[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://igwiki.lyci.de/wiki/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://igwiki.lyci.de/wiki/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
https://suckless.org/rocks/
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
https://overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://files.catbox.moe/u3pj3i.txt

GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/1175569
>>>/vg/lgg

IRC: #sqt on Libera.Chat
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>102806990
>>
Audacious my beloved
>>
>>102827987
it really kicks the llama's ass
>>
I'm using OpenSUSE Leap 15.5 and have installed OBS Studio on it. The problem is that when I want to connect to Twich on it I get this error:
>ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
>>
If I have an NVIDIA GPU (RTX 3060 TI), which would be more likely to break after an update: Fedora or Arch?
Assuming standard kernel, rpmfusion akmod-nvidia on Fedora, and the nvidia package (or nvidia-open if it is better) on Arch.
>>
>>102828061
Arch is much more prone to breakages in general, but you should be okay if you don't enable the testing repo. Your main downfall will be Fedora's major version releases. My Nvidia card relentlessly breaks when upgrading major version on Fedora, but it also depends on the DE/WM you're using, also whether you're using Xorg or Wayland. This is not a recommendation for either distro, as quite frankly, they both suck due to either Systemd + IBM or systend + the fact that literally all of the core Arch devs run MacOS.
>>
File: file.jpg (3 KB, 200x200)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>
>>102828061
Use whatever distro you want and configure BTRFS snapshots with something like Snapper
>>
>>102828061
10 years on Arch with Nvidia and it didn't break even once. The only thing I ever had problems with was the bootloader.
>>
>>102828140
Same here, I did run into a problem with the nvidia driver but I couldn't update for four months so it was to be expected
>>
>>102828077
>My Nvidia card relentlessly breaks when upgrading major version on Fedora
In what way does it break? And do you upgrade as soon as a new major version comes out, or do you wait?
>>102828140
How often do you update your system? Same install for 10 years?
>>
>>102828201
That was the same system for 10 years. Updates differed from a few days to sometimes months between them, depending on how I felt about them.
>>
I wrote a whole thing out then my post was not sent?
wtf 4chan.
Here's slop for deleting my post.
Dell latitude Fedora 40 not seeing fat32 thumbdrive.
Not a hardware problem.
How do I fix it?
>>
>>102828201
It will make me reinstall drivers, and occasionally it will just nuke my install. It has happened multiple times before.
I normally install within ~2 days after the release.
>>102828360
I've been copying everything I write before I do the CAPTCHA. Especially when the CAPTCHA looks challenging.
>>
>>102828427
My windows machine sees it.
My old os, earlier fedora, on the same latitude saw it.
Any ideas?
Nothing in Disks, restarted many times.
512GB fat32
>>
>>102828444
Unfortunately not. I've never had an issue with not recognising FAT32 USBs before, especially on Fedora which is extremely ootb.
>>
>>102824100
Is it better to do the former or latter when setting up variables?
>>
I recently moved to Fedora Kinoite, which uses BTRFS by default.

I use external drives for backups of important folders and files. Should I reformat them to BTRFS?

Is there a way BTRFS can sync folders so I don't have to manually copy them over to my drives whenever there's changes?
>>
Are there any performance improvements being worked on to make Gnome lag less often?
>>
>>102829441
there’s ubuntu’s dynamic triple buffering thing thats supposed to be merged eventually or maybe has already.
>>
If you have an encrypted (basic LUKS setup) NVMe disk in an USB enclosure and connect it to your GNU/Linux OS, do you get a prompt automatically asking for the password?
>>
>>102829457
I use Ubuntu. It sucks that animations sometimes lag because I really like their Gnome variation. The lag only happens occasionally so it might be solvable. Performance mode and meme kernels could not fix it either.
>>
>>102829502
you already have i think the most performance optimized gnome you can get without compiling it then i think.
i don’t use gnome anymore but it ran smooth on my main laptop, gnome is pretty much only built for modern hardware though.
on my older rig i would disable animations which makes it a little perkier, albeit less pretty.
>>
>>102829463
if you have a desktop with auto mounting setup it should popup and ask for the password as soon as you plug in the drive. otherwise you’ll have go unlock it with cryptsetup before mounting the filesystem.
>>
File: 1727003093812204.png (1.18 MB, 672x950)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
I decided to move from Hyprland, since it seems lo lack any Vulkan support even planned. And I decided to go to KDE. I need some help setting it up, though. In particular, I need the following:
1. Omnidirectional scroll by holding top-right (back) button on my Trackball
2. Being able to interact with windows on the second screen without moving focus to them. For example, so I can switch a tab in browser or scroll a page in a PDF on my vertical monitor without losing focus and typing in NeoVim on my main screen.
3. B-tree partitioning tiling where I can select the direction and screen the next window appears.
>>
>>102829533
I read somewhere that there is an elaborate way to use something like cgroups to increase the performance of KDE. Hopefully distros pick it up someday.
>>
Sleep comfy ya'll
>>
>>102829793
Fedora has Uresourced that does that
>>
>>102829558
Why does the vulkan support thing matters?
Not every gpu/cpu has vulkan support
>>
>>102830045
1. Every GPU since the last decade has Vulkan support
2. Vulkan on Linux tends to be more performant
3. HDR right now requires Vulkan (e.g., to play HDR games you have to kill Hyprland and start Gamescope from terminal, since it doesn't work from inside Hyprland). It's too much bother. I want to consume my HDR content on my HDR monitor. Hyprland doesnt even support screen calibration (not really related, but bothers me).
>>
X dual screen setup, one is 144VRR and the other is 60Hz. My understanding is that as long as the two are in the same X screen all you can get is fixed at the lower rate. Do I leave the higher set at 144Hz or put it in its 60Hz mode? In particular for games where I imagine there may be some fuckiness with syncing to a native refresh rate that is not the display rate, though I haven't noticed any weird 60:72 framepacing.

I've been living with 60fps for a while but I wanna play a speedy first person game again and I'm missing the 144 smoothness.

Should I give much consideration to configuring two X screens? As I understand that will allow the one assigned to the one monitor to have actual 144VRR but that tasks cannot be moved between the two. So I would need a "game mode" script to move a display to the alternate X screen for a game and restore everything afterward, ideally including my dual-screen window configuration. That SHOULD be just moving workspaces around but I vaguely recall, the last time I accidentally turned off the primary monitor with the secondary still on, it was mildly irritating to restore everything.
>>
I installed system76-scheduler to try and eliminate the lag in Gnome that I mentioned. So far so good, but I will let you know if it starts to lag again.
>>
I'm in the process of switching to Wayland and I have a question about protocols.

One of the benefits of wayland is that programs don't get access everything by default. That's great, but it means you need to work around it to do many things outside the compositor. I think this is solved by using "protocols" that let apps communicate with the compositor to ask for special access. So, for instance, a screenshot program would ask the compositor to "take_screenshot" and the compositor would return a picture of the desktop.

My question is: how are permissions enforced? For example if a wayland compositor implements the "take_screenshot" protocol, it does not mean any apps running in that session can take screenshots at their whim, right?
>>
>>102830516
Pretty sure it's by application and each application has to receive permission in some way
>>
>>102830061
Vulkan on cpu's with an integrated gpu only works properly on everything after skylake
Everything before that like haswell and sandy/ivybridge has no vulkan support at all
>>
>>102830585
>haswell and sandy/ivybridge
He said in the last decade
>>
>>102830516
>it does not mean any apps running in that session can take screenshots at their whim, right?
As far as i know, any program compiled with support for the protocol is allowed to take a screenshot
>>
>>102830597
Haswell is 2013
There's nothing wrong with any of those cpus and they work perfectly fine for 99% of most peoples needs, they just dont have vulkan support
Core2D is more understandable
>>
>>102830618
2013 is 11 years ago
a decade is 10 years
>>
>>102830604
Well, that sucks. I think I'll postpone the switch for another 5-10 years. I can't justify not having wmctrl and xdotool if it's going to be as insecure as xorg.
>>
>>102830597
Some of us are stuck on ivy bridge because we have the bad habit of suspending our laptops :/
>>
>>102830662
I'm on Wayland on KDE Plasma right now,a nd xdotool works perfectly fine. It first asks for permission (via a popup window), and if you click "share" (as opposed to "cancel") xdotool just works completely ootb.
I think the minimal security Wayland brings over Xorg is reason enought o use it, seeing as there's seemingly not drawback.
I have not yet tried wmctrl.
>>
>>102830694
Is suspend broken on cpus after ivybridge?
>>
>>102830643
Oh right, its not 2023 anymore... fuck..
>>
>>102830721
Not for me...?
>>
>>102830662
That's wrong though
Protocols go through the compositor which implements a permission system
>>
>>102830812
There's no permission system on sway or wlroots
>>
>>102830182
Use Wayland and all of this just works
>>
>>102830909
Then their permission system is "allow all" and you can simply use something else, no?
>>
>>102830662
He's incorrect. It depends on the compositor and how it chooses to enforce permissions. Wlroots compositors pretty much do not care about security at all, KDE's KWin has several privileged protocols and they're enforced by the .desktop entry, for example KDE's Spectacle has:
X-KDE-Wayland-Interfaces=org_kde_plasma_window_management,zkde_screencast_unstable_v1

Without this it'd be unable to use the zkde_screenshot_unstable_v1 protocol even if it were compiled into the app.
>>
>>102830502
Lagged. RIP.
>>
>>102829558
Bump. Any KDE experts? I did see custom mouse button mapping, but the moment I press the desired button (back), it hours to the previous menu instead of grabbing it.
>>
>>102831155
Wouldn't you have to unbind the existing keybind?
>>
>>102831201
Currently on Hyprland (and previously on Xorg) it worked directly. I hold the button, I can roll the ball in any direction to scroll there (super cool with zoomed in documents). I click the button, it acts as a regular mouse back button.
But I don't care if I have to unassign it. Don't really use it as the back key anyway.
>>
>>102831218
I don't know if KDE has this built in, maybe you'd have to do it with a custom script or something
>>
>>102830969
how are you supposed to run spectacle properly from the cli without the .desktop file?
>>
>>102822121
As predicted, solved it myself.

This is what the XML needed for raw disk access:
<disk type='block' device='disk'>
<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
<source dev='/dev/sda' index='1'/>
<target dev='sda' bus='sata'/>
</disk>

Had to do it through
virsh edit
since Cockpit validation doesn't seem to allow adding block devices like that.
>>
>>102831535
I think the desktop file just needs to exist
>>
>>102831545
>bus='sata'
yuck
>>
>>102831545
Cockpit is awful, theres another libvirt frontend called cutelyst that's more simpler than cockpit but it also has limitations on what you can set
>>
>>102831689
I quite like Cockpit. It's tidy, fully supported by Red Hat and provides just the right level of management/overview for my needs. I don't mind getting virsh out whenever I hit an edge case such as this one.

>>102831665
(You)
>>
>>102831748
I'm not telling you to go full autist and pin cpu cores to iothreads but you should at least use bus='virtio' so you don't have horrible performance.
>>
>>102831957
Already tried and it doesn't work. And I'm not noticing any performance issues.
>>
hey guys, do you advise me wayland with nvidia gpu? Im building my new pc, and I was wondering what to use
>>
>>102831985
it depends on how badly you want or need CUDA and nvenc/nvdec
if you don't need either of those, then you should always go AMD over nvidia
>>
>>102831985
If you're gonna use Wayland with a Nvidia card then use KDE.
>>
I'm downloading LibreOffice

Will I like it?
>>
>>102832051
It works, but straight MS Office is just a better suite.
But for a complete FOSS variant it's pretty good.
>>
I just got an old laptop from my dad (Samsung NP-N110). I'm considering using it to try out linux for the first time, any tips? Ideally I'd want to use it for old games/emulation, maybe some writing.
>>
>>102832011
yeah KDE and Wayland
>>
>>102832051
Hope you downloaded the flatpack version, compiling it from source takes forever.
>>
>>102832066
For me, it's Office 2021 LTSC set to ODF mode.
You get proper OOXML support, but all your ODF documents are fully compatible with things like LibreOffice.
>>
>>102832051
Remember that Libreoffice does not really replace MS Office. Also, docx files you save will likely be fucked up when opened by MS Office.
>>
>>102832131
Easy enough to probably just throw Linux Mint MATE on it. You can easily use emulators through Flatpaks.
>>
>>102832139
what kind of retarded false dichotomy is this?
>>
>enable zram
>my win11 VM starts bluescreening during boot
>disable zram
>it works
I'm not gonna question it
>>
KDE Plasma 6.2.1 <----- latest stable version
KDE Plasma 6.2.0
KDE Plasma 6.1.5
KDE Plasma 6.1.4
KDE Plasma 6.1.3
KDE Plasma 6.1.2
KDE Plasma 6.1.0
KDE Plasma 6.0.5
KDE Plasma 6.0.4
KDE Plasma 6.0.3
KDE Plasma 6.0.2
KDE Plasma 6.0.1
KDE Plasma 6.0.0
KDE Plasma 5.27.11 <----- Debian "Unstable" version
>>
>>102832198
Why is Debian like this?
>>
>>102832184
It literally takes around an hour on Gentoo.

t. gentoo user
>>
>>102832233
I left it running overnight on my system.
>>
>>102832203
It just is, ok?
>>
>>102832233
ah yes, the gentoo autist acting as if his own self-imposed problems apply to everyone else. classic.
>>
Hi /flg/,
a few days ago I started a system upgrade on my Debian 12/raspberry pi os. When I came back it was shut down. Looking at /var/log/apt.term.log and history.log they are both dated 11/11 - 21:22 but are 0 bytes. I assume the raspberry either lost power due to undervoltage (charging station wasn't correctly identified) or crashed during the update. There were two reboots at 21:17 followed by a "systemd-timesyncd[637]: System clock time unset or jumped backwards... restored to 21:22" message. I'm not that familiar with Linux administration, is there a way to verify installed packages?
>>
>>102832233
Not them but I also use the Flatpak. I don't want all of Libreoffice's dependencies and fucking Java on my base-system.

Put them in a single Flatpak I can easily delete in one go if I decide I don't want it anymore.
>>
>>102832344
It is worth pointing out that there's a libreoffice-bin but even so that's still going to pull all of the tons of runtime deps it needs.
>>
>>102832203
they kicked out the only devs who give a shit about kde on debian
>>
>>102832344
you can also just use distrobox for this over flatpak if you really want to, or any other type of alternative chroot
>>
>>102832319
Wew, someone has an insecurity complex. Let me guess, you use Ubuntu?
>>
Trying to run a .bat install process in WINE, getting
>Can't recognize '[...]' as an internal or external command, or batch script
during its run (looks to be in a for loop). If I'm understanding right, this means that it's calling Windows commands or scripting that WINE doesn't support. Is there something to be done (I've seen a comment about installing powershell in wine which I guess would help if its only scripting?) or should I just take it to a VM?
>>
debian is kill. abandon ship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH1qk_31dHc
fuck niggers, trannies, and kikes
>>
>>102832484
Anyone with any sense pulled the chain on the entire Debian fecalsystem 10 years ago.
>>
>>102832233
it depends on your cpu (and use flags)
on mine it's a bit faster;
>Average merge time: 46 minutes and 3 seconds.
>>
>>102832469
It just means there isn't a command with that name in PATH. Install the command with winetricks or stick it somewhere in PATH manually.
>>
>>102831535
This >>102831201

The compositor knows which .desktop file belongs to which executable even if you run it from the terminal
>>
>>102832420
I'm already using Flatpak for other apps. I might as well take advantage of runtime sharing (I know not everything is shared but still better than nothing)
>>
>>102832203
Canonical sabotagers with a Gnome hard-on.
>>
>>102832776
The newest Ubuntu ships Plasma 6.1.5, Lesbian has no one to blame but themselves
>>
>>102832896
Debian Sid/Experimental has 6.2. They should move to the testing repo already so it can actually be tested and ready for the next release. Nobody sane runs Sid/Experimental.
>>
>>102832066
>>102832163
Yeah I've had compatibility issues in the past so I'll just save my documents to PDF and then open them in Chrome to check they're okay

>>102832139
>>102832184
>>102832233
I just installed the deb from their website

>>102832459
Not him but I just Ubuntu because it just works
>>
File: 4k1t0q.jpg (32 KB, 500x541)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Right, three days and two bluetooth dongles later I finally have my steam controller connected over bluetooth and working.

On problem though, the mouse cursor doesn't show. Anyone know a fix for this?
>>
>>102833004
I don't know, but can I ask, is the Steam controller good? Those touchpads look like they'd take getting used to
>>
>>102833027
Not them but it was my favourite controller. I will forever hate Elgato for killing it
>>
>>102832949
Nobody who knows what they're doing uses testing. Debian only has one end user distro, and it's stable.
>>
>>102833027
Best controller for PC, the touchpads don't take that long to get used to though.

Also depends on what games you play, fighting and driving games not so good but for everything else it is perfect. Also the Dpad is shit if you are using it for an old game that uses the dpad for movement then you are better off with a PS pad.
>>
Is there some fundamental limitation that stops System Monitor from showing CPU and Memory usage of apps? Or is it just shit?
also
>a fully utilized core to do nothing
Great job, KDE!
>>
>>102832745
Well what it claims to not recognize is ')', ')else(', etc. Does the wine console expect different formatting or just not scripting? In any case, I don't intend to reformat a large script for which I can't verify success.
>>
>>102833049
On the contrary only people that know what they're doing use testing (ditto for Sid). It's a much better desktop system. Stale packages suck on a desktop. I'd only ever run Debian Stable on a server (not that I run Debian at all on any desktop. Gentoo is too good to me).
>>
>>102833067
It's the kernel. Use the processes tab instead, the applications tab gets its data from CGroups instead of polling.
>>
>>102832325
I was able to continue the package configuration and resume the upgrade by using the following commands:
> sudo apt-get -f install
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo apt-get install
> sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
>>
>>102833085
It's still a shit desktop because it has no fast track for security updates and the breakage policy is 'do what you feel'. Basically if you use Debian outside an ARM SBC you're retarded.
>>
>>102833133
An application can spin up multiple processes. I want to know an application's total memory consumption.
>>
File: 1710925623077639.jpg (477 KB, 1758x1104)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>102829558
I managed to fix everything except the tiling.
Is there any way to configure the overlay that you see when you hold shoft and drag the window? It looks like power toys on windows and there seems to be (another implementation?) a script on GitHub called Jones, but ive found nothing in the settings menu of Plasma 6.
>>
>>102833045
>>102833064
Interesting, maybe I should try one out
>>
>>102833224
Then that's exactly what CGroups are for. KDE is simply reporting those numbers and it updates when they do.
>>
>>102833265
>Is there any way to configure the overlay that you see when you hold shoft and drag the window?
Super + t
>>
>>102833377
Thanks, I'll try it out.
>>
>>102833377
Almost great, thanks!
Last thing to make me mostly satisfied: any way to kill the currently active windows with a shortcut? There is Meta+Ctrl+Escape, but it doesn't kill a window, instead turning cursing into a scull and bones, so you have to them click the windows with your mouse, which is just terrible.
>>
>>102833815
I don't think there is one (Besides Alt+F4)
>>
>>102833085
If your hardware is supported then Debian isn't much better or worse than other distros really. It's all the same shit in the end except for specific cases like Gentoo cause Systemd.
>>
>>102830726
anon, it's october
>>
>>102832469
it's a bat file, you can read it and do everything it does manually. (depending on how long it is)
>>
>>102834104
Damn, that sucks.
>>
>>102834401
I don't think it would be hard to write one at all. You just want a script that pkills whichever program is actively highlighted (prior to running the shortcut), right?
>>
>>102827942
This fork is nice
https://github.com/wildstar84/fauxdacious
Too bad it requires external Perl modules for the yt-dlp functionality
>>
>>102833068
No. Are you sure it works on normal Windows? It may assume certain files exist which don't in your wine prefix and end up creating syntactically incorrect statements. You need to inspect the pertinent lines like other Anon said. It's not like bat scripting is difficult to parse.
>>
ubuntu LTS on a raspberry pi 5 with an external SSD has been super comfy
>>
>>102828061
Fedora is the most stable choice
>>
>>102829441
I'm not aware of any specific improvements, try reducing animation
>Settings>Accessibility>Seeing>Reduce Animation
>>
>>102828061
Fedora is more likely to break after an update because akmods might fail to build the module. This doesn't happen with Arch, because "nvidia" and "nvidia-lts" are pre-built for their respective kernel.
>>
Question for you guys, I’m 18 so my generation mostly grew up using phones not computers. All I have is a Chromebook with Debian 12 on it but it runs super slow.

I want to eventually get a budget friendly windows laptop. When I do, what Linux distro do you guys recommend? One that preferably looks newer than Debian 12.
>>
>>102835061
Nevermind just saw there’s a link for “what Linux distro should I choose” sorry for asking the question when I didn’t need to
>>
Drag and dropping files into the browser is super slow for me. Like I have to hold them over the browser for a few seconds before it lets me drop them (well I can drop them sooner but it doesn't register it if I do). Anyone know what that's about? Running kde+wayland, browser is librewofl
>>
>>102835061
NixOS or Guix unironically
>>
>>102835203
>Drag and dropping
I haven't used that since the 90s
>>
File: 1713467900283312.png (37 KB, 256x256)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>102835203
>wayland
>drap and drop
>>
>>102835061
Fedora, Mint, or Ubuntu. Mint or Ubuntu would probably be easier to adapt to since you're already used to Debian.
>>
>>102834463
Yup, but I only know how to do that in Xorg.
>>
>>102835288
The file picker sucks (both the gtk and qt ones) so when I want to enter specific files I usually find them in dolphin and drag and drop them if it's an option.
>>
>>102835061
I don't care what distro you use, but get a laptop certified by Canonical or RedHat and you'll be able to run any of them.
>>
>>102833377
>Super + t
That is such an awkward chord.
>>
>>102836050
You can change it, it's 't' for tiling and also because it just so happened to be a free keybind. It turns out it's hard to set a default keybind for something.
>>
is it possible to do headless vnc with kde or gnome on wayland with their implementations the same way it can be done on wlroots with wayvnc?
>>
>>102834852
Is the SSD your boot drive? I was thinking of getting one of these to use a proper boot drive rather than a micro SD
>>
>>102836356
>made in UK
>Japanese text
erm, what?
>>
>>102836451
>pi moron i
>>
>>102835645
okay noted.
any decent laptops for under $200 maybe 250?
>>
Is there any way to select which monitor a fullscreen games goes into without changing my primary display? I'm running linux mint with x11, and one of my monitors is 4:3, I want to play older games on that monitor in fullscreen, but I have to change the primary display every time I do that.
>>
thoughts on VanillaOS?
>>
File: v3-1.jpg (1.73 MB, 4032x3024)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
what's the meta for linux experience on a tablet right now?
Microsoft Surface and yeet Fedora on it? Other options, maybe with (am)oled or just very good display?
I want to watch series and goon in my bed but also for (((media))) consumption/streaming and alongside my office setup.
>>
I don't know what they did. But somehow KDE have managed to make it so that after a couple seconds my cursor vanishes and ONLY ONE OF MY SCREENS gets slightly dimmer
And no. It is not the screen dimmer power manager setting
>>
>>102837141
ignore the "only one of" remark. That was on my end
They still clearly broke something though
>>
I know this sounds unbelievable but my Keychron K8 simply stopped working under Wayland like 2 months ago, is it KDE related? These keyboard settings are identical on both sessions
>>
>>102837266
dmesg logs for the keyboard
>>
>>102837266
Keyboards don't just stop working. It's either:
>The device is broken
>Recent kernel regression (try the LTS kernel or the latest one)
>Libinput bug
>>
>>102837387
>>102837266
Also you probably shouldn't wait 2 months to identify a problem. So much of your system has probably changed in that time.
>>
>>102837288
Looking at those logs I think it's loading the Apple HID driver. Since you don't have an Apple keyboard this is likely a bug.

I seem to remember somebody else having that problem before but I can't remember how they solved it. I think they might have blacklisted the driver.
>>
looking to dual boot my thinkpad x1 yoga gen 6. should be 3 major partitions, windows, arch, and a shared storage partition. What should my encryption scheme be? i'm thinking:
>BitLocker for Win
>LUKS for Arch
>Veracrypt for shared storage partition

also I've heard trying to enable secure boot with Arch on thinkpad x1's can brick the system, causing bootloop even if keys are generated and added to secureboot in BIOS. is this true?
>>
Are the mouse settings 1:1 between KDE Wayland and X11 sessions? I feel like my Wayland cursor is slightly heavier for some reason. Both are set to 0 or middle
>>
>>102835203
It's Wayland, that shit is not ready from prime time yet.
>>
>>102837035
If you just want a tablet get an android one. If you want a laptop and tablet I'd sooner recommend a 2in1 business laptop.
>>
>>102836508
used, sure
>>
Terminus font is broken.
>>
Is KDE just fucked rn? I want to use it instead of gnome, but I'm constantly reading about bugs here
>>
>>102838679
Haven't really had major issues with it.
>>
>>102838728
Alright I'll take your word for it. I tried modern Gnome and it still feels like a mobile DE to me, to a fault. Can you recommend between Kubuntu and Fedora KDE?
>>
>>102838932
Think I'm leaning Kubuntu though, nvidia drivers through fedora sound like more of a mess there
>>
>>102838932
Why not a distro that lets you choose?
>>
>>102829558
>Vulkan support even planned.
what
>>
>>102836356
i boot from my nvme drive
>>
File: screensaver settings.png (51 KB, 800x787)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>102827942
Is it possible to get a non-default screensaver in Mint Cinnamon? The screensaver settings page doesn't seem to let me select anything. I need some comfy 'savers, bros.
>>
Gonna dive into Arch, its about time
>>
>>102839083
I mean sure I could just install ubuntu or fedora and install KDE on top but I'd rather just run a distro where it's already set up smoothly out of the box.
>>
File: 1726837635453547.jpg (37 KB, 422x351)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>102827942
This thread has made my migration from Windows to Linux a lot easier over the past few months. Thanks, frens.
>>
>build new gayming pc
>install windows for the (supposedly) better performance and to avoid the linux hassle
>can't install new updates
>get BSOD because of some Windows fuckery with the nvme
>had to add registry entries to fix it
Serves me right. It's time to install some linux distro but can't choose one. A rolling release sounds like the best choice for gaming, so these two are the ones that seem more appealing to me
>Tumbleweed
Smug chameleon and yast, but not the latest nvidia drivers
>Arch (Endeavour)
Latest nvidia drivers but apparently very easy to break
Then there's the DE. KDE seems like the safest choice but I'm reading it has its issues with nvidia cards. It might be outdated info, though.
I'm no expert, but can manage the command prompt just fine.
>>
>>102839413
Consider starting with Mint. Arch is like jumping into the deep end before you know how to swim. And for gaming you can still install the latest wine/proton, so no real difference there. Literally just install Lutris or Heroic Games Launcher on any distro and you won't need anything else. Games will work.
>>
Anybody here can't tolerate windows anymore?
Every single of my client devices run some form of Linux (Debian for desktops, Kubuntu for laptops)
And I have some rules:
>If the device has OEM Windows, keep it and dual boot
>If the device is geared towards gaming then dual boot, boot Windows only for gaming
>If the device is geared towards server workloads then boot Linux only. If it has OEM Windows then backup Windows image and remove the partition
Unfortunately I'm so used to Linux that I can't use Windows anymore even though one of my laptops run noticeably better on Windows 10
>>
>>102839102
https://github.com/hyprwm/Hyprland/issues/1396
>>
>>102839413
mint or ubuntu. install nvidia drivers through the software manager, not the site, since I assume you have an nvidia card if you're a gamer.
>>
>>102839490
>If animations are too laggy for you, consider upgrading from that 10-year-old laptop
holy based
>>
>>102827942
So Anons, I'm the sperg from the last thread who mentioned Plasma slowing down when moving windows around, seems to all go wrong when Steam is installed.
HDR definitely slows it down but SDR was fine until Steam was installed now everything is laggy, I made sure to installed the correct libs for my AMD GPU but something is clearly wrong (again).
>>
>>102839655
Updated Kwin, lag is gone. Joys of Plasma.
>>
>>102839950
It really is. I just updated Arch to Qt 6.8 and Plasma 6.2.1 and now SDDM freezes on login.
Switched to lightdm and aside from a suspiciously long delay on the first login, I can actually get into a session now.
>>
File: R.png (22 KB, 355x331)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>102828092
>>
>>102840235
On xorg?
Just use ly, gui is bloat.
>>
>>102839306
What were the initial difficulties?
>>102839212
>diving into a regular binary distribution
It's not going to surprise you much.
>>102838008
>shared storage partition
For what exactly? I'd just use the Windows partition itself as shared storage.
If you want to heavily distrohop and monkey with the device, partition as follows:
>EFI system partition
>Windows + whatever extra partitions Windows made during install
>10-30 gigabytes for distribution A
>10-30 gigabytes for distribution B
>shared storage for Linux systems (for home directories and /usr/local and /var/cache/bluetooth for example)
>>
I have a (KVM/qemu) VM where I screw around with some stuff. I think there's some kind of shared-folder thing for accessing files on the host, or at least nowadays there is, but when I set this up I just made an isolated network and NFS mounted some stuff from the host. This worked fine.

Then today I noticed really slow disk access, even just opening up a file-manager program took like 20 seconds to list a moderately big directory that it normally displayed in under a second. Looked in htop, there was a bunch of CPU activity (in the kernel) doing this. I was low on memory in the VM, so I closed some stuff, didn't do anything. There was nothing suggestive in dmesg or syslog on either the VM or the host.

Then, not having any better ideas other than "reboot it", I unmounted and remounted the NFS shares on the VM. Now it works, everything is fast again.
My question is, wtf was this and why did it happen? Is it a virtualization thing or does NFS just get its panties in a know sometimes?
>>
updated yesterday and now when my monitor goes idle it does a sound notification like a usb being unplugged and plugged back in

very annoying because i fall asleep listening to audiobook and it goes BEEP BOOP BOOP BEEP really loud when the monitor turns off

monitor is on HDMI and has a USB but its power only and doesnt actually connect to computer

theres no option in system notifications that makes this sound i checked all of them. maybe has something to do with KDE 6.2? any ideas?
>>
Is it possible to run Affinity 2 on Linux?
>>
>>102840588
ok i found it under device plugged in/device unplugged and turned on pop-ups it says its display detected/display removed a display has been unplugged/plugged in

i just disabled sound and popup had to log out to get it to take effect but i would like it back for actual thumbdrives just not for displays if anyone has ideas
>>
>>102840973
You sure it's HDMI? That sounds like DisplayPort behavior.
>>
File: rx580linux.png (30 KB, 701x195)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
any way to make this gpu downclock itself when using youtube or 4chin?
>>
>>102835581
Why would it be different in Wayland? Pkill should still work.
>>
>>102828360
Bumping this.
not resolved.
should I just reinstall fedora?
everything else works.
I can literally plug it into my fedora machine with nothing, unplug it and plug it into my work windows and it sees it no problem.
>>
>>102841880
okay, have you tried with another distro?
you sure it's fat32 and not exfat?
>>
>>102842181
the windows properties says it's a fat32
>>
>>102842189
never trust windows
>>
>>102842192
I don't have another machine to check it on.
>>
>>102842201
Live environment?
>>
>>102827942
#sqt is on Rizon IRC now
>>
>>102841880
Can you see it in fdisk?
Can you lsbk and see it there?
Have you installed Linux firmware?
Are trying as root?

If you have another USB drive you can use try

https://www.system-rescue.org/

The boot into the live cd and use parted to delete the patitio on the USB and then reformat it in Fat32 or just do mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/*whatever USB is* in the terminal.

It might also have the wrong file system label. If you can see it in fdisk change the file system label by pressing t.
>>
>>102842550
>use parted
*Gparted
>>
>>102842310
Any recommendations for an e-reader? I wish I could get one with linux, but that doesnt seem possible at the moment, but I still need for it to work well with my linux latptop and calibre
>>
>Haven't used Linux in a decade
>Decide to give it a go, install Ubuntu 24.04
>Woah, Linux has come a long way
>Need a software that's only available via AppImage
>No problem
>Need FUSE to run AppImages
>sudo apt install fuse
>removed most of the gnome-desktop
>can't even boot the computer or get to TTY anymore
>>
>>102838223
Depends on the input driver used on X11. They're 1:1 if both are using libinput
>>
>>102842584
They are pretty shit performance wise, they aren't made to be powerful. Kindles just werk.
>>
>>102842618
That is very specific to Ubuntu, it has happened to me a few times before too. It appears to randomly commit sudoku when installing certain packages. No idea why it does that. But it has never happened to me in LMDE, it Just Works(TM) so that's what I use for daily work.
>>
>>102838517
It's nothing to do with Wayland. Drag and drop has been supported properly since its inception. They're probably seeing a bug in their browser.
>>
>>102842658
So I should give up on the pdfs pretty much and just use it for epubs?
>>
>>102842729
You can read pdfs on a kindle. Can't you just open them with a browser or a pdf reader on your computer? You could also read them on your phone.

The kobo readers have large screens and better pdf support. You can also convert a pdf to epub or vice versa.
>>
so if im building a linux gaming machine then nvidia should never be used over amd right?
>>
>>102842806
Nvidia works fine for me.
>>
>>102833004
Still looking for a fix if any one knows of one.
>>
>>102842796
Isnt kindle amazon spyware?
Of course I can read my pdfs on my computer, but that is just not good enough anymore I need to read a lot and I could benefit from a dedicated reading device such as an e-reader.
Im pretty much using a dumbphone now though, even I didnt, the phone is not good enough either, the screen is too small and I cant read under direct sunlight unless I increase brightness all the way up and that doesnt last long
>>
>>102842796
Do you recommend a particular Kobo Model? The thing is, I think some e-readers might have some issues reading some of my pdfs, or am I over reacting? I just opened one my big one and okular is taking 110 Mb ram? Thats isnt a lot right?
>>
>>102842939
>I think some e-readers might have some issues reading some of my pdfs, or am I over reacting?
This is the exact reason Calibre exists. You just convert it to whatever format works best (epub probably)
>>
>>102842939
Weird, this pdf, ont btop it tells me Okular is using 215M but on KDE system monitor it says 110, which do I believe? If it is 215 I think it would take most of the ram on some models.
>>102842952
It may sound like Im bitching a lot, because I guess I am, but I dont think the epub converstion would work well on some of these pdfs, they were scanned from a physical book, so I dont think there is technically text in the file even though for the most part it selects text well but not always
>>
>>102842814
I heard stuff like VRR and HDR are broken
>>
>>102833004
>>102842823
Found a possible fix for this
https://github.com/Supreeeme/extest

I've run
cargo build --release

but i'm getting this error
Compiling extest v1.0.2 (/home/xxxxx/.cargo/bin)

error: couldn't read src/some_other_file.rs: No such file or directory (os error 2)

error: could not compile `extest` (lib) due to 1 previous error

What the fuck is some_other_file.rs?
>>
Oddity with self-signed SSL certificates. I followed these guides
>https://www.arubacloud.com/tutorial/how-to-create-a-self-signed-ssl-certificate-on-ubuntu-18-04.aspx
>https://www.arubacloud.com/tutorial/how-to-enable-https-protocol-with-apache-2-on-ubuntu-20-04.aspx
in the hopes of enabling HTTPS for LAN-only IP addresses such as 10.0.0.200. After fixing some things, I saw that apache2 always errored when
>/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.conf
was enabled via
>$ sudo a2ensite default-ssl # disable: sudo a2dissite default-ssl

I created these two files via that guide:
>SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/private.key
>SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/certificate.crt
but in "default-ssl.conf" I saw some lines to a certificate I created months ago, so I commented out the newly-made ones and used the old one, which fixed it:
>SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/server.crt
>SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/server.key
Writing this, I see the problem:
SSLCertificateFile must point to .crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile must point to .key

I corrected that, but now see this:
>$ sudo systemctl restart apache2
>[ https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q87577919 ] Enter passphrase for SSL/TLS keys for 127.0.1.1:443 (RSA): ***
>Job for apache2.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
>See "systemctl status apache2.service" and "journalctl -xeu apache2.service" for details.
>$ # Switched back to old certificate

So for some reason the old cert works but the new one doesn't, and I don't remember exactly how I created the old one. This is this phenomenon: it works, but I don't know exactly how or why + it doesn't work and I don't know why. The older certificate didn't work to get HTTPS months ago, maybe because I never ran a2ensite/a2dissite due to following some stupid Windows guide for HTTPS via Apache server.
>>
Is Nobara a meme?
>>
>haven't done kernel programming for a few years
>hear about SCHED_EXT
>figure I come back and play with it a bit
>code compiles
>race conditions and deadlocks start springing up out of my asshole
fuck man, now I remember why I stopped doing this shit
>>
>>102843015
Calibre can make epubs that are basically just full page JPEGs but you should probably OCR those PDFs properly
>>
>>102843109
>x must point to y
When that wasn't correct I ran
>$ sudo apache2ctl configtest
which said:
>Syntax OK
I think it should have raised a warning that
>SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/private.key
>SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/certificate.crt
doesn't look right, so:
>Syntax OK
>[that] looks wrong
Also didn't see that from error messages in systemctl status / journalctl.

Eh, maybe not, perhaps that level of error/warning specification or checking is "hand-holding" or something. Anyways, why does the newer cert not work? Perhaps because when I ran one of these
>$ sudo openssl genrsa -aes128 -out private.key 2048
>$ sudo openssl req -new -days 365 -key private.key -out request.csr
>$ sudo openssl x509 -in request.csr -out certificate.crt -req -signkey private.key -days 365
I just pressed Enter a bunch of times when it was asking me for multiple fields like Country and Company name.
>>
>>102843174
If you fuck up a scheduler what did expect to happen?
>>
I'm trynna go full virgin mode on Linux once I'm in holidays. Go full Vim, WM, Ricing, etc.

Which distro should I delve into, Arch? Gentoo? NixOs?

Currently thinking of NixOS
>>
>>102843202
You can't easily rice NixOS, it's too structured and rigid. Something like Arch or Gentoo will give you a better time
>>
>>102843195
I just needed to vent, debugging this shit is despair-inducing.
>>
qt theming just broke completely again on kde apps on hyprland...at this point I have no clue why since the only solution to the problem was an aur package with fixes but that doesnt work anymore

if linux only had as good as file explorer as dolphin
>>
>>102843109
>>102843188
The positive thing to note here is that I finally have HTTPS working with LAN-only IPs, so I can go to
>https://10.0.0.222/cgi-bin/arc.sh?url=https://suno.com/song/3580153a-5fee-4115-83e6-338aa0154007
and after saying "yes trust this untrusted certificate" the page loads. While not the best solution, this does mean that encryption is happening so those communications through the LAN are no longer in cleartext or unencrypted.

In a previous thread, someone said you could like check the SSL key's fingerprint to see that no man-in-the-middle attack is happening. I wonder how to do that.
>>
>>102843257
>someone said you could like check the SSL key's fingerprint to see that no man-in-the-middle attack is happening. I wonder how to do that.
Click the padlock and then view the certificate
>>
>>102843272
I basically did that in Brave Browser, and I could see this:
>Common Name (CN) <Not Part Of Certificate>
>Organization (O) Internet Widgits Pty Ltd
>[...]
>Issued On Wednesday, June 26, 2024 at 9:46:01AM
>Expires On Saturday, June 26, 2027 at 9:46:01AM
>Certificate 9c5aaf9d[...]
>Public Key faa12227[...]

However, when using Safari Browser in an iShit, I see no option to look at Certificate details. Perhaps there's a way to get those details to show up directly in the webpage with Apache/CGI.
>>
>>102843323
>>Certificate 9c5aaf9d[...]
>>Public Key faa12227[...]
Those letters/numbers are the fingerprint. But yeah, on iShit they're not going to give you a way too see that.
>>
>>102843176
Ill check that out then, thanks
>>
>>102843202
arch
>>
Can any linux wizards provide some help?
My monitor goes into standby at boot time, meaning I am unable to see either the systemd fancy green letters loading up or enter my bios settings, and whenever I open a tty.
I think this is the result of a configuration on my motherboard
>msi b450-a promax
The configuration is about the wake up events, which I configured to be defined by OS instead of BIOS.
Now, since I am unable to enter BIOS settings anymore (screen goes in standby mode as I explained) in order to configure the wake up events back to their default settings, I am wondering how I can fix this.
So far I have disabled every power management setting to no avail.
The only thing left is removing the cmos battery of my mobo and hope it somehow return to its original state.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>102843590
This has nothing to do with Linux, pick a better thread for this kind of tech support next time.

Are you using a HDMI cable? In my dual monitor set up, only the display connected with DisplayPort would show BIOS.

Does your CPU have integrated graphics? You could try connecting a monitor directly to your motherboard and see if that's where the output gets initialised during boot. There should be a BIOS setting to force either the PCI or the integrated GPU to initialise first.
>>
I know Mint is great for noobs, but what's a noob friendly rolling release distro? Fedora?
>>
>>102843784
Fedora and Fedora-based distros are basically the closest you can get to an Ubuntu-like rolling experience.
>>
>>102843797
It's Ubuntu-like because it's not rolling (unless using Rawhide)

>>102843784
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
>>
>>102843819
>OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Tried it out on a VM a couple weeks back and it gave me a headache with the Nvidia drivers
>>102843797
I'll try Nobara out.
>>
>>102843987
Nobara basically became Fedora's Mint with the amount of tweaking GloriousEggroll did to it. You should have a good time with it.
>>
>>102838932
Kubuntu I guess. If you're just taking it for a trial run you can try KDE neon, which is KDE's own distro based on ubuntu
>>
>>102843784
>>102843797
Fedora is not rolling release.
>>
>>102843590
Do you have fast boot enabled? Might be why.

Remove the CMOS battery, turn on your computer, let it boot then swithch off. Replace the battery, enter the bios and make sure fast boot is disabled or set to low.
>>
>>102839605
My 10+ year old sandybridge laptop has no laggy animation issues under hyprland
>>
BTRFS or EXT4 on a m.2 sata/nvme SSD?
>>
>>102844214
>sata
btrfs with compression
>nvme
xfs
>>
>>102844012
It's quasi-rolling. Certain big ticket items only change on major releases, but they end up moving about the same speed as Arch.
>>
Anyone else here using Chrome OS with the Debian container? How is it going? Previously, Linux apps would freeze and I would have to force close them after some time. But, disabling Android seems to have helped.
>>
Can I just dd /dev/sdx to /dev/sdy to avoid re-installing and setting up?
>>
>>102844444
Fedora being leading edge does not make it rolling release.
>>
File: 1615371265300.jpg (128 KB, 1080x1350)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Anyone having issues with
https://github.com/woodruffw/ff2mpv
with firefox?
I can play the video just fine with mpv, but using this add-on fail for some reason.
BTW I can use the addon for opening direct links.
So I don't know why it fails in the first place.
mpv/yt-dlp/firefox are all up to date.
I even used the same arguments that ff2mpv uses.
>>
>>102844820
The vast majority of packages in Fedora change on a rolling basis though.
>>
whats the best distro for actually doing work instead of the weird show-boating that goes on here
>>
>>102845225
The number of non-core packages is irrelevant. Core packages maintain a fixed ABI/API throughout the release. New subsystems do not get added throughout the release. EOL releases do not keep getting updates "on a rolling basis". Fedora is not a rolling release distro.
>>
>>102845376
macOS
>>
>>102845385
Yes spacky, that's where the term 'quasi-rolling' comes from. It's not rolling release but it's not Debian either. Some ABIs change, just not "core" ABIs for some RedHat employee's definition of "core".
>>
>>102845376
literally any distro if you know how to get the software you need for work silly goose
>>
>>102845376
What does your work consist of? In most cases distribution does not matter but if, for example, your job consists of managing Red Hat servers then you should probably run Fedora on your laptop/desktop to align with that. Same for Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, etc. Use the respective distro that lines up best with your work.
>>
>>102844784
yes it's possible but it depends on the size between the two drives and whichever filesystem you're using
>>
EndevousOS or Mint for gaming.
>>
>>102845933
Endeavour, unless you really want to use Mint for some reason.
>>
What is the best OCR for Linux PDF's? I use a scanner that has its own optional software with OCR and it is way WAY better than any OCR I have ever seen but it is not for Linux.
>>
>>102846016
Tesseract

https://tesseract-ocr.github.io/tessdoc/Command-Line-Usage.html#simplest-invocation-to-ocr-an-image
>>
File: 026.jpg (22 KB, 360x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>102827942
>distrohopping constantly for months, looking for the perfect linux distro for my i7 quad core T430
>Tried Archlinux, Debian, Xubuntu, LMDE, Endeavour, Mint, Crunchbang++, PopOS, Lubuntu
>Tried gnome, kde, lxde, lxqt, xfce, openbox
I'll stay with Mint XFCE bros, it's the perfect balance for me
>>
>>102846040
I will try this. Thank you senpai.

>>102846258
Just be glad you found a distro and desktop you like instead of autistically reinstalling every month for years like some of us.
>>
Kde 6, Wayland, nvidia card 3090. Yay or nay?
Also, I heard VRR over hdmi works on nvidia cards, is that true?
>>
Does KDE come with a bunch of extra apps I won't use like gnome does? I don't wanna spend the first 3 hours of my setup uninstalling stuff.
Also I'm not really sure what distro to get. I've love debian but I wan't new stuff, i use all the red hats at work and don't like them very much and I've had arch in the past but it's too complicated for daily use. I just wanna switch from win11 to something comfy
>>
>>102846902
Yes, it has about the same. Gnome has a light version without all the apps, not sure if KDE does though.
>>
>>102846902
It usually comes with stuff like dolphin, konsole, the system monitor, and other system management stuff like that. Oh and kwrite and/or kate. Maybe some distros package it differently but I haven't experienced it. There's a shitload of apps in the kde "family" but most aren't installed.
>>
Is there any way to get Vsync on MPV on X11 KDE with the Compositor disabled? The tearing is killing me.
Wayland works but I feel the performance hit, I have a 1.8ghz dual core celeron.
>>
What's the state of HDR on linux?
I love using it on gay mes.
>>
>>102843215
wdym NixOS is easier to rice than any other distro. you can use home-mananger and literally bake your dotfiles into the system configuration.
once you’re semi-capable at nix you can do a lot
>>
>>102847227
It seems like kde 6 and gnome whatever are "just about there"
>>
>>102847447
What's the advantage over doing something like "git init ~/.config"?
>>
>>102847447
It still has its limits. I've asked before how you change things like the init system and libc, etc, and nobody seems to know how. The best answer I've gotten is that "It should be possible to do these things if you make a fork of Nix to make it do them"

Arch and Gentoo are just better. They don't get in your way
>>
>>102847703
>>102847447
Also how does the boot work in distros like Nix or Guix? I've never gotten a clear answer there either.

If I want to support some sort of custom way of booting or a new boot manager of some sort what needs to be done to make it work?
>>
>>102843202
nixos or guix blow other distros out of the water. especially if you have the time/desire to sit down and learn something.
the cool thing about them is you’re building upon a configuration file as you go. so you’ll have a written record of what you’re doing that can be commented with notes as needed.
there’s a lot of other useful advantages for a new learner too like rollbacks, the ability to version control your config, and the fact that if your config file has errors it wont compile when you go to rebuild makes them very hard to break even if you tinker a lot.
>>102847480
the advantage is you can manage a lot more from your home profile than with a dotfiles folder and some symlinks.
your home config can install packages, setup services, and create your dotfiles all from a single command. all abstracted through one configuration language, so if something changes with how exactly a package is configured manually that won’t matter because it’s now the job of nix not you to do that. you simply say what you need and let the package manager figure out how to apply it.
this applies to system configs too which setup filesystems, bootloaders, and other things outside then scope of the ~/.
>>
>>102847730
i’m not sure of the question. custom in what way specifically?
the bootloader is configurable in both nix and guix. afaik guix only supports grub but nix you have some options.
>>
>>102847830
EFI stub kernel with no initramfs or custom kernel build with my own custom initramfs. Hard mode: I don't want to change anything about these two things so it shouldn't involve writing some sort of Nix derivation.

Normal distro:
>Mount filesystem
>Switch route
>Exec /sbin/init

What needs to be done to mount and boot a Nix system?
>>
>>102847855
i’m not sure efistub would be desirable given how nixos uses the bootloader to list previous generations.
i’m also not sure what you mean by
>shouldn't involve writing some sort of Nix derivation.
you will be writing nix and creating derivations to do pretty much everything if you plan to use nixos.
>>
Anyone installed this on Gentoo?
Trying to emerge it but it isn't finding the package.

Not working

emerge cosmic-meta pop-theme-meta -pv 

https://github.com/fsvm88/cosmic-overlay/blob/main/README.md
>>
>>102847970
That's exactly why it's not suitable for ricing. I already have a custom kernel and initramfs and it already works.

NixOS expects too much from its users to change things like this. It's fine if you want that level of rigidness, strictness and correctness but I would expect that wouldn't be the case for most ricers. Certain things I can do with Gentoo (like using different init systems or its support for different libcs like Musl) are just straight up impossible to do with Nix unless you want to fork the entire thing and do the work yourself.
>>
>>102847743
Okay, so you just specify what you want in a declarative way and Nix figures it out for you. Sounds like magic. In total, how much time would you estimate Nix has saved you by doing that work for you?
>>
>>102848209
>In total, how much time would you estimate Nix has saved you by doing that work for you?
They have no idea because Nix users never do anything for themselves. Their entire view is that Nix is correct and everything else is broken.
>>
Wonder if its faster and easier to either learn ansible or to just write my own equivalent in bash/sh
>>
>>102848209
i mean whatever time i saved i probably lost learning nix and then guile/guix lol. but you save time in the future because once you solve a problem it's fixed forever. if you get a new computer or upgrade storage and need to do a fresh install it's as easy as copying your config older. with nix flakes you could even update/reconfigure your system directly from a remote git repo without even cloning it. your config is reusable and can even be modular so multiple computers can work off the same configuration. so you can have a laptop and desktop that are functionally identical except for their filesystem layout and maybe the laptop has bluetooth.
that was the draw for me. i come from using arch/void back and forth for years. i always found it difficult to keep all the changes i made to my system overtime in my head. what defaults have i changed? which packages are part of the base system and which have i added? what does x package even do? where does x package even store it's config again? will an update conflict with something i've changed?

with nix/guix you can forget all that. every tweak no matter how little is in my config file, everything that's not obivious is commented. and everytime i reconfigure my system it creates a new derivation with all those things applied, so nothing ever conflicts or gets overwritten.
plus if for example you're using sway and want to try hyprland or something you just change your config, reconfigure the system, and if you don't like it or don't get it working you can just undo those changes and go back to sway. keeping your last working configuration in a git repo is great for this.
>>
>>102843998
No kidding. I've just installed it and played DD2 with just the same issues as on Windows. It's refreshing to have an OS that genuinely makes my life easier and doesn't get on my way. Only problem I've had so far is Chromium acting funny when not full screened, but it's pretty menial and if I can't fix it, I can always install another browser.
>>
I started with a Debian minimal install and put together a basic desktop environment with i3. After using it for a while, I still want to keep to repositories as much as possible and stay "stable" in the critical aspects but now see that not being rolling otherwise is kinda obnoxious, which I guess means Fedora? I also think I should move to a prepared DE so I can benefit from config menus instead of having to hunt down each command and file to do anything, but I still want to avoid "muh bloat." What do there? Would it be fairly simple to rip a DE apart, replacing things and removing others without breaking it? How much would I be sifting through?
>>
What's the best way to update the firmware on SSDs?
>>
>>102849215
Boot into Windows and use the manufacturer's shitware.
>>
>>102849264
What if I'm heterosexual?
>>
Anybody here knows some libre project management thing that isn't redmine?
>>
>>102849278
Boot into Windows and use the manufacturer's shitware, then reboot into Linux.
>>
>>102849306
What if I am also a Northern European man?
>>
>>102849314
Use a Windows VM, PCIe passthrough the SSD/controller, and use the manufacturer's shitware.
Seriously, don't get clever with firmware updates if the manufacturer only supports Windows.
>>
>>102849362
Not the anon but I'm interested. What if they do?

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/vendors
>>
>>102849409
What if they do what?
>>
>>102849430
What if they support Linux.

There's a bunch of vendors like Samsung and WD in that link.
>>
how do I get spek (the spectrum analyser) working on nobara Linux?
>>
>>102849053
If you really wanted to, you could just keep the debian base and then just run a whole different desktop through distrobox
>>
>>102849482
Then just use it. Jesus christ, what is difficult about this.
>>
>>102849499
How does distrobox handle that? Do you not have that whole other userland running instead of the Debian base?

I imagine it'd be something like this, no?
>Start Plasma in Distrobox
>Open Konsole
>Wtf, I'm not in Debian anymore!

Does distrobox have a way to shell back to the Debian base from within it or would you need to run something like SSH?
>>
>>102846902
>Does KDE come with a bunch of extra apps I won't use
Distro packaging issue.
>>
>>102846902
Arch or KDE Neon (if you'd like a more stable base), neither come with a bunch of extra KDE apps. You'd have to manually install what you want (KDE Neon does come with a few useful apps pre-installed though but not the entire suite of KDE like some retarded distros ship).
>>
>>102844997
>BTW I can use the addon for opening direct links.
then what exactly is the issue you're having? did you install the native host correctly?
>>
>>102849215
Some of them are supported by fwupd. Most of the rest should provide a DOS updater to use with FreeDOS. It's pretty rare for SSDs to actually require Windows.
>>
File: 1729118788533.jpg (85 KB, 753x707)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
I think I fucked up.
I asked my ISP to give me a static IP and change their router/modems to bridge mode so I can control the settings from my OpenWRT router. It's working well except connection is slow as fuck know, like pages take 30 seconds to start loading even on hard wire connection. Any OpenWRT wizard here that have an idea of what could be going on here?
>>
>>102851082
>modems
Modem*
>slow as fuck know
Now*
Phoneposting because I can't post from my desktop.
>>
>>102851082
Sounds like a hardware problem. Did the router work normally with the OEM firmware?
>>
>>102851212
Yes, I've been using this router for over a year without any problems. I actually changed ISPs recently because I wanted a static IP, that's when the problems began. Even before putting in bridge mode I was having trouble with it, actually.
>>
New thread:
>>102851523

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.