[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Amalgam.png (548 KB, 604x850)
548 KB
548 KB PNG
"Nightmare" Edition

▶Bans (NOW)
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/august-26-2024-banned-and-restricted-announcement

The Week That Was: Where Dreams Become Reality
https://magic.gg/news/the-week-that-was-where-dreams-become-reality

Metagame Mentor: Discussing Pioneer with Bloomburrow
https://magic.gg/news/metagame-mentor-discussing-pioneer-with-bloomburrow

▶Spoilers
http://www.magicspoiler.com/
https://mythicspoiler.com/

CONSTRUCTED RESOURCES
▶Current meta, complete with deck lists
https://www.mtgtop8.com/
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/
▶Build and share casual decks
https://deckstats.net/
https://tappedout.net/

CUBE RESOURCES
▶Build and share Cubes
https://cubecobra.com/landing

CARD RESOURCES
▶Search engines
https://scryfall.com/
https://mtg.wtf/
▶Proxy a deck or a cube for cheap
https://www.makeplayingcards.com/
https://pastebin.com/9Xj1xLdM
▶Play online for free
https://untap.in/
https://dr4ft.info/

▶What is E D H?
https://vocaroo.com/1ihc21gJLBh1
▶Previously:
>>93826218

▶TQ
What is your favorite enchantment creature?
>>
i bought my set of drk ball lightnings
time to play premodern i suppose...
>>
File: $_57.jpg (240 KB, 1146x1600)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>93836600
>TQ
Someday... He will find a home in constructed
>>
Why does every card in duskmourn look like shit
>pic related
I've seen about a million variations of this "screaming sidecut woman" image. Who sees this and thinks it looks good?
Also, the lands look like ai slop.
>>
>>93836669
Keep crying, anon.
>>
>>93836688
I like this card mechanically but the art makes me want to fucking throw up. No emotion. No feeling. No wonder or fear. It's just a guy standing looking determined. Get ready for the marvel set because every card is gonna be some smooth looser staring cooly into the cam- I mean at YOU, the player!
Why can't they just make them all cool wizards instead of pencil neck redditors lmfao.
>>
>>93836724
Wotc managed to make a scary athletic zombie look like a mannequin showing off a clothing line.
It's just nothing. It feels like a Halloween City collab.
>>
File: x41skuhs5fnd1.png (688 KB, 612x850)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
2 mana 3/2 haste with upside, because why not.
>>
File: id3ljrlu9fnd1.png (843 KB, 741x1024)
843 KB
843 KB PNG
And cool art on a card that's probably not that playable?
>>
I'm new to magic. Will I be laughed at for bringing a stock 40k prebuilt deck to a magic night at my flags. Will people think I'm retarded.
>>
Gulp, let me attach Cursed Windbreaker to my Unwanted Vessel so I can avoid that!
>>
>>93836766
My problem with this is more the background. That's a fine point for a sprinter to be posed in mid-stride, but if you try to go down a staircase like that you're going to end up launching yourself and crashing into the bottom.
>>
>>93836809
They'll have to make sure your penis washed but no one should care.

>>93836825
Exactly. It looks like he was just put there. It's the same with the showcase art. If they put more effort into the shit surrounding the characters it would be cool, but it's just nothing. I like the girls face, though, it's cute.
>>
File: Baseball Bat.png (620 KB, 608x852)
620 KB
620 KB PNG
lol
>>
File: ghx0ps7hhfnd1.jpg (87 KB, 572x786)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
The French revealed the rat.
>Menace
Whenever Nashi deals combat damage to a player, mill that many cards. You may put number of legendary cards and/or enchantment cards from among the milled cards into your hand. If you don't, put a +1/+1 counter on Nashi.
Think that's the rules text at least.
>>
>>93836870
"Any number of", my bad.
>>
>>93836870
Is a Ninja... Is good enough?
>>
>>93836724
I feel like half this set is cool eerie creepy artwork and concepts, and the other half is the cheapest pop culture references imaginable. It twists the knife in a way that OTJ and MKM didn't because there's a glimpse of an actual good and imaginative set buried in there.

These recent sets make even theme settings like Theros and Amonkhet look original and fleshed out worlds.
>>
>>93836724
The only problem with this set and the only rightful complain are the SURVIVORS cards. really Duskmourn 2 should focus on all the cool HORROR stuff: Clowns, monsters, even fucking the killers, but the fucking Survivors? Into the trash.
>>
>>93836907
Even the idea of survivors scrapping by in a nightmare house that's intent on torturing them for kicks isn't too bad, but did they REALLY need to be cheerleaders or dressed in modern attire at all
>>
>>93836924
I don't even mind them being 80s-themed to a point, they established that the House does still just have old clothing lying around (Tyvar just picks up a vest in the House), but most of them look too 'normal', or too 'clean'. I get you don't want it to be ALL doom and gloom, but almost every survivor seems like an outsider wandering in with some preparation. Meanwhile, the actual outsiders, the main gang of the crew, all actually fit the world's aesthetic MORE? It's so weird.
>>
>>93836809
Unlikely anyone will care, unless you're trying to play a format other than commander. If you're really worried, just ask around first to see if there's more casual groups.
>>
>>93836887
I was fine with otj because I feel like you can do fantasy stuff set in a 1800s esque world okay. A lot of western movies were ripped from samurai stuff (I know, different time periods than p3k stuff.) If this duskmourn set was more Victorian (I guess like innistrad) I wouldn't mind it.
I don't even specifically mind the TVs or whatever. It's just that the art doesn't remind me of good 80s horror in the slightest. It feels like a stranger things set. Also Ghostbusters is a comedy movie, not horror.

>>93836907
>>93836924
That too. Every human in this set looks fucking gay lmao. The plane doesn't feel dangerous it feels like a haunted house ride.
>>
>>93836793
It's a shittier unburial rites, of course it's not playable.
>>
>>93836793
It's a 4 mana reanimation spell, it will be probably good enough in standard to reanimate Atraxa.
>>
>>93836669
It's all the 80's shit thrown into a fantasy game that sucks. Most of the art from the set that doesn't feature any of Wizard's hard push out of fantasy looks pretty normal.
>>
>>93836961
>The set explicitly based on 80s horror has 80s elements in it
I have my issues with the execution, and the incongruency of some of the cards when contrasted against how the setting is presented, but the mere existence of the 80s elements doesn't bother me.
>>
>>93836942
I'd go even further and say that OTJ is similar to sets like p3k in being non European fantasy. I feel like cowboys and the wild west is coming from a similar Tolkien-like desire to mythologize your country.
>>
>>93836965
It's exactly the 80's shit that bothers me and I'm old enough that I grew up with that stuff and loved it back then. But shit like this >>93836724 looks so fucking out of place in Magic it's insane. You may as well have fucking Gandalf driving a Tesla truck in the lord of the rings.
>>
File: vengefulpossession.jpg (47 KB, 265x370)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Act of treason but it also discard and draw because why not at this point.
>>
File: housecartographer.jpg (58 KB, 265x370)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Odd that this doesn't let you just search for a basic like these usually do.
>>
>>93836965
I think the problem is not so much the existence of 80s elements but how tacked on they feel. This plane is a malevolent haunted house, a concept which doesn't really necessitate an 80s aesthetics at all, and this 80s aesthetic as executed does nothing to compliment the theme. So instead of feeling like an organic addition/trait of the plane, it feels like something stapled on it by the market research people.
>>
lore-wise, is valgavoth fusing with duskmourn basically the same thing as yawgmoth fusing with old phyrexia?
>>
>>93836870
Goes great in my Jodah deck!
>>
>>93836991
Exactly. Everything just feels like nothing. It's like vaporwave in the current year. The 80s fell back out. Maybe they'll try to release duskmourne remastered in 2060 to ride the 3rd wave.
>>
>>93837005
I don't think he fused with the plane rather he consumed it. Valgavoth grows larger each time he molts so eventually the house grew large enough to cover the whole plane.
>>
>>93836907
>Duskmourn 2
Duskmourn is going to be mid, is going to pull disappointing revenue, and especially on the heels of Bloomburrow the execs are going to mandate cutesy stuff for the next five years. They're probably already yelling at the art director to have the Tangle Tumbler and Rolling Hamsphere edited into art pieces for the Death Race set
>>
>>93836866
>Fucking Baseball Bat
>Actual earth Baseball
>BASEBALL, THE SPORT is confirmed to be inside MTG canon
>No, not in UB, the ACTUAL MTG canon.
Fucking FUCK OFF HOLY FUCK YOU RETARDED LOSERS STOP BUTCHERING THE IP IT'S ALREADY FUCKING DEAD
>>
>>93836866
I like how half of all Equipments just have "When ~ enters (where?), attach it...." I guess just because losing tempo to play an Equipment (You know, the defining feature that differentiates Equipment's persistent value from an Aura's high-risk power) is just not acceptable anymore.
>>
>>93837031
So it's a house made of molted skin and decay and death and everyone was able to find clothes from Old Navy?
>>
>>93836975
>"Let's take a thing, and power creep it, and make its flavor more boring."
nuMagic design in a nutshell:
>>
>>93837067
>and everyone was able to find clothes from Old Navy?
Something something Valgavoth wants the survivors to be comfy and looking funky fresh because something something fear and stuff something something stop asking questions, just consume product then get excited for next product
>>
>>93837074
Valvagoth provides them food, why not clothes?
>>
File: y.gif (428 KB, 200x183)
428 KB
428 KB GIF
>>93837083
Why not trap them all in eternal terror breeding puts, and force them to impregnate each other to sustain their bloodlines while sustaining himself indefinitely instead of giving them the freedom to potentially fight back and defeat him?
Mysteries of the multiverse.
>>
>>93837074
Good thing I found some knee length spats so these zombies can't see my pussy when I twirl around. Every 80s cheerleader worried about that kind of stuff!

>>93837083
Volgoth got a deal at Macy's. He should go to wetzels pretzels across the epic neon 80s mall.
>>
>>93837074
>Valgavoth wants the survivors to be comfy and looking funky fresh
Truly, he is the BBEG of all time.
>>
>>93837099
fear of rape
>>
File: yuiiiii.jpg (99 KB, 566x566)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>93837101
The safety shorts really fucked me up. Like, total flashbang stunlock shit when I saw them.

Dancer "safety shorts" are a fucking K-pop innovation from the year literally right fucking now Literally the modern era. They did not exist prior to, like, 2011. They have so little place in an 80s-inspired setting, let alone the ridiculous logic hoops you have to jump through to explain why Valgavoth would be providing survivors with special shorts made to prevent people from seeing cheerleader hoochie during a backflip. Or provide them clothes at all!? The FUCK is am omnipowerful evil demon doing playing fucking nanny to a bunch of idiots?

Absolute fucking retards are in charge of this game.
>>
>>93837142
Valgavoth is many things but a misogynist he is not.
>>
>>93837099
Not allowed to reference shit like Descent, only goofy creature features
>>
>>93837142
>let alone the ridiculous logic hoops you have to jump through to explain why Valgavoth would be providing survivors with special shorts made to prevent people from seeing cheerleader hoochie during a backflip
You know, it's because- like,
he wants them to be reminded that, you know, fear and stuff
that without safety shorts they'd uh, he'd be able to see them while they're backflipping over zombies
so that, you know, they're reminded of like... what.... could have been... without them.... yeah... makes perfect sense.
>>
>>93837064
Every equipment gets one freebie nowadays
>>
>>93836870
>no ninjutsu
THEN WHATS THE FUCKING POINT
>>
>>93837142
I remember wearing similar tights to those for baseball. It had a slot for a cup but I liked them because it stopped my nuts and dick from free balling. I had a friend get testicular yortion and he swore by them after he get them untwisted.
>>
>>93837146
Fear of Upsetting Women
>>
>>93837172
Sports shorts have been all the rage, but "Safety shorts" for dancers and cheerleaders are explicitly modern.
They started popping up when K-pop companies wanted to attract western audiences by dressing their dancers like westerners (whores) but also wanted to pretend they still had dignity.

The absurdity of introducing safety shorts for cheerleaders to a 1980s inspired horror setting in a grand fantasy multiverse is so many layers of absurdity that it is impossible to fully describe how many retarded things have to pile on top of each for it to even potentially happen.

But I can try to describe it.
The writers and designers of MTG are some of the most incompetent, untalented morons that have ever cursed the Earth with their existence.
>>
>>93837099
Maybe he's bored and a wants some entertainment.
>>
>>93837201
No I agree entirely I guess I was trying to say I don't understand why a girl would wear them except to cover up. Girls don't have dicks or nuts so they can wear looser clothes when doing gymnastics. If I was a gymnast I'd want my shit wrapped tight.
>>
>>93837211
>Maybe he's bored and a wants some entertainment.
Then he can go watch some Television.
It literally exists in the setting.
>>
Fear of Good Writing
>>
>>93837211
That's actually a good reason I guess the whole set can look like it was made for people who literally have down syndrome.
>>
>>93837216
But he can watch TV and make his own snuff films.
>>
Fear of Getting Assraped
>>
File: 1694991675346486.jpg (108 KB, 631x480)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Duskmourn is a setting built entirely of retardation and contrivance.
It is easily the worst worldbuilding I have seen in my entire life.
>>
>>93837099
Broken people don't have fear. They just feel nothing. Giving them a bit of hope means they don't lose their ability to feel anything.
>>
>>93837247
Impressive to think they one-uped Ikoria.
>>
>>93837262
Yes, yes, yes, I've heard the stupid ass fucking retarded contrivance handwave bullshit shill excuse like twenty times now. Fuck off, will you, the setting is shit, Valgavoth is a retard and no amount of contrivance or excuse will make this garbage acceptable.
It is bad writing. It is terrible worldbuilding. It is inexcusable for a company of this size to produce such unfettered rectal spray.
>>
>cast break out, putting fauna shaman into play with haste
>activate fauna shaman, discarding another fauna shaman, getting voja
>plot cunning coyote

I'm so fucking ready for foundations give me my fucking llanowar elves already
>>
>>93837281
Maybe the torture demon just enjoys seeing people's hope crushed. He was originally one of those Faustian bargain style demons, so it's easy to see why he might enjoy giving people some hope just to crush it. It's a very, very common trend for demons to find that kind of torment more fun than just plain old physical torture.
>>
>>93837035
If we revisited Kamigawa and Innistrad you can be sure we will come again to this shit and what's worse even sooner than the furry fantasy because unlike that cute but weak trash some of the cards in this slop will completely assrape some formats and warp the decks around them.
>>
>>93837069
Shocking Revelation {R}
Instant
Shocking Revelation deals 2 damage to any target. Draw a card, then discard a card.

Strike Gold {1R}
Instant
Choose one:
Strike Gold deals 3 damage to any target
Create a treasure token
Destroy target artifact
>>
>>93837318
>Maybe
Maybe maybe maybe maybe this maybe that maybe maybe what about what if maybe maybe maybe IT'S FUCKING SHIT MATE
STOP TRYING TO EXCUSE IT
>>
>>93836975
Is this better than Furnace Reins?
>>
>>93836975
>>93837069
They've done like a dozen powercrept Threaten clones, are you retarded or have you just not played the game since 2010?
>>
>>93837341
>"Bro they already made this mistake already, it's okay for them to make it again.*
Eat shit.
>>
>>93837318
Okay but when does the torment start? It seems like people are just getting spooked. Where's the death? Where's the pain? Scary Clowns aren't scary if they just blow balloons, they're just clowns.
>>
>>93837328
How about you stop being a fucking retard for five minutes and think about why your complaint is a complete nonissue. You are literally too stupid to comprehend the villain's extremely simple and basic motivation and think it's a plothole.
>>
Is this the worst set since Strixhaven
>>
>>93837349
The Fears are the sort of endpoint, the people end up giving into their terror and getting absorbed by the nightmares, becoming part of it. Those floating ghostly heads the Fears have are people they've absorbed.
>>
>>93837355
No, that's either Karlov Manor or Thunder Junction.
>>
>>93837351
>You are literally too stupid to comprehend the villain's extremely simple and basic motivation and think it's a plothole.

>"Hi, I'm Pennywise the Clown."
>"I feed off fear."
>"In order to get fear, I feed and clothe my victims, give them shelter and even protect them from the male gaze."
Yeah, it's simple alright. Simply fucking retarded.
>>
>>93837359
Or, alternatively, they become corrupted and broken into becoming Razorkin, transformed into Wickerfolk, brutally murdered by a Cellarspawn, etc.
>>
>>93837330
is discard/draw with no madness freebie better than a treasure token?
no
absolutely not
its badloot (worth less than 1 mana) vs treasure (worth 2 mana)
>>
>>93837355
Not even close lmao this anon got the right answers >>93837362
>>
>>93837359
Okay. So the evil voldemort guy makes people go to the dentist so much they explode?
>>
>>93837355
Karlov Manor is hard to beat for that prize.
Definitely the worst since MKM though.
Blatant, unapologetic power creep. Abysmal worldbuilding. BBEG is total nonsense and built entirely of handwaves and contrivances. Cringe flavor that makes no sense in the context of MTG (At least they pretended to try with NEO, SNC and OTJ)
>>
>>93837362
except Karlov Manor was filled with playable pushed cards

the design of all three sets is equally bad. Nuclue // Cowboys vs (censored) // GHOSTBUSTARHYME
OTJ had a bunch of obvious design fuckups and mechanically the set was unbelievably bloated with "cheat card into play" effects, like 20+ of them

DSK looks like the intersection of god awful cards and god awful design. I mean holy shit imagine cracking a pack and opening a 2/4 vanilla for 2G as your rare slot. Its a spined karok
>>
>>93837384
>So the evil voldemort guy makes people go to the dentist so much they explode?

>OooOOOooOOOoooOOOoooOO! I'm giving you free candy that isn't poison, with no strings attached.
>...but if you eat it your teeEEeeEEeth might rot!
Truly a villain of the ages.
>>
>>93837320
>some of the cards in this slop will completely assrape some formats and warp the decks around them.
For example? Besides the Red Leyline this set seems rather weak for me...
>>
>>93837384
Does he give everyone else a cool new Ghostbusters toy but then excludes another? And then that guy tard rages into a beastie?
>>
>>93837399
Really funny considering the Pinkerton thing.
>>
>"Hey what do we do for our haunted house set?"
>"Shit we need a good idea"
>"I got it! How about we do the laziest thing possible, just google a list of common phobias and name half the creatures in the set based on them."
>"No no, not like actually giving them cool names based off the fear. Literally just calling half the creatures in the set 'Fear of..'. something."
>>
>>93837397
Yeah one or two obvious design mistakes does not a strong set make
Homelands had merchant scroll

Every single eerie card, every single delirium card, every single room = unplayable
13 life land cycle = unplayable
big x enchantments = unplayable
demons = unplayable
every legendary = unplayable
a lot of cards where we already have better versions
>drag to the roots < tear asunder
>cursed windbreaker < cryptic coat
>screaming nemesis < goddric, squee, etc

Hell the best things coming out of this set are reprints and sweepers. Split up, pyroclasm, ethereal armor, etc. People will play turn inside out just because its a worse titan's strength in a broken deck.
The few combo cards they printed like balloon man and hedge shredder are carefully calibrated to be unplayable in their entire standard rotation, so who cares if hedron crab exists in other formats
>>
>>93837384
>why did they make a Nightmare creature based off of one of the most common recurring nightmares?
Truly a mystery for the ages.
>>
File: 1242134678.jpg (37 KB, 640x480)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>93837434
>Every single eerie card, every single delirium card, every single room = unplayable
>13 life land cycle = unplayable
>big x enchantments = unplayable
>demons = unplayable
>every legendary = unplayable
Don't you mean, unplayable
outside of EDH?
>>
>>93837384
I think this set is a great example of just how far quality has declined since the golden age.

Compare the designs and art of the "Fear of..." creatures to the "Kami of..." suite from original CHK block. It's staggering how much more unsettling and strange the original Kami were, compared to these things which they seem to intentionally be trying to make as scary and weird as possible.
>>
>>93837441
Pretty sure he means unplayable in EDH, you're absolutely fucking insane if you think the 13 life cards are going to see any play in EDH outside of new players using ultra budget jankpiles they cobble together from draft chaff.
>>
>>93837459
>Pretty sure he means unplayable in EDH, you're absolutely fucking insane if you think the 13 life cards are going to see any play in EDH outside of new players using ultra budget jankpiles they cobble together from draft chaff.
"Goes great in my Licia, Sanguine Tribune suicide tribal Commander deck!"
>>
>>93837439
That's my point. no one would like having their teeth removed. Who is going to the dentist like "oh boy can't wait to have bones removed."
It's nothing. It's such a a specific and non unique thing that it's just nothing. If anything they should of called it whatever the Latin -phobia word would be.
It's just so non grandiose that it's like having a creature in OTJ called "Cowboy with Hat."
>>
>>93837488
>bones
you goofed
>>
>>93837488
The "dream where you lose your teeth" isn't usually dentist-related. It's more just your teeth falling out for some reason. It's a recurring nightmare for quite a few people.
>>
>>93837386
>I mean holy shit imagine cracking a pack and opening a 2/4 vanilla for 2G as your rare slot.
have you drafted anytime lately, like half the rares are so narrowly designed for EDH they might as well be vanilla creatures.
>>
>>93837347
You are retarded.
Threaten is not a good card. Just like Cancel is not a good card. Tacking on a cheap upside is a good way to boost effects that aren't powerful enough to a more playable level. Unless you were bitching when they printed Dissipate into standard in Innistrad after printing Cancel in Time Spiral, you shouldn't be bitching now because Threaten is outdone by Mark of Mutiny or Traitorous Blood or whatever.
>>
>>93837488
Having your teeth fall out is (allegedly) one of the most common nightmares to have, even in places that don't have dentists and in times before dentists were commonplace. It really doesn't have much, if anything, to do with dentists.
>>
>>93837512
>"It's a bad idea but it won't hurt anyone so let's do it anyway!"
Eat shit.
>>
>>93837499
Even then. If there a billion of these "Fear of" cards sure. But I don't think we're gonna see too many more. I'm thinking that they're thinking too small.
Why not "Fear of Loss" ww 2/2 with "tap to give another creature indestructible"
I dunno. It feels like they're intentionally leaving a very boring design space open instead of preemptively filling it with a few unique and interesting cards.
A b 1/1 with that affect is not interesting at all and isn't unique.
>>
File: avr-15-defang.jpg (141 KB, 672x936)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
who else has had a dream in which their teeth crumbled in their mouth and had to spit them like gravel?
>>
>>93837546
I once had a dream where I could spit my teeth at people like a machine gun and went on a rampage in the city until I was stopped by Cap Man, a superhero who could throw bottlecaps at people.

Your dream sounds cool too I guess.
>>
>>93837521
My recurring dream about losing teeth was always about being hit in the mouth with a crowbar
>>
File: unh-109-shoe-tree.jpg (316 KB, 672x936)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>93837575
>>93837575
it was more like a nightmare, and a recurring one at that

what about losing your shoes? I had several of those too
>>
File: 1577188879253.jpg (89 KB, 640x551)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Fear of FIRE
All your on enter effects trigger on cast.
when a creature enters the battlefield you gain 3 life and draw a card
landfall: if you control 8 or lands, create a 2/2
Escape: 2 G U
3/4 Flying
>>
>>93837619
I had a dream where I saw your mom walking down the street with 1 shoe on. I asked her if she lost one and she said "nope, just found one."
>>
This doesn't even look like a good limited set
>>
The virgin "this set looks like trash" vs the Chad "this set might make Ninjas viable in Pioneer so I'm excited for it"
>>
File: 1724418697665934.png (2.22 MB, 1500x1046)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
Posting some /ccg/ designs from last thread.
>>
>>93837057
in-universe mtg is ub now dontcha know. and why shouldn't it? it's the same as making commander cards in every set because there are slots that will never see play anywhere else anyway. why not do something when you might as well?
>>
>>93837262
how would you know, mr. nosewater??
>>
This thread is so bad at Magic thinking this set is actually weak i can't grasp if people here actually play this game. But don't worry i will remind you all this in October after this set impact.
>>
File: fearofbeinghunted.jpg (53 KB, 265x370)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I thought this was a green effect.
>>
>>93836866
this is just awful, probably the worst non-gimmick equipment we've had for years,
even if you want to compare it to the baseline of equipment (1 drop, +1/+1, equip 1), its bad, but then it has a shit ton of downsides with relatively minor upsides, why is it gw?
>>
>>93837819
>Equips itself for free on etb
>Tapped creature does not need to be controlled by you, makes it harder to block
It's still not good by any means, but it's not really riddled with drawbacks beyond being stupidly overcosted.
>>
File: otj-35-thunder-lasso.jpg (141 KB, 672x936)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>93837819
Tapping a creature on attack is good enough to justify the cost, especially in this set where you could potentially use it to enable survivors.
>>
Uuuuh
>>
>>93837819
it's GW because the GW limited archetype is survival and this is the signpost uncommon.
So you pump your survivor with this and then either tap your opponent's creature so you can swing in safely or a survivor you just played so you can trigger the survival effect.
It's stupid and totally could have just been 1W or something.
>>
>>93837966
>there are worse things here than vampires
>black
OOOOF
>>
>>93837966
WDTMBT
>>
i just want to play a fair and fun deck and with each new set that seems very far away...
>>
File: fearoffalling.jpg (51 KB, 265x370)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>
>>93838016
I like most of the fear of cards. they have some good flavor and neat art. too bad the rest of the set is mostly cringy af
>>
File: 1552320464868.jpg (262 KB, 938x962)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>93837987
That card should have been on innistrad, as it is lovecraftian horror.
>>
>>93837966
>>93837987
>>93837996
look at the way he's dressed. he's a survivor
>>
>>93838075
nice damage control
>>
>>93838075
Oh now we call joggers "survivors"?
>>
What's a proxy printing service that ships inside the UK for cheap?
>>
I think before weird evil magitech bound Valgavoth to a physical form and it became a demon, it used to be a native lifeform of the Blind Eternities
>>
>>93837537
Why is it a bad idea?
Why should the power of threaten effects be eternally tied to an unplayable card that was never good in the first place?
>>
i hate delirium
the mechanic just does not feel good without fetchlands
>>
https://shein.co.uk/56-PCS-Blue-Core-Magic-The-Gathering--MTG-Proxy-Cards-p-35940453.html

Okay
>>
>>93838218
>trade an Enchantment Creature in combat
>play an instant OR sorcery
>manifest dread, or surveil, or mill, or loot a land into your graveyard
You're going to be fine
>>
I'm reaching my limit bros i literally can't play against Red anymore i never tought i would get so tired of something besides UW control but now everytime i see a mountain, specially on turn 1 i just don't wanna play.
>>
>>93838239
Why Shein? I could go to a local print shop and make cards for my cube, and the only reason they'd be recognizable would be that the print quality is too good
>>
>>93838407
I have no idea, why, im very confused as to why a place my wife buys cheap shirts from is selling fake mtg
>>
>>93837031
>>93837005
It's basically exponential growth. Val started by imprisoning four people, which gave him enough strength to expand the house and catch eight people, and so on and so forth until the entire plan was sealed inside the House. There's a story set in the final piece of land Val got around to absorbing and the house is described as just a mass of building materials and windows that slowly grows around the trees.
>>
File: 1725747162815.jpg (154 KB, 672x936)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>93837351
>How DARE you have standards for yourself
>The ONLY reason you wont buy the quality slop is because you are STUPID
>>
File: 1725746802929.jpg (40 KB, 586x720)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>93837119
>>
>>93838495
It's fine to hate Duskmourn. I hate Duskmourn too. You're just a retard, regardless of whether or not you hate it.
>>
>>93837101
>>93836866
>cheerleader
>baseball

what the fuck is going on
>>
>>93838584
I know, it should have been a cricket bat so that the natives of the plane Duskmourn devoured would seem more fantastical. Just something you would never see in the real world
>>
File: 1725748615488.jpg (209 KB, 672x936)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>93838581
Yet your failing around in a vain attempt to play damage control for bad writing, all for people who despise you. Who else would be such a useful idiot?
>>
>>93836866
>Baseball Bat
>with nails
>in a standard legal magic the gathering set
I just realized how much money I've spent on this game over the last 15 years and I'm getting physically ill.
>>
>>93836600
>TQ
Heliod, Sun-Crowned. Walking Ballista's BFF.
>>
>>93838743
Unban when?
In fact when are we getting new unbans?
>>
>>93838725
Part of being correct is being correct for the right reasons. When a retard comes to a correct conclusion for inane retard reasons he makes everyone else who came to that conclusion for logical reasons look like a retard. Gate keeping is an important part of maintaining a standard of quality, and your retarded nonsense complaints make the genuine complaints against Duskmourn look weaker by association.
>>
File: Amidala.png (145 KB, 346x287)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>93838739

but you do have other hobbies and interests and you've been supporting niche ccgs to promote healthy market dynamics, right anon?
>>
>>93837966
Some motherfucker's always trying to ice skate uphill.
>>
>>93838171
Bro just call up some local print shop and ask if they can print some cardboard for you it's that simple.
>>
>>93838807
>you do have other hobbies and interests
Yes
>you've been supporting niche ccgs to promote healthy market dynamics, right anon?
No :(
>>
>>93838807
I hate card games. I play magic in spite of it being a card game. No other card game is fun.
>>
File: bbbb.jpg (55 KB, 626x626)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
so duskmourn has Split Up and the new rare dual lands? that's it?

how many rares left to spoil?
>>
>>93838864
1 mythic that's not in an already-known cycle, I think.
>>
>>93838877
I guess I forgot the green Overlord. Domain might want that.
>>
File: file.png (90 KB, 1366x647)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
seriously this shit is gamechanging
>>
>>93838218
good thing they reprinted fabled passage, then
>>
>>93838827
what if they call the pinkertons
>>
>someone at draft night tried to correct me for saying “lizard tribal”
>>
>>93838916
and you said "oh, ok, sorry".
>>
>>93838916
Who first raised a stink about tribal anyway? It certainly wasn’t an Indian. Do you expect me to believe the Chumash took up arms at WOTC’s offices? They’re too busy actually rebuilding their identity and setting up museums. Was there an unprecedented “fuck it one struggle” moment full of newfound camaraderie between Crow and Blackfeet groups to ensure all internal materials limited the discussion of decks about goblins and faeries to KINDRED?
>>
>>93836975
Red's card selection has become absurd. Every card seems to have that looting effect now
>>
>>93838929
Would probably be better for my continued social health at this store if I had done so, I can tell the regulars are starting to get tired of me going against the grain.
>>
>>93836975
>>93837069
>>93838941
They’ve done this for years and it almost never ends up being anything more than draft chaff
>>
>>93838916
I will never use typal or kind or whatever they want me to use.
For me Merfolk decks, Human decks, Mouse decks, Vampire decks will always be TRIBAL decks, and suck my cock if you disagree.
>>
Delirium will never be a good mechanic, change my mind.
>>
>>93837281
>anon gets filtered by a premise stolen from Dead By Daylight, of all things
>>
>>93838984
at the end of my untap step I sac LED for GGG discarding my hand, tap shifting woodland for G, activate shifting woodland targeting divine intervention, and begin my upkeep. record a draw.

game 2?
>>
>>93838999
Stifle
>>
File: 1705340237063405.jpg (143 KB, 1978x841)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
Are you rooting for /ourguy/ king_of_fae? Aka Alex Bertoncini who is permanantly banned from DCI sanctioned events. The winner of this event goes to Las Vegas for the live vintage cube draft.

>>93838916
Just don't acknowledge anything like this. It's more insulting to them if you don't react at all.
>>
>>93839134
Immensely funny that he won the qualifier before this and they’re just letting him play
>>
>>93839134

is this the one for the real cards?
>>
>>93839257
Yes, yes live cube draft is vintage cube with real cards and the 8 players that qualify by going through an arduous and convoluted qualification process on MTGO draft at Magiccon Las Vegas and get to keep what they draft. Obviously, that includes the power 9, duals etc.

>>93839145
While I don't support cheating or whatever, I don't think there's any reason he shouldn't be allowed to play. Moreover given that there's no central organization managing bans etc, they don't have ground to arbitrarily bar him from playing, although I'm sure something in the terms and conditions will allow them to disqualify anyone at any time without giving a reason.
>>
>>93839386
I mean I don’t really care if he plays but I’m curious what his endgame is since he’s obviously not gonna be allowed to play the final in-person draft.
Presumably he scoops if he’s down to the last 2 and just cashes out the mh3 sets?
>>
>>93839386
I don't think he should play in paper if he wins. He should be allowed to play in MTGO, however.
>>
i only really played sneak and show or reanimator and i got back into mtg lately because a nearby lgs is attempting to revive legacy in our area with monthlies and i'm having fun playing dnt. kinda wish i played this deck sooner
>>
>>93839573
Good for you Anon but how do you feel about the word Tribal?
>>
File: lizard tribal.jpg (442 KB, 1024x1024)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
>>93838916
>>
>>93837537
Suck my dick and answer the question nigger. Were you complaining about Dissipate when it was printed into Innistrad? Or Dissolve in Theros?
>>
>>93837057
I know man I know.

If it was a better world MaRo would have been politely asked to retire or never allowed to lead another set. It's gotten to the point where any positive praise of the man invites my total and utter disdain. Fucking detective mystery in Ravnica, it's like it's the fucking 70s or something. I mean, if it was a Boros kicking down a door, an Azorius freezing the room, and an Orzhov torturing confessions out of everyone okay, but it wasn't.

You know what bothers me, the fact there are nails in it. If you don't hit the thing at the right angle the force of your swing won't be fully transferred to the nail. You're always going to do more damage with a plain bat.

I don't even understand how sport, let alone baseball and cheerleaders can come to exist on this plane. The plane is the house, how can anybody possibly find time to fuck and procreate let alone find recreation when every single fucking waking moment is worrying about your survival. There's no agriculture, no manufacturing, no industry. Like is this demon overlord just generating "power ups" like it's a fucking video game. And it's not like it's a demon from our world, it is inventing clowns, dolls, satellite dish ray guns, and baseball from it's own imagination. I know these are questions that MaRo did not ask and so they were not answered.
>>
>>93837452
they used to hire talented artists, the kithkin block has some of the best art ive ever seen from a tcg.
>>
>>93837057
umm it has green lightning on it that makes it fantasy
>>
>>93839796
it could literally just say

>Auras you control have "You control enchanted creature"
that's all it would take
it would revert control when eriette dies OR the aura is removed
that's a reasonable payoff for a high price creature that needs extra steps
>>
>>93836669
>>93836688
>>93836724
>>93836942
>>93837101
>>93837201
>>93837384
>>93839713
It's the leftovers of the Walking Dead Secret Lair repurposed.
>>
>>93839713
you don't understand how businesses work if you think maro getting replaced would change anything, he's the fall guy
>>
>>93839802
Sorry I deleted the post to make a correction.

Yes you're right. Just make it say "Auras you control have 'You control enchanted permanent'".
>>
>>93836942
ghostbusters one had some great horror scenes. It’s what’s missing from the new ghostbusters
>>
>>93837399
Ha. They actually made FOMO. Surprised it's not a little more... "on brand"?
>>
>>93836866
The demonic roundtable discussion:
A. So I'm thinking about giving the victims easier access to a club, rather than making them go through the effort of ripping off pieces of the walls and furniture, dulling their bladed implements, and getting splinters. I am imagining a finely turned piece of tree with a water resistant finish and a comfortable handle that I will leave scattered around.
B. We have this problem every time we introduce a tool that so obviously cannot be made by human hands. Don't you remember what happened with the "gun" or "clothing", how they thought it was just another trap for decades after they shot themselves or that the "clothing" was always placed in a piece of furniture that we have frequently disguised as teethy creations?
A. Yes yes but they adopted it eventually once we made the gun no longer work on each other. And they're so happy when they find them. Remember when we gave them knives, and then scissors, the cutting ease was magical to them.
B. I don't understand your preoccupation with providing convenience so easily. When we gave them the "hockey stick" you felt like it's reliable structure was balanced by its uselessness in combat and need to graft on knives. What you're suggesting now is an object of pure convenience, no crafting or adjustment necessary.
A. You bring up a good point, perhaps we should put nails in this club to make it obnoxious to carry around. To seed inspiration for when I introduce this new thing I call a "hammer" useful for removing nails from clubs AND putting nails into objects to make furniture.
B. You are an artist as ever.
>>
>>93839975
You realise that most of the gear and equipment is from before the House took over the plane, right?
>>
>>93837452
>Kamigawa
>golden age
Kamigawa was not well received.
>>
>>93840004
Mirrodin/Kamigawa was the closest this game ever came to dying. Kamigawa's flavour was great, but they overcorrected the power level after the entire Mirrodin meta was Affinity and decks trying to beat Affinity.
>>
>>93840004
>MaRo and his lies.
Mirrodin breaking every format culled 80% of the game's playerbase. They didn't come back until well into Ravnica block.
Players during the time almost universally recall CHK as one of the best,. if not the best draft environments ever. (The later sets in the block would ruin that, but the point remains.) And after it, CHK block was considered an integral piece of the legendary CHK-RGD-TSP "standard" that everyone around at the time remembers as glorious to this day.
MaRo & Co. blame Kamigawa cards having weird names and the lore being foreign for it being one of the worst selling blocks.
>>
>>93839984
So you're saying catcher armor and faceguards exist and nobody is wearing it and depending on their sick DEX stats and acrobatics to avoid becoming zombie chew toys?

>>93840004
It doesn't fucking matter that it wasn't well received. I don't think anybody who fucking got mad about how shit Kamigawa was back then could have possibly imagined how completely more shit the aesthetics have become.

BASEBALL. BASE BALL. If you told every single person bitching about Kamigawa that baseball would be their future and there was no way of avoiding it, they would shut the fuck up.
>>
>>93840004
Mirrodin nuking the game was why Kamigawa didn't sell well.
Everybody who stuck around to actually play it loves Kamigawa block. GOAT lore, GOAT art, GOAT limited, GOAT standard. Nobody who actually played Kamigawa dislikes Kamigawa, except people who got roflstomped by Descendant of Kiyomaro in draft. (And frankly, that's a skill issue)
>>
File: 1678502282241192.jpg (2.72 MB, 3024x4032)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
WELCOME TO MAGIC: THE GATHERING, FELLOW BASEBALL FAN
WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR HOTDOG WITH KETCHUP AND MUSTARD?
>>
>>93840028
waaaah the multiverse of infinite potential has THING I DONT LIKE how could this be happening I WANT DOMINARIA AND DOMINARIA2 AND DOMINARIA3 power armor is okay though because that was on dominaria BUT A NAILBAT IS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE
>>
File: 1696388760598518.jpg (161 KB, 800x839)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
All they had to do was make it kind of look like a baseball bat and call it "Sports club" or something. That specific name would even be a stupid pun, which they love so much.

Fucking Baseball. A fucking Baseball bat.
Literal Baseball is in in MTG canon.
The Red Sox are MTG canon.
>>
>>93840024
>CHK block was considered an integral piece of the legendary CHK-RGD-TSP "standard" that everyone around at the time remembers as glorious to this day.
What did Kamigawa contribute to it besides Ghost Dad (meme deck)?
>>
>>93840058
>waaaah the multiverse of infinite potential has THING I DONT LIKE
I like Baseball.
I do not like Baseball, the sport largely enjoyed by modern American and Japanese audiences, with rules established well into the literal real world Earth 1800s,, being confirmed as a real actual game within the MTG canon.

It's not even a simple game like Soccer or some shit. Baseball, as a sport, is beyond esoteric and extremely real-world entrenched. Get that shit out of my fucking game.
>>
>>93840058
okay i add fart goblins from the domain of shit, and dragons in this plane breathe piss everywhere and have modern computers that allow them to access multiversal porn, anything can happen in a multiverse, so these are now canon too
>>
Folks, today we are witnessing what the youths of today call a "Crashout"
>>
File: sok-9-enduring-ideal.jpg (229 KB, 672x936)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>93840068
>What did Kamigawa contribute to it besides Ghost Dad (meme deck)?
Pic was a fun control deck in the format.
>>
>>93840058
>waaaah the multiverse of infinite potential has THING I DONT LIKE
Infinite multiverse?
Cool. Where are the TITS & ASS my guy? Surely if it's infinite, it'd have some TITS & ASS right?
I mean, if they have Baseball and literal fucking televisions, surely the infinite multiverse has OnlyFans. It just makes sense, it's infinite after all.
>>
File: remember when.jpg (553 KB, 1338x911)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
FIRE is a fucking travesty
>>
Baseball...
>>
>>93840028
>So you're saying catcher armor and faceguards exist and nobody is wearing it and depending on their sick DEX stats and acrobatics to avoid becoming zombie chew toys?
It's not just all easily accessible. I don't like the cheerleader in general because flavour-wise it's literally just a new arrival to the horrors, so, eh. The rest of the survivors generally feel like they at least, broadly, fit with the stated aesthetic, even if they seem too 'clean'.
>>
>>93840073
>he actually likes baseball
Okay I'll admit I was just shitposting and I think having a baseball bat in something other than a UB or unset is stupid, but seriously, how do you like baseball? I like sports but baseball's just so fucking boring. I thought One Outs was a pretty good anime that managed to make it somewhat interesting with the gambling angle, but how can anyone actually enjoy baseball outside of something like that? I've got a cousin who loves it and dragged me to a game for his birthday once, and it was such an unbearable slog to watch. At least hockey and football have shit happen, baseballs just a bunch of fags standing around with their fingers up their asses for three hours.
Speaking of sports, why isn't there a hockey mask? Hockey masks are classic horror movie shit, and hockey's an actually fun sport. If they're doing baseball bats they should do hockey masks too.
>>
>Option A
Call it "Spiked Bat" and avoid Exodia Obliterating your setting's consistency.

>Option B
Call it "Baseball Bat" and torch every last semblance of consistency your setting had left.

WHAT DO YOU CHOOSE /TG/!?
>>
File: rswuchzuf5391.jpg (35 KB, 480x374)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>93840058
>>
>>93840125
I simply choose not to have a panic attack over overpriced cardboard
>>
>>93840142
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>93840123
>but seriously, how do you like baseball?
It's hard to describe unless you know the game.
Baseball is a very cerebral game, it's about playmaking, timing and smart decisions.
A lot of sports have all their entertainment in the action itself, shoulder checks and tackles and whatnot. Baseball is about smart choices, careful planning and perfect execution.

You know the phrase "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"?
When you realize that is what the game of Baseball is about, then you can start to enjoy it. It's not about smacking a ball, it's about two teams trying to out-maneuver each other, and not even on the field. The maneuvering happens in the mind, and it's slow and methodical. Who do you put to bat against which pitchers. When do you signal to cheat bases, what risks to you take, what risks do you think they might take so you can hedge against them. When do you let their top player take a "free" base, hoping you can trap them there. There are no fights, it's all cerebral.
I definitely see how from the outside, it'd be hard to digest though.
>>
>>93840123
>Okay I'll admit I was just shitposting
Your insincere bullshit is just going to make people less motivated to post thoughtfully.

Everyone is fucking tired of the antagonistic personal attacks. It's not novel, it's not what the Internet should be, and I'm so fucking tired of seeing it. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>93840157
>When do you signal to cheat bases, what risks to you take, what risks do you think they might take so you can hedge against them. When do you let their top player take a "free" base, hoping you can trap them there. There are no fights, it's all cerebral.
I can see the appeal of that, but I don't really get baseball, so it's not something I can pick up on just from watching it. Thanks for the explanation though.

>>93840176
Welcome to 4chan, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>93840123
>>93840157
But yeah, never go to a baseball game as an outsider.
You really need to know your shit to enjoy it. Who are the good players, why they're being fielded at this moment and not others. All the rules both teams are trying to exploit.
It's a very esoteric game. If your cousin knew you didn't know shit about it, he's an asshole for inviting you lol. If he's a fan of the game, he knew exactly how bored you were going to be for those three hours.
Especially if he didn't even try to explain anything, he was probably trying to troll you.
>>
File: remember.jpg (1.92 MB, 2668x1824)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
Look. And always remember, what was taken from you.
>>
File: m'gentleman.gif (885 KB, 245x147)
885 KB
885 KB GIF
>>93840191
>I can see the appeal of that, but I don't really get baseball, so it's not something I can pick up on just from watching it.
Not even remotely. You really have to be into Baseball to enjoy Baseball. And the people who enjoy it, really enjoy it. It's not like any other sport. Tennis, if they miss the ball they lose. Hockey, Football... kick thing into net = win.

Baseball is a convoluted clusterfuck of pacing, planning and playmaking. You don't need to get baseball, don't worry. It's doing fine without you.

>Thanks for the explanation though.
Cheers, my man.
>>
>>93840212
>all the bad examples are White cards
Really makes you think, huh?
>>
>>93840212
>5 mana combat trick that requires you to pay life on top of that to have any effect
>3 mana do nothing that dies to cut down
no thanks
>>
>>93837709
Typically best to not use already-in-use art for custom designs.
>>
>TQ
embercleaving people with him in standard was awesome
a shame he's not really good anymore anywhere
>>
File: i must be imagining it.jpg (684 KB, 1339x906)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
>>93840256
at some point something changed and I can't put my finger on it
>>
File: download.jpg (1.68 MB, 3054x1702)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>Look. And always remember, what was taken from you.
Oh! Oh! Let me try!
>>
>Sneaks up behind you
>*Schlorps* you
REMINDER that
UMORI DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>93840053
Does duskmourn baseball imply a duskmourn astrodome? A duskmourn Busch Stadium?
>>
What if their plan to make people accept UB more is to make in-universe sets so terrible that even Marvelslop is preferable
>>
>>93837201
Does anyone have a source for this? I remember cheerleaders having these types of things when I was in school and that was before K-pop was really big in the US
>>
File: jJC9FPJ.jpg (116 KB, 922x960)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
You know, I'm tempted to make a card game in Godot that emulates the power level and style of old MTG. Could use OG Ravnica's power level as a baseline for it. I could put actual cheerleaders in it too.
>>
File: Stump_The_Chump.jpg (21 KB, 474x356)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>93840344
>A duskmourn Busch Stadium?
Fear of Bad Managers.
>>
>>93840343
this reminded me about that umori sorceries deck in modern, people come up with the weirdest shit when they want to prove something
>>
>>93840324
jesus that is a very wordy uncommon
man i miss simple cards with interesting abilities
>>
>>93840366
>Even the worst Companion was better than literally every non-Companion deck.
Good times.
And by "Good" I mean "Absolutely abominable flaming shit"
>>
>>93840212
>Hatredanon still at it
The card has been unplayable for 20 years. Let it go dude.
>>
File: pipimi.gif (2.51 MB, 289x211)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB GIF
>New MTG theme song just dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aMpoylHM5Q
>>
>>93840373
Wish I wasn't taking a break from MTG when Companions first dropped
Seemed like those were fun times
>>
>>93840212
Was Hatred ever playable? I only remember that one Extended or Legacy jank deck that that went all-in for a t2 kill but besides that I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay 5 for what basically amounts to a combat trick.
>>
File: jesu cristo.jpg (12 KB, 354x515)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>93840386
>Seemed like those were fun times
They were not.
>>
File: 1621381808575.png (328 KB, 403x650)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>93840386
>Seemed like those were fun times
he doesn't know
>>
>>93840321
>WAAAAA WAAAAA NEGRESSES
I despise you. I despise everything about you. You are to me what the Ebonics speaking thugs on TV and the radio are to every respectable and hardworking black. You make every aspect of having an opinion besides anti-intellectual scolding or a myopic, paternalistic fascism difficult in the modern discourse.
>>
>>93840364
Fear of Semian for me last year ngl
>>
>>93840410
I'll pray for you.
>>
>>93840386
let me clue you in
they were so overpowered they got banned in vintage, the format where everything is legal
they are the only mechanic to ever be given a power level errata
>>
>>93840343
It’s very amusing the only companion that still sees play is Jegantha and only because it’s a beat stick
>>
>>93840388
There's no point at which you cast hatred and don't end the game. Either you kill in 1 hit with it or you get blown out and lose, its not a combat trick that gets you some advantage, its a make or break all in win condition.
You are at 20 life, they are at 20 life, you hit with a 1/1? Game is over
>>
>>93840429
Astros primary dbacks secondary shit was rough
>>
>>93840434
I know, that's why I'm sad about missing it, because that's fucking wild
It's like they shit their pants so hard they shit their socks and shoes as well
I bet the threads were a blast
>>
File: 1725327582523008.jpg (110 KB, 736x563)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>93840435
>It’s very amusing the only companion that still sees play is Jegantha and only because it’s a beat stick
Nah it's because Jeggers Companion clause lis literally free. Random decks just happen to fit it so Jeggers gets run.
It's like a fly buzzing around every metagame, sniffing out pip-light decks like they're rotting fruit.
>>
>>93840388
You either instantly win the game if you’re at life parity or better or instantly lose the game. Suicide black decks ran it.
>>
>>93840463
Well, that’s my point. People use it as a beat stick. It may as well be a vanilla.
>>
>>93840476
>It may as well be a vanilla.
Fair enough.
>>
>>93840478
Infuriatingly enough, I had a guy keep insisting I should cut maindeck Meathook in my rakdos sac pioneer deck so I could run it. People really do sometimes just have value brain and don’t realize that the deck with no cards above cmc 3 gains more from an enchantment that rushes a win while regulating the board is way better than a maybe 5 mana beatstick. If you have to companion jegantha in a deck like that you’re already losing.
>>
>>93840495
>Infuriatingly enough, I had a guy keep insisting I should cut maindeck Meathook in my rakdos sac pioneer deck so I could run it.
Lmao. No shot dropping a key piece for Jeggers is a good idea. On the flip side, basically no sideboard include will ever be better than a 1-of Jeggers if you meet its Companion restriction.
Jeggers existing in a format is an eternal lose-lose: for every deck. Either you don't get to run it, or you're forced to, there is no gray area.

>If you have to companion jegantha in a deck like that you’re already losing.
Put it this way. Since the Errata, every companion roughly reads "Start the game with an extra Divination card in your hand."
Do some decks want a clunky 3 mana draw spell? No. Most don't, actually. Would some decks shrug and take it for free if it cost nothing? Yes, every deck would, that's a no-brainer.

All companions are design abominations that suck the entire game into a black hole of negative quality around them.
>>
>>93840525
I think the most amusing part about companion was they were clearly apeing on the design space of beginning of game effects contingent on deck building restrictions as they exist in hearthstone (that whole odd even cost thing they did back in the worgen expansion ages ago), but in doing so they completely misunderstood why something like that “works” in hearthstone but is a fucking blight in magic.
>>
Companions would've been really cool if they were the center of some Commander side game
Like a 60 card commander game where your deck has to abide by certain restrictions to run a certain commander
Instead we got Lurrus of the Memeden raping the entire game for a little bit
>>
>>93840324
I feel like the artists for Magic and the artists that designed Concord are basically coming from the same talent pool in the same city.

I'm just looking at the artifact creature and I'm just thinking "only an insane person could design something like this happy to look at it every day" and I mean the artist and the engineer who built this stupid robot. It's why nobody respects Steampunk cosplay or the aesthetic because it's exposed gears, it's designed with absolutely zero understanding of the most basic principles of moving parts design. And the gears are a hat for the most part. It's just insane.
>>
This is your nightly reminder that Yorion was banned not for being a freebie flicker on a stick that rewarded big n greedy giant slop piles that either folded to blood moon or shit out unbeatable value over 20 turns but because WOTC thought the big n greedy giant slop piles that either folded to blood moon or shit out unbeatable value over 20 turns took too long to shuffle
>>
>>93840553
>Instead we got Lurrus of the Memeden raping the entire game for a little bit

>A single card completely dominated Vintage, Legaxy (Except for the Gyruda/LED abomination), Modern and Standard all at once.

It's crazy to think that Punished Lurrus was ACTUALLY a considerably more powerful card than Black Lotus, Oko, Time Vault and Contract from Below all at once.

The FUCK were these FUCKING RETARDS thinking, printing a card THAT busted?
>>
>>93837546
I once had a dream where I fried teeth in a pan and ate them like candy
>>
>>93840563
I remember when every oaf at my store was playing those stupid yorion piles, but the silver lining was that it was probably the only time enchantress was an apex predator. I’d just hard mull for turn 2 blood moon and by the time they found an answer in their 80 card pile I had the prison lock in place.
Similar situation when that dumb creativity pioneer deck with the wurm combo was all the rage. Everyone at my store built it. Just shoved in a baleful mastery and deflecting palm maindeck and never lost.
>>
>>93837575
Reminds me that one time I had a dream that I keyed Mr. Beast’s car with a buddy. He walked out so angry that he pulled a gun on me, but I caught and ate the bullets like thrown grapes. Me and my buddy laughed our asses off and he started billowing cartoon steam out of his ears.
Cap man sounds cool.
>>
Anyone want to make bets on what Episode 4 will be?
>>
>>93840093
>Jace and Vraska visit plane with onlyfans
>Vraska becames a camgirl.
>>
>>93840462
>sad about missing it
There's a part of me that also regrets missing it but I think having seen so many events like that there comes a realization that it only gets worse, they will find ways of fucking up due to their lack of care and testing and it will continue to be that way forever. Like we just had Nadu and before that like 2 years of the Evoke creatures in Modern before bannings came down. And long ago there was destroying the competitive game, the monopolization of distribution in South America, raising DCI hosting standards that shut down play groups in Europe and Asia where you can't just fucking run a games store with empty play space.

At some point you just have to not crave the outrage. You shouldn't want it. The disappointment come down always hurts no matter how fired up you are because no matter how much energy you and others put into it Wizards doesn't get better. Whatever is happening inside Wizards they are wholly unmotivated to test the product at the most basic level to the public like having your contractors review the cards all the way to the end of the development.

Imagine performing a high-level negotiation and one week before finalizing the decision you pull all your translators and interpreters. Or in the case of MH2, forget you even have translators on staff and that you're actually negotiating something. Because that actually happened, the contractors were working on the product and when they checked in their handlers were like "oh we shelved your product for now, we aren't working on it".
>>
File: 1684651781655739.jpg (51 KB, 500x481)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>93840434
>they were so overpowered they got banned in vintage, the format where everything is legal
I still so vividly remember the shills screaming about how "They only had to be banned because Vintage restrictions to a 1-of does nothing!" as if that isn't an explicit admission that Companion is beyond broken in and of itself.
>>
Just a reminder,
>WE DID NOT PLAYTEST THE FINAL VERSION OF NADU
>>
>>93840661
They didn’t play test urza’s saga either because of lockdown
>>
>>93840661
Dude it's okay they're gonna monitor the situation
>>
>>93840650
And I also remember that time. Where I was laughing my ass off at hearing the cat getting restricted. It might as well have read
>no changes
>>
>Dude it's okay they're gonna monitor the situation
He is correct.
Worry not.
We are monitoring the situation.
>>
Amusingly ikoria is a very low EV set, because any card that didn’t suck was so broken it got banned in basically everything
>>
>>93840700
or errata'd and became trash.
>>
>>93840700
>Amusingly ikoria is a very low EV set, because any card that didn’t suck was so broken it got banned in basically everything
Pretty much. Sure MKM has its cringe and tons of other sets were ass, but people are dead serious when they say IKO was the worst set of all time.
It had zero (0) redeeming qualities.
>>
>>93840700
Wait I’m retarded I forgot about the triomes
>>
File: farnsworth asleep.gif (461 KB, 500x370)
461 KB
461 KB GIF
Wizards monitoring the situation be like:
>>
>>93840710
Like the other anon said, zero redeeming qualities
>>
>>93840718
Redeeming? Not at all.
Potential EV? Unfortunately yes
>>
>>93840713
Do you see our glasses?
Thick and powerful.
They improve our vision so we can monitor intensely.
>>
>>93840710
and even those are about shockland valuable.
>>
File: ShepherdingSpirits.png (2.1 MB, 1394x1024)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PNG
Shepherding Sprits is done.
Will the set contain anything else worth altering?
Full disclosure: For this one I played around for an hour seeing how hard it would be to do a full-on "nude apron" edit but it was going to be a lot of work. Maybe next time.
>>
Ikoria actually has a very high box EV because of the Godzilla cards lmfao
>>
>>93840710
the triomes were a mistake that went largely unnoticed, but their existence combined with fetchlands means people could run ridiculously greedy manabases in modern

god i fucking hate fetchlands
>>
>>93840744
It drives me insane that both magus and blood moon have been weakened by constant silver bullets over the years (boseiju, powercrept creature removal, force of vigor, etc etc) to the point where it’s not even a total hose for these dumb fucking greed piles anymore.
>>
>>93840737
A humble request from a simple appreciator of horror.
I know it is out of your usual legendary skillset, but If you can make the hair less frizzy and disgusting too it would be much appreciated.

The large version isn't on Zezhou's ArtStation yet, sadly. Should be eventually.
>>
>>93840751
Anon idc about countering greed piles FUCK Bloodmood and the bitch ass Wizards employee who designed it
>>
Reminder that this was a card in Ikoria they thought was fair
>>
>>93840759
...should be doable once the high-res one shows up. I'm sure something can be done with the hair.
>>
>>93840774
You are a saint, my good sir.
>>
>>93840744
Its worth pointing out how triomes enabled FAIR multicolor decks in standard and domain continues to exist without them, its only fetches that broke them. Triomes are right about the level of power you need from something thats putting you back a turn in tempo, it needs to not just fix all your mana and contribute to domain but also have cycling, anything less they'd be tras
>>
File: Witnessed.jpg (277 KB, 870x790)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>93840777
Saintly trips of truth.
Saint Booba be praised.
>>
>90 cards left
>14 rares
>4 mythics

there's no way the remaining cards salvage this god awful set
this is the lowest power level set since what, battle for zendikar? lmao
>>
>>93840793
Honestly? Good. Have a few clunkers in a row so Standard can breathe a bit. And by Standard I mean real standard, not Arena BO1.
>>
>>93840793
>this is the lowest power level set since what, battle for zendikar? lmao
Other than the obvious untested Leyline standout, yeah, this set is pretty shit.
The Checklands might save it, but with so few typed lands in the formats people that aren't total festering cesspits, I doubt they'll hold heavy value.
I suspect they'll settle ~$8.50-12. Far from enough to carry a set.
>>
>>93840793
>low power = bad
You are the problem
>>
>>93840810
Yes, low power = bad.

The ideal is a well curated, strong but balanced power level.
>>
>>93840785
>its only fetches that broke them
yeah, but we live in a world where fetchlands are omnipresent in every format where they're allowed, i agree triomes would be fine if these mistakes were never printed
>>
>>93840803
you can't possibly fix standard by having clunker sets when standard is already a turn 3 format. There's too many broken cards from MoM, OTJ, MKM, Brothers war, etc and that basically just makes all these lower power sets become nu-kamigawa-post-mirrodin ie worthless

You'll still be facing the same atom smashing RDW (+leyline) and domain control spamming sunfall+atraxa every turn
>>
>>93840813
Yeah alright check back in 6 years when power creep gets them to print Lurrus of the Dreamden 2: This Time it has a Bigger Cock
>>
File: here you go.jpg (223 KB, 744x1039)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>93840829
>>93840525

I think it will look something like this
>>
>>93840094
While I agree FIRE is a mistake you're comparing a monocolor with a tricolor, the latter should be stronger (just not THAT strong).
>>
>>93840751
I think of all the things Wizards does understand it is that it is better to fuck up the metagame, sell cards, and apologize, than to maintain the metagame and reprint cards because this yields less sales because of a smaller customer base.

People don't buy boxes to draft; so that's not even a consideration. They buy boxes to pull Ragavans and they'll pay $300 a box to do it. So having Magus and Moon and a stable environment, that's suggesting the format be like Legacy and they don't give a single fuck about Legacy sales because dealing with the bitching about the list is incessant. And so they fuck with Modern.

Until Modern actually shows signs of dying (i.e. boxes aren't selling), they won't stop continuously doing the same thing to it over and over.
>>
>>93840123
Baseball is a game for people who aren't retarded faggots so you wouldn't get it.
>>
>>93840907
this is what 3 colors used to get you
>>
>>93840957
That's pretty much what 3 colors still gets you. The issue isn't multicolor, it's c*mmander.
>>
File: foundations.jpg (130 KB, 672x936)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>93840972
its gonna have a home in standard too, soon
>>
>>93840980
I have to say that my love for the game many years ago didn't start with boiler plate flavor text about these noble elves defending their home but that they were absolutely ruthless to invaders. Even if the original flavour text didn't portray them as violent, the art very clearly showed they were crazy bastards.
>>
>>93840204
not necessarily true. i went to an A+ league game this summer and it was fun.
i thought the announcer man borderline shit-talking the away-team players was in poor taste but other than that i would go again given the chance.
>>
File: cma-125-llanowar-elves.jpg (158 KB, 672x936)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>93841014
Now that's how you elf
>>
>>93841020
>i thought the announcer man borderline shit-talking the away-team players was in poor taste but other than that i would go again given the chance.
Please do. Glad you enjoyed it!
Lots of people struggle to though.
>>
>>93840381
please for the love of gods mod,make this the MTG general thread music from now on. Also with the success of worlds beyond yall should of saw this coming. With space marines,frodo and docter who now being common in MTG games, some estein in the WOTC art team thought "wow fans sure like these modern or out of place ideas in MTG just make a modern era set!". As a exMTG fan,yall deserve the ball. Batter up bitches.
>>
>>93841039
>Batter up bitches.
LOOK OUT, THAT WIZARD HAS REAL WORLD EARTH SPORT'S EQUIPMENT!!!
>>
>Baseball (And thus, Earth) confirmed for in the MTG universe

>MTG gets a movie deal
>It's a fish out of water story where a Planeswalker (Kaya) comes to Earth and solves all our problems.

Are you excited, /tg/?
>>
>>93841118
Doctor Who, Walking Dead, and Fallout all already canonically exist in the MTG universe, Earth was confirmed ages ago.
>>
>tfw you hate duskmourn because it's an incoherent setting that copies tropes 1:1 instead of trying to do something loosely inspired by them and because the story was poorly written slop that doesn't even attempt to emulate the genre it's pretending to be full of forced "twists" for the sake of having a twist ending
>but everyone else hates it because of stupid shit like black people existing or because they think the demon that eats fear trying to scare people instead of just killing them is stupid or because they think a spell creating a token that's a different color than the spell itself is a color pie break
>>
>>93841174
We can hate them for both those reasons at once and also more than just those reasons too.
>>
>>93837199
Underrated post, I lol'd
>>
Fear of Shareholders
>>
>>93840759
I read this more as a Betelgeuse 'wacky electrified' hairstyle that psychos and some types of witches have than a nog hairstyle. What type of hairstyle would you prefer for the character?
>>
>>93837146
Maybe Valgavoth is MTG's first asexual character. He's repulsed by sex, and chooses to do everything in his power to prevent any sexual scenarios from happening in his plane. No matter how horrifying sexual trauma would be for his victims, he couldn't handle the idea of allowing such a repulsive act to happen within the sanctity of his pure, sexless plane. He may feed on the fear of all those he tortures, but his own fear of sex outweighs any pleasure he could gain from exploiting anyone else's fears associated with it.
>>
>>93841263
>What type of hairstyle would you prefer for the character?
Anything that doesn't look like it smells of engine oil and cockroaches, basically.
Style is fair game.
>>
>>93841271
>Maybe Valgavoth is MTG's first asexual character. He's repulsed by sex, and chooses to do everything in his power to prevent any sexual scenarios from happening in his plane.
So.... a WotC stand-in?
>Fear of Sex
... a WotC stand-in.
>>
>>93840288
Noted, I did it mostly as a reference to existing cards that had similar usage already, mostly an an implicit rebuttal to the idea of them being a color pie break.
In retrospect that probably makes the problem even worse though.
>>
>>93840764
You’re mad over a perfectly fair card from the dark?
>>
>>93836724
I only just noticed that some of the cards have monsters snuck into them for a little bit of gaslighting. Kinda cute, but doesn't really improve the set that much for me.
>>
>>93841393
>Kinda cute, but doesn't really improve the set that much for me.
It's the kind of thing you know the designers got extremely excited about during development
>It's gonna be so awesome!"
>"That' genius!"
While simultaneously neglecting balance, gameplay, lore consistency, flavor and actual overall quality art direction.

"Rule of cool" without substance.
AKA "Talentless hack energy"
>>
>>93836600
how is that not a fucking blue creature lol
who is the member of the standard set design team who has been ruthlessly dickriding black for the past year
>>
>>93841555
I could ask the same question for this one as well
>>
>>93840359
fuck it, i'm gonna go to /agd/ and start figuring this out, wish me luck boys
>>
>>93841589
godspeed, you crazy diamond
>>
after bloomburrow and OTJ i was sure that set design was on an upswing again and they couldn't possibly make something so shitty i wouldn't even want to draft it
duskmourn exists to prove me wrong. honestly the thought of seeing these shit cards in standard kinda threatens to ruin that format for me too. what a huge pile of shit
>>
>>93840359
You could just play a retro format. Golden Modern, Classic Legacy, and Premodern are fun choices with growing communities, even if the gaylords here don't like to talk about them.
>>
File: zyzz-flex.gif (2.23 MB, 640x476)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB GIF
>>93841628
I appreciate the suggestions, but I must engage in an act of creation.
>>
>>93841628
How is classic legacy defined
Where do I find communities for golden modern and classic legacy
>>
File: 1721039502387488.jpg (200 KB, 1308x900)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
What Grief ban?
>>
How do rooms work? How do you unlock a room?
>>
>>93841753
Lists?
>>
>>93841780
They work kind of like an adventure card. You cast one side and it unlocks when it enters you may then spend mana to unlock the other side.
>>
>>93841793
Boring. They keep changing names to the same old mechanics. They really think players are dumb and I can't honestly blame them.
>>
>>93841425
>"Rule of cool" without substance
I'm not going to actually look and check but I'm willing to bet they didn't actually put any real monsters in the background and just let the underpaid artist put whatever the fuck they wanted there.

Like that's the thing, if you're going to be designing monsters, you probably are going to want signature monsters. Alpha monsters, monsters the demon uses regularly, monsters that will sell your set, a Dracula, a Tarrasque, something that's always in the vault like Cabin in the Woods. What they have instead are just references to old horror shit that basically no teenager knows about. It's the same with Rick and Morty nobody gives a flying fuck about Hellraiser okay, it's not a reference that's so evocative that you are better off doing it than making up something actually truly special like they obviously accidentally did with Krombopulos Michael.

But given what we've seen there's none of that. There's no connection between cards. It's just token reference here and there. Just like there's no monsters in Theros or Innistrad that are persistent threats it's just bigger werewolf or bigger giant or stupider god. We've come to this point where a fucking Phyrexian insect is Legendary like Elesh Norn has just one special thing that is so special and she for some batshit insane reason wouldn't mass produce.

Like if you're going to include real life analogs fucking commit. Have cheerleader, jock, brainiac, and goth be tribes and have lots of them. Look at all the fucking Mythics they're just a fucking mass of tentacles, nobody is going to fucking remember any of this shit.
>>
>>93841753
The real danger was frog.
>>
File: file.png (1011 KB, 672x936)
1011 KB
1011 KB PNG
>>93840700
Ikoria was kino
>>
>>93840828
>sunfall+atraxa every turn
that's 12 mana and they can only do that 4 times (usually 3)
>>
my opponents deck was 100% rat creatures and lands. No removal, no interaction, no anything but rats. It was something around turn 24. In his graveyard I counted 3 lord skitters, 3 tangled colony, 2 vren, 4 azure beastbinder, 2 shoreline looter, 1 gnawing vermin, 3 persistent marshstalker, 2 tidecaller mentor, 2 karumonix, 3 mudflat village. I had no graveyard hate and only a few foods so I had to kill every single rat every single turn and couldn't allow a single swing until turn 20+ when I had blown up every black source so he couldn't get back the marshstalkers
2 brotherhoods ends, 2 temporal firestorm, 2 torch the witness, 3 torch the tower and about 10+ activations of bumbleflowers sharepot and boom box + esoteric duplicator
when he left the game he had nothing on the field but 4x lilypad village

I can do it
more than 4 times
fuck atraxa decks I am the true control
esoteric duplicator reigns supreme
>>
>>93841878
Was there a bullshit ladden article where maro defends companions and clearly has no fucking clue what he's talking about having absorbed none of the feedback from people who actually know the game?

Also that card is very Living Endy-y.
>>
>>93841959
>>93841959
>>93841959

New thread
>>
>>93840901
>doesn't even ramp, draw nor recur a card
actually useless
>>
>>93842035
>yuno companion
>3 yuno
>45 leylines (no singularity)

yeah that's killing on turn 2 and you can't stop it with pyroclasm since they'll be at least 2/3 with a leyline of vitality
>>
>>93841865
>What they have instead are just references to old horror shit that basically no teenager knows about. It's the same with Rick and Morty nobody gives a flying fuck about Hellraiser okay, it's not a reference that's so evocative that you are better off doing it than making up something actually truly special like they obviously accidentally did with Krombopulos Michael.

I'm just going to be real.
Outside of tactful poetic allusions, you should never (NEVER) add references to other fiction in your creative works.

If a reference is more evocative than what the core of your work is offering, then it just serves to prove how unimpressive your work is.
If a reference is less evocative than your own work, then there is no reason to include it.

Pop culture reference in your creative work is brainlet behavior.
>>
>>93841753
>Frog pitches to Grief and Force
>Ban Grief
>Frog still pitches to Force
lol
lmao
>>
>>93841555
Black has a lot of attack triggers too, and alongside blue is just as likely to use surveil. Flash is probably the most questionable part for it being black, though, yeah.
>>
>>93841568
>>93841393
>everything is center of frame or face is exactly at rule of thirds intersection
talent is hard to come by these days
>>
>>93840617
>>Vraska camgirl
I haven’t bought retail magic set in 20 years, but I would buy this set
>>
>>93840957
Sovl

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.