[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: WIP_norn_queen_banner.jpg (710 KB, 1000x828)
710 KB
710 KB JPG
Work in Progress "Norn Queen" Edition

>Full-on /WIP/ OP Links Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/BE42AEcD

>WIP Tutorial Images Mega
https://mega.nz/#F!TvQFCaLb!w8WZKCcOsTRasxrI0JWezw

>Saint Duncan's "Six Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Painting"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufP8ka3KGno

>Saint Duncan also explains thinning your paints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

>Paint thinning 102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI

>4 EASY Chipping Tricks For Beginners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4comhKHJM

>Decal Like a Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYKLiEW7p9c

>How to Edge Highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRbYuAfbEk

>How to use contrast style paints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhholrozptI

>How to Paint with Tremors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

>Who's Johnny, she'd say, and smile in her special way
https://1d6chan.miraheze.org/wiki/Johnny

Previous threads:
>>94061758
>>94048386
>>94027515
>>94010949
>>
>>94075973
FINISH THE THICCTOR! It's the weekend and a man's gotta fap
>>
File: Kommandos - First 5.png (977 KB, 1515x875)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
Orktober continues, first 5 kommandos assembled and gap filled (bottom 3 are pre-gap filled pic). Letting the sprue goo cure and I may need to do some light sanding or shaping tomorrow, then on to priming.
>>
File: overlordglaive.jpg (89 KB, 918x948)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
I've got a Necron Overlord (Glaive Version) off ebay for cheap and I'm a weeb so I wanna do him in Eva 02 colors. The problem I'm coming up with is what color to do the glaive if I make the body mostly red/orange. Feel like also making the glaive the same color is a bit overwhelming? I don't know I'm really bad at color schemes I usually go by the box or some preexisting scheme. help bros.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (141 KB, 500x364)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>94076086
Green or blue would work, or you could even do a saturated purple with lighter highlights. The same glaive scheme in your pic would look pretty good with the red.
>>
I'm looking for a primer to spray from an airbrush
I need it to work well on resin, brass, standard pewter and plastic
I thought about stynylrez but apparently the formula has changed?
I have vallejo surface primer but I've always had issues with it
There's Mr Surfacer 1500 but I don't really want to set up my room for spraying it
>>
bros I'm new to this stuff so I bought vallejo black grey and white primers, and I just tested brushing them all on, and man I think I'm going to be priming everything in black. the other two felt horrific to apply, while black went on perfect in one coat.
>>
>>94076086
If you want to go eva themed then you could do lance of longinus or the weapons the mass production evas use which are based on the lance. The shape kind of matches the mass production evas a bit more and it fits more with the colors you want, but Lance of longinus would be more fitting for 02. For what it's worth, I don't think that having the weapon based on the Lance of longinus would be boring at all, but of course it's your mini so it's entirely up to you.
>>
>>94076107
I was considering the mass production evas black and grey blade or whatever you want to call it that they use, but maybe just making it red for lance of longinus would be easier / better. Not sure.
>>
>>94076103
I use all surface craft paint. It really works well, I shit you not it has the best adhesion on metal of any airbrush primer I've tried. Brand doesn't matter, just make sure it's intended for metal.
It's not hard to spray either, just mix it with water in a plastic blister like Angel Giraldez does. When it can be poured out of the blister it is thin enough, no guessing necessary.
It's an off brand usage so make sure you use a respirator in case it's spicy, it's still way easier than enamels.
>>
>>94073845
>>94074455
>>94074481
>>94074530
>speedpaint 2.0 reactivation
I thought that was fixed.
Does speedpaint medium have a reactivation problem? I went out and bought some speedpaint medium to thin my AP washes because the last thread introduced me to Sonic Sledgehammer and marine juice.
>>
Has anyone ever tried using oil paints for doing black chaos trim..? I'm wondering what the caveats are.

If I spend a lot of time doing the armor color, airbrush gradient, some glazing, highlights etc, I'm scared when I do black acylic on trim, some errant strokes will put some scars on my beautiful work that will he really hard to fix. But if it was oil I could just clean up with spirits right? Would oil look as good? And you could highlight and stuff on it as normal?
>>
File: 20241003_163320.jpg (597 KB, 2880x2880)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
Dr Mangelé nearly done
>>
I have finished and poorly photographed my Cazadores. The 6th Company, Cazadores de África. Some trucks and a blocao thrown in with them.
>>
I changed the flags a bit. The Company Commander has the Company Standard, while the first and second rifle sections have unique battle flags.
>>
>>94076282
it doesn't really reactivate when you paint over it like 1.0 did
it will absolutely freak out if you're careless while varnishing, especially with polyurethane varnishes
>>
>>94076476
Is it safe for the paintjob to brush varnish regular acrylic varnish over the speedpaint medium'd mixed acrylic washes?
Only reason I'm asking is because I haven't started and want to avoid a potential problem.
>>
File: Neurolictor WIP 4.png (1 MB, 726x874)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
pretty much done, but there a few little spots here and there I'm sure I can always touch up.
>>
File: Neurolictor WIP 5.png (1000 KB, 716x851)
1000 KB
1000 KB PNG
>>94076720
>>
>>94076500
I haven't had issues with thin layers of AK interactive ultra matte over speedpaint fire giant orange
>>
>>94076744
Alright thanks. Here I was thinking I had wasted some money.
>>
>>94076321
If your workflow is otherwise acrylic you're kinda throwing yourself a monkey wrench if you randomly add oil for the trim. It takes a while to dry and acrylic doesn't adhere to it well.
The new meta for chaos trim is to prime in the trim color and paint on the "main" armor color.
You could also basecoat the armor first, varnish it, and just have a wet brush ready if the trim goes out of bounds.
>>
what if you did an army of tyranids but painted them like crayfish?
wouldnt that just be tasty?
>>
>>94076500
Acrylic varnish is good 99% of the time, it won't reactivate anything that paint wouldn't reactivate. As an added bonus, acrylic paint can cure through acrylic varnish, so if you put it on a little too early you don't have to worry.
Polyurethane is the troublemaker, ironically Vallejo polyurethane varnish will reactivate Vallejo Express paints.
>>
>>94076945
You're supposed to use spray paint in a well ventilated space, anon
>>
I managed to finish basecoating the carapace and paint the Toxic Miasma and gills on the sides of the Heat Vents before retiring for the night. If all goes well, I will hopefully be able to finish the entire carapace tomorrow and make him look good as new, or maybe even better.
At the very least, it is pretty nice to have my favorite biomorph finally sculpted onto him, so I look forward to how it’ll stick out once it’s all done.
>>
>>94076720
>>94076731
Good job, don't see a lot of 'nids that play up the horror.
>>94076945
It would paint fast too since they're pretty shrimple.
>>94076960
Kek.
>>
>>94076321
Only way to know is to try it out on a test model for yourself. The skin armor on these guys is wicked nice.
>>
>>94076321
Matte varnish before you paint on the trim then, any overspill can be wiped off with a damp brush.
>>
File: P1040107.jpg (238 KB, 1080x1080)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
A model a day for Orktober, Day 4: Another Flash Git.
>>
File: IMG_3871.jpg (2.93 MB, 4030x2231)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
Just highlight, base, and varnish left on these guys and then I can start on a chimera, inquisitor, and five stormtroopers.
>>
File: IMG_20241005_002919723~3.jpg (792 KB, 2297x2419)
792 KB
792 KB JPG
Still working on the first kommando boy. I need to add another layer to the skin, mask and pants. Two layers to the axe and sword handle wraps, then the rest of the backpack before calling him done enough to base.
>>
>>94077091
>Only way to know is to try it out on a test model for yourself.
The only reason this thread exists is to share information. Nothing wrong with experimentation but he asked a question.
>>
>>94077144
>have hypothesis
>need experimentation to confirm
>research existing studies/seek council from knowledgeable persons first
>now you have a higher baseline of knowledge with which to construct a more effective experiment
that's just good science
>>
>>94077117
If I took that mask off would he die?
>>
>>94077251
He's a big guy.
>>
>get model to 90% finished
>no longer want to work on it
Why am I like this?
>>
>>94076086
Green or purple. Green and red are complementary colors
>>
>>94077459
Where can I learn the color theory for making color schemes?
>>
File: 1585073384304.png (494 KB, 1000x540)
494 KB
494 KB PNG
>>94077101
holy moly thats a big ass dakka
>>
File: Stompa'n down the steps.jpg (781 KB, 1669x2244)
781 KB
781 KB JPG
Orktober calls for aid, and the twin stompa list will answer.
>>
File: 11.jpg (26 KB, 360x360)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>94077466
I just have basic knowledge because I attended some art classes when I was young, so there's much more to it than this, but those are the basics. You have the primary colors from which you can make all colors, and they all have an "opposite" color which is the mix of the other two. See pic rel. So when you are looking for something to balance your main color you can look at this
>>
File: IMG_20241005_092941_3~2.jpg (1.61 MB, 3144x3392)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>94077527
I raise you a third stompa, be in heavy WIP stage. Few days off being stomps looking but yesterday got good progress, got feet finished, filled it with filler stuff, gonna get some pauldrons material today and after that I will only need a head.
>>
>>94077574
Thank you! Just that was actually a pretty big help, I know nothing about color theory so that was actually able to give me some inspiration for the color scheme I'm trying to figure out currently.
>>
>>94077466
>buy some artist acrylics (just primaries, white and black. shouldn't be a crazy investment)
>alternatively, you could get monopigment mini paints, but this is easier to do with thicker stuff that dries slower.
>make your own color wheel from the primaries with as much granularity as you can muster
>mix complementary colors to make grey
>mix black and white to make grey
>mix those greys with colors to see how the effect is different
>try to replicate some colors you see around you
woosh. you're now more competent than like 90% of mini painters.
>>
>>94077636
You're welcome. It should be enough most of the time, even for details. For example my Kriegsmen have a blue coat, so some of the metallics like their button, or the gasmask metal joints are copper (orange) which helps them pop in contrast to the blue
>>
>>94077639
It's true, but I feel like it's too much of a hassle in this hobby especially when you can rely on a certain tone quite reliably. I mean, I'm not saying do not do your own mixes, you're free to do anything, my point is that you can follow recipes most of the time while understanding the basics and you can achieve great results that way, even for beginners.
>>
>>94077635
Oh shit I thought you homerigged a way to recast metal minis and I was going to complement you but you tricked me.
>>
What's the best way to seal the paint on MDF? Will testors matte lacquer work like it does on plastic? I got some terrain that has roofs that come off but it's going to rub the paint off of the chimney.
>>
>>94077101
I think you might have too much dakka on this one
>>
File: uhj.jpg (79 KB, 1180x1240)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
worked on this today
I'm afraid I'll ruin it but I'm tryin man
>>
>>94077927
You've got this, Anon! Slow and steady
>>
>>94077101
HOW ARE YOU SO FAST AND SO GOOD
I HAVENT EVEN FINISHED MY FIRST AOS ORRUK (it counts as an ork, right)
FUCK
(how many hours for this one, chief?)
>>
>>94077937
thanks babe
>>
File: 1222.png (786 KB, 631x845)
786 KB
786 KB PNG
This is my first miniature eve, am i doing okay so far?
>>
>>94077927
similar colors to mine, good taste :^)
>>
>>94078028
Paint all the model inside the lines and you will do better than most. Right now the weapon is very rough and the rest is flat, this is the part where you either wash it or try and learn layering, maybe both.
>>
>>94078028
Looks okay so far, it's in lines and the colors are nice. That weathering on the gun and armor is intentional, right? Because it looks pretty good. I'd add some shading next to add depth
>>
>>94076086
I'd go with the red for the lance and simply keep the energy effect for all the glowy parts green, gives enough contrast. Add a barren base with a bit of green details to tie it in more. I'd also just use silver/gunmetal instead of white cron. Red and Orange are enough work.
>>
File: 23232.jpg (111 KB, 1472x1702)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>94078089
to make it look less flat i need to use lighter paint to highlight the edges and darker colors to the wrinkles and shadows right? i only have like 5 paints and i was having a hard time with my home made wet pallette making the paint super runny.

>>94078093
it was intentional but not final. I don't have any gunmetal or silver so i wanted to see what mixing abaddon and white scar looked like when you dry brush
>>
File: 20241005_174416.jpg (2.29 MB, 2992x2992)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
Finished my first combat squad for my space marine army. Got some other units in the works. Looking forward to doing the storm hawk interceptor.

Some good models today, keep it up broskis
>>
Been working on a Nemesis Claw Kill Team to shill my version of wound tracker bases.
I need to stop using flourescent paints in glow effects, it screws up my cameras ability to create proper white balance.
>>
>>94078113
Paint looks quite thick in this pic, but keep trying to thin paints on the wet palette and you'll get the hang of it.
>use lighter paint to highlight the edges and darker colors to the wrinkles and shadows right?
That's the gist of it, yes. You can do that in a variety of ways. What colors do you have?
>>
>>94078142
>>
>>94078147
>Paint looks quite thick in this pic

I think its because i kept painting over the same spots repeatedly instead of doing a coat then waiting then doing another coat and hen leaving it alone.

castellan green,abaddon black,flayed one flesh
,white scar,zamesi desert,cadian fleshtone
>>
So I tried the marine juice on a painted model for the first time.
I kind of like the subtle shading. Not a fan of the glossy look that came out of it though, but that will get varnished down.
>>
>>94078153
I forgot to take a back picture for one guy, so I added in one where you can actually see the wound counter.
>>
>>94078169
wound counter base is pretty neat
>>
>>94077851
Not yet, however I do kinda wanna learn it some day when I am like old.
>>
File: gamma.gif (4.65 MB, 300x300)
4.65 MB
4.65 MB GIF
>>94078174
Thanks, you can find the KT relevant ones for free, if you look for woundcounter or woundtracker on cults3d.
>>
>>94078162
Ok. Looking at the scheme you're going for, I'd do the shadows by mixing cadian fleshtone and a touch of black (really, just a hint, black is strong in acrylics), dilute the darker color a lot and apply it to the recesses. For the highlights you can mix flayed one flesh with basically any color you have, then use it for highlights if you feel up to trying that, thin the paint as usual. White scar is pure white, you want to keep it for extreme highlights usually, but you can use it for mixes as well. Experiment a bit.
>>
>>94078185
brother don't, if you keep touching my like tha- BROTHER
>>
>>94078195
aight boss, i will try that tomorrow thanks.
>>
>>94078204
If you find that the mixes are too stark and want to smooth things out, mix some of the base "medium" color in as well, it will help with the transitions. The extreme application of that is diluting every step to a glaze consistency and going step by step. Very time consuming so probably not ideal for IG armies, but it's worth noting.
>>
>>94078195
Are there specific colors i should buy? Should i get box of Vallejo paints or something? Its seems like a lot of people who do tutorials use citadel namesin the video but own a shitload of vallejo or army painter paints. I bought 60 infantry, gun team, two different command squad things, two APCs and a thing of kasrkin and i still feel like im gonna end up spending more money on paint
>>
>>94077261
For you
>>
>>94077466
https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel
>>
Im going for a really simple, stark and scary look. Hopefully its not too over the top but stylistically its meant to simple but stark.
>>
File: IMG_1826.jpg (653 KB, 2684x1172)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
It's Gobbotober, bitch
>>
>leave painting very small details for today
>hands even more shaky than usual
fucks sake
>>
File: IMG_20241005_185614.jpg (132 KB, 815x958)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Is this color look like flesh wash?
>>
>>94078799
you literally have a picture in previous OP
>>
File: IMG_20241005_190600.jpg (160 KB, 994x881)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>94078813
The problem is i've never seen reikland flesh shade or vallejo flesh wash
>>
File: IMG_3157.jpg (2.15 MB, 4031x2493)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_3158.jpg (1.91 MB, 3826x2516)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
Should I paint the mortar green mat or metal ? What do you think ?

Is there a color that does metal but way darker like for weapons ?
>>
>>94076321
What color is that blue ??
>>
>>94076965
I was going for something like the old Codex Tyranids 3rd edition cover. Dark red, almost like a bloodstone kind of look. I was really surprised at the glossy look the dark brown was gave it, it's everything I was hoping for from the skin texture.

I don't personally like highlighting from an imaginary lightsource (aside from gimmick stuff, like trying to make it look like the brain is glowing and giving the shoulder plate a very slight green highlight). I'm actually kind of light-source blind, if I'm honest, so I prefer to give things a slight varnish where applicable and let them catch the light naturally.
>>
>paint mini
>think it looks like shit
>put it in drawer
>weeks later
>take it out
>think it looks great
anyone else experience this shit?
>>
File: grief-cycle-1.jpg (45 KB, 496x443)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>94078924
>>
>>94078924
I did a terrible india ink wash on a genestealer and hated it
ten years later it look like he's been living in a space hulk oil filter, and I love it.
>>
>>94078256
When starting out you better stay focused, get the colors you need and little else. That said, since you have a fair number of models to paint already, getting some specific shades saves time, mixing everytime can eat away a lot of hobby time when it piles up. A lot of painters go with triads out of convenience: you get a base tone, and a ligther and darker shade of the same color for highlights and shading. You can also get a wash for shading, that depends on how you wanna go at it. Not that familiar with the new citadel names, but you can find guides easily.

For the matter of vallejo etc, there's conversion charts around to help you find alternatives in other ranges. There should be one in the OP links IIRC. As a bit of personal advice, when looking for what exact shade you need google and check the image results, several colors on sites appear different than what they end up being on the model, this will save you a headache later.
>>
>>94078837
Metal is a bit stark, matte green would make more sense, and is probably going to be more historical as well. If you want to keep it metal, tone it down with a wash.
>Is there a color that does metal but way darker like for weapons ?
There are several shades of metallics from the vallejo metal color range, but haven't looked too much into it, there's probably some that are used for planes or ships that match what you're looking for. Otherwise, again, a couple of layers of a black wash over metallic brings it down nicely.
>>94078256
To elaborate a little bit more, the one think you are lacking now is a metallic color, get one silver of your choice.
>>
>>94079036
Thx !
>>
>>94078924
I keep a box on my desk, to keep my WIP in, for just this reason. When you've just painted something your eyes lock in on all the errors and flaws and it's fresh in your head how you wanted it to look. When you look at it the next day you're seeing it as how other people would see it, your eyes aren't immediately drawn to the flaws and you're probably not comparing it to the mental image you had before you started it.
>>
not really WIP but I'm downloading apparently the full 40k catalogue? stl objs, whatever
what can I do with it?
I'm more of a D&D guy, will GW sue me if I sell them on etsy?
>>
>>94078799
>>94078817
Guys? Please help
>>
>>94079106
Are you trying to make your own washes?
>>
>>94079106
Anon how can I figure out the right shade if you take two photos of the color still in those metal plates, with two different lights?

at least take a photo to compare them after spreading them both on a sheet of porous paper or on your skin
>>
>>94079075
Get back to us when you're sure what you're downloading and you're more of a "not getting sued" guy.
>>
File: 1704172691368129.jpg (135 KB, 1434x1058)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>94079327
This is folder #4, it's the full Tau catalogue I think
same thing for the other 3 folders
>>
>>94079340
Wow. Yeah if you print them it's essentially a recast and you could get in hot water selling them.
Most people who print official models do it for their personal army, what inspired you to download them if you don't play 40k?
If you do want to sell printed minis you are better off buying a license to reprint a third party's STLs commercially. Those you can sell on Etsy.
>buying a loicense
I know but it will pay for itself.
>>
>>94079379
you got a loicense foh dat plestic?
>>
File: download.gif (4.29 MB, 498x280)
4.29 MB
4.29 MB GIF
>>94079340
>>
File: 1706477742984427.jpg (109 KB, 882x734)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
here's folder 2, I have no idea of what's any of this
I want a big dreadnought

>>94079379
Thanks anon
I found the magnet torrent on r*ddit, it's not really somethign I was actively looking for
I like to paint miniatures, like I said I like D&D more but I was figuring out if I could do this on the side
I have a couple of 3d printers and was figuring out if I can sell them on etsy with off brand names like
>"grimdark space soldier" but you gave me a nice idea, I'll look into this LOISHENSHE thing

>>94079408
>>94079391
lmao
>>
>>94079425
Part of me wants to print out the Forge World stuff in FDM. Having the time of my life while everyone sees the print lines and SEETHES they spend thousands.
Alas, I don't print for logistical reasons and can't be bothered to do the cloak and dagger to buy recasts online.
>>
>>94079441
>FDM
I got a SLA btw so I know they're going to be just like the real thing
maybe I'll print one from these torrents and post the results in the next few days
>>
File: IMG_20241005_215557.jpg (27 KB, 212x341)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>94079264
The bottom pic is probably the right color
>>94079253
Yes, but i don't know what is the actual color of Reikland flesh shade
>>
>>94077445
Combination of sadness that the model will be done and you wont need to work on it anymore with some excitement for what you'll paint next? I definitely get the former.
>>
>>94078924
Happens a lot when you do oil washes as well. The camera picks up on a lot of the new reflective highlights so it looks wrong, but once it dries and mattes out a few days later you can see the new shadows in pics clearly.
>>
>>94077994
>(how many hours for this one, chief?)
90 minutes is my estimate. I didn't keep track. This one's pretty rough all things considered. No blending. Lots of contrast paints. Only a quick edge highlight.

>>94077922
No such 'fing.

>>94077520
Yeah, it's among my favorites in the squad.

>>94077527
Stompas are surprisingly decent with all the Dread Mob stratagems and meks babysitting it. I don't think I'd field two though it would be funny to have a Brutal but Kunnin' one and a Kunnin' but Brutal' one.

>>94077117
Pretty good so far anyway.

>>94078028
Way better than my first. Seems like you've got some decent knowledge base already.
>>
File: PXL_20241005_152351350.jpg (1.48 MB, 3072x4080)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>
>>94078924
>>94079066
I can still see all the flaws, but when I look at my minis as a group I feel better. It's hard to focus on the little shit when I have a bunch of table ready stuff.
>>
>>94078924
Usually what happens is when it's new, I know how I intended it to come out and it's never exactly that so I feel disappointment.
Once I forget what I was going for, or even how I did it, it looks pretty neat from a neutral perspective.
Keep in mind, if a paint job is just plain botched I'll strip it, I'm not going to huff copium, but I'm talking about minis where they're like 70% of how I wanted them to be.
>>
>>94077101
Would really need some muzzle flashes to sell the casings flying out. Great paint job though.
>>
File: 20241003_222053.jpg (414 KB, 1200x935)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>>94075986
Working on it, here you can have this for now
>>
>>94079839
>dat ass
Thank you, thicctor anon. That'll do nicely
>>
>>94079839
why have they made nids sexy now
>>
>>94079893
For the mentally ill sex pest market. Coomers gotta coonsume product too.
>>
>>94079893
the hive mind decided that they will win faster by using the weakness of the human penis
>>
>>94079893
it'd be foolish to assume that Slaanesh is the only faction exploiting the human libido. The fact that not every faction is employing cheesecake psy-ops to seduce the enemy is insane
>>
File: 1697992631798086.png (10 KB, 876x491)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
Missed last thread. There was discussion about marine juice and mid-brown being discontinued.
Back before they were out an anon emailed army painter about it, it was just renamed to sepia tone.
>>
File: Genestealer cult.png (512 KB, 690x598)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
>>94079893
>>94079940
>>94079989
Corpes guy is cringe, big cake nids are based, simple as.
>>
File: bros.jpg (422 KB, 1612x1209)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
Progress continues on Archon, I liked the shading on his cloak enough that I worked up the courage to start on my Lokhir with a similar scheme.

For the Archon I really want to make it look like a crafted Eastern mask, not a face worn as one. I'm thinking of painting long wiry eyebrows and maybe a beard at the bottom, think it would work?
>>
>>94079642
> Stompas are surprisingly decent with all the Dread Mob stratagems and meks babysitting it. I don't think I'd field two though

Oh, it is 100% just a meme list whose purpose is to show up to games with like a 10 to 12 model ork list and confound the enemy.
>>
File: spiterider_wip.jpg (624 KB, 1000x1000)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
ok calling him done for now, gonna base tomorrow and maybe do some touchups on the banner because my hands were so fucking shaky today I couldn't be precise enough. What do you think, fellas? Does the color scheme work?
>>
>>94077866
You should seal MDF first before painting. I recommend shellac spray. If you've already painted it, any varnish that works on acrylic paints will work.
>>
Is it true that hobby paints use dyes to offset titanium white's pale effect? From my experience with dyes only a small handful are lightfast, it really doesn't seem like a good idea, but I've wondered how they got their saturated colors so opaque.
>>
File: 172723943018362592.jpg (1.05 MB, 3599x2699)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>94080433
Maybe I am using the wrong term. I primed it with a few coats of white scar before I painted. I'm just trying to keep the paint from chipping off. This is my test modle and I would like to get a good system down before I paint the rest of buildings.
>>
File: 20240901_211721.jpg (654 KB, 3000x4000)
654 KB
654 KB JPG
>>94076945
My m8's nids (the whole 3 of them he's finished in as many years, that is) are in a blue coconut crab scheme
>>
File: IMG_20241005_094518.jpg (2.72 MB, 3264x2448)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
Octopus chaos freakazoid in progress. I'm gonna do a blue ring octopus with bone and copper armor, but I'm undecided on that tabard color
>>
File: IMG_20241005_094503.jpg (2.8 MB, 3264x2448)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
I'm having to redo this guy after he got attacked by a dropping wyvern.
There was a guy that painted up a nightguant with a really cool face under a sheet and needed suggestions on which colors to do for roses a while ago that I was looking to get advice from.
For this guy's chest orb, I want to do a neon green screaming face inside and was wondering if you had any pointers, everybody else is welcome too
>>
>>94080680
>THE EMPEROR'S TRASHCAN SHALL NOT BE YOURS TO DEVOUR, XENOS FILTH!
>>
>>94080740
It's my character: I'm da Trash Man! I come out, I charge Custodes all over the tabletop, and then... I START EATIN' GARBAGE
>>
File: 20241005_110159.jpg (1.36 MB, 3515x1498)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
Finished up my Court of the Archon from Artel W today. Pretty happy with the results.
>>
>>94080098

>>94078164 anon posted a before and after marine juice. Comes out kind of glossy.
>that pic
can anyone confirm that mid-brown and sepia tone are the same shade?
I know the customer service says so but a visual would be nice.
>>
>>94080871
>ZoanOscar the NeuroGrouch
>The Geneseed Monster
>Elmospex
>The Screamer-Grover

Oh god what is my brain DOING
>>
>>94080896
Just because it's the weekend doesn't mean you have an excuse not to take your meds, anon
>>
>>94081002
>This program was brought to you by the letter SCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>94078164
My AP washes come out matte, weird.
>>94080893
It looks a bit different, it's as if they split mid brown into sepia tone and rust tone: https://youtu.be/EFuFX47sYk0?t=695
Marine Juice isn't written in stone though, Sonic Sledgehammer has like 3 recipes for it at this point. There's a cool brown, a warm brown, and a medium. If you're trying to colormatch an original Forge World mini that ship has sailed a long time ago.
>>
>>94081084
I rest my case
>>
>>94081087
>My AP washes come out matte, weird.
Anon probably got a bad AP dark tone batch and the glossiness is the result of that. Just spitballing a theory. It could be an advantageous opportunity as if he uses something like AK's ultra-matte, he could varnish over the gloss and any gloss showing is a spot he missed.
>If you're trying to colormatch an original Forge World mini that ship has sailed a long time ago.
True. The best we can get is as close to the wash as possible is the darktone+lahmian medium+reikland fleshshade.
>>
File: Neurolictor WIP 6.png (947 KB, 734x908)
947 KB
947 KB PNG
after I took this photo I realized I'd left one of its little knee-thumbs black.
oh well, here's better lighting of what I thought was a finished product.
>>
File: 624px-Sepiapharaonis.jpg (91 KB, 624x480)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>dusted off my airbrush and painted up a new mini
>forgot that acrylic inks need medium added for adhesion
>the high points rubbed off when I applied a wash
>>
>>94081126
Kek, my dumb ass misremembered the recipe and I've been using strong tone and flesh wash. It literally does not matter.
>>
>>94081142
>try out airbrush
>constantly jams
I know I'm retarded with my airbrush. I've got the tools to deep clean it now, and airbrush cleaner, but lemme tell you anons. It sucks that I will be forced to learn how to airbrush as the season is getting colder.
>>
>>94080652
Yeah any acrylic or lacquer varnish should work as a topcoat, especially ones made for minis. Even a Krylon or Rustoleum spray can would work if they say "for plastic" on the can.
I'd tend to avoid actual lacquers because they have a tendency to yellow.
>>
>>94081157
>strong tone and flesh wash
As a mix?
>It literally does not matter.
It matters for my autism. I'm becoming the next schizo about his washes. I've ordered the ingredients for nu-marine juice and 60ml dropper bottles.
This whole talk about washes has made me want to mix washes to see what comes out. My problem is that I might return to my hobby bad habit of spending what little hobby time I have just mixing paints to see if I can find a perfect colour.
>>
>>94081158
Deep cleaning is overrated, I've never had a problem that couldn't be handled by putting iso in the cup and working the action until it dissolves whatever is there. The way it was explained to me, if you can't get cleaner there without disassembly, paint couldn't get in there either, so you shouldn't need to disassemble unless something seriously went wrong, otherwise you risk damaging the needle.
What do you think the clogs are from? Tip dry? Is paint drying in the cup and then getting sucked in? Just not thinning enough?
>>
>>94077445
Discipline basically. Anyone can *start* something, it takes dedication to *finish*. Just accept that by the end of any given project you'll almost certainly be sick of it and enjoy the fun parts for what they are.
>>
>>94081200
>As a mix?
Yeah, it's the marine juice recipe except I thought it was supposed to be strong tone instead of dark tone.
>I'm becoming the next schizo about his washes.
>spending what little hobby time I have just mixing paints to see if I can find a perfect colour.
I've been there, don't do that.
>>
File: 20241005_190616.jpg (761 KB, 2180x1460)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
Busy weekend as I'm ill so just painting away. Here's the finished kitbash company command squad or whatever they're called these days. These started off as Leviathan sternguard.
>>
File: 20241005_190718.jpg (656 KB, 2206x1267)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
And some victrix guard for the chapter master.
>>
File: 1707619602091256.png (491 KB, 666x666)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
>>94081254
DAMN that's clean.
>>
File: 20241005_190403.jpg (1000 KB, 1601x2504)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
Finally, a WIP drop pod because I think they're neat and one of the squads needed a transport.
>>
>>94081158
The good thing about it getting colder is that the air gets drier, so condensation inside the lines is less of an issue
>>
File: IMG_20241005_165750_4.jpg (1.02 MB, 2836x3199)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
Well made base head for the stompa, and pauldrons, gonna do some gap filling with some random materials and then might be good time to spend few days filing away at this, coating it in texture paste and adding rivetes and what not
>>
>>94081292
I think there's something wrong with your dog, anon...
>>
>>94081318
It's gonna be fine...just needs to be set on fire a few times
>>
>>94081254
>>94081267
>>94081280
very clean, love the firstborn helmets, good shit anon
>>
>>94081254
>PRIMARCH PROGENITO -ACK
>>
>>94081230
I'm honestly not sure. I'm just too new to airbrushing at the moment.
I only know how to emergency dunk the airbrush into 99 percent iso and clean the nozzle tip and backflow the paint out of the cup. That's about it.
>>
>>94080892
4 arm snake lady is cool looking rest are dumb, coomshit, or both, but i like your color scheme
>>
>>94081254
What's your secret for edge highlighting? And what brush do you use?
>>
>>94077144
Its more that I have no idea if the thinned oils will react or strip off the paint that you use. I don't have an issue using oils on proacryl primers or acrylics most of the time, but if the paint or primer gets a tiny tear it will get under the paint and cause areas to peel off. You can varnish the models first, but that does affect how much the oils will stain and the final color.

If you want to try, ivory black would probably work. It leans a little blue and is semitransparent. Student grade oil paints sometimes have bits of hard pigment in them that will rip paint, so either pull them out really well or spend the extra $2 a tube for the cheapest artist grade paint. Winsor & Newton ivory black is $9 for a tube and will last you for life with how little you need. Thin it down with odorless mineral spirits, thinning in a clear plastic cup helps you see that its all thinned and mixed thoroughly. How thick you want it depends on how much staining you want, since its a semitransparent the thicker it is the more it will cover over whats under it. Let it dry for a good 20 or 30 minutes, you want the sheen to be gone, then you can wipe away excess.
>>
>>94081267
What blue did you use ?
>>
File: Color Theory.png (1.66 MB, 600x8729)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>94077466
>>
>>94081254
>>94081267
>>94081280
Those are some absolutely beautiful marines anon, amazing work.
>>
thinking of gettign a new airbrush and being rid of my old one, that is big and loud and clunky.
how's this one look? I saw someone at my local with it and he says it works wonders, and it seems so convenient.
>https://www.amazon.ca/XDOVET-Rechargeable-Multi-Function-Dual-Action-Compressor/dp/B0CG5CN7YF?th=1
>>
>>94081611
The real ones are big and clunky for a reason.
>rechargeable
The clock is running the first time you use it.
>>
>>94081555
But why do purple and green work together?
>>
>>94081611
Looks kinda shitty ngl. The issue with that style of cheap-o, low-voltage compressor is that the airflow tends to be fairly inconsistent compared to a higher voltage standard compressor with or without a tank.
Just get you a Mr. Hobby GSI Creos airbrush and a standard compressor (there's literally one model (you can find it with or without a tank though) that all the different companies just slap their own sticker on)
>>
>>94080892
What paint for that bone armor?
Thanks.
>>
File: file.png (42 KB, 364x415)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>94081678
>>
>>94081611
>rechargeable
>airbrush
>wonders
sure buddy, if the alternative is a straw and your lungs

there are silent ones but are pricy, alternatively if you know a welder you can ask them to make you one with a scrap fridge compresor and an empty propane tank or fire extinguiser
>>
File: 20240308_105751.jpg (517 KB, 1491x1603)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>>94079441
>Part of me wants to print out the Forge World stuff in FDM. Having the time of my life while everyone sees the print lines and SEETHES they spend thousands.
Dangerously based!
I swear at tabletop distances this bad boy looks good (enough)!
>>
>>94078444
Thanks anon, I'll definitely be using this to experiment a bit and see what I like.

>>94081555
This is extremely helpful and informative, thank you so much anon.
>>
>>94081678
Unique medicinal properties
>>
>>94081728
>bubba'd compressor
Do you keep it next to your Israeli-made pager?
>>94081788
The fuck, FDM gets way better than that.
>>
>>94081715
thanks doc
>>
>>94079425
Can you share the magnet link?

Been looking for something like this for a while.
>>
File: P1011321.jpg (379 KB, 1612x1209)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>94081807
Yeah, not claiming to know a ton about 3d printing, but I've seen some FDM prints recently that were almost as good as the resin stuff. Might depend on the printer, setup and print files though.

>>94077527
Barely related... but I need to finish these guys. Painted 8k of Epic Orks a few years ago... then stalled. Probably still got another 22k needing painted... but you can blame the Mega-Gargants for that.
>>
>>94081942
Are those 3D printed?
>>
Edge highlighted the redof my 3d printed Trukk proxy
>>
File: IMG_0383.jpg (1.9 MB, 4032x3024)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
Workin on my sisters today
>>
>>94081807
>Do you keep it next to your Israeli-made pager?
pic is not mine, but I will get one fo those when my chinesium one lets out the magic smoke, they are half the cost as a similar hobby branded one
>>
File: 1657059108734.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>94082048
>when my chinesium one lets out the magic smoke
Based engineering mage.
>>
File: Thicctor_basing_boogalo.jpg (2.12 MB, 3905x2604)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
Just need to fix up the basing with some paint and I think she's done.
>>
>>94082140
I like it, and this sint to downplay how good or authentic it looks, but I think this girl woulda been better more flat chested
>>
File: P1011315.jpg (5.24 MB, 4032x3024)
5.24 MB
5.24 MB JPG
>>94081947
No... they're 6mm scale Stompas from the old 'Epic' games system GW sold in the 80's and 90's. One is a plastic version, from the 'Stompas' boxed set from 2nd ed Epic, whilst the other two are cast in lead from the earlier version of the game. You don't see many of the metal ones about... but I think I have about 15 of the plastic ones.

Weird old GW stuff is my hobby.
>>
>>94082203
But then you don't get Neuron Activation.
>>
File: 20240914_122654.jpg (3.21 MB, 4080x3060)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
Trying to do a drow color scheme but the skin looks a little lifeless. If I do a flesh/peach tone wash will that correct it?
>>
>>94082140
I love her. What's she proxied as?
>>
>>94076945
Sounds like absolute cancer.
>>
>>94082264
I'm almost thinking light purple, bluish red blood wouldn't have the same tint under grey skin.
I would test it first though, this mini is pretty good so far so I'd hate to experiment on it.
>>
>>94082140
Thanks, man!
>unzips penis
I'll be back in 3 minutes
>>
>>94082335
Your penis has a zipper on it?
>>
File: Bonk.png (402 KB, 675x460)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>94082267
I guess I could run her as a Norn emissary, they about the same size, but I'm not sure the other players would appreciate it.
>>
>>94082339
Please tell me you are baiting.
>>
>>94082263
I do, from the ass cheeks
>>
>>94081995
Omg painting those small beads would drive me insane.
>>
>>94082351
I'm not the one talking about a penis that unzips.
>>
File: IMG_0385.png (4.3 MB, 1170x2532)
4.3 MB
4.3 MB PNG
>>94082399
Nail brushes make it so easy
>>
>>94082551
Interesting. Look like maybe they'd be worth getting for certain things? I guess I'd be worried about how well they handle acrylics vs. real paints like the kinds used on nails with real solvents.
>>
>>94082351
Obviously he is, how could you possibly use a penis that doesn't unzip?
>>
File: 20241005_223438.jpg (1.23 MB, 2519x3473)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
On one hand, it's merely basecoating. On the other I was not able to paint for months, so I consider this a win already.
>>
>>94082583
I got through about 20 models with one considering they only cost .40 cents each they are worth it
>>
>>94082551
do these things even hold enough paint to not dry before you get your brush to the mini?
>>
>>94082626
I get about 5 beads done before having to add more paint
>>
File: 1000036582.jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x1816)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
the main guys of my first painted army, need to start working through the backlog I've made while procrastinating.
>>
>>94082350
>not sure the other players would appreciate it
It's a high-quality sculpt and paintjob. Unless you are playing with literal faggots it won't be a problem.
>>
>>94082709
>It's a high-quality sculpt and paintjob. Unless you are playing with literal faggots it won't be a problem.
Paint job and sculpt are good, but having played with plenty of people who force worse shit you never know how people will react or what others have seen. The "rapemarine" 3D printed EC army I saw once who had his opponent quit mid-game because of the creepy comments about fighting SoB was a wake up call for me.
>>
>>94082315
I did consider a magenta glaze but think it might be too overwhelming when I'm aiming for a lavender tone overall. Not worried too much about the rest of the model desu, it's all still a work in progress, the robe is patchy as hell and I'm thinking of swapping the brass for a greenish gold.

Guess I'll dig out a test model and try and remember the blend I used for this thing in the first place.
>>
File: giphy.gif (647 KB, 480x385)
647 KB
647 KB GIF
>>94082729
>The "rapemarine" 3D printed EC army
Go on...
>>
File: Color Theory 2.png (739 KB, 1054x1600)
739 KB
739 KB PNG
>>94081791
Here's another one, a lot of the same information but some other stuff as well. And remember that these are general relationships and not gospel, nothing stopping you from putting whatever colors you want together (how it'll look is another matter).
>>
>>94082769
EC with female civilians/guards/SoB strapped to the front naked and being fucked. "Sexual assault rifles" and the rope bound, giant demonesses proxied as Defiliers. I do not personally mind cheesecake, but why anyone would bring an army with visible nudity/sex to a LGS and kept saying weird stuff like "I capture but do not kill the squad, hehe." and running to the bathroom mid-game- probably to masturbate, and think is it fine is beyond me. Wargaming should not be weird, horny fetish stuff in public.
>>
File: wip diy vs vallejo xpress.jpg (329 KB, 2926x1036)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
I just tried some of the Vallejo Xpress colors and I have to admit I'm not impressed, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
So I decided I'm gonna ask for some advice from people who may have more experience with the xpress paint line.

The Xpress stuff is on the two models on the right here. As you can see it dries a bit glossy, but that is not the issue, as I'm gonna varnish the models anyway. The problem is that you can see that there is some kind of uneven texture in the recesses where it dried glossy. Maybe tiny airbubbles? And on the model on the right you can see some of the pigment sloughing off of the angled parts of the cape on the righthand side where the color underneath shows through. It also dried very uneven, giving a mottled effect.

For comparison I put the two model on the left in there with a DIY mix that I put together while I was sitting at my painting desk staring at the terrible finish on the Xpress paints. That is just a AP wash with drop of green ink for reference.
Not as vibrant, but I didn't add much ink, so an easy fix, if I have to resort to that.

Judging by this (and some other Xpress colors I tested on the front of these minis) I'm on the verge of saying that I wasted my money on something that I mixed better myself the first attempt with stuff that was already on my desk. I don't really want to believe that a professional paint manufacturer would get something so simple so wrong, so maybe there is something I did wrong? I did not thin them beyond the water that was on my brush and applied a thin even coat top to bottom.
>>
>>94082826
how the fuck are people retarded enough to do something like that, jesus
>>
>>94082826
That's hilarious. Creepy AF, too
>>
>>94082140
Lictor? Damn near killed 'er!
>>
Finally getting around to painting again and priming my kommandos, thought I'd take the opportunity to take some pics of the proacryl primer since another Anon asked months ago. Bare GW plastic, dark neutral grey, and black all next to each other with the same light for easy comparison.
>>
>>94082854
No clue. Working at a lgs showed me a lot of socially inept people. When you look at a lot of the third party 3D models where tits, ass and gooch are on display it does not help that some people seem to think these are fine to print and take to a store.
>>94082864
Somehow it was still not the worst of the "horny miniature players" I encountered. One had a "pin-up" DKoK army and got caught asking the owners twelve year old daughter if she had ever masturbated before. Owner stomped the shit out of him and not a single witness saw it, coincidentally.
>>
>>94082844
I have a fuckload of Xpress colors from Vallejo, and I have never had anything similar, anon. JuanHidalgo has a few videos in which he is using the Xpress line, and there is no issue like that either. For example: https://youtu.be/1GkO13L4lQk
The only thing that comes to mind is that yours might have been incorrectly stored or REALLY old paints.
>>
>wanna do space wolves
>primaris are so fucking devoid of character
>"upgrade" pack is dogshit
I hope one day we get proper space wolves minis. Until then, what's a good way to strip a mini? I got some marines from the necrons vs marines boxed set, and the primer sort of caked on their helmets a little too mcuh.
>>
>>94083016
They're likely the next in line for the rework, but BA just got out, you'll have to wait for a while.
>>
how deep do I need to drill the barrels to make sure nobody here will complain when I post a mini
>>
>>94083030
depends on the gun. For a bolter or something like that you only really need one or two mm, i.e. twisting your drill bit a couple times should be deep enough. For bigger guns with bigger barrels it usually looks better if you go deeper. You don't want light to reflect from the end of the drilled hole at least to maintain the illusion.
>>
File: 20241005_212621.jpg (2.4 MB, 3024x3024)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
I'm back to the hobby after 2 years break and i'm starting to paint my first space marine, but I have not found a good name for their chapter.

/40kg/ is kinda awful right now, so I'm here for suggestions. First dub will have the final say.
>>
>>94082826
Yeah, this is the reason why I would probably never bring the Thicctor to an actual game. I would not want to be associated with those kinds of weirdos.
>>
>>94080381
It's a pretty safe scheme, so yes it works. Nice and neat paint job.
>>
>>94082985
Mh. That is a bit worrying. I just cracked the seal an hour ago on some of these paints and the range isn't old enough yet that I'd expect them to have issues caused by age or storage. I used a vortex mixer as well, so they should be thoroughly mixed up.
The paints I have look a bit thicker than what he was working with in the video in spite of him saying he didn't thin them. I guess I'll try thinning them or adding some medium or glaze medium to extend the drying time and see how that works out. Maybe that will at least solve the uneven finish. No clue what causes the "bald spots" though. The paint layer underneath is even another vallejo color. If I keep getting the gritty bits in the recesses I'll probably shelf them though.
Kind of a bummer, I was hoping to do get these guys done quick, but if I have to experiment and repaint stuff that does not feel very "Xpress"
>>
>>94083120
Pink Panthers
>>
File: 20240615_151028.jpg (673 KB, 2216x2143)
673 KB
673 KB JPG
>>94083177
Damn that was fast, Pink Panthers it is!
Thanks!
pic of my test model
>>
>>94083158
Crop the picture slightly to reset the angle data.
>>
>>94083120
>/40kg/ is kinda awful right now
are there times when it isn't lmao
>>
File: Knights_Panther.png (1.6 MB, 1080x810)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>94083202
If you feel brave, you could do a panther scheme on their cloaks
>>
>>94083154
thanks for replying anon, I wasn't sure about the purple and burgundy that's why I asked for some feedback
>>
File: Kommandos - 1-5 Primed.png (1.59 MB, 2382x924)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
Orktober continues, primed and a heavy zenithal of ivory. They'll sit overnight to fully dry, need to do a couple test models first for how I want to approach the ork and squig skin.
>>
>>94083228
Neat idea! I'm currently painting the Company Heroes box, will try to challange myself on that with the captain.
>>
>>94083289
I will eagerly await the dope looking result then anon
>>
File: sm.jpg (2.5 MB, 5323x2038)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
Space Marine 2 made me want to finally paint some Ultramarines, wip on first 2
>>
File: 0.jpg (72 KB, 722x963)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Just need a little green stuff in the arm joints and the pose will be done.
I want it to look like he shut down right after the battle and has been a statue for a very long time... Going for a forest scheme so moss growing on him etc.
Any tips to make him look aged and weathered? Forest basing lads itt?; and if so, what did you use for dead leaves?
>>
>>94083506
Good going so far. This looks way more turquoise than ultramarine though
>>
>>94083506
classic scheme
>>
>>94083270
Asked in ktg but I'll ask here as well. Rest of my orks are deathskulls and I've got two ideas for the squig:

>classic red with the explosives another color
or
>blue squig with red explosives

Any other suggestions? Grot will be wearing black rubber with some purple in it. Also not sure about the eye lenses, I was thinking of doing blue but purple or orange are also contenders. I'm trying to avoid red since I'll be using that in other areas like the shoota casings and grenades (don't want to put my usual green grenades on the orks since it would use the same base color as the skin).
>>
>>94083534
Thanks, and yeah for sure, I've never liked the darker Ultramarines personally. I like the classic bright blue + yellow scheme and am just realising I really should have not used gold on the accents, might go back and change that / use yellow going forward.
>>
>>94083523
>leaves
Open a tea bag and spread it around, seal afterwards. I would love to see a little birds nest on the shoulders or near the neck, could trail some bird droppings down the mini from the nest.
>>
>>94083523
try using texture paint for bases on the model, it dries out crackled and looks very old.
>>
>>94082917
Bro keep talking this shit is hilarious
>>
>>94083595
>Bro keep talking this shit is hilarious
Thankfully most of the sexpest players were dare I say mellow? A few got picked up by the cops, but not in the store. Mostly it was people sperging out/flipping tables/fights/people who smelled like death/occasional people shitting on the bathroom floor or jacking off on the wall/toilet. Game stores are wild.
>>
>>94083162
There's always a chance you've got shit luck and they gave you faulty paints. I got a bad batch of Citadel colors once. No refunds from James Porkchop.
>>
>>94083575
>birds nest
oh shit thats genius
food/organic products for basing always gave me anxiety... I know to "seal it with paints and spray finish" and all that but still, a little moisture gets in and mold can ruin it. Even using twigs and sticks for tree trunks makes me nervous.
>>
>>94083629
I wanted to un-lgbt the new repentia models and return to 80s babe mode but i don't want to be associated with people like this. This is wild
>>
File: 1709716031236287.jpg (12 KB, 184x184)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>94082583
>acrylics vs. real paints
>>
>>94082917
>Owner stomped the shit out of him and not a single witness saw it, coincidentally.
Based pre-emptive jury nullification.
>>
>>94083629
>people shitting on the bathroom floor or jacking off on the wall/toilet
What the fuck lmao. I mean I know this hobby attracts a lot of borderline autists but you' think if someone is "normal" enough to leave their house to interact with other people he'd have the common sense to not do shit like that
>>
>>94083692
You probably could. The trick is to keep in mind that you want to emphasize femininity but not just whip tits out? Sara Connor in Terminator 2 or Vasquez in Aliens. Attractive but strong and capable.
>>94083745
I was with the owner and I did not try to hold him back because we all clearly heard the guy talking about masturbation to a twelve year old and he was probably offering to "teach her" as the first fist flew. It also helps that we later found out he was an offender from out of state who had moved into the region to "start a new life". Fucking nonce.
>>94083757
A lot of people seemed fine until they did not. Like the dude who whipped a pewter Chaos Dread at his opponent, or the guy who took a bad to his opponent after an apoc game in the parking log.
>>
>>94081995
>>94082551
I mean, you splotched paint on the base of pretty much all the studs. Probably they don't make it THAT easy.
>>
>>94083793
Ever seen anyone try to break an opponents models on purpose? We had a guy at our lgs years ago that would intentionally roll his dice into his opponents models to move them then "put them back" farther away from his models. Legit throwing dice like he's playing craps, one time he was losing badly and broke a demon prince's head clean off. He also "accidently" got his jacket caught on a knight and pulled it off the table. By the time he got to his car the tires had already been slashed and he was banned from the store.
>>
File: dornbags.jpg (464 KB, 4096x3072)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
Didn't feel like painting today, so I made up the sandbags for my Dorn. Just need to build a dozer blade and it'll be ready for paint
>>
>>94083841
Also went ahead and based these guys (need to actually finish painting them though)
>>
>>94076086
AT field orange
>>
File: CatachanBases.jpg (541 KB, 4096x3072)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>94083850
Fuck. Here's the pic
>>
>>94083671
anything that can take in water can take in thinned PVA. Then it's plastic. No need to worry about mold anymore.
>>
>>94083840
Yeah, those sort of guys are common, but they tend to get what is coming to them and do not stick around if they are not banned from the store completely. I honestly do not understand the mindset. Game is a game, laugh and learn from it. You know people put work into the miniatures, why be a dick and break stuff?
>>
>>94083881
I got detention in school for beating some goons ass after he smashed up my orkz. Still pissed about that.
>>
>>94083881
I feel like its probably more of a thing with younger people whose primary socialization from a young age was online/ video game lobbies. Less sense of the consequences of what they do and say IRL.
>>
>>94081715
On the other image, the greens are facing red and marroon.
>>
>>94084009
The real answer is that purple is a color theory outlier overall and whether or not it works with ANY other color can be hit or miss depending on a bunch of shit.
Personally, I avoid it as I feel that it doesn't work well with most colors and is best paired with white, black, or metallics and frankly it's all too ostentatious of a color overall for my tastes
>>
>>94083934
Good man. Sometimes you have to give back what you are given.
>>94083997
A lot of 30-40 year olds do it as well. I support the online theory, but I am uncertain why some of the older ones act that way.
>>
>>94084043
Is purple warm or cool? Either, depending on how you use it.
Does purple pair well with red? Sometimes, unless you fuck it up
blue? same answer
green? same answer
yellow? usually this is fine, but can still be fucked up of course
etc etc
>>
>>94084052
Dude a good number of 30/40 years old now have been "growing up" with video games.
>>
>>94084052
>A lot of 30-40 year olds do it as well
That age group was hopping on the early internet around their teens, mind you
>>
>>94084070
>>94084076
I guess I was an outlier. No internet until I was 21 due to rural living.
>>
>>94082826
I think I've seen those rapemarines before. But a whole army of pin-up DKoK? >>94082917 I've seen my fair share of pin-up Kriegers nut nowhere near enough to make a whole army. You remember if they were just kitbashed or actual third party productions?

Regardless, makes me feel lucky that the only weird sex thing that's happened at my LGS was one guy using a big purple dildo to stand in as a Slaaneshi daemon. The other players took the joke in stride until it fell over midgame and crushed a couple guardsmen. Some barrels snapped and some bases got separated, people got pissed but no hands were thrown. Dildo guy felt rightfully embarrassed and stowed his "daemon" away. In the end we all agreed that those 5 guardsmen blew themselves up while in the daemon's grasp and took it with them.
>>
Has anyone tried an airbrush on guard infantry? Very little out there in terms of examples
>>
>>94084184
Airbrush isn't a technique it's a tool. It makes certain techniques faster. Guard infantry and small and an airbrush isn't great for fine detail so isn't much use on them outside of basecoating and some very broad highlights.

Airbrushed paintjobs and camo on guard vehicles on the other hand is common as all hell
>>
>>94084070
>>94084076
>>94084118
Im 32 and ive been stuck on this awful website since i was 11.
>>
>>94084170
I believe it was the X in the Galaxy female pinup bodies with 3D Printed Valor Korps heads? This was a year or two ago. Three at most?
>>
>>94084009
>>94084043
>>94084061
The thing is that most color wheels are wrong. RBY is a compromise because in the old days primary colors weren't decided by gamut but by colors that (supposedly) can't be mixed from any other color. Subtractive mixing (what pigments do) can't mix yellow from red and green even if that's technically what it is. I won't get into the weeds but the ideal primaries are RGB for additive mixing and CMY for subtractive mixing.
Using a correct color wheel with RGB as the three poles, green is in fact the complimentary color to purple, explaining why it looks so good together.
>>
File: White wizard.png (326 KB, 522x381)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>94084246
>Im 32
WHITE WIZARD!
>>
File: IMG_20241005_201043473.jpg (3.43 MB, 4080x3072)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>94082350
>>94082729
"I love her" anon here. I was about to argue in favor of her use, especially as an Emissary, but reading the rest of the thread I've been convinced otherwise.

Still, in solidarity, here's my Transcendent C'tan kitbash proxy (my lighting is shit, please forgive). I have brought her to tournaments but I have the excuse I wanted to emulator the Renaissance statue look of the other C'tan. And that was a genuine intention too, just so happens that means her tits are out.
>>
>>94084324
Seems more like a Silver Surfer kinda thing to me, nudity but not. IDK.
>>
File: IMG_20241005_201043473.jpg (1.4 MB, 2108x3079)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>94084324
Damn. Right. Let me try that again.
>>
>>94084343
I'd say surfer has the same idea to him, but ultimately both equal the same thing: it's not as weird as bug boobs.
>>
>>94084324
>>94084349
Seems fine to me. The metal C'tan were naked males, so a female makes sense. It is not like she has diamond cutter nipples and a slit with a green gauss rod stuck in it.
>>
>>94084368
>The metal C'tan were naked males, so a female makes sense.
Aye, that was my thinking too. But still feels like someone could have a look at that and think its a sex thing to my brain.

Honestly.... I don't even know how I'd go about making the latter of those things, but now I'm going to be wondering.
>>
File: 1712565507086453.jpg (168 KB, 2140x1280)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>94081897
Sure, it's actually 4

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:57A2586110377AD3471FCC4BEB3280561ECCCCAE

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:C26743B8ADFA31FCE119CEB32B77F6586C7F061B

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:41DE78BB7CDEAE32DFC19FA9D132D705AF06F86D

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:68A62CC01F675B0A38F70F9FE1C0A78CF7833D5B

there is literally everything 40k related
>>
>>94083840
Man, I know I'm just really attached to some of my more sentimentally valuable models but I really cannot fathom how someone could be that deliberately petty so as to try and destroy the cared-for models of others as if his own were owed special protection and not think they'd have that same treatment be returned to sender.
Unless they lived in Burgerland where stupidity is often protected from the consequences of it's own actions and genuinely believed no one would be "allowed" to retaliate.
>>
File: 1700745313533231.jpg (31 KB, 409x613)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Secret Santa hasn't started yet, right? I got the email but haven't checked the thread in a while.
>>
>>94084577
>just compilations of STLs you can get on Cults3d for free
NTA but I've seen those torrents before. Petty good and convenient archive if nothing else, as I do believe some of those files have since been deleted off the site.
>>
>>94084858
>Secret Santa hasn't started yet, right?
It has, but I forgot to post the sign-up link this thread.
>>
File: P1040110.jpg (236 KB, 1080x1080)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>94077101
Orktober day 5. Some new Tankbustas were announced so I felt like painting a Rokkit Boy.
>>
File: P1040111.jpg (214 KB, 1080x1080)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>94085095
I quite like the result for the low time investment.

Also the conversion I did months ago turned out rather adequate. I'm rather proud of the tiny trigger lever on the stick.
>>
>>94085095
Kruleboyz have a surprising amount of personality with their faces for the models. It's a shame that mine are so subpar lol.
>>
>>94084830
>Unless they lived in Burgerland where stupidity is often protected from the consequences of it's own actions
If you're a Bong I will never stop laughing.
>>
>>94085095
Don't see orks in those colors a lot but it really looks good, eye-searing in a proppa orky way.
>>
>>94081254
>>94081267
>>94081280
did you do the battle damage by cutting them then using a wash or did you paint that shit in? They look really good.
>>
>>94085040
Got it, ty.
>>
>>94085164
I am a native resident of Burgerland, so I am allowed to call it that and make fun of it all I want. Also I’ve personally experienced people who have acted in a similar way, albeit with D&D instead of 40k (I’ve only met pleasant people with 40k so far, and even the one uncomfortable guy I encountered was definitely well-meaning if just really bizarre).
>>
>>94085040
How does this work? I’m not sure if I’d be able to join, but I’d like to know what to do in case I’m able to.
>>
>>94085663
>I’ve only met pleasant people with 40k so far
Being able to afford a bighammer army is a bit of a filter, plenty of functional autists but the real walmart people can't.
Now, secondaries on the other hand...
>>
>>94076936
True, I know I can spray the trim color, but then I can't airbrush on nice gradients for the armor panels. I'd have to do a lot of glazing to get the quality I want
>>
Next three i gotta paint. Gue'vesa, inquisitor, and barghesi
>>
>>94085716
I've actually been working on my airbrush detail skills, I can tell you it's not easy but it's totally possible.
You can make a finer line by putting the airbrush closer, but that means turning down the pressure. That means that thicker paint doesn't work, but you can't use too thin paint because at point blank it will just get blown off. The trick is to rock the trigger so you slowly build up the paint in many layers, it sounds tedious but that only takes a few seconds more.
Watch some youtube videos about fine airbrush detailing, it doesn't take an expensive airbrush. Only caveat is that it's much easier on paper since it's porous, you have to really calibrate the air pressure and paint thickness to paint finely on plastic.
>>
File deleted.
He’s Back!
The Hive Tyrant’s upper carapace with Toxic Miasma has been finished and I really love the results. His original recipe still worked great (I painted his with washes and shades to make a gradient) and now he’s got a nice smooth Trygel shine too. The tail ridges and Heavy Venom Cannon spines and other flesh and chitin touch-ups also turned out great as well. I was even able to finally find a spot on the base to pair him with the Ripper, who I also touched up before adding him on. I may add more Rippers in the future as I paint them (and a pumpkin and skull or two, since it’s the season) but for now he’s returned from the table better than ever.
I also returned to the Hive Node while I was at it since I remembered someone suggesting I do a similar gradient on the tendrils and I gave them a nice plum color. Unfortunately though the top spine broke off and took some paint with it so I have to fix that next.
Ah well, such is life.
>>
>>94085890
Of course the one time I don’t need to crop I forget to edit the picture in another way lmao
>>
>>94085679
>How does this work?
During the enrollment period, you sign up using the form Santa provides.
He compiles a database of all the anons who have entered from all the countries, and does his best to match people by country and/or willingness to ship abroad.
Shortly after enrollment closes (usually beginning of November), he sends each of us our match.
You put together a gift and send it to your match.
Somebody else got you as their match, so they send a gift to you.
Once the presents start rolling in, it's customary to take some pictures and post them here in the thread.
Good times are had by all.

Here are galleries compiled from previous years:

>2023
https://imgur.com/a/e9QOmJJ
>2022
https://imgur.com/a/2OWxHpg
>2021
https://imgur.com/a/TKfeLxU
>2020
https://imgur.com/a/TeduVrJ
>2019
[REDACTED]
>2018
https://imgur.com/a/UWRYKEq
>2017
https://imgur.com/a/qS7PH
>2016
https://imgur.com/a/1fxhq
>>
How does one actually get better at miniature painting?
>>
>>94086098
Dangerous secret technique: Practice
>>
File: 1.jpg (669 KB, 2368x1416)
669 KB
669 KB JPG
>>94078195
>>94078228
I bought some of the other colors and wash but i am not really happy with this. It's pretty fucking hard to put detail work in without messing something up and even if i thin my paint with the wet palette it looks like its painted on too thick. The kneepads look like shit.
>>
>>94085739
Lovely looking stuff. Where is that head from on barghesi?
>>
>>94086278
Thanks. Orlock dog
>>
>>94085095
Omg that's such a cool kitbash!
>>
>>94085903
I like how you filled in the smoke stacks, its a nice touch.
>>
>>94077101
I swear I saw the McDonalds logo on the thumbnail
>>
is there any point to zenithal priming if you aren't using speedpaint? I put down one coat of paint and the zenithal just disappears
>>
File: 17274758939918875.jpg (1.2 MB, 2699x3599)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
I have been working on this mosoleum for a few hours now.
I'm on the fence about the red thatched roof.
What do you guys think?
>>
>>94086166
>even if i thin my paint with the wet palette
Are you actually adding water to the paint to thin it, or are you just putting it on the palette thinking it'll do it for you? Because it's a common misconception that you don't need to thin paints on a wet palette.
>>
File: apc.jpg (420 KB, 2705x3104)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>94086510
im adding water. I think im just gonna do a different guy instead of fucking this one up more.
>>
>>94086471
bright red tiles make it look like its meant to be a home instead of a mausoleum, grey that bitch up a few shades, or go for a dark slate.
>>
>>94086629
That's exactly what I was thinking but I went with the red because it matches with the rest of the buildings.
Honestly, I'm not sure why they went with the thatches at all on the model. Aren't mausoleum's all stone?
>>
>>94086646
i wouldn't call that thatch, maybe tiles or slates, thatch is the old straw roofing.
a lot of old church buildings had dark slate roofs.
>>
>>94086662
I should just paint it like the rest of the building.....guess I will grey everything out and hope it doesn't gunk up the little details it has. It's MDF...
>>
>>94083216
The salamander guy is kinda neat
>>
>>94083030
>to make sure nobody here will complain when I post a mini
>>
>>94083692
>I wanted to un-lgbt the new repentia models
Wait, what? What did they do this time?
>>
>>94083868
Dem barrels, though...
>>
>>94086098
Posting your painted minis here, asking for feedback and then genuinely trying to incorporate that feedback into your next mini has worked really well for me.
>>
>>94086788
>>
>>94086855
/tg/ has always been the more helpful board but this thread is kinda cracked because yall niggas are actually skilled and helpful
>>
>>94086468
It helps you to see shapes and details better, really useful if you are going for volumetric lighting
>>
>>94086864
WTF lol. They look like they're out for a jog.
Also what's with the connection ports all over their skin? Sisters don't have anything like Black Carapace
>>
File: 080515394.jpg (485 KB, 874x1400)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
I haven't really painted much this week, but I did start to detail the background here a little. Idk why I can't bring myself to do the tiny 3 details left on the model but whatever, I'll get to it.
>>
File: 172768391894544204.jpg (1.21 MB, 2699x3599)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>94086629
>>94086662
Good call, anons. It looks 1000x better
>>
>>94086921
looks great the hair and the face are very impressive.
>>
>>94086468
Yes it slightly lightens the layer above so the model has better natural shading.
>>
>>94086886
They are called "interface ports" its to connect to their power armor directly. They don' have a black carapace but they still have their like nervous system directly connected to the synthetic muscle in the armor.
>>
>>94086921
looking good, I was waiting for an update on this
>>94086864
All of those look fucking terrible, jesus. Would it really hurt them to make even a single one mildly attractive? When I was picking my army for 40k I was leaning towards sisters and the only reason I didn't is because of those hideous faces
>>
File: anon-be-like.jpg (176 KB, 640x811)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>94087014
>anon be like
>>
>>94086933
>>
File: 1310552203310.jpg (41 KB, 413x395)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>94087024
>>
>>94086864
They CAN look good, if you are a god-tier painter.
But yeah, quite frankly, I would be embarassed if THAT was my official promotional paintjob for a set on the store. They have this disgusting amount of money AND connections, surely they can hire a Golden Demon level painter and have him do the job.
Imagine how many more sets they would sell, it would pay for itself.
>>
>>94087163
Sorry, forgot the pic.
>>
>>94087163
well right now this fits into the modern lgbt/feminist bullshit so it works out either way
>>
>>94086864
theyre just doing this shit on purpose at this point
>>
>>94087194
Ok, but their customer base is 90% lonely, horny dudes lol.
Trannies make up like 0.01% of the population, why pander to them.
>>
>>94087396
Less Blackrock diversity funds. Look at who has the highest shares in GW and look at how much a five man box sells for. They sell at such a profit that they can pander to people who do not buy their products because of whales - often the people who they hate.
>>
>>94087396
Because over 10% of GW is now owned by Blackrock and Vanguard, which demand this sort of thing. Why Blackrock wants to force ugly women, blacks and trannies is left as an exercise to the reader.
>>
>>94085779
Thanks anon. Well I only just got an airbrush, and it's a cheap (but looks really nice) chinese $20 one. If I can put a .2mm needle in it and I guess do as you say and become an airbrush wizard maybe it'll pay off doing the trim first with my shitty shakey hands
>>
Where should I prime my stuff if I don't have a yard or a balcony? I can't exactly go blast spray paint on the sidewalk
>>
>>94079425
anon do you know what the total size of that entire GW catalog is? Are these 3D scans or modeled remakes?
>>
>>94087474
>I can't exactly go blast spray paint on the sidewalk
You can actually.
You might have to just deal with getting a collapsible spray booth. Always remember what housing speculation and rentier capitalism took from you.
>>
>>94087474
If you need to do it inside just tape an opened out bin bag to a couple walls and spray into that
>>
>>94087422
It's either because they actually want "historical justice" (aka revenge racism/sexism), or it's because this shit divides the population and they can get away with their economic crimes while the peasants fight each other.
>>
>>94087474
Why not? Embarrassed?
>>
File: dnd pig orcs.jpg (62 KB, 479x600)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>94085137
>Kruleboyz have a surprising amount of personality with their faces for the models
Once I realized you could turn them into decent pig orcs with a tiny bit of gs for the snout I came around to liking them
Only other non-goofy looking take on pig orcs I can think of are Lucid Eye, but they are not for army building.
>>
>>94087422
>10%
No one fucking cares about 10%. 10% is still a poorfag "look mom, I have shares" tier. If you think some company is going to bend over because of 10% you are even bigger retard than your average anti/woke internet warrior.
>>
>>94087474
>I can't exactly go blast spray paint on the sidewalk
Why the hell not?
>>
>>94087560
If 10% says: do woke shit, and the other 90% says: fine by me. You get woke shit.
>>
>>94087560
Blackrock is the second biggest shareholder, Vanguard is the third biggest. Together they have more shares than the biggest shareholder. If you think the second and third largest shareholders have zero say on how company conducts it's business, you are the retard. It's not like they are demanding the company completely revamp what it's doing, they are just injecting their shitty politics into it. Female Custodes or ugly Sororitas isn't a massive shift in GW's overall business strategy, so it's not something most other shareholders are going to oppose, especially when it can be framed as appealing to the younger generation who definitely support this sort of thing. (Remember, most leftists live in bubbles where they think vast majority of people share their world view and people opposing them are only a fringe minority).
>>
>>94085256
It's just painted on, Darren Latham's white armour tutorial has an in depth walkthrough of it.

>>94081531
Ahriman Blue, shaded up with white

>>94081499
For the whites, Pro Acryl bold titanium white is very punchy over the ceramite white base. I find it works best from a regular pallet, gets too runny on a wet pallet. Not sure there's a trick but generally I go lighter than I think I'll need - under intense painting lights it'll look like you're highlighting too much but it'll make things pop more under normal lighting.

Brush is Winsor and Newton Number 7 Miniature, I use the size 0 for most delicate stuff. Fair warning, they ain't cheap - expect to pay £25+ for one, the same company's synthetics cost under 1/5 of that. If you're anything like me you'll probably fuck up the first one you use until you get used to it; they do last ages once you're used to them though.
>>
File: gw is dead.jpg (96 KB, 1158x945)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>94087422
>Because over 10% of GW is now owned by Blackrock and Vanguard
Fuck, I though you were shitposting, but there it is
https://investor.games-workshop.com/shareholder-statistics
Guess some of the recent changes/controversies make more sense then. After all these companies policies about "forcing behaviors" are out in the open.

>>94087595
>and the other 90% says: fine by me.
most normal people just quietly walk away.
>>
Anyone here have a clue how to make a mould for the oval AoS bases for a resin pour?
>>
>>94087396
>their customer base is 90% lonely, horny dudes
I think that is no longer true. The hobby is getting more and more mainstream so it only follows that they'll have to cave to mainstream shit. It's no longer the 90s/00s unfortunately
>Trannies make up like 0.01% of the population, why pander to them
I do not understand either but considering even on fucking 4chan the jannies will delete and ban any slander directed at trannies it's obvious how far this madness has spread
>>
>>94081363
I am hoarding my last few firstborn helmets, they just look so much better (In fairness primaris are better proportioned.)
>>
>>94087630
pretty simple. Just make a mold box around the base on a flat surface to make an open pour mold.
If you don't have a sanding belt or lungs made of iron you can try using a glass pane (dollar store picture frame for example) and some non-stick baking paper to get a smooth bottom to avoid the bevelled edges on the bottom. Just need to slightly overfill the mold, lay the paper on top and carefully jiggle the excess resin out of the mold.

If you don't want an open mold make a split mold big enough to so you don't have to cut it open completely. That way you don't get leaks and the extra thickness should help prevent warped bases.
>>
>>94087163
Their regular painters probably ain't used to painting women. It's possible they're deliberately uglifying the paint jobs as well for >>94087194 reasons; at least you have the option of making them pretty I guess.

Given how hideous some of the female minis are I kind of think it has to be deliberate, similar to the video game uglification you see in AAA.
>>
>>94087643
and how do I make a mold box? what materials do I use? this is my first time trying a resin pour
>>
>>94087396
>>94087396
>Ok, but their customer base is 90% lonely, horny dudes lol.
>Trannies make up like 0.01% of the population, why pander to them.
>>94087396
>I think that is no longer true. The hobby is getting more and more mainstream so it only follows that they'll have to cave to mainstream shit. It's no longer the 90s/00s unfortunately
GW was always aimed at teenagers mostly. The (former) product designer for GW said that they recently shifted to targetting the marketing more towards the mothers of those kids though. Guess that makes sense in the age of wine-moms, helicopter parents and single moms.
So that is how you get "strong female characters with shaved head/undercut" and other "representation" type of characters. Women also eat up the whole activism about trannies because it's couched in an emotional narrative. Hell you had the mothers of the US swim team condoning a man joining their own daughters in the changing rooms so they could feel like they were doing something. Picking a mentally ill stranger over your own child's safety. Who later turned out to just be a pervert with a autogynophila fetish anyway...
>>
>>94087669
>Given how hideous some of the female minis are I kind of think it has to be deliberate
Games Workshop female models have been fuck-ugly longer than consumer video games have been a thing. While some might be deliberate, like that AOS dyke gorilla, but I think most of it can be explained by the sculptors just not being very good at making attractive women. Making sexy women while also maintaining the over-exaggerated proportions of Warhammer can be quite difficult.
>>
>>94087685
anything that will hold the resin works. I used cardboard strips laminated swith plastic packing tape, taped on a glass pane a couple of times. Doesn't give you the prettiest result, but unless you need a mold with perfectly straight edges (for mass production or fitting into a form that will prevent deformation later) you can use whatever you have.
Any plastic container you can pull out of your garbage bin will be fine. Some people use acrylic glass or foambord. You can get premade moldboxes made of metal corners, but that is really kind of overkill for making a simple mold like that.

Like I said, just has to be water ( or silicone) proof.
>>
>>94087396
because 90% of trannies are autistic and selling to autistic males has been the #1 target audience for GW forever.
>>
>>94087689
I still find it difficult to believe that this hobby would be appealing to teenagers that grew up with shit like instagram and tiktok
>>
Seething about GW marketing is not /wip/ related.
Go back to >>94083257
>>
>>94087758
That's why GW's strategy has shifted into making multimedia entities that sucker people into the models.
Your average teenager would never buy a model but OH SHIT ARE THOSE THE ULTRAMARINES tm FROM THE HIT GAME SPACE MARINE 2? OR FROM THE HIT AMAZON SERIES WITH HENRY CAVIL? ARE THOSE NECRONS FROM THE HIT GAME MECHANICUS? That might be enough to get them in the door.
>>
File: 20201226_094804.jpg (199 KB, 2560x1622)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>94087701
Lol, yeah the AOS mini was the one I was thinking of specifically.
The ones based on artwork tend to be better looking - but that's not really helpful. It's consistent with both hypothesis - could represent having source material to work from, could represent someone gritting their teeth as they're forced to follow an appearance they don't like.
>>
>>94087758
I think GWs current customers buy stuff and will never build or paint a model in their life. The last couple of models by GW I built were terrible. They are awkward to assemble, extremely fragile, have obvious hollowed areas and undercuts that are impossible to reach once the model is assembled and if you do not put it together before painting you'll have very obvious deep gaps where the autoCAD designed lines meet.
The old school posable multipart models might not have been as complex or detailed, but they had natural seams and were a lot more fun to put together an paint imo.
>>
>>94087764
a lot of models posted barely get any replies now that the art anon isn't here so we might as well bitch for a bit about sob being ugly
>>
File: IMG_20241006_131721.jpg (2.21 MB, 3984x1840)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>94081992
>>
>>94087787
Kinda gw style with every edge being highlighted but still looks really nice
>>
>>94087701
>but I think most of it can be explained by the sculptors just not being very good at making attractive women
The sculpts are rarely the problem. A bigger factor is that most people are terrible painters to begin with and to make a female sculpt look pretty you need to not just be a good painter but also a makeup artists. Women paint their faces in 1:1, so a sterotypical kissless neckbeard doing it in ~1:56 is kind of an unlikely proposition. Looking like a woman is one thing. Making it look pretty is on a whole different level beyond that.
>>
>>94087803
>The sculpts are rarely the problem
I disagree, plenty of classic GW female sculpts are horrendous gremlins that would not look pretty regardless of the paintjob. The more modern ones tend to be better in this regard.
>>
>>94087787
I'm a complete newfag with parkinsons-tier shaky hands. Would it be possible to achieve something similar to those highlights with drybrushing?
>>
>>94087822
With enough practice and correctly setting up your brush you can get close but you obviously won't be able to catch every edge with a drybrush. Still, if you can't be precise because of your hands it's better than nothing
>>
>>94087822
Yes, it's more technique than steady hands. In this case, using the side of the brush and letting the edges do the work for you.
>>
>>94087812
You can probably find a couple of bad ones over a ~40 year catalog, sure. Not the point though. I said the models are rarely the problem and not never. I stand by that.
It's just people being angry about mismatched expectations. If you fuck up while priming you had a "bad can", if you can't make the female toy soldier look pretty it's a bad sculpt. Same thing.
>>
>>94087822
It's pretty easy actually. This box style edges are easy. Just remove the majority of paint from the brush and place the brush at 45° from the edges.
>>
>>94087822
Probably not on a model with large smooth plates like this one. However, stick to organic or more detailed minis like tyranids or something and it'll look great with drybrushing. You could try to drybrush over it then clean up the panel faces afterwards.
>>
File: cock.jpg (630 KB, 1588x1940)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
Currently on the bench: Some goofy little servitor guys made from whatever was floating around the bottom of bits box, and a pair of jew worms to fight a m8's nazi worms.
Other m8 made a ruleset for a quick 30 minute tabletop game based on Worms and other other m8 printed us all a couple of teams worth oyvhnaf worms to playtest it with, the next time we're all at the pub.
>>
>>94087669
They highlight female faces the same way they highlight marine faces. Of course the sisters will look bad when they're highlighted like a roided out gym bro.
>>
>>94087951
I mean they highlight everything the same to bring out all the details. It just happens to look particularly terrible on female faces because they lack the subtelty of an actual womans face
>>
>>94080098
Wait, the strong/dark skintones aren't just new versions of strong/dark tone? I couldn't find anything in stock and figured they were relabeled, the fuck?
>>
File: admechagents.jpg (328 KB, 2820x976)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
Slowly working away on these admech style Inquistorial agents I made from some delaque gangers to better fit my Metalica Knights. Using the ogryns as the servitors. I was initially worried they'd look weird on 32mm bases but they actually fit pretty well. Not entirely sold on the guy with the welding mask, dunno if he looks admech enough.
>>
>>94086808
Still have to drill the bolt pistol barrels. If you're telling me to drill lasgun barrels, you can fuck off
>>
File: 20241006_134319.jpg (846 KB, 2545x2451)
846 KB
846 KB JPG
>>94083228
After 2.5 hours it is almost done, just need to paint the otheside of it.
Was thinking black or dark brown

Any tips before I move on?
>>
>>94088590
purple
>>
>>94087458
It's not really about the needle size desu, normal needles are .35 so .2 increases clogging risk for minimal gain.
I would temper your expectations with the cheap airbrush, to be sure.
>>
>>94088270
Looks really good. Love the color scheme with the blueish teal skin, red, and white/creme.
>>
>>94088590
Looks super nice, well done

As the other comment said, purple could be cool to try
>>
>>94086471
sauce me on this one, chief
>>
>>94087475
I honestly have no fucking idea anon, I don't 40K I just foudn them and came here to share them, actually
I was looking for someone who could actually tell me what's in those folders, because there's a lot of models and parts, I'm not sure there's an archive of the real actual scans out there
>>
File: Rose_Panthers.jpg (107 KB, 800x800)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>94088590
Same anon as >>94083177
I thought about it a bit more, I think you can call them the Rose Panthers instead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_rose

The lore could be that they were a loyalist regiment of the emperor's children that split away early on during the heresy and secured a stable gene seed. They fought against their traitor brethren wherever they could. After the Horus heresy, they founded a new chapter and destroyed all records of their past, now having an unknown founding. Much like the pre heresy emperors children, they are artisans and take great pride in their equipment and are always looking to improve themselves, they are however more subtle and will only attack when it's advantageous, often during dawn or dusk when their armor blends in with the surrounding hues.
>>
>>94087595
I think Hollywood and vudeo games are in the process of finding out that, while people will put up with a fair amount of preaching, there are limits to that. Eventually even normies start avoiding your shit if you insult them enough.
>>
File: 1721970325466119.jpg (84 KB, 880x772)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>94089278
>>94087475
I mean it's kinda tricky since those main folders have subfolder with a lot of zip compressed zip files. the total size is around 190GB~ ish but I honestly think it's bigger than that

I'm not new to minis and painting stuff but I'm new to 40K (used to play D&D) and I don't have a good idea of how the official catalog is structured and at the moment I don't have the experience to recognize them between real and fan made.
as another anon said I imagine there are also some models that were on cults, even if looking in the folders I see many things

one way we can do it is if maybe you give me a list of, say, 3 models that you would like to see in preview
I'll publish some screenshots, so you can get an idea of the quality and in the meantime we both know if they are scans of the originals or something else!
for example, this is catalogued as
>"Chaplain Primary Combat War Priest"
>>
>>94089516
Of course, but because Blackrock is funding it, they can keep doing it for many years until the losses start to hurt. Blackrock can just throw pension funds at it, which is a bottemless pit of money.
>>
>>94089539
It ain't bottomless, and if the 90% object it will drop off eventually. I think we're past peak woke at this point, the mythical "wider audience" doesn't exist and the societal change isn't happening.
>>
>>94089516
They raped the joker out of him
>>
>>94089558
I thought we were past peak woke 6 years ago, but it just keeps chugging. Even if it is, I think it's left its mark. Race and sex relations aren't going to be okay for a long time, and freedom of expression isn't what it used to be a decade or two ago.
>>
>>94089516
The damage has already been done. Sure, this might prevent any further damage but it will be very difficult, borderline impossible to revert the changes that happened. You'll still be forced to accept people that cut off their dicks as mentally sane. Hell, I'm phoneposting this so that some asspained jannie won't get me banned lol
>>
>>94086864
What's the problem with them? Are you just mad about short hair and covered breast or what? ELI5.
>>
>>94089754
>ELI5
Go back.
>>
>>94089776
>triggered over an acronym
seek help
>>
>>94089795
>bringing r*ddit bullshit here
nta but yeah, go back
>>
>>94089840
You seem to know about Reddit more than what someone around here should.
>>
File: 1627888219550.jpg (15 KB, 225x224)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
ATTENTION
If you are doing enamel wash shading do not leave your models to dry for 24 hrs before trying to wick away the excess. Do not be like me.
>>
>>94089865
uhh I'm pretty sure I've left them for even longer and I could still wipe them just fine. Don't enamels need like 2 or 3 days to fully dry?
>>
>>94089137

https://towerrex.com/graveyard-crypt-modular-terrain-mdf-hdf.html

For MDF, I have been pretty impressed.
>>
File: 20241006_163154.jpg (1.01 MB, 3021x2155)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>94088638
>>94089513
Like the idea!
I also made the symbol more simple casue I am not good at freehanding (the white symbol was the original idea that i was workshoping).
>>
>>94089873
Oh it's still coming off. But it's coming off patchy as fuck and the power I have to put into it is taking off all the paint underneath and making any nice fades impossible
>>
>>94089865
does that also apply with rust streak effect?
>>
>>94089914
If you're talking the AK Rust Streaks then probably yes. The problem I'm having right now is from the AK Streaking Grime
>>
>>94089865
well they are oil paints
>>
>>94089889
Looks great anon keep it up
>>
I don't have a wargaming scene within 100km of my home so I'm probably only going to be painting display minis, are most of those still nothing but super limited run and kickstarter shit?
>>
File: CARLOS.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>94085890
>>94085903
>He's Back!
But then who's Front?
>>
>>94089888
Looks cool but 30 falafels for MDF from Ukraine is wild. Gonna have to side with Putin on this one.
>>
>>94089558
I've been hearing that since 2019.
>>94089626
>inconveniencing yourself even slightly, to avoid a vacation which would probably be a net positive
>>
>>94090326
I mean you can paint anything you want for display anon. We shit on GW here, and they deserve most of it, but the fact of the matter is they make really good miniatures. Quality wise I don't think there's anyone in the west that can come close. Sure, if you want nice coomer minis you have to look elsewhere but for sci fi and fantasy GW is unfortunately the way to go
>>
>>94090482
Unfortunately I don't care for Warhammer's aesthetic, and also would probably prefer something a little larger.
>>
>>94088270
How did you get that pattern on the edges of the ranger/vanguard looking guys? Did you freehand it or is there some intended way to do it? Looks really good though, and I agree with that other anon about the color scheme.
>>
>>94089528
Skitarii rangers, skitarii vanguard, and sicarian ruststalkers please.
>>
>>94090471
I don't have any irl friends that are into this hobby and most other online places/communities suck dick. I really like being here I'd rather not be banned. This thread specifically of course, most other generals are terrible
>>
File: HouseGorgon.jpg (1.37 MB, 3096x1644)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>94090535
>>94089000

Thanks. The colour scheme is the metalica forgeworld scheme. The blue skin tone is what GW does for servitors etc, mine is just a more stylised, contrasting look by keeping it quite vibrant.

The crenellation pattern is freehand, it looks pretty rough up close but a bit of pigment powder and battle damage hides any major mistakes and they're just backline chaff units anyway so im not too worried. You just try and neatly paint boxes one at a time, making sure its spaced properly and the right size before moving on to the next, that way the pattern doesnt warp.

Here's the army they are a part of. Working on a Atrapos next.
>>
File: 1719312077252114.jpg (453 KB, 1390x1767)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
>>94090568
OK, here we go
keep in mind for some models, like the ones you asked for, there's a bunch of other variants etc so they may not be EXACTLY the ones you've been looking for, but I hope this helps clearing things out a bit
>>
File: IMG_20241006_204015~2.jpg (962 KB, 2668x1880)
962 KB
962 KB JPG
Sorry for not mini but I was doing camo patterns only once before and on mini scale, never on larger model. Is this looking okay?
>>
>>94090471
Feels like the money is being hit this time though, major companies like Ubisoft losing their ass on expensive preachy project after expensive preachy project.
>>
File: 20241006_144107.jpg (2.15 MB, 4608x2592)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
These are the smallest little ships I've ever painted.
>>
>>94090810
It looks aesthetically good, whether it's good camo depends on what design you're going for.
>>
>>94090810
Looks fine to me. I could bitch about the brush strokes on the flat surface but if you don't have an airbrush it's fine.
Fyi there is a mecha thread in /m/ for this stuff. I don't personally care what kind of mini projects people post here though.
>>
>>94090858
It's rare for a big ship like that to sink, true. The thing is, Ubisoft was horrifically bloated too, a leaner company might have subsisted on funny money a lot longer. Ideology can be blamed for some of that bloat but not all of it.
>>
>>94090781
Never held any of these models in hand, but to my eyes the ranger seems to be 3rd party while the other two are recognizable as GW sculpts.

>>94090779
Thanks, guess painting admech really is as hard as I've heard it be described as. Amazing looking army though, have you posted those knights here before? I'm pretty sure I recognize them but I might be misremembering.

I'm actually also the anon who asked for help regarding color theory because I want to make a custom color scheme for an admech army; I want it to be a rad zone detachment army from a custom forgeworld that uses nuclear transmutation to produce various elements and doped silicon (nuclear physics is a big hobby of mine). My initial idea for the color scheme was to have it be based on the black and yellow radiation symbol where the robes would be in black and the trim in bright yellow, but using color theory I now think I should probably use a more triadic color scheme of the yellow-green color of refined uranium as the trim, red as the main robe color, and the light blue color of cherenkov radiation for most other things. I love the way that classic red admech robes look, but I can't help but think in the back of my mind that the black and yellow color scheme would be more flavorful. Can anyone give me some advice regarding what I should do here?
>>
>>94090996
Black and yellow is a great color scheme, never let theory supersede your eyes.
>>
>>94090781
>>94089528
All 3rd party, it's fucking nothing.
>>
>>94090810
Oh that looks good.
I would maybe use gray instead of white (or a mix of both) to get more of a consistency from the paint.
>>
File: 1705854667186136.jpg (72 KB, 1920x1080)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>94090996
Knowing the theory and knowing how to move is always useful, but even following it slavishly sometimes limits us
blocky yellow and black from a bee is obviously a very strong contrast, but if you also start to consider the various alternatives to have a radioactive coded color scheme, there are many possibilities
some less saturated shades, a radioactive green in the style of atom space age, contrasts of orange and rotten green, and maybe using red as a highlight for "technical" parts

>>94091029
spotted the GW corpo rat kek
>>
File: 1.jpg (486 KB, 1000x1000)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>94090996
>painting admech really is as hard as I've heard it be described as
Think of it that way, by the time you're done your brush control will improve significantly. It's mostly about patience. I tend to take my time when painting anyway but this fucking guy really tested that mentality
>>
>>94091076
Fuck the sculptor who thought this shit was okay.
>>
>>94091089
I mean it looks cool as fuck and fits admech a lot but yeah painting all this shit is tiring
>>
>>94091062
I've never seen green and orange pulled off, unless it's like mint green with burnt orange or something. They don't have enough contrast at max saturation.
>>
>>94091089
We wouldn't have this shit if sculpting still had to be done by hand like the good olddays.
>>
File: 1712151218305358.jpg (141 KB, 1500x1145)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>94091101
I, on the other hand, look at this orange and think:
"what if Salamanders, but radioactive?"
also, Michelangelo from TNMT
>>
>>94091089
>>94091103
It looks just like the old Blanche art. It's kino.
If you edge highlighted all the greebles you only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>94091103
Agreed.
Though to some extent it's more complexity in the kits/assembly too - still the fault of computers though.
>>
File: gsc.jpg (2.34 MB, 4004x1848)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>>94090996
Thanks. I have posted the knights a few times over the past year of painting them.

I think black and yellow would look great and much more striking, and would convey the radioactive theme well. The other scheme has too many primary, clashing colours and would run the risk of looking garish, even if you desaturate everything. The better with schemes. My general rule of thumb is to choose my main colour, a secondary, complimentary colour, add in a metallic or two of your choice (most metallics will work with most schemes) then black, white and grey, as they can work with almost anything.

Funny enough, I've done something very similar to your idea with my GSC. Its not super easy to see in the pic, but the ridgerunners have biohazard symbols on them, and many of the infantry are wearing hazmat suits. I chose a yellow and black/grey colour scheme for the same reason, its easily conveying that 'bioharzard/radiation' theme. Then my complimentary colour was the blue lights as it contrasts the yellow, you dont need any more than that.
>>
File: Breachers wip 1.jpg (1.27 MB, 2000x1236)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>94078169
Also got my Navi Breachers Basecoated and glosscoated.
>>
>>94091169
Holy shit.
>>
>>94091062
NTA but as someone who's lurked a lot on Cults, I'm pretty familiar with these sculpts as well as the "legally distinct" naming conventions. That said, some files were taken down from the site for looking suspiciously like official GW material. But as I've mentioned earlier I've perused these torrents before, lots of random/low quality 3rd party stuff as well. Especially in the Eldar line IIRC.
>>
>>94091199
Fair enough, and thanks for the clarification anyway!
I honestly didn't expect a holy grail torrent, and I already shared the magnets so if someone needs them they're here I don't want to open an etsy shop and scam people anyway ...unless
>>
>>94091169
could it be that I have already seen your works on instagram?
congratulations anon they are wonderful
>>
>>94091175
>Basecoated
Ok
>and glosscoated
...wat?
>>
>>94091287
It's for an enamel wash.
>>
>>94091009
True; I just love the way the red robes of admech looks as well. Something about it really makes me feel the religious aspect of admech a lot more, perhaps it reminds me of Jesus and the robes of many priests. Something about it just feels right to me for admech, but I don't see a way to tie it to radiation so I'm a little bit nervous about it. I like the way black and yellow looks and it ties into the theme I'm going for really well, but at the same time red has always been the color of admech for me. Does using black and yellow for infantry and vehicles and red for characters seem like it might work to anyone? It would also probably make it easier to identify characters when playing games. Actually I plan on having the forge world be around a red dwarf as earlier in their life cycle they are known for shitting out radiation like a diabetic burger with diarrhea after a night out at taco bell, so I guess I could use that.

>>94091062
Those are some more good ideas, thanks.

>>94091076
Yeah, I don't really care if it takes me a year to get my army painted and I lose every single game; most nuclear projects tend to be at least in a legal gray area if not outright illegal, so I have to cherish any opportunity to indulge in radiation related things. It's just that this will also be my first 40k army, so I'm a little bit nervous going into it. The cawl looks amazing if it's yours by the way.

>>94091169
Wow. Neat to see you again, I remember seeing your knights a few months back, they look amazing. That GSC army looks amazing too, thank you so much for the advice, you clearly know what you're talking about.
>>
>>94091043
Well, the plan is to add dark grey wash all over so that stark white will get "dirty".

>>94090949
Idea was to make urban or winter camo. Now I guess I should rather use gray scale for urban but that will have to wait for next project.

>>94090956
/m/ is all about airbrush usage, they don't really have as much experience with brushes as /wip/.
>>
File: 1708213811057058.png (182 KB, 1500x1000)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>94091326
also, not all radioactive energy has the same color apparently
>>
We've reached page 10, ladz!

>>94091349
>>94091349
>>94091349
>>
>>94091361
I know that, I wanted to make the radium weapons of my vanguard the bright green of radium, I wanted electricity based weapons to be either purple (plasma) or blue (cherenkov), and I wanted most of the rest to be cherenkov blue. It just wasn't relevant to what I was talking about because that is something that's happening regardless, so it didn't seem worth mentioning.
>>
>>94091326
>most nuclear projects tend to be at least in a legal gray area if not outright illegal, so I have to cherish any opportunity to indulge in radiation related things.
Lolwut? Did you want to build a backyard reactor and found out it was too much trouble?
Also, I'm assuming you have played S.T.A.L.K.E.R., right? Radiationkino.
>>
>>94091326
yeah that Cawl is mine, thank you anon
>>
>>94091482
Oh I am, it's just taking a while. I just really want to make more things and a lot of what you can do with reactors is limited.

>>94091508
You're welcome, it really does look great.
>>
>>94091803
Bruh. I hope you're either trolling or really dotted your i's and crossed your t's, that's not something to fuck around with.
>>
>>94091838
Not trolling, I'm making a fusor but some parts are hard to come by so I have to wait to find them at affordable prices. I'm intelligent enough and knowledgeable enough about nuclear physics and electrical engineering to be confident enough to try it, it's not going to kill anyone and fusors can't blow up.
>>
>>94091860
well you picked a really appropriate army for yourself that's for sure lol
>>
>>94091920
Yeah I've been learning about 40k for months now and admech are by far my favorite. They as a faction are basically my personality but turned up to 11 in the classic warhammer fashion.
>>
File: 75x2u7euq8td1[1].jpg (132 KB, 1080x1080)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>94085115
Orktober Day 6. Another Flash Git because I'm mostly working on a commission project today.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.