[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1724375630571254.png (172 KB, 1000x854)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
https://suckless.org/rocks/
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://files.catbox.moe/u3pj3i.txt

GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/1175569
>>>/vg/lgg

IRC: #sqt on Rizon
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>102029780
>>
>>102054141
Should I use Qubes OS?
>>
>>102054155
Are you a secret agent or dissident?
>>
Will Mint ever get HDR?
>>
>>102054170
When GNOME gets it and they fork off of that version of Mutter again, or when they stop being so reliant on GNOME's bullshit and write their own compositor.
>>
This is interesting. I wasn't aware that UEFI had mechanisms for an operating system to push an update that revokes its trust of a Secure Boot binary.

SBAT seems like a mess. To the person asking about dual booting in the previous thread. If you were using Secure Boot then this may have been the source of your problems:
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/70348.html
>>
A week into trying Linux. Love it. Granted most of what I've learned is from instructions, every troubleshoot feels like I learn something more about the system and everything runs so much faster than windows. I'll plan on doing some Linux beginner challenges if those exist to help me learn more about how to naviage the system.
>>
can I run my own email server for 50 bucks a year of an rpi in my house? cloudfare has a free ddns
>>
>>102054347
You can use the site Linux Journey for some simple learning challenges.
>>
>>102054470
Maybe but probably not. You usually need to setup reverse DNS because of spam protections which is something your ISP or host has to do. If you don't own your own IP address then while you can setup the email server you can almost guarantee that nobody will accept email from it. Gmail will almost certainly drop all emails from it, etc.
>>
>>102054470
>>102054488
There's also the issue about ISPs blocking the port 25 to either or both directions. This varies though.
>reverse DNS
Assumed his reverse is something like "cable-1234.dhcp.some-isp" he could use that as the MX record for the dynDNS name.
But this is cumbersome in case his IP (and therefore the reverse host) changes all the time.
>>
>>102054170
>muh hdr that only works on less than 1% of stuff
nobody cares
>>
File: 45133592.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>102054479
Thank you
>>
discord on fedora 40 flatpak only works until a system restart and then it keeps crashing, until removed and reinstalled.
i tried a manual install and discord says the install is corrupt for some reason.
>>
>>102054550
>Using % as an argument
No shit that it doesn't help games made on 1980, holy shit what a dumb copium.
>>
>>102054583
learnlinuxTV on youtube is also okay for high level stuff. he gives you a gist but not much more.
youtube in general is good once you know the idea of what you want to do but don't know how.
manpages are really your friend but that takes some adjustment and some agency to know what you're looking for.
>>
>>102054663
oh i should mention that once you learn how to do something more than semi complicated, you should take notes.
libgen becomes your friend when you need a book on large systems like systemd, kvm, selinux, etc
>>
>>102054347
I just learn as I go and there are a few annoying things about Mint that I don't like at all
>OS doesn't auto-check the usbs on boot for some reason so I have to always unplug and replug my external
>When you suspend the OS sometimes it fucks up the resolution of my main screen to my smaller secondary screen, Only fix I've found is to suspend again
>OS doesn't check if headphones are plugged in either, so I have to unplug and replug it back in
Other than that, its okay, I'm thinking about moving to another OS probably in the next 5 or 10 years.
>>
>>102054141
I love Konqi. Please rub your ass against me.
>>
>>102054812
>OS doesn't auto-check the usbs on boot for some reason so I have to always unplug and replug my external
>>When you suspend the OS sometimes it fucks up the resolution of my main screen to my smaller secondary screen, Only fix I've found is to suspend again
>>OS doesn't check if headphones are plugged in either, so I have to unplug and replug it back in
great learning opportunities with solutions. for the first one you can start with udev, fstab, or system unit files for mounts.
>>
>>102054633
Consider armcord, discord is a mess anyways.
>>
>>102054550
NTA
Just because you don't care does not mean nobody does.
Why does it bother you so much what other people use? is your life that empty?
Anyways, do you even know where you are? this is a friendly thread, stop being so autistic spitting your pathetic attempt to create a pointless debate.
>>
>>102055067
Plus always the path of just using Discord in your browser.
>>
>>102055097
I nuke my browser far too often to keep discord on it. but yeah that could work for someone who uses their browser normally.
>>
>>102054141
Why is Konqi so cute? Katie too
Also, why are these threads called GNU/Linux?
It only adds confusion to newbies.
And for ideological reasons is pretty discriminatory against distros that do not ship GNU bits. on a small box I run Alpine, which is Linux without GNU.
>>
>>102054550
You say that as if it prevents you from using it to consume SDR content. It still works as a normal monitor but with the added benefit that you get better brightness and colour accuracy for content that does support it.

>Why would you not want that?
>>
>>102055140
Because if you leave the GNU out people talk about toasters and Android.

The thread is about GNU-like Linux systems.
>>
>>102055163
>people talk about toasters and Android.
Seems like a pretty pragmatic reason, thanks anon.
>>
>>102054170
>GNOME fork
>xorg
lol no
>>
>>102055163
Toaster technology has come a long way, especially the Japanese toast roomba that will obsessively and aggressively serve you toast in the morning and was breaking through people's doors.
>>
>>102055210
It will get it, it will just get it once they rebase Muffin (which is their fork of Mutter).

Cinnamon needs a real compositor to add features like this, something that's not held back by GNOME. They don't have the developers though. For all the money Linux Mint gets in donations they run off of a surprisingly thin skeleton crew.
>>
>>102055221
>breaking through people's doors.
pics or didnt happen
>>
>>102055231
The doors in question are the wooden paper doors.
>>
>>102055230
>>102055210
Cinnamon already has experimental Wayland support by the way. They got that precisely because it's a GNOME fork.
>>
Is there any way I can force Fedora/RHEL/CentOS installer to use GRUB & MBR instead of GRUB EFI on UEFI based machine?
>>
>>102055338
Yeah, you just need to boot the installer using CSM instead of the UEFI entry.
>>
>>102055338
Yes, boot it in MBR mode instead. Why would you want to do this though? If the system supports UEFI then use it.

Booting in legacy compatibility mode via CSM comes with its own limitations like Smart Access Memory not working because re-sizable bar is only supported properly in EFI (at least this is the case on my motherboard).
>>
>>102055379
>(at least this is the case on my motherboard).
It's not just you, this should be the case for everyone.
>>
>>102055361
>boot the installer using CSM instead of the UEFI entry
I don't have a UEFI <-> CSM switch in BIOS. So it's always tries to boot in EFI mode.

>>102055379
I have a junky old laptop with bad UEFI implementation, installing any Linux distro on EFI + GPT makes it unable to reboot and poweroff the machine (same goes for Windows too, actually). In legacy mode it's just werks (and for some inexplicable reason FreeBSD just werks in EFI mode, no questions asked).

So far I had success only with openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed, because it's installer has an option "Boot from Hard Drive", which allows me to boot in legacy mode and install OS on MBR partition table, so it can be done in theory.
>>
>>102055550
>I have a junky old laptop with bad UEFI implementation,
That's fair. A lot of old hardware had really bad UEFI with tons of bugs back when it first came out.

For newer hardware there's no real reason to disable it.
>>
>>102055550
Since CSM seems to be enabled, can't you just smash a key during boot to show up the boot manager and select the CSM/Legacy entry instead?
>>
>>102055581
>For newer hardware there's no real reason to disable it.
Yeah, I totally agree with that statement.

>>102055602
>can't you just smash a key during boot to show up the boot manager and select the CSM/Legacy entry instead
I can't because it doesn't know the difference. It always boots EFI first by default.
>>
>>102055089
>Why does it bother you so much what other people use?
Wayland schizos have been obsessing over it as the reason why everyone needs to switch to wayland and why xorg is currently deprecated even though 99% of people are still happily using xorg until wayland matures enough
>>
>>102055657
I understand that by default it does that, but im asking if you can select anything with your weird UEFI implementation.
Normally you should see two entries, one for UEFI and another for Legacy.
I am guessing you don't have the option to select.
>>
>>102055657
If you can't select which to boot then you could try unmounting the EFI variables. That might be enough to trick Fedora into thinking it's booted in BIOS mode and do a BIOS installation.

$ grep -F efi /proc/mounts
efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
$ sudo umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>>
>>102055699
It was a rethorical question...
You shouldn't let the opinions of others bother you either.
>>
>>102055699
>even though 99% of people are still happily using xorg until wayland matures enough
This is revisionism. Wayland is already the default in major distributions. You would have to go out of your way to use something else or you're doing a manual install (most aren't) or are using something besides GNOME and KDE (99% of people use one of these).
>>
>>102055758
This could work actually...
In any case, if it does not, you could try ventoy, it gives you a bunch of options that could be useful, like booting from a HDD just like FreeBSD.
Now by default Ventoy creates a USB that is bootable both in UEFI and Legacy, make sure you select MBR while creating the USB and delete the .efi binaries off the created USB, this should force your lappy to fallback to Legacy mode.
>>
>>102055790
Don't waste your time with him, look at his first post, he is angry, irrational, and insecure.
He acts defensive even though nobody was attacking him, and he gets offended if someone prefers something he does not use.
>>
>>102055790
>Wayland is already the default in major distributions
Wayland is the default in:
Every KDE distro (kde neon, kubuntu, fedora kde)
Every GNOME distro (ubuntu, fedora gnome)
and that's it.
>You would have to go out of your way to use something else or you're doing a manual install (most aren't) or are using something besides GNOME and KDE (99% of people use one of these).
>what is XFCE
Most people are still using XFCE if they're not using gnome or kde. There's plenty of distros that ship with xfce,
>>
>>102055790
>>102055880
Forgot to mention:
You are absolutely right, most users use Wayland. But he won't ever see it that way, he will keep his rhetoric and will claim misinformation, numbers, arguments whatever he can pass a "rational", so he can feed himself his position and feel good/proud, ironically his actions are completely emotional.
He needs this, because otherwise his empty life would shatter in the already non-existent self-worth.
We are talking about someone whose self-steem is so minuscule that actually needs the arguments/debates he creates in order to keep going in his daily life.
>>
>>102055960
And mint is one of the most popular distros which has no wayland by default until cinnamon, xfce and mate are ready enough for wayland.
>>
>>102055790
And Windows is the default on most computers. Google Chrome is the default browser for most people. Your point?
>>
>>102055972
most users dont use wayland yet
stop stirring shit up while you also accuse other people of stirring shit up
>>
>>102054470
For receiving only, yes.
>>
Do I need to run systemctl daemon-reload after I edit /etc/fstab?
>>
>>102056252
Do you even realise how big of a user base all of the GNOME and KDE distros have?

Ubuntu and Fedora (and its offshoots like CentOS and RHEL) are massive.

Then you have distributions like ChromeOS and SteamOS which also use Wayland by default. Chromebooks are stupidly popular in education, all of them are using Wayland and they probably don't even realise it. All of the gamers that bought Steam Decks are using Wayland too, again they probably don't even realise it.

It's hear and it's mature enough to be in real products like Chromebooks and Steam Decks.
>>
>>102056329
nta but the Steam Deck doesn't use Wayland at all.
>>
>>102056339
You're wrong. Both KWin (desktop mode) and Gamescope use Wayland.
>>
>>102056369
I own a Steam Deck. It doesn't.
>>
>>102056380
How can you own one yet be so misinformed?
>>
>>102056383
>>102056380
https://indico.freedesktop.org/event/4/contributions/202/attachments/127/189/Rainbow%20Frogs%20HDR%20and%20Color%20Management%20in%20Gamescope-1.pdf
>>
>>102056406
He's saying that desktop mode kwin does not use wayland
>>
>>102056480
Yeah. I don't know why they insist when they can just check the system info in the settings.
>>
>>102056480
>>102056491
You're right, my bad. I forgot they still ship Plasma 5.
>>
File: file.png (30 KB, 600x440)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
I need to bulk rename audio files using the metadata inside. I tried the built-in renamer in my DE but it doesn't look like you can do anything fancy with it. Can you recommend an alternative tool?
>%tracknumber% %title%.%ext%
>>
>>102056323
Technically no, but you're going to be running a command (mount -a) to apply the changes either way.
>>
>>102056501
I wonder why they haven't moved to Plasma 6 yet.
>>
>>102056513
Probably waiting for a major SteamOS update. It doesn't make sense to just push a giant desktop update on its own.
>>
>>102056513
They should switch to COSMIC once it goes stable.
>>
>>102056329
Mint exists and is one of the most popular distros and arguably has more users than all the gnome and kde distros
Or what about xubuntu or any of the other xfce-based distros?
The endeavouros livecd is xfce and you're given the option of whatever desktop environment you want. Manjaro, debian, ubuntu and fedora all give you the option to choose which desktop you want out of the box.
People don't really use rhel-based(which is different from fedora-based) as a desktop.
Gnome is famous for being disliked, so how can there be a big user base if many people vocally dislike it? There might be more people that use hyprland than people who use gnome.
>>
>>102056537
That will take years and Valve has contacts with KDE. They don't have anyone they can contract from System76 to work on the features they care about.
>>
>>102056537
>They should switch to the desktop that isnt even out of alpha yet and doesnt know yet how stable the stable version will be.
I can't understand this obsession shills have with cosmic.
>>
>>102056513
They might be waiting for more bugs to be ironed out first. They might not think it's reliably stable enough yet.
>>
has anyone tried out kde in a qemu/kvm libvirt vm with the built in 3d gpu accel?(not gpu passthrough)
how performant is it?
>>
>>102054141
high quality OP
>>
is there such a thing as "fair network" scheduling? I am downloading GiBs of shit at near max speed, but it's slowing to a crawl everywhere else. I know for most OSes, long lived, high CPU using shit usually gets de-prioritized rapidly. I'm wondering how or why the same isn't done for networking.
>>
>>102056563
because they're tired of the KDE bugfest or the quirky featureless GNOME.
hacking on COSMIC is also 1000x easier than both and so far what I've seen it has a brighter future than both.
>>
>>102056513
Gamescope (when it doesn't run standalone) can run on top of xorg, but it is unstable on top of wayland.
And the applications running inside of gamescope communicate with it via xwayland.

They probably have higher goals in mind and won't update to Plasma 6 until their whole software stack is ready for dropping x11.
Development is very active.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/gamescope/commits/master/
>>
>>102056751
>bugfest
The SteamOS is very stable, more stable than Windows or Mac.
Don't fall for idiotic memes.
>>
>>102056777
>The SteamOS is very stable
ok good for steamos. I don't use botnet distros.
>>
>>102056751
The only reason why the are on KDE is because it is easier to develop there and you won't get cockblocked by a different company. They also own their bugs and don't sell them as features.

Think about it. They made a handheld device, and they deliberately DON'T choose the DEs that have tablet UIs.
>>
>>102056737
I just realized, having Linux throttle back TCP connections would probably taunt the happy fun TCP Congestion Control.
>>
>>102056787
then why do you try to tell the "botnet distro" to switch to an unstable alpha of COSMIC?
>>
>>102056795
they work on KDE because they're dumb. It's not that shocking. KDE is a mid DE compared to GNOME with the only positives is gaymer features. Can't wait for COSMIC to slay both.
>>
>>102056777
SteamOS only uses KDE in desktop mode, which most users don't use.
>>
>>102056819
>that huge company building a consumer device is DUMB!
Worked out great for them.
Never heard anything bad about the SteamOS desktop mode. I saw people running it as their daily driver, they don't even know what KDE is but use it and like it.
Meanwhile when they tried to use GNOME, it was a failure.
>>
>>102056819
ok footfag
>>
>>102056847
t. Plasma has crashed, would you like to send a report?
>>
>>102056861
Didn't know that there is a process called Plasma.
Can you tell me more about all those problems that i, and millions of SteamOS users, apparently experience without knowing it?
>>
So I can't seem to stop my system from auto-switching my audio device when I turn off a monitor. I'm using Pop and it's solid except for this. Any idea how to force it to not auto-switch audio devices?
>>
>>102056837
There are 3 million sold Steam Decks out there.
If even only 10% of them use Desktop Mode occasionally, and it would be unstable, you would find a flood of people complaining about it on the internet.
>>
>>102056751
You know there's more desktops than just KDE and GNOME right? You're acting like that GNOME dev who kept saying "i have no idea what an XFCE is or does".
>>
i keep getting disconnected from my wifi, i'm using a usb dongle to connect and dmesg shows that it always disconnects after setting power to the advertised value of the AP, sometimes it would disconnect for good and not find any networks at all and getting an error value of -71

if someone has any ideas that'd be great, but i'm also trying to fix this on my own, i installed linux-docs because someone on the forums said that's where usb error codes are listed but there are no error codes listed in usbmon (and even if they were they'd be listed with their name rather than code)
where can i find a list of usb error codes?
>>
>>102056999
Do you have a secondary device? It might be the dongle itself. Test it via a laptop or something to double-check.
>>
>>102056888
If it uses pipewire, you are out of luck.
I went to upstream to ask them how to configure an auto-switch to the microphone on my headset when i plug it in, and the only answer i got was
>it is supposed to work out of the box, so no such configurations exist, fill a bug
And i filled a bug and it never got a reply.

Pipewire is "just works" software that is still in an unstable phase, where configuration is badly documented and rapidly changing.

If it "just work", it is awesome. If you need to change behavior, it isn't.
>>
>>102056999
> -71
usb error?
I got -71 on broken ports or when connecting a phone with a broken cable. And sometimes it means nothing and the device is negotiating a different mode.

Your issue might be a hardware issue.
>>
>>102055718
>Normally you should see two entries, one for UEFI and another for Legacy.
I know. In my case there's only one entry and when it boots it automaticaly boots EFI.

>>102055855
You know what? Your suggestion about Ventoy is actually worked. For 13 years this piece of shite was a major pain in the ass every time I wanted to install another OS. Thank you so much. Now I'm going to experiment with things a bit, try different distros, creating a BIOS/GPT bootable system (didn't work with openSUSE though), etc.

If only I knew what makes FreeBSD working perfectly fine in EFI mode.

>>102055758
I'm going to try that too, it would be nice to have a way to do this thing not depending on some tool that may or may not be around for the next decade, but, pardon me for a dumb question, when do you unmount? After booting the installer, then going to command line?
>>
>>102056987
>there's more desktops than just KDE and GNOME
Not anymore since they don't support Wayland.
>>
>>102055855
>>102057110
Ventoy is malware.
https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/issues/2795
>>
>>102057116
>muh wayland
There's nothing wrong with xorg it's still perfectly usable. All of the other desktops are slowly working on wayland support with their small one or two man team.
>>
>>102057138
The more paranoid of people out there think those binary blobs contain malware for whatever reason because of the xz shit from months ago, so really it's kinda racist cause the original dev is chinese. At this point people just like to complain more then actually do anything.
>>
>>102057138
It's malware in the same way as blobs in your kernel are malware. Have you already switched to Linux-libre?
>>
I hate Wayland.
Screencast suddenly doesn't work.
Unless I try to troubleshoot it and suddenly it works. I exit session. Start session. It works. I reboot - it doesn't.
It feels wayland is too stateful. Or systemd is too stateful.
I tried to boot plasma x11, but it no longer works for some reason. I tried DWM - it works.
I feel like Wayland is a fucking teenager with harmons problems that hasn't matured enough to be enjoyable to talk with
>>
>>102057204
Well, they're asking reasonable questions, maybe in a bit of unreasonable way.
>>
>>102057138
>he posted it again
do you even know what the issue they're talking about is?
how do you think a theoretical ventoy malware would even worK? They would somehow have to be able to inject a payload into the iso in a way that it would be copied over through the install, thats not exactly as easy as what xz did.
>>
File: 1721443774244155.jpg (194 KB, 810x810)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>102057138
The moment the guy that actually maintains the PKGBUILD on the AUR for Ventoy spoke up to say that it's not malware (while calling out the FUD and racism) should've shut that discussion down honestly. Hell he even offered the main dev to help build a more modern build system for Ventoy as well (as the way it builds currently is like it's made of shell scripts, sticks and glue.)
>>
>>102056737
# Add Cake qdisc to interface 
tc qdisc replace dev eth0 root cake bandwidth 1gbit eth0
# View statistics
tc -s qdisc show dev eth0

Enjoy. This is only for outbound traffic though. If you want to shape download then you have to mirror the interface which is a bit of a hack:
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/#inbound-configuration-under-linux
>>
>>102057110
My guess would be that the uefi in your bios implemenation is hardcoded to only look for EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
>>
>>102057465
>only look for EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
>only
There's more "default locations"? For x64 that is.
>>
File: Orb.jpg (3.18 MB, 3580x2159)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>>102054141
I built a program for my raspberry pi which fetches data from a server and throws it on a big screen in Flutter+dart and now I want that program to autostart and ALWAYS run, meaning it restarts if it crashes. I usually do this with systemd, but it's not working this time due to the program not finding the display (first time doing this with Flutter instead of just dart).
So I tried to at least make it autostart on boot with crontabs, rc.local and few other esoteric solutions, nothing works. The Program works and launches when started manually though. Anyways, this is the error in the journalctl I get:
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi programName[352200]: cannot open display: 
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: programName.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: programName.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: programName.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: Stopped programName.service - programName.
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: programName.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: programName.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 24 14:56:05 raspi systemd[1]: Failed to start programName.service - programName.

"cannot open display:", I assume it cannot connect to the XServer, but nothing I tried fixes it. I also compiled the program for my desktop machine to test if it's a raspberry problem, it isn't.
What am I missing? Below is my current .service file, tried removing the env-vars, adding user, and just about everything on the internet:
[Unit]
Description=programName
After=network.target
After=display-manager.service

[Service]
Environment=XAUTHORITY=home/myUser/.Xauthority
Environment=XDG_RUNDTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
Environment=Display=:0
ExecStart=/home/program/programName
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
>>
>>102057204
>it's kinda racist
this fucking cracks me up every time. People don't like a decision the author made and the author is Chinese so it's racist. lmao
>>
>>102057540
You're supposed to be able to put any folder and efi with whichever name you want but some implementations are broken and dont allow that
Like mine has a EFI/grub/grubx64.efi for grub on the efi partition
>>
>>102057636
Not like that means anything anyway. Racist is just a word people use to gain power over others
>>
>>102057318
>They would somehow have to be able to inject a payload into the iso in a way that it would be copied over through the install
This would be fairly easy to do if you wanted to taget e.g W11 install media. Just because you don't know how doesn't mean it's hard.
>as easy as what xz did
xz was a years long campaign
>>
>>102057661
Are you talking about the CSV file thing that makes (some) UEFIs to create a matching entry? Debian Linux for example puts one in there, hence "debian" and "Debian" boot entries as someone typo'd something.
>>
>>102057565
Is your service running as a user?
I believe the problem is that the systemd service doesnt have all the env variables that it needs compared to running it from the desktop
You might want to not enable the systemd service and have your desktop run a command to manually start the service on autostart along with setting it as a user service if you havent done that already
You might also need graphical-session.target in the After= section
>>
>>102057636
>Major premise: people don't like a decision the author made
>Minor premise: the author is Chinese
Therefore your conclusion is..? In any way, this doesn't look like a correctly constructed syllogism. Like at all.
>>
>>102057699
I don't know what its called, but we seem to be talking about the same thing.
>>
File: clear CMOS pins.jpg (358 KB, 700x400)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>102057734
https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/fallback.html
You can craft a comma-separated-values (CSV) file that tells your UEFI to create a boot entry. Sometimes motherboards clear the boot entries when you clear the CMOS and this is kind of nasty as it leaves you with no boot entries.
Therefore it's handy they come back alive thru that mechanism.
>>
>>102057665
>This would be fairly easy to do if you wanted to taget e.g W11 install media. Just because you don't know how doesn't mean it's hard.
Then explain because i don't use windows.
Ventoy would need to be able to inject malware into an iso correctly while also having windows properly copy it over to the new os and also being enabled to run on startup all done through grub
>>
>>102057777
>https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/fallback.html
I didn't really know this was a thing, on most modern uefi implementations the bios seems to be smart enough to recognize all the efi entries on an efi partition without needing to directly modify efivars by just using folders and names without needing to make any csv file
>>
>>102057797
>smart enough to recognize all the efi entries
You zoomies put way too much belief in these toasters.
I'd keep my backup bootable fix-disk at hand for the foreseeable future.
>>
Good job KDE. They actually fixed the brightness bug I was seeing where there was only one control that applied globally to all display.
>>
>>102057778
>Then explain because i don't use windows
W11 install media was an example of the lowest effort biggest payoff target. The fundamental techniques would be the same for any OS. The speculation is that there may be malicious code in the tool that bootstraps your OS installer if there is then it can do whatever the fuck it wants.
> modify the installer to do something
Yes malware alters the behavior of software that's almost it's entire definition.
>>
>>102057565
>
Environment=Display=:0

Environment=DISPLAY=:0

Case-sensitive. And you should probably be running that as a user service, not a system service (unless you need the privileges).
>>
>>102057703
>Is your service running as a user?
Tried both, once with sudo and once without but also adding the --user flag.
>I believe the problem is that the systemd service doesnt have all the env variables that it needs compared to running it from the desktop
So I'll need to check for which variables my program needs?
>You might want to not enable the systemd service and have your desktop run a command to manually start the service on autostart along with setting it as a user service if you havent done that already
I tried doing that, but I was flying blind (no idea what exactly to do or how to set it up that way). Could you give me a hint?
>You might also need graphical-session.target in the After= section
Had that before the display-manager, chatGPT said I should try display-manager because graphical-session might not be a target on the raspberry pi.

>>102057959
>Case-sensitive
A fuck. I'll try right away and let you know, thanks Anon!
>And you should probably be running that as a user service, not a system service (unless you need the privileges).
Already tried doing so, see my reply to the other Anon above.
>>
Why is Fedora so hated on /g/?
>>
>>102056845
>I saw people running it as their daily driver
i miss having a laptop but the steam deck is so comfy desu
>>
>>102058045
Red Hat were acquired by IBM, would be my guess.
>>
>>102058067
At least Captain Sisko liked it. The U.S.S. Defiant probably runs on Fedora.
>>
>>102057954
It's not that simple
The only "malicious binary blobs" found were three tools used for unlocking disks on linux and bsd
Every installer also doesnt work the same
The bootloader grub isnt powerful enough to inject any payload on its own into an iso and then be able to find the squashfs within that iso
Until you provide an example then nothing you're saying holds any weight
>>
>>102058003
>So I'll need to check for which variables my program needs?
Yes but it would be easier to just let systemd do all the work as a user process within the desktop
>Could you give me a hint?
I don't know which desktop you're using, but making a .desktop file and putting it in either .config/autostart/ or /etc/xdg/autostart/ should make it load on autostart
the command you would need to put in the exec line would just be
systemctl --user start [service name here]

I wouldnt suggest to rely on chatgpt, at least use regular search engine tools
>>
File: file.png (11 KB, 710x116)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
VirtualBox keeps corrupting the whole disk on debian distros.
Only on virtualbox, only on debian and debian-based. It works fine for a random amount of time before the DE stops working and I have to go tty.
I feel like im playing on time attack mode. Keeps me on edge.
>>
>>102057565
>XAUTHORITY=home/myUser/.Xauthority
You miss a slash here
>>
>>102058259
>systemctl --user start [service name here]
That's what I was doing lmao. Thanks
>I wouldnt suggest to rely on chatgpt, at least use regular search engine tools
I use it as a last resort because google has become maximum useless. If even chatGPT cannot solve my issue, I come to the palace of the /g/ods.
>>102058312
Thanks, just double checked.

>>102057959
It just worked once and now after I rebooted, it doesn't work anymore. This is the new error message:
cannot open display: :0

Man.
>>
>>102058371
Manually restarted the service. It just werked. Hmm. I think I'll add a delay I guess.
>>
>>102058391
Maybe you should make the XSession run
systemctl restart SERVICE
>>
>>102058417
>>102058391
I think Systemd also has a command to import the current environment so you could run that from the XSession too which saves you from needing to hardcode XAUTHORITY and XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, etc
>>
I`m on my laptop with Mint live USB and it is much better than its original Win7 (now not booting). Can I install it even if it is not mounting the hard disk while live?
>>
>>102057703
>>102057959
>>102058312
>>102058391
>>102058417
>>102058447
Added a
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 30
and now it works. Thanks lads!
>>
>>102057050
Fuck me then I guess :/. I know when I had pulseaudio I could edit the config file
>>
Script to sync AMDGPU performance level with power-profiles-daemon (needs to be ran as root):
#!/usr/bin/python3

import sys
from gi.repository import Gio, GLib, GObject

amdgpu = None
proxy = None
loop = None

def on_changed_props(proxy, changed_props, invalidated_props):
amdgpu = open("/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level", "w")
profile = changed_props['ActiveProfile']
print(profile)
amdgpu_profile = "auto"
if profile == "performance":
amdgpu_profile = "high"
elif profile == "power-saver":
amdgpu_profile = "low"
amdgpu.write(amdgpu_profile)
amdgpu.close()

try:
loop = GLib.MainLoop()
bus = Gio.bus_get_sync(Gio.BusType.SYSTEM, None)
proxy = Gio.DBusProxy.new_sync(bus, Gio.DBusProxyFlags.NONE, None,
'net.hadess.PowerProfiles',
'/net/hadess/PowerProfiles',
'net.hadess.PowerProfiles', None)
proxy.connect('g-properties-changed', on_changed_props)
loop.run()
except KeyboardInterrupt:
if amdgpu is not None:
amdgpu.close()
if loop is not None:
loop.quit()

I know about gamemode but that wasn't working for me for some reason:
https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode/issues/351
>>
>>102054141
Why should i use ZorinOS over any other distro?
>>
>>102056503
Kid3
>>
>>102058545
If that works then you have your service dependencies set incorrectly.
Try
WantedBy=graphical.target
>>
>>102058802
You shouldn't.
>>
How do I get my browser and all websites I visit to use a set font I've picked? I'm on LM
>>
>>102058949
Firefox has a setting to force your chosen font for all websites, completely overriding whatever the site sets even if it breaks styling and layout, etc.
>>
>>102058802
If you like it then use it but I don't see what it offers over the likes of Mint, PopOS etc.
>>
>>102059002
Does librewolf do the same? I've been using brave for a year now.
>>
>>102058737
>needs to be ran as root
:(
>>
>>102059119
Yes. Librewolf is literally a meme fork of Firefox with a different name and logo and some aggressive "hardening" settings that can break websites. Besides that it's still Firefox.
>>
>>102055109
Keep a secondary browser
I myself have 4 different browsers:
Librewolf, Basilisk, Seamonkey and then just normal Firefox with uBlock.
>>
>>102059193
Can't write to the sysfs without it unfortunately. I could probably create a GPU group and use Udev to chown it but that's more work.

Maybe I should unironically rewrite it in Rust. I bet there's some nice DBus crates and then I can make an AppArmor profile for it. You can't write AppArmor or SELinux profiles for scripts unfortunately because you'd be restricting the interpreter for all scripts and not just your script. This is why Google recommends avoiding scripts altogether.
>>
File: 41241.png (28 KB, 548x380)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
how do i select a specific .exe file to block? it's for a game's protection that needs blocked for modding.
the "application" menu only has a few pre-select things. it doesnt let me browse and decide what file i want to block.
>>
>>102059305
You can't block executables, only network protocols and IP+port src/destination.

If you want to block network access altogether then run it in a sandbox with something like Bubblewrap.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Bubblewrap
>>
File: 90a.png (1.07 MB, 900x900)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>102059233
Alright thank you, do you think Firefox is better than Brave?
>>
>>102059408
I think it's run by a corporation that's not an advertisement company or trying to sell you crypto scams.

I'd rather use vanilla Chromium than Brave.
>>
can flatpak keep track of program data, like files in ~/.config and ~/.local/share, and erase them upon request or when uninstalling, like android does?
>>
Tried gnome again and I still hate it
>>
>>102059473
They're all in ~/.var/app so you can wipeout the entire app folder if you want and it'll recreate everything from scratch.
>>
ext4 vs XFS vs btrfs for a run-of-the-mill desktop? Inb4: doesn't really matter.
>>
>>102059510
BTRFS is the only one that supports snapshots if you want some sort of "system restore" functionality.
>>
>>102059233
>meme fork
It has better defaults than firefox
It has none of the spyware or telemetry turned on that firefox has
None of its random forced gimmick features are installed either
It's not just a meme fork. It should be the actual defaults on firefox but the troon devs refuse to care because its more important for them to bend over for google money and pretend to care about burgerland politics
>>
>>102059573
Telemetry is optional and if you want to break websites with aggressive "hardening" then you can apply those very same settings yourself (hopefully with an understanding of what they actually do).
>>
>>102057110
>You know what? Your suggestion about Ventoy is actually worked.
Niiice
I'm glad, now you can install whatever on legacy, good luck anon.
>>
File: 1724515033740.jpg (165 KB, 1268x1226)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
How future proof do you think is Linux Mint Debian Edition at the moment? I need something that works with good multimonitor support OOB, Cinnamon is my favorite DE but I feel rather concerned about Clem's notice on trying to keep GTK3 patched on their own to suit their needs. Doesn't feel something a few people can do.
The only other DE i liked was Plasma, which is practically an afterthought on Debian. Gnome is the best supported DE on Debian but i hate everything about it, specially its retarded puppet devs, but also how useless and coupled their entire suite of apps is.
>>
>>102059347
the game is online so i cant block everything, i just want to block the anticheat.
and no, im not using cheats. it has a small modding scene.
>>
>>102059770
Replace the anti cheat executable with a wrapper.
>>
>>102059573
Is linux mint a troon distro?
>>
My logitech G305 mouse is dying.
What are some good wireless gaming mouse brands that have good linux support?
The logitech gaming software is windows only.
>>
>>102059662
Well, not "everything", I still can't install Windows from USB drive (that's another quirk of this laptop: you need to copy Windows installation files on your hard drive and make it bootable, so you can install from one hard drive partition to another; or you can just use CD-ROM, it "just werks"), but it doesn't really matter now :-) Thanks again.
>>
>>102059927
Define "troon distro".
>>
>>102060000
troon retards who refuse to support KDE or larp as women. aka linux mint?
>>
>>102059604
Telemetry is optional but enabled by default
>you can apply those very same settings yourself
Why does the average user have to do all of that every time instead of having sane defaults?
>>102059927
What does that have to do with firefox and librewolf?
>>
what's with the drama surrounding Bcachefs? is it really that unstable? linus regrets ever merging it.
>>
>>102060295
>>
everything, is linux mint a troon distro or not?
>>
>>102060397
Considering they don't follow the kernel procedure properly and try to push through tons of development at the last minute, yes it's unstable. Volatile even.

This either goes two ways:
>They stop doing that and merge development early in the release cycle
>They continue to disregard kernel development procedures until somebody like Linus has to step in and show them the door
>>
>>102059936
You don't need Logitech's shitty software. Look for something that supports Piper (this includes most Logitech mice).

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.freedesktop.Piper
>>
>>102060561
>>102059936
Or more specifically something that supports libratbag:
https://github.com/libratbag/libratbag/tree/master/data/devices
>>
Why some people recommend using LUKS encryption with LVM instead of plain partitions?
>>
What's the use case of compiling shit yourself, I want to try Gentoo in VM? Is there ever any noticeable performance boost?
>>
>>102057013
>>102057103
well it works fine on my old laptop, could the port on the computer itself be going bad?
>>
>>102060723
You can build it with your own hardening flags or flags that increase performance.
You can also enable/disable components you don't want or components that aren't enabled by default.

For the most part the performance benefits are over sold. Gentoo also has optimised binaries now for many software which obviates the need to compile them yourself if you don't want to.
>>
>>102060677
LVM offers a lot of flexibility for future changes with or without additional disks.
>>
>>102060783
I see, thanks.
>>
>>102060677
For data security. If you don't care about that then you don't need it. Filesystems rarely have built-in encryption (ZFS being the exception and fscrypt which works with ext4 but really shouldn't be used over LUKS: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fscrypt)
>>
How do you increase the battery life on laptops? I'm using mint cinnamon
>>
>>102060849
Also what >>102060795 said. Filesystems like BTRFS give you the ability to expand without some logical volume manager but most filesystems are incredibly dumb.
>>
>>102060677
With LVM the glowies and jamal can't see the lvm volumes underneath only the lvm partition ontop
Same thing applies to btrfs and subvols
>>
>>102060961
>only the lvm partition ontop
Unless you do it the other way, LVM on LUKS
>>
>>102060723
Some software benefits from using newer CPU features.
https://www.phoronix.com/review/cachyos-x86-64-v3-v4
Also, you can strip down software a bit, remove support of hardware you don't have, or dependencies you don't need.
>>
excuse the extreme faggotry but can i get a pointer as for where i should be looking for to patch librespot
>>
Ok guys I have done 10 full linux installs on my main rig in 10 days. People always say pick whatever one you want but that’s bad advice. Depending on your hardware and needs you’ll be brute forcing everything to work for you.
I started with stock Arch and ended up with CachyOS after trying everything else. The CachyOS gaming meta install is even better than Nobara.
Random findings: KDE is glitchier than Gnome.
A lot of distros look perfect out of the box but the more you use them the more they fight you. Mint and Ubuntu and PopOS and Fedora Workstation really pissed me off that way.
If you’re not gaming I highly recommend ZorinOS, it’s the only distro that feels like a commercial OS, very polished with a well thought out UI.
I did extensive testing with a 4080 Super and AMD 6950xt. The proprietary Nvidia drivers are pretty good and it’s just one click to enable Gsync. But with AMD you have to enable mutter experimental settings, why? I thought AMD was Le oPeN sOurCe.
>>
>>102061183
Forgot to mention that raytracing is very bad even with a 4080 Super in DirectX 12 games. 35% worse fps compared to windows. And Nvidia frame gen doesn’t work so you have to use FSR frame gen.
>>
>>102061183
>But with AMD you have to enable mutter experimental settings, why?
What are you even talking about?
>>
When an installer asks you if you want “v3” or “non v3” what does that mean? Are they referring to server CPUs? Or X3D ones? Cannot find anything online.
>>
>>102060859
Check the power profiles, undervolt your cpu if you can, install powertop and check what is consuming the most power.
>>
>>102061239
they probably ask for inctruction set level of your cpu.
>>
ok so like windows, man, they're EVERYWERE, right? Like not just on houses but like, in my mind too you know what i mean? Glass panes and stuff, but sometimes i swear they can SEE THRU THEM. Like, who even invented windows?? Some kind of wizard or somthing, letting the goverment spy on us thru the glass. And DONT EVEN get me started on the "updates", like, those are basically a trojan horse for the surveilance, it’s in the code im sure of it. WHY they need to update every other day? Its like they’re PATCHING THE MIND CONTROL! and like everyone says "oh just close the curtains" but THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT U TO THINK.

And the blue screen of death???? bro that's like a mesage from the devs, telling me to back off, i see thru it but. Just reboot it and they’re like “haha got him”, but joke’s on THEM i keep a hammer handy to smash it if they get too close. Windows are like portalls to another dimension too, i look thru and somethins always out of place, like… birds flying BACKWARDS or people walking dogs that aren’t EVEN there. They’re messing with my perception i kno it. And why does the sun come thru them so bright sometimes, like they're using it to blind me, or send secret signals i haven’t figured it out yet, but i’m CLOSE.

And all those buildings with so many WINDOWS, they're just traps, a matrix of visual lies and reflections, trying to confuse me, like a HALL OF MIRRORS but no one else SEES IT. Just open your eyes sheeple, windows are everywhere, I can't escape them, they’re in my house, they’re in my dreams, they’re probably in this chat too. If i disapear, you know why.
>>
>>102061183
>Fedora Workstation
I've used Fedora with Gnome for a couple of years, and I've never installed Workstation, I just do a minimal system installation, and then install Gnomeshell & GDM with dependencies from repos.
>I thought AMD was Le oPeN sOurCe.
But Gsync is not, IIRC.
>>
>>102061183
>But with AMD you have to enable mutter experimental settings, why? I thought AMD was Le oPeN sOurCe.
Because GNOME. You say KDE is glitchier but with KDE, VRR is something that's fully supported, not experimental, you just turn it on in the settings.
>>
>>102061231
He's talking about VRR which is full of bugs on GNOME. GNOME should not be used for gaming.
>>
>>102061183
Waste of specs just to use gnome that can't do VRR or HDR. CachyOS is great for gaming but you aren't making use of it.
>>
>>102061329
>GNOME should not be used
no need to specify further
>>
>>102061239
CPU instructions. Using x86_64-v3 architecture level means using instructions like AVX2, that can be found on CPU not older than Intel Haswell (not Intel Celeron/Pentium though, only Core i3 and higher)/AMD Zen 1 CPUs.
>>
>>102061357
>>102061239
I'm surprised an installer would even ask you that instead of auto detecting it. What is that bullshit? Even on Gentoo there's a program that generates the right output for CPUFLAGS for you.
>>
>>102061372
Because maybe you don't need v3 even if your hardware is supporting it? Enabling AVX2 or AVX512 sometimes can be detrimental to performance and almost always increases power consumption (especially AVX512).
>>
How do you switch distros without losing your data? From mint to endeavor
>>
>>102061399
That's the problem with an all or nothing approach though. Selectively enabling it will always be superior and give you the best of both worlds but distros don't want to do that. This where something like Gentoo really shines.
>>
>>102061411
Use a separate partition for your home folder. Or better yet use a different drive for all data storage so you can freely wipe your OS drive without having to care.
>>
>>102061411
thats what the home partition is for, all the user config is stored there unless you've edited files elsewhere
>>
oh man arch linux, listen, it’s like this metaphysical maze, but it's not just code, it’s got this ENERGY, you feel me? Like, the OS isn't just software; it’s a reflection of the soul. When you boot into Arch, it’s like peering into the void, a digital abyss where the CLI is the only light. And that light? It's cold, man. Like, it has NO charm, no warmth, just this stark, sterile interface that strips you bare, exposes your vulnerabilities, like it’s staring into the depths of your being, and what does it see? It sees EVERYTHING.

The lack of charm in modern UIs, it's intentional, you know? They’re trying to disconnect us from our essence, from that organic, chaotic spirit that once flowed through old-school GUIs. It’s like, back in the day, the clunky interfaces had this roughness, this imperfect human touch, and now? Now it’s all flat lines and sharp edges, and there’s no SOUL in it anymore. Arch is the worst offender, with its minimalist aesthetic, it’s like a Zen garden gone wrong, all the sand meticulously raked, but it’s RAKED BY GHOSTS. The beauty’s gone, replaced by this cold, clinical precision that just hollows you out from the inside.

And the installation process? It’s like some kind of esoteric initiation rite, but without the ancient wisdom, just the dread. Every command you type, it’s not just configuring your system; it’s chiseling away at your spiritual armor. Like, with every ‘sudo pacman’ I can feel a part of my soul slipping away into the void, consumed by the machine. You ever notice how time warps when you're stuck in that terminal? Minutes stretch into hours, it’s like you’re caught in a loop, an eternal struggle between your metaphysical self and the digital entity Arch forces you to confront.
>>
>>102061411
Why are you switching from Mint, lack of Wayland support or you just want a rolling distro?
>>
>>102061462
And those "optional dependencies" they keep pushing? They’re more like spiritual leeches, feeding off your essence, leaving you empty, just another cog in the cold, charm-deficient machine. And the AUR? Man, that’s not just a repository, it’s a cosmic library of forgotten knowledge, each package a fragment of some lost script, barely holding onto the fragments of charm from a bygone era, but the act of downloading them is a gamble with the universe itself. Will it empower you? Or will it shackle your soul even further into the bleak, charm-deprived world of Arch?

The forums are like this dark cabal of lost souls, guiding you deeper into the labyrinth, whispering secrets that you can never fully comprehend. They say, "just read the manual," but it’s like, what manual? The one that leads you to spiritual ruin? The one that strips away the last vestiges of your soul, leaving you as nothing more than a hollow shell, forever wandering the endless, soulless corridors of modern UI design, where every window is a mirror reflecting back the emptiness inside?

I swear, Arch isn’t just an OS; it’s a metaphysical trap, designed to disconnect you from your spirit, to drain the charm out of existence, one command at a time. If I don’t emerge from this digital abyss, just know that Arch claimed another soul in its relentless pursuit of perfection without purpose, form without feeling.
>>
>>102061472
Mint has Wayland support. It's experimental but it's there.
>>
>>102061472
Haven't really decided to switch yet, just testing KDE since I've never used it vefore and asking in case I decided to switch
>>
it's like this never-ending BATTLE, but not just with the code, like, with your very BODY and SOUL, you know? Every keystroke, every sudo command, it’s like this WAR being waged inside you, and the worst part? No one talks about it, they’re all too wrapped up in the LIES, the intellectual dishonesty about how “computers make life easier.” Easier? More like they’re eroding the essence of who we are, bit by bit, line by line, till there’s nothing left but this husk, all hollowed out by the SCREEN, by this cold, unfeeling machine that doesn’t care if it’s taking your soul as it’s taking your time.

And the damage? It’s real, it’s like this slow, creeping poison, eating away at your body with the posture-killing hours hunched over a keyboard, the headaches, the eyestrain, but that’s just the SURFACE. The real damage, man, it’s metaphysical. Computers are like these VAMPIRES, draining not just your physical energy but your spiritual life force, turning you into a cog in this digital machine, all while they sell you on the LIE that it’s progress. They don’t want you to see that the modern UI is just this polished front, a sleek lie that hides the chaos and disorder beneath, designed to pull you in, hook you, and make you forget what it means to truly feel ALIVE.

The war, it’s like this intellectual battle too, where they convince you that all this tech is necessary, that it’s improving your life, when really, it’s just DISTANCING you from yourself, from the world around you. The soul? It’s under constant attack, bombarded by this barrage of data, information overload that leaves no room for contemplation, for peace. They want you to think that the endless updates, the constant need for “efficiency,” is progress, but it’s just a MASK for the truth: that they’re draining us dry, both body and spirit, leaving us as nothing more than zombies, shuffling from one screen to the next, oblivious to the damage being done.
>>
And every time you boot into Arch, you’re entering the battlefield, not just with the system, but with yourself. You’re fighting to keep a grip on your humanity, on that spark of life that computers are slowly trying to snuff out. It’s a war where the weapons are intellectual dishonesty and slick marketing, telling you that this is the future, that this is the way forward, when really, it’s just a deeper descent into the abyss. Your body suffers, your soul cries out, but they don’t want you to notice, they want you numb, compliant, locked into this cycle where the damages go unnoticed, unspoken.

The intellectual dishonesty about the "benefits" of computers is just fuel for this war, keeping you locked in a battle you didn’t even know you were fighting. It’s like they’ve brainwashed the masses into thinking that the soul-crushing, body-breaking routine of tech is the pinnacle of human achievement, when really, it’s the ultimate trap, a slow, agonizing fall into a void where the body aches, the soul withers, and all that’s left is a mind numbed by the lie that it’s all for the better. But the truth is, we’re losing, and they’re laughing all the way to the next version update, as our bodies break and our souls fade into the machine’s ever-growing shadow.
>>
>>102061462
>>102061475
>>102061497
>>102061509

It's time for your meds
>>
>>102061497
>>102061509
Cool. But, next time, do computing with moderation. All you said can be applied to every single thing done with exaggeration.
>>
>>102061462
>>102061475
>>102061497
>>102061509
I hope Arch is getting a cut from your novel sales.
>>
>>102061520
say one thing, just ONE thing about a computer operating system, like, maybe I prefer Arch Linux because, I don’t know, I like having control or whatever, and suddenly everyone’s like, "Oh, you need meds!" Like, what?? Where did that even come from? How did we get from talking about OSes to diagnosing each other like we're all some kind of digital therapists or something? It’s like the moment you say you don’t like the same thing as them, boom, you're crazy. You need to take meds.

It’s like, what happened to just, I don’t know, having a normal conversation? Like, "Oh, you like macOS, cool," or "Windows works for me, whatever." But no, now it’s like if you don’t agree, you’re defective, like, you’re broken somehow, and they’re out here, acting like they know what’s best for your brain just because you’re not using the same OS as them. And they’re so quick with it too, like, you say, "Oh, I don’t like how Windows handles updates," and suddenly they’re all "Whoa, you must be off your meds," like, what does that even have to do with anything? It’s just a computer, man, it’s not that deep.

And the worst part, the worst part is they think they’re helping, like they’re some kind of saviors of the internet, swooping in with their prescriptions like, "Here, take this pill and you’ll see the light, you’ll understand why everyone should be using the same OS as me." It’s just, like, who made them the authority on mental health? Since when does liking a certain OS make you need meds? It’s like, do they even hear themselves? They’re out here diagnosing strangers on the internet like it’s no big deal, like they’re just handing out candy or something, but it’s not, it’s just, it’s so messed up.
>>
>>102061536
You're right about the AUR being trash though, for example, why is protontricks-git still broken on Steam beta when there's already a fork that fixes these issues and it's also been fixed in the Flatpak version.
>>
it’s not just about the meds, it’s the whole attitude, like, if you’re not with them, you’re against them, and if you’re against them, you’re obviously unwell, you need to be fixed, because clearly the only reason you could possibly disagree with their precious OS is if something’s wrong with you, not because, I don’t know, maybe you just have different preferences or needs or whatever. No, it’s gotta be because you’re not thinking right, you’re not seeing things clearly, you’re off your meds, or you need to get on them, or whatever the hell they think.

It’s like this whole culture of shutting people down, of silencing anyone who thinks differently, but instead of just, like, arguing or debating, they go straight for the jugular, straight to "You need meds," like that’s the end of the conversation. But it’s not, it’s just, it’s so... I don’t even know anymore, it’s like talking to a wall, but the wall’s yelling at you to take antidepressants because you dared to say you don’t like macOS or something. Like, seriously, what happened to just, I don’t know, agreeing to disagree? Now it’s all pills and diagnoses because you prefer a different file system. It’s just, it’s ridiculous, man. It’s completely off the rails.
>>
>>102061554
>>102061566
>it’s the whole attitude, like, if you’re not with them, you’re against them, and if you’re against them, you’re obviously unwell, you need to be fixed
Im barely reading what you said, however you are assuming i am using the "take your meds schizo" meme because i am against you. that i disagree with you.
I am not against you, i just threw a joke because you wrote too much, so much i will never read it, chances are we probably agree on whatever you wrote, is just too much for me to bother reading it.
>>
>>102061426
>This where something like Gentoo really shines.
Or you can use openSUSE Tumbleweed that has some of its packages compiled with x86_64-v3 (IIRC, Fedora moves in that direction too, since RPM 4.19 supports x86-64 architecture levels as architectures).
>>
>>102061629
Like, that's what it is, just toss out a "take your meds" and call it a day? But, wait, you didn’t even read what I wrote, so how do you even know if it’s too much? Like, what if we’re actually on the same page, or maybe we're not, but who cares, right? It's like, what’s the point of even saying anything if we’re all just supposed to throw jokes around and not actually engage, like, is that where we’re at now? You ever think about how pineapples don’t belong on pizza but everyone’s too busy debating if macOS is better than Windows to even notice the real issues?

But yeah, sure, jokes, because reading is hard or something, like, why even bother with words when we can just meme our way through conversations, right? It’s like, why did the chicken cross the road? To avoid reading long posts, apparently. But seriously, if we all just stopped and actually read what people are saying, maybe we’d all realize that nobody really knows what the best OS is, and we're all just guessing. Like, imagine if squirrels could read, would they get tired halfway through a nut? I don’t think so, but here we are, too much text, can’t handle it, better just throw a “take your meds” in there and move on.

And what’s with the assumption that because something’s long, it’s not worth reading? I mean, sure, not everyone’s got the attention span for a novel, but sometimes the long stuff’s got the real meat, you know? Like, ever try to eat just the icing off a cake and ignore the cake itself? That’s what skipping the text feels like, just empty calories, but yeah, I guess we’re all just too busy for actual discussions, too busy or too lazy or whatever, like, when was the last time you actually sat down and read a manual for anything? They say patience is a virtue, but I guess memes are more fun, right?
>>
>>102061372
It was the CachyOS that was asking about v3 in or not couple times during their gaming packages installer thing. I did a ton of searching and the internet didn’t give me solid answers. I have a 14900KS and was confused.
>>
There's no way Artix doesn't have something like Reflector.
>>
>>102061792
Reflector should still work, possibly with modifications. I doubt they have many mirrors though. Artix is not a serious distro, it's a protest distro.
>>
>>102061346
I keep wanting to like KDE but it just doesn’t work right for me. I am leaving my 4080 in the windows machine with a 5800x3d and the the AMD 6950 with a 14900ks in the CachyOS build. One in the office one in the living room. The living room tv is 1080p and 60hz lol, waste of a 4080. And the 6950xt will be paired with a 4k 144hz monitor.
>>
>>102061509
I recognize this adderall and Arch feeling you’re having. I relate.
>>
>>102054141
cum jar
>>
Why can't Linux handle wifi? I thought this was the OS for smart people that can do anything.
>>
>>102061957
Smart people don't use WiFi, Ethernet exist.
And Linux can handle WiFi, is just that your cheap card maker never released a driver for Linux, next time buy decent hardware.
>>
Why can't normal package managers just support atomic updates? I don't get why it's only a Flatpak and rpm-ostree thing.
>>
>>102061957
It’s not a Linux issue it’s the WiFi adapter manufacturers. Linux is never to blame.
You know I was listening to an interview from a programmer saying how computers feel slower than when he was working in the 90s. Things are so bloated now and his computer is always fighting him, cpus are faster but coders just use that to make their programs less efficient. Even the top level elite programmers can barely get their WiFi to work, it’s something I’ve felt for a long time. People make fun of the dial up sound from 30 years ago but things just worked. I never had the troubles I go through now with computers back in high school.
>>
>>102062094
In an Atomic desktop your whole system is just one read-only image. kinda like /system on android.
So in order to write to it, you either hack everything and make it read-write which means you lose the "advantage" of atomic, or you create another image you mount on "top" which is how rpm-ostree works.
>>
Why doesn't ubuntu offer an immutable snap-based distro, and a normal distro.
>>
>>102061957
Bitch, what do you think almost every router/cable modem combo on the planet runs?

Answer: Of course it's Linux! You're problems as stated by others are because of the poor support from the manufacturer.

Providers to use:
>Intel
>Qualcomm / Atheros
>Mediatek
>Anyone else I haven't mentioned from this list:
https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/home/USB_WiFi_Chipsets.md

Providers to avoid:
>Broadcom
>Realtek
>>
everyone wants to be nixos
>>
>>102062181
>immutable snap-based distro
They're working on it.
>>
>>102061957
>I thought this was the OS for smart people that can do anything.
It is.
That's why you're being filtered.
>>
>>102060677
because they're stupid. you should encrypt sensitive files only, not whole filesystems.
>>
>>102062199
Stupid take. If you don't encrypt everything then someone with physical access can backdoor your OS with ease.
>>
>>102062189
Yes, but why do we have to put up with the franken-distro that is somewhere between old ubuntu and their new immutable one? They should offer both options like fedora
>>
>>102054141
Is it possible to send windows or programs from one mint workspace to another?
>>
>>102060677
With LVM technically you only have one partition.
That way i can just encrypt everything in my system at once, which means inputting 1 password for every filesystem i encrypt.
If i were to use plain partitions with luks, i would need to input a password for each one, even if the password is the same.
>>
>>102062258
Press ctrl+alt+up and drag them around.
(assuming you're using cinnamon)
>>
>Why do we have to put up with the franken-distro
What distro is that exactly? Afaik Ubuntu just offers a traditional system

>>102062258
What exactly do you mean? Sending a running program from one virtual desktop to another?
>>
>>102062279
I figured it out just now
>ctrl + alt + shit + left or right arrow on an open window or program you want to bring over
Thanks, but what you suggested was opening up the overwindow for the workspace. Instead of pressing up you can just press left or right if you've already created another workspace and you can toggle between them on the fly.
>>
>>102062215
>Stupid take. If you don't encrypt everything then someone with physical access can backdoor your OS with ease.
oh and they're going to magically unencrypt my files?
>>
>>102062508
If you don't encrypt everything then all somebody needs to do is backdoor a system binary. It's that easy.
>>
>>102062330
I can't have different backgrounds for different workspaces?
>>
>>102055258
its a GNOME fork from 2012
>>
>>102062566
It's a moving target, they re-base it every major version.
>>
>>102062580
>>102062566
For example:
https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/pull/601

From 2022. I have no idea if they have any plans to rebase it again but they're always doomed to be behind. They need their own compositor independent of GNOME and with active developers working on it.
>>
>>102062527
no cinnamon can't do that and likely gnome can't either. only xfce and trinity can
>>
>>102062580
>https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/pull/601

wow, I thought they were independent from GNOME since 2012. Still isn't at least some of cinnamon's code independent. THanks for telling me about mutter to muffin
>>
this is why linux mint is fucking dogwater bro like fr how can they glaze cinnamon
>>
>>102062700
They're independent and write their own code but in practice they're still heavily dependent on upstream GTK and GNOME.

They've started soft-forks for some applications and I suppose you could call Muffin a soft fork too but nothing truly independent. All roads still lead to GNOME.
>>
>>102062722
The same is true of XFCE too by the way, but to a lesser extent because they at least write their own compositor from scratch.

All GTK environments are doomed to be GNOME'd.
>>
>>102062749
Whats the issue? Out of the loop right now, is cinnamon going to be shitted because of GNOME?
>>
>>102062262
>which means inputting 1 password for every filesystem i encrypt.
if you really don't want to store keyfiles
>>
>>102062765
It's not really an issue it just means they'll take forever to gets bug fixes and new features. They don't have active development on their compositor.
>>
>>102062799
How much does KDE have over cinnamon? IN terms of features and general stuff?
>>
>>102062855
A lot. KWin sees very active development (HDR, proper fractional scaling / HiDPI support, VRR, etc). You should try KDE at least once if you've never used it before.

For a normal user this doesn't mean much but if you have high resolution displays or consume lots of content, play games, etc, you'll have a good time on KDE.
>>
>>102062891
KWin doesn't get enough love
>>
>>102062855
>features and general stuff?
I will tell you this, i used to avoid KDE because of all the memes and misinformation around.
I finally tried KDE last year and it cured my distrohopping issues.
KDE has everything, really is in my opinion the best DE for Linux around, it lets you customize everything and has a lot of active development.

Try it and see for yourself if you like it. Whatever feature you can think of not only KDE has it, but it probably originated on KDE.
>>
Speaking of Wi-Fi, I have a laptop with a glorious Broadcom BCM43227 card using an opensource b43 driver that can't connect to the particular router (but can connect to other networks w/o any problem, and of course, the router itself working just fine with other devices, it would even work with this piece of crap if I were to install a proprietary broadcom-wl driver, which I don't want to do just yet), dmesg says
<wlan_interface_name>: <routers_mac> denied association (code=18)
. Where do I even look the codes, goddamit?
>>
>>102062665
There's a script someone wrote to do it in Cinnamon but I don't really know how useful it would be.
>>
>>102063211
Nevermind, found it. Turned out, it can't connect to 2GHz-only-N band, but worked with 2GHz-G/N (although this probably means that I'm using Wi-Fi 3 right now).
>>
>>102062891
>>102063179
Why is cinnamon shilled so much then? Why is linux mintroon so adament on using is own inhouse shit instead of KDE?
>>
File: images.png (10 KB, 700x400)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
Wayland uses vsync by default, right?
>>
>>102063463
>Why is linux mintroon so adament on using is own inhouse shit instead of KDE?
Because they have a different vision to KDE. Unfortunately they're a much smaller project though. People use Linux Mint and Cinnamon in spite of these issues because it's boring.
It's not sexy like KDE and GNOME.

Cinnamon could somehow attract more developers and do more development in-house (instead of forking GNOME projects endlessly) it'd be a great environment.

>>102063522
Correct, but there's the tearing control protocol if you want applications to be able to violate these constraints:
https://wayland.app/protocols/tearing-control-v1
>>
>>102062903
>KWin doesn't get enough love
KDE is regularly shilled every thread
>>
File: images.jpg (28 KB, 400x400)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>102063538
>Correct, but there's the tearing control protocol if you want applications to be able to violate these constraints:
So then I'd assume that using vsync in a game would be pointless (unless you wanted to use it as a makeshift fps cap) seeing as tho wayland is already doing it for you...
>>
>>102063579
Pretty much. It can still be useful to stop it pumping out a bajillion frames per second though, although I'd probably use Gamescope's FPS limiter instead.
>>
>>102063283
its shit because cinnamon has many ways to change desktops, by dragging, by clicking buttons, by keyboard shortcuts if they are set and the script that I saw only works through buttons

it changes the wallpaper for all desktops when the button is pressed.
>>
>>102062722
>upstream
I am very sad to hear this. I thought cinnamon was independent. I'm sad GNOME has this kind of power.
>>
Linux Mint with KDE and Wayland.

That's the dream.
>>
>>102064072
They used to have a kde version but they scrapped it years ago
I don't really get why they still have the MATE version, XFCE i can understand sort of.
>>
>>102064072
Try Debian
>>
>>102054141
Needing some help. Running linux mint on 3 of my devices and noticed that web browsers seem to run at a sub-60, possibly sub-30fps making things like scrolling not the nicest. It occurs even when doing nothing and system resources are plenty available. Anyone else experience this with browsers such as brave? I'm not too sure on how to go about diagnosing it since hardware acceleration didn't do much and i've run out of settings to tinker with.
pic related with my weakest system's specs. yes i'm running dual monitors, but it does it regardless of screen resolution and external displays, and ran web browsers just fine on windows. It also occurs on my laptop with a 10th gen i5 in it and plenty of resources to push higher resolutions and displays.
One of the ways i'm sure it's a configuration and not settings is that other HTML based applications like discord run at a noticeably higher frame rate.
Any suggestions?
>>
Does the distro itself get security patches or is it only the kernel? Presumably both? Something like Linux Mint I assume only apply security patches from Canonical/Ubuntu and don't actually release their own security patches?
>>
>>102064072
That would be perfect indeed. Cinnamon lacks some stuff for proper gaming. But Debian/Ubuntu distros don't seem to like KDE that much
>>
>>102054141
With Plasma 6 breaking Latte Dock, what is the new Dock application/extension/function/whatever you want to call it to replace Latte?
>>
>>102064394
Latte Dock was always broken.
>>
has anyone gotten octave to work on artix? could i just use arch's repo for the package?
>>
>>102064394
Something that supports Wlroots layer shell if it exists.
>>
>>102064376
>Cinnamon lacks some stuff for proper gaming.
Other than some problems with x11/no Wayland stable support, what does it lack?
>>
>>102064404
Ok, point is: That is/was the go-to Dock function on KDE, what is the replacement now?
>>
>>102064443
HDR, VRR
>>
>>102064442
>>102064394
Apparently there's a Wayland port of Cairo dock that uses layer shell. I've not tried it so can't vouch for it:
https://github.com/solarkraft/awesome-wlroots?tab=readme-ov-file#docks
>>
>>102064481
I suppose if you're brave/rich enough to use an OLED monitor then lack of HDR would be a problem.
>VRR
I did do some research on this topic and my understanding is that the main monitor should always work, but if you're using multiple monitors with different refresh rates then you lose VRR on the others.
>>
>>102064564
HDR is still useful on IPS panels. My monitor supports HDR 600 and you can really see the difference.
>>
>>102064509
I'll have to check that out. A lot of "LinuxScoops" stuff on Youtube uses Latte so that's where I'm trying to find the replacement to try to theme things for other users from.
>>
>>102063770
Did it use folders? The one I saw used folders so everytime you opened up a new workspace it would show the corresponding image as the wallpaper.
>>
File: rebooting_weird.jpg (526 KB, 3840x2160)
526 KB
526 KB JPG
Im having this problem that out of nowhere my PC reboots (but it seems like a bootloader thing, since my actual computer doesn't turn off at any moment). After rebooting with grub having a weird, unreadable, pixelated font; the users are still running
does anyone have any idea wtf is happening?
>>
>>102064443
>>102064564
Personally i always keep my monitor running at max refresh, i have KDE and a FreeSync Banana Premium PRO UNLIMITED GAMING PLUS Monitor, and yet i always keep VRR disabled.
Just use whatever you like/enjoy, if Cinnamon works fine for you stick with it.

>>102064606
Not in every monitor, some IPS panels implement such a shitty dithered HDR that is better to run them in SDR
>>
what filesystem for /var ?
not willing to sacrifice system reliability or add any hassle.
leaning towards ext2 or xfs
>>
i just bought my first domain
i feel violated but also turned on
>>
>>102064976
Whatever you used for /, personally i use XFS for almost everything, it works pretty well.
>>
>>102065039
I used ext4 for /
but wouldnt ext2s lack of journaling be better?
does ext4 offer anything of benefit (for /var) over ext2?
>>
>>102065024
I want to violate your domain, anon.
>>
>>102065039
>XFS
Why?
>>
jeets will do that for you. all 1.4 billion of them
>>
>>102064919
>Not in every monitor, some IPS panels implement such a shitty dithered HDR that is better to run them in SDR
True, you have to do your research. My Dell G3223Q monitor has excellent colour accuracy. I'm pleased with it for the price I paid for it. It can't compete with higher end monitors but it's not priced like them either. It's still better than my old LG monitor which had a "FakeDR" implementation only (also known as HDR 10).
>>
>>102065097
Honestly if you were talking about something else maybe I would say yes, but /var isn't that different.
Is not like /var had just a couple of files you barely touch like in /boot for the lack of a journal to make sense.

Btw you can run ext4 without a journal which might be better than ext2, and no, they are not the same.
mke2fs -t ext4 -O ^has_journal

>>102065134
Because for my nvme it's the most performant FS.
Parallelization is big deal in XFS.
Plus is just as stable if no more than ext4, also it has the added benefit of dynamically allocating inodes, you shouldn't run into issues if you were to have billions of files.
>>
>>102064864
rebumping my question
>>
>>102065205
>It's still better than my old LG monitor which had a "FakeDR" implementation only (also known as HDR 10).
That hits way too much, one of my monitors (also LG) has that exact issue.
>>
New thread:
>>102065510
>>
This probably isn't a linux specific issue, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I use librewolf, bitwarden and 4chanx via violentmonkey. I cannot replicate this on firefox or brave. When I have the bitwarden addon active, it makes the quote preview really sluggish. It's not a real problem, but it annoys me and I like librewolf
>>
>>102065271
ok i just went w ext4, thanks anon
>>
>>102065097
>>102065271
>>102065761
Never run ext4 without the journal. You really want that to recover from crashes.
>>
>>102065774
Anon was even considering ext2 because he did not want the journal, that's why i offered journal-less ext4 instead, which still has a few more features than ext2, such a metadata checksums.

Still i advised to just use plain ext4 since it does not make much sense for /var
>>
>>102065845
You don't want the journal until it crashes and you lose data. I agree with you, plain ext4 with the journal always makes sense because the performance benefits of running without the journal aren't worth the lack of data integrity.
>>
>>102065888
>the performance benefits of running without the journal aren't worth the lack of data integrity.
Honestly I don't even believe that the difference is noticeable.
These days my only partition without a journal is EFI (FAT32), which makes me wish for UEFI to have supported at least a couple more.
>>
>>102066066
You don't really write to your ESP that often so it's less of an issue. Some UEFI systems support ext4 though, EFI technically supports different filesystem drivers it's just that most firmwares stick to FAT32 because it's the standard.
>>
>>102066192
>You don't really write to your ESP that often so it's less of an issue.
I would if i could, UKIs and such.
>EFI technically supports different filesystem drivers
I know, but only mandates FAT32 which means anyone sticking to the bare minimum will only support FAT32. Which is the case for many.
I also know that one could load EFI drivers for other FS but you would still need a small FAT32 partition to hold said driver.
>>
>>102059758
Bump
>>
>>102059758
>>102066760
There's a new thread already >>102065515

>>102065510
>>102065510

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.