[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: SRPGG Frazetta_1 (2).jpg (263 KB, 760x1049)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
This thread is dedicated to all kinds of solo games.

Previous Dread >>93840527

>Mortal Combat Edition

Resources: https://rentry.org/srpgg

>Resources from Lewd RPG thread >>93902424

https://tayruh.github.io/solo/solo-roleplaying-toolkit.html

Discord - https://discord.com/invite/JKeyHcU

More threads:
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/%2Fsrpgg%2F/

Thread question: what is your favorite setting? Horror, fantasy, Sci-fi, low magic, high magic, cyberpunk? Do tell or the cat gets it!
>>
File: Guide to Solo RPG's.png (90 KB, 1162x593)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
Field guide to Solo RPG's
>>
>TQ
Fantasy or sci fi, or horror. I'll play anything really.
I need to get better at journaling and actually finish a game though, right now my notes are too detailed, I spend too long writing them.
>>
>TQ
I like high magic but with local or personal stakes and space opera.
>>
>TQ
I like either high-fantasy or modern supernatural/horror. Had a lot of fun with a World of Horror inspired one-shot.
>>
>>93907926
I hear you on the journaling. I get burnt out too some times.

>>93908863
Which space opera? Mothership?

>>93908885
Is the WoH OS homebrewed by you or is it on DTPRG or Itch?
>>
>TQ
Investigative horror. Sword and sorcery a close second.
>>
For Star Trek Adventures, Captains Log players or curious. HERE, have a smol little Bird of Prey and her crew. Theme, EVERYONE has a sword. because SWOOOOORD
>>
File: CO Gar'Kan.pdf (831 KB, PDF)
831 KB
831 KB PDF
>>
File: XO CWO Be'Ra.pdf (831 KB, PDF)
831 KB
831 KB PDF
>>
File: Engineer O'Bryn.pdf (832 KB, PDF)
832 KB
832 KB PDF
>>
File: Surgeon Mor'Gan.pdf (831 KB, PDF)
831 KB
831 KB PDF
>>
4derps won't let upload the last character. the first officer and weapons officers' sister who sits in science 1 or the helm
>>
>>93909208
Try again in a few minutes.

Thank you for posting these, they are interesting.
>>
>>93909228
Ijust want to show that the star trek game is real easy to set up characters, ships. and with all the automation of captains log and the campaign books, real easy to run without fudging or 'cheating' and giving those characters a hard challenge
>>
File: ENT ERA.pdf (1.91 MB, PDF)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PDF
FAITH OF THE HEART!

what are shields?
>>
File: Tos job lot 1.pdf (1.8 MB, PDF)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PDF
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Tereshkova. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
>>
>>93908926
>Is the WoH OS homebrewed by you or is it on DTPRG or Itch?
Vaguely homebrew? Kind of a bullshit merge of Tiny d6 and Tricube Tales as it was more of a gamified writing exercise if anything. Had fun coming up with ways things went wrong when my rolls went terrible. So I guess it was more a journalling game.

Though I have considered running another game using Liminal Horror by Goblin Archives. Ive heard the game would be perfect for a World of Horror game, but I dont know about as a solo game.
>>
Is there a good system for mimicking the god game genre of video games? Having nostalgia for Black & White.
>>
TQ
Napoleonic gunpowder fantasy. I have yet to find an actual game for it and just have to hack one together or play a universal game. Sundered isles is almost right.
>>
>>93910420
With naval battles? There's a GURPS supplement for Napoleonic times called Age of Napoleon.
>>
File: 99286.png (1.26 MB, 800x1035)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>>93910420
Honor + Intrigue?
>>
File: SSv1.5_Cover.png (517 KB, 596x850)
517 KB
517 KB PNG
>>93908926
>Which space opera? Mothership?
Mostly just kitchen sink Star Wars outer rim rip offs with light rules and inspiration tables from all over sci-fi RPGs. I haven't tried Mothership, but have been planning to, I'm under impression that it would work fine for grittier stuff.
>>
>engaging in a social activity alone
lol
maybe even lmao
>>
>>93912885
Where do you think we are? This is like complaining about single player video games existing

Anyway, what’s your guyses go to dungeon delve? Craving something like etrian odessey or mystery dungeon but a tabletop version. 4 against darkness? 2d6dungeons?
>>
>Party goes to a village that's meant to be inhabited by would-be allies
Great
>Finds they've been slaughtered by our main enemy in the region
Fuck
>But their leaders bones remain and his undead soul holds on waiting for someone to come carry them to where they're due to be buried as a last command
Great
>Get there and it turns out the entire place is inhabited by ghouls
Fuck
>But the ghouls are friendly, some of the members of the tribe survived (and worship the ghouls as sacred ancestors) and they're guarding a portal to a completely different part of the world which'll give us a base to work from going forward if we can conquer it
Excellent.
>>
>>93910377
I don't know about how best to run it solo, but there's a Fate "Worlds of Adventure" supplement that's basically this premise: "Gods and Monsters."

I haven't tried to play Fate solo, but I'd start there.
>>
File: Indy II team.pdf (3.61 MB, PDF)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB PDF
here's my current crew and their sexed up sexcelsior.

protip, YES energy weapons in BANKS get +1 damage dice (stress), but energy weapons in ARRAYS can choose either AREA or SPREAD effects for the damage dice getting effect results.

AREA lets you mog groups of enemys with an extra trget hit per effect rolled after the first, so if you hit with a phaser array doing 9 'stress', you roll your 9d6, and if you get 5 chevrons (effects) on the dice, thats FOUR whole extra attacks on targets at CLOSE range to the target you already hit. this represents your tactical officer shooting at any hostile they can tag, good ol' FIRE AT WILL and using all the phaser arrays around the ships' hull as you swoosh around in combat.

SPREAD lets you hit the SAME target with EXTRA hits per effect rolled after the first, so if you get 4 effects on your stress die you get 3 extra hits. this represents your tactical officer absolutely draining the phaser arrays on the correct beam with the target, by smashing repeated shots into them.

COMBINED with phasers having VERSATILE 2 (+ 2 momentum on a successful attack)

combined with energy weapons being able to draw an extra 1 or 2 power (for a total 3 power drain at maximum) to do +2 damage dice / "stress" and you can build SO much heavy damage and momentum its rediculous.

energy weapon attacks are at base difficulty of 2 successes so a decent tactical officer can USUALLY hit.
>>
STAR SHIP COMBAT PRIMER 101

RESISTANCE is a REALLY important "not dying" mechanic since in starship combat in star trek adventures and captains log.

you choose your attack type and target.
>lets go with phaser array energy weapon attack

you roll your task vs difficulty

which for an energy attack is character control + security = Target Number, you roll 2d20 for that, ASSISTED by the ships' Weapons +security = TN, you get only one d20 for that.

energy weapon attack is difficulty 2,
or 2 successes out of those (base) of 3d20.

>lets have Torvarion, or saurian helmsman and tactical officer, make that attack. he has control 11, security 4, so his target number is 15. he gets 2d20 and wants 15 or LESS on those.
Torvarion gets 11, and 19. so 1 success.
>but he is assisted by the indefatigable's weapons and security 10 and 4, so 14 TN. ONE d20 for ASSISTANCE rolls on a task.
indefatigable gets 10, another success.

so for the task we have 2 successes versus 2 difficulty, torvarion has successfully used the Indefatigable's phaser arrays to hit the target

now, that is +2 momentum, -1 power,
SPREAD and -2 power for +2d6

the d6's have blank faces for nothing. one little explosion for 1 stress. 2 little explosions for 2 stress, and a chevron for 1 stress, 1 effect. the books have tables for using normal d6's for the same thing. IIRC, only a dice roll of 1 is a effect result. (1 stress, 1 effect)

and since we have Fast targeting systems we don't have to bother with +1 difficulty to target a subsystem, so we're gonna say ,as a starfleet man, he's not trying to KILL anyone, so he's targeting their WEAPONS for 9 +2 11 damage / stress dice.

he rolls his 11d6 and gets a result of 11 stress, 3 effects. so he has activated SPREAD for 2 extra attacks. he rolls 11 d6 two more times and gets their results
8 stress and 11 stress.
>>
THIS is where resistance comes into it

our TARGET has now been hit thrice. in a row.
damage is
>X-RES-SHIELDS=damage actually done
lets say indefatigable is fighting a comprably sized vessel. scale 5 for resistance 5, but she's a robust pirate ship, so +1 for 'improved hull integrity'
so resistance 6
11-6=5
8-6=2
11-6=5
resistance takes a NICE chunk of damage off the top of all hits. since this target vesselis comprable to indefatigable, lets say it has
>structure 10 and security 4 for a total of 14 shields.
those three hits take the shields down to TWO. in ONE attack our leftenant Torvarion has all but BLASTED the enemy vessels shields down to bugger all. hurrah!
>>
and HERE is where the comparatively "weak" phasers (damage wise compared to disruptors etc) show their usefulness.

remember that whole MOMENTUM thing?

a CORE mechanic in captains table and star trek adventures is the game being built like EPISODES of shows. so generating THREAT by taking risks, and MOMENTUM by building success upon success via triumphs etc dictates the EBB and FLOW of the game.

with the DM generating threat to spend on ability's or giving the players momentum to pay for those abilities.

likewise the 'players' (characters when solo) can add to the threat pool to pay for momentum abilities, or they can spend momentum.

now Torvarion has added TWO momentum for VERSATILE 2 successful phaser attack.

which as a hot headed, cold blooded saurian tactical officer with a coldly logical vulcan captain to whom "In space, all warriors are cold warriors" is a maxim he has drilled into his officers, elects to SPEND those two momentum for the SWIFT ACTION sped in order to take ANOTHER action IMMEDIATELY at difficulty + 1 INSTEAD of handing the action over to the pirate cruiser that's just been shot up bad.

so he attacks AGAIN. phasers. spread, power -3 for + 2 dmg dice.
versus d3
torvarion gets 13 and 4, two successes
indefatigable gets 10, the THIRD success necessary.

also, ANOTHER successful phaser attack... so that VERSATILE 2 kicks in and GIVES back those two momentum he just spent to the group pool, effectively giving him a FREE "swift action"

torvarion's hit again! lets see if those weapons emplacements are TOAST?
11d6

12 stress, 7 effects. ooooof! SIX extra hits
12-6-2shields=4 damage.

at 0 shields, the target suffers a breach. and with 4 damage, thats 1 more. so the weapons systems on our pirate ship are at 2 of 5 breaches, they're offline, 'damaged'
>>
9-6 =3 damage.
ONE more breach to weapons
no shields to further soak up, but still that RESISTANCE tanking damage
weapons systems at 3 breaches out of 5 still just 'damaged'
10-6= 4 = 1 breach
now weapons are 'disabled' they need serious repairs. 4 breaches
12-6= 6 = 1 breach
5 breaches weapons are disabled.
10-6= 4 = 1 breach
HERE is the money shot, now at 6 breaches, the weapons are totally DESTROYED, they are GONE. you gotta put into space dock to fix THAT shit.
11-6= 5 = 1 breach
since the weapons are now totally gone the next to hits punching into the holes where they used to be spreads those breaches to the SENSORS
10-6= 4 = 1 breach
sensors at 2 breaches for "damaged" sensors are knocked offline.

in classic starfleet tradition, our big heavy pirate cruiser, belligerent, has been totally disarmed, she can't hurt us now, and she's at least temporarily BLIND.

IS the indefatigable victorious? what WILL the pirate battleship do?

incidentally, at - 6 power, indefatigable only has 11 'spare' power left.

SO, in this rambling demented 'lesson' (rant)

hopefully we have learnt.
RESISTANCE is KING
POWER is great!
and
PHASER (versatile 2) ARRAYS (area / spread) fucking RULE!
>>
Imagine playing this SOCIAL activity alone.

lol. That's it, not even an lmao
>>
>>93917929
I don't get it
>>
>>93917929
have you TRIED playing games with people? most of the people infesting the gaming hobbies now are barely capable of breathing autonomously.
>>
>don't prep NPCs
>game slows to a crawl
>stat NPCs
>they don't come up in play
pain
>>
>>93918186
YET ANOTHER area where star trek adventures and captains log shines.

you can BAMF up NPC's by crew quality levels. for example, a 'proficient' crew have attributes 9 and disciplines 2, so their target numbers are 11 for all tasks, BANG, you have your numbers for opposed tasks. or tasks they undertake.

as for weapons, that's ez pz too. they're al listed in a nice easy trable in the book. just add security to their stress ratings.

so a disruptor pistol armed klingon warrior trying to shoot at your captain needs 2 successes on 2d20 with TN 11
and does 3 + 2 = 5 stress damage, vicious 1 if it hits.

and viciou8s 1 just means that if you DO get an effect roll, that counts as one extra stress, instead of just the normal one. so you do 2 stress damage on an chevron result. to show just some disruptors are simple brute weapons only for killing.
>>
File: A_Dog_biscuit.jpg (48 KB, 640x640)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>93912885
Glad to have you back! We missed you. You don't have to stay away, you're welcome here. Always.
You're an important part of solo threads now.
Good mascot. Have a treat. NO! Have TWO treats!!! You deserve them for being such a good Anon.
Now say the thing again. Say it.
>>
File: Good Mascot.png (1.71 MB, 667x1000)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
>>93917929
He said the thing again!
>>
pathetic
>>
File: Good Mascot is Good.jpg (484 KB, 1900x1060)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>93919245
>>
I pulled a Riddick.
My PC had magic items, a title, retainers and bodyguards, a treasure, a castle and villagers to manage.
I didn't want to play that kind of game anymore so he got betrayed by his council and left to die on a mall boat in the middle of the ocean.
Survival adventure mode engaged. Difficulty: Hardcore.
Finally found a small island not on maps just before it was too late. These asshole thought I would die slowly and painfully. It still might happen, but at least now I have a chance. It's deserted, but I found an ancient temple near the inactive volcano on the east side with some armors, weapons, coins and other stuff. The weapons and armors are weird. The coins like nothing I ever saw and it's all very old. There's a lot of imagery of boars and lizards in the temple and on the stuff.
So now my time is divided between survival tasks and planing to explore the hidden tunnels of the temple I discovered.
Back to the character's roots of the wandering explorer. None of that fancy court shit anymore.
>>
>>93919395
Good move, I almost want to do that with my game but I think I’ll just make a big finale scenario instead. I may have him imprisoned first just to get the same experience though.
I wanna rewatch/play riddick now
>>
>New Ironsworn PC
>I'll make my first quest simple, Troublesome quest to investigate some odd goings on in a nearby village
>On the way run into a giant adder's nest
>Try to quickly get it away instead of just running
>It bites me
>I have to run now because I'm not going to fight with venom in my veins
>Run, but going that fast makes the venom spread faster
>It's not lethal but the swelling will put my arm out of commission for a while
>Know some herbal healing methods thanks to my mentor, I'll just restrict the wound and-
>Whoops, too late
>Black out from sudden onset of pain
>While I'm lying there, deathly pale and completely still, some utter bastard assumes I'm dead and takes ALL of my stuff
>Literally all of it barring the clothes on my back
>Fucking drag myself to the village in question by crawling there for HOURS
>Everyone here is a fucking asshole
>See me clinging to life on the floor and just say "haha look at that absolute peasant" like they aren't all a bunch of rural brokies
Can't believe I have to help these cunts.
>>
Anything like an Ironsworn system but in Japanese setting?
>>
>>93921512
What are you looking to keep from Ironsworn? It's extremely easy to reskin everything in it and there's even a built in "honourable duel" move. There's a popular set of 3rd party assets/reskinning options for different cultures (including east Asian IIRC) on Drive Thru RPG but I can't recall the name.
>>
File: 494826.jpg (573 KB, 900x1200)
573 KB
573 KB JPG
Second edition of Usurper just came out. Made by Ivan Sorensen who is better known for the 5 Parsecs/5 Leagues miniature games. It is not exactly a solo games but works as such almost out of the box, it just needs any oracle coupled with it. It has loads of world and adventure generation tools, and great mechanics for regional and world events that happen independently from players.
It is a D100 system where all skill rolls use same table, rolls are not modified, and character's traits can be used for rerolls and to justify relevant rolls or gaining advantage in more mundane rolls. Combat has it's own D100 table and same reroll and advantage rules apply.
>>
>>93921512
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/351813/ironsmith?src=hottest_filtered
PWYW. It's got several reflavourings of Ironsworn's setting including a Japan inspired one.
>>
>>93923400
I fucked up and grabbed the wrong link, this is the flavor pack thing.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/374949/ironsmith-flavor-packs?src=hottest_filtered
>>
>>93921472
the ironlands can be a harsh place, anon
>>
>>93922389
sounds cool, the 5 games are on my list to check out and now this one is too. I was screwing around with a map/kingdom generator a bit ago and it turned out to be super fun and I want to do more stuff on that level
>>
What supplements other than Perilous Wilds can you use for generating dungeons?
>>
>>93926695
AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide, in the appendices
>>
File: 492224.jpg (156 KB, 900x1343)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>93924861
He recently put out a new one of those too, that is set in 5 Parsecs universe but is about militaries instead of freelancers. It works as stand-alone and is compatible with 5 the core book. 5 Leagues also got a second expansion.
>>
is 2d6 Dungeon any good? I like 4 against darkness but it's a little too simple after a couple of sessions
>>
>>93927081
You can download version 1 of the rules from it's BGG site.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/379552/2d6-dungeon-a-dungeon-crawler
>>
>>93927305
Also, it's been on my hard drive for ages but I haven't tried it myself.
>>
>>93927081
I’m planning on trying it soon too. Already got the grid paper ready. My current solo game is fairly loose and open, and I’ve been craving a proper dungeon delve.
>>
>>93926695
Numenera Jade Colossus, it's got some setting specific stuff but most of the book is a dungeon generator.
>>
Anyone tried dogs in the vineyard solo?
It's interesting but I can see why the creator simplified stuff when they made PBTA
>>
>>93913569
I'm not the most experienced with solo role playing or with solo dungeon delves specifically, but I've been playing D100 Dungeon for the past week or so and I think it is a good system with lots of content in its tables. There is a fair amount of book-keeping though, so if that's something you are looking to avoid, you might want to try something simpler, like 2d6.
That said, I'd like to add more narrative to my game, so would be open to tips on doing that. Would it be easier to add the dungeon creation mechanics to another system or try to adapt more storytelling components from other systems into D100? I feel like when playing more narrative or open ended systems, it's easy for things to become sort of disjointed or unfocused and lose track of the plot.
>>
>>93913569
>>93928744
My issue with the dungeon crawl games I've seen is lack of combat tactics. You can push your luck until you run away or die, but combat is just "roll to see who damages whom". Not sure what would work better though.
>>
>>93928904
You could devote a few minutes to create a sort of battle map.
Pick a bunch of dice of many size. Say what each size of dice is (rocks, column, crates, tunnel, etc.)
Roll them all on a paper. Where they land and how high the number is where the things are and how big/important/numerous they are.
It can help with you PC using movements/tactics/the environment during combat.
>>
>>93928904
It may be worth trying to find another system where you enjoy the battle more, and just steal the tables and dungeons. Maybe even a non solo rpg.
I wonder if I can automate the battle tactics and solorpgify the tabletop game I’ve been wanting to play, panic at the dojo. The combat system looks fantastic, but it seems far more suited for group or 1 on 1. Maybe I’ll work on seeing if I can automate the bad guys, or if I can reasonable detach myself enough to play it seriously as my own gm.
>>
>>93928904
I like the idea from Tunnels and Trolls of using 'stunts'. They're just stat tests that can have advantages in combat, like trying to make the enemy angry or cutting off their hand. The harder the task, the more difficult. It's a very basic idea, but I find it works well with games that have a very mechanical way of doing combat and it fits solo because it can be more narrative. No need to have a battle map like I described in my other post.
So cutting your enemy's hand would be hard, but if you do they loose their weapon and maybe 1/4 of their HP. Morale test to see if they flee or surrender after such an injury.
But stunts could also be using vines to swing over your 3 enemies right into the mouth of a tunnel so you can fight them one on one instead of all at once.
>>
>>93929061
I do mini based games more anyway, so when I'm not doing that a simpler version of it isn't what I'm after.
>>93929127
>It may be worth trying to find another system
>find
You mean "make" surely?
>>93929170
That sounds more like what I want. Not sure how well it'd work slapped onto an existing system, but maybe it's more just about practise than anything else.
>>
>playing desolation of the dead from dark heresy 2e solo
>there's meant to be a big zombie uprising in an underhive town as the 2nd act climax with multiple seperate encounters to retake the town
>prepare a bunch of maps in foundry for this
>sit down to play
>get home from work after preparing it all the day before and daydreaming all day how the scenario will go down
>fall asleep after an hour of combat and lose motivation to keep going

I usually have a hyper focused autistic attention span when things start flowing but with work tiring me out I just can't keep up. Zombies as well on paper sounded interesting as trash mobs that can become dangerous through overloading the action economy to their side but in practice it was just "aim half, all out attack" x infinity. The module only calls for one enemy type so I prepped some elite undead inspired by wights as well as an undead ogyrn as a mini boss but I'm still yawning and falling asleep.
>>
I remember hearing somewhere that Dragonbane and Vaesen have solo rules.
Was that true?
>>
>>93931555
Dragonbane has a solo module with oracles that can be used to generate more adventures and encounters, yes. The game in general is also absurdly easy to solo thanks to its random tables.
>>
>>93930956
Did you imagine the zombies dying in gruesome ways? You gotta imagine it theater of mind style or it's going to be boring.
>>
>TQ
I can't pick just one. I will go from one setting to another as I change games, or will pick up one if I'm beginning to get bored with a character or setting.
>>
>super fun game
>die
>keep playing
>increase difficulty to maximum levels
>try to rack up as many different deaths as possible
It's like I'm playing a ttrpg version of an old point and click game or of a gamebook.
>>
>>93936923
Maybe switch to the villian and see how many people you can kill.
>>
any recommendations on solo rpgs with an emphasis on writing a log?
>>
>"cool, a new fantasy system with solo potential"
>just end up rolling a new Scarlet Heroes character in the end
Every time.
>>
>>93942676
1 system is all you need
>>
Turned Godbound into an incredibly schizo "Worldwalker" game set in the Infinite Worlds setting. It's total slop (my PC is a wannabe highschool shounen hero bound to Sword, Passion, and Endurance, and he's currently stuck in the Madoka setting while his worldwalk recharges) but I'm having a blast, so I guess I'm doing something right.
>>
>>93907314
>TQ: Favorite setting
I've been surprised that my favorite setting has become low magic medieval fantasy. It was never my favorite genre when it came to other media but I enjoy it RPGs more than I expected I would.
Zombie Apocalypse is a classic choice and Modern Demon Worlds have been good choices for horror games.
Also a surprise to me, I grew up with Shadowrun and can't find any motivation to play transhumanism Cyberpunk shit on my own.
>>
>>93921472
>Can't believe I have to help these cunts.
Swearing on Iron is a hell of a drug.
>>
Tried to roll up a sundered isles character and ended up with a call of cthulu style tormented protagonist haunted by some kind of dread being

Does ironsworn work for horror or not? I've put them on the backburner because it's not what I want right now but I wonder if they'll be fun to play at some point.
>>
>>93944317
>Modern Demon Worlds
What game do you use for this?
>>
>>93945870
GURPS
>>
>>93945938
Playing Modern Demon Worlds using Retro Demon Words?
>>
What ilare some good options or tables for generating initial relationships and favorability between characters?
>>
>play ship combat solely on text with my phone
>tactical ship combat on grid like:

> Cruiser°DownRight
> > C2
> Me > C2°D

>endure 4 miserable hours getting nothing done
>today I recreate each turn on a virtual table top and take screenshots
>my brain thinks it's cool as shit now
worth it
>>
>>93946728
can you picture an apple
>>
>>93946728
>>today I recreate each turn on a virtual table top and take screenshots
bet
I just bought a Foundry VTT key like an hour ago and learning my way around profiles and maps.
Can't wait to get stuck in on some games with it.
>>
>>93946737
yes but if I don't log my solo like it's a CRPG I feel like I'm wasting time. I type out all dialogue and descriptions. I write down dice roll results. I timestamp myself when I accumulate another hour of gameplay so I can give XP at the end of each 4-hour "session".
This was session 20. My longest game yet and thank god my brain rewarded me for this. I guess I need some sort of self-fullfilment
>>
>>93946841
Have you gone back and added any art depicting scenes?
>>
Any advice for someone who wants to try a solo rpg for the first time? I've played D&D 5e quite extensively, but that's my only experience with table top rpgs. Right now I just can't find a video game that quite scratches my itch. Nothing has the narrative depth I'm looking for, mixed with a setting or class design that I like. So I want to design my own setting and play out some stories solo in my downtime.
>>
>>93946495
I usually simplify this for npcs
https://jonwake.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-social-crawl-part-1.html?m=1
Makes it pretty quick to map out a town with friends, relatives and enemies.
>>
>>93947086
Check out resources on the OP if you haven't. If you like 5E and feel comfy fit it you might be set with just that and an oracle of your choice. If you want to play with just one character, Scarlet Heroes is a classic solo game. It comes with an oriental sword & sorcery setting but you can just lift the mechanics and use them pretty much as is in any OSR/old D&D materials.
>>
>>93946778
cool. Have fun dude
>>93946854
not often because even these 20kb map screenshots bloat the converted PDF size

>>93947086
>Rules
If you like 5e and it's adventure presumptions, use that. Mythic GM Emulator is the most popular choice for solo. You play out your system and when you need an unbiased detail on what's happening (is the monster back?) you roll percentile and see if it's yes or no. There's more to that with scenes and tracking chaos but that's up to you.
>GM
On your end, you'll have to come up with what's going on and be your own judge on what makes sense or what's cool. My more successful games was when I wanted to play a certain kind of adventure, rolled a character that's appropriate for such scenarios, and then pitted him against really powerful foes with vendettas or agendas. Lone wanderer types can work, but you'll spend a lot of time world building new stuff and not playing as much.
If you think something is cool. Do it anyways and tie it to the plot.

For my most successful game I made a duelist nobleman because I wanted swashbuckling adventures. A rich and powerful foreign ambassador tried to squeeze the nobleman's sister out of her lands so he could gain residence and rights in the court. The king was ignoring my guy on purpose.
When a friend of his found a copy of the "missing" deed, I asked mythic if he was being watched. He was. So his contact was killed, and the ambassador wanted to talk privately...
>>
>>93945823
I think I've accidentally rolled up a guy who wants to kill his ex-wife lol
(Trying to forget a disastrous love affair as background and avenge a betrayal as a character detail, an embroidered handkerchief as his object of personal significance)
I could soften him a bit now but I think I'm gonna play this out as is and see what emerges.

>>93947086
I don't actually like the guy as an entertainer but Me Myself and Die on youtube does a pretty good job of showing you how to use mythic gm emulator alongside a game to get your story going.

Scarlet Heroes gets talked about/recommended a lot here because it's a fairly complete solo rpg toolbox, I recommend playing out a basic campaign where you just start with a generic "do x in the dungeon" role and you'll see how plots can come out of nowhere.
Once you've got some experience you can start adding mechanics or switching to less purpose built (and probably more interesting) systems where there's a bit more work to make it run solo.

Ironsworn/Starforged is also really good for an all in one solo game too but it's a different type of game to D&D. If you're talking about 'class design' it probably isn't what you want.
>>
>>93947321
really cool, how do you modify it?
>>
How important do you think tables are to a (new) solo product? I'm making a short solo thing and it seems kind of pointless to have adjective/noun/name tables when there's so many options for those out there already. Even the tables I've already, like "Random NPC Occupation" feel really redundant given what exists.
>>
>>93949991
If you're selling something jam as many tables as possible in there
>>
>>93950001
I plan to drop it for free given it's my first ever thing, but I still want it to be actually usable. Unfortunately, thinking up table results is by far the least fun and least interesting part of trying to make an RPG related product. I'm looking for any excuse what so ever to not sit here and type out "brave, smart, tall, cowardly, joyful..." and repeat the process with "Dave, Sarah, Alice, Robert..."
>>
>>93950020
Focus on making unique but applicable tables, many solo games either make oracle tables too specific or too general.
>>
>>93949712
usually cut out the occult/covert/malignant stuff entirely and map it as a sort of flow of gossip, the 'trapped connections' also don't make sense unless you're specifically doing a form of intrigue.

I never actually played the game that far but I did have the idea of using at as a sort of map of the customer base in a town for a healer. Bottom of the chart are the people who might initially agree to employ the PC but they can only pay a reduced rate, the connection are who they'd tell after you did work for them, giving my character a chance to persuade them to employ them.

>>93949991
I think they're pretty essential if you're presenting your work as anything like an all in one. I've tried some solo games without many of them (The Blackoath ones mainly) and they feel pretty incomplete because there's no actual potential for the world to be built up outside of the mechanics.
Always end up asking myself what they offer as a specific solo product that I couldn't get from mythic and an existing system and struggling to find an answer. At the end of the day if I'm going to put all the work in for finding character/setting etc tables myself I might as well just play a big name RPG with them instead of a largely untested solo indie game.
Big part of the reason Ironsworn/Starforged is so far ahead of the pack is because it has tables to create basically every part of your experience. You're never in a situation where it feels like you're having to make stuff up out of thin air instead of playing.
>>
>>93907314
Small addition im playing with to spice up the usually smaller scale of solo stuff. Home brew, every entity has 1 action per turn. With that one action, an entity can decide to take a bonus to that actions likelyhood to succeed (like 50% to 70%), the magnitude of the effect if it succeeds (d6 damage to d6+2), or a bonus against any effect targeting it (like 70% to 50%). But if they take that bonus, they have to take a malus to one of the other 2 categories. So there is a trade of between consistency, big hits, and defenses, or a balance of all 3 in a normal roll.
>>
>>93950899
This also sounds like a good way to intigrate secondary actions that might feel lame if they toke up a whole turn, but do feel like there should be some consequence to do, and not just be free. Like readying a sheathed/holstered weapon or drinking a potion. You can do either while doing something else, like attacking, but you got to decide to take a malus to your likelyhood to-hit, your damage output, or your defenses if you do.
>>
>>93950967
>>
File: 31Fhspe.gif (183 KB, 400x300)
183 KB
183 KB GIF
>>93907314
Hey have any of you guys tried utilizing LLM's for the purpose of soloing? I am working on a "main prompt" outlining how GPT should behave. The ability of these LLM's to do word associations with the emerging narrative as the contextual backdrop seems immense. Would offload me creatively and act as a wellspring of ideas. I mean, you can do so much, if you only instruct them to act in certain ways. If you explain solo concepts to them it seems like you could basically let them handle the whole process, while interacting with them as we did with the text adventures of yore.
>>
Like, upload a lore / splat book and tell the model to use that as the backdrop. Even adventure modules and so on...
I don't have GPT plus yet so I am only asking it questions around how the process would look, and am trying to prompt engineer the "controller document" that I would append to every session.
>>
>>93951368
>>93951359
This is what AI should be used for.
DMing.
>>
>>93951368
>>93951359
Alrhough, with how AI seems to pass the bar exam and shit, i kinda want my own personal AI lawyer who knows all the laws forever and can OutLawyer the rich assholes with their 500000 lawyer kill squads out to make you bankrupt and court'd to death.

Or an AI teacher that can work my dumb ass through Higher mathemetics, advanced chem and actually teach me HOW to think so that i can get the degrees on my own. No uni needed, no brainwashing academia.
>>
>>93951473
I have spent a few days discussing things with GPT-4 and I am mind blown from the possibilities that emerge. First I tried a few experiments where the focus was on me passing "inspirational words" off to it for interpretation, something that soloers can struggle with at times. It can take such word association instructions and use the existing narrative backdrop, If I'm in a scene where the gang is at a classical fantasy trope tavern and discussing the adventure ahead, I could tell gpt things like:

> NPC verbal action
> Topic: The near future (or past or a physical object or a behavior or whatever the topic might be)
> Tone: Disapproval / critique
> Association words: Engage / Limitless (that I just randomly rolled up from a word list, like those in Mythic etc, or the entire english language for that matter)

Gpt will then describe what happens next while adhering to these inputs. It's fucking amazing. And as I said, it can use the overall context to shape the scenes, so if you upload a couple of splat PDF's at the beginning of the session, it can draw from these and tailor its output to fit the information in them.

I have spent a lot of time seeing if LLM's can understand the concepts of soloing, and it is bang on with its responses, and it is helping me to refine oracle mechanics, word association tools and so much more. I am gassed up af and I'm gonna get GPT-4 plus so I can go ahead with this and really nail it down. The flexibility with gpt fucking wrecks apps like AI Dungeon.

I am telling you niggas, this is the future!
>>
Hit up an LLM yourselves and start discussing your tools and your soloing process and ask it for help. Ask it if it can "do this or that" and just have a conversation with it about how it can act as a creative sidekick during your sessions. As anon said above: this is what AI should be used for.
>>
>>93951546
Maybe later when I run out of things I want to do.
>>
>>93951546
Nah AI should be used for making coders unemployed and nothing else
>>
>>93952283
And to find all the Sarah Connors.
>>
>>93952283
Rolling physical dice and talking to yourself is the traditional and thus right way to play.
>>
>>93953333
>talking to yourself

Oh-oh-o-oh
>>
>>93953806
It's all the rage now. Every old person does it naturally. Every. One. Of. Them. You will too. You're just taking a head start to becoming Future You aka The Narrator Of Your Own Life.
>>
Sorry for bothering you, forgive the dumb question, what would be an oracle table? The graphic at the end of the field guide? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>93955534
Yes. That's an example of an oracle table. An oracle table is a table that you use to dictate the outcome of a question. So like "Yes or No" by flipping a coin could be a simple oracle.
>>
>>93955627
I see, thanks a lot.
>>
>>93947321
I feel like this might be too I depth for my intentions. I might just be best off using a system like I have seen in "GM Yourselves". I don't really need to generate who is a lover or. A family member at the moment. Just how characters initially feel about each other even if it is just value.
>>
My favorite solo Rpg is The Man in the High Castle.
>>
>>93954077
Amateur hour. Real professionals have full blown conversations with psychic projections. Tslking to yourself gets boring: talking to a subconsciously manifested tulpa is evergreen.
>>
>>93951522
Until it can reference my entire Obsidian vault without me needing to prompt it, it's still gonna be slower than me. Still, cool that it's getting there. I remember using Cleverbot back in the day, and it barely worked as an oracle.
>>
>>93949991
Unless it's for a specific setting/curated system, I never use tables. Random word gen is way quicker.
>>
File: 1724428726360935.jpg (161 KB, 713x725)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>93956068
>>
>>93951453
The problem with AI GMs is that the owner of the AI now has some legal claim to whatever it comes up with, and potentially your characters.
>>
I really like the concept of solo roleplaying, I can write, dumb bullshit, but I can invent a lot.
>>
>>93954077

I am old, and already talk to myself.

I'm my own best friend.

And to prove how old I have, my response was a riff from an old Billy Idol song, "Dancing with myself."
>>
File: Jojo Campaign.png (121 KB, 1313x351)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>93951359
I'm using it right now. Sillytavern with a Claude 3.5 proxy, using a custom card I made for the sole purpose of soloing. Doing it with Chatgpt wouldn't work since you have no control whatsoever on what the AI gives you, or what info goes to the AI, it's generally shit.
If you get good with Sillytavern, you can even ask it to generate images as the story progresses.
Also, you can do literally this >>93951368
with lorebooks, although probably modules and splatbooks would need a lot of work.
>>
>>93957389
I'm so old I don't even think DWM is old. It feels like it came out just yesterday.
>>
Easy way to start a new game:
Pick a setting from fiction. Ex: Arnold's Conan movies
Pick a PC from fiction Ex: Conan
Pick a few NPCs from the setting as allies. Ex: Akiro, the Wizard of the Mounds and Zula
Change 1 major thing about the setting, the PC and each NPC. Ex:
Hyperborea is ruled by religious orders, not Kings.
Conan escaped the wheel and lived in nature until he became an adult (Ranger Conan).
Akiro met Conan when they were both teenagers and have been a team ever since.
Zula is cursed and transforms into a black panther at night (Cat People meets Ladyhawke).
Pick a goal for the PC from the setting and modify something major about it. Ex: Conan wants to kill his father's murderer, Tulsa Doom. Changed to Conan wants to free his father from the evil specter Tulsa Doom possessing him.
Come up with one or two details to flesh out your game. Ex: Tulsa Doom is trying to convert the people of Hyperborea to his single god religion so he can become the only power in charge.
The party has the secondary goal of helping Zula get rid of her curse, or at least to gain some control over it.
Pick a starting time and location. Why is the party there? Who else is there? What is happening?
Try to use the things you came up with when doing this.
Ex: The party is traveling to a meet a druid they know. Maybe he can help with Zula's curse. They arrive and find the druid's dwellings on fire and Snake Priests (Tulsa Doom's religious order) about to execute him because he refuses to convert.
>>
Are there any templates or useful things for use with Google Docs?
>>
>>93960886
Quite interesting. Taking a literary work and rpgfy it. Hmm, imagine a pulp horror/adventure based on the Shaver Mystery. So many possibilities.
>>
File: Thulsa Doom.jpg (15 KB, 426x423)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>93960886
>Tulsa Doom.
I'm now picturing James Earl Jones trying to do an Oklahoma accent.
>>
I'm looking into the Fighting Fantasy books for a solo experience, should I be ashamed of myself or something?
>>
>>93962896
Gamebooks are legit, and FF is pretty cool
>>
>>93962896
No, why would you say that? I'm not keen myself because I remember them being full of silly "gotcha" deaths and the combat being just boring rolls until you win or die, but people can like things I don't.
I gather more modern gamebooks tend to offer more freedom though.
>>
>>93962986
>>93963008
I thought more savy players saw them as like too easy or too dumbed down. Like an equivalent of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest or something like that.
>>
>>93962896
>>93963187
Stick around and you will find that Solo RPG enthusiasts are the most chill people you'll meet on /tg/. We feed our trolls dog treats for god sake...
>>
>>93963187
I've not really seen any snobbery like that in the solo community, except maybe occasionally around the use of AI. No one here is likely to judge you for how you play with yourself.
>>
Chill people indeed. I am really glad all my preconceptions are wrong.
>>
File: troika.jpg (83 KB, 487x726)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>93963187
The still make games with it's system, believe or not. Also the standalone Fighting Fantasy RPG itself is still a thing too.
>>
>>93963423
That cover is beautiful.
>>
ker nethalas book finally arrived but wont get at it until next weekend. Pretty excited. I've been doing a bit of dungeon/etc crawling to get in the mindset and I've found most of them too simple so I'm excited to see what I think of how crunchy KN is
>>
>>93962896
I you don't mind a digital experience, Sourcery! is a pretty great gamebook.
>>
Sourcery or Sorcery? I searched Sourcery, got Pratchett's books and other stuff.
By the way, started Firestop Mountain, pretty fun so far, I took the liberty of writing a biographical sketch of my character, why is there, also I use the dice to decide which page go to. I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>93964843
>>93964166
They mean Steve Jackson's Sorcery!
If you want to play it as vidya the versions of it Inkle (developer of the great 80 days) made are really good
>>
>>93965136
I see. I will look into it, sounds good.
>>
My silly drawings are enhancing the dungeon crawling experience.
>>
Exploring the Warlock's stinky basement filled with drunk, lazy goblin guards (goblin mall cops), opening doors, closing them, finding gold, having luck and liberating a mouse. Quite fun so far.
>>
>>93965136
The vidya version is a little grindy but still fun
>>
>>93967112
I don't hate grinding, there is certain solace in repetition,I'm crunching the numbers; some people overreact about it.
>>
>>93947779
I think pulling a segment from a 5e game I have run in the past would give me a good idea of how to do things solo. Ultimately I feel like 5e is a bit too high fantasy for me right now. I've looked through the resources in the OP - some things I had used as a DM already, others, like the oracle tools are new to me. I'll investigate scarlet heroes further too, so thanks for the suggestion.
>>93948128
The world building and roleplaying side of things is something I know I will enjoy. Do you find solo games easiest to run with a single pc or do you have any experience running a solo game with a "party"?
>>93949301
Thanks for the suggestions. I was also thinking that a simple "go kill the monster in the dungeon" would make for an easy introduction and I can see how it goes.

Regarding "class design" I find that some video games just don't allow me to build the kind of character that I want to play due to limitations with the game itself or just not having some options available. Obviously in table top I can homebrew all I like to satisfy these quirks.
>>
>>93964039
Started a KN run two weeks ago and i'm having a good time. Look for exploration and combat charts online
>>
>>93962766
I would have paid to heard that lol
Wait... didn't he do something like that in a movie with Robert Duvall?
>>93962896
Gamebooks are great. Way of the Tiger, Golden Dragon, Virtual Reality, Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Fabled Lands, etc.
Fabled Lands are the closest to a solo ttrpg.
>>
>>93962896
My favorite FF books are:
Seas of Blood (Pirates)
Freeway Fighter (Mad Max)
Sword of the Samurai
Appointment with FEAR (superhero)
Demons of the Deep (underwater adventure)
House of Hell (80s horror)
Starship Traveller (Star Trek: Voyager)
Talisman of Death (fantasy in the Way of the Tiger setting)
Caverns of the Snow Witch
Deathtrap Dungeon
>>
>>93962896
>>93969331
Be aware that most new versions of gamebooks have shitty new art. Like throw up kind of bad.
FF is the lesser evil when it comes to this. The new art isn't that bad in general. It' not really good, but it's... serviceable. Way of the Tiger is the worst.
>>
File: Realm.jpg (281 KB, 542x576)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
Looking for a sandbox realm management solo rpg.
Politics, economy, espionage, warfare, maybe adventure missions for heroes.
I play 5leagues from the borderlands and look for something with similar approach for mechanics and events.
Any recommendations?
>>
I'm gonna try a paper oracle, let the dice decide everything, Lottery in Babylon style.
>>
>>93970132
Previously mentioned >>93922389 by same author has pretty good domain play, though it is very abstracted.
>>
>>93957602
Thanks for your pointers. I'm gonna look into ST for sure!
>>
>>93968481
>Do you find solo games easiest to run with a single pc or do you have any experience running a solo game with a "party"?
I can't help you with that. It's hard to balance many sheets but I think it's harder to run one guy that you are really interested in.
My experience with solo was a bunch of failed one one-man shows until I clicked with one PC. His adventures just came out from me by themselves. But we're talking two year intervals between failures.
After that I felt like I found the rhythm with solo, but never got the same flow as with that guy. I play with many PCs now to keep me entertained with different personalities and to try out rules and mechanics I would never try out in a group. It's fun.
>>
Okay, been playing Firestop Mountain, I'm deep in the dungeon (stinky place by the way), got gold, vanquished orcs, ghouls and escaped from a Wight, found an ancient spell against dragons (only the bad ones, luckily). It's been really fun so far, I haven't encountered any unfair bullshit, guess the dice love. I really like that I can tweak the adventure so far, like throwing dice to decide which page to go, or describing battles and scenes with my own words, telegraphic sentences saying how my character does things. Very fun.
>>
I’ve started Sundered Isles, the ironsworn starforged expansion. Starforged was alright but I kind of really prefer naval setting anyway.

Generating the world and start, figure I’ll start as a random stowaway on a boat and work my way up. The generating though…
>medium boat
>roll for figure head, get (FIRE). How do I do make that a figurehead
>roll again, get (PHOENIX). OKAY that lines up
>roll crew and end up with the cursed die activating (a weird feature where certain oracles have spookier versions, I made it so it activates on the extra dies 1s and 10s) and get a zealous crew serving a cursed master
>alright maybe they can be working for an evil spooky faction
>decide to roll captain character
>Get cursed die for characteristics, oracle says she is (AFLAME) for her characteristics.
>Get cursed die for her second trait, get (TRANSFORMING)
I guess the captain is a fucking phoenix. Also for her distinctive feature I rolled the same thing (colourful skirt) TWICE so she gonna have a fancy skirt. Maybe a flaming one.
>>
im sigma maxxing rn
>>
File: imag-2.png (458 KB, 856x595)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
How to make a modern region hexcrawl/urbancrawl? I'm planning to run a horror-like game (with some few lewd elements) while exploring cities and the areas around those but I have no idea how to proceed about them.
Gonna use either MiniSix or Gurps Ultralite.
>>
>>93976817
Could read about how cities work in real life also help?
>>
>try playing solo
>fail again and again to invest in the game
>keep on trying
>always in conflict between the DM tools (which I generally get excited for) and the player tools (which I generally think are dumb and boring)
>realize that despite the fact that I love being a player in most games I actually think I just like solo DMing
>I fucking hate prep when I'm actually running a campaign
>decide I'm going to try out solo DMing and like just making an area and running NPC's and stuff and doing mass combat and emergent dungeon building and stuff
>>
cope general
>>
>>93978663
Nigga dont realize he should be writing
>>
>>93975540
Damn that's a cool setup.
>>93976817
Like a dungeon crawl but rooms are districts
>>
>browsing rpg section of my lgs with a friend
>pick up a book
>”oh is this solo?”
>friend mocks me for looking for solo games
>remind him that the session that I was going to GM last night was canceled because one of our players got blackout drunk the night before and didn’t want to play with a hangover
>”oh yeah…”
>>
>>93980654
Glad to have you back. Have a bunch of Halloween-themed treats you good mascot you!
>>
>>93976817
There's a game for you that does that already.
Alone Against Fear. It's based on 4 Against Darkness.
>>
This is how I become a pulp writer, finally.
>>
>>93981797
2 of my PCs are now pulp under a giant basalt square rock trap. Potery!
>>
>>93981466
Not what I'm looking for but thanks anyway
>>93981200
>Like a dungeon crawl but rooms are districts
Maybe, will check that
>>
>>93982679
The magic of imagination.
>>
I really want to do something like this with Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
>>
>>93981132
Not a game.
>>
What do I need in front of me to play Ironsworn and/or Starforged? Besides dice of course

Can I get by with just a phone, should I be able to print a couple of sheets and carry a folder around? I want to play during my lunch breaks at work so I cant be at my PC.
>>
>>93984664
Character sheet and something to take notes. And whatever parts of the rules and tables you haven't memorised, which is probably most of it if you're asking.
I think there's a website that will do all of it including the dice, but don't recall the name.
>>
>>93984664
I have a character sheet, the move printout thing (4 double sided pages from the website, probably could be smaller), a noteboon where I record the story/log the play, and an extra dollar store sketchbook where i keep shit like misc world and character info or progress rolls (so I don’t have to thumb through my notebook while writing). You could probably skip the movelist and make your own character sheet in a sketchbook or cuecards, but I got everything and a little dice container in a little courier folder bag I keep in my laptop bag so I can play while I’m stuck waiting on a job (as I often am). For any pages or cue cards I keep them together with one of those binder clips. I also keep pencils and dice in a little pencil bag in the folderbag thing.

>>93984694
https://nboughton.uk/apps/ironsworn-campaign/#/
https://nboughton.uk/apps/stargazer/#/
Theyre good sites but I prefer having a bag and notebook as I can look back and see it fill up with story.
>>
>>93984335
Writing is a game of arranging words to communicate s meaning to a reader, if the reader likes your arrangement you win.
>>
Now I need to battle a giant spider while wearing boots that are trapping me yet they are so fashionable. Wish me luck.
>>
>>93985198
A giant spider wearing fashionable boots?
>>
>>93985031
Straight facts. And this is also why it gets my goat when people call solo rpgs "just writing a novel", because as demonstrated by that description, they're two very different types of game.
>>
>>93985999
Sorry if that wasn't clear, I was the one wearing the boots, still wearing them after defeating the spider. They put a cave inside the cave.
>>
>>93986143
>They put a cave inside the cave.
yo dawg
>>
>>93986241
That's Warlock's life.
>>
>>93984335
yeah not if you take out the player tools
>>
20 gold pieces for a candle! Vampires are better than this shopkeeper. Not even in fiction one can escape inflation.
>>
>>93978663

Try playing as a GM and using the oracle to emulating the players rather than the other way around
>>
>>93984824
>https://nboughton.uk/apps/ironsworn-campaign/#/
>https://nboughton.uk/apps/stargazer/#
>Theyre good sites but I prefer having a bag and notebook as I can
NTA but I personally prefer pocketforge to stargazer/iron journal
https://pocketforge.rockpaperstory.com/
>>
>>93989151
Looking at it for a few minutes, I can see why. It has its priorities more in order. May try it if i’m out and about with no tabletop
>>
I'm the anon who mentioned using GPT-4 and other LLM's to assist in soloing. Today I talked to GPT about assistance with running gamebooks (I have a fuckton of these lying around on my disks). GPT says that it could easily do it. I just have to provide the PDF's.

Then I started talking to it about various ways that AI assistance could facilitate some form of flexibility where I was allowed to deviate from the structure of the book. The conversation is too lengthy for this input field so I pasted it into a .txt and uploaded it on M3ga for any anons who want to see what I asked GPT and what its responses were. Breddy fucking intriguing if you ask me...

Here's the convo:

https://m3ga.nz/file/
DE1UUQSA#1vFgoQ0RASLar7Jd88BsC7On6Ng2Ytw04qunAEb7efw
>>
>>93990579
My recent games are about battling AI and robots. It would be too weird to use ChatGPT as a GM.
Also, I would be prudent when giving ChatGPD copyrighted materials to use like a gamebook PDF. You never know what the futur will bring when it comes to the use of that information. You might get a fine in 5-10 years because of it. They'r ealready implimenting tools to detect 'illegal' usage of ChatGPT like if you try to create a fake resumé and stuff like that.
>>
>>93991492
They're gonna put me in the slammer for 5-10 years for dropping a gamebook PDF into the ChatGPT window?
Pressing X to doubt over here...
>>
>>93991492
I think you're pretty safe with dnd pdfs lmao
>>
>>93991532
No, a fine in money. It probably depends on where you live and what copyright laws your country has. But yeah, they're talking about doing this using ChatGPT and doing it retroactively. It's kind of a loophole thing. When you sign up they tell you it's public and everything you put in it doesn't belong to you anymore, so putting copyrighted material on a public space is against copyright laws.
>>
I would rather use a slip of paper with YES, NO, Perhaps than AI, it's a matter of principles.
>>
>>93991592
I'm a Swede bro.
Well, I see what you mean. Probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on developments in any case.
>>
>>93991696
I avoid calculators on the same principle.
>>
>>93992061
I won't be slaved by those fucking toasters and VCRs.
>>
>>93992274
>try to go full ludite tree hugger nature boy
>realize I have no outdoor skills
>and that my capacity to learn new irl things is nill
>embrace my computing overlords
>realize I don't have computer skills either
>except for a good grasp of computer game puzzles
>try to adapt my puzzle skills to a ludite lifestyle
>lack of pixels and game logic means it doesn't work
>eat raw fish and unboiled water
>pull a mother of dragons
>crawl back to car and drive my shitty body back to civilisation
>decide to go full Ninja Trutles/Penguin in batman Returns/olph Lundgren Punisher and live in the sewers
>think it,s gonna be cool and that I can use discarded items to live on like a Tunnel King
>I'm just a dirty hobo wannabe with no streetwise skills
>go back to my parent's basement
>climate change floods it
>>
Weird new game. Modern setting (mid-90s). PI PC. The main story is mundane. My PC witnessed a cop comitting murder and is trying to escape his goons and find a way to give the photographs to a trustworthy party. 2nd storyline is supernatural/mystical about the PC's youth and tats on his body (he can't remember anything before his 10th birthday). The tats are marine life-like.
>>
>>93992468
Sounds like a promising sequel to Confederacy of Dunces.
>>
>>93992690
I'm having a hard time imagining how the second storyline plays, sounds too psychological thrillery.
>>
>>93991537
>this company will never set the pinkertons on an influencer they themselves hired
>ppfffththphtpt
>>
>>93989151
oh wow, might give this a whirl. Ive been wanting to try ironsworn
>>
>>93939421
I thought Thousand Year Vampire was one of those. Never played it personally but check it out in YouTube or something.
>>
I'm itching to play something more "web" leaning, JRPG style with party play. I'm looking at Fabula Ultima, Sword World 2.5 and Omega Fantasy. Which one works best for solo?
>>
>>93997883
Fabula Ultima
>>
Anyone here use arcane swords osr solo guide ? I’m about to dive in
>>
I love early 20th Century art, fashion and music, any game with that esthetic? Call of Cthulhu?
>>
Weird question. How does Ars Magica play solo?
>>
>>93998768
CoC is the best bet for sheer amount of pre-existing content to draw from.
As alternatives there are Spirit of the Century, pulpy stuff for Savage Worlds, and Gangbusters B/X version.
>>
>>93998768
If you like pulp:
Justice, Inc.
Daredevils
Indiana Jones (there's 2 different games. I only played the older one. Pretty good)
Horror:
Maléfices (not sure if there's an English version. Some of the supplements are about the 1910s)
Oh, and GURPS has supplements for about any time period and genre. Cliffhangers for pulp, for example.
Bloodshadows, but it's alternate earth, so maybe not what you want and it has some stuff up to the 40s.
>>
>>94000073
>Justice, Inc.
its successor Pulp HERO is also a top tier sourcebook
>>
>>93999394
>>94000073
>>94000104
Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>94000672
If you want a focus on the 1920s, CoC has the 1920s Investigator's Companion in 2 volumes. It's a great resource.
>>
i keep setting up games and then not being able to follow through to actually playing
brain pls cooperate
>>
>>94000964
Thank you. Speaking of games, I'm still playing the Firetop Mountain gamebook, I like it a lot, specially for all the "customization" I can come up with. Currently fighting a fire breathing dog, things got Earthboundy.
>>
>>93975540
Generated the crew so I got some people to interact with or betray me. Theyre a good bunch, though some of these character trait rolls are disturbingly interesting
>friendly flirt first mate
>violent hateful vampire with tooth covered club
>stalkerish ghost girl with trademark item rolled to be (fiddle) and generated moniker is (Fiddle)
>Fit ghost cook, theatening and has an axe
>hot tempered zombie loli deckhand that was generated to have (visable disability) and gen name (Halfhand). Guess she is missing part of her hand. Generated goal is (LEARN RIVAL) and attitude to us is threatening so I guess she’s our rival
>Some girl with a hook hand a poison whip
>middle eastern emotionally detached, visably disabled profession assassian with weapon being spring loaded wrist blade. Goal is (collect debt). I think i generated a fucking assassians creed protagonist. We’ll make the disability missing a finger so the blade can poke out.
>some big sister type protective chacter with cursed brass knuckles

SOME OF THESE FUCKING CHARACTERS. Also several got singer or musician for profession so I guess there’s a lot of music on this ship
>>
That dog was truly a boss fight, but our brave hero roasted him.
I have heard contradictory statements about GURPS, some say the game is too crunchy for solo play, others that one can adapt it to solo play pretty well.
>>
>>94002525
It depends what you're after doesn't it.
>>
>>94002608
Maybe I need to try GURPS Lite?
>>
>>94001976
>half the crew is female
Maximal cursed voyage any%
>>
>>94003405
100%. As fun as monster girls are I’m sure it’ll end badly.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.