[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

We love maro's mechanics

>Bans
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/august-26-2024-banned-and-restricted-announcement

>News
The 2025 MagicCon and Pro Tour Schedule:
https://www.magic.gg/news/the-2025-magiccon-and-pro-tour-schedule

Metagame Mentor: The Scariest Standard Strategies in Duskmourn:
https://www.magic.gg/news/metagame-mentor-the-scariest-standard-strategies-in-duskmourn

>Spoilers
http://www.magicspoiler.com/
https://mythicspoiler.com/

CONSTRUCTED RESOURCES
>Current meta, complete with deck lists
https://www.mtgtop8.com/
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/
>Build and share casual decks
https://deckstats.net/
https://tappedout.net/

CUBE RESOURCES
>Build and share Cubes
https://cubecobra.com/landing

CARD RESOURCES
>Search engines
https://scryfall.com/
https://mtg.wtf/
>Proxy a deck or a cube for cheap
https://www.makeplayingcards.com/
https://pastebin.com/9Xj1xLdM
>Play online for free
https://untap.in/
https://dr4ft.info/

>What is EDH?
https://vocaroo.com/1ihc21gJLBh1

>Previously:
>>94249990

TQ: Do you agree with this list?
>>
>>94256277
>Companions is only 18

MaRo, you weaselfuck, you know it deserves top 5 at fucking minimum
>>
>>94256303
Yea companions not being way higher is absolute cope from him.
He knows it was his biggest mistake ever, I don't know why he's pretending.
>>
>>94256277
>TQ
Why is unmemorable only at 9? It should be way higher.
>>
>>94256277
Wtf is wrong with devoid?
>>
File: 2025mtgUB.jpg (68 KB, 517x531)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
How do you kill mtg as a franchise?
https://rhysticstudies.substack.com/p/what-are-we-doing-really
>>
>>94256320
It's a joke mechanic and maro's (second) worst mistake ever.
>>
>>94256320
it literally color-washes? I da know.
>>
>>94256277
Day/night has to be #1
Megamorph is nowhere near the top 20
>>
>>94256335
At least as of 2 years after it came out, megamorph was the most hated mechanic of all time (from the playerbase)
>>
Guys this has the incorrect previous thread move here.
>>94256304
>>94256304
>>94256304
>>
>>94256323
Buy an ad faggot
>>
>>94256323
No past -> no future?
https://rhysticstudies.substack.com/p/who-will-write-our-histories
>>
>>94256335
Day/Night shouldn't even really be top 10 with some of the stinkers there.
Top 20, maybe, but even then it's just the werewolf mechanic but not shit.
>>
>>94256339
I fucked that up sorry.
>>
>>94256277
Actual previous thread: >>94253551
>>
>>94256335
Day/Night is super tedious, but it's not game breaking like companions
>>
File: 1720607288515473.jpg (1.2 MB, 2835x1580)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
I spoke to my best friend (where Magic has been our shared hobby for like a decade) IRL recently after all this news was released. He didn't want to dwell on the bad news with Magic, but he was trying to make a push for League of Legends & Team Fight Tactics to be out new shared hobby instead of Magic. Things feel kind of over right now.
>>
>>94256368
>but he was trying to make a push for League of Legends & Team Fight Tactics to be out new shared hobby instead of Magic.
>I want to go from crabs to AIDS
>>
>>94256368
>League of Legends
brother don't do this, I played league from 2012 to 2020, it's not worth it
even if you play it casually, this game will fuck your life up
>>
>>94256277
Partner is the worst one simply because it's an exclusively EDH mechanic.
>>
>>94256389
it's a limited mechanic too
>>
>>94256368
>he was trying to make a push for League of Legends & Team Fight Tactics to be out new shared hobby

This man is not your friend. He does not have your best interests at heart.
>>
>>94256389
>>94256395
maybe i'm smoking crack but i'm pretty sure there was a legacy deck with a partner card at some point
>>
>>94256368
>but he was trying to make a push for League of Legends & Team Fight Tactics
I'd drop that "friend"
>>
>>94256404
It's not like you can't play a partner card in Legacy. It's just that the partner clause has no effect outside of Commander.
>>
>>94256404
my bad it was
>partner with
and the deck in question didn't even bother running the other card
>>
>>94256404
>>94256395
Partner with is technically a different mechanic but wotc and maro always talk about it as the same thing
>>
>>94256355
Being tedious is the worst thing a mechanic can be
>>
>>94256368
It's kind of incredibly how nobody in this art looks like themselves.
>>
>>94256434
Nearly, but outright breaking the game is worse
>>
Suddenly the death threats kind of felt necessary
>>
>>94256368
>>94256440
Character consistency has LITERALLY never been a thing wotc has been good at, which makes all the schizo posting about how "They're subtly changing characters!!" retarded
>>
>>94256277
> people still believe the banding is bad meme
to be fair I haven't played in like 8 years so maybe the rules are sufficiently different that it is now but I can't see a situation where being able to assign damage as you like as the attacking player is ever less advantageous.
Even if Bands with other is strictly weaker than normal banding it only sucks by virtue of the cards that have it and not the mechanic itself.
> t. Played white-weenie banding for a decade and it continued to be one of my strongest decks.
>>
>>94256453

jeez dude it's just a children's card game why is anyone upset
>>
>>94256460
They got rid of assigning blockers like yesterday.
Or well, I don't know if it's technically in effect until foundations is out.
>>
>>94256277
>TQ:
>That list
Yeah so fucking what? Little more than half a decade ago Storm, Channel, and Phasing, and probably a few others I'm forgetting were on the "worse mechanic ever" list.
And there were plenty of people shouting "X will never ever work, it's too broken." Yeah well...

All if took for them to do is just actually design a few half decent modern cards with them.
>>
>>94256368
>>94256457
>Character consistency has LITERALLY never been a thing
I argue that not being consistency with your own lore beats using other people's IP.
>>
>>94256468
They did whaaat?
>>
>>94256453
WotC reads these threads and actively tries to make every doompost come true
>>
>>94256477
Removal of Damage Assignment Order
Welcome, all, to the experienced players checking in. With Foundations, we are taking the opportunity to streamline one part of combat. Note that if you learned combat with Magic: The Gathering Foundations Beginner Box, this change isn't a change.

So, what are we changing? We're removing the concept of damage assignment order.

What was damage assignment order? Damage assignment order was used whenever an attacking creature was blocked by more than one creature. (It was also used whenever a single creature somehow blocked multiple attackers, but normally single creatures can't do that, so examples below will focus on the far more common single attacker, multiple blockers case.)

Why are we doing this? Damage assignment order was put in place to emulate the system that came before it, when combat damage went onto the stack as an object players could respond to. In many ways, it was enacted to lessen post-Magic 2010 shock, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's somewhat unintuitive, adds a fair bit of rules baggage, and losing it means more interesting decisions and less double-dipping if you know the tricks. We decided to move away from it for many of the same reasons we moved away from damage on the stack many years ago. Damage assignment order just got noticed a lot less because it appears only in scenarios where one attacker is taking on multiple blockers, or vice versa.

Previously, if an attacking creature was blocked by multiple creatures, the attacking player would put those blocking creatures in an order of their choice. During the combat damage step, attacking creatures can't assign combat damage to a creature that's blocking it unless each creature ahead of it in line is assigned lethal damage. This happened immediately after blockers were declared, before combat damage was assigned and dealt.
>>
>>94256477
>>94256489
For example, if I attacked with a 5/5 creature and you blocked with a 3/3 and a 4/4, I would put your creatures in one of the two possible orders. Let's say I put the 3/3 first because I really want it gone. You're holding a spell that can save one of your creatures, such as Giant Growth. After the order is set, knowing the 3/3 is first in line, you cast Giant Growth on the 3/3. During the combat damage step, I would need to assign at least 6 damage to the 3/3-now-6/6 before I can assign any to the 4/4, but I have only 5 to assign to it. My creature, simply put, is doomed.

Here's the change: Damage assignment order no longer exists. If a creature is facing multiple opposing creatures in combat, that creature's combat damage is assigned and dealt as its controller desires during the combat damage step. Other players won't necessarily know what's going to happen.

Revising the earlier example under the new rules, my 5/5 attacker gets blocked by your 3/3 and your 4/4. It's now the declare blockers step, after blockers are declared, our last opportunity to do anything before combat damage is dealt. I pass priority. You have that Giant Growth in hand. You can still save the creature of your choice. We'll say you want to save that 3/3, probably for the same reason I wanted it gone, so you pump it up to a 6/6. We move on to combat damage, and now I get to assign my creature's 5 damage any way I want. Most likely, I'll take out your 4/4, as it's the best I can do. But maybe I have, you know … plans and would rather deal 3 damage to the 6/6 and 2 damage to the 4/4. That's okay, too.

The ability to "double block" or sometimes "entire team block" gives the defending player a lot of strength in many combat scenarios, and this change shifts some of that power back to the attacker. As we've seen above, the defense is not left helpless, as combat tricks like Giant Growth are still valuable.
>>
They're just not get-out-of-combat-free cards. More than anything, it simplifies and streamlines some rules that are complex and anchored a bit in the past. Although damage assignment order didn't come up in every game, we've been playing without it for over a year now and are very happy with the results. We're excited to have everyone join us.

>>94256490
>>94256495
You can it's just a lot worse.
>>
>>94256277
first for wanting flanking to come back
>>
>>94256368
DON'T PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS YOU WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE DON'T DO IT
>>
Okay, so you don't determine the order of the blockers until damage is dealt now?
>>
>>94256471

if you really think that you are actually retarded
rudy publically espouses magic the gathering as a convenient and quasi-legal avenue for credit card fraud and other forms of fraud that the law won't bother with
>>
>>94256368
that is not a friend, that person is trying to murder any sense of joy you coulod ever potentially muster if you havent already. you should push him in a stack of used needles
>>
>>94256524
Just makes pump spells worse as far as I can tell
>>
File: karn, downs golem.png (5.65 MB, 1334x1828)
5.65 MB
5.65 MB PNG
>>94256472
>I argue that not being consistency with your own lore beats using other people's IP.
>>
>>94256541
Man karn was so cool
Never got to play back then what a shame
>>
>>94256532
Yes, that's exactly what I just said, a stock market.
>>
>>94256524
Hypothetically this is an absurd buff to attackers
In practice, it just means you never double block and defensive pump spells are now garbage.
>>
>>94256552
It's nowhere near as much of a buff as people seem to think.
>>
>>94256570
That's why I said hypothetically.
In practice it's still a buff but not like a world-ending one.
>>
>>94256368
lol who plays video games anymore
>>
>>94256552
>defensive pump spells are now garbage.
When have they ever been good outside of maybe limited?
>>
>>94256578
>When have they ever been good outside of the main way to play the game
>>
>>94256573
It'll honestly affect Arena more than paper play because all but the Spikiest players just sort of skipped that step and said how damage was being dealt. And you can still easily double block and pump to kill the attacker. There's basically no scenario where that doesn't result in the same outcome nowadays.
>>
>>94256577
I play doom wads every once in a while
>>
>>94256577
a lot more people than the ones who play magic
and a lot more than the near future too
>>
Ok Here is what I think will be the final version and last time I post it outside of future discussion.
Outside of the objection to Ixalan and Amonkhet being where they are (I get it dude but I don't agree with you)
I think I have addressed most issues taken with it over the previous drafts.
Their is a part of me that wants to add a the shift from Ally to Party being the main "Adventurer" mechanic of Zendikar in its place as the "D&D Inspired but not D&D" plane as a solid example of the decay, but this thing is big enough as is.
Feel free to use it whenever a discussion about World of Hats, "Innistrad was good but fucked us in the long run", "Magic has Always stolen Tropes", or any other arguments of discussion of the topic comes up.

Also thanks to all the anons who provided me feedback on how to make it better and apologies to anons who have had this show up multiple times today.
>>
>>94256600
I have yet to encounter one of those people who doesn't say "I regret playing this video game"
>>
>>94256611
Oh, league?
League is shitty
I just meant actual video games
>>
>>94256618
Name one
>>
>>94256623
Yakuza 8
Team Fortress 2
Terraria
Crypt of the Necrodancer
>>
>>94256623
Space Station 13.
>>
>>94256627
So you play these games and have zero regrets about it?
>>
>>94256632
Of those games? Yea, they're great games.
>>
>>94256577
Reminder that every 4chan shitpost you see is a thought or an opinion someone, somewhere actually has, even if it's not the person who made the post
>>
>>94256635
Well you're an exception then

Most people regret it if its not short or not just a party game. It's practically all they talk about, "Destiny sucks", "TF2 sucks", "Overwatch sucks"

It's practically the first thing they talk about
>>
>>94256623
nta but they released a collection of the DS Castlevania games on Steam and it was pretty fun. Dawn of Sorrow was the only one of the three that I had played as a kid, but PoR and OoE were both really fun.
How long you figure until WotC comes begging to suck Konami's cock and we get a Castlevania UB?
>>
>>94256277
>He JUST reprinted 13-16
Good job you hack. Forget to check your own work before submitting it again?
>>
>>94256649
>Most people regret it
this is projection
>"Destiny sucks", "TF2 sucks", "Overwatch sucks"
This is literally a single subgenre out of hundreds, let alone all shooters or all games
and I haven't seen anyone say tf2 sucks since they nuked all the bots
>>
>>94256658
Miracle and Annihilator are good mechanics and we should see more of them
Partner is a bit whatever
Devoid is trash but in its literal nothingness it doesn't actively make a card worse, it only made a set worse, technically.
>>
>>94256660
It's not projection cuz I don't play this stuff
>>
>>94256667
maybe you should try a good video game
they're fune
mostly, at least, there are bad ones of course
>>
>>94256623
Warcraft 3
Specifically custom maps
Legion TD standalone when
>>
>>94256649
The only games I truly regret playing are Fallout 4, Diablo 3, and Guild Wars 2. But I never played LoL or Overwatch, so I dodged some bullets over the years.
>>
for me? it's MTGA
>>
>>94256669
As long as it's finite or a party game, that's fine then

But ya it's just not my kinda thing
>>
some boomer software exec luckshitted his way into Cube Draft Worlds by spamming drafts with his sons
he opened a black lotus, has to read every card he sees, and is playing like shit on camera
it's funny as fuck
>>
>>94256656
Three or four years
>>
File: file.png (4.45 MB, 1920x1080)
4.45 MB
4.45 MB PNG
>>94256656
>How long you figure until WotC comes begging to suck Konami's cock and we get a Castlevania UB?
Konami seems willing to parade around castlevania in literally anything EXCEPT a video game
I would expect it within the year, if not right around innistrad remastered
>>
>>94256671
>LegionTD standalone when
anon....
>>
holy shit the boomer opened Black Lotus in every hand but threw the match with like 5 different mistakes
insane
>>
>>94256656
As much as I like Castlevania I'm wondering how long will it take until players come up with a UB-less format.
>>
>>94256764
The game is dead. What does some boomer care about playing optimally.
>>
>>94256770
MaRo assured us that if there was popular demand for that, WotC would've done it already.
>>
https://totalcards.net/collections/weiss-schwarz-sets
Don't worry guys we won't run out of IPs even if we do 3 a year.
>>
>>94256782
There wasn't yeah but that doesn't mean there won't be.
>>
>>94256798
>>94256782
>>94256770
Reminder the reason they kept UB out of most formats was because they thought that no one would like.
Turns out that even per their own opimistic metrics of the % of people who would like UB, it eclipsed that many times over, so that's why EVERYTHING is UB slop now.
>>
>>94256770
>>94256782
>>94256798
Bequeathal: Legacy card pool but all UB cards are banned
>>
no one would like UB in normal play*
>>
>>94256660
It sucks because those are usually the games you have to play to hang around with the typical zillenial friend groups, or some easy pick-up-and-play kind of game
>>
>>94256812
zoomers don't play tf2, they wouldn't be able to exist in a real shooter, let alone one where you can just call people niggers and cosplay the taliban
>>
File: exo-106-bequeathal.jpg (247 KB, 672x936)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>94256808
Picrel, me watching every other format burn as I walk away.
>>
>>94256817
Might just replied wrong, but those are usual the cases for mainstream shit like LoL, DOTA, Cod, Fortnite, Overwatch etc.
>>
>>94256817
Zoomer here. I have multiple thousands of hours in TF2
>>
>>94256805
That's what MaRo tells us at least. More realistically, the suits saw LTR make big bucks and screamed "MAKE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN AND MAKE IT KEEP HAPPENING"
>>
File: Asgore.png (29 KB, 500x268)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>You tell Asgore that he's killed you once before.
>He nods sadly.

Blah blah fanbase blah blah memes but guess what? This is unironically the best video game ever made
>>
>>94256839
I died to him a dozen times, or however many times you have to go before he stops giving you new dialogue.
>>
>>94256808
>still letting Modern Horizons into your format

fucking gross
>>
>>94256835
Knowing modern playerbases I think it's readily believable it's a bit of both.
>>
>>94256839
that's just zoomer earthbound
>>
>>94256839
Undertale is pretty big in JP, even moreso than in most of the west.
If they want to pander to JP nerds hard it wouldn't be out of the question.
The expected Hololive crossover too.
>>
>>94256848
Earthbound UB when? Will WotC be able to pay Nintendo enough to get them in on this IP bukkake?
>>
>>94256858
Nintendo isn't immune to crossover stuff, they had that necrodancer zelda game a few years ago.
I think that's about it though, unless you count smash
>>
>>94256864
It'll happen when they port Arena onto the Switch
>>
>>94256841
Don't wanna exclude Hogaakbros.
>>
File: oddly quiet.jpg (724 KB, 1600x900)
724 KB
724 KB JPG
>Pokemon UB
>Yugioh UB
>>
File: WE WUZ.png (1.25 MB, 672x936)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>94256841
most of them are good
>>
>>94256881
Not getting the big tcgs first/quickly seems odd
Though I suppose one of those unannounced ones could be it
>>
>>94256884
Shove a playset of Griefs up your ass
>>
>>94256714
Not unreasonable chance it's the unannounced set for 2025.
>>
File: ball blightning.png (1.32 MB, 672x936)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>94256897
nah
>>
>>94256897
>he let unmask on legs peg him
lol
>>
>>94256886
I doubt big competitors like that would happily work with Magic so readily. Marvel isn't really a competitor despite Marvel Snap. Warcraft could maybe get something, even with Hearthstone, but who knows.
>>
File: Psychic-Frog-MH3-672.jpg (155 KB, 672x938)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>94256902
nah
>>
File: file.png (1.34 MB, 672x936)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>94256923
nah
you're gonna have to realize that the mh sets have a lot of fun cards in them, even if they also have cancer cards
>>
>MTGA
>opp drops Phyrexian Obliterator into my board of 2/x shitters
>opp drops an "oops"
>I flash in Hullbreaker Horror EOT and bounce his entire board
>I drop a "Nice!"
Nice boss monster, nerd. Mines better tho :)
>>
>>94256930
This card looks really boring and needlessly handicapped
>yeah we all know how strong squirrels as a tribe are so we better make this squirrel anthem 5 mana and we better make it kill itself in 3 turns
>btw this card is for Modern
>>
File: file.png (1.25 MB, 672x936)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>94256946
The MH sets are mostly time spiral, they just shoved "and modern" in because they knew those sadsacks would buy it.
Wish they had more level up cards but hexdrinker was nice, I guess.
>>
File: mh1-217-wrenn-and-six.jpg (162 KB, 672x936)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>94256930
Sure they have fun cards. And I'd sacrifice every single one of those to get rid of the cancer.
>>
File: IMG_3492.jpg (415 KB, 750x911)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
>How do you kill mtg as a franchise?
What’s killing magic is not universes beyond. It’s actually the main sets being so fucking garbage. Imagine a new player joins because of final fantasy or marvel or lotr and then the next set they see is cowboys, or a haunted house, or a race track. Besides the trash mechanics the actual stories are just trash. Look at war hammer. Hundreds of full novels and lots of good ones.
>>
>>94256964
as I've been saying for years the cardboard is mostly good (mosly)
it's everything else they're bad at
though there is bloomburrow which is like the 3rd most popular plane ever now
>>
>>94256946
That's because it's basically a functional reprint of a reserved list card. Also I believe they wanted Squirrels to be a thing in MH1 limited.
>>
>>94256954
just play premodern?
>>
File: deranged.png (1.42 MB, 672x936)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>94256946
as the other guy said it's just a time spiral card
most of MH is
>>
>>94256627
>hatfortress 2

To think this game exists because of a Quake map.

>Yakuza
Faggot.

I don't even know those other two games.
>>
Rate my standard jank brew.

I call it Cowboys & Aliens. It's susceptible to petering out if I miss land drops, but it's been doing well enough in standard ranked and it's fun to play jank that actually works sometimes.

I mostly lose to combo decks unless I draw hovership.
>>
>>94256460
It's banding with not banding. Banding with is a more limited form of banding.
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 613x439)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>94256997
>I don't even know those other two games.
Man you are really sheltered huh
>>
>>94256964
It all goes hand in hand. The better that UB slop performs, the less money and effort they put into their own IP. The sickness goes back over a decade, but every step they've taken has only served to accelerate the decline.
>>
>>94256603
WotC and Hasbro have long standing bad blood with Nintendo.

There will never be a Pokemon UB
>>
>>94256997
Necrodancer is a comparatively obscure indie but how have you never heard of terraria.
also yakuza is great
>>
>>94257024
Terraria sounds gay. Is it like Spore?
>>
>>94257038
It's minecraft if it was an actual video game and not a gay lego simulator.
>>
>>94257044
Sounds pretty lame, bet the zoomers love it though
>>
>>94257051
zoomers were barely conscious when terraria came out
>>
>>94257024
>terraria
>>94257038
Terraria sounds gay.
Terrarias r*ddit page still has a rainbow flag even after every other company/page changed it. that should be warning enough to avoid.
>>
File: file.png (1.58 MB, 1037x741)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>94257059
>Terrarias r*ddit page still has a rainbow flag even after every other company/page changed it. that should be warning enough to avoid.
you are aware the general you're posting in, right?
>>
I don't mind the UB stuff that much I just want standard to be good again
>>
>>94256946
You get a total of 9/9 power for 5 mana which later becomes 4/4.
>>
>>94257078
Why bother making Standard playable when you can just sell cardboard to fans of other properties and make more money?
>>
>>94257074
why start with another then.
>>
>>94257108
because terraria is actually fun unlike a good 90% of mtg nowadays
>>
I wish universes beyond would at least be for cool shit but it's all just going to be what's popular (minus a lot of anime because union arena and WS) in a generic artstyle.
>>
damn the guy who luckshitted Ancestral/Time Walk/Mox is topdecking well every turn of the game in the finals
hard to watch for our BR underdog
>>
>>94257159
If wotc wants the jp market (they desperately want it) then WS and seasonal animes are far from off the table.
>>
>>94257167
Which ones would fit nicely?
>>
>>94257167
Elden Ring might work, or whatever fromsop there is
>>
>>94257167
>>94257178
Frieren never ever.
Dungeon Meshi (even though it would mesh so well) never ever.
Aside from all the other cool fantasy series that never reached flavor of the month status.
Closest we'll get is a very reference heavy and cringy isekai set, and all the art will still be made by vapid westerners.
>>
>>94257167
>>94257196
There is no reason for japs to get involved in playing Magic when they could just play one of the gorillion other TCGs that are cheaper, have better gameplay, better art, and more widely played over there. The people that play magic there are fantasyheads.
>>
>>94257178
fitting nicely never mattered
you'll be lucky to get EVA or something instead of SAO or whatever the current meme shonen is
>>
>>94257196
>Nips absolutely love their moe
>Moe is antithetical to western art
I'd honestly will be amazed at their balls if they go ham with moeshit. How'd the anime cards do over there anyway?
>>
>>94257215
>have better gameplay,
I won't go and defend large aspects of mtg but the gameplay is the one thing where it's almost always better than random anime tcgs.
The FF card game is garbage and most of them are just that with different skins. They all play it for the brand, not the gameplay.
Which is the entire reason UB exists, if you had the gameplay of the one piece card game but with Jace or some shit literally no one would care.
>>
naruto set would be good thoughbeit...
just look at naruto arena
>>
>>94257223
>SAO
What year do you exist in, anon? Also, almost every UB set has been pretty dated except, like, two Secret Lairs. We're more likely to see Dragon Ball.
>>
File: file.png (484 KB, 597x557)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
>>94257229
>How'd the anime cards do over there anyway?
JP arts went from a "Oh this cool thing that wotc jp came up with!" to their biggest new money maker.
What do you think
>>
>>94257164
damn that Cube tournament was probably the coolest Magic tournament of the last decade.
this Foundations + UB clusterfuck is likewise the most interesting news for Standard in that time.
We might be entering an era where Magic is better than it's been in a very long time.
>>
>>94257240
Dragon ball would be actually good. Plus it'd sell like hotcakes in mexico.
>>
>>94256541
I think MTG's imagination started dying when they started commissioning specific art and pushing harder their own narrative instead of letting the artists come up with their own imaginative interpretations of things
>>
>>94257243
i think i hate people that are so easily impressed by a shitty anime drawing
this includes dogshit gatcha games and the like
>>
>>94257245
I could genuinely see it being the final set for 2026 but who knows. All we know is it's not a Marvel set.
>>
>>94257251
I'm not going to claim that all nip art is good but it is absolutely better than 95% of normal mtg art
>>
>>94257253
Er, 2025. Thought it was 2025 already, time is lost to me.
>>
>>94257254
lol
>>
>>94257249
They burned through the le epic ideas way too fast
>>
>>94257261
>>94257249
Reminder that even in the 90s corporate wanting money over creativity is why the story (and any chance at a brand) went to shit.
>>
>>94257260
Nta, but unironically
>>
>>94257254
>>94257268
This is what weebs actually believe
>>
>>94257265
>But this is clearly a new thing, because I don't like it now
>>
>>94257253
Imagine it's fucking gayshit impact
>>
File: file.png (5.09 MB, 1334x1828)
5.09 MB
5.09 MB PNG
>>94257260
You really think this is better than random chinese gacha stuff?
>>
>>94257275
Incredibly unlikely.
>>
>>94257280
dumb /pol/brained retard
>>
>>94257275
>Jane Doe
>Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
>>
>>94257010
Minecraft set would revolve around lands and equipment. A mostly human-free set
Grand theft Auto V would be about committing crimes and casting vehicles.
Wii Sports would revolve around equipments and have spells like "Foul Play" would lead to clue subtheme of finding cheaters.
PUBG:Battlegrounds would have lots of artifacts with equipments and vehicles.
Mario Kart 8 would have vehicles and legendary creatures with the ability to team up.
Red Dead Redemption 2 would have Survival and Mount in the same set.
Terraria would be filled with legendary creatures and treasure tokens.
>>
>>94257280
Alright anon you've made your point get that DEI shit away from me
>>
>>94257280
Even by your own notions, what is wrong with Tolarian Scholar?
>>
>>94257167
>seasonal animes
With the two year overhead that's going to be a shitshow and a half.
>>
>>94257280
I'm anti DEI but the quality is very high
they just tell them to make them fat/brown now
>>
File: 1722170055145010.png (230 KB, 512x512)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>94257280
you can make your argument without being a cherry-picking idiot about it
come on anon
>>
>>94257280
Anime shit is cringe in a way nothing else can be.
>>
>>94257253
>It's Skyrim
TODD
>>
>>94257288
lazy CG work on prajeet from accounting
no soul
no magic
no anything
>>
File: tolarian entrancer.png (1.37 MB, 672x936)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>94257288
it looks like they photoshopped a book on some faggot
it's not art
>>
>>94257280
look what they did to my boy daretti
>>
>>94257280
Every single one. None of that pussy footing shit here, all of those are better than random chinese gacha stuff.
>>
>>94257323
Then you will be culled with the rest of the westoids.
>>
>>94257234
Yeah I've heard Pokemon's gameplay is god awful. I've also heard from a friend who lives there that alot of old - think middle aged - Japs who used to play Magic have moved over to F&B, describing it as "like old magic". Ironically that's not a native TCG, but you get what I mean hopefully.

From first hand experience I can say that Shadowverse video game was good for 2 expansions then fell off a cliff afterwards. I don't know if the physical TCG is any better.
>>
lol
>>
>>94257326
*unsheathes katana*
I'd like to see you try.
>>
>>94257326
You already lost twice
>>
>>94257359
>japs fell for the f&b pyramid scheme
i thought they were high iq
>>
File: file.png (673 KB, 488x680)
673 KB
673 KB PNG
>>94257322
He looks like shit, but that's nothing compared to the treatment my nigger Krenko has gotten.
>>
File: file.png (5.88 MB, 1334x1822)
5.88 MB
5.88 MB PNG
>>94257391
Did you miss that they added in a permanent jp showcase?
On top of all of the ones they have in "normally"?
>>
>>94257415
>new Exquisite Blood combo has a jap alt art
Fuggin nice
>>
>>94257415
monster hunter with the guild girls when
>>
File: the color pie.png (633 KB, 1024x1273)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
>>94257178
An anon mentioned puyo puyo in another thread, and honestly, look at this shit, besides the fact that it's a spinoff of an rpg (and therefore has lore, spells (also present in puyo) and most importantly, non-legendary creatures).
>>
>>94256470
>t. so retarded can't even write proper English when he just has to copy it
>>
>>94256470
Channel and Phasing are fine
Storm is still broken as shit and isn't printed (in competitive formats) for a reason
>>
>>94257280
>>94257415
>Having to choose between ugly DEI cosplayers and gay Japanese cartoons
Grim
>>
>>94257458
We haven't had good art for almost 20 years.
>>
>>94256277
Can I watch that panel/talk/whatever online? Link?
>>
>>94257415
>the company who is now gobbling up every possible short term monetization scheme is now willing to use more of our art
That is not the accomplishment you think it is.
>>
>>94257479
It's an improvement over most modern mtg art, that's all I'm saying.
Also doesn't help that wotc regularly cheats and steals from all of their ACTUALLY good artists so that they never want to work with wotc again.
The few they don't do this to they exile for some horseshit nonsense like with Seb.
Aleksi quit to go work for marvel too, funnily.
>>
>>94257363
is this price collapse real across the board or just a random fuck up
>>
>spunch bop
Kazuki Takahashi won.
>>
>>94257479
Is this really a tribally motivated thing? I get actually not liking Japanese art, but are you really getting a chip on your shoulder on behalf of the retards JotC is hiring as of late?
>>
>>94257488
>cheats and steals from all of their ACTUALLY good artists so that they never want to work with wotc again
Any stories?
>>
File: 12763812231.gif (4.8 MB, 640x480)
4.8 MB
4.8 MB GIF
>>94256368
>League of Legends
Never believe anyone who tells you to play this. I've seen crack addicts on street corners who'd have an easier time getting off drugs than a diehard LoL player would uninstalling that game forever.
>>
File: angels.png (2.86 MB, 1342x930)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB PNG
and funnily given the topic, a jp-exclusive angel art
>>
>>94257534
Apparently Marvel is also a scummy company and might have been the one to give WotC the art without the artist permission.
>>
>>94256457
>subtly
Yeah they've been real subtle with the changes, anon. I don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>94257547
I'm not talking about making everyone a nigger, that's just basic logic. I'm not doubting that.
What I mean is the guy schizoing out over "Krenko doesn't look the same as he did in his original card!" no shit he doesn't no one ever looks the same, wotc is hilariously and has historically always been terrible at this.
>>
>>94257531
its amazing how people still play that game and nothing else. its an awful game and poorly balanced.
>>
>>94257560
just farm and don't get ganked anon
>>
>>94257534
I love how Children of the Nameless was written as a literal charity project for FREE and WotC still couldn't resist burning the bridge because they value short-term profit over literally anything.
For fucks sake these retards can't even make a competent digital client so they're getting mogged by YGO and now even fucking Hearthstone is making a comeback yet WotC can't stop shitting the bed with Arena.
>>
File: file.png (2.74 MB, 968x1358)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB PNG
>>94257547
>>94257555
these are all meant to be the same person/character
>>94257570
That shit will never stop being hilarious to me, especially because they made literally zero profit from it. Children of the nameless never released and they burned that bridge hard to any possible good press or brand engagement.
>>
>>94257534
you don't need permission to collect pics for a style guide
>>
>>94257589
I'm not validating his current freakout (it does seem pretty nothing) but I'm more referencing to the "ongoing issues" of them not paying him.
They will do anything but keep their good artists around because it costs them money.
>>
>>94257555
That isn't schizo posting, anon. Ravnica goblins had big noses for 19 years. Now they don't. You know why.
https://scryfall.com/search?q=art%3Aravnica+t%3Agoblin+is%3Aunique&order=released&dir=desc&as=grid&unique=cards
>>
>>94257632
I already told you to fuck off with this yesterday I'm not spending time to call you a retard again.
>>
more like PIGshaper

FAAAAAT!
>>
>>94257638
He's right, you know?
>>
>>94256277
>companion
>one of the biggest fuckups in the history of the game
>18
>>
>>94257699
he's really trying to make it seem like his fuckups aren't as bad
>>
File: 445.jpg (341 KB, 1100x1536)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
universes beyond or secret lair?
you know it gonna happen, don't lie
>>
>>94257699
Maro really likes Companion and is bitter people don't like it the same as him. Also it is to consistently used in formats to this day in minor ways.
>>
>>94256343
Day/Night just sucks penis to track in paper.
>>
File: myztst.jpg (121 KB, 1350x400)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>94257718
Dark Souls world and aesthetic fits very nicely into the mechanics, MTG lore and colour pie.
Also Miyazaki is a massive Magic fan.

It would be really cool if it actually happened, to be honest.
>>
>>94257718
here's all of my money thank you
>>
>>94256864
>necrodancer zelda
Was that truly a crossover? I thought it was just a Zelda game with necrodancer mechanics. You need to have characters from two universes for it to be a crossover.
>>
>>94257749
>It's fine when it's the thing I like
Kill yourself
This is the kind of mentality that Maro points to as justifcation for Universes Beyond: Bad Dragon
>>
>>94257772
Didn't they have aria in it.
>>
>>94257777
>It's fine when it's the thing I like
>>
So now I can play with cards of my favourite franchise in my favourite card game? What's the catch?
>>
>>94257777
this is why there will never be a united front against ub from magic fans lol. the moment wotc decides to make ub _____________, fans of that will go "well... it was pretty good"
>>
>>94257793
Youll make obese trannies asspained.
>>
Other people clearly enjoy ub sets, why not let them instead of wotc only catering to your autistic needs
>>
>>94257798
I knew we were going to slip down this slide the instant we started getting more UB shit.
The only small solace is if it's something I personally like which, we've already got final fantasy which was pretty high up there.
If they're going to shove a giant cock up my ass then at least they can remove the stinging barbs.
>>
>>94257793
it's mostly going to be capeshit
>>
>>94256603

Thank you, I think your chart does a very good job at representing the different phases mtg has gone through. I hope you keep updating it. I started to play around 7th edition and the Miroddin - Eventide era is still my favorite by far. By the time Alara Reborn came out, my gut feeling insisted that something was off. The combination of the new mythic rarity, planeswalkers gaining traction, the gold bloat and the art direction heped create a very different experience than what I was used to. Overall, I liked the lore of Alara but I was weary of the direction the game was going. When Innistrad came out I couldn't stand the double face mechanic. I still don't. I was used to kitchen table games where everyone had clear sleeves (and it wasn't uncommon for new draft players not to have sleeves at all) and DBF felt like a slippery slope to bad design practices. It often boils down to a Jekyll//Hyde gimmick or a way to print a wall of text split into two parts. By the time Ixalan came out I wasn't enamored with the game anymore. It was clear that the future of MtG was pop-culture pastiche, discarding everything that made it unique along the way. I stopped playing shortly after that. I used to keep up on new releases but I lost interest after Commander took over the game. Now the very concept of spoiler season feels outdated, since it assumes a level of care in the lore and design that doesn't exist anymore. 1 out of 5 new cards printed in 2023 was a Legendary Creature**. The WotC team is so strapped for time and new ideas that they have to look through scrapped mechanics like companion and repurpose them for release. Whatever Hasbro is selling now might as well be a completely different game that just happens to share the name Magic the Gathering.

>** https://scryfall.com/search?q=%28game%3Apaper%29+%28year%3A2023%29+%28is%3Afirstprinting%29+%28type%3Alegendary+type%3Acreature%29+&unique=cards&as=grid&order=released
>>
File: me4-237-urza-s-miter.jpg (234 KB, 672x936)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>94257415
Upper right is better than 90% of humanoid MTG art in the modern era. Bottom left, I would estimate, is in the top 70% of dragon arts. Bottom right is mediocre. I would pick any other Day of Judgement art over it. Upper left does not in any way match the card text, but the girls are cute at least. I would pick up a copy just to have in my trade binder.
I understand why some people don't like anime art as they've been wallowing in the mud of modern magic art direction as the few good artists are kicked out in favor of cheaper, less skilled art school dropouts. I come from an era where artists were given a card name and let loose so I appreciate some of the wilder interpretations even if we end up with the occasional "Urza's Miter."
>>
>>94257781
With equal narrative weight to the zelda cast, or as a cameo/reference? The latter is still not a crossover in my book.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1017x706)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>94257823
think twice arts have never really had a coherent meaning
it at least seems like there's a magic book being opened and the random monster hunter girls are...from the book I guess? I'm not gonna say it's the best but neither are the others
I'm also, again, not saying 100% of all jp art is better, there's a good few of the war walkers that are worse than their western counterparts, but overall the winner is very clear.
>>
>>94257777
Magic's lore has been either nonexistent, generic YA fantasy shlock, or marvel ripoff shlock for its entire existence. I'm sure you find your Legally Distinct Avengers and Legally Distinct Cthulhu very compelling but given the choice between a bargain bin knockoff and the original most people will lean towards the latter.

I do however think there's a cute irony in how much fags here seethe over UB shit after a full decade of nonstop bitching about how horrible all of Magic's writing is. You can go on desuarchive and no matter how far back you go you won't find threads where the general consensus about MtG writing or worldbuilding is positive.
https://desuarchive.org/tg/search/subject/mtg/
Why are you so upset to lose the thing you claim to hate?
>>
>>94257846
Magic's story is far from great but I do think it's funny that the people complaining that magic should focus on its own IP and brand has no fucking clue about anything in the IP and brand.
Does anyone here even know who Kellan was?
>>
File: vlbwv8oe7wv61.png (108 KB, 480x360)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>94257837
>think twice arts have never really had a coherent meaning

pic related
>>
>>94257850
The italian-looking kid they tried to push as the new protagonist after Jace, which lasted for exactly one set (WOE) and by the time OTJ came out they'd quietly made Jace the protag again.
>>
File: 1724757769937781.jpg (314 KB, 672x936)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>94257798
I like Dark Souls and a variety of other franchises. However, just because I like Dark Souls or big futa cocks or anything else doesn't mean I want them plastered all over my fantasy trading card game cards. There is absolutely no need to do crossovers for anything other than a moneymaking. They want to get more people playing the game? They're going to need to keep the Marvel crossover sets rolling when those new inductees realise that this isn't a capeshit trading card game.

>>94257846
/mtg/ is not one person. I don't care for lore specifics or the story or whatever, what I want is the cards to hint at lore here and there and give me a starting point to "visit the shores of imagination" and figure out the SETTING, not the story, on my own. The best way to do that is with good art and flavour text, both of which have indeed dropped off over the past however many years. They obviously don't care about setting because in what reasonable context would Spider Man be fighting Space Marines, Progenitus and Frodo Baggins?
>>
>>94257862
>The italian-looking kid they tried to push as the new protagonist after Jace, which lasted for exactly one set (WOE) and by the time OTJ came out they'd quietly made Jace the protag again.
Close but wrong
>>
>>94257846
These people don't care about integrity, they only want to gatekeep their "superior" hobby
>>
File: 1711280287625548.png (8 KB, 256x256)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>94257846
this niggas trolling you guys good
>>
>>94257866
Play ygo, it basically only consists of lore cards + some filler, some stories spamming across multiple sets with some cameos and revisits even 10 years later
>>
>>94256603
Cool graphic. Looks meticulous and insightful.
You got a typo in "Players Nostaliga".
The "First Utilization of MTG as a Vessel for Genre" is a bit difficult to understand at first. A guy holding a torch is not an obvious example of an idea external to MTG. Only when looking at the next image and the Not Trojan Horse did it click for me that you meant MTG getting tropey and pop-culture-influenced.
Also, man, it's hard to believe it's only been 4 years since the first crossover. It spread like wildfire.
>>
I hope we get a Collab with the MTG manga
>>
>>94257897
Funnily destroy all humanity is the closest thing mtg has ever had to a "popular" brand.
>>
Call me a schizo but they knew how much controversy it would provoke to mask the aggressive monetization they've been doing lately
>>
>>94256277
"Not the developer, yadda yadda" – Mark Rosewater, probably
>>
>>94257866
>because in what reasonable context would Spider Man be fighting Space Marines, Progenitus and Frodo Baggins?
MtG gameplay has never ever been canon
>>
>>94257297
>Anime shit is cringe in a way nothing else can be.
>>
>>94256603
I don't see how Akroan Horse (Greek cultural reference) and Final Reward (Egyptian cultural reference) are any different than Mystical Teachings (Arab cultural reference) or literally anything in Kamigawa (East Asian cultural reference).
The image is well made but feels rather arbitrary.
>>
>>94256665
It's moreso pointing out how MaRo thinks they're bigger mistakes than Companion yet he'll eagerly print them anyway.
>>
>>94257941
Global rule 3 d.
>>
>>94256603
fuck. this is a good post. this is exactly it though. new sets have no soul. but for a long time they were trying to tell a cool story and so it felt cool to get monsters and spells related to that story. now they're just parading the dead husks of characters through the streets. the game is still fun but fuck is it cringe when they throw a detective hat or cowboy hat on some random character to cache in on story bucks.
>>
>>94257866
>in what reasonable context would Spider Man be fighting Space Marines, Progenitus and Frodo Baggins?
7-10 years olds playing with their t̶o̶y̶s̶ action figurines (for whatever reason they are insistent on this terminology.)
>>
>>94256603
Superb post.
>>
>>94256603
Great, but one nit-pick: change every instance of 'cultural resonance' to 'POP-cultural resonance'.
>>
>>94256277
>haunt is bad
>>
File: premodern.png (3 KB, 192x68)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
Come home, White man.
>>
>>94256603
>its ok when mtg stole from stuff that was old
mtg was always inspired by popular media dumbass
>>
>>94258103
Kill yourself you fucking retard
>>
>>94258099
Do you have any RUG Natural Order lists? I'm trying to brew but it's difficult when I don't know 90% of the cards.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=2127&d=214771&f=LE
Like this but backported.
>>
File: 8129349818941.png (1.9 MB, 1856x744)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
I wish this game wasn't dying because this deck is really cool
>>
>>94256277
>Haunt
Go fuck yourselves.
>>
File: 12391823981.png (1.2 MB, 1150x624)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>94258158
Here's a UB version that I haven't figured out yet, the turn spells could just be big cards but I don't know which to choose yet
>>
>>94256277
What do they have against haunt? It's only crime is that it was printed on unexciting creatures that were pretty bad on rate. Companion should be number 1 btw Maro is delusional. Banding is just confusing not broken
>>
>>94258193
what do these decks do without Reenact the crime?
it's just do nothing for 3 turns then hope you can cast a big spell for free on turn 4?
>>
File: lensturns.png (1.37 MB, 1416x625)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>94258193
>lens of clarity + mill rocks
>scheming symmetry + mill rocks
>inspiring statuary and reenact the crime to cheat out stuff
>worst fearsing people
>cheap temporal trespass

This is really fun but it doesn't matter that much though because I don't think it can be stronger than fnm viable and no one goes to pioneer events
>>
File: stx-255-excavated-wall.jpg (154 KB, 672x936)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>94258270
well you could jam it on Arena all day but you'd have to do without Codex Shredder, unfortunately
>>
>>94256603
>Top
Game made by people who consumed a plethora of media and reinterpreted it through their own personal experiences
>Bottom
Game made by people who's entire identity is media consumption, they have no personal experiences, they are incapable of non-referential communication
>>
>>94258326
Well put. It makes sense to start communicating with them in a fashion that they can understand, like in that Start Trek episode: Magic was Richard Garfield and now is Garfield in the litterbox
>>
>>94256846
People have tolerated it because it was mostly less than 10 cards from LotR which is an IP almost universally liked by Magic players.
When every standard deck is 30 FF/Spiderman cards and a playset of Sheoldred they'll have a quittening harsher than original Kamigawa.

It's literally the same way ads work. When it's the classic Santa Claus Coca-Cola billboard that comes up every year around these days, it's not disagreeable and can even be nostalgic. When it's 20 fucking scammers interrupting your 10 minute video with three minute unskippable bullshit you shut your shit down and go outside, the video you wanted to watch be damned.
>>
>>94256884
Legacy Artisan is indeed a good format. All the mistakes seem to be Rare and Mythic.
>>
>>94256964
We literally had this shit happen three weeks ago when all the normies who got enthralled by Bloomburrow got imediately disgusted away by shitmourne.

Bloomburrow had to be followed by Lorwyn, Pyrulea or Shandalar to keep the whimsical fantasy feel until new players got sunk-cost trauma and the fact it didn't should tell you without a shadow of doubt that this franchise is lead by imbecile loan sharks who don't know shit about the game or it's players and the yes men who let them dictate whatever they want on the developers.
>>
File: s-l1200.png (1.07 MB, 1200x570)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
they'll print these in english for future volumes, right?
>>
>>94257251
This isn't a strong sell because it's the good old Llanowar Elves art. But the vampire and dragon are utter fucking shit and their anime counterparts are inherently better by simply not being the western art.

That's the problem, they seem to chose cards with trash art on purpose to give them much better alternates and it's not just the anime arts, the Bloomburrow cards with art by the Mouseguard guy seemed to specifically tell the MtG artist to phone their version in as hard as possible.
>>
>>94257994
Fortnite, just say Fortnite
>>
Whelp time to just play block constructed, premodern, and OG EDH
>>
>>94258445
SilverBlack is my noplayers comfort format.
>>
>>94257823
>even if we end up with the occasional "Urza's Miter.
There is nothing wrong with Urza's Miter. It's a beautiful card
>>
File: 1695467360201127.png (204 KB, 420x420)
204 KB
204 KB PNG
>>94256277
>Companions
>Fucking 18
>IT'S THE ONLY MARO MECHANIC ON THE LIST
>>
The fuck is "Unmemorable?"
>>
>>94256323
>"What do you say to the Warhammer 40,000 players who were lured in by the sci-fi trappings of Abaddon the Despoiler, only to be winked at by the single eye of a homunculus wearing a Stetson?"

I tacitly accept your viral marketing only because it is well written.
>>
File: Monster_Hunter_logo.png (138 KB, 376x265)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
This would be the ONLY Universes Beyond set that people would all actually like. You cannot convince me otherwise.
>>
all you social media tards melting down over this shit is hilarious.
>waaaaaaah Magic is dead
I've been around long enough that Magic was dead to me before you mongoloids even even touched the game.
at least this has the potential to be interesting.
>>
>>94258556
>Dragonlance
>Conan
>Dark Souls
>Stormbringer
>Castlevania
>Dinotopia
>Mouseguard

There's a lot of UB sets they could've made that would've crossed with Magic's target audience but those are not dying IPs prostututing themselves everywhere they can like AssCreed, Spongebob, TWD and post-MCU Marvel.
>>
>>94258572
>Look at me I ate more shit that you
Shut the fuck up retard lmao
>>
>>94258556
I gave away all of my cards last month (save for some ninjas) and I'd probably buy my favorite monster from a monhun set as keepsakes (as singles of course fucking giving a cent to wotc)
>>
>>94257846
They hated him because he told them the truth.
>>
>>94257846
Magic writting being shit doesn't mean MtG didn't have its own identity they could build upon.
>your Legally Distinct Avengers and Legally Distinct Cthulhu
People are talking from way before that, for me MtG core identity is the late 90's early 2000's with the invasion, odyssey, onslaught period.
>>
>>94257846
The haters wanted MtG to try to improve instead of becoming Cardboard Fortnite.
>>
>>94258711
Otaria was peak Magic and they'll never be anywhere near as soulful as back then.
>>
>>94258711
People didn't love the old lore (nor the old card frame) enough. They didn't hate the changes that came with 7th Edition enough. Spongebob is the result.
I hope every faggot who defended Mirrodin and Kamigawa back then who's still around enjoys the ride.
>>
>>94257560
Tahm Kench
Never back
Only farm
Licky licky
>>
>>94257846
>you say you want mtg to improve its storytelling
>yet you also don't like when they give up on storytelling entirely
>this is contradictory, somehow
>i am very smart
retard-kun, please stop posting
>>94258758
This
>>
Any Legacy gamers?
I want to buy into the format.
>>
>>94259014
Try Painter
>>
>>94259014
what do you like to play? legacy has a lot of different play styles
>>
The Eldrazi would look very good animated with AI, it would match the lovecraftian horror aesthetic very nicely
>>
>>94258572
bot post
>>
>>94257547
This art has grown on me. My black qween. Wish she was showing a little skin
>>
>>94259040
Painter's play patterns seem awesome.

>>94259051
I was thinking either turbo Doomsday or Lands. But Lands is supposedly pretty weak now and Doomsday might not be as fun to resolve as it looks (and absolutely miserable for the opponent).
>>
>>94259062
It's good art, much better than weebshit. Black women are just aesthetically disadvantaged.
>>
>>94259074
the deciding factor in doomsday is knowing if you enjoy the puzzle aspect of the deck, because getting there isn't hard, solving it is the challenging part
I can't talk much about lands since I don't play it myself, I'm more of a depths guy
>>
>>94256747
Yes?
>>
File: uoqinwoskaxd1.png (3.14 MB, 1920x1080)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB PNG
>>
me and my mates were talking about what standard really is for magic and we came to two separate conclusions outside of making money
in my opinion standard was pretty much the way they would tell the magic story in extensive parts. sure there are smaller non standard sets that can add little here and there but not entire planes worth mostly
one of them said standard was never about the story but just to be competetive in it's own environment. story is always secondary and it doesn't matter what the card looks like as long as it's playable in the meta
tldr I feel like I'm too naive but the other was too cynical way to look at standard and how the story is implemented in magic
>>
>>94259206
noice
>>
File: maro_cuck.png (272 KB, 563x435)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>94256323
Just letting the time flow..
>>
>>94259206
>Dan Scott
>Dan Murayama Scott
>>
>>94257829
The Necrodancer protag was, I think, kidnapped and she becomes part of the main crew when she's saved, but she's not as important as Link or Zelda, no.
>>
>>94256277
>Stickers at 20 and Companions at 18
Maro is absolutely shameless when it comes to his pet mechanics, those two should easily be in the top 5
>>
>>94259490
>annihilator, miracle, partner are all higher than companion
>they keep printing more annihilator, miracle and partner
new companions soon?
>>
I genuinely despise that disingenuous little rat bitch nosewater so fucking much and wish someone would hypothetically put a bullet in his head hypothetically
>>
These days i have seen some faggots, a minority luckily, trying to fool people into thinking UB is the progress, is for the better and that is not worse than what we actually have...

How can we deal with this "people"?
>>
>>94259539
Funnily enough, the threat of violence and verbal harassment
>>
>>94259539
Just get out of the hobby and wait for it to inevitably die
>>
>>94259539
there really isn't anything you can do, people spending money on this crap have more say than anyone giving genuine criticism
this >>94259555 wotc is gonna reap the consequences of their actions eventually
>>
>>94259521
Eldrazi companion is a matter of time.
Same with another return to Ikoria.
>>
File: Ga53Y7rWQAATd1o.jpg (167 KB, 744x1039)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Anyway some Foundations spoilers.
>>
File: Ga53Y8pXkAArbIz.jpg (170 KB, 744x1039)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>
File: edpw6gwmcbxd1.png (1.12 MB, 1200x1200)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
Guarded Heir 5W
Creature - Human Noble
Lifelink
When this creature enters, create two 3/3 white Knight creature tokens.
>>
>>94259586
Blue scute swarm looks cute.
>>
>>94259591
Why does this art actually resemble old Magic? Why can't I get more of this?
>>
>>94259586
>>94259591
Caretaker decks will become Azorious?
*Pukes*
>>
>>94259591
why does it say "when you do". would work without it jusr fine. in case you can't create tokens?
>>
>>94259634
I think it's so you can still cast it without a target, and them removing the target means you still make the tokens. If it was "up to one" I think the latter wouldn't be true? I dunno.
>>
>>94259620
You will have Cloud and Peter Parker soon...
AND YOU WILL LOVE IT BECAUSE IT'S THE WILL OF THE COMMUNITY FAG!
>>
>>94259608
mm yes, another perfectly white noble
>>
>>94259638
I thought a spell fizzles if it has not legal targets left
>>
File: otj-20-nurturing-pixie.jpg (152 KB, 672x936)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>94259620
Apart from Bloomburrow, there's little to no art consistency anymore within a set.
>>
>>94259608
Okay shitposting aside this art looks so much like AI
Maybe it was touched up by a human but that's it
>>
>>94257578
I fucking hate how recursive and derivative wotc is. He became a popular character because he was cute and the flavor text was relatable to a lot of lonely asocial nerds. WHAT'S THAT? HE'S LOST? OK LET'S MAKE HIM LOST EVERYWHERE LOLOLOL LOOK HE'S HERE BUT HE'S LOST AGAIN!
>>
File: m19-12-gallant-cavalry.jpg (152 KB, 672x936)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>94259687
>>
File: SeekeroftheWay.png (1.76 MB, 1203x880)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>94259687
That, or the guy is used in many prompts. Either way it feels different from how he usually renders
>>
>>94259218
I, too, liked 3 set blocks for both story purposes and gameplay evolution of mechanics.
>>
File: clb-217-barroom-brawl.jpg (164 KB, 672x936)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>94259753
>>94259741
Eh, it feels like that's just how he does lighting.
>>
>>94259655
Yes but the if you do wording makes it that you don't need a target just to get bodies on the field
>>
>>94259620
>Why can't I get more of this?
Because instead of giving WotC money for it, you were crying online about DEI and AI and shit. They only care about who pays them more.
>>
>>94259775
that's shockingly amateurish
>>
>>94259608
I love black people so much.
>>
>>94259815
oh can you really cast this if opponent has not creatures?
>>
>>94259833
Yeah, the way it's worded means it needs no targets and targets being lost doesn't affect the creation of the tokens.
>>
you have to play against it
>>
>>94259869
wotc should be made to pay for endorsing this kind of rapist rhetoric
>>
In other news, WotC's opening up portfolio submissions from freelance artists.
For some reason.
https://company.wizards.com/en/freelance-art-submissions
>>
>>94259869
Yep son i will have to play against Kefka Palazzo or Mary Jane Watson... Unless i leave this game for good.
>>
>>94259893
After they scraped one of their artist's portfolio?
>>
>>94259893
They're trying to cut costs while also filling in the surge of demand for art due to making six standard legal sets per year. Not hard to figure out why.
>>
>>94259857
I know I'm asking a lot but could you give me another card example. or an ability that does something and targets after a when you do and still does the thing if the target gets removed? I can't think of any card that does this
>>
File: cavalry.png (514 KB, 486x679)
514 KB
514 KB PNG
>>94259933
Nta but you can sacrifice a creature with Cavalier of Night even if your opponent controls no creatures.
>>
File: blb-121-wick-s-patrol.jpg (147 KB, 672x936)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>94259933
This will mill three cards, even if your opponent sacs their target in response or something.
>>
>>94259833
In this particular card, yes. Once the tokens are created there'll be a triggered effect though, that will fizzle if no targets. Or if something prevents you from making tokens you just won't get the chance to tap an opponents' creature.
>>
>>94259959
>>94259973
>>94260003
oh yeah it creates a reflexive trigger right? I always forget that's a thing when it says "when you do"
>>
>>94256277
What's wrong with annihilator? It's kind of not nearly as bad as all the others on that list.
>>
>>94260198
Popularity: Popular

Annihilator fell in the 50% to 75% range. Players liked it but it wasn't beloved.

Design Space: Small

Annihilator goes on giant Eldrazi, of which there aren't that many.

Versatility: Neutral

Because it only went onto giant creatures, there was a need for your deck to be able to play giant creatures. Other than that though, annihilator was relevant in almost all games.

Development: Problematic

Even annihilator 1 is incredibly powerful and potentially extremely frustrating. When that's the least power development can add to a card by putting a mechanic on it, there's just a very limited amount of balance space they can operate in to tune cards.

Playability: Playability affected

This mechanic was very often misunderstood, as players didn't quite get when it triggered or what exactly happened when it did.

Storm Scale Rating: 9

The mechanic is hard to design, hard to develop, and was miserable to play against. The fact that it didn't come back in Battle for Zendikar is a big sign saying its chances of returning are low.
>>
I was told blocking rules were dumbed down because little Timmy might get butthurt and his mom Karen might write an angry tweet. Say it ain't so.
>>
>>94260219
I think people vastly overestimate what the blocking changes actually mean. There's very few scenarios that actually end up any different.
>>
You know... If blocks were still alive UB could be stopped.
>>
>>94260254
People ALWAYS say this then when I ask them for blocks with good writing they can only name Ravnica and even that was bad. It's an interesting PLANE but the actual story there is DOGSHIT.
WotC writes premises not stories.
>>
>>94260254
>instead of having a single UB set at a time we would have 3
No thanks
>>
>>94260219
>amage assignment order no longer exists. If a creature is facing multiple opposing creatures in combat, that creature's combat damage is assigned and dealt as its controller desires during the combat damage step. Other players won't necessarily know what's going to happen.
>>
>>94260211
>Design Space: Small
I disagree. Annihilator design space can be easily expanded: Elf Suprematist with 'Annihilator Goblin', Goblin Arsonist with 'Annihilator Forest', Scholar of New Riptide with 'Annihilator Sliver' or Master Assassin with 'Annihilator Legend' are there in design limbo waiting to be made.
>>
>>94260219

they just removed the little combat minigame where your opponent juggles their blockers around and then you juggle them back. I can't think of a time in a game when it ever did anything. it's just a tiny little QOL improvement, nobody will ever even notice that it's gone.
>>
>>94260325
Most people already said "okay this deals damage like this" anyway. That still happens, it's just the removal of a whole step for it that's changed.
>>
>>94260211
oh yeah and mutate was so much better by every metric which is not even on that list
>>
>>94260211
> Playability: Playability affected
> This mechanic was very often misunderstood, as players didn't quite get when it triggered or what exactly happened when it did.

Is this taking the piss? It's an attack trigger. The average commander bait legendary uncommon they print nowadays is harder to understand. Fuck, rooms have more rule quirks and they just printed that.
>>
File: 17299990753401562.png (6.31 MB, 2176x2826)
6.31 MB
6.31 MB PNG
>>94256603
Sorry Anon, you're post ignited my autism and I ended up making this.
>>
>>94259490
It's a list of the worst mechanics. He admitted that they're bad. Stop being a faggot.
>>
I've been dragged back into mtg recently by some friends but I'm out of the loop on the last 8 or so years of what's going on with the game.
One of the things I used to do was collect interesting spindowns from sets, has wotc released any cool or unique ones in the last couple years?
>>
>>94260523
>what's going on with the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VScSEXRwUqQ
We are witnessing the fall of a giant anon. The last decisions made by WotC ordered by their Hasbro overlords will lead to this game death, what you maybe liked about this tcg is long ago gone.
>>
>>94260466
>>94256603
if mummies and pirates are a "surrender to pop-culture references" then so are portal 3 kingdoms and arabian nights?
I want ubslop gone as much as the next guy but this is not very convincing
>>
>>94256603
I partially agree with your sentiment but this image is shit. Misspellings and strange word choices everywhere.

>>94260466
I appreciate the cleanup and the attempt to proofread, but I feel like you might've lost a few details of the original author's intent.
>>
You should play a real card game like old maid
>>
>>94259608
Mystery meat trio
>>
>>94260565
That sort of stuff falls into things like Albert Eisenstein being on a card, something that happened early in Magic's history that was eventually moved away from as the game forms it's own identity.
>>
what I'm really struggling to understand is: if extended had to die because nobody played it outside of spikes, why are we turning standard into extended 2.0?
>>
boy i sure love seing sheoldred for another year,thank you vvizards
>>
File: Spoiler Image (805 KB, 1269x698)
805 KB
805 KB PNG
>>94260594
already moved on
>>
>>94260609
so you are saying that cards like Aladdin and Dong Zhou are bad magic design? because I agree
>>
>>94260639
Bitch that is the least of our fucking worries right now
>>
>>94257951
this. it makes it look like cherrypicking if anything
>>
>>94260690
Yes.
>>
>>94256603
>>94257951
Wasn't Arabian Nights the fourth set in the game's history?
>>
>>94260609
Except they "moved away" from that to this.
>>
>>94260702
based. if someone says to me again that magic has always done this then I'll just say those are shit too
>>94257951
those are shit too
>>
>>94260609
Then when was Magic good? I want you to name the specific start and end dates.
>>
File: 1702553424107364.png (842 KB, 843x787)
842 KB
842 KB PNG
I dont give a shit about ub. I do give a shit about 6 standard legal sets in one year meaning rotation of the format every two months. wotc increased the legality of sets so decks are longer viable just to destroy it all again.
>>
>>94260639
oooooh yes you are right, bad shelly being in standard is truly so baad right now...
but don't worry because next year you will have to deal with venom and cloud and surely things will improve lmao.
>>
>>94260726
>even based odyssey had pop culture references
nothing is sacred
>>
>>94260746
Wotc think addig ub will save standard (and 60 cards format)
>>
>>94260746
6 is unbereable. No actual normal customer will be able to keep with a 2 months legal deck. Is stupid and retarded think that such business model is affordable in any way.
>>
>>94260726
>using the same example again and again
If you can't see the difference between that and UB and every set being a theme park, you might have brain damage
>>
>>94260759
no. wotc think this will get them more money as ub sells even shitty sets. wotc want another one ring happening to pioneer and standard so they sell more product and get more IPs for future UB products.
>>
File: mt9d23289.png (455 KB, 993x648)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
>>94260726
It's two cards which have a non-obtrusive reference to a 90s vampire show, that's on a completely different level than UB. With and without the context of buffy the vampire(?) slayer it's still just a human and a vampire working together against a greater threat, it's not a legally distinct buffy the vampire plane of literally buffy the vampire.

>>94260733
The whole point of the image is that it's a gradual process, but if you had to push me about what my favorite are MTG sets are flavor wise I'd say pic rel are probably my favriote sets despite the misgivings I have with some of them.

>>94260578
I try to cut down of hyperbole of usage and re-stating the same point, but someone else can always edit the image even further if they like.
>>
>>94260775

just lease your decks bro, we'll even sell you a deck subscription starting at 39.99 a month plus tax, tip, and shipping. if you want a meta deck you'll need our premium plan tho... :^)
>>
>>94260805
magic players are all about technicalities since the game itself works that way. there is technically no difference between Aladdin and Spongebob
>>
>>94260775
I was about to get into Standard and wanted to see what Foundations brought before committing to a deck, but this announcement killed any interest I had in the format.
>>
File: 1714204212796128.png (715 KB, 1107x623)
715 KB
715 KB PNG
>>94260830
This. I was a die-hard Pioneer fan but after the announcement i was ready to jump into Standard, then friday they announce that Standard will get 6 sets a year and what's worse, half those sets will be UB, aka shit outseide of Magic, that now will be legal around all formats.

All the hype, hopes and interest i had for playing died in a blink.
>>
>>94260805
>the cope
I can see the "difference" it's only time.
>>94260814
>non-obtrusive reference
If that's non-obtrusive then this should be totally fine.
>>
>>94260854
>it's only time
>2 cards in a single block vs whole fucking set
Show me the Buffy the vampire slayer set anon.
>>
File: 1629147566828.jpg (111 KB, 686x1024)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>94260852
>All the hype, hopes and interest i had for playing died in a blink.
Your first mistake was having hope to begin with.
>>
>>94260747
tifa aggro is gonna be tier 0 mark my words
>>
>>94260877
That block was over 20 years ago, did you think they'd stop there?
>>
>>94260854
Honestly I have no idea what the reference is too. But new Capenna as a whole is way more shallow plane when compared to Ravinca despite them both being fantasy city planes based on a real life city. Ravnica was just executed much better because it uses the idea of a fantasy renaissance city plane to explore the identities of two color combinations while New Capenna tries to use 5 of the three color combinations to express or represent a certain era of history in New York city and to a lesser extant the prohibition era as a whole.
>>
>"Aligning the Universes: Making All Our Sets Legal in All Our Formats"
As much as I love to doompost about literally fucking everything being the death of Magic

This article is literally them explicitly saying they intend to kill Magic.

It's fucking over, bros.
>>
File: 1lud0yk5wvw81.png (1.5 MB, 1986x1107)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>94260900
>Honestly I have no idea what the reference is too
Because it's even more non-obtrusive.
>>
File: 1682253102881192.jpg (150 KB, 1024x1024)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>We're not just getting an extra UB set in Standard every year
>The actual mainline Magic sets are being REPLACED by UB sets

HOW
HOW DO THEY DO IT
HOW DO THEY KEEP FINDING WAYS TO MAKE IT WORSE
THIS SHOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE
>>
>>94260920
Oh yeah, I remember finding Nemo.
Doesn't fix my problems with New Capenna.
>>
>>94260934
Fuck New Capenna, when are we getting a Nemo card?
>>
Reminder that literally EVERYTHING that EVERYONE said was going to happen as a result of Universes Beyond IS happening, and they WERE right about EVERY prediction.
>>
>>94260960
Well they already have a deal with Disney for Marvel, and it doesn't have enough content for a set so if we do get it, it'll probably be a Secret Lair.
>>
>Goblins are known for their big noses
>Remove their one defining feature because JK Rowling
>Now just look like gremlins
I'm convinced the people who play MtG still absolutely hate what happened to the game, art, etc but only play it as it's the only TCG like it.
>>
File: Goblin Maiden (mtg).jpg (53 KB, 756x599)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>94260972
You WILL embrace your new regular ass humans with green skin overlords and you WILL like it.
>>
File: 1664908692715189.jpg (62 KB, 619x508)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>94260929
The meme grows more potent
>>
>>94260972
At this point Cube seems like the only way forward. Everything else is such a mess that your best bet is to get a pile of the cards you enjoy and stick with that.
>>
>>94260775
>No actual normal customer will be able to keep with a 2 months legal deck.
You can keep up, but only if the price of upgrading your deck is "free".
LoL and DotA2 update on a similar basis and the players can handle it fine, because they don't have to dump $$$ on new gameplay pieces and can just use the new Aghanim's Shard or whatever for free as soon as the update drops, or in LoL's case, if a new hero is out you can unlock it if you played the game a lot, and there's a free rotation of heroes to entice idiots to play new characters, like them, and grind the freemium currencies to unlock them
That latter part is basically how MTGA functions, so 6 sets and thus 6 standard rotations per year, confirms the WotC and Hasbro execs want to focus on Arena as the main thing.
>>
>>94260929
I wonder, will this actually end up biting WotC in the ass later down the line?
>>
Friendly reminder if you are searching for the real culptript of the demise of Magic: The Gathering you just have to look at a mirror.

People have been saying this since Walking Dead, no one listened, we keep buying and UB sets were very popular. Now we are here, at the abyss.
>>
>>94261005
it's saving their ass
>>
Smashing UB into Standard feels like the final straw for many, many people.
Before this shit, people had the excuse of "I hate it, but at least it doesn't impact the core game."

That excuse is gone. And Is wear, 80% of the people I know who play Magic were coping and seething with that excuse for the longest time. No more.
>>
>>94261017
Only commander players bought twd.
>>
>>94261017
>People have been saying this since Walking Dead, no one listened, we keep buying and UB sets were very popular.
Talk to yourself mate.
I haven't bought a single Magic card in almost a decade. Cube, proxies for EDH, custom sets for draft. WotC has not received even a penny from me since UB started.
>>
>>94256277
can tell the man doesn't play his own game
>>
>>94261017
I refuse to take any blame for what the Cummander and the Modern whales did to this game. Fuck you and fuck them all for ruining this game.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (128 KB, 592x446)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>94261017
>Friendly reminder if you are searching for the real culptript of the demise of Magic: The Gathering you just have to look at a mirror.
I don't see how staring in the mirror is supposed to help me understand.
>>
>>94261018
For a while now. Realistically speaking how does one keep the UB schmuck interested for longer?
>>
>>94256312
He didn't design Companion , he just approved letting in the set. Still involved but people assume Maro does way more than he actually does because he is so front facing.
He doesn't even work on a lot of supplemental sets for example
>>
>>94261082
Stop rewriting history. He designed this shit back during tempest. It got shelved because the playtesters thought it was dumb as fuck and made the game too consistent.
>>
>>94258240
That it was a cool concept with a pretty crappy and wonky execution.
>>
>>94261099
Source?
>>
>>94261116
The horses's mouth:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/making-magic/topical-blend-did-you-hear-one-about-2015-12-07-0
>>
>>94257647
Easily Mark Winters worst art yet, and it is a "key art" main character...
>>
>>94261071
replace jacetice league or whoever the protagonists are now with spongebob characters
>>
>>94261017
>we keep buying
Lol no, what are you, retarded?
>>
>>94261071
You will always have franchise that are past their prime that needs a cheap popularity boost.
>>
>>94261125
>Luckily, Magic R&D had two young interns who were available for playtesting
Lmao
>>
>>94257647
Chandra continues to NEVER look the same from card-to-card. It's actually astounding how they can never quite nail her design down. Meanwhile Jace, their other face character, tends to be largely consistent.
>>
>>94261169
I think fire itself is more consistent in its appearance than chandra is.
>>
>>94261125
I like how he specifically says the cards were weaker than normal, then they came up with shit like Lurrus.
>>
>Gandalf the white
>actually black
so which beloved marvel and final fantasy characters are they going to blackwash in the upcoming UB sets, or is it only beloved works of fiction from history that face the DEI menace? i think it would be pretty racist to leave final fantasy full of only white characters.
>>
>>94261199
FF has enough darker characters already. Please stop saying they'll make Tifa black or something stupid.
>>
>>94261017
>we
Who "we"? I didn't buy a single UB card ever. And neither did a large portion of this thread. So "we" are not at fault. You might be, though
>>
>>94261199
Wouldn't that piss off the nips?
>>
>>94261199
Tidus has already been browned I expect Squall to be a nigger.
>>
>>94261199
Black SpongeBob
>>
File: white_tree.png (832 KB, 672x936)
832 KB
832 KB PNG
>>94261199
THE FUTURE IS NOW, OLD MAN
>>
>>94261189
Because the mechanic itself wasn't broken but actually boring so they realized they needed at least one with a broken ability to make it interesting
>>
>>94261218
you're right, it's only okay to piss off wypipo with deislop
>>
File: 1701027337757789.jpg (78 KB, 924x727)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>94261250
>that picture
holy fuck
>>
After all the replies I feel the need to clear some things up
>>94257822
>>94257992
>>94258036
Thanks for the positivity
>>94257896
>>94258080
Yeah, I am not an artist and most of my Paint creations are shitty mockups I really just wanted to make this to have a baseline for discussion so that people know what the fuck is meant when someone says "Innistrad taught Wizards bad lessons".
>>94258103
>>94260722
In retrospect I should of added an entire other box on the top showing MTGs move from just being D&D references presented with the color pie, to using other references to provide structure, to then being self referential. In retrospect the recent UB stuff is just a incredibly vulgar regression.
>>94257951
This is a revelation I came to while making this. It all comes back to the Color Pie. If you look back at Alpha a good chunk of the set is color hate effects, Goblins are not just Goblins, they are red creatures with the Goblin King having Mountainwalk. As time went on and MTG started being more and more self referential one of the things that came with it is the idea of how certain subjects in MTG expressed themselves. The reason for the Blue Row is that is clear to see that their was a point in magic where regardless of plane a Blue Mage and Blue Magic users looked a certain way (check the head and clothing choices between them, there is a shift but continuity in concept is kept) which was slowly lost.
Lastly
>>94260466
Good job anon you made my shit show into something nice the one thing lost is that the surrender still tried to present as MTG at first before abandoning it whic is what the pretense line was for
>>
>>94261228
Tidus was tanned in his original appearance. He was explicitly based off of Okinawans. His dad has darker skin too.
>>
File: IMG_0016.jpg (78 KB, 960x357)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>94261280
I don’t know anything about LOtR, what is wrong with the art?
>>
>>94261299
This is the actual card.
>>
>>
File: FFX_Artwork_Tidus.png (953 KB, 850x1200)
953 KB
953 KB PNG
>>94261295
>>
>>94261199
>are they going to blackwash
None will.
>>
File: Tidus_Avatar_PS2.png (28 KB, 114x114)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>94261334
This was his in-game avatar. He's not SUPER dark, but he's clearly meant to have some tanning or some such.
>>
File: yuna_tidus.jpg (93 KB, 750x500)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>94261357
Yeah a tan, not brown skin.
>>
>>94261250
Kek
>>
>>94261379
And that's a tan in that art? That's a Japanese artist doing it anyway.
>>
File: Ga5uWUuXEAAx3NN.jpg (849 KB, 1247x828)
849 KB
849 KB JPG
>>
>>94261407
The artists follow their instructions and they browned the boy.
>>
>>94261425
mommy
>>
>>94261379
>One year to see this shit in EVERY goddamnit format
What absolute shit.
>>
I FUCKING HATE THE COMBAT DAMAGE CHANGE
>>
>>94261586
Name 3 real scenarios in a non-EDH format where it would matter.
>>
>>94261586
Name seventeen scenarios in which this change is detrimental to their outcome.
>>
>>94261593
1) Someone who has played the game for 15 years assuming it functions the same as before, either by routine or by not having heard of the change.
2-288) All combat tricks.
>>
>>94261425
Milkers-edit when?
>>
>>94261622
So zero scenarios because these only exist in your head. MaRo's own example of a combat trick it was better to single block and cast Growth anyway.
>>
The combat damage change fundamentally breaks the game's core system of interaction, culls a huge chunk of potential bluffs and tricks, and the game will feel much worse to play as a result.
This is a gross oversimplification that cleaves out a massive chunk of tactics from MTG and accomplishes nothing in return.

Not only does the change achieve nothing, but it also makes the game worse. MUCH worse.
>>
>>94261586
name one scenario
>>
>>94260907
and as much as I love doomposting about we yugioh now about everything
this article is litearlly them explicitly saying we yugioh now
>>
>>94261639
>it was better to single block and cast Growth anyway.
"Technically better" does not mean tactically superior. Fuck off.
Sometimes you double block when you don't need to because you're trying to bait out one of their combat tricks. Or sometimes you're doing it for insurance in case of enemy removal. Or sometimes you're doing it for that insurance, while also keeping up a trick for whichever doesn't eat the dirt.

Shredding defensive tactics from your game, when it is a core part of what makes combat in the game so interesting to engage with, is fucking retarded.

This is a FUCKING TERRIBLE change. The type of retarded idea that could only be thought of by paycheck thieves who don't actually play the game, trying to justify their own jobs.
>>
>>94261674
>Or sometimes you're doing it for insurance in case of enemy removal
Confirmed you don't play the game. That's not how removal works after blockers declared.
>>
>>94261689
>He is unable to visualize the hypothetical.
You are low IQ.
>>
>>94261017
I only bought in-universe cards and stopped when it became the meta
>>
>>94261697
>Declare attacker
>Declare blocker
>Enemy uses removal on blocker
>Attacker is still blocked
>>
>>94261708
That has nothing to do with the situation presented.
The fact that you can't comprehend trample, combat tricks that grant trample, or the desire to guarantee the opponent's creature is killed in combat even if one of your blockers is killed before damage means...

You are low IQ.
>>
>whenever you draw your second card each turn...
How long before this garbage is a keyword?
>>
>>94261723
>Uh actually in this made-up scenario with dogshit cards seeing zero play in any format that isn't EDH, it matters
>>
>>94261645
I don't understand their reasoning, they say they have been testing it for a year and it feels better but fucking how? It makes combat more favorable for the attacker and pro-active strats have always been dominant in mtg, so this just strengtheners straight forward decks, on top of that it makes combat tricks significantly worse and they were already bad.
But then again these are the same intellectuals that didn't think of using oko +1 on opponent permanents and thought dirge bat was the strongest card in ikoria.
>>
>>94261731
>He devolves into faggotry when called out.
Low IQ confirmed.
>>
>>94261736
>finna attack with Black Aragorn
>but I have a 2/4, two 3/6es, a 1/5, a 0/4 wall, two Vampire Nighthaw—
>I SAID I FINNA ATTACK
>>
>>94261736
>I don't understand their reasoning, they say they have been testing it for a year and it feels better but fucking how?
They are simpletons unable to appreciate that tactics matter, and see interesting tactics as that thing that hurts their brain, so it has to go.
>>
>>94261674
>this nigga pretending combat matters in current year mtg
lol
>>
>>94261736
This is what I was thinking. The game is already "creatures the tappening" with more and more powercreep on snowballing offense, so why make a change that makes offense even more powerful?
Combat tricks are basically only played in Limited formats, and even then they have to be pretty pushed to consider. Making them worse seems like a mistake too.
>>
>Red Deck Wins
>Wins
Crazy.
>>
>>94261804
Explaining to retards that my cube uses the real, old combat rules is going to be annoying.
This change does nothing but make things more braindead, brick half of combat tricks and annoy people.
>>
>no cards in hand display
>no decks in the cardboardlive extension
why is it even harder to watch than during the draft portion
>>
>Six Standard sets a year
>Half of them are UB
game = dead
>>
Reminder that the combat damage change is ONLY to blank old cards so you have to buy new ones.
There is no other reason fir it happening.
>>
>>94261908
I could tolerate 1 to make some sort of preliminar contact, but half the sets of a year? suck my hairy balls.
>>
I'm out of the loop, can someone explain what changes they made to combat rules?
>>
>>94261728
considering exiling from the top that you can play until end of turn didn't this one will neither
>>
>>94261646
Combat tricks that buff only toughness are functionally non-existent now.
>>
>>94261858
>the real, old combat rules
pre-6th edition?
>>
>>94261935
Instead of the attacker choosing ordering the multiple blockers, your attacking creature is now just essentially "Fireball" and you just divide your damage however you like among the creatures blocking it.
It's a retarded change for babies.
>>
>>94261953
Yep. And now I have even more shit to explain.
>>
the change is ok because it makes edgelord menace deathtouch creatures slightly better
>>
>>94261935
>I'm out of the loop, can someone explain what changes they made to combat rules?
The attacker no longer declares damage assignment order to multiple blockers.
Instead, they simply assign damage as damage is being dealt.

In effect, this change eliminates the ability for a defender to respond after they know which order damage will be dealt in. There is no longer a window to cast spells between damage being assigned, and damage being dealt.

It's a fucking FLAMING GARBAGE change that accomplishes nothing and ruins half the game.
>>
File: edpw6gwmcbxd1.png (392 KB, 1200x1200)
392 KB
392 KB PNG
>>94261199
>we wuz
>>
I'm already encountering people being confused by not being able to respond after damage order is declared.

If their goal was to make the game more simple, they have failed. This is BEYOND unintuitive.
>>
>>94261990
Their goal wasn't to make the game more simple, their goal was to make games end faster. The change was made for Arena, not paper.
>>
>>94261781
Best Aragorn
>>
>>94261985
>white card with dark black skin yet again
wow it's just like blacked!! thanks america
>>
File: greendraft.png (104 KB, 466x258)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>stuck drafting on Arena because the LGS is closed today
I'm going to miss DSK draft. I love this stupid thing.
>>
>>94262016
b-but i wanted to block your creatures so that you would have to assign damage to my blocking creatures in an order of your choice and i could cast some pump spell and
>>
>>94262042
wizards will change the stack so white spells resolve last
>>
>>94262055
doesn't white have the most niggers though
>>
LET IT DIE.
>>
>>94260312
We have people throwing bitch fits about "manifest dread", imagine the outrage at "annihilator forest"
>>
given that they are owned by a globohomo corporation (hasbro) and they MUST pump out as much cardboard for profit each year, I prefer having UB over cringy meme sets like MKM and OTJ. Then they can focus the magic (IP) sets on good planes / storyline events. And the UB may be fun for draft. (cope successful)
>>
File: yes.gif (3.03 MB, 500x254)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB GIF
>>94262188
>>
>amalia doesn't promote interracial sex, we're going to have to ban it
>>
>>94262231
honestly I feel the opposite. I would MUCH rather take some in-universe mechanically unique cringe cards like loot than out-universe ones (an IP I don't like)
>>
>>94262280
>Amalia
>The Spanish Vampire qt fucking a half-fairy half fantasy!britbong
>>
Is Sweet Baby Inc also employed by WotC?
>>
>>94262280
She's explicitly in an interracial relationship.
>>
File: 1712544200760900.jpg (281 KB, 1079x1340)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>94262320
>>
This Seth vs Javier game is great.
>>
>>94262440
>>94262440
>>94262440
>>
>>94261017
>we
>>
>>94262231
> Then they can focus the magic (IP) sets on good planes / storyline events
You know the stories will continue to become even worse. Remember when we thought the jacetice league was rock bottom?
>>
>>94261425
>In case of disaster, break the coomer glass
>>
>>94261593
>>94261622
They already removed damage on stack, the rest is hubris
>>
>>94260659
Don't even show this to me as a joke. So much potential, such a large autist-pool to draw from, just for an even more nothing pokemon tcg.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.