[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

We've been avoiding this conversation for long enough.
It's about time we address the envelope in the room.

Alien Versus Predator: Requiem is a better movie than AVP. And significantly so.

>But anon, AVP:R is terrible!
Of course it is
But it's still miles better than AVP, which is far, far worse
Some anons mistakenly believe otherwise, and they are of course terribly mistaken.
>>
weak bait
>>
aliens are basically just fodder to me. i only watch anything for the predator anyways. only predator and predator 2 are good
>>
>>203095019
It helps that the director seemed to actually give a shit about Predator lore. I actually have a replica of the mask from this movie. It's pretty cool and very heavy, but it came with a flimsy little metal loop to hang it that's since broken off, so I haven't gotten around to displaying it.
>>
File: 133028962476.jpg (32 KB, 465x383)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>203095019
I went to see this fucking movie when it came out on christmas day when i was 10 years old. I think seeing it was supposed to be my christmas present or something because otherwise i have no idea why my parents would take me to see it instead of doing anything else on christmas morning. my mom and sister waited in the fucking lobby the whole movie, too. anyway yes it is terrible. wolf was pretty cool though.
>>
>>203095019
It was alright, here's my favourite scene
>>
>>203095542
shit was cash
>>
>>203095375
Wolf is the only good thing about this dark, mostly unwatchable mess.
>>
>>203095019
I liked AVP:R because the predator actually acts like the predator.
>>
>>203095019
I was getting ready to watch it tonight, actually. I've never seen it (saw the Paul Anderson one in theaters) and I have a sneaking suspicion I might really like it.
>>
>>203095019
You know what OP, you may be right. Because I saw Alien vs Predator opening day and it was a complete piece of shit movie. One of the worst ever. Deserves its reputation. But I ain’t watching a sequel even if it’s Rated R.
>>
>>203095611
You're going to hate it anon, honestly, it's mostly "teen" drama
>>
>>203095375
>my mom and sister waited in the fucking lobby the whole movie
Women.
>>
>>203095623
No it's really bad, lol
It's considered the worst Alien movie
I genuinely believe AVP is worse though
But it's like cancer and aids kinda situation.
>>
>>203095628
And then those teens get slaughtered by aliens and the predator, right?
>>
>>203095709
Ummmmmmmm yes but it's not as satisfying as it sounds
>>
>>203095542
kek
>>
>>203095709
maybe. cant really see whats happening because the movie is too dark
>>
>>203095747
>>203095542
People keep saying this but it looks fine from the trailers. I'll judge when I see the movie but I'm thinking people are just mad they can't take an epic screenshot for their wallpaper. They said the same thing about Godzilla 2014 and I could see that movie just fine.
>>
>>203095019
AVP2 is literally the only bad Alien movie including Prometheus/Covenant (haven’t seen Romulus). It has the budget of a scifi channel movie. Even the main antagonist Predator-alien isn’t even an original prop, it’s just a reused Predator costume from some other movie with a tail glued on. AVP2 is garbage…
>>
>>203095809
It's really dark anon
>>
>>203095019
AvP is a fun adventure movie with likeable characters.
AvP:Requiem is a shitty slasher movie which is so poorly lit that you can barely see the kills most of the time.

AvP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Avp:R
>>
>>203095019
Everyone who paid to see a movie and got to see a dark screen should sue.
>>
File: tefgh.jpg (1.19 MB, 3624x3600)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>203095809
>but it looks fine from the trailers.
Yeah, the trailer and the final movie are graded really differently
>>
>>203095982
Okay. That's pretty dark. I can roll with it, though.
>>
>>203096040
just watch it already so you can come back and tell us all how right we are
>>
>>203095938
The characters are the worse part of AVP2. There aren’t any. I felt myself rooting for the bully to kick the main kid’s ass. And what was up with that 40 year old balding guy playing a high school kid? Can’t even find a pic of this asshole.
>>
File: 3423.jpg (1.04 MB, 3624x3600)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>203096040
Good luck!
>>
>>203095019
AVP fails at the absolute most basic requirement of a movie, which is that it be visible.
>>
>>203096057
I intend to. But I overslept in a nap and want to do some things first. I want to get high and I might play some more of the Aliens TC Doom mod beforehand.
>>
It's like comparing the 2 Promethus movies. They are both shithouse and not worth mentioning.
I saw AvP at the cinema. Flicked through a download of Requim and didnt see a single alien or pred, so didnt bother watching.
>>
>>203096071
>>203095982
I bet some suit is to blame for this, you know they were like "hmm it needs to be darker, how else are people supposed to know it's scary unless it's dark"
>>
>>203095019
Over time I've started to prefer it more than the first one
>>
>>203095019
darkest movie I've ever watched
>>
>>203096317
it wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't so fucking dark

like these are much better
>>203096071
>>203095982
>>
>>203095938
>AvP is a fun adventure movie with likeable characters
The protagonist is completely bland and not hot enough to justify it. The fight scenes are incredible and visually stunning though.
>>
File: AvP Transition.webm (3.92 MB, 1024x426)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
>>203095019
>Alien Versus Predator: Requiem is a better movie than AVP. And significantly so.
No it's not. The first Alien vs. Predator is a rip-roaring film by auteur filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson. (Watch the extended cut, it's even better.) The sequel is mean-spirited, soulless garbage by the people who made Skyline.

The only good parts of Alien vs. Predator: Requiem were shamelessly stolen from Resident Evil: Apocalypse. The thing about Alien vs. Predator is that the core of the brand is the idea of humans and Predators being allies, even friends. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem discards that to be a shitty teen slasher movie.

So far, every attempt to take a franchise off Paul W.S. Anderson and continue it without him has been an absolutely clusterfuck of incompetence and bad taste.
>>
>>203097781
I need a Paul WS Anderson AvP remake now
>>
Poor bait
>>
File: CPnR_yEUwAAwZGn.jpg (31 KB, 374x502)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>203097781
The first AvP was boring and watered-down and didn't get fun until the lady and the Pred teamed up. I would have watched a whole Predator buddy cop movie like that, just give me that.

Incidentally, the two sequels to Paul Anderson movies that I've seen, I loved. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, while a pale imitation of the first, is whacky fun, and Resident Evil: Apocalypse made me love the Resident Evil movies. I'm hoping this can be another one of those cases.

Anyway, the TCH is kicking in and I'm going to go play some Aliens TOC. Then if I'm not asleep, I'll watch this dreck.
>>
>>203097770
>The protagonist is completely bland and not hot enough to justify it.
Lex is the best protagonist since Ripley.
>>
>>203095019
>little kid gets chestbursted on-screen
>pregnant woman gets impregnated by predalien in a hospital bed
AVPR is depraved trash and far below basically all other Alien and Predator movies.
>>
I went to see this movie after RE Extinction and it was so fucking dark I barely remember a thing. All I remember is the Predalien and a hot blonde getting semi-naked.
>>
>>203095019
The human stuff makes this movie unbearable to watch.
>>
People close to the production have said that the Digital Image technician on Requiem fucked up and the grading isn't meant to be like that. But I don't think un-fucking the grading would unfuck the movie. That said, I do think the team who made AvPR deserve to have their work seen in the best light.
>>
>>203095019
The only good scenes are those in the pred planet
I honestly dont even remember anything from this movie except the pred planet and some xenos in a pool and the final duel between with the predalien
>>
>>203097883
Which cut of AvP did you watch? And how was it watered down, specifically? I've never really understood that criticism. How is AvP watered down compared to Aliens? What does Aliens have that AvP doesn't in terms of violence?
>>
File: 1497970605465.jpg (22 KB, 391x391)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>203095019
You're bait is painfully lame. Here's a (you).
>>
>>203098316
There are people who prefer AvPR over AvP, but I've always felt that they love AvPR because it's a cruel, mean spirited slasher movie, and they think that Predator and Alien films should be that. And I can respect that preference, but I prefer AvP because it focuses on being a fun adventure movie with likeable characters where shit goes immensely sideways, then a Predator and a pretty black lady maybe fall in love.
>>
File: Through the ice.webm (2.89 MB, 1024x434)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
Did you know that in Resident Evil: Retribution, Rain was meant to suffer the same fate as the Alien Queen in AvP? Basically she'd fall through the ice and be dragged to the bottom of the ocean and she she'd be unable to die, but unable to escape.

Milla read the script on the day of shooting and told Paul that this was retarded and made absolutely no sense. (She does this a lot with Paul's scripts.) That's why the scene was changed to Rain being dragged under the ice (and eaten offscreen) by zombies. They didn't have enough stuntmen because this was an unplanned and sudden script change, so Jeremy Bolt had to slap on zombie makeup and jump in the cold water to make up the numbers.
>>
>>203095019
You’re 100% correct OP. I watched both films last week and can confirm. First one had some kino scenes like the girl getting her mark from the predator and uhhh the aliens fighting the predators but Requiem goes balls to the wall full on earth infestation, predator alien hybrid, nuking the city center, scenes of the predator homeworld
>>
>>203098470
I just wish it wasn't so fucking dark
>>
>>203098228
How was it watered down? It was PG-13. Okay, the only real gory part of Aliens was the chestburster scene, and they did that here, but I don't remember it being as brutal as that obligatory scene usually is. But I watched the theatrical cut. What's so better about the director's cut?

Also, the Aliens may be able to work in a PG-13 movie, but the Predator's schtick is that he skins people. Also they pulled out of saying "motherfucker" even though you can say the F-word in a PG-13 movie.
>>
File: yeah but why.jpg (25 KB, 323x454)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>203095375
>my mom and sister waited in the fucking lobby the whole movie, too
>>
File: kurtz.png (86 KB, 330x250)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
>>203095809
All memes aside, they absolutely fucked up the brightness. In a completely dark room, with a good tv, shit's still hard to see. And not in like a chiaroscuro high contrast, harsh lighting sort of way. In a "black bears in a black forest on a cloudy night" sort of way. It became a meme for a reason
>>
File: Sanaa Lathan.jpg (171 KB, 1024x764)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>203097770
>52 years old
she can get it
>>
File: I'm cooming.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>203098898
aaaahhhhhh
>>
File: Requiem.png (377 KB, 961x405)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
>>203097781
>The sequel is mean-spirited
Idk. I kinda like a bit of a mean spirit in my Alien movies.
It's supposed to be horror.
>>
>>203098888
>In a completely dark room, with a good tv, shit's still hard to see
Now imagine being me watching it a 480p DVD rip of it hunched over my computer in 2007.
I still liked the fights tho
>>
>>203098991
You must've seen it in 2008, it came out in theaters around Christmas. But yeah those old rips were pure sovl. I saw a shitty rip of Friday the 13th remake on my PSP but still had fun.
>>
>>203097781
>The thing about Alien vs. Predator is that the core of the brand is the idea of humans and Predators being allies, even friends.
Says who? In the games it was just about being able to fight Aliens and Predators and Humans.
>>
File: 1549001623196.jpg (61 KB, 1080x721)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>203098898
>>
File: machiko.jpg (82 KB, 480x1014)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>203097781
This is an angle of the movies. In the games and comics it was always a three way fight. Every now and then a Machiko would team up with a Predator, but it was rare. The movie just took that idea and ran with it like Freddy vs Jason made Jason the de-facto hero and ally to the humans.
>>
>>203098800
>How was it watered down? It was PG-13.
The thing is, I've seen all the R rated Resident Evil films that PWSA made, and they're not that much gorier than AvP. I think people overestimate the impact that the PG-13 rating had on the film's general choices. It certainly did impact them, you're right, but I think the degree is exaggerated.
>Okay, the only real gory part of Aliens was the chestburster scene, and they did that here, but I don't remember it being as brutal as that obligatory scene usually is.
They trimmed a few frames from the theatrical cut. They also trimmed the wire net scene where Colin Salmon gets chopped up. They also trimmed the scenes where the Predator is dissecting the Alien.
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2589
>but the Predator's schtick is that he skins people
That is a good point. Although I do think that flaying humans might sour the mood a little bit? They have to sell the idea that the human and Predator could be friends, and flaying the team alive has some tonal issues. I'm thinking back to the original AvP comic, and I don't remember humans being flayed in it. They weren't there to hunt humans. It was just incidental, and when one of the Predators goes rogue and starts hunting humans on purpose the leadership gets pissy at him. (This is in the comic.)
>Also they pulled out of saying "motherfucker" even though you can say the F-word in a PG-13 movie.
They'd already used up their PG-13 "fuck" with the line "I hope it kills every FUCKING one of them" about 3 minutes earlier. I do get your point, though. Still, they could have added a second fuck in the unrated cut, but chose not to, which makes me think they just didn't want to have her say motherfucker.

But I guess there's this issue with AvP where Alien and Predator are completely different franchises with completely different tones and AvP is trying to marry them.
>>
>>203099055
>Says who?
It's what the original comic which the 2004 film is a loose adaptation of, is about. The videogames went in a completely different direction, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it created a bit of a weird problem where people actually complain about an AvP film having a human protagonist that teams up with a Predator despite this being the entire premise of the AvP series.
>>
>>203099233
Again, this is a rare occurrence. The vast majority of the time they're different factions at war with each other, like in StarCraft/40k.
>>
>>203099156
The original 1989 comic follows the loose story beats of the 2004 film, except it's a bunch of ranchers on a western-style planet. The aliens get loose, the Predators start killing people, one of the Predators teams up with Machiko, he dies, but he marks her before he dies, and the story ends. Even plot beats like the Alien sneaking up behind the cloaked Predator that is about to kill Machiko/Lex comes from that comic.

The later comics go in a bunch of different directions, but the original, original AvP comic is the core of the brand, and the film being a (very loose) adaptation of it has cemented that.
>>
>>203099233
>2004 film is a loose adaptation of, is about.
Maybe they should have adapted the video game then and people would have liked it a lot more.
>>
File: Predator.jpg (168 KB, 1920x1038)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>203095141
>i only watch anything for the predator anyways. only predator and predator 2 are good
Extremely based, I love these guys
>>
>>203099287
>original AvP comic is the core of the brand, and the film being a (very loose) adaptation of it has cemented that.
what? if most of the comics DONT follow that pattern then you cant say its the core of the brand. what sort of stupid take is that? besides, the following sequel does not follow that at all. identities change with time, and AvP changed.
>>
>>203099277
>Again, this is a rare occurrence.
Creating endless spinoff comics doesn't change what the original AvP was about.
>>
>>203099385
If that's the angle you want to run with, that's fine with me. I like the 2004 movie but think it could've benefitted from an R-rating among other things.
>>
>>203099383
One problem is that nobody read the other AvP comics. To most people Alien vs. Predator consists of the 2004 film and there's also a shit sequel that got thrown into the same hole as Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Because the 2004 film, which is the face of the brand, is based on the 1989 comic, it basically made that storyline, or that story concept, the brand itself.

It's like how there's a whole bunch of Predator sequels including the one where the Predators are on the hunt for super-autism, but the core of the Predator brand remains the original movie with Arnold. None of the other shit stuck.
>>
>>203099408
I don't disagree that it could've benefited from an R rating, although I will point out that the unrated/extended cut exists and people have no excuse not to watch it.
>But it's not on streaming services!
Buy the Blu Ray then. Embrace physical media.
>>
>>203095019
considering it was made by two guys who only directed music videos, it was ok, but like others have said the color grading is shyte
>>
>>203099471
>To most people Alien vs. Predator consists of the
the video games. they even made a third one in 2010. to most people that shitty movie fucking sucked donkey dick and they want a thing like the much more beloved game series. thats the brand, thats the core. not that shitty movie.
>>
>>203099471
The Shane Black Predator was abysmal. AvP:R is better, Predators (2010) is better, hell, Prey is also much better.
>>
>>203099517
The games have sled into irrelevancy, yet to this day people continue to discuss the film.
>>
>>203098146
The AvP:R team were fanboys so they got the alien/predator elements right but fucked everything else up. It's hard to care about any of the human characters.
Oh and the lead actor went full schizo mode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Lewis#Death
>>
>>203099634
>The games have sled into irrelevancy,
no they havent. theyre still talked about, especially with that new interest in the series since romulus. more relevant than the movies of which only two were made. the games are still loved, the movies were never loved and rightfully hated by pretty much almost everyone except for retards like you.
>>
>>203095019
>envelope in the room

OP is utterly correct.
AVP was pg-13. How do you combine Alien, a franchise about parasitoid rape monsters, with Predator, a franchise about aliens that hunt humans for sport, and get something pg-13?
>>
>>203099644
It was head trauma. He had a motorcycle accident and it messed up his personality.
>>
>>203095809
>>203095982
I spent way too much time obsessing about this movie's production when it came out. Here's what I found:

The trailers all had proper color grading and no lighting issues. The director of photography Daniel Pearl even went on record to say he did not shoot the movie as dark as it finally appeared.

There were 2 prints of the movie in theatres: one with the trailer colors and one being significantly darker. This is why you had some audiences complain the movie was too dark and others say it's fine.

Now depending on the source, it was either a last minute decision by the suits to darken everything, or the company responsible for processing the film print fucked up and there was no time to re-do it before the movie released.

I can personally confirm having seen a Russian R3 rip of the movie and comparing it to the DVDrip, the lighting is indeed completely different - DVD being much darker.

I haven't seen the bluray yet so can't confirm if anything was fixed.
>>
>>203099707
>no they havent.
lol. Just looking at Steam player numbers it's clear that they're dead.
>>
File: 20240901_010120_HDR.jpg (311 KB, 2118x2824)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
Alright, let's start this shit. I'm going to make some hot chocolate.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (38 KB, 878x167)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>203099956
more players than concord and this is the bad game of the franchise.

https://youtu.be/7z60BlN5LMk?si=vATXT4Eub4YzNg0l

avp2 video explaining how to DL and install AvP2 that still gets 2.5k views for an install video of a 20 year old game. the game is still loved and cared about which is a hell lot more than your shitty movie.
>>
>>203100011
Is that a euphemism?
>>
>>203099517
Anyone remember Aliens vs. Predator for SNES? That soundtrack was dope.
https://youtu.be/N_oaE3oj1DU?si=6HaJ-IXeNbaZFxSm
>>
>>203100049
No, I am making hot chocolate.
>>
>>203100028
The shitty game of the franchise is Avp:R for the PSP but I still kind of liked it. You're about as OP as Wolf himself was in the movie.
>>
>>203100011
fucking kino enjoy
>>
>>203099846
>Now depending on the source, it was either a last minute decision by the suits to darken everything, or the company responsible for processing the film print fucked up and there was no time to re-do it before the movie released.
that's fucked
>>
>>203099563
if you watch the Shane Black one as a slapstick comedy movie it's great
>>
>>203100028
AvP 3 was good but the campaign was too short. They definitely had multiplayer in mind.
>>
>>203100303
>slapstick comedy
I kind of prefer this advertisement to the movie itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrRjt69lhU
>>
>>203099644
that's crazy because I was just watching Sons of Anarchy and remembered this guy in that
>>
>>203100343
this is basically the Shane Black one in a nutshell
>>
>>203100313
the campaigns were far too similar in 3. in 2 yeah its the same maps but you go through them differently, not so much in 3.
>>
>>203100400
Is AvP 3 the 2010 one? I enjoyed the multiplayer a ton on that one, the campaigns were too short but decent. I distinctly remember playing AvP back in the day listening to some weird remix of that shitty song TikTok by Kesha, weird times.
>>
>>203099644
>boned prime katy perry
I can't feel pity for this person. Surprised he went out at 28 though, seemed like he was older.
>>
>>203095375
this but i was in hs and the entire theater except for me and my friend was black. there was this one white guy who went with his kids and a stroller. one of the kids kept kicking this black guy's seat and he turned around saying 'ima beat the shit out of you'. the white guy said relax, then it got heated (No fight) and this black woman goes 'aww here we go again, ever time!' but the white guy just left with his kids.
>>
>>203100400
They were interconnected. I didn't mind that aspect, it's just that they were too short.
>>203100462
>Is AvP 3 the 2010 one?
Yes.
>>
>>203098358
Honestly the perfect film lies between the two. AVP has the better and more interesting story, but the violence is toothless and so neither the Aliens or Predators feel like a threat. The Aliens just drag people away, the Predators just do a quick slash and that's it. The humans should be utterly terrified and wanting to get out, and Lex should decide to try bargaining with the Predator out of desperation, not because it seems like a good idea.
>>
File: Capcom Dutch.png (906 KB, 475x744)
906 KB
906 KB PNG
>>203100052
You could play as Dutch in the arcade game
>>
>>203099156
>Every now and then a Machiko would team up with a Predator, but it was rare.
Are you forgetting the part where she was on their ship living with them for a few years?
>>
>>203100028
>he has to compare the game to fucking concord to make it look good
lmao
>>
File: s-l1200.jpg (419 KB, 1200x1200)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
>>203097883
Something about MK:A that can't be disputed is that it still had a bangin' soundtrack.
The original is superior in every way though.
>>
Yeah, the blacks are too black. Even in the sunny scenes there are deep shadows.
>>
>>203095542
THIS

I re-watched it recently and some parts I was literally watching for the first time, you had to have saw it at the cinema back in the day to properly experience it, shit was way too dark

>>203098438
Makes sense, the nuke and the helicopter crash were practically lifted from Resident Evil: Apocalypse, I thought they were copying the plot but with aliens instead of zombies, then I realized they were both Paul "I had Mila cloned" Anderson movies
>>
File: tater.jpg (209 KB, 1172x692)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>203100762
>blacks are too black
Many such cases unfortunately
>>
>>203099500
>I will point out that the unrated/extended cut exists and people have no excuse not to watch it.
The "unrated" cut is actually worse. All it does is add in more blood, but it's all done with shitty digital effects. The shot where the blood sprays across the snow after Scar kills the guy who fell down the tunnel, you can actually see the difference in colour. So it comes out as more comical than anything.
>>
>>203099233
Did they?
>>
They just need to plan a trilogy of movies where in each movie one of the species wins (aliens/predator/humans)
OR they make a movie like clue where there are different endings that play at different theaters and none of the endings are the canon ending.
Would be cool if they did that but also had different cuts of the movie depending on what ending you are getting. AVP is a gimmick premise, so why not make it a gimmick movie too? I personally would prefer a trilogy.
>>
>>203100982
Forgot to add that the biggest issue with both AVP movies is the humans end up winning with there being a stalemate between the Aliens and the Predators.
You can argue in the first one that the Predators came out on top but all the principal Predators got killed.
The studio doesn't have the balls to do it where the humans outright lose.
>>
File: p9384_p_v8_bk.jpg (362 KB, 960x1440)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
This piece of shit ruined the franchise before it started. All the Alien movies suck, except the first one
>>
>>203100617
Yeah, I knew that. Never played the arcade version myself.
Kind of cool that Dutch would team up with the Predators.
>>
>>203101245
It really annoyed me how this movie got all the EU comics and books to refer to the Aliens as bugs.
I didn't really realize how much Aliens reduced the Aliens.
>>
>>203101374
I remember the little comic that came with the action figures (they gave Bishop a metal plate on his head so you know he's a robot) and one of the Marines is wearing a t-shirt that says "I hate bugs," lol.
>>
>>203101516
My older brother had a xeno figure from Aliens and it had a button somewhere on it's body and it's body would fall apart if you pressed the button. I wanted it so bad growing up. It just sat on his shelf.
>>
>>203095019
>Alien Versus Predator: Requiem is a better movie than AVP. And significantly so.
it's the truth
>>203097781
i love me some paul ws anderson but dude was phoning it in with avp, he was clearly more committed to resident evil and thought he could balance two IPs at the same time but it's hard
>>203099233
this anon is correct but it's still a dumb idea to have humans and yautja team up just because aliens are hostile to everything
>>
>>203101585
I had that exact one. And another one where you could dip its head in water and squeeze and then you could have him spit acid.
>>
>>203099563
I'd rather watch Shane Black's The Predator than Predators or Prey. Those movies are fucking abysmal.
>>
>>203101635
i'd rather watch the autist over prey but predators is better than both while still being shit
>>
>>203101669
Hell no. Predators is worse than Prey. Like syfy original movie tier.
>>
>>203101629
Lucky. He did buy me my own Alien figure but it didn't shoot water or blow up. He got me a predator figure but it's head broke off shortly after I got it.
>>
File: s-l600.jpg (51 KB, 402x510)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>203101629
These were the toys he got me. I forgot they were a set.
>>
>>203101683
predators is trash at times but it has a stacked cast and doesn't do any girl power bullshit and that immediately puts it above prey
also the predator design in prey is poop
>>
>>203101769
>predator design in prey is poop
He is supposed to be a less evolved Predator.
That's why his technology sucks too.
We could have gotten a kino scene of him selecting his weaponry based on the technological level of the prey he was hunting, but the writers decided on the worst explanation.
>>
>>203101816
>but the writers decided on the worst explanation.
thank you for proving my point
modern writers cannot into logistics
>>
>>203095019
Truly the world's most contrarian opinion.
I applaud you.
>>
>>203101769
>predators is trash at times
The entire runtime. At the very least the predator in Prey is threatening and there's visceral action.
>>
>>203102146
>there's visceral action
The human action looks like it was choreographed by MCU stunt men.
>>
>>203095019
I liked AVP
AVPR was too fucking dark for me to tell what the fuck was going on. I haven't researched It In years now.
>>
>>203102224
Yes. And it's vastly inferior to the more grounded action of Predator and Predator 2.
But I don't remember a single action scene from "Predators", so Prey has a leg up there.
>>
>>203095019
sovl
>>
>>203102412
too bad we don't see it past the window break
>>
>>203102412
How do they get real zenomporphs and replacement actors that look identical to the dead ones?
>>
File: The CW (After Dark).jpg (271 KB, 1920x1080)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
Requiem is okay if you think the main thing missing from Aliens/Predator is a CW aesthetic
>>
>>203102653
This thread has been living rent free in my head for the last 3 hourse, and I realized I'd be completely ok with the teenybopper slasher flick tropes, if AVP:R were set in a Weyland Yutani colony.
I know that shit's extremely unlikely due to budget, sci-fi films are expensive.
>>
Halfway through and its kinda meh. How do you make Aliens invading a small town boring? I'm getting vibes from The Blob remake, but the character suck. Except for John Ortiz. Nobody told me he was in this.
>>
>>203097781
shut up paul, although i agree with you.
>>
>>203095542
in jidsney+ it's much brighter than in the dvd
>>
>>203100496
i will never unddrstand people who cant control their kids or take babies/toddlers into movie theaters/restaurants
>>
>>203101039
>No matter who wins, we lose
You’re absolutely right, i was just thinking this the other day.
>>
What a weird ending.
>you bastards killed the whole town
>we were just following orders, put down your weapons
>okay, help my brother, he's hurt
>triumphant music plays as our characters are safe
>lame Yutani reference/stinger
>>
>>203100496
first time in my life im gonna say this, but the nigger was in the right
>>
File: Whaling Station.webm (3.9 MB, 640x266)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB WEBM
Stylistically, AvP is probably the closest thing to The Thing since The Thing. Yet... it's like if The Thing were directed by Russell Mulcahy. There's a lot of those Mulcahy-style handheld tracking shots and also tracking shots that look like they were done by strapping a camera to a shopping trolley. It's very Razorback.
>>
>>203095019
well obviously
>>
>>203105500
It's weird that a vast majority of people have never seen this scene because they've only seen the theatrical cut. I wonder what version is Paul W.S. Anderson's preferred cut.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (223 KB, 914x1432)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>203105500
Well that's the thing, If you want to see the closest thing to The Thing since The Thing, watch The Thing (2011).
>>
>>203097770
>The fight scenes are incredible and visually stunning though.
it's embarassings wrestlemania shit
basically japanese godzilla or power ranger villains tier but without the excuse and humour
>>
File: bait.gif (1.5 MB, 498x259)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB GIF
>>203095019

It's not though.
Are you retarded?
>>
>>203105546
I was actually wondering why I don't remember that scene at all.
>>
>>203105565
>le humor
back to plebbit
>>
>>203097781
paulfag is worse than gadonfag, is that you Ever?
>>
>>203105595
Everyone loves Sarah Gadon though
>>
>>203105589
>t. retard
>>
File: Razorback Poster.png (440 KB, 496x755)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
>>203105500
>It's very Razorback.
The whaling station is literally called "Razorback Point", so, yea.

Also, does this look familiar?
https://youtu.be/05fvV6Sz0cs?si=hotInsdiIJ24BBfN&t=29
https://youtu.be/JuhfsnpmZQk?si=G_jjDuSTpBSFUV-V&t=67
>>
>>203105565
Nigga the whole point of the movie is to see the species fight. What did you expect, a reading of Noam Chomsky on linguistics?
>>
Paul should've quit after the second RE movie. Would've been interesting to see what else he could've cooked up but his output got worse over time.
>>
>>203105565
>basically japanese godzilla or power ranger villains tier but without the excuse and humour
Anon, the predator makes an Alien's inner jaw pop out and basically goes, "Boo!" in Lex's face because he thinks it's funny.
>>
File: GWCWrp3asAAPVda.jpg (92 KB, 1079x815)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>203105695
Paul was determined to stick with the Resident Evil franchise because he'd seen Mortal Kombat go to complete shit after one movie without him. He didn't actually direct 2, and supposedly he was more intimately involved on 3, hand-picking the director (Russell Mulcahy, whom he owed a lot to), and apparently he took over the movie in post-production because the movie Mulcahy delivered was pretty rough.

Then he was faced with the problem that the studio was gonna keep making cash grab, so he decided that he would make the sequels so nobody else could do it.

The problem that arose from this is that his non-RE stuff wasn't very successful despite stuff like Death Race being pretty good. So he sorta got weird and sloppy and started making stuff like Three Musketeers (which is... fun) and Pompeii (which is a clusterfuck).

Multiple people who have worked with him say the same thing. That he's very positive and very nice to work with/for, but he's basically cruising through life making movies with his wife now. He doesn't have that raw creative hunger anymore, and it shows, unfortunately.
>>
>>203105695
yea after the 2nd and 3rd movies mogged him so hard he should have died of shame
>>
File: GWCWrqSWwAAihxM.jpg (125 KB, 1080x870)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>203105760
Marrying Milla Jovovich in the late 2000s absolutely changed Paul as a person. He's probably a better person as a result, but when you look at Alien vs. Predator and you look at Monster Hunter which basically tells the same story as Alien vs. Predator, AvP is the far superior film. Granted, Monster Hunter is very pretty. But it doesn't have the sauce.

I am really, really, really, really hoping that In the Lost Lands is his return to form. It will be very depressing if it releases and he's learned nothing from his mistakes the past decade. I know you love Milla, Paul, but you need to take this shit seriously, okay?
>>
>>203105771
Paul was the one who saved RE3, though. That's what the editor claims, at least.
>When they came to me to do RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION, it wasn't Paul directing - it was Russell Mulcahy. They got an editor on to assemble it while they were shooting. I got a phone call through my agent that they were interested in me coming onto it. They'd finished shooting it, and the director had completed his director's cut. Then they brought me on. I completely re-cut it. It turned it into a pretty good movie. I think it did rather good business. That was my first real kind of work with Paul, because he took over in post.
https://letterboxd.com/ifccenter/story/resident-evil-retribution-an-interview-with/
He also talks about how the studio fucked up Retribution in post-production to his great anger, and how he wasn't allowed to return for The Final Chapter or Monster Hunter. He (Niven Howie) is back for In the Lost Lands, though, so I have some hope the editing will be good.
>>
>>203095019
>Aliens movie without Colonial Marines
It was doomed to fail.
>>
>>203105971
Why are Aliens fans so goddamn fixated on boring-ass Colonial Marines?
>>
Yeah AvP:R is too dark, but it;s also a complete dogshit teen slasher movie. It's legitimately awful and for lack of a better term, soulless.
>>
>>203099738
and yet weirdly enough it feels more mature than the sequel
>>
>>203105500
>>203105635
Nice to see literally anyone reference Razorback, I like that movie
>>
>>203101374
The main audience for those comics was boys boys aged 12-15, and that age group preferred Aliens and colonial marines. I also think it's just easier to adapt Aliens. The first film explains facehuggers and the basic alien life cycle, but not much else. Aliens fleshes out the creature a bit more (even if you don't like the changes, they add detail), it gives us clearer picture of Weyland-Yutani, and it creates an aesthetic for starships and military hardware that's ideal for comics. Also, comics tend to be action-oriented and end on big climactic battle scenes. Aliens is well suited to this as the setting provides massive bug hordes that can be gunned down.
>>
>>203102653
>a CW aesthetic
I hate how accurate this is.
>>
>>203095019
The bigger discussion to be had is the following

AVP1 is Alien vs Predator
But AVP2 is *Aliens* vs Predator
Even though I'm pretty sure the first one has more Aliens than the second one.
>>
>>203105500
>>203105546
>>203105572
Guess I'm going to have to watch the director's cut now.

>>203105635
>>203106119
Razorback is fucking dope.
>>
>>203108501
I wish Russell Mulcahy had released more movies. Like, good movies. From what I've heard, Mulcahy has a lot of vision, but he has trouble keeping films on the rails. He has released some genuinely shit movies with his good ones peppered intermittently. Not polarizing cult classics. I mean dogshit movies where you're like, "What the fuck happened to this guy?" I think it' s an example of how important good producers are.
>>
>>203095019
I honestly loved this movie...

I watched it twice

Everything about it is great. Badass pred, aliens, humans. Setting
Loved it all. The brutality of it as well. Avp1 is a little pg13 shitty snoozefest

Avp2 is for the big boys. And all this nonsense about it being dark? Idk... works on my machine..
>>
>>203105996
>marines
>boring
i hate this stupid contrarian take that aliens sucked. muh perfect organism dies to a spear and only wins because the crew acts retarded. aliens was a fun action movie that expanded the series in a cool way. nothing has come close since.
>>
>>203108888
When you slap space marines into Alien, the whole thing just turns into a farce.
>>
>>203096239
I'm thinking it was more like the movie looked cheap as fuck so they just figured it added production value
>>
File: GVRDjTzbYAA2n5Z.jpg (467 KB, 2048x1556)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
>>203108933
https://x.com/LiamODin/status/1825157567485546640
Someone says:
>According to Pearl [film's cinematographer], the decision to darken was actually his. He didn’t like how much you could see in previous Alien and Predator movies. He even darkened it further for the home video release. This decision is his; don’t think it’s gonna change, sadly.
Liam O'Donnell, VFX artist on the film says:
>That was definitely the reasoning behind the too dark grade but as someone who was there throughout all of filming and post that sounds like Daniel being magnanimous.
He also states:
>Found a disc of .CIN files of Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem reference images - sent to superfan
@ODSTSpartan
and here they are. This is a lot closer to how the film should have looked.
>UPDATE: connected with AVP:R cinematographer Daniel Pearl on instagram and sent him the CIN files. He said he’s going to try to get it regraded
>>
File: GVRD0KXbgAAbSjL.jpg (555 KB, 2048x1556)
555 KB
555 KB JPG
>>203109053
>>
>>203108921
Quite the opposite. All time great movie. Thank you Cameron.
>>
>>203102412
Fucking travesty we'll never get to see the fully lit version of this movie.
>>
File: 1580254777998-216595031.png (712 KB, 1129x635)
712 KB
712 KB PNG
>>203095019
>the envelope in the room
>>
File: GVRD0KXbgAAbSjL.jpg (1.95 MB, 2048x2302)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>203109086
Hope we get it at some point
>>
>>203095542
/thread
>>
>>203109053
>>UPDATE: connected with AVP:R cinematographer Daniel Pearl on instagram and sent him the CIN files. He said he’s going to try to get it regraded
Oh, based if true
>>
>It's a Christmas movie
nice
>>
>>203109999
Get it regraded and re-release it for Christmas
>>
>>203106341
>I also think it's just easier to adapt Aliens
You're right. Weird we haven't gotten another movie like Aliens though. Closest would probably be AVP2.
>>
The characters are the worst in either franchise. I don’t even remember them. Annoying kids who didn’t make the cut for a Jason movie.
>>
>>203103104
I think it could work if they made a loosely connected trilogy. Each movie would give each set of characters time to shine.
>>
>>203095019
Has there been any good horror crossovers? Freddy vs Jason and Aliens vs Predator were both trash fires.
>>
>>203105500
I would love to find an abandon place like this and explore it. Crazy the old ship is still floating!
>>
>>203110228
I’m not a fan of gay teen movies with a gross guy after them cutting them up, Mike Myers, Jason, all those guys those movies suck ass every one of them, but I thought Freddy vs Jason was aite.
And AVP1 is probably the next best Alien movie after the first two, so you’re wrong it’s good. AVP2 though is a shitty B-movie with a much lower budget and quality threshold than any other movie in the Predator or Alien franchise.
>>
>>203110311
AVP2 would have been great if they just followed Wolf the entire movie and ignored the human characters. WAY too much went into the human characters back story. Should have just made them a friendly community of mundane people.
>>
>>203110355
>AVP2 would have been great if they just followed Wolf the entire movie and ignored the human characters.
ahhh what could have been
>>
>>203110311
>And AVP1 is probably the next best Alien movie after the first two
Not even close. Alien 3 has its faults, but it's 10x better than AVP1. AVP1 is just useless fodder characters who are boring being killed off and a lame plot.
>>
File: IMG_5422.jpg (220 KB, 680x386)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>203110355
This sounds autistic but I probably would have enjoyed the movie just fine if the PredatorAlien was an original and thought out design and looked cool, but the costume they used was an old asset from some other Predator movie and they just put a fucking tail on the ass and dimly lit the thing so you can’t even see it. The predatoralien doesn’t even have a long alien head, it looks like fucking shit.
(By the way, one of the reasons the aliens have the long head is because that’s the apparatus for their mouth busting tongue thing. But the predatoralien has the tongue thing but just a regular predator head? That’s so gay and shitty fuck that movie, lazy and cheap)
>>
File: shock.png (251 KB, 553x360)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
>>203110473
>long head is because that’s the apparatus for their mouth busting tongue thing
I never knew this, it makes perfect sense too. How interesting!
With the info about the head I can see why the Predalien would annoy you.
>>
File: IMG_7807.jpg (586 KB, 3454x910)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
>>203110434
You’re responding to a huge Alienfag. So here’s my hot take:
>Alien3 > AVP1 > Alien > Aliens > Alien:R
all the other movies can suck my gigantic nuts, but from an “objective”/normie standpoint it would probably be Alien > Aliens > AVP1 > Alien3/Resurrection
not including AVP2 in any of this because it sucks
the David Saga is good for what it is but I wouldn’t lump that bullshit in with the original series
>>
>>203110566
IIRC there’s a scene in the first avp where the predator demonstrates this to the black chick with a dead alien head and makes the tongue snap out and scares the shit out of her.
>>
>>203110434
>lame plot
beat for beat the same exact move as Prometheus except it’s Predators instead of engineers and the arctic instead of another planet
>>
>>203110730

Disney has a complete AVP anime series
>>
File: IMG_7884.jpg (307 KB, 605x655)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>203110566
In the AVP game for PS3, they acknowledged this, probably an alienfag on the staff, and used the same design for the game but gave it the proper head.
If you ask me though the mouth pincers on the Predatoralien are enough, the dreads are too much. And I don’t even get why it has them, it’s not like when an alien assimilates a human it has hair, but the predator dreads are probably organs or something not just hair/skin so whatever.
>>
File: IMG_1339.jpg (391 KB, 663x587)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>203109053
>He didn’t like how much you could see in previous Alien and Predator movies.
It’s a fucking movie not a radio broadcast. What an idiot what does that even mean no wonder that movie sucked.
>>
>>203110696
Prometheus is shit too.
>>
>>203110572
Garbage taste
>>
>>203110434
alien 3 is snoozeville and you can’t even tell what those limeys are trying to say to each other while AVP is an action packed romp with one of the sexiest black chicks ever put on film
>>
>>203110434
What's lame about the plot? The setting especially the Pyramid is cool as shit, Weyland is a great character, and it's nicely paced.
>>
>>203110904
IIRC they are indeed a cross between hair and organs but it's been a while since I've read on Predator lore
>>
File: wolf-predator.jpg (96 KB, 1200x630)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>203111129
And for anyone wondering, they change their vision modes and other settings via the crab-leg appendages on their faces. Wolf was a veteran so some of his were missing.
>>
>>203111174
>they change their vision modes and other settings via the crab-leg appendages on their faces
didn’t realize this very kino
>>
>>203111174
what? in predator 2 he used the thing on his wrist and he did it with his fingers
>>
File: Parley_AWE.jpg (309 KB, 1334x667)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>203110946
some directors just like coloring the screen and don't give a shit about what looks good I find this is the cause more so than studios pushing for it
>>
>>203110904
>>203110566
>>203110473
i dont like this design. its just an alien with mandibles slapped on. the one from AvP2 the game was better.
>>
>>203111013
The Pryamid was basically just a shitty rip off from the movie Cube, and all the other characters beside Weyland were boring and shit.
>>
>>203110904
Maybe lose the dreadlocks and make the design subtly more different overall?
I think the dreads look better on the AVP2 design but I like the idea of the elongated skull on this one.
>>
>>203110886
I can't even make it into the first episode of the Terminator Anime. I am not saying it's bad, but the kind of action anime usually has does not fit what I like in Terminator or AVP.
>>
File: poc.jpg (469 KB, 1334x667)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
>>203111438
>>
>>203099846
The first Blu-ray is really dark and says unrated cut. It is not. It is the edited version.

The 2-movie collection has a bit of a lighter picture and is unrated!
>>
>2nd comfy AVP thread in the span of 48 hours
fuck it
yall are making me open this pandora's box (picrel)
all i remember is that the AVP DVD coverart was fucking kino in the finnish realease like 20yrs ago.
did it have a scene with a kinect-type gaming console in it?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>203095141
They need to tie Predator 2 into the Lethal Weapon universe.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (47 KB, 1280x720)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>203108847
I know this is bait, but goddamn. I'm the anon earlier who wanted to watch it. I thought I might like it. It was abysmal.

The setup of Wolf is cool and all, but the pacing fucking sucks, and yes, you can't see anything. Even if your brightness is turned up, there are shots where it's panning up, and literally all you see is black. It's fucking ridiculous.

There's a whole ensamble of characters and none of them get any resolution. You have the badass military chick with her daughter, you got the guy who wants to bang the blonde and she gets killed, but none of them have a conclusion. The movie just fucking ends suddenly, with them being okay with the military dudes. And the other characters who decided to listen to the military and go to the fake EVAC area... just, "whoops, lol, guess you're dead." I felt nothing for anybody, which wouldn't be too bad if it had great action sequences, but it didn't. Literally the only parts I liked is when the girl at the diner turns a corner and a rubbery-looking alien is coming through the door at her, and the bit where the blonde gets in her undies and is like "are you looking at me, or the clock?" and the clock shows up behind her to reference a previous line. Other than that, it's shit. I actually want to watch the director's cut of the first AVP now.

>>203098949
Even this was bullshit. I was on board for the movie being completely cold and cruel. I don't like kids getting killed in movies usually, but this didn't even bother me. They should have had the kid shrieking horribly as the chestburster comes out, maybe even crying for mommy, but instead he lets out a breath like he just farted. No balls when it pretends to have the biggest balls.

In other news, Aliens Total Conversion is scary as fuck.
>>
>>203098898
HOLY SHIT!!!!
>>
>>203113390
>he lets out a breath like he just farted
Imagining a kid farting while they die really bothers me.
They did that in the book Let The Right One In. The vampire remembers letting out a wet fart in fear when they got castrated as a kid and it always bothered me.
>>
>LE CANT SEE NOTHING!!11!
such a reddit critique of this movie, it's a solid horror movie and it's badass to see the predator and alien in a small town setting. Get fucked nerds
>>
>>203113390
Kek we tried to tell you
>>
>>203095019
My dad always liked this movie.

However, he pronounced it as "AVP: Rakeem", so there's that.
>>
>>203113171
Roger Murtaugh has a long lost twin in the same city and he never knew
>>
>>203114515
>retard has retarded taste
>>
>>203109934
is this dishonest cinematography?
>>
>>203095019
can't see shit jim
>>
>>203101245
you're a faggot, stop trying to push this you utter and complete faggot
>>
>>203114471
At least I got to watch it and report on it before the thread died. There's some solace in that, I guess. I'm actually surprised the thread is still up.
>>
File: file.png (48 KB, 797x376)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>203114970
Same, I went to bed here thinking it was a dead thread, can't believe it's still going
>>
>>203109053
>UPDATE: connected with AVP:R cinematographer Daniel Pearl on instagram and sent him the CIN files. He said he’s going to try to get it regraded
fucking based keep us updated
>>
>>203114970
>>203115046
because AvP is comfy kino
>>
The games are better
>>
>>203095019
I liked it when I was a retarded kid
>>
>>203096116
Was playing that last. Right. My nigga.
Got a laptop just for doom stuff.
>>
Just brighten it in VLC
>>
>>203115381
I'm getting on a Doom kick again because of the latest release. My laptop with GZDoom died long ago, so I set up ZDoom on an outdated iMac I got from work. I never played the Aliens mod so I gave it a go. It is legit scarier than Isolation.
>>
i like the queen in AvP along with the first alien predator fight where the alien wins. Havent watched Requiem yet but i will soon
>>
>>203115518
>Havent watched Requiem yet but i will soon
Don't, heed my warning. I was not long ago as ignorant as you.
>>
>>203115843
kek
>>
I like the designs in both AVP movies but neither movie is very good. AVPR is worse tho
>>
>>203095019
It had great potential but it was very poorly shot and edited. Remove the entire cliche storyline with the group of teenagers and it would have been far better.
>>
>>203116376
the alien designs were really good
>>
>>203099233
This shit was always fucking girlboss cringe, AVP lore is extremely weak.
>>
>>203095809
>People keep saying this but it looks fine from the trailers.
I remember walking out the theatre thinking it looked nothing like in the trailers and featurettes.
>>
>>203116376
I could honestly fight that and win
>>
File: IMG_7889.jpg (12 KB, 300x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>203112144
>one from AvP2 the game was better
looks like fucking dogshit tbqh
>>
>>203116709
damn that looks like shit
>>
>>203116709
I think it looks better than the movies where its just the Alien but with the predator mouth glued to the sides. I like that it kept the predator head shape but has those spikes and brown skin.
>>
>>203097781
>auteur filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson
Jesus H. Christ…
>>
>>203116811
it just doesn’t look like an alien, looks like a generic shitty resident evil enemy.
>>
>>203116846
>Paul W.S. Anderson
that's when you know you're about to watch some kino
>>
>>203116855
It still has that tail and it is a good thing it does not look like an alien. It should be different from species to species. Imagine if an alien had impregnated a rhino and all it had was a shitty horn slapped on its head to indicate it came from a rhino. Lazy design.
>>
>>203116944
You’re a retard an alien should still look like an alien regardless of what it assimilated. the dog alien from 3 was just on 4 legs, it didn’t have floppy ears and a wet nose. Moron.
>>
>>203117127
>it didn’t have floppy ears and a wet nose
Maybe it should have. There have certainly been more crazy designs in the toys and comics. Just putting on the predator mouth pieces is a far shitter design.
>>
>>203113390
>Even this was bullshit.
It's fine. Probably as good as you could reasonably expect for a depiction of the concept.
Personally I probably would have been offended if it were any more gruesome.
>>
>>203113390
the blonde chick was so hot in this, I came when she died
>>
>>203110572
how on earth could you pick Aliens 3, let alone AvP over the original
>>
>>203100313
I think all three AvP games have one problem in common: in single-player mode, the marine campaign is much better than the other two. Xeno and Predator campaigns are both about stealth, which rarely works well in first-person, and the xeno gameplay entails running on walls and ceilings, which just makes things fiddly and confusing.
>>
>>203101683
fuck off. predators is equal to both pred 1 and 2. Great continuation while retaining the core theme

it aint the movies fault you have shit taste
>>
File: 1725156055426999.jpg (70 KB, 1024x768)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>203118893
there is no problem. you simply confuse it with your personal preference
>for marine its slight horror with darkness/flares/motion sensors while yielding a large arsenal
>for pred its thermal vision terminator with medium exotic arsenal and very minor stealth
>for alien its nimble fast but squishy melee killer using verticals (climbing) to new gameplay

for me marines are always the most shit part of the games as you are slow and squishy while constantly fighting situational awareness (lamp/flare resources). I prefer the alien campaigns the most since its gameplay is the best for me

for story 1 and 3 are pretty light (1) or mediocre (3). Only exception is AvP2 main campaign and all three branches are solid there
>>
>>203095141
I used to think this but alien 1 is almost as aesthetic as 2001 space odyssey. If you can’t appreciate that then you’re crazy
>>
>>203119155
There is NOTHING memorable about Predators.
Except that the human characters come off as a bunch of cringe larpers.

My taste >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Extreme Power Gap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your taste
>>
>>203095542
Was this the scene where the predator performed a proctology exam on the alien?
>>
>>203120612
predators was shit lol for real
>>
>>203118893
The issue with Aliens is that the marines have bullshit tracking.
>>
>>203119359
adam driver is looking terrible these days
>>
>>203119391
im talking about avp movies. i love alien
>>
good thread
>>
File: 23423424.jpg (184 KB, 1280x720)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>203116376
>>
>>203124046
very good design
>>
>>203099156
I like the comic where the humans, predator, and queen alien team up to fight a mad scientist and his hybrid minions.
>>
>>203105996
Nah, it's predator fans that want the colonial marines. In the later AvP media the aliens end up being a third wheel while the marines and predator fight engineers or some oc villian that is controlling the aliens.
>>
>>203124046
Hate the huge necks on ADI's xenomorphs.
>>
File: 1723826928349929.jpg (298 KB, 1902x1124)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
Give me an Alien or AVP movie with a bunch of weird hybrid Xenos like the Kenner toys
>>
>>203100827
>All it does is add in more blood, but it's all done with shitty digital effects.
No it doesn't. It adds 8 minutes of additional scenes, including an entirely different intro sequence. It also uses a whole bunch of alternate angles for certain violent scenes.
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2589
>>
>>203095542
Looked fine on my LCD
Plebs can't appreciate nior SciFi
>>
>>203101607
I can't agree that AvP was being phoned in. Does the movie bear the hallmarks of being a studio movie? Yes. There's a clear difference in the general design of the film where it's very obvious that there's a shitload of Fox studio notes affecting practically every aspect of production (for better and for worse). It's like when you watch The Crow, Dark City, and I, Robot back to back. Same director for all three, but there's a sense of being a studio sellout with I, Robot even though the film is very good. But I don't mind that. As far as insane 90s/2000s Fox studio bullshit goes, AvP got off relatively light compared to say Alien 3 where the whole production was a disintegrating shitshow.

I would also point out that the entire reason the first Alien is a good movie was because of executive meddling from Fox people. I mean everything. You liked Ash? He was a studio addition. You liked Ripley? She was a studio mandate. You liked the Xenomorph? That was the studio bringing in Geiger. Like, basically Ash was the product of the studio reading Dan O'Bannon script and hiring another writer to do a rewrite without him. Dan O'Bannon freaks out, and the studio tells him to shut up and calm the fuck down. The end product is a masterpiece because so many people chipped in really good ideas. And because the people in charge of Fox genuinely wanted to make a good movie.
>>
>>203115518
The Alien Queen in AvP is frankly the best portrayal of the monster. I know people are super attached to Aliens, but they should be able to admin when another film does something better. The Queen feels genuinely dangerous in AvP. She's just a big bug in Aliens.
>>
>>203116846
PWSA is unequivocally an auteur. He is clearly the authorial voice behind his films. You watch any of his movies and you immediately know he was the one who made them. You watch Monster Hunter and you're like, "Yea, this was by the guy who made Alien vs. Predator."
https://youtu.be/gCMNBjCJ70c?si=Ecj-ntTfBAS4AonT
Oh, look, it's yet another corkscrew shot. God, he loves corkscrew shots.
>>
>the one autist who keeps sucking off paul w s anderson and pretends his slop is actually kino of the highest order
>>
>>203125426
the alien queen in avp was really good
>>
>>203126044
Signs you know you're about to experience slop kino
>Paul WS Anderson
>>
>>203125315
>You liked Ash? He was a studio addition.
He was Walter Hill's addition. A contracted writer, not a studio guy.
>You liked Ripley? She was a studio mandate.
Yes.
>You liked the Xenomorph? That was the studio bringing in Geiger.
Wrong. It was O'Bannon's idea to bring Giger in, as they worked together on Jodorowsky's canceled Dune film.
>>
>>203126138
I will say that it is so nice of him to keep employing his wife.
>>
>>203101635
Predators > Prey > The Predator
>>
>>203124046
Ribbed for her pleasure.
>>
>>203126234
her daughter is going to be an absolute killer when she turns 18
>>
>>203126263
bro you are senile, Prey was way better than Predators
>>
>>203125152
I was wanting to watch this after that dreck last night but it's only available to buy, for $20, while the original version you can rent. Lame.
>inb4 pirate

Also incidentally, the version of Requiem I watched was the unrated version. I don't know how much better or worse I fared.
>>
>>203095703
avp is better than aliens
requiem is worse than covenant

You're a retard congratulations
>>
>>203126234
Yeah except now she doesn't do nude scenes. Resident Evil: Afterlife was the first RE movie shot in 3D and also the first RE movie without nudity. We fucking missed out on naked 3D Milla.
>>
>>203125152
The fact that people dismiss the AvP extended cut as "just some CG blood" is baffling. The extended cut has critical plot details like what the Predators are doing. (The idea it's an initiation ritual for young predators isn't mentioned in the theatrical cut.)

Also, the extended cut has a lot of scenes that are way more atmospheric in than the theatrical cut versions. There's a sense of growing dread.

I obviously don't know which cut the director favors, but I can't see any reason to watch the PG-13 cut, and it sorta annoys me that it's the only version on streaming so it's the defacto default version now.
>>
>>203126775
The extended cut is on Fandango but you have to buy it for $20.
>>
>>203126561
she was so hot in latex
>>
>>203126775
is there a torrent of the extended version out there?
>>
>>203126844
For a skinny gal, she sure had an ass.
>>
>>203124986
Is one of those the sploding xeno?
The big one on that far right looks really cool.
>>
>>203126197
>A contracted writer, not a studio guy.
Hiring an outside writer is the definition of studio interference.
>>
>this thread
>>
>>203126382
Just pirate it. Requiem Unrated doesn't really benefit from the unrated stuff. But AvP has a lot more interesting character moments. Weyland's death is completely defanged in the PG-13 cut.
>>
>>203126926
Hill began rewriting the script before the project even went to Fox.
>>
>>203126883
I busted so many nutts to her
>>
>>203126903
Not him but the second one from the right is the exploding one. It's called the Scorpion Alien. The third one from the left is the one that shoots water. He's the Gorilla Alien. I forgot all about the snake one, I had that, too, along with the queen.
>>
>>203126775
Another plot point is that in the extended cut, Sebastian has had his funding pulled by his sponsor due to a lack of results, so that explains why he's on the expedition despite not really wanting to be there. It makes his death all the more tragic.
>>
>>203127033
You had quite the collection. I thought it was the one second from the right but I wasn't sure.
I remember when I got the AVP toys >>203101745
I thought the Alien was cool but it kind of grossed me out at the same time. Watching the Alien trilogy as a 5yo had an affect on me.
>>
>>203127126
that's the cut that has the whalers in the beginning?
>>
>>203126561
I was hoping that she'd do a nude sex scene in In the Lost Lands, but the MPAA rating doesn't mention sex or nudity. There's definitely sex of some kind in the film, just not explicit.
>>
>>203126830
I pulled out my Blu Ray copy, and you boot it up and it asks if you want theatrical or extended. Streaming has been such a goddamn downgrade.

The special edition of Aliens isn't available by default on streaming services, either. It's buried in an extras submenu. Which is better than what AvP got, but it means that newcomers watching Aliens today will have no idea Ripley has a daughter.
>>
>>203110904
>but the predator dreads are probably organs or something not just hair/skin so whatever.
Yep. Apparently they're like whiskers and aids the Preds' senses.
>>
>>203127200
>Aliens today will have no idea Ripley has a daughter.
oh wow yea I watched that cut then, because it mentions her daughter and everything. There's a cut that doesn't mention this?
>>
>>203126872
Most pirated copies will be extended.
https://www.1337x.to/torrent/5375365/AVP-Alien-Vs-Predator-2004-Unrated-1080p-BluRay-x264-RiPRG/
You can tell by the runtime. Theatrical is about 1:40 minutes. Extended is 1:48 minutes. Also, the extended cut opens in 1908 at the whaling station. I remember there was a THIRD cut that was DVD-only where they added the whaling station intro but no other changes.
>>
>>203127200
>it means that newcomers watching Aliens today will have no idea Ripley has a daughter.
That's okay, the theatrical version is superior.
>>
>>203127278
I'll have to watch it again then, I've only ever seen the theatrical version, I saw it in theaters in 04 they had all the free swag like trading cards and other stuff, it was neat.
>>
>>203126830
>>203126872
There's some movies where the extended cuts are garbage and I'm glad that the theatrical cut is the only one available to most people. This is not one of those cases.
>>
>>203126986
In that case, thanks for the clarification, anon.
>>
>>203126944
No one will ever know that I'm actually OP and I only have a seething hatred for AVP because when I was a teen my friend liked it while I hated it and I've been seething about this for over a decade, and my friend became a faggot trudeau supporting liberal queer so I think my point about AVP:R being the better movie is well established

good night thread. Btw Prometheus is dogshit. Covenant being better is too contrarian a take even for me though.
>>
>>203127368
No problem. O'Bannon took the script to Walter Hill's company called Brandywine, and Hill then took it to Fox.
>>
>>203127146
Yes.
>>203127126
I've always wondered about the pacing of Paul W.S. Anderson movies because it seems like every single PWSA movie has issues with characters who feel a bit underdeveloped and there's always the suspicion that a bunch of material maybe got left on the cutting room floor. And it's not like these are long movies. They often average around 1:40. My theory is that maybe he sacrifices character depth for better pacing/test screening scores. But I think this is the wrong mindset.
>>
>>203127240
Aliens Special Edition is 16 minutes longer.
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2558663
I do feel that SOME of the added scenes make the pacing drag a touch, but the theatrical cut removes too much character-wise.
>Don't be gone long, Ellen.
That line isn't in the theatrical cut. I don't understand why the streamers are so fixated on only having theatrical cuts of films. Is it because they're usually smaller and they can save on data? Why not ask what cut you want when you boot the film? Why isn't that the standard?
>>
>>203117351
>Maybe it should have.
You are a true fuckin' retard. You third world dickhead.
>>203118296
>how on earth could you pick Aliens 3, let alone AvP over the original
He's a retard.
>>
>>203127569
probably just to save money and "director/studio vision" blahblah, but yea you'd think in modern times with cheap storage and cheaper digital mediums it wouldn't be a big deal to add both
>>
>>203119155
>predators is equal to both pred 1 and 2.
You hyper-retard.
>>
File: I need a smoke.webm (3.93 MB, 700x292)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
>>203127575
Some people pick Resident Evil 3 over the original. Those people have good taste.
>>
>>203127695
>Resident Evil 3 over the original. Those people have good taste.
based
>>
I don't think the theatrical cut of AvP is bad. It's still a very enjoyable film. But it just gives me a sinking feeling that so many people are watching an inferior cut because they don't know any better.
>>
File: 1599554491621.jpg (56 KB, 750x750)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>spend 10 minutes thinking about alien and how i want to make a thread on /tv/ about it
>open /tv/
>this is the first thread
wow
>>
>>203127857
You know what makes me genuinely mad? There's an apparently much better extended cut of Resident Evil: Retribution sitting in the Screen Gems vaults that they've refused to release for over a decade.
>>
>>203127879
nice
>>
>>203127879
It's thread capped
it's over anon
dust to dust
>>
>>203126386
>avp is better than aliens
Jesus fuckin ' Christ the entire thread is filled with contrarians.
>>
>>203127575
>You are a true fuckin' retard. You third world dickhead.
Nah. Your design sucks worse than my design.
>lul just slap some mandibles on it!
Shit design.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.