iffy quality (as you can see in my recent study of the same album cover compared to the first), though I have drawn some pics which for my current skill level people thought looked amazing, but due to them being commissions and of weird stuff, I can't share them. Hopefully I can share some future pics that are impressive very soon.

So I was originally gonna do this study a few months ago (background was drawn a few months back actually, probably would look better if I redrew them but I wanted to focus on the bird), but I got distracted, and decided due to the anniversary coming up I felt it would be better safe than sorry to get it out of the way with now, as I have one more commission I am going to do before I take a long ass break from those (so I can get better and gain more confidence), as I believe the anxiety and lack of confidence with my abilities caused me to procrastinate and feel less relaxed about drawing (considering this was people's money who needed quality), so I shall put a halt to them until I get much better.

That being said, definite jump in quality...though I couldn't be arsed to nail the legs better so I feel it's still not very good, but leagues better than the first one I drew. So here's to another year of drawing, maybe I'll do another redraw hopefully once I have many more proper pictures done.
>>
>>7290095
At least share the brush.
>>
File: 626.png (132 KB, 535x701)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>7290102
cure girl, good job king
>>
File: 33333333.png (622 KB, 1000x906)
622 KB
622 KB PNG
>>7290122
I said it, but here, from winter 2022. the guy I watched who spoke about it dropped the flow from 50% to 40%, so I copied that
also just realized I can fake toned paper in photoshop. digital is too good. idk why more people don't do this

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/brushes.html
>>
>>7290141
>Kyle’s brushes are available to Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Fresco subscribers

lmfao
>>
You aren't some permabeg retard who never grinded his fundies right? What did you study for fundie? Post them right now.
>>
>>7290119
>Not even a year in
>Omg le guise I was so busy doing so many commissions
>But I cant post them because NDA teehee.
Post them u fag.
>>
File: Screenshot_116.png (150 KB, 413x839)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>
>>7290155
Just trust him bro.
>>
If you don't mind paying for brushes, pharan's enpitsu brushes are probably the best pencil style brushes I've tried. Its not too difficult to find free ones that are good though
>>
>>7290141
>idk why more people don't do this
Because it's faster and easier to accomplish shit via traditional means.
>>
>>7290155
Oh, there is no NDA.

It's just degenerate fetish stuff and I don't feel like subjecting you people to it.
>>
>>7290144
oh my bad, didn't realize it needed an account
decode with base64

aHR0cHM6Ly9waXhlbGRyYWluLmNvbS91L2k4ZWExNTdX

>>7290161
traditional means, meaning what exactly? traditional drawing? I don't see how it'd be faster and easier if so
>>
>>7290128
I will now proceed to study your drawing.
>>
I feel like I will never draw things of my own because it feels terrible using that time and effort when I could instead use that time on studies and learning. I don't have a problem with either of those and find them pretty fun so I'm kind of stumped.
>>
File: yippeee.png (187 KB, 1366x1216)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
Wahoo!

I spent like an hour on the head alone this morning, and after class ended about 10 minutes ago, I suddenly became enlightened and was able to draw this. My scaling woes come to an end. I feel like I made the face too long, though.

This is my first lewd drawing....
>>7289697
>>
File: vu0kzb.jpg (833 KB, 1240x1000)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
trad from memory
>>
>>7289788
let's see it
>>
File: image.jpg (700 KB, 5254x2544)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>7289092
To be honest, I don't know what I am doing. How do I improve in graphite drawing? Both in a stylistic way, and realistic/rendered way.
>>
File: Untitled_Artwork (49).jpg (351 KB, 2561x1405)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
I don't get why the sketch layer is necessary(it's not in the final product) but for me it is totally necessary
>>
File: rety.png (1008 KB, 1806x1895)
1008 KB
1008 KB PNG
>>
>>7290203
Brent Eviston's course. your lines are too short and scratchy, not loose and confident with an overhand grip, and the outer lines are acting as a sort of border / outline which isn't something observed in the real world
this is decently close to the reference though, so good job on that, but there's a bit of styling that isn't really there, like the hair at the edges being sharp and the eyes being a bit bigger, although some of that is probably intentional
>>
2nd week
realized there's no hope for me
>>
>>7290203
you are getting good Anon, keep going.
>>
>>7289092

Using adjustment layers levels/curve/color adjustment is bad for my progress? should I seal this shit?
>>
>>7290228
no rules, only tools. of course it'd be ideal if your values and colors were always perfect, but it can't hurt to have the option to tweak it later on
>>
>Eviston has a new course, The Drawing Laboratory
>only 2 parts
fugg. should I do those 2 then move onto his old course/s?
>>
>>7290203
Good copy! Beginner should reallly focus on improving accuracy and observation skill like you do.
>>
>>7290258
It’s the same shit as The Art and Science of Drawing
>>
File: retjj.png (1.7 MB, 1806x1895)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
>>7290207
it all comes down to finding a process which works the best for you
>>7290203
I think whats missing is the whiskers
and if you did the indiivudal fur details it would make it pop
>>7290102
bodys and head are both facing different ways
>>7289959
nice job
>>
File: Capture.png (94 KB, 587x592)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
For the love of god someone led me their strength. I've been trying to redraw the eyes/chin forever but I have no idea how to make the far side eye curve eye while also maintaining the sharp & narrow eyes
>>
carpal tunnel sucks
>>
>>7290203
Try to get
Some
Forms
In there , currently it’s very flat
>>
>>7290295
why
are you
typing
like , this
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (23 KB, 716x244)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>7289697
Sup anon glad to see u draw today! Also great job on this >>7290178 it has lots of soul. I'd highly recommend at least reading a little bit of loomis or morpho. I did a little redline over ur anime face to show how your eyes are supposed to align with the curve of the face. Hope this helps and keep it up anon
>>
>>7290299
On phone and the return button is next to the space, sometimes
Causing
This
To
Happen.
>>
>>7290295
nta,
but you
are
retarded
>>
>>7290301
Thanks man,
I don't know what Loomis is... but I think the word sounds unappealing....
Like "plate." I hate the sound of that.
I want to learn whatever this person is doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLCxdvYWwA
But I bet that's far off... maybe I'll try something like that tomorrow morning.
>>
File: 662.jpg (1.22 MB, 2560x1810)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Hello beg, today i was surprisingly productive. Figgies still all sorts of lmao though

>>7290266
have you tried using references?
>>7290265
cute thots. i would put the green yes a bit closer though
>>7290203
grafite sucks ass. try out charcoal (in any form like charcoal pencil, stick, conte) instead. also get yourself q-tip for smudging and test what happens when you draw with side instead of the tip of the pencil. and lastly eraser is a drawing tool. in your cat case you use eraser to "Draw" the white whiskers
>>7290053
soul is not required, dont worry
>>7289959
good as usual
>>7289944
soul
>>7289768
she is supposed to be local herbalist, pointing the group of wannabe heroes to the source of evil. i did not want them all three to form a human train, so i put her at distance. she makes visual curiosity in the composition: will she get eaten first or will she betray the group?
>>
File: 190r.jpg (138 KB, 1200x1200)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>7289749
Found it
>>
File: overboard.png (370 KB, 2379x1261)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
>>7290266
>For the love of god someone led me their strength
"mindful" copying is the fastest way to improve
>I've been trying to redraw the eyes/chin forever but I have no idea how to make the far side eye curve eye
read loomis, use construction, that's what your vtuber there is doing too, albeit very loosely
redrawing/moving one line at a time, hoping to find the magic one that makes all the other parts suddenly look cohesive will never work, redraw everything instead, do not be afraid of erasing what you have drawn
>>
File: file.png (239 KB, 1407x279)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
wait, so i'm supposed to not copy the reference?
>>
>>7290345
>>7290265
Thanks!
>>
>>7290375
>so i'm supposed to not copy the reference?
yeah. copying the reference is bad, like, really, really bad. anyone who copies a reference is not an artist and a bad person, like, really, really bad.
>>
>>7290375
Not only are you allowed to exaggerate gesture, but time spent grinding proportion and forms is going to influence how you draw. If you do 7 head tall figures enough then you'll apply reference to them.
>>
>>7290375
congratulations on watching your first scam lesson.

the art world is only filled with those.

Begs either perish or live. You live if you can find a single good teacher who decided to not lie to you about everything. good luck
>>
>>7289340
Have you heard the good word, bigman? Youre gonna make it.
>>
File: post.png (1.58 MB, 1462x1752)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
how do i improve stylized portraits
>>
File: figg.png (1.22 MB, 1500x1700)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>>
>>7290397
Practice recreating a style from an artist you like?
>>
>>7290397
get good at conventional portraiture. the methods for improving are more straightforward and will allow you to better understand stylized portraits because you see where they're pushing conventions, you can see what you like and don't like about more conventional portraits and certain stylized ones to implement in your own work. otherwise you're just guessing.
>>
>>7290426
okay how do i do that
>>
>>7290429
Get a life
>>
>>7290430
wow
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (109 KB, 1133x763)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>7290397
Do you know how to do a caricature? It's the same thing in essence, but with the goal of "beautifying" it. You take the most notable features of face and exaggerate them in a way that's cuter. Also you want to make your blending smooth. Smooth like a porcelain doll. Normies love that shit. Your colors are also muddied, you should be using fleshtones on the nose and sublty on the cheeks. I didn't touch the eyes as except for the right one a lil bit since they're the most "defined" stylistic choice of your drawing. Reminds me of the whole jelly art koreanboo shit.
>>
File: figure.jpg (1.22 MB, 5227x5330)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>
>>7290432
>jelly art koreanboo shit.
what?
>>
>>7290434
look up jellyart on tiktok
>>
>>7290435
maybe i should get a better idea of what i want to do cause that ain't it
>>
File: sk.png (2.99 MB, 1497x1773)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB PNG
Done with this.
Any feedback is welcome
>>
File: PXL_20240906_051413922~2.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>7289092
Study of a photo. Long way to go, but feel myself getting better all the time, very fun. Think I might stay up all night, smoke some cigs, drink a bottle of wine, watch tv, and just practice drawing from photos
>>
>>7290438
The trick with these portraits, is the simpler your underlying forms, the better. Your goal is to make that simplicity shine via supplemental things like color variation, skin texture, pretty lighting or in your case, emphasis on their eyes in order to captivate the viewer. And those supplemental things are what is going to make your style "your style"
>>
>>7290439
really good but the tangents with the moon thing in the background is annoying
>>
File: vocaloid_4girls3.jpg (3.67 MB, 7632x1740)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
Done
>>
>>7290445
this is cute, whatre they reacting to?
>>
>>7290446
Me
>>
>>7290446
I dont know, but theres a tv remote on the ground
>>
File: vocaloid_4girls2.jpg (2.68 MB, 3500x1925)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>>7290445
Meant to post this one
>>
File: file.png (311 KB, 1057x815)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
How the FUCK do you render rocks, I feel like I am not getting there. Trust the process?
>>
>>7290460
copy artwork first, not photos
>>
File: tykhknkbviytyghjk.png (410 KB, 907x1410)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
>>
File: loomis plate 36.jpg (124 KB, 1457x1055)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>
File: tykhknkbviytyghjk1.png (401 KB, 907x1410)
401 KB
401 KB PNG
>>
File: file.png (1.02 MB, 1038x859)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>7290439
I like what you have going on, but I can't tell what you're going for. Is she on a rooftop or on a street? I can't tell how you want me to feel looking at this either. Menacing? Ominous? There's just not a very clear direction for me to feel anything. Making her look down at us from a higher angle would make her appear more threatening. I do think you have a good color palette going but that you could push it closer to being monochrome to accentuate how the sky is dyed a reddish color.

I do think her breasts look just a tad bit on the balloon-y side. That's more of a minor issue. What artists do you like and act as your main inspiration?
>>
File: Dorfette.jpg (212 KB, 1061x1191)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>7289092
Wonky in places but I'm calling it done.
>>
File: file.png (200 KB, 491x785)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>7290484
that is the exact opposite of the advice I usually here, so I'm not sure if it's a subtle troll or who I should believe....

I wanted to draw this in forced/3pp but actually, I don't know how to do that apparently
>>
>>7290161
still have no idea what this means
>>
>>7290563
Means that anon can't afford a tablet so he seethes online.
>>
Recent stylized drawing from reference.

What should I focus on to improve further? For now, my aim is to be able to draw nice stylized heads and shoulders.

Critiques welcome.
>>
File: cat eyed girl.png (190 KB, 587x592)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>7290266
I gave it a try but I ended up adjusting the hair and ear too to reinforce the tilt. I know that's not what you asked for though so I drew over the important bits in red.

I also agree with what that other anon said about loomis and construction, it can be tedious but it does pay off over time. Akihito Yoshitomi posts a lot of videos on youtube that are just him practicing construction and his work is probably more to your taste as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSf0UYDi9sA
>>
>>7290574
I like this, you seem to have a lot of confidence in your forms and it reads well. You already have a pretty solid sense of flow but since you want to do stylised portraits you could try pushing and exaggerating that more by having the forms flow together. Pic related but maybe not quite so exaggerated on a young subject. The only criticism I really have is I'd like to see more lines made with a sharp point on your pencil, but that's really just preference.

>>7290555
Drawing from life is important for building fundamental knowledge, but copying from other artists can teach you good ways to approach things and it helps develop taste. You can't really go wrong studying from life though, so that's probably why its pushed more.
>>
>>7290563
It means what it says -- if I wanna smudge I don't have to stop what I'm doing and fiddle with a brush picker, I just fuckin smudge with my other hand and other various things similar to that. It's faster than fiddling with a fucking app.
>>
>>7290582
Wonderful, thank you for the help. I was concerned about the hair too, since the face only looked worse after I drew it.

I did try to redraw one of Yoshitomi's works with a friend a couple months ago, but I don't think I really learned much.

With everyone talking about Loomis, I suppose I should go about it... Sigh.....
>>
>>7290439
I think you could push the contrast more and look at some references with backlit figures, I think it would have had more impact if the maid was shadowed from the front with a stronger rim light, maybe a bit of eye glow. You've done lots of nice detail though especially in the hair, I think technically that's probably the highlight, but the ruffles in her skirt got a bit discordant. The little bats are my favourite.

>>7290433
Sorry if this is rude, but was the intention here to translate this pose on to a male figure?

>>7290600
Loomis can be a challenge because the material is old fashioned and even in fun with a pencil there's a weird difficulty spike a few chapters in. His head method is probably best though just for how flexible it is. For anime style drawing I would look at his head proportions for children specifically, it would be easier than jumping into trying to modify the standard heads into moe proportions.
>>
>>7290574
Focus on lips and consider adding more texture. Line quality is excellent.
>>
>>7290597
>assign smudge to S
>never have to assign it ever again
>press S
>you are now smudging
whoa...
>>
>>7290597
>fiddle with a brush picker
You mean press a hotkey?
>>
>>7290602
>fun with a pencil there's a weird difficulty spike a few chapters in
NTA but yeah, I'm going through the book right now and it goes from
>here's 20-something pages of funny faces for you to try
to just dumping something new on you every page
now I do get that you're supposed to have figured out to just draw stuff without needing him to handhold you with an example but it's still quite an annoying jump
>>
>>7289487
>>7289179
>>7289172
Good stuff guys.

>>7289766
Based. Keep it up anon. God knows at the end of the day it's too easy to throw in the towel.
>>
>>7289754
I had my doubts when seeing the exercises you post usually but this is looking very nice, really like your style.
>>
>>7290609
Yeah, I think it actually filters a lot of people because you hit that wall and think you should be able to pick this stuff up as quick as the blooks and move on. Causes a lot of frustration, especially if you're just trying to complete the book.
>>
File: lsm.jpg (3.46 MB, 7000x5179)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
>>7289559
>>7289585
went mental coursefag mode and bought some stuff, about to pull the trigger on a load more
I'm pretty sure this will set me up for the next year or more and get me where I need to be. as a NEET I've got endless free time anyway
I'm already an intermediate in blender so a lot of this is probably overkill but fuck it, tired of self-teaching via youtube vids creating gaps in knowledge
threw in a mix of drawing and 3D stuff so I can bounce between the two subjects
>>
File: file.png (135 KB, 923x607)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>7290616
yeah it's certainly a wall, especially when my ass never had to actually put effort into studying or learning shit throughout education and still pass near top of the class
now being nearly 30 and employed, and having to learn how to actually study shit is painful but I ain't stopping
>>
File: cartoonhorse.jpg (2.41 MB, 1859x2574)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>7290621
will you share with the class?
>>
>>7290623
From the looks of it, you aren’t really applying the principles that Loomis is teaching and you’re just drawing them head on. Start with a sphere, roughly plan the proportions, try using basic shapes for things such as the nose, ears, hats, etc, and work your way forward. Think to yourself “how would Loomis draw this?” while you study him.
>>
>>7290574
Do you post here frequently? This little doodle is the best thing that I've seen here in quite a while.
>>
>>7290623
This is also just personal preference but I don’t think Loomis is designed to be done digitally. The planning and construction all seem to be more trad oriented, but that’s just my .2 . Seems like it would be more difficult to do on a digital medium
>>
>>7290574
Your lines + line flow, use of line weight, stylization and subtle shading are all superb. However, the hair is flat and formless, the ear is a tad too high and looks incorrect in the current perspective, and the neck anatomy looks a bit arbitrarily drawn (where is the neck line going/connecting to?) . I think that the face having shading, more forms, and detail doesn’t contrast very well with the relatively simplistically designed hair. Great work though, keep it up.
>>
>>7290639
I'm trying to apply them but yeah I don't feel it working that well so far, just need more practice with it
>>7290642
yeah I am feeling that a bit myself, but I am picking up some things here and there

all in all, I'm certainly learning some basics here and there
>>
>>7290445
>>7290455
i recognized you immediately
>>
>>7290623
Based
>>
File: hairs.png (129 KB, 834x510)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>7289829
the beetle and horse are wonderful...

>>7289975
hue shifting will help it look less muddy! im kindof shit at painting but i tried to draw what i mean. i can explain what i did in more detail if you want!

>>7290203
i think you are symbol drawing a bit but im too stupid to communicate how/why

>>7290439
cute! the eyes arent in the right position or angle on the face and the right foot (viewers left) looks odd. but very cute!

>>7290455
tim hortons....... these are believable orders for them
>>
File: ffff.png (785 KB, 1479x1997)
785 KB
785 KB PNG
>>
>>7290728
End yourself perma/beg/-kun
>>
>>7290728
propagate yourself perma/beg/-kun
>>
>>7290751
Post your work.
>>
File: file.png (140 KB, 439x660)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
how the fuck do i draw curly hair
>>
>>7290728
i would suggest drawing based off nude models as well, it's hard to figure out how legs work when they're clothed

>>7290574
work on hair, remember her hairline underneath the bangs
>>
>>7290775
draw the strands of course, not all of them like spaghetti so leave some gaps to imply touching hairs and clumps and also flyaway strands are your friend
>>
File: 20240906_134604.jpg (976 KB, 1361x3102)
976 KB
976 KB JPG
it is so fucking over
>>
File: j88s.png (1.43 MB, 1489x1151)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>>7290627
here's this course for now. key is Hb07GTalP5qlVD2DLeYTBw if it doesn't open

https://mega.nz/folder/mY8mFBoK#Hb07GTalP5qlVD2DLeYTBw
https://keelanjon.gumroad.com/l/beginners-guide-to-blender-by-keelanjon
>>
>>7290809
just realized this is a 3D modeling course and I'm in /ic/ but fuck it
for the skillshare stuff just set up a trial account and use Internet Download Manager if you wanna keep it forever, or just find it on a torrent ofc
>>
File: nt.png (929 KB, 1479x2024)
929 KB
929 KB PNG
>>7290778
noted
tried to fix my drawing a bit
>>
>>7290547

We see everything in profile but then her stomach and awesome rocking tits are nearly frontal. This some kind of sex thing? Anyway fix it because it looks silly. A pelvis doesn’t work like that
>>
>>7290799
thanks for nothing
>>
>>7290830
really cute
>>
File: we've only just begun.png (201 KB, 1741x459)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>7290806
>>
File: sheet sept 6th 2024.jpg (1.32 MB, 5227x5330)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>7290602
I mostly copy Morpho’s potato-people, so all my figures look like that

Might start copying Dean Yeagle next or something so they don't look so boxy / masculine
>>
>>7290854
i have until october to get my shit together and be able to draw perfect proportional observational realism. i am not making it.
>>
>>7290864
>i have until october to get my shit together and be able to draw perfect proportional observational realism
and why's that?
>>
>>7290860
nigga when are you gonna draw something?
What are you doing this for?
You've been at it for a few months now?
>>
>>7290868
i have to prepare a college portfolio. the requirements for this year come out in october. i need to start working on it immediately as soon as the requirements are revealed.
>>
>>7290888
Nigga what? I hope art isn't your major for your sake. That shit is not a return on your investment. If you are going to college for art and its you need to wake the fuck up and realize you're gambling with your future. A 100 thousand dollar gamble. My nigger. Wake the fuck up. You have to start taking art a lot more serious if you're actually doing that or you'll end up like one of the countless "art students" that are not employable because they thought having a degree substitutes skill. Jesus christ brother. At the very least pivot into graphic design or some shit. Ironically its the only art degree that offers some kind of return and has a low barrier of entry.
>>
>>7290888
>the requirements for this year come out in october. i need to start working on it immediately as soon as the requirements are revealed
okay but when's the deadline for submission?
>>
>>7290897
im not american, dumbfuck. i wouldnt be going to college if itd put me in debt.
>>
>>7290864
are you applying for art school? has your art teacher taught you anything about drawing from observation? make sure you're using something as a basis of measurement, like your thumb or the tip of pencil to measure out what you see vs your paper. this will help IMMENSELY with proportions. for example when looking at the water bottle it might be 1 thumb wide at the widest point, 4 thumbs tall, and 3 thumbs away from the edge of the paper/where you want to draw on each side. mark out these measurements with small marks on the paper. and when doing shadows, block in the darkets parts first then go in with details. put highlights last. if you can't make out the darkest parts, squint and you can see the contrast better. or just change the lighting to be harsher, it makes it much easier. good luck
>>
>>7290922
i thought this was bad because its "cheating" and doesnt actually help you train your eye. the advice i have gotten is to do a billion blind contour drawings until they start looking exact.
>>
>>7290927
it's not cheating lmao, do both and you won't get reliant on it.
>>
File: 3243.jpg (135 KB, 750x747)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>tfw just realized line art doesn't actually fucking matter that much, and you don't need to make a new layer and slowly trace over your sketch with clean lines
HOLY FUCKING THIS LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>7290927
That's...the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>7290927
yeah it is kinda cheating. I assume you know about the copyist vs constructionist mindset debate? Your methods depend on where on the spectrum you fall. Unfortunately some influential people on this general try to steer beginners towards the copyist mindset.
>>
>>7290940
he's trying to build a portfolio for an application. professional artists are capable of drawing from imagination but they still use refs for accuracy when making finished pieces. it's not cheating
>>
File: IMG_3348.png (1.26 MB, 1668x2388)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
how would u go about coloring this?
>>
File: overhand fail.webm (903 KB, 1136x746)
903 KB
903 KB WEBM
>>7290095
>easel for the tablet just arrived
>keeps failing to respond to strokes
>since pens are designed to take pressure vertically into the pen it's not picking up any pressure on its side
FUCK, thought the easel would fix it. the traditional pencil look with the fanned edge is the tits. having the lines be mechanical, even and thin looks like shit, plus holding a pencil / pen the same way you write sucks. trad Chads won
>>
>>7290951
crayons
>>
Sorry kiddos, but I got you beat in the SOVL factor...
>>
>>7290969
cool now post it without the dogawful rainbow noise overlay
>>
File: 1681112076081320.jpg (224 KB, 1650x925)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>7290974
No, I don't think I will do that (I didn't save the file)
>>
>>7290919
It doesn't change the fact that art has a shitty return in terms of money dumbass. A degree isn't going to save your very clear lack of skill. Either take it more seriously or it's waste of your time. Time, my guy, is literally priceless. You don't get your time back. Once a year of your life is gone. It's gone. I'm done lecturing you. You have to want this and it's clear you don't.
>>
>>7290940
>copyist vs constructionist mindset
The fuck are you on about, these things are not only not mutually exclusive, they serve different purposes altogether.
>>
File: IMG_0065.png (2.71 MB, 1640x2360)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB PNG
>>7290919
If I were in your situation anon, I’d pick up perspective made easy or some fundamental art book and develop your fundamental skills stronger. A water bottle is actually pretty easy to draw with perspective, as shown by pic rel. do line exercises, draw circles, boxes, etc. I believe in you, just try to find more structure with your learning.
>>
>>7290991
so because im shit at art means i dont want to be better. because obviously if i really liked art i would just be naturally talented and already perfect at it. what are you fucking smoking
>>
>>7291008
no he means you'd put in the work and put forth effort instead of jerking off all day while complaining about how you need to get your shit together while procrastinating
>>
>>7291010
i have diagnosed adhd. i cant motivate myself to do things that i dont already want to do without some kind of externally enforced structure. that is why i want to go to art school. i dont think ill be able to learn anything without the structure of an education. left to my own devices i will draw the same stylized bullfuckery until the day that i die, and i will enjoy doing it it, but the end result will never be good enough for my standards. and i dont even give a shit about whether i can get a job with an art degree just for the record.
>>
>>7291012
Oh my god here comes the bullshit excuses. Stay bad you faggot.
>>
>>7291008
These people are fuckin brain dead. Not just in /beg/, but everywhere. They all think if your art is shitty you must not be trying. Don't take any stock in these retards' opinions. They all wanna be able to draw anime so they can jerk off to it, anyway.
>>
of course i make a fucking typo jfc
>>
>>7291013
i promise you if your brain was constantly trying to boil itself in acid you would be shit at art too
>>
>>7291012
You know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe your adhd is really so debilitating all you can do all day is mindlessly browse 4chan and tiktok while your brain rots. Maybe you have been completely incapable of creating portfolio because of said adhd. That shit isn't going to change once you're in school. I've met countless people like you. Maybe you're different buddy. I WISH you entrance into that school. I hope that structure is what solves your dysfunctional executive function, but after school that structure disappears. You need to get your mental health in check while this structure you claim helps you thrive is keeping you in check.
>>
>>7291019
well, when the structure disappears i will have already learned most of what i need to learn. and if that falls through, well, i live on a very high floor of an apartment building. i can put two and two together. im not stupid.
>>
>>7291017
I have adhd brother. I have coping strategies that work well for me and I'd say my art journey is going just fine. The thing is most people self diagnose these days so I'm always skeptical when someone claims their adhd is completely debilitating.
>>
>>7291020
Uh, yeah. Alright buddy. I hope for your sake you're right and know yourself as well as you say you do, because to me it sounds like you are only thinking of the short term, which hey, might be because of your adhd.
>>
File: 2024-09-06_0.png (52 KB, 586x947)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>
>>7291022
you know, thats completely fair. but id just be lying like a bitch if i said it was no big deal. better to be honest with myself that im struggling and try to find something thatll help.
>>
File: file.png (267 KB, 1920x1079)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
bought a tablet and im currently going through the cube section a friend recommended through this website: https://drawabox.com/lesson/250boxes/1/convergences
not really sure what path I should take but Im winging it.
gonna keep drawing because it's fun
>>
ADHD or autism
whomst've'th lies higher on the disability totem scale
>>
>>7291024
four years is a pretty long time when youre young. and i think its better to get a degree in something i can stomach than to force myself into law school or some shit and inevitably drop out. then ill *really* have no future.
>>
>>7291029
also i am frail and terrified of fiberglass so i cant do trades. before anyone tries to suggest that.
>>
>>7291028
adhd is normie tier bud
>>
File: 1724642179623906.webm (1.32 MB, 640x480)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB WEBM
>>7291027
>gonna keep drawing because it's fun
based!
>>
>>7291030
You do you buddy. Part of the reason I got so upset with you is because I used to make the same excuses and I just want to see you succeed. Please continue to post your practice and post your portfolio pieces when that time comes. Best of luck.
>>
>>7290809
Hmm, file size is big and says I need the app. Is that like a launchable WIndows mega app or a *phone* app?
>>
>>7290218 >>7290295
The fluff and the bigger eyes are on purpose (aside for the eye malformations I noticed after scanning the drawing).
One of my problems is that when there isn't a clear separation between light and shadow, I think I default to what looks like pillow shading.

>>7290345
I am not truly interested in charcoal because I wanted to draw in a more sketchy way, even if evenually I would like to learn to draw in an at least semi-relistic way. For both I just don't know how, because I am a bit inexperienced.

>>7290345 >>7290265
I completely forgot the whiskers hahahaha, but I already thought to get one of those pencil erasers. I hope the tip is enough sturdy to be workable with.

>>7290227
I feel I am a bit stagnant, but thank you.

Thank you everyone for the answers and suggestions.
>>
>>7291035
yeah fair enough. honestly youre probably partially right, i am probably not cut out for this. but i want to at least try to make something of myself. im currently in a one year program just for fundies, so if i flunk out of that ill have my answer, i guess.
>>
>>7290843
What exactly do you want from me, anon? I can't hold your hand and draw it for you. I'd redline for the hair but it's really small and looks fine. There's no need to bitch at me. Be grateful for a (You). I was just trying to help.
>>
>>7291038
I can't speak on what you're cut out for. And quite frankly, I'm a firm believer in choosing your destiny. All I can say is you get what you give.
>>
>>7291036
weird, never had that with mega before, usually just says it can't scan for viruses at a high filesize
idk where else I can upload it. does look like there's a regular windows app for it though

https://mega.io/desktop
>>
>>7290951
bucket tool or layers + blocking it in manually for flat colors first. Since it's comic, you can also find some halftone brush if you want for retro feeling
>>7291012
check out /r/nonzerodays on Reddit, read the wiki post. It helped me, maybe it will help you. But there's no solution, motivation has to come from inside yourself. Because, bruh, you're gonna die when you get a job or you want to make that project, you are gonna have to find something that keeps you going or you are gonna crash and burn hard.
>>7291027
holy shit, that resolution for your UI is so tiny! hahah,what's your desktop set to?
>>7291046
yuhh, thanks for the reply. Sadly I have forgotten my password so I think I have to go make a throwaway email and then get the app I guess
>>
>>7289805
>>7289788
pyw
>>
>>7289092
I feel like my head construction could be better but overall I'm fine with my current ability, my problem is that I can't draw a reference's facial features accurately at all. I genuinely tried to grid things out using as much lines as possible but its still off.At this point I'm just lying to myself that i made the drawing too small for me to really bang out the details. Help me stop coping
>>
>>7291051
>pyw
no, because it has nothing to do with what was said
>>
>>7291054
If you want to draw realistic portraits of real people, start blocking in value for your construction and go from there. Check out Stephen Bauman. Forget all this fucking Loomis shit. It's a standard and people as a whole don't fit/meet a standard and it's really only helpful if you want to draw custom fictional characters.
>>
>>7291059
>Stephen Bauman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJJJU35KE0
The reason I used loomis was because this video above used the method to make a realistic potrait , I understand its just a standard so I did try to measure and just use the loomis head as a guide mainly for the head angle
>>
>>7291065
Problem with your piece is that you didn’t get the head angle right. Try to make more simplified sketches to make sure the angle is correct before going into the details because that angle is everything g
>>
>>7289829
You mogged the fuck out of that other dude. This is why pyw exist honestly idk why the other person was arguing with you about learning proportion first. I did gesture than proportion and my gestures became better and I (usually... okay not usually but occasionally) make sure I have enough space to draw the full figure on the page easier. Either way the person would have to learn both.
>>
>>7289092
I was told to stop trying to draw anime and to draw from life instead. What does that even mean? How do you even start learning how to draw real people/things? I don't know where to start.
>>
File: file.png (62 KB, 515x497)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>7291086
what kind of oversized sword would fit this design?
>>
Am I autistic if I'm having so much fun reading books and copying the diagrams in them that I'd rather do that than try to make my own bad shitty stuff?

I feel like I see every /beg/ try to make their own things without any studying, but I personally feel bad doing that because I know it could be better.
>>
>>7291086
pick up a book or find a video course on the basics of observational drawing. keys to drawing is a good one, Brent Eviston is good, so I hear; there are others as well. from there just draw what's in front of you, sit with a mirror around the front of you and draw that, draw a friend or family member if possible, draw from reference. draw with intention, with a critical eye, but draw. try pushing yourself ever further.
>>
>>7291089
I think the one you have now is fine.
>>7291094
Thanks for suggestion. I'll check it out.
>>
>>7291092
>try to make their own things without any studying

Go ahead, make something without studying and if anything you can make it again in the future when you have done the studies. In fact it's really fun to redo your old work and it's great to see how you have progressed.

Don't be afraid to mess up, you'll survive. You haven't really learned anything until you put it into practice.
>>
>>7291102
I mean I try things and mess up, like trying to do timed gesture and figure drawing or copying a figure. I just don't try to make full illustrations like this >>7290455 as an example because I feel like I could use that time drawing this, coloring it, etc. on learning more about a subject.
>>
>>7290602
Thanks!! I don't usually do this kind of lighting so it felt hard to make her colors go so dark. Maybe with a few more attempts I'll get more comfortable with this.

>>7290546
I feel you are completely right with all your observations, however I was simply too unskilled at the moment. The bg was hard, the lighting was hard, the color selection was hard. I was simply a bit out of my depth.

I have several artists I look up to. I usually make a pureRef file with art I like regarding a theme or character to look at when I make a piece. I like u_u_zan and kyusoukyu a lot.

Also since the pov was from below and she was fully clothed I found it hard to draw her breasts looser and more boob-shaped

>>7290443
Hmm I don't really understand what you mean. You think the edges of the moon make the character harder to understand?

>>7290716
I made a mannequin with no features at one point to check the body and the position of the eyes was different there, but I went with this anyways because it looked cuter imo hah

Thanks a lot for your inputs. It's useful to see what things I have to improve next. I feel there's still a lot to improve but also feel I'm getting closer to where I want to be.
>>
>>7291104
Yeah, I'm saying take the time to make a full illustration. It will be fun to remake that illustration in the future with all that you've learned. Also you're gonna have to eventually develop design skills or remember why you're learning all of this in the first place. You can get real study-brained studying too much.
>>
>>7290439
very nice drawing and very cute face, i would suggest working on perspective, and improving in perspective leads to better lighting because of better understanding of forms. still a great drawing. good luck anon!
>>
>>7289092
What sticky should I follow?
>>
>>7291127
New collaborative. I personally think it's much better, but you might get overwhelmed with the amount of topics/resources mentioned.
>>
>>7291133
Yeah, there is so much I don't know where to start
>>
>>7290841
Yeah man I see what you mean. There should definitely be more of a twist going on with her hips.

I think what happened is,
>followed ref
>changed aspect of ref
>didn't bother to think how this would effect the rest of the body
Something for me to keep in mind for next time.
>>
File: IMG_8480.jpg (1.61 MB, 2068x3668)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
does this look like a cute flirty outfit? i’m worried it makes him look like he has breasts, but because the outfit is meant for women idk how to not have it look like that
>>
File: sopranos-livia.png (29 KB, 180x184)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>7291156
>>
>>7291156
Allowing pre/beg/s to draw lewds was a mistake
>>
>>7291159
>>7291163
i’m sorry i will be lolling myself shortly to absolve myself of the shame
>>
>>7291156
use the nipples to portray depth by having them on a different plane then the bottom of the lingirie -cutout, or us a line/draw a shadow for the bottom of the peck
>>
>>7291187
good advice, ty! i was considering the line but i was worried it would look too much like tit chop scars, and he’s not a tranny
>>
Everyone's ready to throw criticism.
Few able to post their work or give advice.
>>
>>7291201
I mean nigga damn what do you me to do
>>
>>7291201
I mean nigga damn what do you me to do
>>
File: file.png (181 KB, 566x821)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
how do i draw hair with a hard round brush? seems impossiblu
>>7291156
hard to say what the outfit even is
>>
>>7291201
criticism is advice you fucking brainlet
>>
>>7291297
Not if isn't constructive
>>
>>7291304
it still is you just have to not be a faggot and accept advice even if it's mean
>>
>>7291027
nigga fell for the box...
>>
In the end, I'm just a pin-up gibbon type of guy....
>>
File: Gibbon.png (1.44 MB, 1347x1213)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>7291372
OoooOoOoOo
>>
File: plums.jpg (310 KB, 2915x1471)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>
File: 1718212382433415.png (1.35 MB, 1975x1607)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
fig
>>
File: image.png (693 KB, 1744x1617)
693 KB
693 KB PNG
>>
File: TheMinion.png (799 KB, 1658x1761)
799 KB
799 KB PNG
>>
Migrate whenever
>>7291641
>>7291641
>>7291641
>>7291641
>>7291641
>>7291641
>>
>>7291642
Your a retard
>>
File: 1722724891921714.jpg (355 KB, 1280x720)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>7292076
>Your

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.