[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Name
Options
Subject
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


[Advertise on 4chan]

[Catalog] [Archive]

File: smilin' llama.jpg (203 KB, 1080x1222)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
/lmg/ - a general dedicated to the discussion and development of local language models.

Previous threads: >>101532904 & >>101524155

►News
>(07/23) Llama 3.1 officially released: https://ai.meta.com/blog/meta-llama-3-1/
>(07/22) llamanon leaks 405B base model: https://files.catbox.moe/d88djr.torrent >>101516633
>(07/18) Improved DeepSeek-V2-Chat 236B: https://hf.co/deepseek-ai/DeepSeek-V2-Chat-0628
>(07/18) Mistral NeMo 12B base & instruct with 128k context: https://mistral.ai/news/mistral-nemo/
>(07/16) Codestral Mamba, tested up to 256k context: https://hf.co/mistralai/mamba-codestral-7B-v0.1

►News Archive: https://rentry.org/lmg-news-archive
►FAQ: https://wikia.schneedc.com
►Glossary: https://rentry.org/lmg-glossary
►Links: https://rentry.org/LocalModelsLinks

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
192 replies and 28 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101538289
It gets boring eventually
>>
>>101538057
There's nothing controversial about that.
>>
File: llama-3.1-vs-nemo.jpg (2.79 MB, 3385x5354)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>101538106
Nemo.
>>
>>101538000
>all that to make model say something you want in half assed safe-edgy way
holy shit local cucks are pathetic
>>
This is the tennis ball test with gpt4(chat frontend).

These tests are bad, they purposefuly test for something that we know LMs are not designed to do.

File: dos_window.jpg (27 KB, 474x350)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
When will UNIXfags admit that the Windows/DOS/CPM file structure is better for home users than the UNIX file structure?
156 replies and 7 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101537887
I haven't AI botposted once, these are my actual opinions. I think >>101537594 might be botposting though.
>>
>>101537377
>You're just using flowery language to make it sound like its the system for "educated intellectuals like myself"
Why do you feel that way? You're working backwards from a conclusion (People who like unix are arrogant -> this person likes unix -> this person is being arrogant)
This is just how I write when I'm being careful with my words and putting thought into the things I say.

I was once in your position. Now I am not. From this standpoint I realize much of the difficulty I had with Unix, and the problems I had with its philosophy, were simply because it was unfamiliar with it. It was a different way of thinking about things. Learning different perspectives takes a lot of time, and it can be frustrating. That's true in all cases. It's why language learning is so difficult. It's why people who don't grow up with computers find them to be difficult.
You might not understand everything I write, that's fine. The takeaway from that isn't "this person thinks they're better than me." That's getting defensive, and while it's an understandable reflex, all it will do is cause misunderstanding. The takeaway from that should be "Maybe I need to think on things a bit more."

At no point do I put you down, imply you're stupid, anything like that. I underline that I empathize with you, and I speak to my experience as someone who's moved beyond your current mindset. That's not an attack on you as a person, and you shouldn't take it as one. I'm you from the future, not the devil come to poke you with a stick.
>>
>>101537767
>My use case is managing disks (not just hard, but floppy and optical as well)
>does better
And my use case is the exact same, and I'm dead serious in saying there's not a problem here. I know exactly why you feel the way you do, because I felt that same feeling. And then things clicked and I realize it was simply a matter of my own unfamiliarity. The problems were only ever because I didn't yet build up the familiarity to understand unix. The fact you think floppy and optical drives are handled in a radically different way from any other kind of block device should scream to you that you aren't quite "getting it", as though these are obscure and esoteric technologies.
>>
I admit it but will still use Linux because Windows has become unusable.
>>
>>101538150
>You're working backwards from a conclusion (People who like unix are arrogant -> this person likes unix -> this person is being arrogant)
You shouldn't make assumptions like that. My logic is ("intellectuals" and academics use overly flowery and scientific language to purposely hide how how stupid or unjustified their positions actually are -> you're using equivalently flowery language to advocate for a position which you've barely explained and which seems stupid to me -> you're doing it on purpose to hide how stupid and unjustified your position is.)

>The takeaway from that should be "Maybe I need to think on things a bit more."
I've had quite a lot of time to think about this and quite a lot of time to try and get used to it. Years. And from those years I've learned that I hate it, and no amount of exposure is going to make me stop hating it. As a matter of fact I've come to hate it more as I spent more time with it.

>I'm you from the future, not the devil come to poke you with a stick.
I'd prefer the devil over "the future". At least he's honest about how much he's going to make my life worse. You implying that you can somehow read my thoughts and that everything you say is inevitable is incredibly arrogant though, so maybe I should class you as an arrogant UNIX fan.

File: Untitled.png (71 KB, 1276x884)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
Has letter writing technology improved in the last 27 years or is it okay to keep using old software?
2 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101534853
the invention of postscript was so dangerously based that you can use software from the 1980s and your prints will still look great in current year. that's how little things have changed.
>>
>>101534853
I use Microsoft Office 97 on a function over form windows 98SE machine simply because it’s dead reliable and simple for the goal of writing.
>>
>>101534853
if you install modern fonts sure
people are gonna look at you crooked if you're using times new roman or whatever boomoid font in 2025
>>
i have no printer at this moment, nor group to post letter, if i had, i probably convert .txt file to ghostscript and push to printer as usual
>>
>>101535074
what about the third option: all bald no hair

File: 1712998982962.jpg (135 KB, 1242x2208)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>UPGRADE & BUILD ADVICE.
Post build list or current specs including MONITOR: https://pcpartpicker.com/
Provide specific use cases.
State BUDGET and COUNTRY or you will NOT be helped.
Building guide: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>CPU
Web browsing: 12100/5600G
Budget: 12600KF/12400F
Gaming: 13600KF
High end gaming: 7800X3D/13600K
Workstation: 7900X
AVOID: 13900K/14900K https://alderongames.com/intel-crashes

>COOLER

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
198 replies and 34 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101538378
Electrons vibrate n' shit and sometimes get lost and end up in silent hill rather than their wagie cage inside your cpu.
>>
>>101538378
more heat means more wiggles
wiggles break the cpu
>>
>>101538391
Do the consumer AM5 boards actually utilize the ECC bit? A lot of AM4 boards would boot with ECC DIMMs installed but you didn't get any error correction.
>>
>>101531628
delet

realistically it won't happen r-right?
i got a 4k oled and i'm still on 3080 10gb waiting on new gpus...
>>
>>101538391
Yes you do if you don't want the unregistered meme.
Registered ddr5 has different layout and won't fit/work on an am5 board.
I guess you can LARP with the meme unregistered ECC if you really want though.
>though technically there are epyc branded am5 equivalents so every am5 board is an epyc board now
Delusional retardation I won't even bother to address.

what is the point of standby mode?

booting up your computer takes like 2 seconds so you might as well turn it off entirely and save the energy, so why does everybody use standby mode instead?
5 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
btw it registered a handler with the firmware, not a tipycal interrupt routine
>>
shutdown is 2 seconds
standby is <1sec, basically instant
I shut down when I'm done for the day
>>
>>101535852
>booting up your computer takes like 2 seconds
Booting and then opening all of my stuff to where it was when I left off takes a non-trivial amount of time, even on modern hardware. Sleeping / hibernating is simply more convenient and the power use is trivial.
>>
>>101536206
>hibernation, ram is not being powered, the kernel registered a handler for when the keyboard will send an interrupt, processes' context is on disk
ACPI handles that, nothing to do with anything OS related
>>
>>101536855
yep, the magic ACPI, keep dreaming.

This bad boy can hold 400 TV shows at 40 gigs each, 8,000 movies at 2 gigs each or a proportional mix of the two. With this thing I'm set for life but actually my first external hard drive stopped reading all the files after 10 years. So basically I'm all set for 10 years where it only took me a month of saving up to get it. I got mine for $300 off Amazon but because I applied a coupon I'm afraid I got a Black market counterfeit version because it makes cheapo sounds when it's operating and doesn't function properly when I pause and restart a video. Nonetheless I'm still extremely happy to have it since I simply copy any videos to a "Videos for Pausing" folder on my desktop before watching.
What do you all use for storage?
There were some sketchy FBI implying pictures in the product description so I saved those to caution myself not to get careless with interracial shit. Even cable TV is turning interracial which is why I want to download so many old torrents.
6 replies and 4 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101538109
enclosure
>>
>>101537823
i have one thats really slow and made horrible sounds when i used it heavily but despite that its still working 3 years later
>>
>>101537982
The price is the same.

And i have that eerie feeling that a drive built for an external enclosure will be able to handle hot plugging better than an internal one, that is supposed to never get its power cut during operation.
>>
File: 96z7d59njb251.jpg (264 KB, 2160x1488)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>101537982
That isn't even necessarily true. WD easystores are most known for being shucked because the HDD inside is cheaper than buying it standalone.
>>
File: 1712569232332760.png (152 KB, 700x730)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>101537775
>400 TV shows at 40 gigs each, 8,000 movies at 2 gigs each
Holy fucking goyslop.
Now that's a warehouse of slop to keep the söy flowing.

File: images.jpg (14 KB, 300x168)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
How I fix my mpv yt-dlp setup?
I'm a third worlder and I need to watch youtube in 360p.
Before this I just use 18 but now youtube fuck everything again.

─$ cat .config/mpv/mpv.conf
--ytdl-raw-options="format=134+140,write-auto-sub=,sub-lang=[en,es,ru],write-sub="

Sometimes this doesn't work, because that format is not availible so in that case I want to use 480p
>>
>>101537008
So basically SMPlayer but worse
>>
File: 1.jpg (534 KB, 1080x855)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>101537008
yt-dlp -S "res:360" "video link"
>>
ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?360][fps<=?30][vcodec=?vp9]+bestaudio/best[height<=?360]/bestvideo[height<=?480][fps<=?30][vcodec=?vp9]+bestaudio/best[height<=?480]
>>
>>101537085
Doesn't work because it doesn't download the audio

File: GOhTxtjWwAAqAtp.jpg (318 KB, 1536x2048)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
wow Anon you're a programmer!
Can you hack my Ex's instagram?
15 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
which one, your ex has instagram for every netflix and chill, and no, i do not have this skill that you ask
>>
>you must be 18 years old to use the site
none of you faggots can post here
>>
>>101536905
agreed, but I do want to sex her beforehand
>>
>>101537174
t. whore sympathizer
>>
>>101536866
sex

File: 1721752111881297.png (342 KB, 831x768)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
You do do ten pull ups every time you hit the compile button do you
>>
File: 1693550637700772.png (1.17 MB, 896x1024)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>101537102
You have no idea how jacked I am now
>>
Haha you said doodoo
>>
Challenge for Linux users: Do 20 push-ups every time you have to open the terminal
>>
I do 100 push ups and pull ups every day. Am the most ripped maid in this board.

I never got a problem with Microsoft Windows 11. It just works.
18 replies and 4 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: 1691030710762900.jpg (139 KB, 1357x758)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>101535873
>> Bloat
dont care
>> Botnet
dont care
>> No privacy
dont care
>> Backdoors for days. RIP when the NWO bricks your device for the cyber-polygon.
dont care
>> Introducing Microsoft AI copilot, where we use new AI technology to record everything you do and totally don't use sell your data
dont care
works on my machine
>>
>>101537857
beast
>>
>>101534823
Same. I think it was rough for some at first, but the issues have been ironed out.
>>
File: 1635664677381.png (736 KB, 1280x720)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
>>101537857

...

While you're at it go take all the vaccines. Eat only seed oils, don't eat meat and don't forget to take a long walk off a short peer.


>>101538017

Bot post
>>
>>101538079
What's bad about vaccines? I rather be safe than sorry.

Seed oils are indeed crap some even say they are toxic because of the refining process and meat is part of a normal human diet.

I mean just look at how seed oils are refined: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_oil_refining

Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Butter from grass fed cows all the way.

File: immich_sux.png (105 KB, 1186x713)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
Immich is fucking rugpulling like everyone said FUTO is making the app cost money even though it is AGPL. Im going to ahve to switch to something else are there any good alternative slef-hosted photo platforms? i need to organize my memes and i CANNOT use a software that forces me to PAY for AGPL code. no way no how.
7 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101536226
> gets shamed into making changes
love to see it

>>101536291
seems like it to me, anon.
>best to fork the project now.
and back it up, just in case it disappears in the future. github faggotry is unreal.
>>
>>101536373
futa has never rugpulled anything they arent even a real company why are people so sus of them?
>>
https://gitlab.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted#photo-and-video-galleries
I've heard good things about Photoprism.
>>
File: 1708146916959934.png (10 KB, 473x135)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
you are brown
>>
>>101536090
>>101536090
Only good self hosted image gallery is Lychee

>>
>>101538266
*usable
>>
>>101538279
No. I want Apple to get sued.
>>
>>101538266
>>101538279
Was the iOS photo viewer not usable before this? That's embarrassing.

File: rfftmzctfbewb2l48jkm.png (295 KB, 1280x960)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
cloud or dedicated server?
god I want to build tiny websites.. a lot of them, but
>dedicated servers are expensive as fuck
>clouds are cheap but in case if the app scale it might ruin your wallet

i can't decide.
>>
>>101538414
Chances are that you can run your entire operation out of a $5/month VPS on some rando host. Sudden crushing success is the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>101538414
Dedicated server is idiotic for websites. I've hosted a website with over 100,000 members on a VPS for years now.

With this huge GTK drama and libadwaita deliberately breaking pretty much every GTK project (https://github.com/xapp-project), why isn't functionality from wxwidgets utilized more? For example XFCE wasn't always GTK based and since it is programmed in C, porting it to Qt would be certainly difficult, with no good C bindings for Qt. Also Wxwidgets seems to be pretty mature project, so why is there no DE made in it?

BTW what's the usecase for CAPTCHA
8 replies and 3 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101536997
SOVL. Though that's just themed old GNOME, when it didn't suck balls
>>
>>101536101
There have been DEs in pretty much ever toolkit, but only Qt and GTK have been relevant: https://eylenburg.github.io/de_comparison.htm
And Motif in the 90s, I guess.
>>
>>101538260
That's a nice comparison table! But why do you think it is that way?
>>
>>101536101
>since it is programmed in C, porting it to Qt would be certainly difficult
what?? C++ compiler will be able to compile C
>>
>>101538408
True, but Qt has no good C bindings and it's supposedly quite a pain in the ass

File: 1718251791012022.jpg (454 KB, 1038x1131)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>Finally, Wallossek took a microscope to the RTX 4080 Gallardo's paste to see its individual properties. Sure enough, the paste is a cheaply made formula with a weird oily mixture that dries up in minutes if you wipe it with your finger. It also has particles of up to 16 µm, which Wallossek says is too big for a thermal paste application. Massive particles of aluminum oxide have been added to the paste to achieve higher thermal conductivity easily in the short term, but quickly reduce its effectiveness in the long term as the particles create enough space for the oily paste to run through and out of the particles altogether, causing the paste to dissolve quickly.

LMAO EVERY SINGLE NVIDIA 40 SERIES AIB USES THE SAME DIRT CHEAP BARGAIN BIN TAIWAN PASTE THAT PUMPS OUT AND SHITS AFTER A YEAR HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


If you bought a 40-series card I suggest you repaste that shit ASAP
177 replies and 14 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>101532978
These fans aren't audible above the noise of my case/rads at 2250 (case at ~850 radsl fans at ~1050). Also you do see the temp is in the 75C range? My profile starts its ramp after 67C.

>>101532939
My curve is set for 1.01 at 2850, but what you're seeing is a high (not near max) overclock setting. The card can hold >3Ghz and pass 3dmark stress testing as such. I believe my 3dmark website records show 3030-3015Mhz.

>inb4 any comments
Card does 280watts at 62C at 1400 fan rpm on my normal settings.
Card stays cold enough for me to consider 1.01v acceptable.
VRAM stays below 70C even at +1625 and fully heatsoaked card.

I made a comment about the difference between MSRP-level cards and more expensive primo cards. This is the difference.
>>
e
>>
>>101509452
>Bought Asus TUF 4070
Should I be worried?
>>
>>101528064
>maybe you were exaggerating all the rest of the book.
he was lmao
Most of that shit was completely made up
>>
>>101536120
>The only way to solve for pump out is PCM
Time to stock up on Kryosheets then $$$.


[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.