[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: honegger.jpg (136 KB, 640x556)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
Honegger edition

This thread is for the discussion of music in the Western classical tradition.

>How do I get into classical?
This link has resources including audio courses, textbooks and selections of recordings to help you start to understand and appreciate classical music:
https://pastebin.com/NBEp2VFh

Previous thread: >>123940119
>>
>>123957023
Honegger did a great soundtrack for the best adaptation of Les Misérables (1934) so he has my respect for that
>>
>>123957055
https://youtu.be/MeebaH--kZI
yes
>>
>>123957023
the french are actually really good composers when they’re actually not french, as is the case with honegger and franck.
>>
>>123957085
why did you let me know Hurwitz agrees with me? now I am forced to change my mind...
>>
>>123957098
fun fact: hurwitz also likes handel, beethoven, mozart, haydn, brahms, wagner, bruckner, mahler, schubert, mendelssohn, debussy, ravel, tchaikovsky, prokofiev, shostakovich, bartok, and stravinsky. hope you don’t like any of those composers.
>>
File: 1638556914127.jpg (31 KB, 298x455)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
One does not need to share Wagner’s view of Mendelssohn, who came from a Christianized and highly assimilated family, to see that his argument is substantially correct. . . . A really great creative artist is one who, in freely expressing his own needs, aspirations, and conflicts, articulates those of an entire society. This is made possible by the fact that, through his earliest relationships, mother tongue, upbringing, and all his first experience of life, the cultural heritage on which he has entered at birth is woven into the whole fabric of his personality. He has a thousand roots in it of which he is unaware, nourishing him below the level of consciousness, so that when he speaks for himself he quite unconsciously speaks for others. Now in Wagner’s time it was impossible for a Jewish artist to be in this position. The ghettos of Western Europe had only begun to be opened in the wake of the French Revolution, and their abolition was going on throughout the nineteenth century. The Jewish composers of Wagner’s day were among the very first emancipated Jews, pastless in the society in which they were living and working. They spoke its language with, literally, a foreign accent.
>>
>>123957125
so true wagnersister
>>
>>123957125
noonecares
>>
>>123957125
Sounds about right.
>>
File: 1405872031081.jpg (176 KB, 625x900)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>123957086
French music is more tasteful than German firetruck music
>>
>>123957123
well I don't anymore!
>>
I wish I could enjoy the Brandenburg Concertos but they just sound outdated, too much the product of a alien time and peoples.
>>
>>123957160
>posts berlioz, satie and ravel in the same breath as “tasteful”
LMFAOOOOOOO
>>
>>123957160
you mean gay
>>
I would never listen to any of Vagner’s repulsive operas, I only listen to Brahms and french composers.
>>
>>123957227
oh I also like to swallow when I suck if that matters
>>
It was 73, Brahmscuck was on /classical/ with the trusty Sibelius. I'd never seen Vagner before, and found myself thoroughly entertained. I'd heard Vagner was a tranny meme, and it certainly showed in its humor. I distinctly remember smirking to the memes. But nothing could prepare me for the absolute show of wit that was about to come in first syllable of the word Vagner, when happened the eponymous vag.
Vagina! A single pun, and just after Wagner’s name! I burst out laughing. "Oh Brahmscuck" I remember thinking, barely managing to think straight at all between my chuckles and wheezing. "What a prankster! What a jokester!"
/classical/ attemped to calm me down, some even asking how I'd not known about the famous Vagner by then, popular as it was. Were they not happy one had been lucky enough to live to that point and still feel the pure, unadulterated Brahmscuck genius? Were they jealous? I did not know then, and do not care now.
I tried to calm myself, but kept chuckling all throughout the Vagners in the next post. At the edge of my seat, I waited for the repeat of the Vagner, this time hoping to control myself. Imagine my surprise then, during the next Brahmscuck post, when the Vagner surprised me further by not showing up at all! At that point I feared for my life, such was the lack of oxygen from my guffawling fit.
They only managed to removed me from the thread putting an end to my disruption after I'd already soaked the board in urine.
>>
>>123957187
>>123957184
t. coping earlets
>>
>>123957264
lmao shut up you like satie
>>
>>123957227
I would never listen to opera, I only listen to choral music when I want the sound of the human voice.
>>
File: W.jpg (347 KB, 1260x1073)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>123957160
French music is vulgar and filthy. France is the sewer drain of western Europe, and it ought to be nuked from orbit.
>>
please no more vagner faggotry. that faggot sucked major ass.
>>
>>123957160
Where's Rameau?
>>
>>123957363
thank you wagnersister
>>
File: rw.jpg (204 KB, 1620x1080)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>When it comes to music dramas nobody knows music dramas better than me. I have the best music dramas. The best. But look folks, the French have been definitely overtaking us in the arts. It's terrible. When France sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing cheap entertainment. They're bringing creditors. They're Jews. And some, I assume, are good people. We need to build a wall. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate France. I love France. I have great relationships with the French people. But what they have been doing to our national spirit is just... terrible. Terrible. Sad! Don't worry though, folks. The HRE is going to come back. And it's going to come back greater and stronger than ever before. It's gonna be yuge, believe me. We're going to make Germany great again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq6fWOy070c
>>
>>123957454
thank you wagnersister
>>
>>123957396
woof woof
>>
>>123957472
put your trip back on, pedophile kraut
>>
File: Gesualdo3.jpg (17 KB, 210x277)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>Two years into her marriage with Gesualdo, Donna Maria began an affair with Fabrizio Carafa, third Duke of Andria and seventh Count of Ruvo. For almost two years, Gesualdo did not have knowledge about this, although the news was spreading and well-known elsewhere. On the night of October 16, 1590, Gesualdo allegedly announced that he was going on a hunting expedition and it is rumored that he arranged with his servants to leave the doors unlocked.[citation needed] When he unexpectedly returned at the Palazzo San Severo in Naples, he smashed down Donna Maria's bedroom door to discover the two lovers in flagrante in bed.[4] Gesualdo then slaughtered them both on the spot.[5] Afterwards, the bodies of his wife and lover, both mutilated and naked, were dragged outside, in front of the palace to be exposed for everyone to see. Later, Carlo Gesualdo fled to his castle at Gesualdo, Campania to be safe from any relatives of the murdered ones swearing vengeance.
>The day after the murders, a delegation of Neapolitan officials inspected the room in Gesualdo's apartment where the killings had taken place, and interrogated witnesses. The delegation's report did not lack in gruesome details, including the mutilation of the corpses, and, according to the witnesses, Gesualdo going into the bedroom a second time "because he wasn't certain yet they were dead".[6]
>Due to his status as a nobleman, The Gran Corte della Vicaria found that Gesualdo had not committed a crime.[5]
>About a year after the gruesome end of his first marriage Gesualdo's father died and he thus became the third Prince of Venosa and eighth Count of Conza.[1][6]
>>
>>123957570
>cheat on your husband
>get brutally slaughtered
>centuries pass
>your husband is still infinitely more widely known and beloved than you'll ever be
kek
>>
>>123957570
yes, very based
>>
File: wgbeaga.png (692 KB, 900x600)
692 KB
692 KB PNG
>wagnersisters?!
>>
>>123957160
>Ah the...French...composers....have always been noted for their excellence
>>
File: 71clcwl4gkL._SL1200_[1].jpg (162 KB, 1200x1189)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
now playing (the Orchestral Suites)

start of J.S. Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B Minor, BWV 1067
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QWSd0XXZME&list=OLAK5uy_lydMRoXoqaA4uE1ra6Cg2NrbFrwg2vNX4&index=11

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lydMRoXoqaA4uE1ra6Cg2NrbFrwg2vNX4
>>
>>123957241
>I tried to calm myself, but kept chuckling all throughout the Vagners in the next post.
gets me everytime
>>
>>123957643
put your trip back on, groomer germ
>>
File: 1.jpg (167 KB, 1200x878)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
He has completely destroyed my mind. What is happening to me? I just stopped Carmen in the first half... an opera I never quit in the middle of the session. I tried changing to Verdi's Macbeth, Mozart's Figaro, Pagliacci, William Tell... it was all for naught, even Beethoven could not save me from this mad course trajectory towards Wagner. Its like nothing else even exists! This is a huge fucking problem, there will come a point when Wagner will cease to have the same power and effect and that will be the day I ruin myself. I need help, guys help me! This is not a joke. How do you survive "music fatigue"?
>>
>>123957181
Some people (like myself) enjoy music from other times that sound as such. I like medieval music, for example.
>>
>>123957729
>Play a Brandenburg in YT (no picrel)
>Sounds weird
>Look title to be sure
>It says "without tempo markings"
>Feel uncultured and lost
>>
>>123957990
lost about what
>>
>>123958006
Why does the concert sounds weird without tempo markings? Its not only the speed that is different, but I cant put my finger on what exactly is off for me.
>>
File: 24971.gif (365 KB, 500x275)
365 KB
365 KB GIF
>>123957879
I know that feel, anon. Try Reger and anything else in the hyper-romantic polyphonic idiom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkoPnSBMfc
>>
>>123957363
Based
>>
>>123958178
>>
File: r4ym.gif (190 KB, 220x212)
190 KB
190 KB GIF
>>123958335
>t.
>>
>>123958178
Personally I don't really like Late Romantic harmonies poured into traditional moulds. It seems very arbitrary, like there was no need for them to go together.
>>
Last time I'll bring up my medication, promise, but it's hilarious and interesting to me that classical music sounds best to me in the mornings before I head out to the methadone clinic for my dose, and approximately 12 hours later once the brain fog and such starts to really wear off. Proves that classical music enjoyment really involves the use of higher mental faculties.
>>
>>123958396
What medication? Sounds bad for you, even if it's necessary.
>>
>>123958349
yes, we know you want to fuck dogs. now put your trip back on, groomer germ.
>>123958386
the pedophile kraut doesn’t know what form is, he only cares about his nonsensical half-cooked version of schenker
>>
>>123958425
Methadone. Side effects seem to include brain fog and emotional numbness. Don't worry, once I get upgraded in the amount of takehome doses they give me, I'll start splitting the dose into two parts a day and that should solve the issues while still giving me all of the benefits, but currently I have to go in every weekday and when you dose there, you have to take it in front of the nurse.

But yeah, it's funny because oftentimes at midday I'll try listening to, say, a Tchaikovsky ballet, and I struggle to make it through even 15 minutes some days without wanting to turn it off because it does nothing for me, but try the same work later in the evening once I'm feeling more clearheaded and normal, and I can listen through the entire thing no problem and enjoy every second. Wild.

Is what it is.
>>
File: 6182880.jpg (393 KB, 1000x800)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>>123958386
I disagree. In fact, Romantic harmony freed the older forms from excessive constraints. There is no reason why a sonata could not use a highly expanded/modulatory layout.

Reger's music is like exploring a gothic labyrinth. It is Faustian art par excellence.
>>
>>123958576
>>
So when you guys listen to stuff like Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Boulez, etc., is the enjoyment just aesthetic contemplation and formal appreciation, or you actually get an emotional response to it too?
>>
>>123958606
both.
>>
>>123958606
the point of western art music is that those two things are one and the same.
>>
>>123958606
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEZlfq_cgo
Hard not to come away with an emotional response from this
>>
>>123958607
Hmm alright, maybe it'll click for me eventually then, because even the stuff I enjoy seems to be emotional opaque for me currently.

>>123958618
Well, coming from a deeper interest and understanding of literature, in my experience there's lots of stuff in that art form which is beautiful almost entirely in a formal play space, similar to like how a sequence of chess moves can be beautiful but lacking any emotional resonance, so I thought perhaps the more 'unconventional' stuff in music may be the same way.
>>
>>123958673
>there's lots of stuff in that art form which is beautiful almost entirely in a formal play space
well yes, of course that applies to classical music. a great example is the same max reger that the pedophile kraut is obsessed with, formally and motivically brilliant but utterly repulsive emotionally. on the other hand, the emotions in pieces like the berg violin concerto, lyric suite, or schoenberg’s pierrot lunaire are not emotionally hard to discern, while those pieces are also at the apex of motivic coherence.
>>
File: 4038510.jpg (47 KB, 300x426)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>123958696
I have a fever, and the only prescription is more chromatic sludge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxBPtMsNyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FigR4qLfph0
>>
>>123958731
didn’t ask, pedophile kraut. put your trip back on and stop fucking dogs.
>>
>>123958672
Damn, that's pretty great. Funny enough Leinsdorf's 9th was gonna be the next one I listened to.

>>123958696
Well said, thanks. Do you think a lot of that kind of music requires some technical music knowledge in order to access its emotional content? If so that might be my issue. There's even a lot of Bartok that I get nothing emotionally from, sadly.
>>
>>123958576
I get that, it is interesting, and I prefer Reger to Mahler, but the relation between the latter's harmony and form does seem a lot more 'natural' than in Reger. My ears can't help but hear a kind of disjunction between form and harmony in Reger, as if it's composite rather than a whole.
>>
>>123958566
Is methadone a permanent thing, presuming that you're getting off heroine, or does the addiction go away?
>>
>>123958772
no, not really. the point of expressionism is that harmony translates to emotion in a direct and visceral manner.
>>123958775
reger’s output is essentially every criticism levied against brahms but actually true.
>>
>>123958792
>reger’s output is essentially every criticism levied against brahms but actually true.
I think it was already in Brahms a little bit, but Reger ran with it 1000x.
>>
>>123958787
There's a lot I could go on regarding that question but I don't wanna clog up by discussing it here, so I'll just say it depends. When you get fully hooked on opiates, or really any drug, it basically rewires your brain to create that sensation of a mental craving. By tapering off of methadone (taking less and less over a period of a time until you eventually are taking next to nothing, then jumping off), you can indeed heal that damage. However, for some who are more predisposed to substance addiction, they will have inherent brain structures leading to the desire to want to use, and that won't heal as it's their default, so that's where things like going to meetings and such come into play as a way to deal with lifelong cravings. Those kinds of people could instead take methadone for life. I'm probably a lifer, yeah. Fine by me though, has a lot of benefits for me and I don't mind having to take a medication everyday.
>>
File: bach bwv 201.png (677 KB, 625x628)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
now playing

start of Geschwinde, ihr wirbelnden Winde, BWV 201
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybOs7Uo51R0&list=OLAK5uy_nAKkKbMRe_Wr9urPOjnlsIZnrBVN4DDGY&index=1

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nAKkKbMRe_Wr9urPOjnlsIZnrBVN4DDGY
>>
Man continuo is so boring often. Are there any harpsichordists that do something creative with their playing? I hate it when a piece has continuo and the harpsichordist is just smashing down chords on the bassline and sometimes playing an arpeggio, isnt there more freedom to continuo than that?
>>
So any of you play an instrument? Starting piano lessons as an old man is fun but also the prospects are grim. How much can you advance in your 40s? Anyway any favorite piano pieces to start musical appreciation?
>>
File: images(18).jpg (53 KB, 599x512)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Now listening
>>
>>123958866
Interesting, I didn't know much about this subject before so I'm glad to learn more about it. Wish you all the best on the road to sobriety anon!
>>
https://youtu.be/awLkK-9lTBg?si=pL-_EtOKyVRol6Sd
*brutally mogged every other mid century composer when he was 80*
>>
>>123959355
start with the keyboard suites by Handel and Burgmuller.
>>
>>123957023
Anons, what Beethoven piano sonata should I learn? I have played the second movement of No. 8 'Pathetique' but am generally more into Mozart. Maybe No. 19 to get an understanding of his style?
>>
>>123960444
>>
Classical music is shit, it fails to capture all vibes. It especially lacks in being concise, visceral, and unwilling to break with form even in its most experimental takes. Also classical is much easier to make than pop, prog or any real contemporary genre of modern music, that's why composers have 100s of works while bands like Radiohead put real time and effort. While there's popular music that's equally as lazy, there's also popular music that takes far more into consideration for various reasons like:
1. You got a lot less to work with because you have to be concise; adding/removing parts is a much more important decision
2. Your instrumentation is atypical relative to concerto, quartet, symphony orchestra setups
3. The complexities of mixing, mastering, and production techniques in general

There is 70 times more work put into pop than amy of your favorite composers do in their careers. You can cope but it is 200% true
>>
>>123960444
>>
>>123960587
why do you suck cocks?
>>
>>123957086
>underrating the Notre Dame school
>>
>>123957086
Is it true that Karajan's Honegger is the best?
>>
Is Brahms better than Beethoven?
>>
>>123961252
Lol haha no, that's practically sacrilege.
>>
>>123961394
His fourth symphony is better than all Beethoven symphonies.

He is the best chamber music composer of all time.

His opuses 116, 117, 118 and 119 are better than Beethoven's piano sonatas.

He never composed a bad opera, unlike Beethoven.
>>
>>123961609
Everything you said is wrong, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>123942262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBs1HkNTK5s
>>
>>123961252
Of course not. Wagner, Brahms and Schubert are the britney spears of 19th century music.
>>
>>123961609
Melodically I hate how Brahms rips off Schubert.
>>
Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNOcvSOYTM
>>
File: reddit.png (28 KB, 938x246)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>123961609
Brahmsfags are intolerable.
>>
>>123961975
Dark chocolate confirmed to be reddit food
>>
>>123961975
for me it's Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner. They are divine intervention tier.
>>
>vagnercucks already seething
>>
>>123959461
Thanks :) Fortunately the methadone works really well on that front so I've been good since I've been on it.
>>
File: 71HC37A4QqL._SL1500_[1].jpg (141 KB, 1500x1480)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
So now that the dust has settled, who has the best set of Scriabin's piano sonatas?
>>
W. A. Mozart - Symphony No.2 in B-flat major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61v2N-LMC5w
>>
>>123959384
Josquin is based
>>
Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPywgL54xo
>>
>>123961867
Examples?
>>
>>123962747
Yep, pretty gud
>>
>Patrician: Albums by single composer, same performer
>Connoisseur: Albums by single performer, assorted composers
>Peasant: Albums by assorted performers and composers
>Serf: Spotify "classical music" playlist
>>
File: 5analpi43189__36853.jpg (325 KB, 1280x1280)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>123963292
>Connoisseur: Albums by single performer, assorted composers
Sometimes the best performance of a piece is coupled with something else, for example Argerich's Rach 3 with Tchai 1, which by itself, is a patrician choice for recordings, so you are incorrect in that regard.
>>
>>123961058
i don’t know about the best, but his 2 and 3 are pretty good.
>>123963359
>slaveslop
>patrician
LMFAOOOOOOO
>>
what do we think of Berio
>>
>>123961058
For the 2nd, probably.
For the 3rd he's up there but he loses a few points for burying the piano so much. He's still damn good, but I have a mild preference for Mravinsky's. Which also comes with my favorite MSPC, such a great album
>>
File: 3r13r1.png (842 KB, 587x594)
842 KB
842 KB PNG
>put your trip back on, pedophile kraut
>>
>>123964185
stop ban evading and put your trip back on, groomer germ
>>
>>123964363
woof woof
>>
>>123964390
yes, we know you want to fuck dogs, now put your trip back on and stop ban evading, kiddydiddler kraut
>>
>>123964410
woof kraut woof kraut woof
>>
>>123964448
you can stop repeating the sounds you make while fucking dogs and put your trip back on, boyloving bavarian.
>>
Here you go sisterposter
https://www.eroticabyclohi.com/faqs/how-to-have-sex-with-a-dog/
>>
>>123958696
Pseudo intellectual post
>>
>>123964468
i’m sure the pedo kraut already has this entire page memorized by heart.
>>
>>123964487
numbskull post
>>
>>123964490
It’s for you
>>
>>123964520
no thanks, i’m not a german dogfucker.
>>
>>123964535
It’s not just for Germans
>>
>>123964566
i’m not a pedophile dogfucker either fortunately.
>>
>>123964584
Ah you wait till the puppies grow up-very wise
>>
>>123964661
not quite, thankfully, it may surprise you to learn that not everyone is into dogfucking like you are.
>>
>>123964683
Ah so you fuck them just on the cusp of adulthood- thank you for sharing
>>
>>123964788
schizophrenic delusions as usual.
>>
The Bittersweet Symphony https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74&pp=ygUYdGhlIGJpdHRlcnN3ZWV0IHN5bXBob255
>>
File: SVR_color.jpg (32 KB, 640x400)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Sergei was an aristocrat. Practicing incest further proves it.
>>
>>123964930
>this is what passes for aristocracy in slaveland
LOL
>>
File: 41YJVADY89L[1].jpg (27 KB, 300x300)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
let's start the day with
<-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv22N23QkPw

One of my favorite symphonies to start welcome any day with, really. The 1st, 3rd, and 4th are all great for that.
>>
>>123962246
a mix of Hamelin and Ohlsson.
>>
>>123964972
racist
>>
>>123965184
only insofar as one can be racist towards vermin.
>>
Even more racist posts
>>
File: queen of classical.jpg (1.2 MB, 2024x2698)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
/queen/
>>
File: 1200x1192.jpg (137 KB, 1200x1192)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>123957023
For me, it's the cello cto
>>
File: 663906a5e174e.jpg (147 KB, 896x957)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>OH GADZOOKS ZOUNDS IS THAT A GERMAN COMPOSER???????? IS THAT A DEUTSCHENVOLKEN SYMPHONIC COMPOSER OF EPIC GRANDEUR FROM THE COMMON CLASSICAL PERIOD??? OH MY SWEET HECKIN' CRUDDERS THIS IS SZECHUAN SAUCE AND WELTSEELE ON HORSEBACK WITH THE TRUMPETS AND THE PARPING AND THE BOGGY FART NOISES THE GRANDEUR IS SIMPLY INDELIBLE THE EPIC PIANO TINKLING FOLLOWED BY THE GRAND DEUTSCHEN TUBA FART WHAT AN INEFFABLE MUSIC
>>
File: Deutsche_Grammophon.svg.png (103 KB, 1280x735)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
This post was sponsored by Deutsche Grammophon™

We're happy to provide you with the best recordings available!
>>
>>123965516
Heil!
>>
>>123965516
Based as fuck.
>>
"The Greatest Recordings EVER" series is where Uncle Dave has gone definitively off the rails. Some of his choices areobvious bait.
>>
File: 41bb2FQyrLL[1].jpg (29 KB, 500x500)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>123965084
>Ohlsson

Oh, neat, wasn't familiar with this guy or his Scriabin recordings. Just added them all and will listen to some of it today, thanks! Lewd album cover for this one.
>>
>to hear Brahms's music on an instrument like the Streicher is to realize that the thick textures we associate with his work, the sometimes muddy chords in the bass and the occasionally woolly sonorities, come cleaner and clearer on a lighter, straight-strung piano. Those textures, then, are not a fault of Brahms's piano composition. To be sure, any sensitive pianist can avoid making Brahms sound murky on a modern piano. The point is that the modern pianist must strive to avoid that effect, must work at lightening the dark colors, where Brahms himself, playing his Streicher, did not have to work at it
Makes you think
>>
It's good that people are starting to attack the 4 honorary bogbillies (Liszt, Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky) and realizing their music is bad. Who knows, it might be a vital stepping stone to leaving the bog.
>>
Dvorak's chamber music is underrated
>>123965748
well it's Scriabin its gotta be a little lewd
>>
>>123965728
such as?
not that I disagree with you, I just wanna know what specifically made you realize it
>>
>>123965816
because incels are perverts?
>>
>>123965775
>Liszt
fine. Not great at all, not awful either. Generally, he is just not worth thinking much about.
>Berlioz
complete retard. Has like two good works at most.
>>123965775
>Tchaikovsky
third-to-second tier composer. Better than Liszt
>Stravinsky
best one here. still not great.
>>
>>123965816
>Dvorak's chamber music is underrated

Agreed. Actually, thinking on that, I might revisit the entirety of his string quartet cycle, been a while. Just gotta find the right recording set.
>>
>>123965039
Holy... this is one of the best 3rds I've ever heard. Sinopoli and the Philharmonia Orchestra do a great job of emphasizing the vibrancy of the colorful, kaleidoscopic work. Utterly enchanting.
>>
>>123965827
Bartók's MSPC by Saint-Martin-in-the-Fields/Marriner for one
>>
File: 817MxdNGjHL._SL1500_[1].jpg (247 KB, 1500x1500)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>123965816
>>123966054
Anyone familiar with and have any thoughts on pic related?
>>
>>123965728
The video where someone told him about the bassoon in Haydn's 93rd was the worst

Giving Hurwitz an excuse to talk about shit and farts is like tossing chum to a shark pool
>>
>>123966152
Just go with Panocha
>>
>>123966152
I'm very happy with the Prague String Quartet's cycle. I remember giving that one a shot and not liking it for some reason.
>>
>>123966203
But I've already heard (and really enjoy) that one :( I have a problem of always wanting to try unfamiliar recordings as often as I can.

>>123966245
Oh? Noted, thank you.
>>
>>123966190
>The video where someone told him about the bassoon in Haydn's 93rd was the worst
do tell us
>>
File: tchaikovsky.jpg (43 KB, 640x360)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>123965775
>>123965859
These composers, especially the most talented among them, Tchaikovsky, will be remembered for centuries as they currently are remembered, loved and cherished by people, musicians, musicologists and alike. Nothing more a man could achieve in his life than being remembered for Pathetique symphony.

I will continue to immensely enjoy his first-tier symphonies and ballets and at least an A tier concertos for the rest of my life.
>>
>>123966308
>t. Tibla cabbage-eater
>>
>>123966308
thank you incestuous boylover
>>
>>123965343
I hate these faggots like you wouldn't believe
>>
>>123965343
>she will never dress up as Sailor Moon and make fun of my tiny penis
its just not fair
>>
>>123966457
lol
>>
>>123966446
woof boylover woof
>>
>>123966470
put your trip back on, pedophile dogfucker kraut
>>
File: 1728639476982732.jpg (427 KB, 1000x996)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
Yuja Wang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbEtk1kdYx4&ab_channel=sal50811

Left hand only lets you keep your right hand free
>>
>>123963383
>>123963938
Thanks, I've been starting to get into him. Any other Honegger recording recs from anyone ITT would be very welcome.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (393 KB, 2121x1414)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>put your trip back on, pedophile dogfucker kraut
>>
File: cute feet.jpg (364 KB, 700x700)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>123966485
>>
>>123966506
stop dumping pics from your wank stash and put your trip back on, groomer (both dog and child) germ
>>
>>123966544
>>123966477
be quiet dog or you will end as an asian pianist food
>>
>>123965775
>bogbillies
What are you talking about? Is this is some zoomer slang? And people have always (wrongly) attacked those composers-if anything they're easier targets for some
>>
>>123966581
bogposting is an old /classical/ meme inspired by a specific poster
>>
File: 71+Rh+2PBjL._SL1200_[1].jpg (162 KB, 1200x1194)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
now playing

start of String Quartet No. 11 in C Major, Op. 61, B. 121
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8pTBYJuFQ&list=OLAK5uy_mR-XhTjSp4lcIwXg6VKaG91IJxGxePdAA&index=2

start of String Quartet No. 8 in E Major, Op. 80, B. 57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lko6UpaOn2E&list=OLAK5uy_mR-XhTjSp4lcIwXg6VKaG91IJxGxePdAA&index=5

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mR-XhTjSp4lcIwXg6VKaG91IJxGxePdAA
>>
>>123965039
The final movement of Mahler's 3rd sounds like Bruckner at his very best.
>>
>>123966566
stop ban evading pedophile kraut or the gestapo will line you up and execute you for being a dogfucker
>>
File: celibate applause.png (251 KB, 1079x696)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
>applause after every track
>tired pepe.jpg.flac
>>
>>123966760
woof ban evading woof
>>
>>123966783
i’d be tired from celibatedouche alone
>>123966823
yes, that’s you, pedophile kraut. stop ban evading.
>>
>>123966830
I'm actually gonna try his Schumann in a little bit, read a review on another recording that was praising it. Plus slow Schumann sounds like it could be quite interesting.
>>
>>123966878
interesting in the same way that a train derailment is interesting, maybe
>>
>>123966905
Schumann's symphonies get old pretty quick, I'll take anything that spices it up. That's why I prefer Bernstein's cycle over Sawallisch's, even though the latter's is pretty much ideal as far as the standard approach goes, as everyone conducts Schumann that way.
>>
>>123966950
>Schumann's symphonies get old pretty quick
Literal brainlet moment
>>
Is there anything like Stokowski's recording of Brahms' 4th Symphony for Brahms' 2nd and 3rd? Blisteringly fast, basically.
>>
Best recording of Gaspard de la Nuit? Who's the best Ravel interpreter (no hiss or coughing please, this Argerich recordig is ruined by the shitty audience)
>>
>>123967118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkljhmCNqV8
>>
>>123967150
Did you even read my post? Thanks for the effort I guess but I'm not listening to that.
>>
File: 81VBLuWawPL._SL1412_[1].jpg (322 KB, 1412x1400)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>123967118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIBOwg8NGmA&list=OLAK5uy_mMwUDohE_pthaI1HcT1GXji76X1_-tDLY&index=1
>>
>>123967176
lucas debargue then, jeez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3TnVgTcikA
>>
>>123967197
Thank you. Everyone is hyping old, awful recordings of this piece for some reason.
>>
Ravel sucks cock (literally)
>>
>>123967228
Cheers!
>>123967231
Interesting. Does he suck more than you?
>>
>>123967229
The more hiss there is to drown out Ravel's music the better; just kidding, hope you enjoy!
>>
>>123967118
It's impossible to listen to Classical music without coughing
>>
>>123967265
kek
>>
File: sleeping-on-the-desk[1].jpg (147 KB, 1200x1000)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>variations form
>>
>solo piano or solo guitar music
>loud breathing
This is unacceptable why do these records even have listeners
>>
File: 1728669054119192.png (812 KB, 730x727)
812 KB
812 KB PNG
>>123965497
It do be like that sometimes
>>
>>123967357
O_O
>>
File: Ravel.jpg (98 KB, 560x800)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>Ravel commented to Arthur Honegger, one of Les Six, "I've written only one masterpiece – Boléro. Unfortunately there's no music in it."
WDHMBT?
>>
File: mozart mass cleobury.png (760 KB, 629x628)
760 KB
760 KB PNG
now playing

start of Mozart: Missa (solemnis) in C minor, K.139 "Waisenhausmesse"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6Td-OQFP4&list=OLAK5uy_knB81QRh3YMLeCZlwUn78ZqfoWIhhrAOk&index=2

start of Mozart: Mass in C, K.257 "Credo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7A34qlEZd8&list=OLAK5uy_knB81QRh3YMLeCZlwUn78ZqfoWIhhrAOk&index=7

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_knB81QRh3YMLeCZlwUn78ZqfoWIhhrAOk
>>
The more choral music I listen to, the more and more I realize just how far ahead Bach was in terms of his genius and composing ability in that genre.
>>
File: ravel-and-stravinsky.jpg (106 KB, 635x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Craft’s assertions have prompted criticism from some scholars.

In a chapter in “Discoveries,” Craft writes, “Ravel and Stravinsky were, of all artists, the most successful in concealing their sexuality. The two were time-to-time lovers....” He further states that Stravinsky had affairs with composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s eldest son, Andrey, and with the Belgian composer Maurice Delage.
>>
>>123967101
walter’s entire mono brahms cycle is blisteringly fast
>>
>>123967409
I don't believe this quote is real. In case it is, it's just probably Ravel being overly humble.
>>
Ravel - Alborada del gracioso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bqkq0mmFoY&ab_channel=wocomoMUSIC
>>
I feel like I need annotations to listen to Shostakovich's 15th symphony, so many quotations from other composers and works.
>>
>>123967580
ty
>>
File: 3s4dfgh.png (684 KB, 470x664)
684 KB
684 KB PNG
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bdguZEI8Q&ab_channel=EuroArtsChannel
>>
Some general questions for /classical/ anons

>When did you start listening to classical music?
>Are you familiar with the most of standard repertoire/"big" composers?
>Do you prefer exploring new pieces or different recordings more nowdays?
>How much music theory do you understand?

Just curious!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9innP474tko&ab_channel=RichardBobo
>>
File: 71qvAiWP2dL._SL1200_[1].jpg (162 KB, 1200x1200)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
now playing

start of Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 in B flat major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858JzTrwKTc&list=OLAK5uy_kEe5SxKl_SFW26PImoymkS1BSnXVfQrpQ&index=1

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kEe5SxKl_SFW26PImoymkS1BSnXVfQrpQ
>>
>>123967847
at 12
yeah
different recordings
0 as in zero
>>
File: Aerophor 1.jpg (193 KB, 1600x1201)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>
>>123967847
By my own, roughly 2 years ago. I had heard Mozart and Beethoven before obviously.
Far from it, I'm slow.
New pieces for now, but I do both.
I know all the basics and voice leading rules, currently studying counterpoint, but my knowledge is very limited at the moment.
>>
>>123967847
~16/17 but it's been on/off, with some years without since
yes
recordings
Absolute zero. Couldn't tell you what a fugue is, much less identify one.
>>
>>123968117
>Couldn't tell you what a fugue is
Melody, then another melody 5/4/3 tone above and so forth, it's just interweaving of different melodies that sound good together (harmony).
>>
>>123968181
>different melodies
I mean imitative* melodies, but yeah that's the simple definition of a Fugue
>>
>>123968284
>>123968181
Thanks. How does that differ from what they do in sonatas, symphonies, and other works where they do similar melody->variation stuff? Or is that the same, but it's only singular piano works that are called a Fugue?
>>
>>123968347
ChatGPT wrote a better explanation in just a few seconda than I would in few minutes.
1. Subject (Main Melody): The fugue starts with a single melody, called the subject. This is the main theme of the piece.

2. Imitation in Other Voices: After the first voice finishes playing the subject, another voice enters with the same subject, but usually at a different pitch level (often a 5th higher or lower). This process continues as more voices come in, each one playing the subject.

3. Counterpoint: While one voice is introducing the subject, other voices don't stay silent—they continue to play different melodies (called countersubjects or just free counterpoint) that fit well with the subject. These melodies aren't the same, but they harmonize and work together.

4. Development: Once all voices have introduced the subject, the composer starts to develop the material by altering the subject, moving it to different keys, or combining it with new melodies. But the subject always remains important.

5. Harmony Through Melodies: Instead of using traditional chords, the harmonies in a fugue come from the way the different melodies combine. These melodies sound independent, but they fit together beautifully, creating a rich, layered texture.

Aa for Sonatas, they are a completely different form, I'd suggest watching videos to better grasp their structure, or ask GPT
>>
>>123968347
>>123968512
Here's a nice explanation of the fugue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFt7FAxdaBM
>>
Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_CM3DII5qE
>>
File: 4fg6.png (158 KB, 397x579)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
Woman laughing with Contrabassoon edition
>>
Schutz

https://youtu.be/8W-FBE3qDPQ
>>
I'd like to hear more answers to >>123967847 pretty please!
>>
Bach-Malloch Art of Fuguing is not on Rutracker :((
Anyone knows where I can find a torrent for it except for private trackers?
>>
>In the interim, I have acquired performances by Barbirolli, Sherchen, Walter, Leinsdorf, Kubelik, and John Philip Solti.
>John Philip Solti

lol
>>
>>123968512
>>123968607
thanks
>>
File: 61hvv0ktN+L._SL1200_[1].jpg (120 KB, 1200x1051)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
now playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3QHmaL4bWA&list=OLAK5uy_n3zNXd-RDPlhXbRWfRstaZfc2CKoDmb7Y&index=1

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n3zNXd-RDPlhXbRWfRstaZfc2CKoDmb7Y

Also, favorite recordings for Handel's Samson?
>>
File: boulez.jpg (160 KB, 1400x1400)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>(in the interview on CD 13, Boulez expresses his disdain for unpitched percussion in general, considering rhythm and timbre alone to be insufficiently communicative compared to pitched instruments, thus explaining the lack of any surviving Boulez compositions for percussion alone).
Boulez was a conservative.
>>
>>123967847
at 10
yes.
different recordings but I do try to keep up with recent events.
all of it. test me.
>>
What's the most recently composed great symphony?
>>
>>123969900
provide T6 of the following set class in its normal form
8 0 6 3 1
>>
>>123969941
define great.

I would choose Rautavaara's 8th (1999).
>>
>>123969988
lol I debated using a different word. I just mean good in your opinion, not great as in culturally and artistically significant. And thanks, will check it out.
>>
>>123969986

V = p3mns2dt2
>>
>>123970045
i meant convert the set class to normal form and then provide T6, but close enough.
>>
>>123970108
also, its harmonic function is AbV11.
>>
>>123970132
that’s not a harmonic function, that’s just a way of spelling the set as a triadic chord.
>>
>>123970146
and the prime form of its seven-tone projection is 0124679.
>>
>>123970223
what the fuck is a seven tone projection?
>>
>>123970244
when you are writing music in a scale, and you want to add more tones later on without changing the character or sonority of the music it is helpful to know about scale projections.

example - six tone projection of the major triad:

C, D, E, G, G#, B

this scale contains three major triads:

C, E, G
E, G#, B
G, B, D
>>
>>123970347
this has nothing to do with set theory though.
>>
>>123970366
it does and anyone who claims to know set theory should be aware of it. The projection of a scale with less than six tones is equivalent to the transposition of the inverse of its complementary scale.
>>
now playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_5_k2e2cXo
>>
>>123970399
the prime form of the complementary set is 0 1 2 4 5 7 9, so no, whatever transformation process you’re using is not equivalent.
>>
>>123961252
I have been listening to classical since I was a wee lad, but never really paid attention. I like the way it sounds, and the emotions it can evoke. On top of that, I usually stick with the classics...Mozart, Beethoven maybe Chopin or Dvorak if I'm feeling kinky.

I turned on Brahms the other night and holy moly. I feel like I've entered a whole new world of classical music. It doesn't just sound good, but for once in my life I feel like I can hear a story in the music, if that makes any sense. It's incredible - it's like he's taking me on a journey rather than just playing pleasant noise. Hats off to him.

That's all, needed to tell somebody:)
>>
File: 71754.jpg (75 KB, 770x600)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>123970434
no, it's 0124679:

(D, F#, A, C, G) + (A, C#, E, G, D)

= DV11 + AV11

= C, Db, D, E, F#, G, A

= 0 1 2 4 6 7 9

check your working, anon.
>>
>>123970523
that is not how you derive the complementary set you fucking moron. jesus christ, just when i was starting to think you might actually not be a bullshitting idiot.
>>
File: 1728198284318717.jpg (2.65 MB, 4032x3024)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>123970472
It's wild to me that people can go so long without having tried certain composers of the higher echelons. It's special in a way too, don't get me wrong, being able to experience Brahms for the first time and, unsurprisingly, loving it, but such a wild approach to things in the age of the internet, where you can go from reading someone's post about how great Brahms is to looking up critical and historical accounts of his genius to searching up his best and most acclaimed works to finding a highly lauded recording of one of them to downloading or streaming that very one in a matter of minutes.
>>
>>123970540
I was referring to the seven-tone projection of 80631 in prime form and I even explained how to find it in this post here:

>>123970399
>>
>>123970559
and i repeat, it has nothing to do with set theory because nothing in set theory implies any sort of significance to fifths or thirds, and it is obviously unrelated to the prime form of the complementary set. you have forcibly mashed together 2 unrelated concepts and are now trying to pass it off as totally relevant to the former.
>>
>>123970576
apologies. I'm used to using a unified theory.
>>
>>123970612
first time i’ve ever seen you admit to being wrong, pedo kraut. against all odds, you may well be redeemable yet.
>>
>>123970146
Explain to the folks what harmonic function is
>>
File: Tranny Janny.png (208 KB, 1000x1000)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>123970636
I admitted that you're a close-minded goal post shifting autistic piece of shit, TJ.
>>
>>123965752
Yeah, it's one of the reasons I tend to like older pianists playing Brahms' piano works. Those late 19th century / early 20th century pianos all had different and unique sounds by comparison to the homogenous Steinways we all have these days
>>
>>123970663
can't be bothered.
>>
File: IMG_5595.jpg (86 KB, 1108x385)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>123970663
harmonic function implies that there is some sort of functional harmony (ie. tonic dominant relationships) at play, which is obviously not necessarily the case when discussing set theory.
>>123970664
so it’s bullshit to point out that your set class derivation that’s totally irrelevant to set theory is in fact not equivalent to the prime form of the complementary set? lmfaoooo
>>
>>123970713
yes, I combined set theory with harmonic functions theory. so fucking what? I'm used to looking at things from multiple angles.
>>
>>123970744
yeah, except that your combined result is not in fact equivalent to the prime form of the complementary set like you claimed. in other words, you were wrong.
>>
fuck this place. I'm too tired to continue arguing.
>>
>>123970789
That's the beauty of 4chan, you can just stop replying, I do it all the time.
>>
>>123970789
i accept your concession, i’m glad we both agree for once that you were wrong.
>>
brahms
>>
>>123971316
tru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cunuI6DiOqs&list=OLAK5uy_lbRjOVZ6AstREf1JCMP28sL9Ze7HXwfjo&index=9
>>
>>123957023
did annerose schmidt ever receive worthy master for her mozart concertos? i dont like the way berlin classics sound...
>>
>>123970669
>older pianists
As in older recordings?
>>
File: 71T6jFfP4kL._SL1435_[1].jpg (198 KB, 1435x1424)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
now playing

Tsar Boris: Overture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNGMfPR04_c&list=OLAK5uy_kKKvmpLvavePuB3EmQVf-Y_vsYsgYJKwQ&index=2

start of Symphony No. 2 in A Major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3qUwtK6lLk&list=OLAK5uy_kKKvmpLvavePuB3EmQVf-Y_vsYsgYJKwQ&index=3

The Cedar and the Palm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhm787Dwbc&list=OLAK5uy_kKKvmpLvavePuB3EmQVf-Y_vsYsgYJKwQ&index=6

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kKKvmpLvavePuB3EmQVf-Y_vsYsgYJKwQ
>>
>>123972932
Do you have a yt radio station or what
>>
>>123972980
Nah, just like to share on here, maybe spur some discussion, get a reply that someone else liked it too. The secret is I get a small enjoyment out of seeing how neat and formal the post looks, especially with the album cover because people almost never posted album covers when I started browsing here, but don't tell anyone that.
>>
>>123973023
I pay a lot of attention to covers. A good album with a bad cover bothers me. In another thread I talked about making custom covers for live recordings without one, to have something nice (to my tastes) in my collection.
>>
>>123973068
Fully agree. Where are those live recordings coming from anyway that they don't have any cover? Like, don't all official releases have a cover of some kind? Are they bootlegs? Or are the covers just some generic boilerplate and you're replacing it with something custom?
>>
>>123972906
Older recordings usually, yes
There's also some modern recordings which use older pianos and those sound quite nice for Brahms
>>
>>123973132
Well don't tease us, what are they!? I need some variety from Kovacevich and Katchen, great as their Brahms is.
>>
Norman Mahler, Gustav Mailer
>>
File: sleeve2(2).jpg (175 KB, 900x900)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
Plebs, all of you
>>
Anyone play the traverso?
Is there an easy repertoire to play? I was thinking of just playing graded recorder pieces but I'm not sure whether it'd be extremely difficult to transpose
>>
It's taken me a while to finally accept this fact: Brahms' A German Requiem > Beethoven's Missa Solemnis
>>
>>123973285
gayest operas ever only behind Verdi
>>
>>123973705
they don’t even exist in the same universe lol, the missa solemnis is head and shoulders above basically every other choral work in existence.
>>
>>123973776
beethoven faggotry not even once
>>
>>123973779
>beethoven faggotry
you mean like literally every composer who was born after beethoven, including and especially brahms?
>>
>>123973799
no, I mean like being enough of a faggot to think Beethoven's faggy romantic mass is better than even the average real renaissance mass
>>
>>123973815
>he thinks beethoven is a romantic
LMFAO
also yes, beethoven absolutely does a better job of text setting than the renaissance masters, and it’s not like his counterpoint is significantly worse either.
>>
>>123973776
I figured you'd have it about the German Requiem but not even the same universe? That surprises me. Heads and shoulders above Mass in B minor and St Matthew Passion? No way. Better is fine but not that much better.
>>
>>123973776
>>123973848
above*, not about
>>
>>123973848
the mass in b minor is honestly not very good as far as text setting goes. half of the numbers were not even originally written for the text of the mass, the text was imposed over already existing music after the fact. the music is brilliant in spite of it, but that doesn’t change the fact that a mass written exclusively for the text is going to be superior in text setting than one that isn’t.
>>
File: 8op3ke.jpg (54 KB, 576x500)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
can the next thread be a Babbitt edition?

thanks in advance.
>>
>>123973873
it appears the pedophile kraut really has always been into fucking dogs. if only we saw the signs earlier
>>
>>123973880
barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>>123973884
fucking the wrong dog? or is there no wrong dog for you?
>>
>>123973858
That's a decent argument. For me how I rank and compare choral masterpieces is how the amount of blemishes they have; Missa Solemnis, and St Matthew Passion too, might reach the sublime peaks of music more often than Mass in B minor or German Requiem, but it also has a few dull or at least lesser moments, SMP even more so, whereas Mass in B minor and German Requiem are, to my ears, perfect from beginning to end.
>>
>>123973886
not sure what Schenkerianism has to do with /classical/. maybe try >>>/b/ instead?
>>
>>123973918
i don’t hear a single dull moment in the missa solemnis; on the other hand i question whether or not the very pretty music bach wrote for the et spiritum sanctum portion of the credo matches the text in any shape or form. likewise with recycling the same chorus for the gratias agimus tibi and the dona nobis pacem. compare this to the missa solemnis, which, like the renaissance masters, recycled 0 music to a fault, even when it would make sense (the qui tollis in the gloria and the corresponding text in the agnus dei).
i don’t think the brahms requiem should even be in the same discussion because it’s not a setting of a remotely similar text. it’s honestly more at home in a discussion of sacred cantatas and oratorios over settings of actual liturgical text.
>>123973955
not sure what fucking dogs while screwing up set theory has to do with /classical/, maybe try >>>/trash/ instead?
>>
now playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmvX_RVvjk
>>
File: ab67616d000.jpg (173 KB, 640x640)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMJbUSMkj3Y
>>
now playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VobY-bDmzsQ&list=OLAK5uy_lFiUFtL2WbIb3Vclv82_ypeWB3XqdNIC8&index=1

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lFiUFtL2WbIb3Vclv82_ypeWB3XqdNIC8

Scriabin's music wasn't quite hitting the spot tonight, so maybe Faure will instead. His Nocturnes would probably be more appropriate for slowly drifting into sleep but been far too long since I last heard his Barcarolles so here we are.
>>
solo harpsichord sucks so bad
>>
>>123975357
No, it sounds great.
>>
>>123975380
inferior to the piano
>>
>>123975406
No, an alternative to the piano. Dynamics isn't always necessity (e.g. a Fugue) in music. If you are soft-ear boomer who can't appreciate music in heavier, louder forms, it is a (You) problem. Harpsichord is one of the best instruments, with the most unique timbre.
>>
>>123975558
The piano is objectively a superior instrument for virtually everything but the (very rare) keyboard concerti. You cannot clarify the motivic polyphony of a Bach fugue on a harpsichord, nor can you accentuate the myriad thematic contrasts of a Scarlatti sonata on a harpsichord, whereas the dynamically flexible clavichord presents difficulties of intonation and a volume that is utterly unfit for public performances.
>>
>>123975625
>You cannot clarify the motivic polyphony of a Bach fugue on a harpsichord
I guess if you're deaf. Goldberg Variations sound the best on Harpsichord, and most fugues sound good both on harpsichord and piano.
>>
>>123973285
>Bayer Roundfuck
ehe
>>
why did annerose boeck play under the pseudonym annerose schmidt? was it an appeal to jewish owners of recording and mastering studios?
>>
schnittke>>>scriabin>>>bach>>>schoenberg,werbern,berg>>mozart>>>>>>>>all else
>>
>>123976488
Just awful
>>
File: GZn_MPpakAAoszU-1.jpg (169 KB, 1440x1080)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
NEW:
>>123977031
>>123977031
>>123977031
>>
>>123976109
How is Schmidt a Jewish name??
>>
>>123977064
good question! it happens to be a very common last name for germans who are also jews.
>>
>>123977365
Bullshit. Here's some basic facts for you.

Schmidt = blacksmith.
Blacksmiths historically belonged to guilds.
Guilds did not allow Jews to become members.
Hence Schmidt is NOT a common name for Jewish people.
>>
>>123977454
my father once said to me that some people have better insight into the world because their brains are wired in such a way to help them excel. as he was saying this to me he had looked down upon me with great pity. it has been ten years since that encounter and i have grown a fair bit, enough to know what he was trying to tell me. basically it's important to be humble and humiliate yourself for it's the only way that i am able to grow as a person since i lack the essential qualities of which you have so eloquently demonstrated.
>>
>>123977618
Kill yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.