[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Arabic calligraphy edition

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make friends!

Read the wiki:
https://4chanint.miraheze.org/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Useful links:
>Free language-learning book archive:
https://mega.nz/folder/INlRkAQC#CthKI9-_kmDNyrOx12Ojbw
>Books on linguistics and language courses:
https://mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ
>Assorted language resources and some nice visual guides:
https://pastebin.com/ACEmVqua
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
https://archive(dot)ph/x0dFH
>List of trackers for most language-learning packs:
https://files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt
>Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
https://archive(dot)is/R2feT
>Russianon’s list of comprehensible input resources:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec
>Massive collection of textbooks on various languages, sorted by family
https://theswissbay.ch/pdf/Books/Linguistics/
>/lang/ inpoot torrents
https://rentry.org/inpoot

Old thread:
>>201576822
Previous challenge:
>>201623022
>>
لغة خرائية بكل معنى الكلمة
>>
Just got my results from my SIELE exam I did two weeks ago, I passed with a high B2 grade overall, C1 in the two passive categories even. Fuck I am so happy. Next up: DELE C2
>>
Я тaк cчacтлив
>>
bump
>>
> The r letter in French was historically pronounced as a trill, as was the case in Latin and as is still the case in Italian and Spanish.
> Molière's Le Bourgeois gentilhomme, published in 1670, has a professor describe the sound of /r/ as an alveolar trill
life could be dream
>>
>>201688342
i role my R's in french and also pronounce most letters
>>
>>201688369
I doubt people will understand you if you go around prononucing -eau as it's written
>>
>>201688638
>eau
its pronounced as it is written tho
>>
>>201688655
/eau/ vs /o/
>>
>>201688638
French has dumb spelling and phonology but the spelling is consistent the sense that the same stupid letter combinations correspond to the same sounds. If you have internalized the ~40 spelling rules then it's ok. English is way worse for having at times just random spelling.
>>
>>201688756
I do /eau/ not /o/
>>
>>201688782
I agree, my point is that you have to learn the letter combinations instead of pronouncing most of them randomly
>>201688827
so you pronounce 3 vowels instead of 1?
>>
>>201683659
Any good resources on learning Italian? I was born to an Italian father and live in a very Italian part of Sydney and I want to learn the language.
>>
>>201688965
Check the OP links. Unironically you can start with a week of luodingo, then switch to Anki and textbooks. I'm not sure what kind of inpoot resources are available for Italian but I'm sure another anon will tell you.
>>
Any Russo-Chinese learners here, I need some inspiration. It takes forever to master these languages
>>201688878
like uuuwe
>>201688965
check /int/wiki, as a beginner it doesnt matter what source you use really. Just buy some textbook, study grammar, and download an italian anki deck + make your own cards
>>
>>201688965
albo?
>>
Good morning Sunday morning
>>
>>201691090
good night im going to sleep
>>
File: file.jpg (55 KB, 883x960)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>201690578
>like uuuwe
>>
I've never seen this before. Is it a Boomer phrasal verb?
>>
>>201692449
its from "suspect" and mostly used by cops ig
>>
Currently using to Moon+ Reader to extensively read. I put it on "speed read" mode, start the day off slow and increase the speed every 1000 words.
>>
Hoping Isis takes over the US so I can learn Arabic
>>
>>201692449
I use this phrase pretty often
>>
>>201694370
what method do we call this /lang/sisters?
>>
>>201694392
forced immersion
>>
>>201694438
Immersion is overrated. Koreans who have lived in the United States for several years speak English worse than I do.
4chan is underrated
>>
>>201694530
Immersion is the most powerful way to learn a language. Most people suck at it though because they think that immersion is the end all be all, you still need secondary tools like grammar textbooks.
>>
1o
>>
Counting chapters read a day in your TL kinda sucks since some chapters are twice as long as others but I'm too lazy to count by pages
>>
>>201688965
Look up Italian by the nature method on youtube
>>
>learn the word trancher
>remember tranche from the Big Short/2008 financial crisis

French really is all over english. This happens all the time to me.
>>
>>201697196
French??? In the English language????
>>
>>201697196
I've also had similar moments with French and Greek. I know a lot of fashion terminology comes from them but it also shows in random words like combine
>>
>>201697364
Canadians??? Being insufferable faggots???
>>
Which language can I learn to land me a job? Mandarin? I have ample time
>>
>>201697786
Javascript
>>
>>201697786
you DO NOT want the type of job knowing Mandarin would land you
>>
>>201697837
Overrate language as fuck
Grammar of javascript is totally hell
>>
>>201697786
any and none
>>
>>201697837
you DO NOT want the type of job knowing Javascript would land you
>>
>>201697786
You're delusional for thinking knowing a language lands you a job. It's all AI now, try another career.
>>
>>201698248
Why wouldn't you want a comfy webdev job where you do 2h of work per day?
>>
>>201698817
It's iver
>>
>>201698817
Maybe because he doesn't have 10 years of work experience with over 20 tools to get an entry level job
>>
>>201698101
Teaching English for minimum wage?
>>
-Plattdutsch
>Could move to Hamburg or another nieder state if my career ever kicks off
>Aesthetic and larp
(Care mostly about output)
>no one to practice tho
-Dutch
>Ongezellig
>Drill rap
>Cooking Videos
(Don't care about output)
-Mongolian
>Travel if I ever have the money

Which one bros. I already know german
>>
>>201688342
trilled r's are ugly. good riddance
>>
>>201699586
I prefer tapped r's but they're both better than the gutteral ones
doesn't even sound like an r most of the times
>>
>>201699557
all of them
>>
>learn mandarin reading of a character
>forget the onyomi of it
>relearn the onyomi
>forget the mandarin reading
>>
>>201699557
>Aesthetic and larp
Dörgahns dat. Nüms spreckt würkelk Nederdüütsk, hannig elk, de daar leevt, kennt de Standardspraak. Et maakt aver Spaaß
>>
>>201700415
>start absorbing mandarin readings on accident without any real understanding of tones
>漢文 vocalization becomes a mess

>如是我聞
nyo sher wo bun

don't even gaf
>>
>>201700415

Can't you simply write everything in hiragana and katakana? I mean... The hanzi meaning is usually similar to the onyomi
>>
>>201700214
>>201700490
Yeah I think Platt is all old people. I will watch more PENNYMARKT to understand what those hamburg old heads are saying tho. Dutch it is but I must keep it as fun as possible
>>
>>201700584
When I read Classical Chinese I use a mix of unstandardized Japanese, Mandarin and English. English is used for patchwork and to run through literal meanings when I'm not sure what is being said. Japanese and Mandarin are constantly competing with eachother in my head and I randomly change between them. Best part is that I know for a fact that there are people out there who have it even worse than me.
>>201700585
What do you mean? Are you asking if I can write Mandarin in Japanese? It is possible but very impractical.
>>
>>201694370
Isis? Are we in 2015?
>>
>>201701453
>When I read Classical Chinese I use a mix of unstandardized Japanese, Mandarin and English. English is used for patchwork and to run through literal meanings when I'm not sure what is being said. Japanese and Mandarin are constantly competing with eachother in my head and I randomly change between them. Best part is that I know for a fact that there are people out there who have it even worse than me.
As I. The only time I make an effort to use one specific reading is with poetry.
>>
>>201697786
Language learning doesn't get you jobs; it's not the 80's or 90s anymore. Too many nations are too well developed. If they need highly skilled people they'll get a native from their own population. For non-skilled work they'll give the job to immigrants who can barely speak the language because they will work for lower wages than you. If businesses REALLY need someone to speak multiple languages, they will pay to train one of their existing employees that they know to be reliable and good at their job, rather than hiring a random guy off the street. If they need a native tier speaker, they'll import one from the target country.
>>
>>201683659
It is incredible the number of cute foreign girls on Youtube making several vlogs a month in their native languages just to get like 40 views on each video.
>>
>>201699557
ongezellig has been cancelled
>>
File: 1645490119660.jpg (810 KB, 2048x1876)
810 KB
810 KB JPG
>>201623022
Mudah
>Aku sedang memesan sepatu
>Kamu benar-benar harus potong rambut
>>
>>201702999
are you going back to indonesian
>>
Challenge - History of English edish

>Easy
The local population eventually gave up their own language.
They began to speak English.
French influence is most obviously marked in the spelling.

>Mid
Norse influenced English in many different ways in vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and everyday expressions.
During the transition period, many people would know at least two languages.
One can almost describe a text like this as written in French but using English words.

>Difficult
If York had defeated Wessex, it is quite possible that Anglo-Saxon would have died out.
By the time Caxton died in 1491, he had already established a number of precedents for publishing in English.
English, it was argued, was a barbarous language, unfit for Scripture or the great works of antiquity; to write in English is to cast pearls before swine.

>Ultra-Violence: try to translate the quote in an archaic form of your TL
The new fashion for taking words wholesale from Latin and using them in English texts is usually associated with Sir Thomas Elyot, who borrowed words 'of the latin tonge for the insufficiencie of our owne langage'.
>>
Any Poles know the name of this book mentioned? Apparently read in school.
>>201701483
>>201702811
>>
Is Kurt Caz good at Spanish?
>>
>>201703358
Enfin, la population locale a abandonné leur langue.
Ils ont commencé parler anglais.
L'influence française est tellement marqué en l'orthographe.
>>
Which one is better, creating flashcards on Anki with only one word or with entire sentences?
>>
>>201704228
I feel best is one word, but shown as part of a sentence.
>>
Is it possible to learn language with OmeTV?
>>
>>201706137

Why not? But sadly most people uses that for flirting so men will ignore you because you have penis and women because you are another annoying retard.
>>
>–Pourquoi devrais-je vous faire confiance, Chevalier?

Shouldn't it be "...avoir confiance..."? Or do French people really say "make trust" instead of "have trust"?
>>
the extra series remind me of the nickelodeon sitcoms I watched as a kid
>>
>>201706548
>Or do French people really say "make trust" instead of "have trust"?
Yes.
>>
>Want to start a 3rd foreign language
>only one that meets my criteria is German
>Don't like German
fucks sake
>>
Anyone care to pill me on Korean? I have 4 years of high school Japanese behind me (that should help with grammar) but I becames disillusioned because I don't give a fuck about the culture and how it's socially anathema to be direct and opinionated. Korean popular media really turns me off but I have a close Korean friend and he is very based so maybe there it's worth learning it to talk to people
>>
>>201708736
Learn Classical Chinese instead. It's the Latin of East Asia
>>
>>201708617
What are your criteria?
>>
>>201708736
I just started Korean myself and would love to hear tips from other anons. I feel like I need more help on learning the rules and pronunciation on syllables with they are put together or in words. There is a sizeable jump in difficulty going from Hangul to Syllables, and of course the pronunciation is doable but I want to understand why certain syllables sound the way they do, or am I overthinking it and should I just lean into listening and emulating as much as possible? This is my first east asian language that I've studied.
>>
>>201709431
If you've just started, don't worry about pronunciation, you'll get it later with lots of audio input. I myself am beginning Arabic and it's pronunciation is much more arse to anything I've heard so far, but I'm sure I'll get used to it just like I'm used to all the little dumb vowels in English. Unfortunately you can't learn everything in a day.
>>
>>201709431
What in particular is tripping you up about pronunciation in syllables? The two major ones I can think of are consonant assimilation and r/n reduction. You can learn about them by searching 자음동화 and 두음법칙 but I would say not to focus too much on them in the beginning. Just be aware of them, especially the first and pick up the pronunciation by listening to how people speak.
>>
>>201683659
Arabic is the most pointless language in human existence, even the quran is a dogshit religion
>>
>>201708736
If you're a bookish type, I agree with >>201708970. Classical Chinese is the most rewarding East Asian language for reading.
More important question: why an East-Asian language? Nobody is as cold and conformist as the Japanese, but the things you dislike about that society (I dislike them too, and I am ethnically Japanese) will be present all across East Asia. Don't fall into sunk cost fallacy. Your four years of high school Japanese are no more binding on you and your future than your four years of high school art and gym. If Japanese has renewed your love for the West, why not go for a Western language instead?
>>
>>201712090
>quran
>religion
>>
>>201712288
Never mind, lucky 88 confirms classical chinese supremacy. Everyone switch to 文言文 right now. Readings from 韓愈 begin tomorrow.
>>
How different is Classical Chinese from modern day Mandarin?
>>
>>201712466
Here is a concrete example I once posted on /clg/. It seemed revelatory for some there.
https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=62230
Based on this alone, it's clear that Classical Chinese is at least as different from Mandarin as Latin is from the Romance Languages. Two factors obscure this difference: the writing system and the frequency of classical chinese quotations. Thanks to the writing system, it's difficult to discern the vast phonetic changes that took place over the three thousand years in which Classical Chinese was used. Confucius, Li Bai, and Liang Qichao would have understood each other's writing, but wouldn't even be able to say hello to each other. Likewise, chengyu and especially formal writing in Mandarin tend to be varying degrees of classicizing. This does not imply any more similarity than writing "etc." in a Romance language or saying "δόξα τω θεώ" in Modern Greek.
>>
>>201706484
They don't have tags? Fuck man that was what made Omegle good
>>
>>201712797
interesting, thanks
>>
File: Red-Comet.png (2.86 MB, 1994x1362)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB PNG
Been watching Gundam Origins with French subs, and I always find it funny how they say Sieg Zeon. I guess it could be like victory for Zeon but feel like the parallel to Nazi Germany would be Zeon Heil. Also, Amuro's girlfriend just being named Frau is amusing.
>>
File: 1657542039904.png (73 KB, 427x400)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>201701572
Isis still exist chud they did the recent terror attack in Germany there's talk of a new wave
>>
>>201710326
thanks for the input, I intend for this to be a process of many years, so I'm probably just overthinking things.
>>201711887
>You can learn about them by searching 자음동화 and 두음법칙
I will look this up thanks. I think you are referring to exactly what I was thinking of. ㅈ/ㅊ/ㅅ/ㅆ/ㄷ/ㅌ/ㅎ becoming ㄴ before ㅁ/ㄴ (taken straight from letslearnhangul).
>>
as a native english speaker, how can I learn to differentiate /θ/ and /ð/? I'm trying to learn Greek and while I conceptionally understand the difference, I'm really struggling to not pronounce θ as δ and vice versa
>>
>>201714749
Say similar words repeatedly to get used to the difference
>breath
>breathe

>mouth
>to mouth

say other voiced/voiceless consonant parts like v and f then say the dental fricative after it
>>
>>201714703
>ㅈ/ㅊ/ㅅ/ㅆ/ㄷ/ㅌ/ㅎ becoming ㄴ before ㅁ/ㄴ (taken straight from letslearnhangul).
right so all Korean consonants will only have one of 8 realisations in the final position(ㄱㄴㄷㄹㅁㅂㅅㅇ), those ones you mentioned are all functionally ㄷ there. This gets softened to ㄴ when it's followed by a sonorant, so ㅁ/ㄴ like you mentioned but also ㄹ. And of course similarly you'd get ㅂㅍㅃ->ㅁ and ㄱㅋㄲ->ㅇ
>>
>>201712288
I already speak (I'd say) pretty good italian and French. I like the langauge acquisition process and feel like I wanted to learn something linguistically more removed than what I'm currently familiar w. I agree with you, though, I know I would like Chinese because of the poetic tradition and the global relevance (not that that's everything, but I don't want to feel like I spent thousands of hours learning an obscure language). I think my brain is fucked because I keep searching for different possibilities of language projects when I know well that I would probably enjoy Chinese or Hungarian or something
>>
File: 1664320740362592.png (315 KB, 464x487)
315 KB
315 KB PNG
>>201703358
Die bodenständige Bevölkerung gab die eigene Sprache am Ende auf.
Sie begannen Englisch zu sprechen
Der Einfluss von Französisch macht sich am sichtbarsten bei der Rechtschreibung.

Altnordisch hat auf Englisch in mehrfacher Hinsicht Einfluss genommen einschließlich des Wortschatzes, der Grammatik, der Aussprache und der alltäglichen Redewendungen.
Während der Übergangsperiode, war es alles andere als ungewöhnlich, dass man zumindest zwei Sprache zur Verfügung hatte.
Man kann fast einen solchen Text so beschreiben als zwar auf Französisch geschrieben aber aus englischen Wörtern zusammengesetzt.

Wenn York Wessex besiegt hätte, halte ich es für möglich, dass Altenglisch hätte aussterben können.
Bei seinem Tod im Jahr 1491, hatte Caxton schon viele Fakten geschafft, was die Veröffentlichung von englischen Werken angeht.
Damals war die Rede davon, dass English eine echt barbarische Sprache und noch dazu ungeeignet für die Überlieferung von sowohl den Heiligen Schriften als auch den großen Werken der Antiquität war. Auf Englisch zu verfassen läuft darauf hinaus, dass man Perlen vor die Säue wirft.
>>
>>201704070
seems like it. Wonder how much studying he did or if was principally immersion
>>
>>201715424
You sound like you're taking a path not unlike my own. I recommend Classical Chinese and Old Provencal then.
>>
>>201715294
thanks for this, going to screenshot for later reference.
>>
>>201716325
neat recs. I have some Catalan (and Spanish ofc) under my belt as well and have a book on Old Occitan because I was interested in the troubadours at one point so I may dip back into that. I have also considered German for the literary tradition but it's less intrinsically interesting to me
>>
>>201712288
>(I dislike them too, and I am ethnically Japanese)
Interesting。
>>
>>201684411
¡Enhorabuena!
>>
>>
File: 1462378143329.jpg (214 KB, 345x336)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
Wait, people ACTUALLY do TL -> NL anki cards? Are you all retarded? No wonder you "know" so many words but have a shit active vocabulary. If you can produce a word, you can recognize it.
>>
how do you say:

how dare you in your tl
>>
>>201717929
Not that interesting, nor unique. As you can tell from my flag, I've got a whole different context.
>>
>>201717721
No problem. Just two things I wanted to update. I made a mistake when I said there were eight, it's actually just 7 final pronunciations. ㅅ is pronounced like ㄷ finally and is the common way of representing final ㄷ (internet is 인터넷 and not 인터넫 for example)
I also forgot to mention that when this softening gets triggered by ㄹ, ㄹ also typically gets shifted to ㄴ at the same time. So something like 16 (십륙*) would be pronounced [심뉵] .
Whenever you're in doubt it's best just to consult a dictionary, any good one would have the actual pronunciation in brackets
>>
>>201718832
duly noted, any dictionary recommendations?
>>
>>201718966
Nowadays I mainly use this one: https://krdict.korean.go.kr/eng/mainAction
>>
File: 1724693874813806.jpg (81 KB, 1080x921)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
bump
>>
Should I learn Brazilian just to understand all the crazy and funny webms? I know some Spanish already
>>
Challenge: do a bunch of math problems purely in your TL. Do not switch back to NL. If you catch yourself reading a numeral in your NL, start over.
>>
>这花茶在哪儿买的?真好喝!
why is no measure word used after 这 here?
>>
>>201722506
its not mandatory.
>>
>爸爸的生日快到了,我想送他一条裤子,你看这条怎么样?
>颜色不错,但是我觉得大了一点儿。
is 了 used here because the 裤子 no longer fit 爸爸 because he lost weight or something? i thought this type of 了 when at the end of sentences.
>>201723007
好的
>>
>>201723128
> i thought this type of 了 when at the end of sentences.
i thought this type of 了 was put at the end of sentences
>>
>>201723128
it has nothing to do with pants, its used because his birthday is near, without it it would be unnatural, as to why grammatically, i guess you can say its change of state. But mostly because it sounds unnatural without it.
>>
File: Averi wowow.png (652 KB, 2480x2480)
652 KB
652 KB PNG
Atuq warmikunaqa ancha sumaqmi. Chayqa chiqanmi. Averiqa aswan allin atuq sipasmi kay pachapi. Ñukñu chukchanmi. SIKSU! Averiwan siksu!
>>
>>201723588
>>
>>201723650
If I learn Aymara I'll translate this or make a similar sentence.
>>201723675
I didn't mean to reply to anyone, that's why I posted it again with more words.
>>
>https://voca.ro/14eCRVzTWU8C
according to the transcript:
>我刚买的鲜奶你放到哪儿了?我现在想喝。
am i crazy or is there no 到 after 放 and there is instead something like ne
>>
i keep confusing 上 and 下 when i hear them
>>
All my Tandem convos keep dying. Doesn't matter if I try to make a light-hearted/friendly/fun dialogue or focus on actual language exchange or anything in between, communication is so flaky there.

>inb4 i'm autistic
I am but I have no problem connecting with people in general
>>
>>201723128
no it's because it indicates a comparison with the desired size. like when you are 倒水 and saying 多了,多了
>>201723911
it's a kind of lazy sound. not formal. you dont need to care too much about it
>>
Do you think he knows English yet?
>>
There is so much untranslated, amazing content.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGWQttNkEKE&pp=ygUtdG9tYSBtaXMgbWFub3MgdGUgcGlkbyB0b21hIG1pcyBsYWJpb3MgdGUgYW1v
I found this gem at Spanish Catholic Mass. There are so many hymns on YouTube that could easily be subtitled in English; someone could make a channel about it.
>>
Is it just me or is the i in the Chinese zi, ci, zhi, chi, xi, shi a Romanian î? That's how I hear it as, anyway.
>>
>>201728263
I hear that vowel as a /ɨ/ too, especially in the falling tone
>>
File: morty.ononoki.png (20 KB, 238x300)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Okay how do you actually pronounce this? It's described as a consonant but every time I hear it it's like a tense vowel
>>
>>201703358
>Einfach
Die ansässige Bevölkerung gab irgendwann ihre eigene Sprache auf.
Sie begannen, Englisch zu sprechen.
Französische Einwirkung ist am offensichtlichsten in der Rechtschreibung.

>Mittel
Altnordisch hat auf Englisch in vielerlei Hinsicht beim Wortschatz, Sprachbau, Aussprache und Alltagsausdrücken eingewirkt.
Während der Übergangszeit konnten viele Menschen wenigstens zwei Sprachen.
Man kann ein solches Schriftstück fast als in Französisch geschrieben, aber englische Wörter benutzend, beschreiben.

>Easy
The folk living there at last gave up their own speech.
They began speaking English.
French sway is most easily seen in the spelling.

>Mid
Norse swayed English in sundry ways in word stock, speech shaping, bringing forth spoken words and everyday phrases*/sayings.
Throughout the shift period*/stretch, many folk would know at least two tongues.
One can almost talk of a piece of writing like this as written in French but wielding English words.
>*not Germanic but ultimately from Ancient Greek

cba to do the harder ones. much easier in German; "Einwirkung" instead of "influence" and "Sprachbau" instead of "Grammatik" are the only weird alternatives I think.
doing the German first didn't help as much as I expected. English still (no longer) has a lot of the Germanic alternatives and I didn't want to just calque, which would probably yield understandable but unusual English words. "grammar" and "pronunciation" were the hardest to rephrase.
some words that are ultimately from Latin or French have changed so much that I'd consider them native English or German words usually, but for the sake of the challenge I've excluded them too.
might have missed a word here or there, or if you have any better suggestions do tell.
>>
>>201729010
It's like /x/ but voiced... I don't understand what's so hard about it?
>>
>>201730994
No it's not. Greek γ is miles away from Arabic ع.
>>
>>201730994
x is not pharyngeal
>>
>>201730994
lol
>>
File: anon-7282418.jpg (389 KB, 811x801)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
>7:24 am
>already finished anki cards for the day
>>
Is there something like InnerFrench podcast but for german?
>>
>>201715719
Die bodenständige Bevölkerung gab die eigene Sprache am Ende auf.
>bodenständig ~ traditional; conservative; simple; unpretentious; humble; down-to-earth; down-home [US]
Das wird eigentlich fast immer im übertragenen Sinne verwendet. Im Wörterbuch steht als Synonym auch "heimisch", also müsste es als "lokal" zu übersetzen sein. Allerdings würde ich es nicht so wörtlich verstehen, und denken, eine "bodenständige Bevölkerung ~ traditional people" würde gerade eben nicht ihre Sprache aufgeben.
Wenn du nicht "lokal" sagen willst, benutz "ansässig".
>French influence is most obviously marked in the spelling.
>Der Einfluss von Französisch macht sich am sichtbarsten bei der Rechtschreibung.
Idiomatisch ist nur "sich bemerkbar/deutlich machen". "sich sichtbar machen" tun normalerweise nur Tarnkappenbomber oder Zauberer; andernfalls besser einfach "ist sichtbar; ist offensichtlich".
"is most visibly marked; is most visible" wäre allerdings ein Einschränkung auf den visuellen Sinn, was unnötig ist und implizieren könnte, dass die Rechtschreibung nur mit anderen visuellen Aspekten wie der Zeichensetzung verglichen wird. Wenn dann müsste man diese nennen, aber besser anders formulieren.
>>
>>201733003
>>201715719
>Altnordisch hat auf Englisch in mehrfacher Hinsicht Einfluss genommen, einschließlich des Wortschatzes, der Grammatik, der Aussprache und der alltäglichen Redewendungen.
Wie bei "... influenced it including a, b and c" sollte vor "including" + Aufzählung ein Komma hin. Sonst könnte man es in manchen Sätzen falsch verstehen (hier nicht denke ich).
>Während der Übergangsperiode war es alles andere als ungewöhnlich, dass man zumindest zwei *Sprachen zur Verfügung hatte.
Kein Adverbialkomma am Satzanfang wie in Englisch.
>Man kann fast einen solchen Text so beschreiben als zwar auf Französisch geschrieben aber aus englischen Wörtern zusammengesetzt.
Ok, aber seltsame Syntax. Etwas schöner:
>Man kann einen solchen Text fast [beschreiben] als zwar auf Französisch geschrieben, aber aus englischen Wörtern zusammengesetzt [, beschreiben].

>Bei seinem Tod im Jahr 1491 hatte Caxton schon viele Fakten geschafft, was die Veröffentlichung von englischen Werken angeht.
Wieder kein Komma.
"publishing in (the) English (language) != publishing of English works". Ist zwar meist das Gleiche, aber es kann auch englische Werke in anderen Sprachen als Englisch geben. Besser "Veröffentlichung von englischsprachigen Werken" oder wörtlicher "Veröffentlichung (von Werken) auf Englisch".
>Damals war die Rede davon, dass English eine echt barbarische Sprache und noch dazu ungeeignet für die Überlieferung von sowohl den Heiligen Schriften als auch den großen Werken der *Antike *sei/wäre. Auf Englisch zu verfassen läuft darauf hinaus, dass man Perlen vor die Säue wirft.

Gut gut.
>>
Has anyone here learnt very closely related languages like Spanish to Italian?
What is the ideal strategy for a native speaker? Do you think it changes much for a non-native speaker?
>>
>>201732199
Slow German
>>
File: 1696154447869484.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>201733003
>>201733089
vielen Dank

>bodenständig
Mir war davon bewusst, dass das so etwas wie down to earth bedeutet, aber ich hatte auch das eher ausgefallene englische Wort autochthonous im Kopf, beziehungsweise mit das Wort bodenständig verknüpft, was meine Wortwahl da erklärt. Ich versuchte da ein wenig gehobener zu schreiben, indem ich das Wort ausgewählt habe. Würde heimisch auch dazu passen? Hab mich beinahe dafür anstatt bodenständig entschieden. Mir ist auch jetzt gerade das Wort Urbevölkerung eingefallen. Wie wäre das?

>Tarnkappenbomber
>Zeichensetzung
>die Aufzählung

Ein paar neue Wörter für mich. Bisschen verrückt, dass ich während Jahre von Deutschlernen bis heute noch nie auf das Wort Zeichensetzung gestoßen bin. Mir war das Verb aufzählen bekannt, aber aus irgendeinem Grund habe ich die Nominalisierung davon nicht sofort erkannt, also ich habe drei nagelneue Karteikarten gemacht.

Nochmals danke für die immer hilfreiche Rückmeldung.
>>
Hey, I wanted to prioritize learning classical Arabic to study all the classics from history to religious books, etc. and become a smartass who can outquote Islamic clerics in these things
But I realized beyond that, it's just a waste of time. Who cares about some stupid made up stories of Arab caliphs or their drama?
What's the most important and relevant world language? English. I already speak it.
Instead of putting effort into old, obsolete classical Arabic, it would matter more if I put that work into a more worthy language, that if learned, might actually have some content that could improve me as a person. Become more enlightened, less bigoted, more open, modern, and worth his weight.
So, which language fits the bill? German? French? Russian?
>>
>>201736446
Snort up some crushed Ritalin pills and the answer will surely come to you.
>>
>>201736446
How many times are you gonna tell the same joke?
>>
>>201736446
Chinese
>>
>>201736446
Learn Shanghainese
>>
File: 1724327832816341.jpg (52 KB, 750x675)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
what is the earliest attested Jordie post? I've been here since around 2021 and feel like he predates that.
>>
>>201737153
He's a primordial god that is older than the universe. In fact, he only created Time to spend it learning languages.
>>
>>201736782
>>201736930
This. Learn Classical Chinese first so that you can read poems.

孤雁

孤雁不饮啄
飞鸣声念群
谁联一片影
相失万重云
望尽似犹见
哀多如更闻
野鸭无意绪
鸣噪亦纷纷

The Solitary Goose

The solitary goose does not drink or eat,
It flies about and calls, missing the flock.
No-one now remembers this one shadow,
They've lost each other in the myriad layers of cloud.
It looks into the distance: seems to see,
It's so distressed, it thinks that it can hear.
Unconsciously, the wild ducks start to call,
Cries of birds are everywhere confused.
>>
>>201726053
>it's a kind of lazy sound. not formal. you dont need to care too much about it
but what is he saying then? is it really 到?
>>
when you think of a color name's in your nl and your tl's do you picture the same shade in your head? i was just thinking of red, rouge, rojo and 红 and realizing they brought different shades of red to my mind
>>
>>201739002
>do you picture the same shade in your head
no, the same thing happens with me, they are slightly different shades

orange, pink, and green are lighter, red and blue are darker
>>
Any advice on how to learn the rolled r?
>>
File: 1716827224535890.jpg (216 KB, 720x1080)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>201737544
Jordie ist der Urgott, der die unserer Wirklichkeit zugrundeliegende erste Ursache ist.
>>
>>201739002
I would say that they are similar enough but almost all of them differ
The only ones that coincide with each other are pink and purple, probably because the word for pink in my NL and TL is the same and purple is, to me, a very narrow range of shades to begin with
>>
>>201740158
imitate a purring cat
now you can roll your r's
>>
Where did this dumb meme that kids are better at learning languages than adults come from?
>>
>>201740500
chomsky probably

its partially true but only because kids do NOTHING but learn a language for the first 5 years of their lives. an adult with that much time would get C1 in 3+ languages
>>
>>201740500
There exists a critical period for learning the piano or chess as well. Adults can get very good at them, but it's simply not heard of for late learners to reach the very highest levels.
>>
>>201740500
Reality. Neuroplasticity declines with age and you simply have less time, it's sad but true.
>>
>>201740823
>critical period
in to the trash it goes
>>
>>201741024
>the critical period doesn't exist because life is unfair and I don't like it
goon more inpoot and think it'll give you the brain connections of someone who learned something from childhood when their brains were like malleable clay, retard
>>
Question, can I raise my brain's plasticity by drinking water from pet bottles instead of tap water? Has anybody tried this so far?
>>
>>201741245
No fap
8hour sleep a day
Yoga nidra
Cold water exposure
Nootropics
Morning jogging
>>
>>201741149
>unmarked y axis
how am I supposed to know how over it is for people going on 30?
>>
>>201737627
孤雁 Lone Goose

孤雁不飲啄 飛鳴聲念群 The lone goose takes no sustenance to beak—it wheels and calls, its thoughts all of its herd
誰憐一片影 相失萬重雲 But who would pity speck lost in the clouds? Within thick curtains, kinship ties are blurred
望盡似猶見 哀多如更聞 It cranes its neck, in hopes it might still see—with heart weighed down, it feels they might be heard
野鴉無意緒 鳴噪自紛紛 In field, the crows, not grasping full his plight, respond in chorus, all their voices slurred
>>
>>201741149
>2009
>>
Fellow German learners are any of you considering dropping German after the alarming election results from East Germany? Finding it really demotivating. Any encouragement would be appreciated : )
>>
the critical period is made up by dekinai's as a coping mechanism
the truth is that kids do absolutely fucking nothing all day and therefore have basically unlimited time to learn a language
adults have to get food which takes 90% of their awake time
>>
>>201742376
it's a proven fact of neuroscience with an extremely deep and robust amount of scientific literature backing it, your pathetic little cope about how "it's just because they have more time" is unsubstantiated. You are pushing pseudoscientific toxic positivity when reality stands in the way.
>>
>>201742638
science isn't real though????? lol look at that guy thinking he got phd from reading 3 news articles. go read philosophy
>>
>>201741245
kek
>>
>>201742638
Walk me through it
could you give me some papers
>>
First words follow the development of object permanence by just a few months. I don't see how anyone can claim that anything about adult and infant cognition is similar, let alone the same.
This isn't demotivation. It's obvious that there are plenty of successful adult language learners. There are successful adult learners of mathematics and painting too, and the pedagogy for them is also entirely different than that for kids.
>>
The critical period is real.

There's been multiple studies done by neuroscientists. Perfect pitch is such an example. The incidence of perfect pitch is more common in tonal languages but is still exceedingly rare. Perfect pitch acquisition is characterized by frequent early childhood exposure to music and musical training. Otherwise you can only learn relative pitch which is not perfect pitch at all.

However, if people take a drug which reintroduces neuroplasticity (valproate, don't take it, it has bad side effects and is actually bad for your brain) and reopens the critical period, they can learn it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3848041/#!po=12.5000

Here's also some more general info:

http://philomel.com/pdf/PsyMus_3_Ch5_Absolute_Pitch.pdf

Perfect pitch has been studied much now and has pretty much been unraveled.
>>
>>201742638
holy reddit what a bunch of buzzwords

>neuroscience

*tips fedora*
>>
>>201742901
neuroscientists can't explain not even a single thing about consciousness, and probably never will, because they too are just adults who want to get moni for food. what makes you think they've figured out the brain?
>>
>>201742857
What's sad is most of the people on 4chan still have some neuroplasticity left, since they're generally in their teens and 20s. They could still achieve high levels. But instead of using better methods, they chose to join the youtube/reddit input cult, wasting time and valuable years of neuroplasticity. They'll end up 30 having done inpooting like AJATT/dreamingspanish for years, making 0 progress. If they didn't waste time like this since they're still young they could get CLOSE to native speakers given their age.
>>
>>201743018
I'm totally agree with you
Outputmaxxin beats inputmaxxin in all the ways
>>
>>201743018
what do you propose as a better method? I thought inpoot is the best use for neuroplasticity
>>
>>201743018
What are those better methods?
How can I avoid waisting my time?
>>
>>201743537
you need a combination approach of input along with more traditional methods (like grammar drills and textbooks) and SRS/anki
>>
>>201743018
>refuses to elaborate
>>201743344
finally a smart thought person, output should be the primary method. inpoot, anki, grammar must be strong secondaries too
>>
>>201743578
Hmm, that's what I've been doing, so I'm not waisting my time then.
I have come to the same conclusion when I realized that I started inputting in English only after I had grammar at school and knew probably like 2-3k words.
>>
>>201743344
I totally agree*
>>
>>201743578
Seconding this.
Kids take longer to pick up concepts, but eventually internalize grammar rules even without explicit instruction, and retain them quasi-permanently. Adults learn best from explicit instruction, and clever adults learn much faster than ever clever children, but never reach the same level of total mastery, though dedicated ones can come close. Languages learned as an adult furthermore need relatively persistent reinforcement.
What's more is that you can swap out "grammar" and "languages" here for almost any other subject and still have a true statement.
>>
i'm just gonna add, if it wasn't obvious already, you should be doing exercises in a notebook. handwriting helps to internalize forms, as opposed to the majick computer typing that makes the process artificial
>>
>>201743578
Isn't this the most obvious shit
I would expect everybody to be referring to this when they say "input method"
>>
>>201744258
Yes. The sad, boring truth of most human activities is that nothing beats persistence and diligence.
>>
How do you suggest I study grammar from textbooks? I have some left over from school that should cover A1-B2. I could solve them cover to cover but I think that way, after the first few questions, you mechanically do the same thing over and over paying little attention to the details.
Maybe I should create some flashcards questions from each chapter so they get mixed up when I study them?
>>
>>201744258
>I would expect everybody to be referring to this when they say "input method"
they aren't, inpooters are at best indifferent to things like grammar drills or SRS software and consider it a waste, some of the more extreme ones say they'll actively harm you and that they must be avoided (ALG)
>>
>il fallait nous le dire plus tôt

Am I right to read this as you should have told us earlier
>>
>>201745667
well, i guess you could also think of someone other than you but yes, you can. when i read it i think of no one in particular just that the information should have been given to them earlier
>>
How do I get to the point where I can actually understand kids tv shows? Should I just do dreaming Spanish? I feel like once I can at least understand basic level content I can get the ball rolling but not sure how to get there?
>>
>>201745667
Pretty much. You could also cram an "about it" between us and earlier. Depends what they're talking about.
>>
>>201746084
>Should I just do dreaming Spanish?
No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnh0zasq2w0
>>
>>201745866
>>201746098
merci
>>
>掰彎
>扶她
Thank you based natives for helping me learn the words that I really need to learn, no dictionary could possibly compare to you great men.
>>
>c'est pas grave, je suis pas à ça près
what does ne pas être à ça près mean?
>>
Anyone got a good resource for practicing and memorizing French verb conjugations? I've found a few via Google but I wanted to know if the /int/ gurus have any other sources
>>
File: 9782401052352-001-X[1].jpg (53 KB, 780x1098)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>201748832
See if you can find a pdf of Bescherelle -Conjugaison
>>
>>201748050
This might be of help
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/ne_plus_%C3%AAtre_%C3%A0_%C3%A7a_pr%C3%A8s#:~:text=(Familier)%20Se%20trouver%20dans%20une,'inqui%C3%A9ter%20de%20l'accessoire.
>>
>>201749316
Thank you!
>>
>>201748050
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/je-suis-pas-%C3%A0-%C3%A7a-pr%C3%A8s.2020364/
This is good too it seems I didn't even know of that idiom
>>
Do you think it could be useful to do a pimsleur or assimil course while I spend 45 minutes doing cardio, even if I can't read the text? Has anyone ever tried this and had success? I've only ever done language learning when I've been fully focused and sitting at a desk
>>
>>201750737
De rien.
>>
>>201750887
I can't imagine it being very helpful to listen to speech you don't understand, unless you can work your way up to it.
The better answer though is that there's nobody stopping you from trying it.
>>
File: 1706344843826617.jpg (454 KB, 1080x1363)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>201748832
Screenshotting from "Hawkins French grammar" book, hopefully it helps a little I'll post a few more from it but there are more so I'll post them
>>
>>201750887
Listen to a French dub of a film/tv series you've already seen. You already know what they'll say so you can probably work out what they're saying in French.
On a side note, I wonder how a French dub of Only Fools and Horses would sound like.
>>
File: 1700205536474522.jpg (425 KB, 1080x1425)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
>>201748832
>>201751488
>>
File: 1663682432714340.png (325 KB, 990x916)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>201703288
yeah. Tried German for a bit and it's just not the same. Indonesian just feels so right. Not sure what it is, but that's just the language I enjoy learning.

>>201703358
Mudah
>?
>Mereka memulai berbicara Bahasa Ingriss
>Pengaruh Bahasa Prancis paling jelas terlihat pada ejaannya.
>>
File: 1702443277510823.jpg (481 KB, 1080x1349)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>201751550
>>201748832
Final one.
There are many more pages on verb forms later
>>
File: french-tenses.png (533 KB, 1548x910)
533 KB
533 KB PNG
>>201750887
>even if I can't read the text?

Do you mean like you can't read it in the sense bc you are runnning, etc or in the sense it is above your level? I assume you mean the former and if so def go for it. I've been listening to french while I drive to work for the last year or so, which amounts to 30-45 mins a day and feel like my listening has definitely improved. To me it is like free input bc otherwise I'd just be listening to music.
>>
>>201751826
You're doing the INPOOOTING method?
>>
>>201751999
I have to admit I look up grammar explanations and use a dictionary, so no
>>
>>201751826
Yeah, I mean I just cycle on a stationary bike for 30-45 minutes for a few times per week. Normally I listen to music but this seems like a waste of time. I don’t really enjoy watching TV so I can’t watch dubs, which leaves language YouTube or courses and I suspect pimsleur is probably the most comprehensive I’ll find. I can repeat out loud since I’m by myself, but I suppose I could always internally vocalise if I’m ever in a gym. I’m learning French and Arabic. Arabic pimsleur is pretty bad though imo since it’s very hard to hear so I’ll have to find some other resource.
>>
Russian content: Go shopping in Moscow with this random Russian man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HutvF7i-MuQ
>>
>>201751600
>Indonesian just feels so right. Not sure what it is, but that's just the language I enjoy learning.
cute! good luck
>>
>>201752345
I don't know your level, but check this out if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf8XN5kNFkhdIS7NMcdUdxibD1UyzNFTP

I actually started with this and would listening to chapters over and over again.
>>
>>201746149
What should I do then instead?
>>
>>201752156
Everyone does for a good reason while don't worry about that friend.
Mon ami, ne t'inquiète pas parce que je suis certain que tu apprends très bien.
Had to look up a word for this but we all learn actively by using the language and practicing.
>>
>>201737685
yes
>>
bump
>>
Using inherited words feels like keeping the torch burning while using borrowed doublets feels like stripping trinkets off a lich. Maybe I'm just a sperg.
>>
>多吃新鲜的苹果对身体好, 早上和上午是吃苹果最好时间.
what's the difference between 早上 and 上午
>>
How is Interpals hornier than HelloTalk bros. First time getting the app and 4th post is Nigerian bitch bending over lmao
>>
Is it possible that a second language learned in adulthood can imprint on you permanently? Is there a certain level of mastery that imprints a language on you, making it more difficult to learn a third language? Maybe not your skill, but something else? Maybe it affects your motivation rather than your capacity to learn? Like >>201751600. Is he unable to learn a third language because of Indonesian moving in rent free?
>>
>>201756507
早上 means early morning while 上午 means (morning) before noon (中午), which is the opposite of 下午 (afternoon). Basically they both mean morning but one is earlier than the other. If the time is 6 am then 早上 fits better. If the time is 10 am then 上午 is more suitable.
Might also depend on context. If you say something like "I do 20 push-ups every morning" then 早上 is better. If you say something like "I can't come tomorrow because I have classes in the morning" then 上午 is better.
>>
>>201756991
Cum de știi chineză?
>>
>>201756937
If anything, learning a second language makes it easier to learn a third, fourth and so on. You get used to how languages work just from exposure. As an example, learning a Romance language as a second language might seem weird to an English native because the adjectives come after the nouns (no EFL says "I have a car red" like you would in Romanian), but it will help if the third language you will learn also has this rule. Add loanwords and you're halfway there.
>>201757035
Fusei pe la facultatea de limbi straine.
>>
>>201757159
I can't learn a third language because I can only care about my TL. What do you call that?
>>
>>201756991
is there a chart for the different times of the day in chinese
>>
>>201757300
Passionate or obsessive could both work. Depends on how you want to frame it or how far you take it. Starting to learn obscure or extinct dialects pushes you into obsessive territory.
As for your earlier question about imprinting, sometimes you can't recall a word in a certain language and the process of remembering it is burdened by the fact that the same word in a different language keeps popping up in your mind.
>>
File: time+of+day.png (533 KB, 1088x1066)
533 KB
533 KB PNG
>>
if you're not supposed to use 是 with adjectives why is this sentence using it with 瘦:
>你现在真瘦! 我记得你上学的时候不是很瘦啊.
>>
>>201757503
Modern Chinese uses the ones below. Some aren't as popular as others (I haven't heard 傍晚 used very often for example).
Very early morning - 凌晨 - líng chén - From around 3:00 a.m. until dawn
Morning (early) - 早上 - zǎo shàng - From dawn until around 9:00 a.m.
Morning (late) - 上午 - shàng wǔ - From around 9:00 a.m. until around 11:00 a.m.
Noon - 中午 - zhōng wǔ - From around 11:00 a.m. until around 1:00 p.m.
Afternoon - 下午 - xià wǔ - From around 1:00 p.m. until around 8:00 p.m.
Evening (early) - 傍晚 - bàng wǎn - From around 6:00 p.m. to around 9:00 p.m.
Evening - 晚上 - wǎn shàng - From around 8:00 p.m. to around 11:00 p.m.
Midnight - 半夜 - bàn yè - From around 11:00 p.m. until around 1:00 a.m.
Evening (late) - 深夜 - shēn yè - From around 1:00 a.m. until around 3:00 a.m.

You can find how ancient Chinese told time (one day is split in 12 segments according to the Chinese zodiac - time of the pig is 9PM to 11PM for example), adverbs and some proverbs about time here: https://www.berlitz.com/blog/time-chinese-mandarin
This link only has the modern ones but you have a button for pronunciation: https://www.ichineselearning.com/easy-chinese/parts-of-day.html
>>
>>201757797
Usually 是 isn't used for adjectives but in this case it might have to do with negation or emphasis. I found this page which explains it better than I can. https://chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/52044/can-i-use-%E6%98%AF-with-adjective-color
>>
>>201683659
I'd like to give one idea that is helping me, I got a mechanical keyboard with the letters in cyrillic, if you cannot afford it maybe you get a virtual keyboard on the language you want, there are courses, very good courses cracked on the internet which are pretty basic, you know, day-to-day things that can get you starting on a language.
To summarize it, you go through the course, for example, Rosetta Stone TOTALe, which only uses the language you are trying to learn with images, but then you can search the inflections on an internet translator or a paid one, and then you can learn faster, at least, for languages that are taught without the romanized characters.
>>
File: ty2[1].jpg (94 KB, 532x354)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>201758014
I'll need to make some space on my desk in that case.
>>
>>201758343
Maybe there is a virtual keyboard version which is user-friendly.
I know that there is simplified chinese mechanical keyboards, japanese as well, people only buy the caps and replace them.
>>
>>201757814
>(one day is split in 12 segments according to the Chinese zodiac - time of the pig is 9PM to 11PM for example)
According to the Twelve Earthly branches, rather. It would be pretty hard ro reckon time with the zodiac.
>>201758343
Wubi?
>>
>>201758406
I was just joking. The pic I posted is a concept some dude invented. You have something like 5-6 of those wheels. Pic related is what is commonly used. Depends on the input method. There is a stroke order method where pic related comes in handy. There's also the pinyin (latin characters) input method where you just write "zhang", a list of characters pops up and you press the number key to select the "zhang" you want (most of the time you can press space because the software takes context and recurring characters into account). A standard QWERTY keyboard is just fine for pinyin input.
>>201758566
I think the one I posted has a key for each character whereas wubi still depends on stroke order.
>>
>>201758663
>I think the one I posted has a key for each character whereas wubi still depends on stroke order.
Yeah, I suggested Wubi (or Cangjie etc) to remedy that. I don't understand what the Brazilian anon even meant.
>>
>>201758566
Didn't know about the Twelve Earthly branches. The website just said:
>How ancient Chinese measure time - 12 Shi Chen
>If you’re interested in astrology, then you probably already know that your time of birth can change your birth chart, as the positions of the planets change by the second. However, did you know that Chinese zodiacs also change by the hour?
>The 十二时辰 (shí èr shí chén) are two-hour periods that each represent a different animal in the Chinese zodiac.
>The time of the day you were born influences your emotions and personality, as does the day, month, and year.
>Which Chinese hour zodiac are you?
I saw the animal names in English and figured it's related to the zodiac. Upon further inspection, it seems the Chinese characters used aren't the ones usually used for animals.
>11 p.m. to 1 a.m. - Rat - 子时 - zǐ shí
>9 p.m. to 11 p.m. - Pig - 亥时 - hài shí
>>201758719
I think he was talking about Cyrillic or other non-Latin alphabet-based languages which can fit on a regular-sized keyboard. Having the letters under your nose every time you use the pc will help remembering them.
>>
File: Image.jpg (212 KB, 1024x769)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>201758719
>I don't understand what the Brazilian anon even meant.
There is software that helps with learning, so I can tell by the image what it meant, for example, мyжчины being plural of мyжчинa so by elimination you already know that the correct answer would be the multiple men having drinks instead of the man by himself having a drink, but having a virtual keyboard to search for the words and have them translated can help you understand better and learn more.
Maybe I am not as smart as other people and can understand better like this.
>>
>page 10
quints challenge
>>201755555
>>
>>201757814
>>201758007
谢谢你
i was wondering why in some example sentences they used 中午 to asked the time for something because i thought it was obvious that it would be 12:00pm and was suspecting whether chinese noon actually covered more hours
>>
>>201755555
gdybym się przeprowadził do europy to by nie mógł gadać w /cum/ to by mi złamało serce
>>
What's funny is that 4channers think they have the human brain figured out and know the best language learning methods.
>>
>>201761243
???
>>
Should I learn Mandarin or Arabic?
>>
>>201761275
Is there a problem with what I said?
>>
>>201761335
Arabic seems like a deceptively useful language. Similar to how French is thought of as a useful language, but really you can only use it in France or fucking Africa. Any Arabic areas you'd actually ever step foot in, even on a risky adventure, will probably speak English or another European language. Mandarin can be GOATed if you can get career benefits from it, but if you don't it's kind of awkward because its reach outside of China/Taiwan is very modest.
>>
>>201761243
I do know better than the average layman, yes
>>
>>201761243
I have my brain figured out. That's enough for me.
>>
>>201761445

I speak French and can confirm - only used it in France and with French people in Brazil. Despite having relatives in Lebanon, it doesn't seem very useful since they all speak English and French. Wouldn't be useful for traveling in the MENA either because they all speak a different dialect and not all of them understand MSA. I think I have better chances of landing a job with the Saudis rather than the Chinese, but I don't think it would be worth the effort of going on a 10y journey to master the language.
>>
>>201761385
Everyone's doing their own thing here. What is the best method in your opinion?
>>
>>201761335
Learn the language that you want to know and use
>>
>>201761568
>>201761592
>>
>>201726347
Assume 10xp for everything he gets right (it's probably more because he tries to get the high score and exploits as much as possible)
That's actually merely 160,000 interactions. Nope. Probably strongest on vocab and lacking everything else, but even vocab is probably weak.

Duolingo is like playing call of duty and saying you're a real solider.
>>201740500
People who just heckin LOVE pseudoscience.
>>201741149
The brain connections formed later in life are infinitely more effective at doing anything in the real world because they build off the previous brain connections.
Language learning isn't actually just knowing some words and doing a bunch of rote shit, it's knowing grammar, concepts, culture, history, and words, and using all of them to communicate effectively.

The brain constantly changes every single day, the exponential curve in charts like these is entirely made up and gay and there are still plenty of 40, 50, 60 year old people out there who learn fast and effectively, but now they have a foundation and decades of experience doing a variety of things.

I'm not even talking necessarily about languages here, old people acquire new skills all the time. People just go for low-hanging fruit because the world constantly changes and a lot of fat old retards let their brains rot so there's a lot of low-hanging fruit to pick.
>>
>>201742817
would you settle for an unsourced graph and hyperbolic claim with no relation to an unsourced article?
>>
which language should I learn to get a girlfriend?
>>
>>201763207
Keep working on English.
>>
>>201763207
!kung
>>
>>201757797
>if you're not supposed to use 是 with adjectives
That's not a universal rule, you need to memorize when it's odd and when it's okay
>>201758826
Zodiacs and Dizhi are counterparts to each other. 子鼠、丑牛、寅虎、卯兔、辰龙、巳蛇、午马、未羊、申猴、酉鸡、戌狗、亥猪
>>
>>201763207
Quechua or Inuktitut
>>
>>201763207
Italian or French
>>
File: gregg203.gif (14 KB, 387x535)
14 KB
14 KB GIF
>>201763207
There's no need to learn an entirely new language. Learn Gregg shorthand and women will start throwing themselves at you.
>>
>>201688965
inpoot resources: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=documentario+italia
>>
sovl https://youtu.be/Rz7c7vbCuAg?si=qpmMzF_TY14053Cp La gente di Napoli - Humans of Naples Documentary

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.