[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Edition That Feeds

▶Bans (NOW)
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/august-26-2024-banned-and-restricted-announcement

The Week That Was: Where Dreams Become Reality
https://magic.gg/news/the-week-that-was-where-dreams-become-reality

Metagame Mentor: Discussing Pioneer with Bloomburrow
https://magic.gg/news/metagame-mentor-discussing-pioneer-with-bloomburrow

▶Spoilers
http://www.magicspoiler.com/
https://mythicspoiler.com/

CONSTRUCTED RESOURCES
▶Current meta, complete with deck lists
https://www.mtgtop8.com/
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/
▶Build and share casual decks
https://deckstats.net/
https://tappedout.net/

CUBE RESOURCES
▶Build and share Cubes
https://cubecobra.com/landing

CARD RESOURCES
▶Search engines
https://scryfall.com/
https://mtg.wtf/
▶Proxy a deck or a cube for cheap
https://www.makeplayingcards.com/
https://pastebin.com/9Xj1xLdM
▶Play online for free
https://untap.in/
https://dr4ft.info/

▶What is EDH?
https://vocaroo.com/1ihc21gJLBh1
▶Previously:
>>93915958

>TQ
Favorite creature type no one gives a fuck about?
>>
File: Imprison in Flint.jpg (116 KB, 744x1039)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Continuing to post custom cards now that /ccg/ is dead
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (440 KB, 1488x1039)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>93924283
Here the two last ones.
>>
Spiders. I hoped for some spiders in Duskmourne, but there's only like 1 even remotely relevant card.
>>
>>93924342
Don't you just love googly eyes?
>>
File: image.jpg (7).png (2.18 MB, 1500x2092)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>93924283
Sounds like fun do you want to pick a theme or depiction challenge?
>>
>>93924228
Holy fuck did they botch that text. Maybe they are A.I. generating their text now too?

"In the darkness she reached for Shay's hand, squeezing it for comfort. Then, Shay called to her from the next room."
>>
>>93924434
What's the issue?
>>
File: dsk-201-twitching-doll.jpg (148 KB, 672x936)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>93924388
the other one
>>
>>93924300
The Bloody Wallpaper is incredibly broken.
>>
>>93924283
I'm gonna throw one in cause why not
I didn't feel like searching for the perfect image so I made a slop card
Forgive me for my shame
>>
File: plc-68-dash-hopes.jpg (236 KB, 672x936)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>93924500
This is kind of already a card
>>
>>93924434
The flavourtext is fine, the text for delirium kind of sucks though
>card types among cards in your graveyard
Instead of just
>card types in your graveyard
Sounds like I'm trying to reach the length requirement in a school assignment
>>
File: Ultralight Fixer.png (274 KB, 375x523)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>93924283
>>93924300
Hell yeah. Always happy to see.
I'm still chipping away at my 2nd set. Though, my efforts have been more relaxed since I got the first one done.
>>
>>93924523
Yeah but
The color pie
>>
File: Zonium Ingot.png (244 KB, 375x523)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>93924629
>Doubled up my reminder text
Sad. Fixed.
>>
>>93924228
>Lana reached for Shay's hand
>and squeezed it for comfort.
>Then she heard Shay call to her
>from another room.
>Holding hands is something humans do for comfort.
>Also he called her from such a distance that
>she realized that the hand she grabbed
>was NOT Shay's.
>And was in fact a little goblin creepy thing with teeth
>which was not comforting.
>Also it was dark
>which makes this whole situation more likely, and the confusion justified.
>-T. Wordsalot Faggington
Encore encore!
>>
>>93924283
Turbo pacifism is balanced.
>>93924300
>Wallpaper
You may want this to be a double face card. Where it applies counters on the front side. Then when it transforms it gains control of each card with a counter.
>pirate bird
Treasure token generation should be 1.
>>93924434
There is no error in the flavor text.
>In the darkness, Lana reached for Shay's Hand and squeezed it for comfort.
Meaning she grabbed a hand and thought it was Shay's.
>Then she heard Shay call to her from the next room.
Meaning this moments before Lana realized the horror situation she was currently in where the hand she was holding wasn't Shay's.
>>
>>93924629
Lifeline's flavor text is repeated.
That said, I felt it was kind of a flawed mechanic. You can only use it once per match, so when you play a lifeline, more likely then not every single lifeline in your deck becomes a worse version of another card at best and dead draw at worst. So, a set that uses it as a mechanic will incentivize you to use as few cards from that set in your deck as possible, and to not use cards from that same set together, disencouraging deckbuilding and incentivizing you to add 3-4 lifelines to shit out value once a game and ignoring them otherwise. Did you find a way around that?
>>
File: image.jpg (8).png (3.11 MB, 1500x2092)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB PNG
>>93924651
It's not that there's an error, it's just clumsy and doesn't read well.
>>
File: 1721022198577000.jpg (144 KB, 672x936)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>93924631
Fuck the color pie absolute nigger shit that Rosewater only brings up in the context of not giving white anything useful. He'll print new shit for blue in every god damn set but when people ask him to print another white card that does something another white card does, he says it's a color break.
>>
>>93924679
is sunfall not enough
>>
>>93924660
>That said, I felt it was kind of a flawed mechanic. You can only use it once per match, so when you play a lifeline, more likely then not every single lifeline in your deck becomes a worse version of another card at best and dead draw at worst. So, a set that uses it as a mechanic will incentivize you to use as few cards from that set in your deck as possible, and to not use cards from that same set together,
>disencouraging deckbuilding and incentivizing you to add 3-4 lifelines to shit out value once a game and ignoring them otherwise. Did you find a way around that?
I did not find a way around that because it is the intent. I think mechanics that put unusual pressure on deckbuilding make constructed a more interesting place.
When you're choosing scant 1/2/3-ofs and which options to slot out to include them, you end up with decks that are more nuanced to build, and games with more variety. Lifeline promotes that.
It may not be a "Good" mechanic in the traditional sense, but I think it is a healthy mechanic for the game at large if it is balanced properly. "But I don't want more than one in my constructed deck!" Yes, exactly. That results in interesting outcomes that other generic always-a-4-of mechanics do not.

As for limited, it's perfect there and I'm incredibly happy with how the overarching decision making of choosing when and where to deploy your Lifeline impacts each game.
>>
>>93924672
It really isn't clumsy. It actually would be the easiest to translate into film or animation like it were a scene from scooby doo.
>>
File: hori.jpg (752 KB, 1428x1998)
752 KB
752 KB JPG
>>
File: Diogenes(1).jpg (127 KB, 744x1039)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
A silly card with some unusual design space
>>
>>93924723
bobs :DD
>>
File: download.jpg (351 KB, 1875x523)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
As for the set itself, it is a (very) loosely shard-oriented set with the main theme "Type Tribal". Bant Creatures, Esper Enchantments, Grixis Artifacts, Jund Instants+Sorceries (Combat tricks), Naya Lands.

When i say loosely, I mean very loosely. The current only >=3color cards are at mythic rare, with most of the set settling into vague shard synergies that often settle comfortably into one color pair or the other.
>>
File: fdn-227-llanowar-elves.jpg (130 KB, 672x936)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
will it save green?
>>
>>93924651
>Treasure token generation should be 1.
given the randomness it's 100% going to be unplayable at 1. I'd say 2.
>>
>>93924759
It'll kill any aspect of interesting deckbuilding Green had left
>>
>>93924784
but green had no decks in standard.
>>
>>93924730
why is it clinging to frank frazetta's back?
>>
>>93924787
This is literally just not true????????
>>
>https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=59062&d=642342&f=ST
simic bros we are back in standard
>>
>>93924803
Black or Red splashing Green doesn't really count and you know it
>>
>>93924711
You can translate literally anything into film. Starting a sentence with the word Then is clumsy and the phrase "she heard Shay" sounds awkward.

"Lana squeezed Shay's hand for comfort in the darkness, then Shay called to her from the next room"
>>
>>93924832
Domain and Caves are both Green decks at their core and I'm not gonna pretend otherwise
>>
>>93924803
yes
>Gruul decks are 90% red with some green utility cards thrown in
>Golgari decks are just mono black with dreadknight and Glissa's
>Selsnya decks are mono white with a tough cookie or sentinel
>4/5 color domain just run herd migration as their only green card

green is in such a weak position right now,
>>
>>93924723
I'd draft a manyuu hikenchou custom set desu
>>
>>93924846
My dude that is unironically worse writing. Because you omitted the part where is blindly feeling around in the darkness for Shay.
>>
>>93924867
>Domain
Maybe when it had Topiary Stomper you could argue something.

>Caves
It would be generous to call Caves even tier 2.
>>
>>93924821
kek this shit reads like a draft deck
this is what happens when wotc stops printing power cards into standard
>>
>In the darkness, Lana's hands aimlessly groping in search of Shay. Her fingers coming into contact with a hand that she then squeezes. Then she hears, from another room, Shay calling.
>>
>>93924735
yes
>>
File: 1699981174420340.jpg (2.31 MB, 3360x1872)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
It's over, isn't it?
WotC can no longer come up with an original design because everything has been done before.
>>
>>93924934
>Lana, in the darkness, reached, for Shay's hand, squeezing it, for comfort. Then, she heard Shay, calling to her, from the next room
>>
>>93924947
I blame the people who hate anything new.
>>
>Lana reached out to grope Shay's ass for comfort, but felt a hand instead. As she started guiding the hand into her pants, she heard Shay's voice in the other room.
>>
>>93924960
Remember Battles, the big new card type they hyped for months?
>>
>>93924947
nuMagic design in a nutshell:
"Let's break the color pie for no reason!"
"Let's take a thing we already did, and power creep it!"
"Let's not playtest that!"
>>
>>93924896
>my dude
> . Because
I don't think you're in any position to criticize someone's writing. The horror is not that she has reached out and grabbed a creature, the horror is the realization that her source of comfort is about to eat her.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (86 KB, 1372x1008)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>Liliana reached out to grope Gideon's hand for comfort, but felt scales on a hand instead. Then she hears Gideon's voice in another room.
>>
Is putting high value cards double sleeved with perfect fits and a penny sleeve retarded? Binders are annoying and I want to just sort everything by color and then first letter in those BWC boxes. Is single sleeving in a perfect fit for storage fine?
>>
>>93924960
Power creep is lumped into the "new" category.
Making something that deprecates the old is a destruction of the old.
Yes, OLD GOOD, NEW BAD in every case where the new is actually shit.
>>
File: 1713762798076074.jpg (120 KB, 672x936)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>93924979
I mean the only hype they manage to generate these days is when they break the color pie or make a card just straight up better.
>>
>>93924975
Battles are good. They certainly didn't powercreep anything. They don't break color pie. There's plenty of potential design space. Yet I see people hate on them constantly.
>>
>>93924987
Bolas is supposed to be ~18 feet tall.
The fuck is this art? Why can't they keep ANYTHING consistent?
>>
File: 1621892091761.jpg (93 KB, 620x670)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>93925000
>Battles are good.
IMAGINE being a shill and actually having to say that with a straight face.
You bring shame to your entire lineage.
>>
>>93925000
Battles are really cool but IDK if we'll ever get one that's properly Constructed playable
Like we'll get one and it'll be a good sorcery that you never ever flip so it might as well have not been a battle at all
>>
File: 1694231501504225.png (1 KB, 186x186)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>whenever X enters...
>whenever X attacks...
>whenever Y do Z
>whenever X dies...
>all on something with some extra key words and too much P/T
>>
>>93925000
>Sorceries, but gayer
>"good"
lmao
>>
>>93925000
Battles are bad for a similar reason why planeswalkers are bad. They create a subgame where you have to stop playing the normal game and fight over this permanent in order to not lose the normal game. They're also a brand new permanent type, so 99.99% of cards can't touch them. It leeches from the design space because you have to print cards specifically to interact with them, and those cards are worthless if they stop printing that special new card type.
>>
>>93924631
The suicide black thing is well within Blacks color pie, and is damned if you do decisions.
>>
>>93924987
giwtwm
>>
>>93925037
This is very well articulated and correct.
Printing new card types just so you can say you have new card types isn't interesting and it isn't needed.
>>
>>93925037
Idk if that's fair
Planeswalkers are bad because they sit their generating value forever unless you engage in the subgame
A Battle is only gonna generate extra value if you dedicate attackers or damage to it, and imma be real with you chief, nobody does that in constructed because swinging for face is generally gonna be better than getting a little extra value
>>
>>93925037
>They create a subgame where you have to stop playing the normal game and fight over this permanent in order to not lose the normal game
So like enchantments? The boomers ITT sicken me
>>
>>93925000
Battles are solid, and a considerably better new card type than planeswalkers were.
>>
UNLOCK THE SMALL ROOM
DO A THING
UNLOCK THE OTHER ROOM
DO A BIGGER THING

10/10 maro keep it up
>>
>>93924730
So you Diogenes, 3 other fungi and a non-fungus creature.
>>
>>93925063
Most enchantments don't threaten to drown the game and value for no additional cost and for cheap.
Most planewalkers hit the field, then you no longer need to pump resources or mana into it. It's just a timebomb.
Bad comparison NIGGER.
>>
>>93925009
Yes, battles are good. I'll keep saying it as long as it stays true. You are the reason WotC hates trying anything new, enjoy your hundredth regurgitated kicker variant.

>>93925022
You can easily design them to not be like sorceries. But even if you didn't, yes they're better. Giving more importance for creature combat is good, giving burn more variety than unga bunga hit face is good, making taking damage not trivial is good.

>>93925037
>They create a subgame where you have to stop playing the normal game and fight over this permanent in order to not lose the normal game
The difference is that you're creating the target for yourself. If your opponent drops a planeswalker, you now need to deal with it and if your deck can't, it's fucked. But if your opponent drops a battle, protecting it is almost exactly the same as protecting yourself. Not to mention that your logic could be apply to any powerful card. Ragavan requires you to drop everything and deal with him to not lose, does that make all 1 cost creatures bad design?
>They're also a brand new permanent type, so 99.99% of cards can't touch them
Again with the hyperbole. If you want to prevent a battle from flipping, just block or destroy your opponent's creatures like you would normally. I guess you now have to maybe worry about countering burn spells, I don't see that as a bad thing.
>>
>>93925000
>>93925037
>>93925051
You can completely replace battles with enchantments that have combat related flip triggers. There's no reason for them to be these weird sideways permanents. Did we ever sort out what happens if a Room or a Battle becomes a creature?
>>
File: Untitled.png (143 KB, 800x450)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>93925037
>>93925063
>>93925087
>>
>>93925101
>Untitled
Coward
>>
>>93925101
I don't even know what your point is. Are you feeling okay?
>>
>>93925095
>You can completely replace battles with enchantments that have combat related flip triggers
How would you do that without making it super wordy? You've got a 3 mana enchantment that creates a 2/2 creature token. What do you add to it to fill the same purpose a battle can?
>>
The problem with battles is that swinging into one is fundamentally competing with hitting face to win the game. This means a battle in constructed would need to be one of two things:
>A sorcery
>A win condition
Needless to say either of these outcomes is a design failure. ESPECIALLY if they become a win condition because now we're back at the planeswalker problem where 4 colors can't interact with them with 10 fucking years.
>>
>>93925107
>>93925110
/mtg/ boomertards in shambles kek
>>
>>93925119
>>
File: output.jpg (112 KB, 512x512)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
Decided to template this horrible idea, enjoy
>>
>>93925089
>you are the reason WotC hates trying anything new
>some randoms that bitch about MtG here of all places are the reason WotC is just bound and can't do anything creative or cool booooooohoooooooooooooooo because of the....t-t-toxic fanssssss booohoooooooooooo...........
Holy fuck, get real. You don't believe this shit. Almost every online space of MtG is basedbots praising the game to infinity and being absurdly positive. The only time that paradigm shifts is when WotC shoots itself in the foot yearly and announces the "Kicking Puppies to Death Program" and even then their PR blunders are forgotten in a week because they released some new meme Secret Lair that everyone on Reddit claps for.
The only thing stopping WotC from doing something new, is WotC (and being bad creatively and usually just making bad decisions aka Companion and the like)
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>93925087
>Most enchantments don't threaten to drown the game and value for no additional cost and for cheap.
What battle is threatening to drown the game in value for cheap lmao. Here's a 3 mana enchantment that draws you an extra card every turn, where the fuck is the battle that does that? If battles were actually as broken as you seem to think, people would be playing them already. WotC were correct in being cautious in the first round, they can now adjust the power level in the second go.
>>
>>93925112
did you have an aneurism while typing that?
>>
File: Essence of the Goblin.jpg (148 KB, 744x1039)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
Forgot template
>>
>>93925140
No I'm just sick right now so my brain isn't all there.
>>
I'm starting to think the design team at WotC needs a southern style round up and tree decoration festival. The last three blocks have been utter shit gamebreaking OP nonsense. Power creep isn't even an appropriate term for this block.
>>
>>93925111
It already has a shitload of words on it to describe the function of a battle. Just have it say "if your opponent takes X amount of combat damage in one turn, flip it".
>>
>>93925153
They'll continue to push power levels until their sales take a hit. Same thing with Modern Goyrizons where it hard rotates the entire format.
>>
Which archetype is shaping up to be good for Duskmourn prerelease? Boros or Gruul aggro?
>>
manifest dread
>>
>>93925130
If someone posts a meme reaction image and calls me a shill for simply having a dissenting opinion, I'm not going to be typing out a serious reply like I did for the other posts. I don't care if other people love or hate the game, I'll form my own opinion on it. I don't care if WotC is curing cancer or mutilating puppies, if I don't like their stuff I won't continue playing. I do like battles, so I'll keep advocating for them.
>>
>>93925188
Why do you like battles?
>>
>>93924300
What's a Zailor?
Also I feel like THE Bloody Wallpaper should be legendary, if only for the name. Otherwise it's just "a" bloody wallpaper.
>>93924500
>it's controller
>>93924679
>noooo one of the most played colors is le oppressed!
Whitesissy persecution complex is the most hilarious staple of these threads
>>
>>93924784
And that's a good thing.
>>
>>93925198
I've already explained it in >>93925000 and >>93925089, but just for you:
They're basically what planeswalkers should've been. The WAR walkers that only downticked were a step in the right direction, battles are another step above those. One of the things I really hate about planeswalkers is that despite ostensibly being able to be destroyed by creatures, most of the time that's unreliable at best. Either the walker itself acts as removal, or they get dropped right after a wrath, or they have removal as backup, etc. With battles, the onus is on the one playing it to get damage through. In most situations, the opponent doesn't have to change their game plan significantly or bring in sideboard cards like they might for planeswalkers/enchantments/artifacts, the battle is simply an extra tactical decision during the game.
>>
>>93925238
I have to agree. Battles are actually balanced unlike planeswalkers.
>>
>>93925238
>Uh actually the walkers with static abilities were a step in the right direction
NO. FUCK. OFF. That was the most aids shit ever.
>>
>>93925251
>NOOOOOOOOOO ONE PLANESWALKER HAD AN OVERTUNED PASSIVE AND NOW IM GONNA SHIT AND CRY ABOIT IT
>>
>>93925251
The static abilities aren't an inherent part of their design. There's regular planeswalkers with static abitilies too. There's nothing stopping you from having downtick only walkers with no static abilities. Would you write off all enchantments just because a few are broken? Be reasonable, anon.
>>
>>93925261
>one
>>
Will it utterly break something or be unplayable garbage?
>>
>>93925381
omniscience is coming in foundations, so there might be some meme combo
>>
>>93925381
I've been playtesting against DSK reanimator decks and this shit is broken af with vehicles, rite of the moth and say its name. Wizards broke standard again, you cannot win after Val is on the field and they will have to ban it (in December, lmao).
>>
>>93925381
How do these retards tunnelvision so hard on shit like this when their favorite color has tapping things as a gimmick.
>>
>>93925358
Other than Narset, who was aids?
>>
>>93925435
>Smuggler's Surprise
>Kona
>Say its Name
>That Thrice Called Mofo
>Fabled Passage
>Fucking Ward - Suck your opp's dick
Prepare my friend, they broke standard very badly with DSK.
>>
>>93925437
le hearthstone 3 mana magic black man
>>
File: 1716680275229660.png (26 KB, 292x278)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>93925437
>
>>
>>93925474
I know it's hard to read, but 3feri was not a downtick only planeswalker and thus not what the post was talking about.
>>
>>93925483
Ah, there was a bit of miscommunication then. You were only ever talking about the downtick walkers, while the one reply was about static abilities on walkers in general.
Downtick walkers with static abilities is the definition of one step forward and two steps back. I don't think there's been any downtick walkers since WAR, but now it seems like most planeswalkers since WAR have had a static ability.
>>
>>93925061
A Cave sweepers deck exists that uses the battle sweeper and then red sweepers that hit battles. It isn't Tier 1, but it is a deck.
>>
>>93925087
TBF really old school enchantments can. Necropotence, Chains of Memphistophles, The Abyss, propaganda.

However these are very mild (with the exception of The Abyss) compared to Planeswalkers.
>>
>>93925522
Ok, glad we could clear that up. Again, as I already said here >>93925271, downtick walkers wouldn't have to have static abilities at all, that was just a WAR thing. Battles could basically be just that. Something like

Powerstone Quarry 1R
Battle - Stockpile
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove 1 defense counter from Powerstone Quarry and create a treasure token.
Defense: 3

So opponents can choose on the go whether they want to try and deal with it to prevent value, or just go face if they don't think it'll be a big deal. But even if they can't deal with it, it's not an endless source of value like planeswalkers with static or uptick abilities. It can be dealt with through combat or burn, unlike artifacts/enchantments.
>>
>>93925381
Break.
Be fucking prepared for another "Sorin" case specially with some ramp. Thisbretards just don't even learn.
>>
>>93925614
So basically a saga that can be attacked to end it early. Not a bad idea per se, but I'd still be wary of it. It still has the fundamental problem that all these attackable permanents have, which is that they need to produce enough value to justify attacking and balancing that properly requires gracefulness that WotC desperately lacks. If it's not worth attacking, then it's just an artifact/enchantment with vanishing that dodges normal removal.
>>
File: 1710034978762681.jpg (95 KB, 500x427)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>93925381
This will enable easy turn 3 wins in standard. You just need a vehicle and a mana dork on turn 1 and 2, then you play this guy on 3, tap him, and throw your Atraxa, Valgavoth, Omniscience, or whatever on the field.
>>
File: Camel.jpg (1.41 MB, 1914x1330)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>TQ
For me? Camel
>>
>>93925730
I'm more concerned about it being used for raw value than combos, at least in Standard. Requiring 3 pieces on the battlefield to play an otherwise nigh uncastable fatty from your hand isn't trivial.
>>
File: Ancient Servitor.png (281 KB, 375x523)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>93924228
>TQ
Constructs
>>
>>93925752
We already know we're getting llanowar elves, and there's a shitload of 2 mana dorks. If they print any good 1 or 0 mana vehicles, you can shove the "combo" into a deck without straining your game plan.
>>
>>93925809
I suppose the question is how many Omnisciences and Atraxas do you put in versus actually potentially castable Big Green Niggas for when the opponent snipes your Kona.
>>
>>93925727
>If it's not worth attacking, then it's just an artifact/enchantment with vanishing that dodges normal removal.
Obviously you'd want to strike a balance where both options are viable in the ideal case, I don't think the existence of battles should depend on that. But that's not all battles can do, there's a lot of room to work with there.

Aether Cache 2R
Battle - Hoard
When Aether Cache enters, choose an opponent to protect it.
Whenever one or more defense counters are removed from Aether Cache, create that many treasure tokens.
Defense: 5

Wizard's Tower 2U
Battle - Location
When Wizard's Tower is defeated by a player, exile it, then return it to the battlefield under that player's control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
Defense: 4

Race for the Oasis 2RG
Battle - Race
When Race for the Oasis enters, create a linked copy and choose an opponent to protect that copy.
When Race for the Oasis is defeated, the victor may search their library for two lands and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Destroy all linked Races.
Defense: 4

You get the idea. They're not balanced and I don't think the wording on the last one actually works, but it's late here and I need to sleep. I think battles have design space that other permanent types don't, or at least would struggle to emulate without a bunch of extra text or rules finagling.
>>
>>
>>93924960
Shut the fuck up faggot jew.
>>
>>93925824
We'll get a powercrept version of Sneak Attack in Foundations, so probably 10 or so.
>>
>>93925381
>T1
Smuggler copter
>T2
Elf
>Turn 3
Kona
>Turn 4
Win
Are they retarded? They killed this play pattern just some weeks ago and we are going back?
>>
>>93925731
Why the hell are beasts fractured into a million different creature types but fantasy races just get dropped into whatever animal they look like?
>>
>>93925087
Lol. Lmao
>>
>>93925868
Really like this
>>
>>93925483
That passive effect has to be one of the most sadistic things they've ever put on a walker, especially in those colours and for that mana cost. It flatout denies your opponent access to the stack at all, meaning you can just counterspell them all day and there's absolutely fucking nothing they can do about it.
>>
File: Again & Again.png (311 KB, 523x375)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
>>93926009
thank
>>
>>
>>93925730
>Valgavoth
oh so that's what the main duskmourn art is depicting, sick as fuck
i've been living under a rock
>>
File: overlords.jpg (419 KB, 1869x527)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
good, bad, unplayable garbage?
>>
>>93926267
Black and Green will see play in reanimator as secondary targets for Thrice-Called and Val
>>
>>93925730
>>93925907
Bruh, its even worse than that
Fabled Passage and Picrel
>>
I dont like triple colour plus decks :(
>>
>>93925397
>omniscience in standard with atraxa in the pool
kek
>>
>>93926267
I will be playing the black one for sure, that's all I can say
>>
>>93926005
Is this even played anymore?
>>
>>93926614
it top8ed a challenge this week
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/6635110#paper
it also has multiple 5-0s, it's a tier 2/tier 3 deck in modern right now
>>
>>93926626
>1% of the metagame
What did I tell you? The card is underwhelming when there are no means to win on the spot.
Are you ready to accept that I was right?
>>
>>93926649
I'm not the guy you were talking to, you just asked if the card is getting played and I just told you it is, it actually has another 2 top8s besides that one (and that's only this month):
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/6634856#paper
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/6625985#paper
If you genuinely think meta share % (in modern of all places) is more important than winning multiple of the most competitive events on MTGO when talking about if a card is seeing play or not, I don't have any reason to stay in this discussion, just forget I replied to you
>>
>>93926690
I mean you as in /tg/.
/tg/ was wrong about this card.
>muh top8
It's gonna be dropped soon unless something broken gets printed.
>>
>>93924947
It has been that way for a few sets now, but DSK seems particularly bad for this. The enduring cycle, most of the manifest dread cards being 100% "new" versions of the old manifest cards from Khans block, leylines, etc.
>>
>>93925037
On top of this, WotC consistently states that one of the problems new players face is "when to attack" or they have issues even wanting to attack in the first place (preferring to leave creatures for defense - its a similar problem to teaching players that life is a resource instead of clinging to every last bit of life that you can). Battles (and Planeswalkers) add more confusion to this. Ok, so you are going to attack - but are you going to hit that battle? It is a layer of complexity that doesn't need to exist.
>>
I hate planeswalkers that ALSO have enchanting effects. Fuck you teferi, the niggest of all pw
>>
File: bok-34-floodbringer.jpg (130 KB, 488x680)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>93924228
>TQ
>moonfolk
>>
Every miku lair has been utter slop and I’m sick and tired of tourists who can’t even name a vocaloid producer sucking them off
>>
>>93924300
Who drew that bloody wallpaper art? Looks too put together to be genAI
>>
>>93926267
Value-wise good enough for std.
Also, there should be some enchantment interaction that makes these much stronger.
>>
>>93925381
When was last time "put thing from hand for free" not broke something?
>>
>>93925207
I'm convinced the people that moan about white are commander only players that want lanowar elves and ancestral recall in white
>>
File: Frying Pan.png (250 KB, 375x523)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>93924283
I've been out of magic for the last two years, but I loved making custom cards. Keep up the great work anons. I hope players take the game from wotc and just make their own format.
>>
>>93927340
>That art
>That flavor text
Jotc would have an aneurysm
>>
>>93926931
Other than the princess bride secret lair I haven't bought one since they stopped doing playsets
>>
File: 1000028406.jpg (5 KB, 239x210)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
is there anything to be aware of for duskmourne sealed? don't really want to check all cards
>>
>All this custom magic talk
I remember way back in the mirrodin/ravnica/kamigawa era I made a bunch of cards off of doom. Got pretty far with it printed a bunch them out and taped them to lands and everything. I don't have them anymore because I let a friend have them and we kinda just stopped talking to each other over the years
>>
Why the fuck is there custom card shit here. There's a thread just for that shit go fucking back there. Just because you don't get enough attention there doesn't mean it's okay to shit up here with it.
>>
>>93927392
Do your own homework fatty
>>
>>93924228
Great set for a.i. art.
>>
>>93927403
you little bitch
>>
File: 2b17.gif (1.07 MB, 268x200)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB GIF
>>93927413
>>
>>93924300
sunless sea was so cool
>>
Low tier casual Standard rn is pretty funny. It's all just people squeeing over cute their blumburrow tribal decks are.
I'm gonna enjoy it while I can before Duskmourne kills it
>>
File: 1726598394256145.png (274 KB, 1086x601)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
3 more months till frog is gone
>>
wait are we really not getting any new cards till next year? is the eternal spoiler season finally over?
>>
>>93927878
Foundations is in November.
>>
>>93927878
foundations comes out in novemeber
jumpstart 2025 comes out in december
>>
>>93927894
Jumpstart is alongside Foundations.
>>
>>93926876
>WotC consistently states that one of the problems new players face is "when to attack" or they have issues even wanting to attack in the first place (preferring to leave creatures for defense - its a similar problem to teaching players that life is a resource instead of clinging to every last bit of life that you can)
I know this is true but I seriously wonder how Wizards knows this in this day and age. Are they just repeating observations they made years ago and are just parroting it through the years? Because it's completely fucking baffling that they know this fact or would renew their understanding of this fact and ignore all the other problems facing new players like I don't know stores being dead or the fact that there's no entry-level paper product. Okay so players still don't know when to swing, and now they're all playing EDH as their introduction to the game, which isn't a good skill-building format in the slightest. It's like being concerned that players can't cook for themselves when they don't even know how to feed themselves.
>>
Can't wait to go back to Tarkir.
>>
How do you actually get better at the game? Assume I'm already playing a tier 1 deck.
>>
>>93928200
only thing I want from return to tarkir are panoramas
>>
>>93928223
Cheat
>>
>>93928223
No matter the situation there is always the right play. It doesn't matter what the outcome is, like poker, it's the move most likely to help you win.

Decks pilot themselves nowadays, so there is less thinking involved than before. The right play is almost always the decision that yields the greatest reward so always try for the biggest gain. In time you'll learn how your opponent's deck plays and can learn how to make better decisions in that context and get better, but a good start is to simply make the play for the largest impact.
>>
>>93928223
you get experience by playing the game
the most straightfoward way of improving is taking notice of your misplays and remembering to not do them again
>>
>>93928223
Don't overextend into the boardwipe
>>
>>93928200
I, for one can't wait how they'll destroy the lore and set aesthetic
>>
>>93926876
>Ok, so you are going to attack - but are you going to hit that battle? It is a layer of complexity that doesn't need to exist.
Are you for real? That's like saying lightning bolt is an extra layer of complexity over strangle and so it doesn't need to exist. Learning when to attack is part of the fucking game.
>>
>>93928424
Industrialized Tarkir...
>>
>>93928200
if youre a fan of tarkir you really shouldnt be hyped for that after what they did to kamigawa
>>
>>93928541
I disagree with the sentiment that it is a layer of complexity that shouldn't exist. The game should be more complicated.

The fact is most players can't handle the complexity. I've read numerous Cube articles from "veteran" players who refuse to use Initiative despite it being degenerate maximum power creep that they enjoy not because it's too powerful but because they can't mentally follow another thing on the battlefield. I really don't think this is a piece of complexity that's bad for the game. Yes, it is too powerful but it doesn't mean having more shit on the battlefield makes the game worse.

That being said, Battles are not complex because they offer a thing that can be attacked. They are complex because they're double-faced cards. And this is my weakness but I think double-faced cards are a pain in the ass. It just adds that layer that demands recall or flipping the card to remember exactly what it does and I think this complexity crosses the line into inconvenience and I really don't think double faced cards should be in the game. There are times where after a match my brain is just exhausted because I'm keeping track of fucking lifelink counters and double faced cards and all manner of invisible information. The fact is that players are unorganized with their side of the battlefield and in some cases obfuscate on purpose information to try and trick you. Invisible shit needs to go like keyword counters; or competing counters like finality counters. Battles can stay if they become something like Kamigawa flip cards but double faced cards need to stop.
>>
I'm seeing Duskmourn early access and yes, Standard and Pioneer are broken.
>>
>>93928543
>Industralized Tarkir
Complete with modern amenities. And some rhetoric about "SEE! Living under tyrannical dragons was actually good! Sarkhan was right."
>>
>>93928543
guns?
>>
>>93928734
This.
They broke standard with reanimators, free cast from hand cards and giant fuck-off 9/9s with trample, lifelink and ward (suck that dick)
>>
>>93928662
Ok, that's a more reasonable argument. Still faulty, but I can at least see where you're coming from. Every designer needs to make a choice in how many moving parts and decisions there will be in their game. Every player will have some line where a game will be too complex for them and they don't enjoy it. You might want DFCs gone because it's a pain in the ass, for someone else it might be instants and the stack that they want gone because it's a pain in the ass. I assume you would disagree with them in that case, like how I'm disagreeing with you on this one. It's impossible to keep creating new cards without increasing complexity at some point, it'll happen sooner or later. Also battles aren't inherently DFCs, that's just sieges.
>>
>first look at marvel cards exactly 1 month from now
WAKE ME UP
(WAKE ME UP INSIDE)
I CAN'T WAKE UP
(WAKE ME UP INSIDE)
SAAAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEE
>>
>>93929057
Play Magic the Gathering, instead.
>>
>>93929057
if captain america isn't jeskai I'm gonna laugh so fucking hard
>>
>>93929091
I mean, he explicitly fits it both visually and personality-wise (loyal soldier = white, seeks to improve himself and society = blue, passionate defender of justice = red). You could finagle him having green, too, but that's more a distant thing.
What'll really fuck me up is seeing Spider-Man be Gruul or Naya or some shit.
>>
>>93926267
good because they're not legendary
green is domain
>>
>>93929091
How about White Blue or mono Blue with an white ability?
>>
>>93928970
>You might want DFCs gone because it's a pain in the ass
I think you missed my point. I want DFCs gone because they are a source of hidden information, which is where I draw the line. They're not actually hidden information as you can reference them at any point but they still take up some short term memory bandwidth and is required if you don't want to physically take the card out and read the back. I use the same argument against keyword counters. They are problematic because people take shortcuts and represent them with whatever happens to be sitting around and while it's not hidden information, it's potentially obfuscating and the lack of clarity takes up some kind of memory bandwidth. It is enough to contemplate what is in the opponent's hand/deck, it should be a hard line to not add more temporary memorization.

Instants on the stack are not a pain in the same way because the stack is clearly visible. And activated abilities which are invisible only exist for that moment and not in perpetuity like keyword counters.

I am for complexity if it can be easily represented on the field. But we've gone to a place where there are numerous Emblems people don't bother having, with tokens people don't bother having, to Monarch, to Initiative, to Dungeons. And now there are keyword counters and DFC. DFC were tolerable when there were only Innistrad cards and even then we only had to worry about 2-3 of them; they have now ballooned and it really needs to stop.
>>
>>93926267
Almost all of them will see play.
>>
>>93929057
WAKANDA FOREVER
>>
>>93929184
I like battles.
>>
I bought those fake cards from shein someone linked a little bit ago
Might make a list with what came and how good they were.
>>
will i get dq'd at a compREL event for using foils? what if my whole 75 is foil? i want to foil out my fav deck and run it but dont like the idea of getting fucked over for doing it
>>
>>93929149
I think you missed MY point, which is that you have your own line in the sand, but other people will have a different one somewhere else. It'd be impossible to satisfy everybody.
>a source of hidden information
That's been in the game since the start. You mentioned keyword counters, but there's been tons of different types of counters and if you start moving them around they can have different interactions (charge counters come to mind), people take shortcuts with those all the time. Things like summoning sickness or if you played a land for the turn can potentially be shown on the field, but rarely are. Mechanics like storm and miracle require you to play different and keep track of certain things.
>the stack is clearly visible
I've had multiple newbies tell me they were confused about how the stack works, because again like you said people take shortcuts. Not to mention that there can be multiple spells all targeting multiple different spells, which is almost never represented physically in paper.
>But we've gone to a place where there are numerous Emblems people don't bother having
I don't see how that's a fault of the game? If people played Monopoly but didn't have the chance and community chest cards, that's on the players, not the designers. At worst you can use a piece of paper and write a reminder, that's not hard at all.
>>
>>93929220
Don't play with foils at competitive REL. Seriously all they do is make life more complicated for everyone. Be courteous and don't bring foils to anything serious. Even avoid doing it at FNM.
>>
File: PXL_20240918_180840318.jpg (512 KB, 2411x1911)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
>>93929216
Yeah I'll play Gauntleoof Might and Gauntler of Power
>>
>>93929230
>That's been in the game since the start.
I don't believe that mistakes made in the past justify repeating the mistake and exacerbating the problem further. Traditions are not inherently good. Storm does not return to the core game precisely because it requires tracking an additional invisible thing.
>>
>>93929286
What about summoning sickness and playing one land per turn?
>>
Confirmed this card was mistake.
What a fucking retards WotC are...
>>
For anyone familiar with Pioneer, what's the general wincon of Lotus Field? I've looked at a few lists, and it seems like they run a wish-like effect to grab a second sun from the sideboard and win using that? Is that the main one, or am I missing something? The main thing is just that Lotus Field paired with various untap effects just generates a ton of mana, you have some way to dig through your deck and win from there?
>>
>>93929400
Azorius variant just wants to sap your will to play.
>>
>>93929232
>don't use magic cards to play magic
fuck that noise, all my foils are warped, that doesn't make them marked cards
>>
>>93929400
>what's the general wincon of Lotus Field?
it depends on the list
>I've looked at a few lists, and it seems like they run a wish-like effect to grab a second sun from the sideboard and win using that? Is that the main one, or am I missing something?
that is the most foolproof way of winning yes, but you also have:
- lair hydra for lethal
- chandra loops
- peer into the abyss loops
>The main thing is just that Lotus Field paired with various untap effects just generates a ton of mana, you have some way to dig through your deck and win from there?
yes, usually putting a lier into play with a bunch of untap effects + some tutors/cards to dig in the graveyard is enough to get omniscience and then you just go through the motions to find a wincon
>>
>>93929326
>Leyline is design mistake
Wow who could have thought?
>>
>>93929538
not WotC, that's for sure
>>
The only okay Leyline is the one that gives the player Hexproof because fuck Thoughtsieze
>>
Also Void because fuck graveyard cheaters
>>
Which color mana do brownskins play the most?
>>
Going away for a week with some friends. We have 4 people and we usually draft and play a group game. Any ideas for sets? Nothing too expensive
>>
>>93929703
Just play any color you want bro
>>
>>93929703
You guys seem to play every color.
>>
>>93929706
Kamigawa ND
>>
I like the idea of Beasties. I liked the Beasties short story a lot. But the execution on the cards is meh.
>>
>>93929731
What execution? There's like three of them in the set and they don't have any shared mechanics.
>>
>>93929749
I mean, yes. That's the point.
>>
Now that dust has settled and we all agree wotc ruined kamigawa.
How will wotc ruin Lorwyn and Tarkir?
>>
>>93929773
Cyberpunk Kamigawa ruled and I'm not gonna pretend otherwise
>>
>>93929773
>Now that dust has settled and we all agree wotc ruined kamigawa.
Now hold on, cut them some slack.
They're didn't JUST ruin the plane. They're besmirchers. Soilers. Talentless hacks of the lowest order. Like King Midas but with the touch of shit. A modern day Saturn devouring all that is good about everything they can grasp.
>>
>>93929731
Duskmourn seems to have too many 'things' going on in it for a single set. The Fears, Razorkin and Glitch Ghosts were probably 'enough' for the monsters, the Gremlins don't fucking matter, the Wickerfolk may as well not exist, the Cellarspawn are just... Kind of there, Beasties have no real presence outside of one legend, etc.
>>
>>93929782
Agreed. The only thing I hated were the flip sagas.
>>
>>93929773
>>93929782
This. Thought it was gonna be awful but it was actually fun, so I'm not as pessimistic about Lorwyn and Tarkir as before. Hopefully there won't be many humans in the former and the khans can make a come back in the latter though.
>>
>>93929786
We just got a set with 10 tribes and people seemed to love it.
>>
>>93929823
That's because they all blended together a lot more. The various groups on Duskmourn fit into less cohesive categories.
>>
>>93929823
Grouping certain tribes into larger groups was a good idea
>>
>>93929822
I can see there being like one or two humans on Lorwyn, if not the whole Lorwyn 5 making a comeback.
>>
>>93929834
Why didn't they name those like outlaws in thunder junction btw? I never remember if lizards pair with squirrels or raccoons or whatever.
>>
>>93929849
They initially thought of making a mega-batch of "Animals", which is "basically every real-world animal type", but decided that was too much effort to track and update, and would lead to arguments (like Kavus aren't real animals, but in Magic they are just animals, and Beast wasn't on the Animals list, etc.)
>>
>>93929834
Tribe grouping should be evergreen.
>>
>>93928822
no, dragon dildos
>>
>>93929828
So the problem isn't too many things, it's that the lesser used things should've been used more.
>>
>>93928135
At this point you really have to take anything they say with a huge helping of salt because in practice none of what they say is affecting design. They were lambasted over dungeons (and contraptions for the 10 people out there who cared) about adding extra game pieces with specific rules and what do we see in the DSK design articles? They wanted to do it all over again with rooms and "moving around" through a map. This is long after they would have "learned their lesson" from dungeons and it is also far enough apart that their 1 1/2 to 2 year dev cycle wouldn't account for the issue.

The current devs they have are just spitballing to the extreme. It is incredibly disheartening to see manifest dread be exactly the same cards as original manifest. You will occasionally see them hit it out of the park by accident (plot and prototype were both good and deep mechanics) but we are firmly in the megamorph style mechanic stage of the game.
>>
>>93929703
I like green and colorless.
>>
>>93929834
>>93929878
There were some threads about tribal batching here a few years ago, I'm surprised it took them this long to start doing it.
>>
>>93929902
To a degree, yeah, but there's just not enough space to give everything their due. The Razorkin and Fears got the most play by far, though, and didn't need nearly as much, I guess. Could probably cut the Gremlins, they contribute nothing.
>>
>>93929773
I mean, they already ruined Tarkir in its own block.
>>
Duskmourne definitely feels like the first set featuring a plane a lot more than Thunder Junction and Bloomburrow did. The devs are working as many ideas in there as they can to see what people like and it feels super inelegant and unfocused.
Here's hoping they can refine it in future, I guess, cause what's cool about Duskmourne is pretty cool.
>>
>>93929919
There's a finite amount of designs you can make without adding new components, what do you want them to do? Prototype is basically just a MDFC, plot is basically a variant of foretell. People memed about how every mechanic was kicker for a while, now they're doing different things, people want more kicker mechanics?
>>
>>93929822
>and the khans can make a come back in the latter though
Sidisi is an undead naga controlled by slumgar without any remaining will
Anafensa is a spirit bounded to a tree that probably will die off if people discover where that tree is
Zurgo is living his life as a slave, but he enjoys fighting so that is ok
Surrak is living his best life as a hunter and dragon enjoyer
Narset is living good after she discovered she was on the spectrum, now she has all the benefits of being an autist and a planeswalker

The only cool thing they could probably do is have the khans from the other timeline find a way to enter the new timeline (the surviving ones, i mean)
>>
>>93929951
Sidisi is explicitly brewing a poison to kill Silumgar, last we saw. Narset's also been exiled. Sarkhan seems to have taken up some position of power on Tarkir, but it's unclear what exactly he's been up to.
>>
>>93929946
Prototype does way more than MDFC design. It allows cards to be useful for both limited and constructed - which is always a challenge and it actually has meaningful impact on interactions like blinking / reanimating / effects that care about MV, etc. There is a lot of design space to play around with for prototype.

Plot is just a straight up good mechanic that has deep gameplay decisions. It is a shame that it was really only put on aggro cards in OTJ (for constructed) because where it really puts in work was on cards like Highway Robbery.
>>
File: tmid-19-day.jpg (417 KB, 1344x936)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
>>93929773
someone mentioned here multiple times and I agree with them: they'll bring back pic related in return to lorwyn
it's going to be awful
>>
Looking at Greasefang in pioneer, do you all think there is something to siding into Kona Rescue Beastie and changing into a more midrange vehicle style deck to avoid all of the graveyard hate? My thought is similar to how Phoenix can side into drakes or pyromancers to dodge GY hate
>>
File: Garfield Sagas.png (1.45 MB, 850x825)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>93929919
>They wanted to do it all over again with rooms and "moving around" through a map
That concept will never die, they'll keep trying and never accept it's just trying too hard to make MTG feel like D&D. Pic related.
>>
>>93929944
More Clowns. Less shitty survivors.
That's it.
>>
>>93929999
Don't think so.
But i wonder if Cynical, the UFO or the green Vehicle can be played with the rat
>>
File: bro-35-combat-thresher.jpg (157 KB, 672x936)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>93929976
>it actually has meaningful impact on interactions like blinking / reanimating / effects that care about MV, etc
All of those are true for MDFC. Take this guy for example. The front side would be a 7 cost 3/3 double strike that cantrips. The back side would be a 2W cost 1/1 double strike that cantrips. The MDFC design is way more flexible, prototype just allows them to save on some text and the back of the card. What would prototype be able to do that the MDFC version can't?

I also like plot, but you've ignored my question of what can you reasonably expect them to do. You complained about manifest dread being the same as manifest, while also complain about how adding extra game pieces is bad. How many new mechanics can you actually make without adding new things?
>>
>>93930031
>What would prototype be able to do that the MDFC version can't?
Play sleeveless
>>
>>93930031
God Prototype was such a cool idea why did it have to nearly exclusively be shackled to overpriced dogshit to force a new token nobody wanted?
>>
>>93930097
Not a mechanic, and you could use substitute cards. We both know that's a reach and a half, cmon anon.
>>
>>93929706
Make a bar cube
>>
>>93930128
>substitute cards
The kitchen table asks you to leave
>>
wait why are LOTR cards modern legal anyway? They didn't go through standard and they aren't in a modern horizons set.
Isn't the selling point of this format that it's the greatest hits from standards past?
>>
>>93930147
>kitchen table
Then you're playing casually with friends, so who cares about seeing the backs?
>>
>>93930163
It's gay
>>
>>93930176
you're gay
>>
>>93930123
Same with Rooms.
>>
>>93930179
No you
>>
>>93930186
*kisses you*
>>
>>93930192
Eww fag
>>
>>93929919
The issue I have is not exactly with Wizards but with us. Why are we citing anything they are saying when we are tired of having to consume a box of salt to hide the taste of shit that comes out of Wizards. The trust is just so completely and utterly destroyed at this point I genuinely cannot believe anything more can be learned by listening to anything Wizards says, which is a total tragedy as no future generations of Magic players can be cultivated in this completely gaslit environment. 15 years from now when all these online fat shills that make up the voices in the community have will have zero marketability, who the fuck is Wizards going to anoint as the next maro when he retires. There will be no stores, "competitive" Magic will be owned by the Saudis, and the game will be this weird EDH hellscape invisible to the public.

I'm grateful for Plot being fixed Foretell. But I don't think they will learn the lesson and bring back Foretell in the future like the stupid fucking retards they are. I too also like Prototype because of how it works with Reanimator and Flicker even if it's just a Split card design like every other design out there that's just making every card into a Split card.

Problem is that all the enjoyable shit you could do with Prototype couldn't be done in Limited and is too weak for Standard; and they went out of their way to hobble the Red one to only create clones on cast as if it were an Eldrazi, which is worth mentioning that you can't do fucking dick with the Eldrazi because of their on-cast effects. The funny thing is that the actual crazy good Prototype cards are in Alchemy, a format nobody gives a shit about. I also expect that we'll see a return of the Eldrazi before Prototype comes back.
>>
What if realistic gunsights were enabled by default?
>>
>>93930162
LOTR was originally MH3
>>
File: 1715647630626104.jpg (157 KB, 672x936)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Cute feet.
>>
>>93930162
>wait why are LOTR cards modern legal anyway?
long answer: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/lord-rings-tales-middle-earthtm-format-legality-2021-08-24
short answer: because they make more money this way
>Isn't the selling point of this format that it's the greatest hits from standards past?
nope, that changed after modern horizons 1 came out, pioneer is the format with that objective at the moment, and even that might change in 5 years or so
>>
>>93929999
I don't think it's a good idea
>My thought is similar to how Phoenix can side into drakes or pyromancers to dodge GY hate
that works for phoenix for 2 main big reasons
1. people are encouraged to side out non-exile removal against phoenix because the phoenix player is perfectly happy with just sculpting his hand while casting a removal or a counter here and there until he can have a big phoenix turn, that means pyromancers and drakes are like twice as likely to survive once you present them in game 2
2. phoenix is built to see a lot of your deck because of all the cantripping and card selection it has, you don't have to restructure the deck in order to change plans, as long as you're alive, you'll find what you need

so, relating back to greasefang
1. people don't side out removal against greasefang unless they're on something extremely aggressive, which means that even if they bring graveyard hate, kona is in as much danger as greasefang is even if it's dodging graveyard hate, specially since it costs 4 mana instead of 3 and you need a vehicle in play to tap it immediately
2. greasefang is dedicated a self-mill/discard deck, its built to maximize putting vehicles into your graveyard, which is very different from consistenly having vehicles in hand to cheat out with kona (and something already in play to tap it, as mentioned before)

tl;dr
kona in greasefang is a trap unless you completely change how the deck is built
if you want to play a midrange card in greasefang as a plan b, sheoldred, sentinel of the nameless city or even doom whisperer are better cards because they're good by themselves, you don't need to change the deck to make them work
>>
>>93929773
I wanna know how they will ruin alara which is my favorite plane
>>
>>93930659
They already ruined Alara by fusing the shards together.
>>
is flipping a manifested card an activated ability?
>>
>>93930780
Pretty sure it's a special action
>>
>>93930780
>701.34b Any time you have priority, you may turn a manifested permanent you control face up.
This is a special action that doesn’t use the stack (see rule 116.2b).
>>
>>93928263
using this logic, you're playing a combo deck and you have a t1 win. Do you go for it without information on your opponents deck and risk getting force of willed or wait and see what they're playing and risk getting locked out, t1d yourself?
>>
>>93930335
>nope, that changed after modern horizons 1 came out, pioneer is the format with that objective at the moment, and even that might change in 5 years or so
this is why we need more formats that have a community directed rules committee like European highlander or edh
>>
>>93930746
>fusing the shards together.
wut
>>
File: file.png (547 KB, 488x680)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>Marina can find Valgavoth's Lair
KINOOOOOO
>>
>>93929706
how about you bring a fun boardgame like a seminormal person
>>
>>93929118
you just described white three times
>>
>>93929706
last good draft set was Time Spiral Remastered
>>
>>93930914
>wubrg
what lazy design...
>>
>>93930960
No you don't understand we HAVE to make the deck using our new mechanic a 5 color slop pile because... BECAUSE WE JUST DO, OKAY??
>>
>>93930960
She really should've been Naya or something around there, nothing about her character or mechanics is blue or black.
>>
File: afr-41-white-dragon.jpg (160 KB, 672x936)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>93929118
Spider-Man is easily GW. But who knows, maybe they'll pull an AFR again and do designs based on costume color like retards.
>>
>want to play modern winota
>ocelot pride and ajani are perfect with her
>they're too expensive because of gay energy players
cringe
>>
>>93931021
Are they gay for liking Ajani or because they're playing Energy?
>>
File: blocks.jpg (30 KB, 642x344)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
You could've saved blocks, anon... why didn't you spend more money?
>>
>>93931037
touché
>>
>>93930879
Given you went out of the way to find the most difficult example to challenge the lesson, I feel like you already know the answer to your own question.
>>
>>93931021
>Too expensive
Just buy a few cases of MH3 and sell whatever you don't want to keep. You'll have more money than you started with, and you can do the same every time a set comes out.
>>
So now there's a demon named Valgavoth and a demon named Varragoth in Magic.

Is there really any greater evidence they don't give a shit anymore? Like nobody is talking to anybody in that company.
>>
>>93931073
okay here's a simpler example, opponent played a psychic frog and passed the turn, your only answer to it is a sheoldred's edict. Do you play the sheoldred's edict into daze or do you let the opponent draw with their frog once to play around daze? Or is this also coincidentally one of the harder examples?
>>
>>93931038
>ftv/pds is discontinued because people dont "love it enough"
>yet every consumer ape and his mother will sit in a virtual queue to buy overpriced FOMO-preying, damaged-out-of-the-box SLD sets with only one playable card out of five
>>
Monoblack midrange players go kill yourselves immediately please
>>
>>93931136
And then we get a demon named vaggaloth
>>
>>93931136
They had an entire set where people kept saying the wrong name because Karlov is very similar to Markov, and they don't bother to keep standardized models for their characters, so every new printing is off model.
>>
I do not care for Duskmourn and will not be spending my money on Magic: The Gathering: Duskmourn products. Simple as.
>>
>>93931162
>thunderous applause
>>
>>93931140
You're not interested in helping, you just only want the satisfaction of pointing out the lesson was imperfect, which was implied in the explanation. I don't know why Magic players are like this, always needing to point out the exceptions to every generalization when in real life and here there isn't the space or time to explore every single exception.

A person was asking how to get better with a T1 deck. The implication is that they're pretty new, and pretty new means they won't be starting with Legacy or know or care about the frog. So why are you bringing it up when as I said, it's obvious you know the answer to your own question.
>>
this game is shit
>>
File: 1725127603133139.png (289 KB, 531x614)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
>>93931183
okay so your strategy doesn't hold under scrutiny and you got uppity about it
>>
>>93931218
>thunderous applause
>>
>>93931145
>only one playable card out of five
extremely optimistic
>>
>>93931017
They've generally said they don't do character colours for UB based on visuals (like Black Panther is GW, apparently), though Street Fighter sort of went against that when they made Ryu, who's like the most UR character there is, into W with an R ability because he wears white and has a red headband.
>>
File: 1725666212215695.jpg (76 KB, 1024x919)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
When did all of this pessimism start? WAR?
>>
>>93931263
i'd say its a combination of destroying reprint equity + making every single release about coomander to the point where even coomander players have a problem with it
>>
>>93931263
>>
>>93931145
>collectors spend more money than people who actually play the game
not surprising at all
>>
>>93929993
day/night was sovl
>>
>>93931263
SCG
>>
>>93931161
Karlov came before Markov. Innistrad was where they fucked it up.
>>
File: zen-111-sorin-markov.jpg (178 KB, 672x936)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>93931353
I forgot Sorin showed up even before that, it was Zendikar
>>
>>93931161
Actually that was something forced by youtubers to avoid demonitization, which caught on as a meme. They called it "Markovs at Karlov Manor", or "Markov Manor" for short, because "murder" is a no-no word and they were worried it'd hurt ad revenue.
>>
>>93931263
WAR started the FIRE era. It did not started the outrage, people had regular complaints about story stuff (rightful so) but the cards were still acceptable. By IKORIA wotc returned to release shit without minimum testing (like in Eldraine) and since then it went all the way down.
The pessimism is justified, people not liking this shit have all the right to express themselves.
>>
>>93931263
WAR was a huge breakpoint, but 2011 was another, since that was the start commander precons and the green light to print cards into non-standard formats. I would also cite MH1, since people immediately realized how catastrophic it would be and then it was.
>>
>>93931263
The pessimism started later, but Innistrad was the turning point.
>>
File: 618273612.png (214 KB, 400x399)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
>>93931263
For me it was Magic Origins than BFZ. I had a bad feeling because of the harsh decisions of lottery cards + 2 set blocks. Everything after that was just a downwards spiral of progressively dumber decision making by WotC plus greed.
Limited is still very well designed for most sets, but everything else is terrible.
>>
>>93931263
1. When they took commons and uncommons off the reserve list in
2. Magic 30
>>
>>93931183
There's always going to be that guy who has to chime in when you're explaining to some newer player about blue's counterspells, adding that the other colours have counterspells too, then feeling the need to steer the discussion to something useless like a lecture about the colour pie. It's just the way men are, jockeying for top dog, except these people are almost never the top dog despite their savant knowledge of the game.

The entire ACKSHUALLY meme isn't just a joke, it's a warning to people to cut that shit out when it's just not going to help. But then, the people that meme is targeting have the affliction that prevents them from realizing it's about them.
>>
>>93931263
The moment everyone realized the promise of Modern being "accessible Legacy" wasn't happening, so Modern Masters 2.
>>
>>93931263
Right...there...
>>
>>93931263
For me, it was Kaladesh. They literally added cars to the game, and I didn't like that.
>>
>>93930997
There is a card of hers showing off her Grimoire, which is Blue, and she did make a deal with a demon.
The fact that she's constantly living in an illusion that maintains a state of calm makes me think she should be Esper at most.

Just in terms of the existing rooms though, I don't know why she's Green. There are only four Green rooms. Every other color has at least 6 if you include the Multicolor rooms.
Mechanically she should probably have Red so she can run the UR rooms, which focus on hand size and Room tribal.
>>
>>93931263
>NOOOOOOOOOOOO IT IS A VOCAL MINORITY THAT HATES MTG ON THOSE THREADS
>12 replies of people with 0 hopes on mtg's future
lmao
>>
>>93931693
>IT IS A VOCAL MINORITY THAT HATES MTG ON THOSE THREADS
Nobody says this.
>0 hopes on mtg's future
Nobody said this either.
>>
>>93931693
It is a vocal minority. Reddi tis much bigger than 4chan and they love MTG.
>>
>>93931693
>>93931720
>>93931742
Literally anybody posting online is a vocal minority.
>>
>>93931742
Even sycophantic redditors and twitter users have started calling MH Commander Horizons
MTG is losing its good will bit by bit
>>
>>93931017
What's green about Spider-Man?
>>
>>93931693
>literally whom board on a basket weaving forum
>SEE IT PROVES MY DIPSHIT THEORY!!!!! EVERYONE IN THE WORLD IS TOO NEGATIVE!!!
Literally go outside, retard.
>>
File: 1714870209807326.jpg (256 KB, 1024x976)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>93931693
There's always hope. Hasbro is slowly going bankrupt, and MTG will be up for sale when they finally collapse. Someone will buy it, fire everyone who used to be in charge, then hire new people to run it. We'll have a lapse in sets for a year, then come back with a new frame style, new design philosophy, and new enthusiasm for the future. Things are going to get REALLY bad before that happens, but such is life.
>>
>>93931754
Long overdue
>>
>>93931758
what makes you think the person who buys wotc won't try to squeeze even more money out of it?
>>
>>93931758
Don't give me hope.
I'd get unhealthy levels of pure schadenfreude to see every cancerous WotC employee bitch on twitter about not having a job.
>>
>>93931263
For me, pretty much everything between 2009 and 2015, with the culmination of that being Oath of the Gatewatch.
>Introduction of planeswalkers as a card type
>Introduction of mythic rarity
>When WOTC started printing products specifically for EDH
>Return to Ravnica and Scars of Mirrodin setting the trend of constantly returning to only a handful of popular planes
>Innstriad being pop culture gothic horror
>Theros being pop culture greek shit
>The Jacetice League being shallow pop culture trend chasing that WOTC refused to give up on for years when it didn't fit the tone of MTG
>Eldrazi Winter
>The change to 2 sets per block
>>
>>93930997
>a character whose entire thing is making a deal with a demon that leads to the destruction of the entire plane
>not black
>>
>>93931755
He's your friendly neighborhood spider-man. He supports his community and they support him. One of his main powers is spider sense, which is basically just instincts turned up to 11. Not to mention spiders are usually green. He's definitely mainly white, but I think green secondary fits well.
>>
>>93931263
WAR/MH1 is one of the biggest breaking points. There were symptoms before that, but 2019 is when the sickness progresses to the form we know today.
>>
>>93931787
Because Hasbro is going to run it into the ground, and Magic losing it's profitability will be what kills them. Anyone who picks Magic up out of the mud on the side of the road will do so because they love the game, because the playerbase will have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
>>
>>93931804
>the change to 2 sets per block
I like how WotC's thought pattern was "3rd sets were unpopular so we dropped them" and not "how do we make third sets better?".
It really illustrates how much they care about the game.
>hey is thing currently working?
>shove it in players faces until they vomit!
>people like commander so they'll like companions
>people like secret lairs so they'll like one announced every day!
>people like full-art lands so they'll like them in every set!
>people like more products so we'll have 24 different flavors of the same booster!
>hey is something not currently working?
>give up immediately because that's easy
>>
>>93931238
They also made Frank Horrigan Black/Green because he wears black armor and has green skin. It's very inconsistent.

>>93931017
He's got some blue, he's a scientist and a genius.
>>
>>93931822
Correct. She had a moment of weakness and immediately knew she fucked up. She was naive and scared, not selfish.
>>
>>93931854
That's fair, Bant works too. He's also often more of a trickster than a direct fighter, despite having the super strength to back it up.
>>
>>93931263
The downturn of positive sentiment was going for a long time before it in a pretty gradual fashion, but WAR was probably when it turned definitively negative (specifically, after the metagames settled and it became clear how much it warped everything), and then the entire thing just nosedived once MH1 and the storm of bullshit FIRE design happened. Covid hurried it along as well
>>
>>93931852
>people like full-art lands so they'll like them in every set!
are you really using full art lands as an example of a bad thing
>>
>>93931852
I wonder if WotC would have had better luck with 3rd sets if they had just tried putting their marketing gimmicks later into a block.
Like I'd bet a hypotheticla 3rd set in the Battle for Zendikar block would have sold like hotcakes if they had saved the special Expedition lands for it. Same could probably go for a lot of the alt-art treatments.

That'd still be a very corporate and lazy solution, but at least we'd still have sets with a proper story structure instead of being stuck in perpetual spoiler season hell.
>>
>>93931928
Didn't work for RoE
>>
I forgot what happened with WAR? All i remember was uko and oro raping every format + eldraine standard being a hilarious shitshow
>>
>>93931263
People will say shit like "1993 / 1994" but real dissent didn't start until 8th Edition / OG Mirrodin.
>>
>>93931898
I would generally prefer something like that to be a rare treat instead of every-set sort of thing. I mean the average MTG player is probably a gooner with burnt out dopamine that wants to Return to Ravnica every month and have full-art lands in it, and secret rares and serialized cards and and and.
Makes it boring.
>>
>>93931898
Full art lands was the only thing that made the Un sets profitable. When they put them in every set, there was no reason to buy an Un set any more, so they shoved playable black border cards into them instead. This is ABSOLUTELY a bad thing.
>>
>>93931953
it's just a basic land though
making full arts means that they're meaningful to people who like them instead of literal garbage you throw away as soon as you get it
>>
>>93931936
What do you mean? The first Zendikar set had full art basics, and RoE just had a different set of basic lands.
You can't tell me that saving the full art versions of Zendikar basics for the third set wouldn't have helped sales.
>>
>>93931987
>full arts means that they're meaningful
Why? If full arts are in every set why are they meaningful? Hmmmmmm?
>>
>>93932003
>Why? If full arts are in every set why are they meaningful?
because the art is different, and different art appeals to different people. so if you like it, it's something to collect and use for your draft sets or decks.
>>
>>93932087
So what's the difference between full art lands and not full art lands? Even if the art isn't full art, it would still:
>have different art
>would appeal to different people
>people would collect
You understand in a world where every land is full-art, being full-art is no longer meaningful, right?
It would be like saying "wow foil cards are very meaningful" in a world where literally every card in every pack is now foil.
>>
>>93932106
>So what's the difference between full art lands and not full art lands?
the art is more prominent and not shoved into a tiny canvas surrounded by zero rules text because it's a basic land?
>>
>>93932114
So if every basic land printed from now on was full-art, that'd be unique and meaningful because....uh its...prominent? It'd be unique because it's they do the same thing over and over.
You just have fucking downs syndrome, man.
>>
>>93932134
>So if every basic land printed from now on was full-art, that'd be unique and meaningful because
because the fucking art would be different, the whole point of the card. are you intentionally daft?
>>
>>93931997
Oh, you're talking about alt art and not story or mechanics lol. Can't say I've ever bought packs because of that so I can't comment.
>>
>>93932114
>not shoved into a tiny canvas surrounded by zero rules text
I want my decks to look consistent. That means original frames wherever possible and not full art lands and ESPECIALLY not 10000 special edition SLD collabaration with some corporate media noone other than Americans care about. Full art lands were cool when they were a one-off showcasing the locations focused plane of Zendikar or as part of a promo. When every single set has full art lands, they're not special anymore, they're just another print variant like borderless that further dilutes what a Magic deck looks like.
>>
>>93932218
Yeah, I haven't either. But some people out there do, so it seems like it could have been a sensible way to build up interest in 3rd sets.
>>
>>93932246
i disagree, i don't think full art lands break the basic visual style of magic cards. they still have visible black borders with the name at the top and the "rules text" at the bottom. i think it fits in just fine with regular cards, much more so than actual variant arts and frames on other cards, and to me having my decks look consistent means having a full playset of the full art lands i like with the rest of my cards. you're entitled to not like their look, but the death of magic or the destruction of the visual style they are not.
>>
>>93932291
There's no real difference to WotC between having those sales in the first set or the third. The actual reason that later sets sold less is simple, the majority of people aren't going to jump into the middle of an ongoing thing. It'd be like buying book 3 of a series, without having bought the first two. Hence why book series always taper off in sales, or why TV shows lose viewership as seasons go on. Thus they've axed blocks and opted for shorter chunks, so people don't feel left out and can jump in at any point. Then for the people who actually care about lore and story they've halfheartedly pieced together the scraps to try and create something resembling a coherent plot.
>>
>>93932176
Is the art different on each set of non-full art lands?
The answer is yes.
So I don't know why you keep spinning around "the land art is different every time! Its different every time!" like a fucking moron.
If you prefer full art lands, that's great and I'm happy for you. Just understand that if every single land printed is full art that does not make FULL-ART lands unique anymore. It is now the norm. The FULL-ART aspect of the cards is the norm. Just like how not-full-art lands were the norm before. You've just replaced one norm with another, and diminished it's uniqueness as a consequence.
I just assume you are being intentionally retarded and not understanding on purpose.
>>
>>93932367
>>93932367
>>93932367
>>
>>93931942
There were like a million planeswalkers and a ton of them were really broken
>>
>>93931898
I agree with anon.
>And when everyone is a super, nobody is.
It is ok to have full arts from time to time but why would anyone get excited for the 7th fullart land set in a row? If they had done those once a year It would still be something people look after.
>>93931942
T3feri, K4rn, Nars3t, and Ashiok. (the last one was ok)
Standard started to become shit (wildness reclamation and other shit decks, that are all we have today, btw, started to become dominant in the format from now on), nobody gave much shit about how T3feri was raping modern and how K4rn was making splashes in Legacy and Vintage because the story for War of the Spark had Chandra be bi (or normal) and for 2 months all the talk on mtg was "how can they can retcon chandra!" (she was into gideon if you actually read her first book from 2013).
After that was Eldraine and we saw Oko and Once Upon a Time raping Modern (and Oko making a black lotus kill a guy in a vintage tounament), after some bans we had the adventures deck becoming dominant and ban worth for a year before wotc did something.
M21 launches and Golos field of the dead becomes another big cancer in standard (maybe it was released before eldraine, I don't remember, just know that Golos & UG food were the actual top decks of the format). It took sometime until wotc finally banned oko and golos&field of the dead from standard, maybe there was other things worth banning but I don't remember.
Then we go to Theros beyond dead and now Uro...
After that we have Ikoria and companions...

Fire was a mistake.
>>
>>93931848
soo accelerate?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.