[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: columbus-spirit.jpg (31 KB, 635x432)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Columbus Spirit edition.

Resources:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

Old thread
>>1988691
>>
File: 1317772203001.jpg (8 KB, 250x187)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Unpopular opinion: people make too much out of this material is better than that material. All common materials make good frames, and your choice of frame is by far the least important question when it comes to quality of life on a potential future bike. For most use cases it matters far less than you think. Especially for those of you who think you're repairing your gas pipe frame using sardine cans, neem sticks, and a cigarette lighter in the middle of the Thar Desert. Fight me.
>>
>>1991219
I feel very depressed today after finding out a bike influencer guy had his foot completely crushed by a car.
>>
>>1991222
either 10k carbon bikes or lycra must posess some sort of magic because i keep getting passed by these hobbyists on my commute
>>
>>1991224
Selection bias. Normies have been propagandized against carbon and think it's super duper cheat code for fast that will assplode and kill you if you don't give it a hand job and whisper sweet nothings into the voids each night, so the only people who willingly buy it are autists obsessed with speed who were already doing everything else to go faster already and think it's the "no-compromise" option.
>>
>>1991222
>>1991224
Explain why Surly bikes are so fucking heavy compared to steel bikes from Ritchey or even Bombtrack.
>>
>>1991222
For the average person sure, it probably doesnt make a real difference. I biked across central asia to honkong on a steel frame and the repairs, though few I had to make were very simple and could be accessed even in small town because of my material choice
>>
>>1991227
because if you can afford a ritchey frame you can probably afford wheels that don't suck, a groupset that doesn't suck, a seatpost that doesn't suck.... get the picture?
>>
>>1991227
Surly intentionally builds bikes at 200% the necessary durability level
>>
Are these the limit screws ?

My rd doesn’t seem to have them where they typically are. A little confused
>>
>>1991232
Does the derailleur hit the ends of the screws when fully pushed inwards or outwards? If yes then that’s what they are
>>
>>1991233
I’ll check. One of them is stripped so I can’t turn it unfortunately
>>
>>1991232
Maybe just get a guid book
>>
>>1991232
yes they are limit screws
they can be pretty much anywhere on the parallelogram plate
>>
>>1991232
what are you trying to break now
also have you considered cleaning your bike
>>
>>1991219
What is the fastest you've ever descended on a bike?

Back when I had a cycling computer (a magnet one) I hit 60 mph as a 13 year going on a roadie group ride with a bunch of experienced riders. Probably the most terrifying thing I'd done in my life up to that point. Don't use strava or a computer anymore so idk if I've since beat that speed.
>>
>>1991259
No idea since I don't use a computer. Fast enough that I sometimes think "what would happen if my tire blows out" and then I think, "oh, I am fucked".

>>1991222
yes
>>
>>1991259
39mph with a real computer
>>
File: Screenshot_49.jpg (9 KB, 382x67)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1991259
only 60mph...? heh...

not, but never more than 40mph as shown when i had a bike computer and not for more than minute or so. this was via gps and not an ant sensor so who really knows. i live in a very flat area.
>>
Could probably hit 50 in my area (35mph speed limit mountaintop road, straight section). Anybody who claims 50mph+ should easily be able to post the hill where they did it
>>
>>1991259
like 53kph
>>
I want to do a full speed downhill road run on my new road bike but I don’t road bike at all and I’m scared of the 25mm tires rolling into several grains of sand on the road and then I subsequently die. Should I just put on every piece of mountain biker power ranger armor and go for it? Or is there some kind of technique progression for top speed road biking? Should I wait for some kind of roadway maintenance/cleaning?
>>
>>1991267
Newer road bikes can take 32mm+ tires.
>>
>>1991268
So should I just scrap the idea of pushing the carbon 2011 bike to its limits and stick with the steel gravel then? Not that I’m opposed to it, the pure road bike really isn’t all that, I just wanted to see how fast a real road bike can go
>>
>>1991267
Just be smart and scope out the road/bike path before you send it. I would only be worried if there were sharp corners and sand+you couldn't avoid it.

What I do is go flat backed/aero position with my feet in 3/9 on the cranks and hands in the drops. Lower I am the more stable it seems
>>
>>1991267
Based on the way your post reads, my suggestion is that you really need to practice countersteering deliberately and gradually work your way up to going faster on the bike. If you can, ride with other people too - you can learn a lot riding behind someone who's a good descender and seeing how they pick a line, when they brake, etc. If you're not ready, don't take chances, because having a death grip on your bars or slamming on your brakes because you're in a panic are things that will make you crash for sure.
>>
>>1991260
Yeah, I worry about that too. Surprise pot holes/gravel are a real issue in my area too...
>>1991261
>>1991262
Realistically I probably didn't go much past 50

>>1991267
Just lean into it, the centrifugal force keeps you pretty glued to the ground while going fast. Brake around corners, use progressive braking (this is a motorcycle thing, riding at those speeds motorcycle skills come in handy).

>>1991269
Just bombed a 2k foot decent on my 80s road bike, why worry.
>>
>>1991271
I know how to ride a bike and I definitely know how to ride a bike down a mountain I’ve just never ridden a road bike or used tires so small, even the 32’s feel like they could be defeated by a stray pebble let alone the 25’s on the synapse
>>
>>1991269
that bike looks sick, stop thinking about optimization and just ride
>>
>>1991259
65-ish. Was supertucking on a 1985 Miyata Pro, shit was wicked.Ggetting out of the tuck was hard because of the air pressure pressing down on me. Also have done 60+ on other bikes. One was really scary because I went in blind, had no idea if I was going to hit a gravel section or a pothole, and one was really bad because I had the sun in my eyes. I should be dead
>>
>>1991259
For a prologed period? I averaged about 40kph over 10km, once, from a rather high mountain descent, in europe (oh you've never been? it's so much more civilized, I went there on vacation and now I won't shut the fuck up about it even though you didn't ask, it's so much more civilized and did you know there's no tipping? oh oh and also (tldr))

At all, ever? I just barely touched 69kph once, in manhattan. Not smart, do not do this kids. I've gotten much more cautious since then, in part due to some incidents I will not mention.

Note that although I have to translate the numbers with a calculator, I am performatively using the metric system because I am a Real Cyclist™ and it shows I am so much better than you. I also say "pa-rheee" and "milaaanoh" in ridiculous, exaggerated accents in the middle of a normal english sentence, because I need to show how sophisticated I am.

t. nimby boomer cagetroll illegal voter who doesn't know what's in my interests
>>
Is there a way to get GPS guidance at street level on a fenix 7? The standard navigation is unusable on a bike.
>>
>>1991299
GPS head units exist and they are much cheaper than your triathlon watch
>>
>>1991300
I have the watch already, the point is to avoid buying a separate gadget
>>
>>1991301
No, you must buy the head unit. Don't you want to be cool? All the cool people are doing it
>>
>>1991299
ok maybe i'm out of touch and poor but why would you want a gps unit in your watch over having a dedicated head unit with a map display?
>>
>>1991222
This post was written by a Carbon fag who actually hates steel bikes. Carbon is not a suitable material for the average cyclist. If you've paid for a carbon bike then you've made a mistake and no amount of mental gymnastics will change that. Sorry.
>>
>>1991307
if you have a steel bike, you either

1. have a steel fork because it's a garbage shitter, or
2. have a carbon fork because the people who know how to make a good steel frame know even the best steel fork is garbage compared to an entry level carbon fork

so which is it?
>>
>>1991306
Because I have the watch already and I've been using it as a very decent computer on the bar on known routes, but when alone on a ride I find it's guidance capabilities lacking.
>>
>>1991308
>Carbon isn't suitable for the average cyclist
>if you don't have a carbon bike you're poor and bad

See? You will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: "I've been found out".
>>
>>1991311
so completely btfo he falls back on weird /pol/ memes about jews, case closed
>>
What is the best way to pick up another bike...with your bike?
>>
File: 1713081525173477.jpg (27 KB, 460x611)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1991316
Bikes don't want to be approached like the whole world is a pickup spot. That's why they have the big headphones on. Make a bikr app like everyone else and stop being a creep. And remember, only message that cute step-thru if you have 160mm rotors or larger. Bikes want a bike that makes them feel safe. Not some brakelet cuck that probably needs kool-stop to work properly.
>>
How do I make my MTB more comfortable? I want a more upright position akin to the old geometries of the 90s 26" opposed to modern xc where you are in a very aggressive position (forcing me to pull back my neck to properly see traffic).
It's some 27.5 cube MTB, all I know is I bought it for 400 euro and the dude that sold me the bike is as tall as me

Picrel
>>
>>1991247
Cut me some slack. Just cleaned it.

I’m just trying to get the rd to work better. But it seems like a lot of the screws are so stripped I can barely adjust it,
>>
>>1991269
barring bumpy road or sand/loose surface, all you need is practice and confidence. straight downhill, just send it and get aero when you spin out your top gear. cornering is tricky/fun. start your line wide and set speed by braking just enough to keep the line. lean over like a motherfucker and once your line and speed are set you can lay off the brake and just lean. set outside pedal to 6 and inside to 12. stick your inside knee out and down as far as it can go, this stabilizes you, I guess it shifts your COG. I assume you've seen the motorcycle racers on tv. be like them.
from the wide start, see if you can tighten the arc more towards the inside of the lane. the lean and knee thing should facilitate this, the more you steer inward, lean, and stick your knee out, the faster you can corner. if you see the line you need is contaminated, don't do any of this, just slow down and steer around the bad stuff.
if you're already in your line and see something in your line or get sketched out, don't panic, just steer your line wide again, quit leaning and bring your knee up. these things all flow together and doing one will facilitate the others.
you just need practice.
>>
How many of you have ever gone bicycling while high? I just went out for a 16 mile ride around town while blazed and listening to music. It was extremely cash money as the kids say. Honestly I haven't had so much fun in a while and saw so many smoking hot baddies at the park it was ridic.
>>
File: 1711299812560023.jpg (179 KB, 1075x1352)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
I have an extra 105 groupset laying around and most likely enough parts in the parts bin to put together a n + 1 bike. Looking for a "gravel" type that can take the 105 group that will be good for commuting and if I need to lend a friend a bike for a group ride or something. So still fast-ish, but speed isnt the top priority.

Looking at framesets like a Surly Midnight Special or a Lynskey GR300. Both with something like an ENVE Adventure fork. Any other sub $1500ish framesets that Im overlooking?
>>
>>1991346
Are you me? Getting an Origine Trail frame.
>>
>>1991332
swept back bars
>>
>>1991332
IF it's at least close to the right frame size for you, you could try different bars or a stem with more rise.
>>
>>1991346
how the hell are those eve comparable?
>>
>>1991358
Both drop bar gravel bikes with pretty much the same tire clearance and only ~$400 difference? Yeah not even remotely the same
>>
>>1991346
lol does bike media use salmon screens instead of green screens because of the UCI stripes
>>
>>1991359
I didn't think lynskeys were that cheap, what's going on with those prices? Are all their customers leaving them for the chinese stuff?
>>
>>1991332
it kind of depends on the length of your arms and torso
newer MTBs have farely wide handle bars (26 inches wide)
fitting narrower bars (18 to 20 inches wide) can have you sitting more upright
16 inch wide bars are still somewhat usable

there is also the bar shape, but this is a bit convoluted
>flat bar
least complex to fit, is the best off road due to allowing a loose grip
>bull moose bar
farely wide, nice amount of sweep back, still plenty of flat space for fitting accessory's, fitted to old ATBs
>Nitto B302AA North Road
wide but offers some narrower stance, sweep back comfort depends on handle bar rotation, lots of curves, far less brake and gear lever position options, mostly on city bikes
>Nitto Albatross
more sweep back, more grip positions and room for brakes and shifters, less clearance for legs (your knees/thighs are getting closer to the bar)

important note is that the larger and taller handle bars are not so good for hill climbing, they flex a bit and place much stress on the Stem
>>
>>1991367
Their new GR400's are close to 3k so I guess they're just trying to liquidate the old 300? Still seems too cheap to me
>>
>>1991371
when you add the enve fork it's a little closer to what I'd expect to pay but still pretty cheap
>>
>>1991370
just to add: you can get a northroads bar from every manufacturer, it's just the name of the style, not a brand name. some companies' version is called something else but it's a northroads. I got a steel one from sunlite for $20. someone makes a reasonably cheap alu one. if you buy nitto it's $$$
>>
>>1991267
>I want to run but I'm not going to figure out walking entirely first
>>
>>1991267
yeah that's how you end up with a broken collar bone or worse. just take it easy, and do the downhill run every day for a while, imagine you'll have to spend $50,000 if you crash, since you seem to have no sense of self preservation at least money might be a motivator
>>
File: 6561726727_3852567b8c_o.jpg (325 KB, 1109x1419)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>1991376
ye the names are applied very loosely lol
I went though a bunch of china cheep bars just to try out the different shapes
and even then some of the vintage shapes are not available
>>
>>1991381
I think he is concern trolling.
>>
>>1991384
I'm not sure you know what that term means
>>
what is a brooks saddle supposed to feel like when it "breaks in"? put like 70mi on it and it feels comfy idk. does it just get more flexible? i mean it's pretty compliant out of the box. or is it like when people say doc martens are the worst thing evar to break it but in reality it's a non-issue?
>>
I think you're misunderstanding the way it applies but your concern is heard; I'm not about to get into semantics about it so I'll phrase it less ambiguously
Anon's post is basically "wow my new road bike!!1!1
You guys think my pretend moto gear for my hobby will save me if I do something incredibly retarded in an environment I haven't spent any time with and recklessly endanger myself and potentially others for the lulz lol"
Hope that clears it up for ya
>>
>>1991387
The docs comparison is pretty apt. Depends on which brooks, some have nicer cuts than others depending on what you appreciate
>>
>>1991389
it's a b17 narrow, dunno if that makes any difference being that it has less surface area than a regular b17.
>>
>>1991308
Neither.
>>
>>1991408
looks like (1) to me
>>
has anyone tried dripping molten wax directly onto the chain like a drip lube? it has a relatively low melting point so you could melt it in a dripper bottle placed in boiling water. curious if this would work. would be much cheaper than a wax emulsion lube like squirt.
>>
How do I stop my elbows from hurting from cycling?
Should I move my seat closer or further?
My elbows are locked sometimes but I have foldie so I can't bend forward too much.
>>
>>1991419
Most cheapo dudes just do hot wax with candle in a pot.
I suspect it's easier to do the whole chain at once instead of burning the wax and laying it on but it should work fine. I think most drip on wax lubes use a carrier oil that's can evaporate so the wax gets inside the chain better.
>>1991421
>My elbows are locked sometimes but I have foldie so I can't bend forward too much.
When I ride my elbows are almost never locked. The issue is when you lock them and hit a bump it goes directly into your elbows, where as unlocked your elbows flex and you absorb the impact into your muscles+body instead.

What does it feel like? Are the bars too low so you have to lock them to push yourself up? Are the bars to far away so you lock them to sit back?
Moving the seat forward can help if the bars are too far away, but it changes your knee location when pedaling that can cause pain for certain people.
If the bars are too low I would temporarily lower the seat, then get riser bars or extend the bars up somehow.
>>
File: 1696551899757194.png (870 KB, 1200x1813)
870 KB
870 KB PNG
>>1991422
I have the S type but even the model looks like xhe has xer arms straightened?
I can't not lock or semi lock my elbows without leaning forward and you can't do that on a foldable.
>>
>>1991423
>I can't not lock or semi lock my elbows without leaning forward and you can't do that on a foldable.
Is the bike going to collapse if you do that?

I am talking a slight bend in the elbows, is all you need.

DESU I don't know much about folders, but on regular bikes you would raise the bars up.
>>
>>1991424
No I just can't balance properly if I don't lock my arms?
>>
>>1991425
All that happens is you lean forward more, and you use more core+tricep+low back to hold yourself up.
Just try it for a ride and if it's sketch go back to what you were doing before.
>>
>>1991422
>Most cheapo dudes just do hot wax with candle in a pot.
>>1991419
yeah just do this. 500g of paraffin is like five bucks, and a tiny slow cooker is like 8 or you could just find one in a thrift store.

also mariposa flower power is a wax emulsion lube that's like 20 bucks per bottle iirc.
>>
What's a good cheap bike camera?
I'm going to bike tour soon and wanted to record the tour.
>>
>>1991429
older gopro with lots of sd cards and batteries i suppose, thnk you can get a hero 5 for under $100.
>>
>>1991267
If you have to ask all these questions the last thing you should do is bomb down a hill dawg.

Go ride normal hills first and build up confidence
>>
File: goprosetup.jpg (185 KB, 921x1229)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>1991429
I want to share some of the details of my setup. It's not exactly cheap but for what it is, it's relatively cheap because it was sold as open box return so I got a gopro 11 for $200. I added a usb pass through door, 256gb sd, 20k mah battery, backpack strap, and max lens mod. At 2.7k 60fps 50-60mbps (standard bitrate, not high) the 256gb sd can hold about 8 hours of video which burns about 75% of the battery. The lens mod reduces the quality of the video significantly but frames a more interesting perspective and give the illusion of speed after lens corrected in post. Speaking of lens correction, I use gyroflow for post processing, lens correcting, cropping, merging, stabilizing, and horizon leveling. Anyways, I have it more for insurance if shit happens to me on a delivery but it's also a fun toy to capture the every day things. It took me about two months of messing with my setup to get it about right, I ran the numbers so you don't have to. A lot more time was spent messing with the video settings and gyroflow. My webms are in /drt/ but here's one sample video on youtube
https://youtu.be/vD1IcZIvba8
youtube tanks the bitrate though and I already post processed it plus my lens is dirty and I know my chain is noisy, new sprocket is still in the mail.

The other thing I didn't mention and is a whole setup in itself, is the video storage and editing rig. I don't have nearly enough space for all the videos I'm capturing now.
>>
>>1991436
>8 hours of video which burns about 75% of the battery.
75% of the 20k mah battery pack's battery btw. The gopro 11's stock battery is so garbage you'll be lucky to get even an hour of footage without a usb passthrough door and battery pack.
>>
>>1991308
love a good steel fork
>>
>>1991269
nice tumbleweed rack
>>
why do most of you suggest spd pedals over spd-sl? i guess with modern super stiff outsole materials surface area matters less and spd's are dual sided making things easier to clip into. but after going with an spd-sl system, which some really recoiled at, it's been...fine?
i just don't really understand what an spd pedal and cleat is better at. availability of walkable shoes?
>>
>>1991416
That's because you don't know shit. Post your bike so we can laugh at you.
>>
>>1991442
spd can do everything okay. Walking, mud clearance, easier clip in (2 sided pedal). spd-sl or look pedals are probably better for raw road riding.
>>
File: 1713197922211.jpg (1.21 MB, 2050x1353)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>1991219
>made in shitaly
>>
File: columbage.jpg (1.19 MB, 3088x2930)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
4 of my bikes have columbus tubing, it's the patricians choice.
>>
File: IMG_8656.jpg (265 KB, 1600x1200)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>1991445
>>
I am awful at remembering to lube my chain. Would it be advantageous to use white lithium grease since it lasts forever or is the fact that it's a dirt magnet still too much of a downside?
>>
>>1991452
If you're not feeling/hearing it, then it can't be that big of a problem. What are you concerned about? Premature chain stretch? Just buy a new chain more often, or cheaper chains.
>>
>>1991452
Lard is the best option for forgetful people, it sticks like shit to a blanket, is good for the environment and has been shown to outperform most commercial so called bike lubes that the bike jew forces you to pay through the nose for.

Been using it for 20 years without issue, gently melt, not hot but soft enough to dip a brush, paint 3 or 4 coats onto a clean dry chain, allowing a few minutes it to set between coats.

Nature knew precisely what she was doing when she made animal fat.
>>
>>1991452
yeah, too dirty
>>
>>1991419
did the hot glue gun thing not work?
>>
>>1991452
I go by sound and feel. Recently I lubed my chain and rode after pollen and rain came down.
Fuck ton of pollen and rain gunked up my chain and on the bike stand I could feel the resistance.

Otherwise I just go by sound, if it's quiet it's fine.
>>1991449
> I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today
>>
>>1991423
jesus, that looks uncomfortable.
yet another reason to abstain from folders.
I don't know what the answer is because of the proprietary stem and bars and how they work with the folding but damn, you can't even raise the bars to at-or-above saddle height? that's ridiculous
>>
>>1991451
So how much money did you earn last year from winning races (ballpark range)?
>>
>>1991453
It's a little noisy and skipping right now. That's what reminded me. Looked down and it's looking a bit orange. Doesn't help that it's stored outside. Under a roof, but outside none the less.
>>
>>1991450
real talk, can you notice any difference between the flavors of cromo you ride? what about those compared to alu or carbon, if you've ever ridden that?
I have a nice Miyata triple butted cromo frame and a 1990 MUSA trek aluminum frame. I notice the lightness of the alu since I can cruise in higher gears for the same cadence, and very noticeable on climbs; but I do have racks, fenders, basket with lock and edc on the steel whereas the alu is a lightweight -ish build with lighter wheels and tpu tubes.
but as far as "ride quality" I really don't notice any difference. but the alu frame does seem rather thick and heavy, it's just a midrange 1400 and very old so maybe that's why?
>>
>>1991452
if you can stick the greased chain into a high pressure chamber so it forces the grease in-between all the plates and rollers to where it actually does something, sure.
if not, you need liquid.
>>
>>1991462
Not him and I can't ID steel by feel, but I can definitely tell differences in compliance between bikes, even two steel ones. Steel vs alu is a chasm, and you can't mask a harsh frame with letting air out of the tires, that's just a myth.
>>
>>1991454
The new fears the Lord cyclist
>>
>>1991462
Not him but I can ride different bikes and they feel different. Is it geo? Is it frame builder techniques? or is it components?
IDK.
So far my favorite road bikes just feel great underneath me.

I have ridden a couple that aren't as good so far, and I need to put more miles on them.
>>1991465
>Lord cyclist
based tbqh
>>
File: 117362769_p4.jpg (709 KB, 1012x1536)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
How hard would it be to manufacture my own bike frame?
I know how to do mechanical, it's my job. I don't do manufacturing or fabrication though
>>
>>1991467
I wonder about this, too.
it seems like figuring out the geo and building/setting up the jig would be the hard part.
if you're doing lugged steel, wouldn't the lugs determine the geo, or do they come in different angles? or can you bend them several degrees?
I guess you could make your own lugs somehow, but I know you can buy them along with the tubes.
now that you can weld the tubes instead of braize them to lugs, seems like that would be the way to go. or just do alu.
>>
>>1991467
Shouldn't be too hard. Just figure out your geo, setup jigs, and I would weld it together since I know a little about that.
>>
>>1991382
>even then some of the vintage shapes are not available
Probably because they aren't very good.
Swept back bars work well together with very old geometry. I have swept back bars on my 70s soviet touring bike that had antiquated geometry by 70s standards and it works thanks to massive fork rake, rather steep head angle and short stem. Flat bars feel weird on that bike
>>
do people do anything to sanitize bar wraps as part of maintenance?
>>
Is there a way to know the inner diameter of the rims without taking out the tire? Can't see any markings for width and such, except the dimensions.
>>
>>1991488
google the rim name and you should find its specs
for instance r500 or whatever it says on the outside wall
>>
>>1991488
depends on the rims. some recycle names on so many different products that even google won't give you a straight answer. mavic is an example of that
>>
>>1991438
Part of having a gopro is knowing exactly which 28 minutes of your ride will be the most exciting part and waiting until then to press record
>>
File: 1713048061730013.jpg (2.35 MB, 3000x4000)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>1991232
Yes, they are. If you turn them in or out they will either move the derailleurs position in high gears or low gears. Normally new derailleurs have a L or H, L for the big gears, H for the small, but your might not have them labelled. You want the derailleur to be in line with what ever gear its in, if its not it will skip and not pedal properly.

You also have this screw/ housing thingy that will tension or loosen and can be used to adjust the derailleur as well, you want the cable to be firm in the highest gear, not loose or way tight.

There's also a good chance you bent the derailleur so if it looks like its sewed to one side at an angle, just bend it back, its soft metal and can always be bent again if you mess up.
>>
>>1991486
to actually sanitize it? not that i've ever heard of. are you actually worried about it being unsanitary, or is it just visibly dirty?
>>
>>1991503
that's totally reasonable and most people have film experience with plans of what content to capture and when. I ride 5-12 hours a day so I think in the context of touring it'd be useful information. I'm using mine as a shoulder mounted dashcam anyways, so even hindsight mode would use a lot of battery for that usecase, might as well capture everything, in terms of value for video quality and compactness, nothing comes close to the gopro besides its competitors
>>
>>1991524
>most people have film experience with plans of what content to capture and when
>most people with film experience have plans of what content to capture and when
derp
>>
>>1991219
What are the best shoes for cycling with toe cages? I'm planning a month long tour, so I'll be in these shoes constantly....

I'm thinking about Adidas samba, but they've got that giant tongue which seems like it might get irritating.

I know I probably should get some SPD's, but it just seems wrong to use clipless on a vintage bike.
>>
File: IMG_0049 (Custom).jpg (817 KB, 2238x1678)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
>>1991316
Only good way is with a trailer, preferably a single wheel touring one. God I want a trailer. Or an XL tandem longtail conversion.

Rolling both of them and riding alongside works if the tires hold air.

I've done a variation on pic rel half a dozen times, and on a front rack. Broken a rack doing it. It's such a fuss and it rides awfully. Bikes are just bigger than you think and pointy. Don't do it.
It's better to just break it down some and strap it on the outside of a backpack. Either way is awful for any longer distance.
If you do insist on strapping a bike to a rack, wrap everything with noodles or bubble wrap or something so you can get it tight on the rack without scratching stuff.
>>
>>1991521
worried about it getting funky like unwashed gym socks would. I never thought about it and it was fine all last summer but I just started riding again for the season and noticed my hands smelled really bad after a ride. a BO type smell.
Going to change them anyway, but was wondering if I would have to do anything to maintain the new ones to prevent that or if it takes something like 6 months of sitting unused to sort of rot.
>>
>>1991531
personally i'd either ride plain flat pedals or SPDs, probably the former. but i used to wear sambas when i rode with toe cages and the tongue was never a problem for me. if you're worried about it, i'd just look for a similar show with a durable toe cap area and a low-profile sole like the samba.

where are you going on your tour?
>>
File: bar.jpg (273 KB, 1440x1800)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>1991533
do you wear gloves? additionally, everyone's different as far as sweat. i don't sweat much and my tape always stayed pretty neat. some people sweat a ton and the bar tape soaks it up and it can get salty and/or stinky. like downright disgusting. so if it's really bad, replace it and take care that your bar and levers don't get damaged.
>>
>>1991534
I'm going from PNW to the bottom of Baja California. I did a shorter tour lately on some old rat-trap style pedals, but it felt like my feet were sliding around too much and contacting at the wrong spot.
>>
>>1991533
Just wash it when you wash your bike.
The way to wash a bike is fill a bucket with hot water and dish soap and use some rags, so just go first on the bartape with a clean rag.

If you're riding the bike all weather or sweating heavily then getting new tape every year is reasonable.
You do not want corrosion on your bars or adhesives from the tape disintegrating into their unremoveable state.

Also try different tapes, some are far less prone to get gross.
>>
>>1991536
that looks like keef
>>
>>1991537
nice. i think maybe i saw you talking about your planned tour in /btg/. were you the one who asked about riding highway 1/101? i'm hoping to do the great divide later in the summer.

if i were using just flat pedals with no cages, i'd get more of a mountain bike style pedal with pins. they're grippy enough that your feet won't slide, but retain all the benefits of a flat pedal.
>>
>>1991539
It’s oxidized aluminum, your hand sweat is powerful enough to corrode the handlebars you grab it’s definitely a fun fact
>>
>>1991531
there is a samba with a shorter tongue, i forget what it is called, though. maybe surplus GAT's can be found cheap, which are basically the same thing. definitely don't use a chunky shoe and don't use something with an extremely flexible sold and you should be ok.
>>1991532
i tried to do this but my dropouts were too wide, i had considered lying it down but was worried about someone hitting me even if i had clearance lights. i was thinking about it last night, but immobilizing the steering and resting the fork dropouts on the rack and towing it, but i was concerned about stability. carrying bulky stuff on the back always sucks especially if it touches you.
>Or an XL tandem longtail conversion
fucking ME TOO

i think i will try various methods with one of my bikes before i actually go out and do this, sucks that most bikes i see are minimum like 40-50mi one way.
>>
File: bob trailer.jpg (195 KB, 800x463)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>1991545
If i didn't have a car then i'd definitely get one of these.
I want one anyway but willing to be more patient finding a great deal on a used one.

It's far and away the best cheap solution.
>>
>>1991545
what about if, instead of a flag, you strapped a 1-2 metre metal pole vertically on one of your rack arms, then clamped the bike you're carrying upside down with the pole into the seat tube 1-2 metres above your head?
>>
>>1991541
yeah, thats me. Good luck with your tour too

>>1991545
Just found out that they have sambas with cleat mounts. Think i'm gonna get some of those so that I have options.
>>
>>1991548
>Just found out that they have sambas with cleat mounts. Think i'm gonna get some of those so that I have options.

Pretty sure the spd velosamba ones only come in 'vegan leather' ie synthetic crap.
They're really not particularly nice shoes.
>>
>>1991219
I want to upgrade my bike from a walmart turd I've had for a few years and I'm curious what you guys think of these

>https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/urban/scene/2023-scene-3/
>https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/urban/xfr/2023-xfr-3/

I'll mostly be riding on the roads and cycling paths and I want something comfy but basically better in every way than my current one. My local shops carry lots of norcos as they are made nearby.
>>
>>1991546
Have a yak, thing is fucking great. Pretty much unkillable, but if it did break I'd happily drop a couple hundred for another.
>>
>>1991549
Just bought some, will report back. Think I'll order some time atac pedals from amazon and return them if they're not my thing.
>>
>>1991546
>>1991553
ah yeah, that seems like a pretty good solution desu. 6-700 euro is a bit more than what i'd want to spend, though. i'll probably wait until i can find something used, or make my own, i dunno.
>>
>>1991551
The step-through bike looks heavy. How bad are the roads you ride? Do you really need front shocks on your hybrid?
>>
now that ive learned to double shift the rear when shifting chain rings, imagine needing >9 speed casette
>>
>>1991565
why do i know you are the red bianchi drain gang guy
>>
>>1991569
Lmao. That’s actually not me

But I’m still lurking
>>
Is there any sort of canti hangar that doesn't act as a headset spacer? mine is too thick to be able to get a wrench around the top bearing race and tighten it properly without the hangar interfering. Stem swap is not an option either.
>>
>>1991577
Could JB weld an endcap to the side of your stem that sounds pretty punk rock
>>
>>1991578
i am not doing that!
i would sooner just drill the stem, i mean, it'd probably be fine...right...?
>>
File: uvq8ram8y0a51.jpg (35 KB, 384x512)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1991577
there's this type that mounts on the fork crown
>>
>>1991580
ya but they are either all discontinued or out of stock everywhere
>>
>>1991581
omg bitch you don't know how to use google i typed in "fork brake cable hanger" and got like 20 options. origin8 has one on amazon for under 20.

also this board is dead
>>
File: 20240209_144334.jpg (3.16 MB, 4080x3060)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>1991581
I have the origin 8 one, bought it 2 months ago.
Works great.
>>
File: team.jpg (684 KB, 2906x1373)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
>>1991462
I'm him, as others have said steel and alu are miles apart, you can feel it immediately. Different steels things get trickier, especially when there is also variation in geometry and components.

My best quality Columbus tubed bike is the Roberts Dogs Bolx picrel, it has a blend of tubing including Max, Max OR and Genius, each tube selected for it's specific properties and the whole bike designed to maximize strength and lightness, the Max Top tube has been ovalized vertically at the head tube end and horizontally at the seat tube, the Max OR downtube has had the same treatment, this serves to increase strength where it matters while allowing him to use suuch lightwight steel, touches like this performed by a master frame builder with years of experience make all the difference. That bike weighs 11.4 KG with Rockshox fitted and has acceleration and climbs like no other bike I tried, except perhaps the Klein Attitude, which is a dead to the touch aluminum masterpiece or racing design. Both bikes feel completely different, and both bikes won multiple World Titles, only the Dogs Bolx is a joy to ride in non race conditions.
>>
are the chink YBN chains any good or am I better off buying the well-known brands?
>>
>>1991489
>>1991491
looks like its 17mm (622x17c). I'm going tubeless, should I get 18mm or follow the +5mm rule of thumb?
>>
>>1991219
If I don't have a lot of time, is training on short steep climbs useful? Every morning I've been trying to ride this 3 mile, 1000 foot climb as fast as possible. Takes me about 20 minutes on my 70s road bike (which i use to make it even harder).
>>
>>1991619
the zerofrictioncycling guy says they are great
and they score well in his longevity tests
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/chaintesting/
>>
>>1991583
holy shit i didnt look at amazon first off but like eveywhere else. i searched and got nothing but out of stock tektro ones.
amazon is like the ONLY place with the origin8 one
>>
File: canti hanger.jpg (667 KB, 2100x1600)
667 KB
667 KB JPG
I noodled about this a few months ago, with an olde atb that came with a slingshot type stem. Where it has the little crossbar to act as a cable housing stop. Can't stand how those look though.

>>1991580
>>1991581
>discontinued or out of stock everywhere
Dia-Compe 1281F is what I wanted, but couldn't find that or the Tektro one anywhere in the US. But for some reason both are easy to find in the UK. So I bought a few on ebay. Shipping was half the bill.

I modified one to take a recessed nut, since the crown lug on this fork will accept it. Ground down both the bolt & the nut until it just fits w/ enough room to get the hex in there.
Still haven't decided if I'm going to cut off the lower forward extension bit. Probably.

>>1991595
>>1991635
>the origin 8 one
Didn't like the look of that one, the chunky contours and it's black. Wouldn't look right for my project.
>>
>>1991637
Yeah it wasn't something I wanted to spend $40-$50 on
>I modified one to take a recessed nut,
good idea

i had just planned on stripping and polishing the origin8 one anyway since i have some other stuff to strip and polish too.
It's weird since like this is a pretty good approach if you have a slammed stem or minimal threading on your forks, I'm just surprised there is literally only one being sold in the US.
>>
File: PEDAL_STRAPS_hero1.jpg (47 KB, 480x480)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1991531
Fuck toe cages. Get those big Velcro straps and some sleek shoes you can slide in/out of.

Otherwise yea spd is goated
>>
Is there such a thing as a low-profile helmet that nevertheless offers reasonable protection? I have a Bell Avenue and helmet plus head feel like they're about the size of a prizewinning watermelon.
>>
>>1991650
They work because they're big
Who cares how you look it's a helmet there's no making it cooler
>>
>>1991650
if you're talking about the diameter of the helmet, that's not really how it works, but I'm pretty happy with my Trek Velocis, it feels like I'm not wearing a helmet. The shell is carbon fiber and it's 65 grams lighter overall compared to the Bell
>>1988709
>>
>>1991531
Giro used to make some old-timey looking SPD shoes made of leather, I forgot the name but I had a pair and they were great, maybe you could get those since they look the part but won't kill you like toe cages
>>
>>1991637
>chunky contours and it's black.
can't do anything about the shape -- maybe a grinder?
but black components can all be made silver if you have the patience to sand off the black, then sand progressively finer grit, then steel wool and polish.
it's a chore but I've done it a lot with good results
>>
Are Yokozuna mech-hydraulic brakes really as good as the shills say?
>>
>>1991650
iunno if this is what you are looking for but bluelug and probably others offer something called a casque that offers head protection but then can be folded away when off the bike.
I remember when I was a kid, I guess the UCI must've just instituted the helmet rule and the trendy helmet I saw everyone around me wore looked a lot like these except brown leather? I think Bell made them.
it was obviously just "the minimum option to meet the requirements" and they all disappeared quickly presumably because the snell/ansi standards were soon implemented.
so I guess these are like that but they obviously don't protect to current standards but I guess Japan says "good enough."
https://global.bluelug.com/bicycle/helmet-casque.html
>>
>>1991619
which one are you looking at on ali? funnily enough their 8sp ones are a few bucks more than the cheapie sram ones, which are a bit better than the shimano 8sp ones. currently trying out a couple kmc ones which are more than the YBN, so i'll see how long they last..

i can't seem to find the 7/8 sp hollow link YBN one that MSW has listed for sale...plus it's 40 bucks.

but yea zfc likes them so they're probably solid enough.
>>
>>1991629
Yes if your goal is increased power in that interval, or increased climbing capability.
Issue is you will still have to do zone 2/long distance work eventually if that's ever a goal.

Key is like everything else, progressive overload. So that could be you just straight pushing harder and going faster. Or standing more. Or pushing a harder gear. Or spinning faster, etc.
Just make sure you kinda keep track of what you are doing, or at least make sure your effort is still high

If you feel tired or rekt take it easy for a day or two.
>>
Does there exist some kind of shroud to sit over external BB cups to stop road dust from getting up into the seal? I'm thinking something that would attach to the crank spindle or crank arms somehow, so it can rotate all around the cup without touching it and make a longer path for dirt to get in. If it doesn't exist I might have a go at 3d printing one to see if it would work
>>
>>1991652
But muh aero
Fair enough, wasn't sure

>>1991654
Interesting

>>1991660
Ah yeah I think my dad had one of those back in the day, I've heard them called hairnets. Too minimal for me but a good shout.
>>
is measuring pin to pin on the outside of the chain with calipers the most accurate way to determine chain stretch (assuming no measurement error). Ive heard something about roller wear and some checkers not accounting for that or something.
>>
>>1991524
Please upload uneditted footage on your YT, city riding videos are my crack.
>>
>>1991678
Everyone in those videos is Satan. If you fast you get sick and you start to get very afraid, and you can actually start to notice somebody else is controlling the people in these videos. This reality is a psyop. There's barely any real people, I'm one of the only ones. Maybe even the only one.
>>
>>1991685
did you mean to post this on /x/?
>>
>>1991678
Mostly unedited long format city ride videos are in the plans, I'm in the final stretch of working out the small details
>>1991685
>>1991691
I'm a developing schi/x/o and when I review some of my videos I legit feel the way you feel, especially when the NPCs do and say GTA type shit. When I'm out and about, is like background noise but in the videos, I see all the things I miss in real time, the videos feel like a video game, is weird
>>
Thinking of getting one of these to store two bikes in my apartment, has anyone here had any experience with them? If anyone has any other ideas for bike storage where you can't drill into the wall I'm all ears
>>
>>1991695
I have one. it's fine
>>
>>1991692
Why are you replying to bots?
>>
>>1991310
I have a Fenix 7 as well. I use the Edge 130 plus as my bike computer. I have the cadence and speed sensor too. The Fenix I just use for heart rate. You can broadcast the heart rate to the Edge 130 Plus.

... I'm also really happy with the Edge 130 Plus. It is super basic but gives you the data you're probably looking for and it isn't "in your face" if you're looking to get away from screen time. The navigation and courses lack a bit of detail but if you generally know where you are going then it doesn't matter. And if you get really lost you have the Fenix.
>>
i have now blown through my uniqlo heattech leggings, unfortunate, they were super breathable and comfortable.
probably not going to be very cost effective to keep buying them, but uhhh what else should i buy? my legs need to be covered to nearly my knee (legs bow way inward and thighs rub) and i'd prefer full sun coverage. el cheapo joggers are just too hot.
>>
>>1991467
>>1991469
/bqg/ is a ghetto.
I replied to you here >>1991731 instead.
>>
>>1991227
Lower quality steel you need more of for the same strength, also they overbuild their bikes for fat Americans.
>>
>>1991486
i'm considering just replacing the entire entire length of bar tape with multiple long grips, mostly because i live in a very rainy place that makes tape feel terrible. bad idea? i never see it done on other bikes.
>>
File: 1.jpg (622 KB, 2560x1154)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
I have a bit of rust where the chainstays meet the BB, some in the BB threads too.

Should I be worried? Aluminium bike
>>
File: FTFWJ8RFJXP7X8K.jpg (20 KB, 399x228)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1991744
I've seen it done but it looks so gross. They make rubber bar tape like lizardskin or gecko or brooks

See picrel, your bike will look like dicks or in this case cheetoes
>>
>>1991695
Only heard good things, in my experience it just werks.
>>
>>1991658
I've heard that trp hy/rd is the only acceptable solution to mech dick
>>
>>1991755
you heard wrong, there is no acceptable solution other than a trash bin

t. former hy/rd victim
>>
>>1991744
It looks nasty and it was a thing in the 70's with "grab on" bike grips.

I would try other tapes Admittedly I like cheap cork tape and when it rains it seems to do fine, but I only wear full finger gloves when riding.
>>1991752
NBD. You could hit it with some sandpaper or brass wire wheel to see how affixed it is.
>>
>>1991753
well that one definitely looks disgusting, yeah
>>1991761
so cencensus is to get rainproof tape instead? i'll look into it
>>
>>1991744
I bought this recently on sale for $20 (at mec)
https://www.cannondale.com/en-ca/gear/equipment/grips--bar-tape/bar-tape/knurltack-bar-tape
there's a silicone layer with a knurl pattern that makes it really grippy.
>>
do you rotate your tires? just noticed how much more worn my rear is vs the front.
>>
>>1991796
It's best to wear out the rear, put the front on the rear, and put a new tire on the front.
That way your freshest tire is on the front.
>>
>>1991759
hydraulic or just go back to v-brakes?
>>
>>1991774
>MEC
>finally goes near bankrupt after years of mismanagement by some old retard who was a management consultant at Accenture
>get bought up by an American private equity fund
>prices drop massively
>store-brand products are in stock again
>products start shipping within a day or two instead of waiting three days or more
>>
>>1991658
I don't see the point they're $300 that's the same price as 105 brifters
Unless you're running some obsolete 8 speed setup but also have discs why wouldn't you go full hydro in that scenario I'd get TRP hylex with barcons
>>
Can you use SRAM 11-speed chains with Shimano 10-speed groupset? Google is giving conflicting answers, some pages saying yes, others saying no.
>>
>>1991219
I live in a hilly area with really bad roads and doing 1000 foot decents daily has been killing the headset and rear wheel on my 80s Peugeot.

How can I prevent my headset coming loose and my wheels going out of true every 2 weeks?
>>
>>1991830
unironically get a new bike, one that's actually designed for rough descents
>>
>>1991832
I think that I would be too powerful with a new bike. I already pass all the carbon freds up there because I climb 2k feet daily.
>>
File: 20240411_113941.jpg (3.26 MB, 3072x3613)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
How real is my steel, bros?
I got hit last week while running a stop sign and one of my seat stays got bent to shit. Can it be fixed?
>>
>>1991843
Nah, its over. Get a new frame.
>>
>>1991843
you should probably ask the guy in the build thread that actually makes frames. it looks like it's toast to me but I'm just a layman .
even if it's fixable, paying someone to do it may be more than the bike is worth
>>
>>1991839
Did you try a higher spoke count rim, or even just new spokes?
+1 for team legacy tech
>>
>>1991843
You can bend it back and fill the new void with braze or bondo
As they say though; what burns never returns.
(You can bandaid it but it don't heal son)
>>
>>1991798
Hydros, don't get me fuckin started.
Their actions and pull is good, but prolonged descents cook the fluid no matter what fluid so I never saw the point. More hassle and $$$$ for le cooler pull feel? Gay. Better to git gud at wrenching perfect cable brakes. Discs aren't perfect but neither are rim brakes, either way is a compromise anyway.
Get sintered not "organic" pads.
>>
>>1991822
maybe.
11 speed might run narrower internal width so it might have issues going over the cogs. Or it will be a thinner chain so it might not index perfectly.
Or it will be fine.
>>1991830
Maybe clamp the headset tighter against the lock nut? Otherwise a sealed bearing one might be better.
For the wheels either get higher spoke count, or run the spokes tighter.
>>
>>1991843
Fix it if you love the frame. I would do the ghetto thing and just heat+pull. Then probably weld a sleeve over most of the seat stay, but I just do things to work.
Luckily if a seatstay goes you have another one.
>>
>>1991856
You must be retarded brah. What are you doing that is cooking your fluid that often? Professional road racers, dh mtb, don't have this issue apparently
>>
>>1991759
Sorry nigger I trust my nigga trace velo more than you
>>
>>1991856
My goal when road or mountain biking is to use the brakes as little as I can. So far the worst I have done is blued a rear 180mm rotor down black diamond trails. DH brakes with sintered pads are damn strong and I find them overkill unless I am sending it, so you must be sending it hard.
Or maybe e-cargobiking.
>>
>>1991857
Just revised the headset and some of the bearings were literally crushed. New bearings and grease in, hopefully its fine now. Lmao.....

Mexican dude at the bike collective randomly called me a bitch because I hurt his ego a month ago by not listening to his made up advice about sram chains not working with 105. Pretended not to hear him because its not worth a fight.

But if you're reading this (you seemed like you might a /n/ lurker), how can you call me a bitch when you have such big tits?
>>
any reason to avoid in line barrel adjusters on road bikes?
>>
>>1991893
pretty useless if your setup is friction, but on brakes no, and otherwise...no? why would you want to?
>>
>>1991894
I should have specified for the shift cables. was wondering if they added friction or was a point of dust/dirt/water contamination, but now that I think of it the cable stops are way more open
>>
>>1991893
Necessary evil. I have a mtb derailleur modification so I get a barrel adjuster in the rear; luckily I rarely ever have to use it. Not a fan of in-lines if I have a choice but also not a dealbreaker
>>
>>1991895
No they can definitely funnel water into the line a lot more than barrel adjusters at the shifter, it’s obvious when you take out an old cable that in-lines aren’t perfect, but like, are you really gonna get off your bike and reach back every time the shiftings off instead?
>>
>>1991219
Just found out that I've been riding my roadbike with 40 psi in the tires all week. Was wondering why it felt kinda sluggish....
>>
>>1991898
yeah I fell for the low pressure meme and rode 60psi and it felt like I was riding through mud. the silca calc puts the ideal pressure for my system at 84psi. which I think is accurate
but to be fair ice learned that low pressure is ideal for wider tires not 25s.
>>
>>1991895
ehhh i mean replacing housing and cables is pretty inexpensive anyway, the difference is probably negligible. do you have a barrel adjuster on your rd/shifter? what shifters are you using? if you don't have an indexed fd and have one on the rd then i just wouldn't add any.
>>
>>1991899
boy, back in my day 84 psi in a 25 WAS low pressure
>>
>>1991890
You do type like a bitch though
>>
>>1991897
>but like, are you really gonna get off your bike and reach back every time the shiftings off instead?
Indexing shouldn't go out routinely.

The actual worst problem with inline barrel adjusters is that they can add friction/ clutching or slip and justify themselves.
>>
It's confusing to choose among all the available options so I'll ask here
I want a cycling computer that allows me to display the map, as I like to explore new places I don't even necessarily follow the routes I make myself
with that in mind, what's my best option, without spending a fortune?
the Garmin Edge Explore seemed to be fit for me but apparently the battery life is shit
Anyone can vouch for some chink computer maybe?
>just use your phone
already tried, not ideal, plus it kills the battery
>>
>>1991934
Get a second hand 530 or 540 then.
>>
>>1991934
540? that's what i was looking at. battery life says 26hr.
>>
Has anyone that's owned a b17 narrow ridden on a swift? The swift seems flatter and has less apron material, so it's probably a bit thicker and less compliant? No holes on top either, and the unfinished copper rivets look nice.
I want to get another brooks and the swift is on sale for 150.
>>
>>1991843
If you know a friend with a welder, you could bend it back and weld a sleeve over it. ain't a pretty fix but it would work. But the cost of that if you had to front it probably isn't worth it.

Honestly you could probably ride it as is for quite some time before it goes, then your other seatpost will hold you up at least.
>>
>>1991934
>>1991936
>>1991936

The numbered models (5xx, 8xx and 1xxx) are aimed at cat 6 tryhards and will try to integrate and interfere with every aspect of your life, from the hour you get up every morning to your shoe size.
I think the only reason for the shorter claimed battery life on the Explore is its bigger screen and the assumption you will run it with the map displayed at all times. If you use it like a speedometer and only check the map occasionally, it will last you days, even when recording.
After checking out the 540 and Explore 2, I can say with full confidence: DO NOT, under any circumstances, get a Garmin without a touch screen. Also worth noting that only the last generation, so the x40s and Explore 2 have an interface from this decade, i.e. USB-C.
If you don't race, the extra cost and features of the 5/8/10 series will be completely wasted on you and the devices actually more frustrating to use if you just want to ride places.
I looked at chinkshit computers but their features are very poorly documented, most of them don't accept OSM based maps and even if their proprietary maps are derived from OSM, they are reportedly of poor quality and you are reliant on the manufacturer for updates.
>>
>>1991956
I actually have owned Garmin computers for several years and I can firmly say touchscreen is retarded; this is like, 1st-generation blackberry touchscreen, this isn’t your cell phone’s touchscreen and it doesn’t even function with moist hands
>>
>>1991965
You use TWO buttons to scroll the map in FOUR directions!
If you ever want to navigate to something on the device itself, without linking to your phone and downloading a gpx from an external app, you absolutely need the touch screen.
>>
>>1991966
Well you shouldn’t be creating new routes from scratch when you’re on the bike and then you wouldn’t have scroll across the map constantly, touchscreen is actually annoying when it’s on a chicken nugget sized computer taking up 90% of the free space
>>
>>1991968
>you shouldn’t be creating new routes from scratch when you’re on the bike
Why?
>>
>>1991969
Because you only have 2 buttons to do it with…
Also it’s a clunky system no matter which Garmin you have and better off just uploading to the Garmin from a phone (or use for emergency, which 2-buttons will work just fine for)
>>
>>1991970
>Because you only have 2 buttons to do it with…
...unless I have a touchscreen which makes the experience much closer to a phone app. This way I can also disable bluetooth, save battery and keep my phone in my pocket instead of the bars. If you mostly do planned rides then maybe you can get by without it, but if you like to Explore (hint hint) then the touchscreen is invaluable.
>>
>>1991975
Y'all niggas really be looking at computer screens and fiddling with devices when you ride your bikes? That's wild. What's all this data you're presumably logging doing for you anyway?
>>
>>1991976
Have you done a ride longer than 30 km? You generally want to know where you're going and how to get there.
>>
>>1991976
Heart rate is pretty much the most important, and a Garmin with chest strap is WAY better than a smart watch for that (speed as well with an actual sensor), but I really like the temperature readings of the computer too. If I had a power meter to read my wattage (which is arguably the most/only useful data after heart rate) I’d need a computer to link it to as well
>>
>>1991976
Basically everything a smartwatch gives you but a lot more accurate, reliable and long-lasting usage. The reason I have a Garmin isn’t because it’s so amazing, the reason I have a Garmin is because my applewatch dies in 4 hours of riding and I like to ride longer than that
>>
>>1991976
nta but yeah knowing how fast I'm going and what my heart rate is and the current grade of the road surface is really nice, it helps me pace myself, it helps me understand if it's my imagination or it actually is hard/easy today, and like another anon said, if you've got another 40 miles to go it's helpful to know if you ought to speed up or if you can maintain the current pace, etc. can't be any more of a waste of energy than you constantly stopping and re-truing your dumpster dived wheels and trying to wiggle the friction shifter to get rid of that grinding noise, oh who am I kidding you're completely desensitized to bike noise because your rusted out chain is shrieking at about 90 db at all times and you can tell how fast you're going based on looking at the tow rope you're dragging your "salvaged abandoned bike parts" crate and counting how many seconds it takes for a piece of road debris to move along that length of rope
>>
>>1991978
yeah, nobody did longer rides before electronic navigation
>>
>>1991985
They did, and carried MAPS, do you do that?
>>
>>1991981
the abandoned bikes/room full of spare wheels meta character is so fucking funny
>>
>>1991986
lol you can't ride more than 30km without a fucking map? are you retarded?
>>
>>1991988
No I do multi day trips and I can't do those without a map.
>>
>>1991989
you take multiple days to ride 30km?
>>
>>1991978
>You generally want to know where you're going and how to get there.
Ah, a human who has never spent a moment in the pre-internet era. Back in the day, those of us who were too dumb to plan ahead and bring or study a map traveled by primarily by compass, even in "far away" lands across the globe such as 30km away.
>>
>>1991978
>Have you done a ride longer than 30 km? You generally want to know where you're going and how to get there.
yea, i'd use a map nigga, and I also generally KNOW where i WANT to go before I embark on a trip that would require navigation. i'm not out there blazing trails with my trusty palm pilot.

>>1991979
i guess fitness is fine, but i'd log it and analyze it after. fuck ruining my ride with gadgets. i'm looking at hot juicy tits and nature and shit. birds. the sun. trees. that sort of thing.

>>1992000
these kids are dorks, man. who the fuck wants to stare at their phone while on a bike. that's some dark, twisted shit right there.
>>
>>1992000
I'm older than you. "Back in the day" you stuck to main roads because that's where road signs were, or you rigidly followed a pre-planned route and the whole thing usually went to shit the first time you took a wrong turn and you'd end up constantly stopping and asking the locals how to continue.
I can tell you never did longer rides, not back in the day, not now.
>>
>>1992003
bitch, please.
>>
>>1992004
Doesn't ride confirmed.
>>
>>1992005
not even that anon lol, you're just a retard who can't navigate, though.

>I can tell you never did longer rides, not back in the day, not now.
womanly thing to say

enoy your iphone and garmin and spreadhseets or whatever the fuck it is you're doing out there instead of enjoying the ride, ya dork
>>
I just ride. If I want to go to a new unknown area I check the map before, and have my phone if I get lost. My favorite parts of rides are new areas that I can explore and experience. I use the sun as an indicator on what direction I need to go.
>>
File: this-faggots-bike.jpg (193 KB, 1024x1024)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1992007
confirmed non-rider, you need picrel to leave your town without getting lost and ending up on a gulliver's travels-esque adventure. fuckin' poser, get good and get a garmin.
>>
I like trying new routes and seeing if I can navigate by dead reckoning. which I'm fairly good at, because I've always done it and doing it makes you better at it. I ride all the time and I've broke down and pulled my phone out like once in recent memory. I just like understanding the general lay of the land in my city. when I moved across town I didn't look at a bunch of maps or online, I just got on the bike and scouted the area until I understood where everything was. I enjoy that aspect almost as much as just riding. that's the fun part, for me.
>>
>>1992007
imagine never going into an unfamiliar area with the intent to get lost in it and not use gps or map
now that's real wanderlust, I can tell you've never experienced that feeling with your need of navigation aids while calling 30km far lmao
>>
>>1992007
sorry anon not you, meant for
>>1992003
>>
>>1992016
Post a pic of your last camp.
>>
Kona is getting shut down by its parent company Kent Outdoors.
>>
>>1992024
NOOOOO I WANTED A UNIT
>>
File: manon3.jpg (245 KB, 768x1024)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>1992024
Should've seen this coming with that buy one get one mountain bike deal they had a few months ago
>>
>>1992024
Are you referring to the Sea Otter thing or new news? They just announced some carbon bikepacking meme, they'll stick around to run through them in the worst case scenario. The two for one Process deal was way too obvious though.
>>
Took my 40 year old pedals apart because they stopped turning much. Somehow a few of the bearings got turned into shrapnel, how does that happen?
>>
>>1992051
like they broke into fragments?
>>
>>1992055
Yeah. Cones seemed fine tho

Obviously I didn't bother rebuilding them.
>>
>Bridgestone MB-0 going up on the local police auction

How much is this thing worth? The paint is scratched off in a lot of places, and the frame is covered in cringe stickers. The components are all period-correct XT, but it's unknown whether they're in good working condition or not.

Imagine pic related but with a suspension fork and quite beat up.
>>
>>1992057
Even the frame is worth a lot on ebay, definitely make a bid.
>>
>>1992001
Well yeah you either log the data primarily for after-ride (or modify your effort based on heart rate or power meter zones, which is basically the whole idea of real-time monitoring, so you can give the exact right amount of effort for training purposes), or use it to not get lost I don’t think many people are staring at the computer or significantly changing how they ride because of it
>>
>>1992058
I know some vintage models are collector's items, but I have no idea where to begin to try to pack bike frames for shipping.
>>
>>1992057
yeah definitely make a bid. worst case you have another shitter if you can get it for a reasonable price. what's it starting at?
>>1992066
it's pretty easy, just grab something from a bike shop and cut it down to size, or just fashion your own box (it's fine i've done it before) just make sure everything is padded and tight.
>>
>>1992057
lots
Probably 500+ for the right grant fanatic
>>
Will you be celebrating Bicycle Day?
>>
>>1992087
no
>>
File: compassneedleleaf.jpg (76 KB, 500x375)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1992007
Based map and compass fren.

I love the simplicity, basic orienteering skills are incredibly easy to learn, you just need a map, you don't even need a compass lol, a pin placed onto a lead in a puddle can be used to orient yourself.

If you can map read and use a compass it's almost impossible to get lost. some rudimentary astronomy knowledge means even in the dark you can find your way home. I fear for modern man and his inability to function without batteries and a signal.

Also weight saving, it's a sheet of paper with ink on it and a fucking needle you absolute battery hauling device worshiping retards.
>>
>>1992089
*leaf
>>
>>1992089
*gets wet*
nothin personnel
>>
>>1992028
I had one it sucked. Honestly you're better off with something else.
>>
The Sutra ULTD/LTD is one of the greatest bikes ever made, and has very few equivalents on the market
>>
>>1992089
You don't do any of this, reddit spacing larper.
>>
>>1992094
There are tons of drop bar bikes that will take wide tires, and based on my experiences with the Unit and internet hearsay, I'm going to assume the Sutra frame is also stiff and dull.
>>
>>1992096
There’s like, 4 steel bikes of similar geometry and head angle and 2 of them are independent small brands. The closest big-ticket bike like this is actually something like the Salsa Cutthroat and no way that’s fitting honkin 2.5” tires
>>
>>1992097
What's so special about its geometry?
>>
Should I get a Scott Scale 980 for $800?
I live in the third world and everything around my small city is nothing but rocky uphill roads
>>
>>1992098
Lengthy top tube with a steepish seat tube and a front trail figure that matches up with a short stem and 69° or slacker head tube, basically the modern mountain bike geometry treatment onto a gravel bike. Some brands are pushing that way for sure, but in steel with a focus on cargo potential there aren’t many more options. Most “backpacking adventure” bikes in this genre can vary a lot for whatever reason
>>
>>1992101
rocky unpaved*
>>
>>1992094
Posiden redwood? It's 650b tho, fits up to 2.6
>>
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the small wheel on top of the front wheel?
I know Bromptons fold and a little set of wheels are used to cart the bike but that doesn't seem it
>>
>>1992094
I love mine. It's a little boring and predictable but thats fine for what I use it for. I load that shit down and do long rides on anything that's not super technical and the bike has allowed me to focus on everything around me. I may do the ratio 12spd conversion when I kill the current cassette, just for a little more on both ends.

>>1992149
From the art? Yes it does look like a transport wheel as the rear was definitely drawn to fold in.

>>1991450
I just made arrangements to test ride a well kept Columbus tube steel roadie, so I take this as a sign that it is as the bike gods intended.
>>
>>1992120
not him but the redwood is like 30lbs. sutra is probably less...right? though i think some have said the claims of 2.6" are wrong and it can only really take a 2.5"
plus better group, 11sp, dropper. i don't really like what either of these come with and would rather just buy a sutra frame desu. redwood is still a great value imo.
sutra seems like it has a longer reach and kinda feels like it lends itself more to 90s mtb territory, which i think is good.
can't speak for the steel itself, though.
>>
>>1992087
I haven't dropped acid in over 20 years .
just not anything I'm interested in anymore. I will ride my bike, but in that sense, every day is bicycle day
>>
File: huuuuu.gif (2.25 MB, 498x281)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB GIF
>go to mount front rack
>start to thread bolt into mid fork
>little crusty but it's threading
>out thorough the other side
>it's just crud
>there are no fucking threads
w..what? i mean i guess i'm just going to have to buy some longer bolts and some nuts now but wtf? was it not normal practice to thread mid blade mounts in the 90s? never owned a bike with mid blade mounts before. i'm looking at the duo instructions (what i wish i got) and it looks like bolts are meant to thread into the fork on either side.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (248 KB, 1596x1776)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
I have a bike with a rack that connects to the seatstays via the mudguard, would there be any obvious con to me replacing that connection with 2-3mm gauge steel wire between the rack and the seat stays, so I can get different mudguards? Like pic related.
>>
>>1992178
No idea but you could retap them and run a different bolt size, or as you are planning just a nut on the backside.
>>1992179
Use paint protective tape, and that would be my only con.
Possible paint damage.
Oh, and just make sure it's tight when you set it up. I wouldn't want the rack moving forward and back if the wires weren't tight.
>>
>>1992179
Wires are not know for compressive rigidity.

What's wrong with the fenders? What could you possibly replace them with that would be better than what you already have? Particularly if you want to keep the rack.
>>
>>1992185
Eugh, point taken. Feels bad being low IQ.
I just want to add silver mudguards so the bike doesn't look as bland. :o)
But further inspection shows that there's a connecting strut separate from the mudguard, so I just have to cut some holes into the new mudguard.
Thanks all.
>>
>>1991965
can you at least like lock the screen from touchscreen input to prevent sweat and moisture from interferring with the screen?
>>
>>1992195
You can and probably should to conserve battery life anyways, maybe the touchscreen experience is better on the bigger brand new versions but still my point is it’s just not a high-quality touchscreen, nothing like a smartphone, and the button-only model is a completely reasonable choice because of that. The touchscreen does DRAMATICALLY improve scrolling around the map (and if you’re doing that a lot you should get the largest-screen Garmin you can), but it doesn’t help much outside of that
>>
>>1992089
>you just need a map
my brother, the whole reason why I want to buy a garmin is so I have a map in front of me, not so much for the navigation help
>>1992196
sounds like the garmin explore might be made for me after all
>>
>>1992181
i considered it and it's more drilling than i want to do, even if it would mean i won't have to go to the hardware store (i have to go anyway)
>>
File: touringbike_geometry.png (225 KB, 1404x754)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
i want to ride flat handle bars for city riding, but im not sure how that changes sizing from drops.

177.8cm height, 84 cm stand over height (the same as inseam?) pic rel my custom touring frame

It's been suggested to me that edging smaller is sensible when you want to be upright in urban riding.

in 90s mtb geometry - 19"?
in 531 road geometry - 58cm?
>>
>>1992156
>the rear was definitely drawn to fold in.
why do you say that?
I swear I've seen a rearwheel like that before but I can't guess where...
>>
>>1992208
>It's been suggested to me that edging smaller is sensible when you want to be upright in urban riding.
I'm assuming the idea being a shorter top tube decreases reach, but you'd need more rise in the stem to compensate for larger saddle-to-bar drop. My personal experience tells me rather to edge larger for bars more level with the saddle giving a more relaxed and upright fit.People who want a more aggressive ride size down.
>>
>>1992149
Might be a horn. I wouldn't expect anything that makes sense from murata desu
>>
>>1991219
anyone here know anything about mtb's?
I found a trek fuel (used) on bike exchange RRP is between $4000 and $8000aud, this one is selling for $450. It seems to have some rust and paint scratches etc. Needs the break discs cleaned, rust maybe looked at on the gears, some scratches on the frame (not really important to me) and a new seat.

Does it seem worth it? It's obviously seen some mud but I'm thinking for 400 bucks it might be worth a look.
I can post link but not sure if that's acceptable here, I've been banned for less
>>
I've had a hybrid for over 10 years but I've been considering a road bike if I can find a good sale. I'm on road 99% of the time.

What do I have to know about road bikes before getting one?
>>
>>1992208
If it's a custom you can have a long headtube and a shorter seattube so you get ball clearence. For reference I have a 34.25in inseam and fit a 60cm ctc road bike great with 23 or 25c tires. I have a 62cm bike and that's cozy with my sack, and the stem could be lower.
Smaller is better if you want lots of bar drop, but I find all that means is I just use the drops less.
>>
>>1992224
I'm an idiot but I feel like looking at used could be worth it, I found a few carbon italian frames online this morning that retail at thousands of dollars not even considering the rest of the bike- that arguably just needed some loving, and selling for a couple hundred bucks

sorry for my useless opinion either way
>>
>>1992224
Don't fall for the cable disc scam. Either fully commit to modernity, or accept that you're stuck with narrow tires and QR.
>>
>>1992224
You will adapt to the bars and weight on your hands. Get in the drops if you want to brake hard, and be in better control on descents.
>>
>>1992227
>fully commit to modernity
by getting a bike with the tire clearance that will let you traverse unmaintained Roman roads speedily.
>>
>>1992179
sounds janky af. even if you got it to work, it just seems like one of those things that would constantly go out of place.
>>
>>1992223
people post Craigslist links here all the time without issue, so I assume yours is fine .
we do mtb here, also there's a thread on/xs/ usually. don't personally know about that stuff.
>>
>>1992241
thanks for the heads up
>>1992223
in that case here is the link
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/dual-suspension-mountain-bikes/trek/nsw/centennial-park/trek-dual-suspension-mountain-bike/118667944
>>
File: 1711732365564995.png (76 KB, 621x325)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>1992224
tops: super casual coasting, upright allows good traffic scouting but personally I always use the ramps
ramps: see above or also just a good alternative to hoods to give your grip a break.
hoods: best all around position, going fast, climbs, whatever. use it when figuring out your stem height and reach.
hooks: fast descents, lowers your body and best braking. also good alternative grip for normal riding.
drops: good for laying down power in a climb, in or out of the saddle. also good for strong headwinds.

the height and tilt of the bar is much less forgiving than other bars, there's like one position that works and dialing it in takes a lot of time and discovery.
>>
should you avoid jumping off curbs on road bikes? in particular aluminum frame race geometry. I slow down and crawl over them but am I okay to just fly off of them?
>>
>>1992272
if your tire pressure is on the higher side and your wheels are built well, it will be fine. but if you arent prepared to replace a dented rim, then don't risk it. no reason to.
>>
>>1992278
alright thanks
>>
its beyond me how the ZFC doo hasn't tested pure paraffin wax as a control.
>>
>>1992281
https://youtu.be/BelnkR7djXk

i guess since paraffin has different grades it's not a super reliable test since it will vary by source
>>
>>1992283
yeah he tested that to see how a poor quality wax does. he himself states to use the highest grade paraffin you can get (gulf canning wax is what he recommends) and not to just use any old candle wax.
>>
File: 2024-04-20_06-28.png (376 KB, 697x412)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
these are dudes right?
>>
>>1992272
I broke a campagnolo low flange hub that way. Was only 160-180lbs at the time.
>>
>>1992245
Why no mention of shoulders?
>>
File: 1694303608296299.png (391 KB, 800x800)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
What are my options for replacing pic related? The barrel thread snapped and I don't care to fix it. It's 160mm rotor, I don't really care about stopping power, I regularly ride caliper/v-brake/hydraulic brakes and it makes no difference to me.
So cheap options are preferred. Are v-brake adapters any good?
>>
>>1992272
I used to do it all the time when I worked downtown. alu road bike on mavic with 23s. the hard part was hopping up. gotta get a lot of speed and road bikes don't want to hop as high as mtb. but if you have to speed and ups it'll go just above curb height. of course, Matryn Ashton could hop over a fuckin chair, although he would lower his seat.
>>
>>1992342
have *the speed
>>
New
>>1992357
>>1992357
>>1992357
>>
>>1991715
>heattech
aren't those warm? seems bad for summer
>>
>>1992338
The cable tension screw?? Surely you can get a new one from tektro for like $5, that's at least as easy as buying a whole new caliper.

Either way, any cheap mech caliper will work for your bum ass. Just buy the same exact model

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.